PDA

View Full Version : Men's lax

godukerocks
05-10-2008, 02:29 PM
2:30 est, ESPNU.

Game's at Koskinen. 3 more points for Danowski and he'll set the record.

On a side note, Colin Finnerty is playing for Loyola.

adam
05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Danowski just broke the record... 344 career points! :)

devildeac
05-10-2008, 04:36 PM
1st round at Koskinen at 230 PM. Any one attend? Any score? None yet on goduke.com. Let's go guys!

burnspbesq
05-10-2008, 04:53 PM
1st round at Koskinen at 230 PM. Any one attend? Any score? None yet on goduke.com. Let's go guys!

Duke won, 12-7, and two of Loyola's goals were scored in the last three minutes when the game was out of reach.

Matt Danowski had two goals and five assists, and became the all-time leading career scorer in the history of college lacrosse.

Collin Finnerty had three goals for Loyola, which was kinda nice to see.

YmoBeThere
05-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Good news...who is up next?

burnspbesq
05-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Good news...who is up next?

Right now it looks like Duke will be playing Ohio State next week. The Buckeyes are all over Cornell, up 10-2 with five minutes to go in the first half. Their goalie has even scored.

burnspbesq
05-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Right now it looks like Duke will be playing Ohio State next week. The Buckeyes are all over Cornell, up 10-2 with five minutes to go in the first half. Their goalie has even scored.

Final score: Ohio State 15, Cornell 7. The Big Red didn't play much defense, but Ohio State was very impressive nonetheless. We'd better not take them for granted.

One more game left on Day One: Navy at Carolina. Both teams were on downslides at the end of the regular season. Faceoffs will be key; if Walterhoefer wins 60 percent or more, I expect the Heels to win easily.

jjasper0729
05-10-2008, 08:13 PM
i got a little concerned at the duke/loyola game when they were kind of stagnant in the first quarter. i had watched a few of their games on espnu this year and they were so good at scoring, but then went dead it seemed against virginia in the acc championship... glad they came out of the funk and had a good burst this afternoon

burnspbesq
05-10-2008, 09:42 PM
It got hairy at the end, but the Mids held on to beat Carolina, 8-7.

devildeac
05-10-2008, 10:59 PM
It got hairy at the end, but the Mids held on to beat Carolina, 8-7.

Go Navy! But not if have to meet them.

Inonehand
05-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Read the front page article link to the NYT about the fifth year guys on the Duke team this year. ANother article quoting UVa mlax coach Dom Starsia talking about the advantage Duke has this year because of the extra year. Honestly, I didn't think the NCAA should have allowed it. Duke is the reason why the season was cut short and the NCAA allowed the guilty party to petition for the extra year successfully. BUT, I am glad for the kids' sakes. Back to Starsia...UVA WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP THAT YEAR! Nobody benefitted more than Starsia from Duke's response to that situation in keeping a superior team from spanking UVA at least twice in 2006.

Acymetric
05-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Read the front page article link to the NYT about the fifth year guys on the Duke team this year. ANother article quoting UVa mlax coach Dom Starsia talking about the advantage Duke has this year because of the extra year. Honestly, I didn't think the NCAA should have allowed it. Duke is the reason why the season was cut short and the NCAA allowed the guilty party to petition for the extra year successfully. BUT, I am glad for the kids' sakes. Back to Starsia...UVA WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP THAT YEAR! Nobody benefitted more than Starsia from Duke's response to that situation in keeping a superior team from spanking UVA at least twice in 2006.

Exactly the point. The kids basically got cheated out of a year of playing, and the NCAA rightfully gave them the opportunity to play that year out now. This "5th year" is really their 4th, with the year of the scandal being canceled, why would it count? This is only their 4th year to play a season, and even though I'm surprised that the NCAA allowed it, its definitely the way it should have been.

Thurber Whyte
05-11-2008, 02:15 AM

Not only that, but this year Virginia has in its starting lineup Ken Clausen, a one of Duke’s recruit who was permitted to withdraw from his letter of intent after the administration cancelled the season, and Peter Lamade, a former Duke player who graduated last year and is using his final year of eligibility at Virginia.

K24U
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
It's always a great day when UNC loses at any sport.

