PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Alabama Football At Wallace Wade

Atlanta Duke
05-13-2008, 09:25 PM
This is from college football writer Tony Barnhart of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Alabama-Duke at Dome almost done: Just talked to Joe Alleva, the outgoing athletics director at Duke who is headed to LSU this summer. Alleva told me that before he leaves Duke he hopes to sign a contract to play a football game with Alabama in the Georgia Dome in 2010. Duke has a home game with the Crimson Tide that year and the Atlanta Sports Council has pitched moving the game to the Georgia Dome for more money and recruiting exposure. Alleva said that new head coach David Cutcliffe, an Alabama grad, has signed off on the idea. “It just makes sense for Duke,” Alleva said.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfb/entries/2008/05/13/bc_coach_says_a.html

Meaning Duke is going to lose anyhow so why not make some $$ out of the deal by splitting the gate for a Georgia Dome filled with Bama fans in Atlanta?

Duvall
05-13-2008, 09:33 PM
This is from college football writer Tony Barnhart of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Alabama-Duke at Dome almost done: Just talked to Joe Alleva, the outgoing athletics director at Duke who is headed to LSU this summer. Alleva told me that before he leaves Duke he hopes to sign a contract to play a football game with Alabama in the Georgia Dome in 2010. Duke has a home game with the Crimson Tide that year and the Atlanta Sports Council has pitched moving the game to the Georgia Dome for more money and recruiting exposure. Alleva said that new head coach David Cutcliffe, an Alabama grad, has signed off on the idea. “It just makes sense for Duke,” Alleva said.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfb/entries/2008/05/13/bc_coach_says_a.html

Meaning Duke is going to lose anyhow so why not make some $$ out of the deal by splitting the gate for a Georgia Dome filled with Bama fans in Atlanta?

Screw that. I'd rather cancel the game. Let Bama find its patsies in FCS.

DevilWolf
05-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Am I the only one who remembers how we had Bama beat on their home turf before (shocker) a missed field goal changed the entire game late in the third quarter?

I want another shot at these guys, especially in 2010. I'd rather the game be in Durham also, but I'm all for allowing our guys a chance to play a big game in an NFL stadium. You know how K prepares our basketball team for the post season by playing big games in neutral locations? Keep in mind by 2010 we might also be preparing for big football games in the post-season at neutral sites as well.

Acymetric
05-13-2008, 11:24 PM

Are there all that many Bama fans in Atlanta? I mean, I'm sure theres a good bit, but I'd expect it to be more GT and Georgia fans. I'm sure there's some Duke fans in the area (my Dad for one) that would go, especially if we're as good as I'd like to think we'll be by that time. Plus I think it would be cool to see Duke in a huge arena...getting to play in an NFL stadium might even be a slight recruiting draw for that class...

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Plus I think it would be cool to see Duke in a huge arena...getting to play in an NFL stadium might even be a slight recruiting draw for that class...

I think seeing them play in Wade with a capacity crowd would be a better draw. It's a great stadium when it's filled.

Duvall
05-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Are there all that many Bama fans in Atlanta?

Doesn't matter - Atlanta is two hours from Birmingham and less than three hours from Tuscaloosa.

Acymetric
05-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Doesn't matter - Atlanta is two hours from Birmingham and less than three hours from Tuscaloosa.

Well honestly, I don't think Duke fans would outnumber Alabama fans by a whole lot if we played in Wade either. I know, hopefully people really start coming out, but truthfully there are Alabama fans everywhere and the ones that are far removed from the school would come out for their one chance to see their team play. There would be a lot of "Crimson" in Wade for that game, I think.

Seeing Wade packed full would be great, but there are plenty of other games where I think fans are going to turn out (UNC, possibly some other ACC teams...). This is a good opportunity to play in a big venue, make some money, get some exposure for the team as we're improving. Would there be a better chance of the game getting tv time (even on a less popular channel, say cstv or espnu) if its in a bigger arena like this?

devilirium
05-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Would be better for us if the game was played in Wallace Wade, but you have to remember that the storied out of conference teams haven't played at Wallace Wade in a long time (unless you want to count a team like Navy that the really great teams in the early 60's or perhaps Miami with Bernie Kosar in the early 80's) We played Alabama in Birmingham in '72 and there was no return game. We haven't played Tennessee at home since the late 50's. Stanford, when they were really good, played us at WW in the '71, I think. We played Ohio State at the Horseshoe in the early 80's with no return game.

And, to alter your comment, it's a great stadium when it's filled with home fans. The Virginia Tech game last year was a full house, and it was like Lane Stadium south for the Hokies. Hell, we even played Sandman to greet their team in deference to VT.

And to add to Devil Wolf's point, I remember. I made the pilgrimmage (one of about 20 Duke fans). Duke was in the game with about 6 min. left in the 4th qtr. Saban will have his team better prepared than Shula, though.

DevilWolf
05-14-2008, 07:55 AM
And Cutcliffe will have us better prepared than Roof. :-)

davekay1971
05-14-2008, 08:31 AM
And Cutcliffe will have us better prepared than Roof. :-)

Bama would kill us. Plain and simple. That being said, it's still probably a good game for Duke. Actually, it's a no-lose situation for Duke (except that we will lose the game). It'll generate money for the athletic department, give us some regional/national TV exposure, and if Duke plays at all well, it'll be a recruiting draw along the lines of "Wow, Duke's not rolling over, this new coach really must be turning Duke football around".

