PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard

BlueintheFace
05-12-2008, 11:12 PM
So Cameron will be outfitted with a new scoreboard complete with video features. I am not sure how I feel about this. Part of me wants everything to stay the same except the few advertisements around the building... the other part of me just can't wait to see Gerald dunks replayed... thoughts?

msdukie
05-12-2008, 11:18 PM
I'd like to see an identical version of the current scoreboard (right down to the slide-in names for the visiting ACC teams and recurring non-conference opponents (Michigan, UCLA)).

Of course, this "identical" scoreboard should have an indication of remaining timeouts and working lightbulbs.

hughgs
05-13-2008, 05:15 AM
So Cameron will be outfitted with a new scoreboard complete with video features. I am not sure how I feel about this. Part of me wants everything to stay the same except the few advertisements around the building... the other part of me just can't wait to see Gerald dunks replayed... thoughts?

Everything the same as of what date? 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990? Would you be happy with a new scoreboard without the video?

K24U
05-13-2008, 07:51 AM
If you don't like a new scoreboard just wait until the suites are put in.

markbdevil
05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
......and the fireworks, smoke, mascots on motorcycles. Yuck!

Indoor66
05-13-2008, 09:55 AM
......and the fireworks, smoke, mascots on motorcycles. Yuck!

...and piped in music.

watzone
05-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Good grief Charlie Brown! Duke has thought about the scoreboard for a long time now and at some point you have to spruce Cameron up. There will be no motor cycles or flashing lights, but stepping into the modern era for a video scoreboard is a must. Cameron will in no way lose it's allure and I for one am looking forward to it, as is our staff and players. It won't hurt recruiting either, and can be used to juice the crowd even more.

EarlJam
05-13-2008, 10:02 AM
...and piped in music.

And retractable dome.

DukeDude
05-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Good grief Charlie Brown! Duke has thought about the scoreboard for a long time now and at some point you have to spruce Cameron up. There will be no motor cycles or flashing lights, but stepping into the modern era for a video scoreboard is a must. Cameron will in no way lose it's allure and I for one am looking forward to it, as is our staff and players. It won't hurt recruiting either, and can be used to juice the crowd even more.

And replay bad officiating calls over and over! Just kidding.

I think is a great thing.

Jfrosh
05-13-2008, 10:08 AM
It's been in place for over 20 years and as much as I love it for nostalgia's sake it is time to move into the 21st century.

Acymetric
05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm so excited that the game stats will be readable that I don't even think I care about anything else. I've been hoping for a new scoreboard for a long time (ever since I realized they'd never actually replace the bulbs...).

Hot Route
05-13-2008, 10:35 AM
This can only be a positive. This will not diminish the classic style of Cameron. This will only let us see more of Jon Scheyer's weird facial expressions! That's my guy!

Bluedawg
05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
And retractable dome.

The plans for the dome is already there!
http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/images/cameron/proposed-gym.jpg

Bluedawg
05-13-2008, 10:41 AM

I think its a great idea.

DukeDevil
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
and a krispy kreme blimp dropping coupons for free doughnuts!

Johnboy
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
It's been in place for over 20 years and as much as I love it for nostalgia's sake it is time to move into the 21st century.

Way to make a guy feel old! I was in school when the current scoreboard was installed. It's old and we need a new one.

Oh Canada
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a great idea.

I'm sure the crazies could embrace the new scoreboard, make a deal somehow so that during stops in play or timeouts they could use it to their advantage!

Classof06
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I don't mind the video screen on the scoreboard. As great as Cameron already is, it is 2008 and I don't think having a video screen compromises the ambience of the stadium. As a student going to games in Cameron, I always wondered why we didn't already have a video screen. When I went back for the BC game this past February, I wondered the same thing once again.

And when you compare the idea of a video screen to that of inserting skyboxes into CIS, I'll take the former. In a heartbeat.

weezie
05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
And a porch with a hot tub, where special fans are selected to enjoy the game and relax at the same time!

Lavabe
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM

So long as the scoreboard tells us who has how many fouls, and who just got fouled, it'll be great. And clearly an advantage over watching the games on TV!;)

Mmmmm... krispy kreme blimp ... mmmm!! LOL!

Cheers,
Lavabe

merry
05-13-2008, 11:11 PM
So long as the scoreboard tells us who has how many fouls, and who just got fouled, it'll be great.

I like the current scheme of listing the number of who's currently in the game with how many points and fouls and listing the number of team fouls. When I go to games at NCSU they have the fancy video Jumbotron but a lot fewer constantly visible stats.

devildeac
05-14-2008, 10:03 PM
And replay bad officiating calls over and over! Just kidding.

I think is a great thing.

bad officiating calls? what are they? Only Seethe Greenberg and Paul Stewitt and Sweaty Gary and... you get the idea of the folks who would just love to see all the "bad" calls replayed so they further mine the idea, that, YES, Duke STILL gets all the calls;).

geraldsneighbor
05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
I just can't wait to watch Tyler traveling in HD on the scoreboard. That'll be a treat.

