PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Memorable Moment by a role-player

davekay1971
05-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Don't know why this popped into my head, but a discussion of the 91-92 teams made me remember Brian Davis's baseline drive-jam over UNLV which resulted in him dancing down the court. Total classic moment - great momentum play in the 91 semifinal game. I know Brian was a big part of that team, a starter, but compared to Laettner, Hill, and Hurley, he was more of a role player than a star. I got to thinking - was that the best Duke hoops moment provided by a role player? It's certainly up there...along with a moment (I think in 1995) when Coach K put in the benchwarmers against the Tarholes (because the starters weren't doing anything) and the kid guarding McInnis frustrated him into a technical foul. Help me out on that kid's name.

Any thoughts on the best moment by someone other than one of the Duke stars? (yes, this is the off-season)

Indoor66
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Don't know why this popped into my head, but a discussion of the 91-92 teams made me remember Brian Davis's baseline drive-jam over UNLV which resulted in him dancing down the court. Total classic moment - great momentum play in the 91 semifinal game. I know Brian was a big part of that team, a starter, but compared to Laettner, Hill, and Hurley, he was more of a role player than a star. I got to thinking - was that the best Duke hoops moment provided by a role player? It's certainly up there...along with a moment (I think in 1995) when Coach K put in the benchwarmers against the Tarholes (because the starters weren't doing anything) and the kid guarding McInnis frustrated him into a technical foul. Help me out on that kid's name.

Any thoughts on the best moment by someone other than one of the Duke stars? (yes, this is the off-season)

F R E D D Y L I N D

davekay1971
05-11-2008, 10:38 AM
F R E D D Y L I N D

Didn't see the moment with my own two eyes, but I've heard great things...

Channing
05-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Dockery.

moonpie23
05-11-2008, 10:41 AM
dock's half court shot

rsvman
05-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I can think of a couple of good ones. First was Horvath's top of the key shot to win the game against DePaul. Second was when Buckner bullied up Coach D'oh at the Dean Dome. :)

jjasper0729
05-11-2008, 11:04 AM
did that top of the key shot win it or send it to overtime? Been so long all my games are running together. I was thinking about that one too.

wilson
05-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Horvath's shot was a game-winner (but he didn't call glass;)). And thanks for the Brian Davis shout-out. He remains my favorite Duke player ever.

devildeac
05-11-2008, 11:29 AM
1. Jay Heaps
2. Patrick Davidson (yea, I know he's a legend, but still...)
3. Nate James (gotta read Al's article linked on the main page to GoDuke.com)
a. tip-in against the twerps
b. his HUGE D on dixon in the '01 NCAA semi-final in the 2nd half

vango
05-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Greg Koubek against UNLV is mine..... 15 big points and a quiet leader

jimsumner
05-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Umm, Koubek scored five points against Vegas in '91, two in '90.

Off the top of my head, led me add Robby West's buzzer-beater to defeat UNC on the day that Duke Indoor Stadium was renamed Cameron Indoor Stadium and Terry Chilli's free throws to beat the Terps in '76.

But my number one came in the 1992 FF against Indiana. Brian Davis was out with a knee injury and Grant fouled out. Sophomore Marty Clark had played about eight minutes per game, mostly in mop-up situations and had averaged less then three points per game. But Clark came in cold and made five of six foul shots in the dying seconds to hold off a furious IU-comeback attempt.

jimsumner
05-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Speaking of Nate, he was third-team All-ACC in 2001, so IMO he would not qualify as a role player, certainly not in the sense of '68 Lind, '72 West, '76 Chili, or '92 Clark.

jimsumner
05-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Correction. Koubek scored five points against Kansas, two against Vegas in both 1990 and 1991.

Ben63
05-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I know it shouldn't have counted, but McClure's game winning lay up against Clemson.

The best by far is Dockery's shot. Just look at my avatar.

Tappan Zee Devil
05-11-2008, 02:21 PM
The best by far is Dockery's shot. Just look at my avatar.