I don't much like Duke being someone else' patsy, but, realistically, that's where are football team has been since the mid 90's. We've been an automatic win for most of our opponents for years.

Kdogg
05-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Duke has done this in the past. My freshman year we moved the home opener against FSU to the Orange Bowl. Overall I think the positives out ways the negatives.

bluedev_92
05-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Screw that. I'd rather cancel the game. Let Bama find its patsies in FCS.

As opposed to finding its patsies in the ACC?

Huh?
05-14-2008, 09:33 AM
2010? Saban will have Bama a National Title contender by then. That might be a rough one, or maybe Renfree will be leading us too a huge upset.

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Duke has done this in the past. My freshman year we moved the home opener against FSU to the Orange Bowl.

Yes, and alot of people complained. The coach at the time said he would never give a home game away again. But then again he wasn't coach for very long.

ugadevil
05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
2010? Saban will have Bama a National Title contender by then. That might be a rough one, or maybe Renfree will be leading us too a huge upset.

What makes you think Saban will stick around until 2010? I'm sure something else will come up that peaks his interest. I like the idea of this game. Hopefully, it will produce an atmosphere that comes along with a big bowl game. Possibly, a taste of what it would be like to play in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl?

wilson
05-14-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm excited about the game, and I will definitely go. In fact, it looks to me like a tailor-made event for the Atlanta Mafia.;)
Will we get trounced? Probably.
Will it be a big-game atmosphere? Perhaps not; it seems that an intense, competitive game is a prerequisite for that. But it will be full-ish, at least with Alabama fans having made the couple of hours' trip east. The Georgia Dome is a great atmosphere with a big crowd, and if this one is anything like a Peach Bowl crowd, people will get their money's worth.

blublood
05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
And to add to Devil Wolf's point, I remember. I made the pilgrimmage (one of about 20 Duke fans). Duke was in the game with about 6 min. left in the 4th qtr. Saban will have his team better prepared than Shula, though.

Yeah, that was one of the most perversely great games I've ever been to. The sound of 80,000 fans falling completely silent was terrific; I've never been in that tiny of a cheering section, hated by that many people simultaneously. :D

Bama always travels well and Atlanta is straight over on I-20. For sure, they will have what amounts to a homefield advantage.

Bluedawg
05-14-2008, 03:24 PM

Don't forget we are moving into a new era for Duke football. We won't be an "easy win" anymore

RelativeWays
05-14-2008, 03:32 PM
This could be awesome. My dad is a huge Bama fan and we could get tickets to go to see our favorite teams play each other. Granted, Alabama would probably fare better than 2 years ago but you never know. We could have taken UL-Lafayette.....I think.

Festus13
05-14-2008, 06:54 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that " ..... Duke is going to lose anyhow ..... "! Duke barely lost the last time they played Alabama (at their home field), Duke has the new Coach, the new attitude (just look into their eyes), and some time to develop before this proposed game. Challenges are what make teams better and develop character in young men!

Atlanta Duke
05-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that " ..... Duke is going to lose anyhow ..... "! Duke barely lost the last time they played Alabama (at their home field), Duke has the new Coach, the new attitude (just look into their eyes), and some time to develop before this proposed game. Challenges are what make teams better and develop character in young men!

I was attempting to deconstruct Alleva's statement, not fatalistically assume Duke football will always be dismal.

The only way it "makes sense" to give up a home game against a tough opponent for a less than neutral site (they are not playing the game in Charlotte but in SEC country a one hour drive from the Bama border) would appear to be based on the assumption the loss is a given. Props to Bama for negotiating both a quasi-home field advantage and a bigger payday out of this.

Festus13
05-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Given the present circumstances, I believe this move is best for Duke football. While the coach, his staff, his players, and even a few fans (fanatics, we'll call them) have shown a changed attitude about Duke football, I wouldn't go so far as to say that about the 'average' fan until the stadium starts to fill. This change in venue for this game will pay some bills, get some publicity, it is NOT necessarily in Alabama's home turf area, and will shock the rest of the football world with the effort Duke will show. Hey, it may even make television with a stadium of people around.

On another note, I do believe Mr. Alleva served Duke admirably and should be shown some courtesy for his efforts (including getting this game). :rolleyes:

tbyers11
05-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I was attempting to deconstruct Alleva's statement, not fatalistically assume Duke football will always be dismal.

The only way it "makes sense" to give up a home game against a tough opponent for a less than neutral site (they are not playing the game in Charlotte but in SEC country a one hour drive from the Bama border) would appear to be based on the assumption the loss is a given. Props to Bama for negotiating both a quasi-home field advantage and a bigger payday out of this.

I agree with the bolded sentiment above. I was also at Duke when the home game against FSU was played in Jacksonville (IIRC) to make more $$$. Selling the game to FSU definitely gave me the feeling that the Athletic Department assumed that a loss in the game was a given and therefore they might as well make some cash.

If Coach Cutcliffe improves Duke football to a realistic degree over the next two-plus years (a team with a decent shot at bowl eligibility in 2010 (his 3rd year) seems like a reasonable expectation), why on earth would we want to move a home game with a probable top 25 team to Atlanta where we would have a decided crowd disadvantage. I lived in Atlanta from 2000 through 2006 and while UGA fans are the majority, GTech, Alabama and Auburn are not far behind. The crowd would be at least 2 to 1 Bama fans.