LetItBD08
05-14-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm torn on this development. I always liked the fact that we were more concerned with the actual game (even during stoppage) and not with prepackaged videos. I don't mean to go all 11e (I mean really, I've only been a Duke alum for less than a week - wow that's weird to say), but I hope this does not detract from the game. I have faith it won't, though.

I asked Debbie K about this a couple of weeks ago in my undergrad days, and she assured me that there will be no cheesy noise-o-meters or related gimmicks. Once and a while they'll show the senior video of former players and such she said.

And yes, it would be nice to know timeouts without remembering to keep track. Replays here and there would be nice I guess.

adam
05-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I think a new video scoreboard would be great... Just make sure to show Dockery's halfcourt shot over and over again whenever V-Tech is in town. :)

DeepBlue70
05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm torn on this development. I always liked the fact that we were more concerned with the actual game (even during stoppage) and not with prepackaged videos. I don't mean to go all 11e (I mean really, I've only been a Duke alum for less than a week - wow that's weird to say), but I hope this does not detract from the game. I have faith it won't, though.

I asked Debbie K about this a couple of weeks ago in my undergrad days, and she assured me that there will be no cheesy noise-o-meters or related gimmicks. Once and a while they'll show the senior video of former players and such she said.

And yes, it would be nice to know timeouts without remembering to keep track. Replays here and there would be nice I guess.

I went to the Duke-UNC game in Chapel Hill a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how lame the jumbotron was. The part that really got to me was the instruction to "get up and make some noise!!!" as if the fans didn't know how or when to cheer. Please save me from that.

BadgerBarry
05-15-2008, 03:30 PM
There's a video scoreboard in the Kohl Center here in Madison. Based on the experiences here, I think you'll be disappointed with the video scoreboard in Cameron. My experiences suggest:
- you'll find the "live play" distracting.
- you'll never see a controversial play on the video. If it's a play where the call of the officials is questionable, they just won't show it. You'll be surprised how many times you WANT to see the replay, but it's not there. Don't get rid of your tivos.
- most of the "down time", ie timeouts, is used to promote sponsors rather than give you updated statistics.

I guess I'd call it a big marketing tool rather than an information source. I can't remember one time that the scoreboard excited the crowd. And it's a slippery slope, wait until they propose the light ring. You'll find yourself at an NBA arena.

The Kohl Center is great, but I could do without the video scoreboard and the light ring. More focus on the court and the game.

msdukie
05-15-2008, 03:50 PM
At least we don't have to worry about the "light ring" (a.k.a. ribbon boards) until K retires. He's on record saying that he hates them.

hughgs
05-15-2008, 04:28 PM
There's a video scoreboard in the Kohl Center here in Madison. Based on the experiences here, I think you'll be disappointed with the video scoreboard in Cameron. My experiences suggest:
- you'll find the "live play" distracting.
- you'll never see a controversial play on the video. If it's a play where the call of the officials is questionable, they just won't show it. You'll be surprised how many times you WANT to see the replay, but it's not there. Don't get rid of your tivos.
- most of the "down time", ie timeouts, is used to promote sponsors rather than give you updated statistics.

I guess I'd call it a big marketing tool rather than an information source. I can't remember one time that the scoreboard excited the crowd. And it's a slippery slope, wait until they propose the light ring. You'll find yourself at an NBA arena.

The Kohl Center is great, but I could do without the video scoreboard and the light ring. More focus on the court and the game.

The one advantage to a video scoreboard would be the ability to have statistics for other sports such as volleyball and wrestling.

Devilsfan
05-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Volleyball? What's that? Do our students play sports other than Mens' basketball, football, lacrosse, mens' soccer and mens' and womans' golf?

BlueintheFace
05-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Volleyball? What's that? Do our students play sports other than Mens' basketball, football, lacrosse, mens' soccer and mens' and womans' golf?

football?

msdukie
05-15-2008, 10:35 PM
The one advantage to a video scoreboard would be the ability to have statistics for other sports such as volleyball and wrestling.

Which of course brings up the never-answered question of why aren't the Volleyball ACC Championship banners hanging in the rafters?????

(I recall 5 years ago seing temporary Volleyball NCAA appearance banners hanging over the back of the bleachers during volleyball matches. Don't know if they still do that).

kramerbr
05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Anyone know which company Duke is buying the scoreboard from?

hughgs
05-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Which of course brings up the never-answered question of why aren't the Volleyball ACC Championship banners hanging in the rafters?????

(I recall 5 years ago seing temporary Volleyball NCAA appearance banners hanging over the back of the bleachers during volleyball matches. Don't know if they still do that).

The volleyball banners are hung from the brass rail before the matches, then removed after the matches. I'm still holding out hope that Duke will build a volleyball specific gym :).