PDA

View Full Version : Great piece on John Danowski in Newsday

gotham devil
05-11-2008, 02:51 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-skmarcus0510,0,1495870.column

Bluedawg
05-12-2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-skmarcus0510,0,1495870.column

It all started during the 2007 season, when the wounds were still fresh for Danowksi and Duke. Danowski was basically out of a coaching job at Hofstra, and Duke, trying to figure out which way to go after the scandal that wasn't, decided that Danowski was the one man who could bring Duke lacrosse back.

I thought Duke hired him away from Hofstra. Anyone know why he was "basically out of a coaching job at Hofstra"?

Danowski's team, which is led by his son, came close last year before losing in the title game to Johns Hopkins.

Not only was it one game short, it was two shots short, two shots that bounced off of the rim of the net. A matter of less then an inch away from a NC

Thurber Whyte
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
I thought Duke hired him away from Hofstra. Anyone know why he was "basically out of a coaching job at Hofstra"?

I remember the specific issue being mentioned in passing in an article around the time of his hiring. I cannot remember the exact details and I cannot find the article, but it had something to do with the program at Hofstra reaching a crossroads and the Athletic Department wanting to go in a different direction. The gist of the problem seemed to be, if you can believe it, that John Danowski had built the program to a level that was beyond what the school felt it could support. Hofstra was ranked 2nd in the final poll that year. Hofstra, however, continues to be successful and was in the tournament this year.

Do not worry. Whatever it was, it did not reflect badly on Danowski. Indeed, perhaps the opposite.

Duke was very lucky that Danowksi was available and had a Duke connection.

formerdukeathlete
05-13-2008, 09:56 PM
I remember the specific issue being mentioned in passing in an article around the time of his hiring. I cannot remember the exact details and I cannot find the article, but it had something to do with the program at Hofstra reaching a crossroads and the Athletic Department wanting to go in a different direction. The gist of the problem seemed to be, if you can believe it, that John Danowski had built the program to a level that was beyond what the school felt it could support. Hofstra was ranked 2nd in the final poll that year. Hofstra, however, continues to be successful and was in the tournament this year.

Do not worry. Whatever it was, it did not reflect badly on Danowski. Indeed, perhaps the opposite.

Duke was very lucky that Danowksi was available and had a Duke connection.

Danowski is an independent thinker, but terrific person and coach - and, not a yes man. For example, he refused to enforce the alcohol policy imposed upon the Duke team at its reinstatement. He counseled kids under 21, and discouraged excess (really much at all during season) alcohol consumption by the 21 + crowd, but he did what he believed was the right thing to do at the time and which was fair to the kids and the school. The team benefited, and Duke benefited by his wisdom, judgment. Cut is kind of the same type of person. Ole Miss's AD went after Cut, and Hofstra's AD may have been riding Danowski. (insecurity). However, what was circulated, that Danowski was on the outs, sounds like untruthful sour grapes....have heard this thing before in the context of people making job changes. Danowski would had to have been doing something entirely unethical to have been fired after that last season at Hofstra, and we all know that this was not the case.

Verga3
05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
John Danowski: One of the best coaches Duke has EVER had.....in any sport.