I think we have to plan for success and assume that Duke football will be on the upswing in 2 years. IMO, the best way to capitalize on this momentum would be to host a big "event" game at home in 2010 (hopefully in a stadium fresh off renovations) rather than selling it to a marginally neutral site.

Festus13
05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I agree with the bolded sentiment above. I was also at Duke when the home game against FSU was played in Jacksonville (IIRC) to make more $$$. Selling the game to FSU definitely gave me the feeling that the Athletic Department assumed that a loss in the game was a given and therefore they might as well make some cash.

If Coach Cutcliffe improves Duke football to a realistic degree over the next two-plus years (a team with a decent shot at bowl eligibility in 2010 (his 3rd year) seems like a reasonable expectation), why on earth would we want to move a home game with a probable top 25 team to Atlanta where we would have a decided crowd disadvantage. I lived in Atlanta from 2000 through 2006 and while UGA fans are the majority, GTech, Alabama and Auburn are not far behind. The crowd would be at least 2 to 1 Bama fans.

I think we have to plan for success and assume that Duke football will be on the upswing in 2 years. IMO, the best way to capitalize on this momentum would be to host a big "event" game at home in 2010 (hopefully in a stadium fresh off renovations) rather than selling it to a marginally neutral site.

There's an old saying about the spelling of the word "assume" that I'm sure you all know. You can't assume the fans are going to come out in droves until Duke football proves itself and you can't assume the stadium will have ANY renovations when the admin can't even get the restroom facilities cleaned up in a timely manner!

Until those are proven, I'll make my stand with the actions thus far of the team and of the coach. They will take the game to whoever and wherever they are.

tbyers11
05-14-2008, 11:43 PM
There's an old saying about the spelling of the word "assume" that I'm sure you all know. You can't assume the fans are going to come out in droves until Duke football proves itself and you can't assume the stadium will have ANY renovations when the admin can't even get the restroom facilities cleaned up in a timely manner!

Until those are proven, I'll make my stand with the actions thus far of the team and of the coach. They will take the game to whoever and wherever they are.

I realize that fans aren't likely to come out in droves until Duke proves itself. Optimistic assumptions:) about new Duke football regimes in the recent past have not panned out.

I guess my point is that I feel the coaches and administration should have confidence that they will be able to put a buzz-worthy team on the field by year 3 of the Cutcliffe era. Selling that FSU game a few years back really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Of course, all bets are off if they are making such obscene amounts of money on the Georgia Dome deal that they can't pass it up. :D

CameronBornAndBred
09-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Just rediscovered this thread. I wonder where it stands now; I know it's still early in the season, and we have a lot left to prove, but I would love to see this one in Wade.

Acymetric
09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Just rediscovered this thread. I wonder where it stands now; I know it's still early in the season, and we have a lot left to prove, but I would love to see this one in Wade.

I'd actually thought about that a little recently. I think earlier in the thread I supported it, but now I'm not so sure. Seeing Wallace Wade almost full was pretty exciting. As long as we can keep the stadium mostly full of blue I think it'd be better to keep it at home. But if we're just going to let 'Bama fans grab all the tickets anyway it may as well end up in the Georgia Dome to sell more tickets and give a big stadium atmosphere.

Having seen it once, I'm more confident that we can fill up our own stadium, so I kind of hope this hasn't already been set in stone.

killerleft
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I would rather see this game played at Wallace Wade Stadium. Duke should be improved, and the home field advantage might give us a good chance to spring an upset.

I have trouble believing, though, that Alabama agreed to a home-and-home with Duke. Could it be that some off-campus site was always going to be used?

Seems likely to me.

jv001
09-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Just how bad do we need the money? Is it worth giving up the home field advantage? I have been excited about Coach Cut's ability to upgrade our football program and now I read this and wonder what's up. In 2010 we should be in Cut's 3rd year with improvements in all phases of the football program. Why would we move this game to a site where our fans will be out numbered by far. Keep this game in Durham!! Don't sell out for the $$$$$$.

devildeac
09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Just how bad do we need the money? Is it worth giving up the home field advantage? I have been excited about Coach Cut's ability to upgrade our football program and now I read this and wonder what's up. In 2010 we should be in Cut's 3rd year with improvements in all phases of the football program. Why would we move this game to a site where our fans will be out numbered by far. Keep this game in Durham!! Don't sell out for the $$$$$$.

Gotta pay for those new rest rooms and concourse/concessions somehow;)

Inonehand
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM

Until we prove that we can SELL 33,000 tickets to Duke fans even an Alabama-Duke game at Wallace Wade would produce a large red contingent. What is going on this weekend that will get us to the crowd numbers of last Saturday?

DukeSince'77
09-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Answer: The bandwagon.....people love winners and as Coach Cut continues to return Duke to the top of the football world, people will get on board!!