You clearly are a young'un. I was privileged to have been at the Freddy Lind game - about 4 rows up behind the carolina bench. There has never been anything like it because Freddy's moment went on and on and on through multiple overtimes. He just kept carrying the team. And it was so unexpected.

Jim

Tom B.
05-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I got to thinking - was that the best Duke hoops moment provided by a role player? It's certainly up there...along with a moment (I think in 1995) when Coach K put in the benchwarmers against the Tarholes (because the starters weren't doing anything) and the kid guarding McInnis frustrated him into a technical foul. Help me out on that kid's name.

That was Jay Heaps (and it was 1996, not 1995).

Another nominee from 1996 -- Ricky Price hitting a buzzer-beating, game-winning three-pointer at Maryland. That actually turned out to be Duke's last win of the season. It was the next-to-last regular season game -- we lost the season finale to Carolina in Cameron a few days later (that was the game in which the aforementioned punkage of Jeff McInnis by Jay Heaps occurred), then we lost the ACC Tournament opener to Maryland and lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Eastern Michigan. By that time, the team was so banged up that Stan Brunson was getting significant minutes.

One more nominee -- Billy King's defense against Mark Macon in the 1988 East Regional final. He hounded the leading scorer for the #1 team in the country into a 6-for-29 shooting performance, with six (I think) airballs.

jimsumner
05-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Again, does Ricky Price in 1996 qualify as a role player? He averaged over 14 ppg that year and made third-team All-ACC. I don't think he meets the standard of an out-of-nowhere great performance.

BlueintheFace
05-11-2008, 02:48 PM
This may not be a winner, but in honor of the class of 2008 Graduation today-- Demarcus Nelson's first Carolina Home Game

houstondukie
05-11-2008, 02:52 PM
we didn't win, but shavlik randolph's game against UCONN in the final four had us all thinking he was ready to break out the next season.

Verga3
05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Greatest memorable moment by a role-player happened to be in the greatest memorable game........FRED LIND!!!

ricks68
05-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Just take a look at page 190 of the '68 Chanticleer and you'll understand. Note that in order for a picture of that event to occur, the people had to wait a very long time for Freddy to come out. What a great picture--taken over 40 years ago. Boy, am I old!:eek:

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Just take a look at page 190 of the '68 Chanticleer and you'll understand. Note that in order for a picture of that event to occur, the people had to wait a very long time for Freddy to come out. What a great picture--taken over 40 years ago. Boy, am I old!:eek:

ricks

Saw Fred Thursday evening at Coach Cutcliffe's appearance in Greensboro. After pointing out that he and Phil Asack are good friends, Fred asked Coach to talk about the quarterback and kicker situation for next year.

Ben63
05-11-2008, 03:57 PM
You clearly are a young'un. I was privileged to have been at the Freddy Lind game - about 4 rows up behind the carolina bench. There has never been anything like it because Freddy's moment went on and on and on through multiple overtimes. He just kept carrying the team. And it was so unexpected.

Jim

Yes, I am a young'un. That game took place 23 years before I was born. I've been a Duke fan my whole life but don't remember much before the 2001 season. Keep in mind I was ten years old. So I guess for me the greatest was Dockery because that is the one I remember. I have that video on my iPod and watch it all the time. Every time I see it I get chills down my spine and my math teacher/bowling coach graduated from VaTech and I remind him all the time too.

Festus13
05-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Greatest memorable moment by a role-player happened to be in the greatest memorable game........FRED LIND!!!

I would certainly concur with Fred Lind's career game as being the greatest moment for a role-player at Duke. I saw the game on television and if memory serves me, the big Montana Mountaing (Mike Lewis) has fouled out and Lind ended up playing many minutes as the game went 3 OT's I believe.

roywhite
05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
In the Coach K era, there was Marty Clark knocking down some huge free throws in the final minutes of the 1992 semi-final game vs Indiana.

davekay1971
05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
That was Jay Heaps (and it was 1996, not 1995).

One more nominee -- Billy King's defense against Mark Macon in the 1988 East Regional final. He hounded the leading scorer for the #1 team in the country into a 6-for-29 shooting performance, with six (I think) airballs.