Congrats to Danowski for becoming the all-time NCAA leading scorer.

The sky is always bluer in Durham.

burnspbesq
05-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Day Two is underway, with Colgate leading Notre Dame 4-2 midway through the second quarter. After that, it's Hofstra-Johns Hopkins, UVa- Maryland Baltimore County, and Syracuse-Canisius.

YmoBeThere
05-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I know we shouldn't overlook OSU, what are they good at that might give us trouble?

gotham devil
05-11-2008, 02:16 PM
I know we shouldn't overlook OSU, what are they good at that might give us trouble?

Danowski and Greer are 1 and 2 in scoring...well they have the #3 (Delgarno) and 4 (Buchanan) guys in the country

burnspbesq
05-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Danowski and Greer are 1 and 2 in scoring...well they have the #3 (Delgarno) and 4 (Buchanan) guys in the country

OSU is a near-mirror-image of Duke: they love to play up-tempo and are aggressive at the defensive end. Keys for Duke: more accurate shooting than against Loyola yesterday (missed a bunch of sitters), forcing turnovers and capitalizing on unsettled situations, and faceoffs. Would also be nice if Dan Loftus could duplicate his performance against UVa in the ACC final.

This will almost certainly be a shoot-out. A final score like 21-18 is not out of the question.

burnspbesq
05-11-2008, 02:43 PM
8-7 in overtime.

Hofstra and Hopkins just getting started.

JasonEvans
05-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Their goalie ran the length of the field to score yesterday. I only note this because the highlight made the sports report on CNN Headline News... probably the first time anything but a national title game has resulted in a lax highlight on HLN.

--Jason "our spring sports are really gonna help our (formerly) Sears Cup standings!" Evans

Lauderdevil
05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
probably the first time anything but a national title game has resulted in a lax highlight on HLN.

. . . Aside from the obvious.

TillyGalore
05-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Just a friendly reminder that the men's lax team plays tomorrow at noon versus OSU. The game will be televised on ESPNU. Apologies to those who don't have ESPNU, please don't shoot the messenger.

DukieInKansas
05-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Just a friendly reminder that the men's lax team plays tomorrow at noon versus OSU. The game will be televised on ESPNU. Apologies to those who don't have ESPNU, please don't shoot the messenger.

Day correction: The men play Sunday at noon.

The women play against Maryland on Saturday at 1pm eastern. I don't think it is on TV.

TillyGalore
05-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Day correction: The men play Sunday at noon.

The women play against Maryland on Saturday at 1pm eastern. I don't think it is on TV.

Thanks for setting us (me) straight! :)

DukieInKansas
05-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks for setting us (me) straight! :)

I wish it were Saturday. With the game starting at 11am my time and chairing a meeting at 11:45, I'm going to miss most of the game and have no way to record it as I'm still in the VHS dark ages.

Clipsfan
05-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I wish it were Saturday. With the game starting at 11am my time and chairing a meeting at 11:45, I'm going to miss most of the game and have no way to record it as I'm still in the VHS dark ages.

Isn't one of the initial strengths of the VCR the ability to record?

rockymtn devil
05-16-2008, 07:48 PM
FWIW, my take on Sunday's game from someone who has followed both of these teams to a certain extent this season.

Ohio State is a very good offensive team, but they can be shut down by a hot goalie and solid defense (see: conference championship game when they lost 9-2 to Notre Dame). Cornell's goaltending was atrocious last weekend and, to their credit, Ohio State took advantage of that.

The problem for the Buckeyes is that Duke is the most complete team in the country. We can slow down and play a possession game and win 9-6 on the strength of smart offense and top-notch defense. But, if need be, the Devils can run and gun with anyone in the country.

If I were OSU, I'd want to slow the game down even if it meant playing against type. The Buckeye defense is not all that strong, and they want to limit Duke's possessions. The problem with this is that Ohio State is not good on the faceoff (something Duke is very strong at), and so they have to run in order to make up for this deficiency.

At the end of the day, if you give Duke a lot of possessions, they'll kill you. To beat Duke you need to win faceoffs and play good defense--OSU doesn't do either particularly well. IMHO, as long as Duke shows up and plays well, they win by a fair amount. I'll say 17-12 Devils.