Olympic Fan
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Would be better for us if the game was played in Wallace Wade, but you have to remember that the storied out of conference teams haven't played at Wallace Wade in a long time (unless you want to count a team like Navy that the really great teams in the early 60's or perhaps Miami with Bernie Kosar in the early 80's) We played Alabama in Birmingham in '72 and there was no return game. We haven't played Tennessee at home since the late 50's. Stanford, when they were really good, played us at WW in the '71, I think. We played Ohio State at the Horseshoe in the early 80's with no return game.

And, to alter your comment, it's a great stadium when it's filled with home fans. The Virginia Tech game last year was a full house, and it was like Lane Stadium south for the Hokies. Hell, we even played Sandman to greet their team in deference to VT.

It's been a while since a ranked OOC team visited Wade Stadium.

The last ranked non-ACC team to play in Wade was Miami in 1983. The 'Canes were No. 15 when they visited Durham on Oct. 1, but would go on to win the national championship that year.

Before that Miami visit, you have to go back to 1976, when No. 2 Pitt with TB Tony Dorsett visited Wade. Like Miami, Pitt would go on to win the national title that year.

No. 18 Tulane visited in 1973 and No. 19 Stanford in 1972.

Michigan, which wasn't ranked at the time, visited Wade in 1968.

Duke has signed a lot of one-way contracts with top teams (Florida, Southern Cal, Tennessee). Within the league, Duke has sold home games with Clemson (in 1987 ... also a Duke game with Clemson was moved to Tokyo in 2001) and with Florida State (the 1995 opener was in Orlando, not the Orange Bowl; and in 1999 to Jacksonville).

But that's nothing new -- Duke used to sell home games to something called the Oyster Bowl in Norfolk. The game will be played on a high school field. The 1971 Duke-Clemson game -- when Duke was 4-0 and No. 14 in the nation -- was played there. I remember the long drive home after watching Maryland pound Duke 56-13 in Norfolk.

As for the 2010 Duke-Alabama game ... love to see it in Wally Wade, but I wouldn't mind moving it to Charlotte. By then, Saban should have 'Bama in national title contention (if he's still there) and Cut should have our program competitive again. It would still be on our turf ... but close enough to Alabama to assure a sellout. After Saturday's showing (and I know the house was papered), I still think if Cut improves the program like I think he will, there will be enough Duke fans come out of the woodwork who would be willing to drive 2 1/2 hours to Charlotte for a big game that we could sell 2/3s of the house.

It would be a great bowl-like atmosphere.

PS Noting that the 1976 Pitt national champs and the 1983 Miami national champs played in Durham ... let's see -- the 1993 FSU national champs also played in Durham and the 1981 Clemson national champs played in Durham. We played the 1990 Georgia Tech national co-champs and 2000 FSU away.

So that's four national title teams that played at Wake since 1976.

formerdukeathlete
09-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Gotta pay for those new rest rooms and concourse/concessions somehow;)

A few things. Restrooms and concessions redos are being reevaluated in the context of a much more substantial stadium makeover. K. White is having plans drawn up regarding different capacities of Wade, price points to reach those capacities. These are being drawn up by stadium architects and engineers. RATIO, which drew up plans for a concourse redo with bluestone, is a noteworthy firm. Not sure if they have much experience in complete redos of stadiums. Wade renovations may be phased and allow capacity of up to 50k (What Duke used to draw in the 1950s) - my guess.

The Alabama - Duke game at the Georgia Dome might be televised nationally. The game might be a sell out. Swing revenue, incremental additional revenue to our Football program - net of guarantee for Alabama, might be a half million more $ than playing the game in Wade. Then you have the national tv exposure. I am all for it, as long as it helps incrementally (substantially) in revenue.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Until we prove that we can SELL 33,000 tickets to Duke fans even an Alabama-Duke game at Wallace Wade would produce a large red contingent. What is going on this weekend that will get us to the crowd numbers of last Saturday?

The crowd for this Saturday's game will not be anywhere near where what was expected, due to Hanna, and shouldn't be counted against the fans. For one thing, as noted in another thread, the youth day program has been moved to the Virginia game - that does away with several thousand kids being there. For another, many won't travel if we're still in the remnants of the storm. On the other hand, if anywhere close to 30,000 fans, even 25,000 fans, show up, well WOW! Just WOW!

Inonehand
09-03-2008, 12:57 PM
The crowd for this Saturday's game will not be anywhere near where what was expected, due to Hanna, and shouldn't be counted against the fans. For one thing, as noted in another thread, the youth day program has been moved to the Virginia game - that does away with several thousand kids being there. For another, many won't travel if we're still in the remnants of the storm. On the other hand, if anywhere close to 30,000 fans, even 25,000 fans, show up, well WOW! Just WOW!

True, Hanna has already, and will affect the crowd this weekend. If we have 25k in the stands I would be ecstatic. My point was simple, like me. We gave away 2/3 of the tickets out last weekend. Even if we go on a roll of 3-4 wins (I think very possible) we are still going to have to get 20,000 tickets in the hands of people (buying or free, I don't care) to match last week's crowd.