Thank you for helping me through my senior moment. Jay it was punking McInnis. Good times, despite the eventual loss...

Billy's shutdown of Macon was sweet. Makes you wonder if the Philadelphians remembered him fondly when he showed up for the Sixers GM job...

CameronBlue
05-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted but I just found it--Tink has a blog!

http://moneyinthebanks.blogspot.com/

jimsumner
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM
The Fred Lind game referenced several times on this thread can be examined here.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022108aac.html

vango
05-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Greg Koubek against UNLV is mine..... 15 big points and a quiet leader

Man, sorry - Brian Davis with 15 points. As I was typing that I was thinking about Koubek and how he was just stready in the game....typed what I was thinking I guess. Koubek was big but in a bad loss to UNC in the ACC Championship....

OZZIE4DUKE
05-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Saw Fred Thursday evening at Coach Cutcliffe's appearance in Greensboro. After pointing out that he and Phil Asack are good friends, Fred asked Coach to talk about the quarterback and kicker situation for next year.

What did Cut have to say? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jfrosh
05-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Marty Clark calmly stepping up and hitting free throws in the 92 semi final against Indiana. Not spectacular, but solid.

EarlJam
05-12-2008, 10:06 AM
In the Coach K era, there was Marty Clark knocking down some huge free throws in the final minutes of the 1992 semi-final game vs Indiana.

Excellent choice! Those free throws were huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

-EJ

hurleyfor3
05-12-2008, 10:19 AM
thomas hill providing emotional support against kentucky

EarlJam
05-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Danny Ferry scoring a crucial lay-up late in the game during his freshman year in the national semi-final. Duke would go on to lose to Pervis Ellison and those bastards from Louisville.

Sorry, I'm still a bit peeved.

-EarlJam

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
What did Cut have to say? Inquiring minds want to know!
Coach Cutcliffe answered the question generally saying that we have an abundance of quarterbacks and that the kicking game is essential to success. He said that he's getting to know our current QBs so he can plan around their strengths. He also talked about working during spring practice to improve the quality of kicking and the quickness of getting the kick off (less than 1.25 seconds I think he said).

Generally speaking Coach Cutcliffe sounded even better than the first couple of time I heard him speak. He's a great story teller in the best Southern tradition and uses this skill to get his points across. He showed a new video made near the end of spring practice. Watching it I could sense something was different in what was on the screen.... quicker, crisper, stronger. Made me think of the way the Duke teams looked in the early sixties. Later he commented about the video and asked if the audience noticed the players' eyes..... more intense. He said the players are developing "the look" as he called it.

This gathering was much like a reunion. There were members of the 1958 Orange Bowl team present as well as several basketball players from the past. I recognized football and basketball players from multiple generations. (The Albright family was the best example.... Doug (father) played basketball in the early sixties, son Stuart played football in the eighties.)

Coach didn't ask about who had tickets as he did in Charlotte. He did offer that anyone who bought 8 tickets that night could go with the team down the tunnel and be on the sidelines for a game. The guy next to me won the grand prize which was a night at the Washington Duke, a round of golf and a press pass for the sidelines of the James Madison game.

One other point.... someone asked how Coach was going to get the students involved. He said that he knew about the tailgate parties and if necessary he would go out there and bring them into the stadium.

A new tradition has begun. It's called the Blue Devil Walk and will take place prior to each home game. Just as before the spring scrimmage, the team will assemble in the Chapel 2 hours and 20 minutes before game time. Coach has asked the team members to sit down and take a few minutes to get their minds ready for the game, thinking about those in their lives who have made a difference. After this meditation and preparation, the team will form up and walk across campus to the stadium complex to prepare for the game. This should be a positive addition to Blue Devil lore.

By the time the evening ended forty some tickets had been sold.