DukieInKansas
05-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Isn't one of the initial strengths of the VCR the ability to record?

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to get it to tape channel 203 but I'm working on it. (The VCR only goes to channel 99.) :(

Indoor66
05-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to get it to tape channel 203 but I'm working on it. (The VCR only goes to channel 99.) :(

Wire to record from the TV and record on Channel 2 or 3!

DukieInKansas
05-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Wire to record from the TV and record on Channel 2 or 3!

TV only goes to 125 and the HDTV Cable convert box doesn't have a cable out for coaxial connection to vcr. Red,white, & yellow connections don't work either. This will teach me not to upgrade my equipment.

hughgs
05-18-2008, 05:23 AM
TV only goes to 125 and the HDTV Cable convert box doesn't have a cable out for coaxial connection to vcr. Red,white, & yellow connections don't work either. This will teach me not to upgrade my equipment.

But channel 2 and channel 3 are less than 125. Look at your owner's manual and there should be an example of how to record whatever the TV is showing.

TillyGalore
05-18-2008, 12:08 PM
What's up with OSU? Just heard they had a bit of a pre-game thrown down with Duke.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

Mike Corey
05-18-2008, 12:38 PM
What's up with OSU? Just heard they had a bit of a pre-game thrown down with Duke.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

A very stupid decision by the Buckeyes. Just a little too excited for the big time, and incapable of handling itself accordingly.

Duke is running away with it, 9-1 after the first quarter.

TillyGalore
05-18-2008, 12:45 PM
A very stupid decision by the Buckeyes. Just a little too excited for the big time, and incapable of handling itself accordingly.

Duke is running away with it, 9-1 after the first quarter.

I'm watching and am loving that Duke is beating the heck out of OSU. Serves OSU right for trying to stir things up.

Really, I'm not a vengeful person. Okay, maybe a little.

Oriole Way
05-18-2008, 12:56 PM
I know we shouldn't look past OSU, but Duke is up 12-3 so I'm feeling good about advancing.

Anyway, is anyone else really worried about facing Hopkins? They underachieved all year and of course they're playing well now. If any team can beat Duke, it's Hopkins. Especially considering we haven't been able to beat them in the postseason over the past few years.

Would like to hear some words of encouragement... I saw Duke lose the championship last year in person and would really hate it if they went down to JHU again.

adam
05-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Duke is up at the half, 12-3. :)

terrih
05-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Does Duke get an allotment of tickets for the final four like they do with B-Ball? Or do I need to buy tickets online through the general site?

Thanks,
-Terri

godukerocks
05-18-2008, 01:07 PM
I know we shouldn't look past OSU, but Duke is up 12-3 so I'm feeling good about advancing.

Anyway, is anyone else really worried about facing Hopkins? They underachieved all year and of course they're playing well now. If any team can beat Duke, it's Hopkins. Especially considering we haven't been able to beat them in the postseason over the past few years.

Would like to hear some words of encouragement... I saw Duke lose the championship last year in person and would really hate it if they went down to JHU again.

Duke beat Hopkins convincingly earlier this year. I have to say, I'm glad we'll be playing them. Nothing better than beating the team that beat you in the championship twice.

burnspbesq
05-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Thirty minutes is a long time, and the weauxf gods might not take kindly to a sudden spike in traffic on StubHub and Travelocity before the game ends.

Tchoupitoulas
05-18-2008, 01:29 PM
For those of us without ESPNU, Can anyone link some video to the pre-game incident on YouTube or somewhere else?

Tchoup.

roywhite
05-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Score is Duke by 21-8 about midway through the 4th.

Edit: 21-10 Duke Final. Congrats, guys.

Eckster
05-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Dominating win today for Duke LAX! Now on to the final four and hopefully some payback against Hopkins!

lazee
05-18-2008, 02:25 PM
For those of us without ESPNU, Can anyone link some video to the pre-game incident on YouTube or somewhere else?

Tchoup.