A poster above stated we could sell 2/3 of the Charlotte stadium to Duke fans for a regular season tilt against Bama. I just don't see it. I've been plenty outnumbered at the two bowl games Duke has played in since I was born. Granted, Birmingham and Tampa are not a 2.5 hour drive from Durham, but our fan base isn't just from Durham either. We have to count on drawing a larger percentage of Duke football fans to sell tickets than almost all of our competitors. Any game against Bama will result in a crowd advantage for the Tide unless the game is played in Durham. And that is a maybe.

killerleft
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
True, Hanna has already, and will affect the crowd this weekend. If we have 25k in the stands I would be ecstatic. My point was simple, like me. We gave away 2/3 of the tickets out last weekend. Even if we go on a roll of 3-4 wins (I think very possible) we are still going to have to get 20,000 tickets in the hands of people (buying or free, I don't care) to match last week's crowd.

A poster above stated we could sell 2/3 of the Charlotte stadium to Duke fans for a regular season tilt against Bama. I just don't see it. I've been plenty outnumbered at the two bowl games Duke has played in since I was born. Granted, Birmingham and Tampa are not a 2.5 hour drive from Durham, but our fan base isn't just from Durham either. We have to count on drawing a larger percentage of Duke football fans to sell tickets than almost all of our competitors. Any game against Bama will result in a crowd advantage for the Tide unless the game is played in Durham. And that is a maybe.

You make some good points, Inonehand. But they all assume that more people will NOT come to Duke home games. That wasn't the case in 1994, when some very good crowds turned out.

And I hope your crystal ball is defective regarding 2010. Sure, Duke has had problems filling the seats for years. There just haven't been enough of us who have been willing to sit through year after year of losing seasons.

But the signs are all positive looking forward. Coach Cutcliffe has reinvigorated both the team and the fanbase. Recruiting is improving. I'm not sure how you can just assume that things will always be the same crowd-wise.

I do agree that getting 36,000 Duke fans to Charlotte would be impossible this year. But 2010 could be altogether different.

jv001
09-04-2008, 10:37 AM

All I've heard regarding Duke football is Coach Cut wanting a different attitude from the players and fans. I certainly don't think moving a home game to Atlanta for the $$$ promotes a positive attitude. By 2010 we should have a better football program and bowl games should be in our future. I do remember Duke playing in the Oyster Bowl in Norfolk, VA. because I used to go to those games. But that was not like selling out for the $$$. It was like our BB team playing in preseason tournaments. No way I change my mind on this subject.

CameronBornAndBred
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Well, all the speculation is moot now. Alabama will be playing in Wallace Wade in 2010 (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/alabama-coming-to-wallace-wade-in-10). How cool!

“It’s pretty straight forward,” White said. “The 2010 Duke-Alabama game is our home game. We simply decided to play it at Wallace Wade.” --Kevin White

DU82
10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Well, all the speculation is moot now. Alabama will be playing in Wallace Wade in 2010 (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/alabama-coming-to-wallace-wade-in-10). How cool!

“It’s pretty straight forward,” White said. “The 2010 Duke-Alabama game is our home game. We simply decided to play it at Wallace Wade.” --Kevin White

Wow! Alabama's the biggest "name" OOC team to come to Wallace Wade in a long time? When's the last time somebody that had the football rep that 'bama has played in WW? Miami in their first national championship year ('83?) Even then, they were somewhat of a surprise NC. A question for Jim Summer, perhaps?

DevilWolf
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow! Alabama's the biggest "name" OOC team to come to Wallace Wade in a long time? When's the last time somebody that had the football rep that 'bama has played in WW? Miami in their first national championship year ('83?) Even then, they were somewhat of a surprise NC. A question for Jim Summer, perhaps?

One has to wonder if Saban will be making the trip in 2010. :-)

Bob Green
10-01-2008, 09:31 PM

On 10/2/76 Pittsburgh defeated Duke, in Wallace Wade, 44-31. This was Tony Dorsett's senior season when Pitt went 12-0 and won the National Championship.

brevity
10-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Are there all that many Bama fans in Atlanta? I mean, I'm sure theres a good bit, but I'd expect it to be more GT and Georgia fans.

I know the point is moot now, but back when I lived in Atlanta, the pecking order seemed to be:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Georgia Tech

Bear in mind this was circa 1990, when GT was no slouch in the football and basketball departments.

ugadevil
10-04-2008, 08:38 PM
I know the point is moot now, but back when I lived in Atlanta, the pecking order seemed to be:

1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Georgia Tech

Bear in mind this was circa 1990, when GT was no slouch in the football and basketball departments.

I'd say there are more Auburn fans in Atlanta than Alabama fans. There are tons of Auburn fans/alumni in the Atlanta area. I would assume that there are a good amount of Bama fans as well.

Atldukie79
10-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I concur that there are more Auburn fans in Atlanta than Alabama fans. Before Georgia began a state lottery and provided free tuition to students maintaining a "B" average in High School (and then in college), Auburn was probably as popular as UGA in the Atlanta area. Since the "Hope Scholarship" program, UGA has rocketed up the scale of rankings and popularity and Auburn has suffered.

In any event, Ga Tech is the smaller school who rarely sells out its football stadium and is less popular than the bigger state school around the corner (UGA) and love to emphasize its higher academic ranking...sound familiar?

Football pecking order in Atlanta:

UGA
Auburn
Ga Tech
Clemson, Tenn, Alabama, Florida, FSU (tied)

banjeaux
08-18-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm a Crimson Tide fan living in Slidell, Louisiana, near Chris Duhon's high school, Salmen. Five years ago, the old buildings were heavily damaged by Katrina's 8 foot storm surge in the area. Construction to rebuild the school is complete.

