PDA

View Full Version : Battier

Kfanarmy
05-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Didn't know Shane Battier was playing injured for Houston...hope there are no long-term effects of the surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3389880

nicktonyg22
05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
to add insult to injury (literally) he also got snubbed from NBA all-defensive team. he did make the second team however.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3392347

Classof06
05-12-2008, 06:04 PM
to add insult to injury (literally) he also got snubbed from NBA all-defensive team. he did make the second team however.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3392347

2nd team? Not good enough. Battier got the shaft, no way around it.

juise
05-12-2008, 06:22 PM
He essentially tied for 2nd (with Camby; Garnett won) in the DPOY vote and he isn't considered the top wing defender in the league? Seems illogical.

BobbyFan
05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
He essentially tied for 2nd (with Camby; Garnett won) in the DPOY vote and he isn't considered the top wing defender in the league? Seems illogical.

Coaches vote for the Defensive All-NBA team, while members of the media vote for DPOY.

Battier got shafted because of the rules state that 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center have to be selected but don't distinguish between a PG and SG, and SF and PF. So while Battier was the best defensive SF in the league, Garnett and Duncan were given the forward slots.

It's also unfortunate because Battier also frequently guarded shooting guards. Bruce Bowen somehow got entered as a guard/forward, allowing him to be selected into a 1st team guard slot.

SilkyJ
05-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Coaches vote for the Defensive All-NBA team, while members of the media vote for DPOY.

Battier got shafted because of the rules state that 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center have to be selected but don't distinguish between a PG and SG, and SF and PF. So while Battier was the best defensive SF in the league, Garnett and Duncan were given the forward slots.

It's also unfortunate because Battier also frequently guarded shooting guards. Bruce Bowen somehow got entered as a guard/forward, allowing him to be selected into a 1st team guard slot.

ERRONEOUS! ERRONEOUS ON BOTH COUNTS!

ice-9
05-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm a little surprised to see that Chris Paul made the second team as well!

adam
05-14-2008, 01:26 PM
If you are 3rd in the Defensive POY voting, how do you not make it onto the NBA All-Defensive Team? It seems like a messed up system to me.

juise
05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
If you are 3rd in the Defensive POY voting, how do you not make it onto the NBA All-Defensive Team? It seems like a messed up system to me.

I asked the same question and BobbyFan explained it pretty clearly above.

JasonEvans
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Everyone obsesses over blocked shots and steals when it comes to defense. Make, no mistake, those two statistically tracked abilities are important. Sadly, there is no easily tracked statitistcal way to measure the guy who just stays in frotn of his man and makes it hard for the offensive guy to succeed at whatever it is he is trying to do (score or pass). This is what Shane does so well and it does not get recognized enough.

FWIW, I think Bruce Bowen is somewhat running on fumes at this point and is not the defender he once was. Shane should get the wing-defender nod over him, IMO.

--Jason "Shane is far and away the most valuable player who scores less than 10 ppg, right?" Evans

sagegrouse
05-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm a little surprised to see that Chris Paul made the second team as well!

They give extra points for low blows.

sagegrouse