ESPNU didn't show the pregame incident. It was mentioned on air during the 1st quarter by the announcers. Apparently, about an hour before the game while Duke was on the field stretching, OSU came out onto the field and somehow they started to get into the face of the Duke players at midfield (taunting? heckling? who knows?). An official had to come out onto the field to separate the teams. I guess the OSU's players' plan backfired, huh? ;)

Papa John
05-18-2008, 02:37 PM
ESPNU didn't show the pregame incident. It was mentioned on air during the 1st quarter by the announcers. Apparently, about an hour before the game while Duke was on the field stretching, OSU came out onto the field and somehow they started to get into the face of the Duke players at midfield (taunting? heckling? who knows?). An official had to come out onto the field to separate the teams. I guess the OSU's players' plan backfired, huh? ;)

Didn't hear about the incident because I had the volume down low in the hopes that my little one would fall asleep, but surely the strategy blew up in OSU's face... I haven't watched a lot of lacrosse, but holy moly was that a beating... I felt like I was a fly on the back wall of the proverbial woodshed!

Hopkins next, eh? Didn't we beat them earlier this season? Here's hoping we can do so again...

burnspbesq
05-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Didn't hear about the incident because I had the volume down low in the hopes that my little one would fall asleep, but surely the strategy blew up in OSU's face... I haven't watched a lot of lacrosse, but holy moly was that a beating... I felt like I was a fly on the back wall of the proverbial woodshed!

Hopkins next, eh? Didn't we beat them earlier this season? Here's hoping we can do so again...

We handled Hopkins pretty easily at Koskinen when they were in the middle of their five-game losing streak. They are playing much better now. First thoughts about Hopkins:

(1) Kill the head, and the body dies. Translation: take Rabil out of the game, and Hopkins becomes pretty ordinary. The play of Duke's defensive mids is key.

(2) I am pretty underwhelmed by Michael Gvozden, the Hopkins goalkeeper. Put him under pressure early and see if we can get in his head.

(3) The Sam Payton who is number two in the country in percentage of faceoffs won didn't show up today against Ohio State; that guy, and not the impostor who was wearing number 32 today, needs to show up against Hopkins. We cannot be six goals down at the half the way we were in last year's championship game.

(4) I don't think Duke has trailed in the second half of any game this year, except the loss to Georgetown, and that was over two months ago. How will our guys respond in a nail-biter?

blueprofessor
05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
...as the second string played much of the 4th Q,the last 4 OSU goals were scored vs. Duke's backup goalie, and Coach Dano told the players not to shoot the last 6 minutes(there was 1 shot). As usual,our class act prevailed against OSU's oafish,loutish actions!

I would urge everyone to watch the Hop game next Sat for 2 reasons: this Duke team is the fastest,perhaps greatest offensive lax team ever and Hop is the Notre Dame of lax---except they win NCs(ND has won exactly 1 NC in football in 30 years)--as far as their fans attitudes and general hubris.This will be a grudge match to exorcise the hellish memories of 2005 and 2007 NC matches.Unlike 2007,Duke will be rested for the Hop.
Proud of this incredible team,the star power of which is not likely to be duplicated.

Best regards.:)

chrishoke
05-18-2008, 04:54 PM
We handled Hopkins pretty easily at Koskinen when they were in the middle of their five-game losing streak. They are playing much better now.

Actually, Hop has not lost since getting spanked by Duke. They have won both NCAA Tourny games by 10-4 scores. They are by far the most talented team not named Duke.

devilirium
05-18-2008, 06:12 PM
The comment about the faceoffs has me worried. That's what killed Duke last year. Typically, Duke will gang up on the opposing middie if he wins the faceoff thus cancelling the advantage of a "won" faceoff. But, there have been instances--today was no exception--in which the opposing middie charges with the ball right to the heart of the defense. Last year, Hop would win the possession and then play ball control (much like what Loyola did to Duke last weekend) or get a quick score. By alternating the tempo, it threw off Duke.

As the above poster stated, Duke should be well rested and well prepared for this tactic. However, I thought the same last year.

Hop will obviously be motivated by us crushing them earlier in the year. They aren't a great comeback team, though (unlike their team of 4 years ago), so if we get on top by more than a few, then we'll be in great shape.

blueprofessor
05-18-2008, 09:30 PM
The comment about the faceoffs has me worried. That's what killed Duke last year. Typically, Duke will gang up on the opposing middie if he wins the faceoff thus cancelling the advantage of a "won" faceoff. But, there have been instances--today was no exception--in which the opposing middie charges with the ball right to the heart of the defense. Last year, Hop would win the possession and then play ball control (much like what Loyola did to Duke last weekend) or get a quick score. By alternating the tempo, it threw off Duke.