Locally, Duhon is still very popular and still does much for youth in our area, during the off-season. His visits to Slidell bring positive publicity to Duke basketball. Many locals attended his recent wedding in Duke Chapel. Earlier, on this forum, I initiated a thread, with a link to a Times-Picayune article about the wedding.

Though I never met Duhon, I'll be forever grateful for his friendship and attention to my step-daughter. Eden had brittle-bone disease (Osteogenesis Imperfecta). Often, Duhon would lead as her aide pushed her wheelchair through crowded halls safely, during change of classes. What a fine young man!

I stumbled upon this thread with a google search for "Duke football forum." After reading, I thought y'all might have fun revisiting this thread, from nearly 2 years ago, since the Bama game is only a month away.

Six months ago on TideFans.com, there was a post about Duke season tickets. Many of us low-roller Bama fans jumped at the chance to see our Crimson Tide play in such a storied venue.

Yep, I'm finalizing plans to be at Wallace Wade. Got a room for two nights at a local by-the-hour motel. :) Seems, the parking for folks like me is in the area of Erwin Rd at Flowers Drive, to the north of Sarah P. Duke Garden, right? I'm in my 71st year, so I'll allow my old legs 'bout 30 minutes to walk 1 mile (my estimate) to stadium. Sound 'bout right to y'all?

I expect most Bama fans will be well behaved in your city and on your campus. However, we have some jerks, too. You might want to go to You Tube and search for Rammer Jammer. The cheer has a taunting portion, which is tacky, except, when the target is the hated Viles or AllBarn. :o This cheer began after the Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant era. I'm sure he would have shut it down.

Other than the historic A-Day Game in 2007, I've not watched the Tide in Tuscaloosa, since 1958, when Denny Stadium was smaller than Wallace Wade. However, I've been fortunate to attend several Bama vs LSU games in Baton Rouge and Bama in the New Orleans in several SugarBowls and vs Tulane. My latest game to attend was the SugarBowl loss to Utah. Since then, we're undefeated in 14 games and counting. I'm expecting this to be a victory for Alabama, especially since it may be the last I'm able to attend.

So, who's going to be at Wallace Wade Stadium on September 18th for this historic game?

Roll Tide!
Go Blue Devils!

Indoor66
08-18-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm a Crimson Tide fan living in Slidell, Louisiana, near Chris Duhon's high school, Salmen. Five years ago, the old buildings were heavily damaged by Katrina's 8 foot storm surge in the area. Construction to rebuild the school is complete.

Locally, Duhon is still very popular and still does much for youth in our area, during the off-season. His visits to Slidell bring positive publicity to Duke basketball. Many locals attended his recent wedding in Duke Chapel. Earlier, on this forum, I initiated a thread, with a link to a Times-Picayune article about the wedding.

Though I never met Duhon, I'll be forever grateful for his friendship and attention to my step-daughter. Eden had brittle-bone disease (Osteogenesis Imperfecta). Often, Duhon would lead as her aide pushed her wheelchair through crowded halls safely, during change of classes. What a fine young man!

I stumbled upon this thread with a google search for "Duke football forum." After reading, I thought y'all might have fun revisiting this thread, from nearly 2 years ago, since the Bama game is only a month away.

Six months ago on TideFans.com, there was a post about Duke season tickets. Many of us low-roller Bama fans jumped at the chance to see our Crimson Tide play in such a storied venue.

Yep, I'm finalizing plans to be at Wallace Wade. Got a room for two nights at a local by-the-hour motel. :) Seems, the parking for folks like me is in the area of Erwin Rd at Flowers Drive, to the north of Sarah P. Duke Garden, right? I'm in my 71st year, so I'll allow my old legs 'bout 30 minutes to walk 1 mile (my estimate) to stadium. Sound 'bout right to y'all?

I expect most Bama fans will be well behaved in your city and on your campus. However, we have some jerks, too. You might want to go to You Tube and search for Rammer Jammer. The cheer has a taunting portion, which is tacky, except, when the target is the hated Viles or AllBarn. :o This cheer began after the Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant era. I'm sure he would have shut it down.

Other than the historic A-Day Game in 2007, I've not watched the Tide in Tuscaloosa, since 1958, when Denny Stadium was smaller than Wallace Wade. However, I've been fortunate to attend several Bama vs LSU games in Baton Rouge and Bama in the New Orleans in several SugarBowls and vs Tulane. My latest game to attend was the SugarBowl loss to Utah. Since then, we're undefeated in 14 games and counting. I'm expecting this to be a victory for Alabama, especially since it may be the last I'm able to attend.

So, who's going to be at Wallace Wade Stadium on September 18th for this historic game?

Roll Tide!
Go Blue Devils!

Welcome to the Board. I can't be there but hope that you have a great time in Durham and at Duke (with a little sadness to you at the end of the game :)). A solid 30 minutes should be adequate and you will walk through the West Campus - the Gothic Wonderland. It should be a beautiful walk.

I hope you will return here after your visit and give us your impression and experiences.

GO DUKE

4decadedukie
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Sir, thank you for this post (as well as your initial one), for your support of Duke, and for the respect you accord to Chris Duhon (whose decency, community spirit, and leadership are an inspiration to MANY Dukies, extending well beyond his outstanding basketball talents).