Uncle Drew
05-13-2008, 02:24 PM
One moment that pops into my head is back in 1986 in the NCAA Tournament against David Robinson and Navy. Now Dawkins had the most spectacular Duke I have EVER seen ANYONE do in a game that day. But another memorable moment was Coach K putting Marty Nessley in at one point against Robinson. Not only did Marty hold his own for longer than anyone expected he even blocked the Admirals shot once or twice. It was clear that having to play against another 7+ footer threw David Robinson off for a few trips down the court, and gave Alarie and / or Bilas a breather.

chrishoke
05-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I too was at the Fred Lind game with my Dad - Section 2 Row G. I was 14 at the time. If memory serves, I believe Fred scored more that game than he did in all the other games that year put together. And those big, thick glasses he wore. Wow!:)

buzz
05-13-2008, 05:56 PM
One moment that pops into my head is back in 1986 in the NCAA Tournament against David Robinson and Navy. Now Dawkins had the most spectacular Duke I have EVER seen ANYONE do in a game that day. But another memorable moment was Coach K putting Marty Nessley in at one point against Robinson. Not only did Marty hold his own for longer than anyone expected he even blocked the Admirals shot once or twice. It was clear that having to play against another 7+ footer threw David Robinson off for a few trips down the court, and gave Alarie and / or Bilas a breather.

I would just like to add that Marty doesn't foul.

dukemsu
05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
2 from the 91 run:

Crawford Palmer drawing a big charge in the National Semifinal.

In the same game, Brian Davis (though I dispute his status as a role player due to the nature of his role being so pivotal on that team) harassing Stacey Augmon into a shot clock violation, then burning Plastic Man for a huge 3-point play a couple of possessions later.

dukemsu

devildeac
05-13-2008, 11:27 PM

Which Marty?;)

davekay1971
05-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Awesome. Good memories with that chant...

buzz
05-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Awesome. Good memories with that chant...

...and one of the early inductees to the 'all airport' team.

IStillHateJimBain
05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Key jumpers by Billy McCaffery in the 1992 final.
Kenny Dennard's behind-the-head dunk in the 1978 regional.
Casey Sanders vs. UNC when Boozer was out in the regular-season finale in 2001.

IStillHateJimBain
05-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Typo.............I meant McCaffery in 1991

gvtucker
05-14-2008, 11:09 AM
One that hasn't been mentioned yet, Tom Emma hit two free throws with 1 second on the clock to beat a very good Maryland team led by Albert King in 1981.

Tom B.
05-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Casey Sanders vs. UNC when Boozer was out in the regular-season finale in 2001.

For that matter, how about the collective performance of the Casey Sanders/Matt Christiansen/Reggie Love triumvirate filling in for Boozer in the game at Chapel Hill, as well as the ACC Tournament (which Boozer missed completely) and the early and middle rounds of the NCAA Tournament while Boozer worked his way back into the lineup.

Tom B.
05-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Also form 1992.... after Bobby Hurley broke his foot, Grant Hill took over at point. Grant then sprained an ankle shortly before Hurley was scheduled to return, so little-used reserve Kenny Blakeney had to start one game at point guard (it was a home game against Virginia, which had Bryant Stith as a senior and some talented freshmen in Junior Burrough and Cory Alexander). Hurley actually returned to the lineup in that game, but he didn't start and played fewer minutes than normal because he was still getting back into game shape. Blakeney's numbers weren't exactly Fred Lind material -- 15 minutes, six points, two assists, two steals -- but his contribution was critical in helping the team cope with injuries that affected two key players at the same time.

Incidentally, that Virginia game featured one of the classiest moves ever by Coach K. Right after the game ended, while the band was playing "Devil With a Blue Dress," Coach K walked over to the scorer's table, picked up the microphone and asked the band to stop playing. Then he announced that during the game, Bryant Stith had broken UVa's career scoring record (previously held by Ralph Sampson), and he presented Stith with the game ball. The Duke crowd, most of whom probably didn't even know about the record, gave Stith a standing ovation.