I hope you greatly enjoy the game, which -- in large part -- celebrates Wallace Wade's tremendous contributors both to Alabama and to Duke.

If your trek to the stadium and back is a little too adventurous, please send me a "private message" and I will try to arrange some type of alternate parking arrangements.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
banjeaux, as you walk through Blue Devil Alley on your way to Wallace Wade Stadium, please stop by the "Brunchgate" tent (we're about in the middle), introduce yourself and have some refreshments and a bite to eat. Hope you enjoy your trip, but the ride home will be bitter sweet for you, as you will have seen the upset of the decade :D

banjeaux
08-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the Board. I can't be there but hope that you have a great time in Durham and at Duke (with a little sadness to you at the end of the game :)). A solid 30 minutes should be adequate and you will walk through the West Campus - the Gothic Wonderland. It should be a beautiful walk.

I hope you will return here after your visit and give us your impression and experiences.

Indoor66, indeed, I would be more than a little sad, if my Tide doesn't continue its (hopefully) 26 game regular season win streak. Currently, we're at 24 and counting. Before we meet ya'll at Wallace Wade, we host San Jose State and Penn State at Bryant-Denny. Bama should be heavily favored against SJSU. Penn State presents a tougher hurdle, of course.

I look forward to seeing Duke's beautiful campus. I'm already impressed with the response to my post, by DBR members. I plan to post a report of my experiences.

While making parking plans, I noticed public lots don't open 'til 11:30. I may need alternative plans, to arrive as early as I'd like. I'm not sure Duke's powers-that-be understand how big a game this is for thousands of Bama fans. Since most aren't familiar with the campus and hold GA tickets, we want to be there early to assure good seats. Seems to me that would lessen traffic hassles. Plus, likely, earlier arrivals would mean more concession sales. I know y'all host ACC teams with red colors. However, prepare for a different shade of red - our Crimson invasion. ;) Don't be surprised, if we outnumber y'all. We did it in the SuperDome vs Tulane in '92. Of course, the dome was a larger venue and closer to Durham for most.

Sir, thank you for this post (as well as your initial one), for your support of Duke, and for the respect you accord to Chris Duhon (whose decency, community spirit, and leadership are an inspiration to MANY Dukies, extending well beyond his outstanding basketball talents).

I hope you greatly enjoy the game, which -- in large part -- celebrates Wallace Wade's tremendous contributors both to Alabama and to Duke.

If your trek to the stadium and back is a little too adventurous, please send me a "private message" and I will try to arrange some type of alternate parking arrangements.

Thanks for your gracious response, 4decadedukie. I don't know Mr. Duhon personally. Locally, his reputation is one to envy. As mentioned earlier, he still contributes to local causes, with appearances, etc.

Yes, this game celebrates Coach Wade's efforts on behalf of all college football. Alabama & Duke, of course, were greatest beneficiaries of his legacy. Outside Bryant-Denny Stadium, is a statue of Coach Wade. Other statues in the Walk of Champions are of Frank Thomas, Paul Bryant, Gene Stallings, and Nick Saban (soon). Each has led Bama to, at least, one national championship. Y'all know a lot about national championships in basketball. At Alabama, football reigns supreme.:D

Please keep your offer of alternative parking information open, for now. As we get closer to September 18th, I'll know my final plans better. Thanks.

banjeaux
08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
banjeaux, as you walk through Blue Devil Alley on your way to Wallace Wade Stadium, please stop by the "Brunchgate" tent (we're about in the middle), introduce yourself and have some refreshments and a bite to eat. Hope you enjoy your trip, but the ride home will be bitter sweet for you, as you will have seen the upset of the decade :D

OZ, I'll make a special effort to stop by "Brunchgate." Too late for the upset of the decade, though. Our rivals never let us forget Louisiana-Monroe at Bryant-Denny in 2007 and, to a lesser extent, the Sugar Bowl after the 2008 season, vs Utah. :( Since the embarrassment in the SugarBowl, we went through the nation's 2nd toughest schedule in 2009, with out a loss. Many feel the hurt of the high-profile upset vs Utah caused our players to work harder with more dedication, last year. What ever, they won the BCS Championship.

On a side note, to all Duke fans. be alert for fans of our in state rival, who frequent boards of our opponents. They pretend to be Alabama fans as they attempt to spread manure. Also, they attempt to cast down about our claimed number of national championships.

devildeac
08-21-2010, 07:05 AM
OZ, I'll make a special effort to stop by "Brunchgate." Too late for the upset of the decade, though. Our rivals never let us forget Louisiana-Monroe at Bryant-Denny in 2007 and, to a lesser extent, the Sugar Bowl after the 2008 season, vs Utah. :( Since the embarrassment in the SugarBowl, we went through the nation's 2nd toughest schedule in 2009, with out a loss. Many feel the hurt of the high-profile upset vs Utah caused our players to work harder with more dedication, last year. What ever, they won the BCS Championship.

On a side note, to all Duke fans. be alert for fans of our in state rival, who frequent boards of our opponents. They pretend to be Alabama fans as they attempt to spread manure. Also, they attempt to cast down about our claimed number of national championships.

"In state rival," "spread manure," "claimed number of national championships," This poster's been reading IC too much:rolleyes:. Oh, wait a minute, s/he's talking about football;),

Seriously, thanks for your contributions here. Looking forward to this game immensely.

duke98
08-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Many thanks, banjeaux, for resurrecting this thread, and also for your truly gentlemanly demeanor in an age of Internet trolls and flamers. To be honest, I haven't visited the DBR boards much recently because I was so tired of sifting through the sludge to get to the good stuff (although I know our diligent moderators have put in a great deal of effort to tackle this problem).

I became a Duke football season ticket holder this year for two equally important reasons: to recognize and acknowledge Coach Cutcliffe for his dedication to the program in light of an offer from Tennessee, and to see Duke hold its own against a top-ranked opponent on its home field. Just reading this thread gives me chills to think about what the atmosphere in Wally Wade will be like on September 18th. I'm practically counting the days! Thank goodness for the home opener against Elon in two weeks to tide me over. :)

Props also to new(ish) A.D. Kevin White for sticking to his guns and keeping this home game in Wally Wade where it belongs. I remember hearing the talk of relocating this game to the Atlanta Dome as mentioned in the original posts of this thread. But this game belongs in historic Wallace Wade Stadium. After four years in grad school cheering for the Oregon Ducks at Autzen Stadium, I'm exciting to make my return to my alma mater.

CameronBornAndBred
08-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Props also to new(ish) A.D. Kevin White for sticking to his guns and keeping this home game in Wally Wade where it belongs. I remember hearing the talk of relocating this game to the Atlanta Dome as mentioned in the original posts of this thread. But this game belongs in historic Wallace Wade Stadium. After four years in grad school cheering for the Oregon Ducks at Autzen Stadium, I'm exciting to make my return to my alma mater.
It is Coach Cut that we have to thank for this game still being played in Wade..although I don't doubt that Dr. White looked at it and supported his decision. I've heard from Ozzie, who was at the fan day today, that this game is not only sold out, but will have extra bleachers brought into the south endzone. That's awesome. To all that will be at the game, please stop by before and after to introduce yourself under the Brunchgate tent..we are few tents up in the Card gym lot from DitbD. (If it's not the Alabama game you make it to, still come seek us out, we're there for all 7, arriving early, leaving late.) GO DUKE!!!!

77devil
08-22-2010, 10:59 AM
It is Coach Cut that we have to thank for this game still being played in Wade..although I don't doubt that Dr. White looked at it and supported his decision. I've heard from Ozzie, who was at the fan day today, that this game is not only sold out, but will have extra bleachers brought into the south endzone. That's awesome. To all that will be at the game, please stop by before and after to introduce yourself under the Brunchgate tent..we are few tents up in the Card gym lot from DitbD. (If it's not the Alabama game you make it to, still come seek us out, we're there for all 7, arriving early, leaving late.) GO DUKE!!!!

Wally Wade sold out with bleachers in the south end zone. When was the last time that happened? Did a search but couldn't find anything. I think we're going to be outnumbered. :(

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-22-2010, 11:00 AM

Please do come by any game day and introduce yourself! You'll find me at Tent #1 within easy access to Cameron and Wallace, two of my favorite places.

If you've not yet been there early enough for the Devil Walk, this is the year to give it a try. The team begins in the main quad, near the Chapel, and makes its way across campus to the stadium. There are many choice areas where you can see and be seen. Experience this exciting tradition Coach Cutcliffe has brought with him..... and we've made it our own! The walk begins about 2 and a quarter hours before the game, so you'll want to be in place a little while (15-30 minutes) before that time so that you can see and greet everyone on the team.

Season tickets are still available as are packages for three ACC games (you pick the three) for $85 for our ACC home games. There's still time to become part of the fun and excitement on Saturdays in Wallace Wade Stadium, but time is running out!

CameronBornAndBred
08-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Season tickets are still available as are packages for three ACC games (you pick the three) for $85 for our ACC home games. There's still time to become part of the fun and excitement on Saturdays in Wallace Wade Stadium, but time is running out!
According to the online ticket office season tickets are sold out (woohoo!), but you can get the pick 3 packages. Also single game tickets are available for all except Alabama.

At this point we are SOLD OUT of Season Tickets, if you would like to be put on the waiting list please call the Duke Ticket Office at 1-877-375-3853 or (919) 681-2583
https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&_MODE_=SEASONSELECT&SALE_TKT_SEASON_ID=85612

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-22-2010, 12:08 PM
According to the online ticket office season tickets are sold out (woohoo!), but you can get the pick 3 packages. Also single game tickets are available for all except Alabama.

https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&_MODE_=SEASONSELECT&SALE_TKT_SEASON_ID=85612

Wonderful update! Selling out season tickets is an important milestone.

SilkyJ
08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Wonderful update! Selling out season tickets is an important milestone.

Wow. That is an important milestone and not one I thought we would achieve so quickly (after all, we still don't have a winning season with him yet).

Nonetheless I am happy to hear it. Here's to Coach Cut doing his thing!

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow. That is an important milestone and not one I thought we would achieve so quickly (after all, we still don't have a winning season with him yet).

Nonetheless I am happy to hear it. Here's to Coach Cut doing his thing!

Alabama helped make this milestone possible .......plus I understand that temporary bleachers will be in place at the south end of the field for the Alabama game. Those will be priced at $77/seat. If interested check with the Iron Duke office.