One more great role player moment from 1992 -- a week after that game against Virginia, Duke traveled to last-place Clemson and almost suffered a huge upset. Clemson came out on fire and led by five at halftime, then went on a run early in the second half and pushed the lead to 17. Coach K pulled the five starters and inserted Blakeney, Marty Clark, Christian Ast, Erik Meek and Cherokee Parks. Clemson scored to make it a 19-point game, then the Duke reserves went on a mini-run over the next few minutes and cut the lead to 12. Coach K then re-inserted the starters, who eventually erased the entire lead, and Duke escaped with a 98-97 win. If not for the inspired play by the reserves, though, that comeback likely doesn't happen.

davekay1971
05-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Incidentally, that Virginia game featured one of the classiest moves ever by Coach K. Right after the game ended, while the band was playing "Devil With a Blue Dress," Coach K walked over to the scorer's table, picked up the microphone and asked the band to stop playing. Then he announced that during the game, Bryant Stith had broken UVa's career scoring record (previously held by Ralph Sampson), and he presented Stith with the game ball. The Duke crowd, most of whom probably didn't even know about the record, gave Stith a standing ovation.

Thanks for reminding us of that. It's one of the many, many moments that show what a truly class person Coach K is. It always makes me irritated when Coach K haters (a group extending well beyond Tarhole fans) deride the man's character, particularly when you think of all the good he's done...in big and small ways.

RockyMtDevil
05-15-2008, 01:05 PM
As said earlier, Marty earned his four year degree at Duke by making 5-6 free throws in the final four game against IU in '92...

Clutch, clutch shots when IU simply wouldn't die....

DukeDevilDeb
05-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Umm, Koubek scored five points against Vegas in '91, two in '90.

Off the top of my head, led me add Robby West's buzzer-beater to defeat UNC on the day that Duke Indoor Stadium was renamed Cameron Indoor Stadium and Terry Chilli's free throws to beat the Terps in '76.

But my number one came in the 1992 FF against Indiana. Brian Davis was out with a knee injury and Grant fouled out. Sophomore Marty Clark had played about eight minutes per game, mostly in mop-up situations and had averaged less then three points per game. But Clark came in cold and made five of six foul shots in the dying seconds to hold off a furious IU-comeback attempt.

Without Marty's free throws at the end of the game and without Hurley's HUGE 3s, we go home after losting to IU, and Florida is the only back-to-back champion since UCLA.

Great memory. I remember seeing Marty's mom on TV... so tense as he took his shooting position and exhilarated when he made them. Coach K LOVED that kid.

Marty had another great shot... don't remember the game, but it was at Cameron from the sidelines.... Anyone know what I mean?

DukeDevilDeb
05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Also form 1992.... after Bobby Hurley broke his foot, Grant Hill took over at point. Grant then sprained an ankle shortly before Hurley was scheduled to return, so little-used reserve Kenny Blakeney had to start one game at point guard (it was a home game against Virginia, which had Bryant Stith as a senior and some talented freshmen in Junior Burrough and Cory Alexander). Hurley actually returned to the lineup in that game, but he didn't start and played fewer minutes than normal because he was still getting back into game shape. Blakeney's numbers weren't exactly Fred Lind material -- 15 minutes, six points, two assists, two steals -- but his contribution was critical in helping the team cope with injuries that affected two key players at the same time.

One more great role player moment from 1992 -- a week after that game against Virginia, Duke traveled to last-place Clemson and almost suffered a huge upset. Clemson came out on fire and led by five at halftime, then went on a run early in the second half and pushed the lead to 17. Coach K pulled the five starters and inserted Blakeney, Marty Clark, Christian Ast, Erik Meek and Cherokee Parks. Clemson scored to make it a 19-point game, then the Duke reserves went on a mini-run over the next few minutes and cut the lead to 12. Coach K then re-inserted the starters, who eventually erased the entire lead, and Duke escaped with a 98-97 win. If not for the inspired play by the reserves, though, that comeback likely doesn't happen.

I will never forget being in Cameron when Coach K gave Stith the game ball... what an amazing, amazing behavior... I loved the fact that he could and did recognize greatness in others and reward it publically. I think Stith was so shocked he almost didn't know what to do!

ArkieDukie
05-15-2008, 08:40 PM

I had forgotten about Blakeney starting the game, but I still remember the game ball presentation to Stith. What a great moment.

I still remember the Clemson game as well. I listened to it during a seminar I was required to attend. :o (I should note that the people around me were asking for updates! :cool:)