As the above poster stated, Duke should be well rested and well prepared for this tactic. However, I thought the same last year.

Hop will obviously be motivated by us crushing them earlier in the year. They aren't a great comeback team, though (unlike their team of 4 years ago), so if we get on top by more than a few, then we'll be in great shape.

...sent off at the opening FO by the ref in the last 2 games(including the qfinal yesterday).FOs were not called properly last year in the NC.Peyser's tactics are drawing the refs' attention this year.
Moreover, Duke's defense was spectacular today and Loftus had a fine game.It looked like we had 3 extra defenders today.

Of course,Hop is seeing us for the 2nd time and ,like Loyola and UVa, might play us closer.

Hop's coach is a win at almost any cost type and is a fine tactician.He is not as obnoxious as Dom ,though.

I do not look for us to be down by a handful of goals.If we get up by several, it will pressure Hop to abandon its slow-down ,ball control offense.

Frankly, Peyser was not impressive at the x in the qfinal.If we break-even there we will have lots of shots on Gvozden,who,like any goalie not named Glen Hall or Bernie Parent,usually wilts when he sees 40+ shots from gunners and snipers with shots like our guys.

Duke should have won in 2005 and 2007.Hop did not beat itself.Hop will play smart,but we have mature, driven athletes who also are supremely talented. And we have threats to score everywhere on our roster.
While our mids are not as strong,they are still very good.Simply put, we have more talent AND Hop does not have a goalie, as in the recent past, who will go all-world on us.If we put the shots on goal, we will score 35% and win.

I do not want a tight game because that will give the Jays hope and may get in our heads.If we can sustain a decent margin(I think we shall),we will play loose.Nobody in years has been as good when we are focused and loose.

Let's win this for all those who believed in our team's character when the Times,the Post, MSM, a good portion of Durham, and certain Duke admins and profs were condemning the players.

Best regards and pop the Hop!:D

Johnboy
05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Go Duke Lax!!! Beat Hopkins!

devilirium
05-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Kinduva non sequitur in a way, but I just wanted to mention something that was a bit refreshing about the Loyola game. That is the lack of the obnoxious "Oh" chant during the national anthem. I was bracing myself once again to shake my head, and instead was pleasantly surprised that it didn't come about. Also, the Finnerty support was nice to see--though I expected that.

TillyGalore
05-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Men's lax tomorrow 2pm on ESPN2 (I checked this time).

LET'S GO DUKE!

devildeac
05-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Any chance snrub will be open during the game today so we can chat (aka b!tch and moan about the offense, the defense, the officiating, stall ball, recruiting, our lack of big men, coaching, etc, etc, etc.... you know, just like during hoops season:o;))?

Indoor66
05-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Any chance snrub will be open during the game today so we can chat (aka b!tch and moan about the offense, the defense, the officiating, stall ball, recruiting, our lack of big men, coaching, etc, etc, etc.... you know, just like during hoops season:o;))?

Snrub is always open. I just checked and it is open now. The question is whether others will be there to chat with. Ahhhhh, unchallenged opinion. :D

devildeac
05-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Snrub is always open. I just checked and it is open now. The question is whether others will be there to chat with. Ahhhhh, unchallenged opinion. :D

I will be there so:

1. you don't necessarily get to have the majority opinion;)
2. you won't feel like EJ whilst you are chatting with yourself;)
3. I heard rumors that entries in chat will count toward your total post count for the day:o.

Indoor66
05-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I will be there so:

3. I heard rumors that entries in chat will count toward your total post count for the day:o.

You mean I have to give up unanimity? Alone is so peaceful, and such wise company. :eek:

devildeac
05-24-2008, 10:00 AM
You mean I have to give up unanimity? Alone is so peaceful, and such wise company. :eek:

Yep. And 1 out of 2 isn't bad;)

However, another strategy is to update the score on the lax thread every minute or 2 and run up those posting totals:o. I think the board software allows posting every 30 seconds so I suspect someone will have carpal tunnel syndrome before half time;).

Indoor66
05-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Yep. And 1 out of 2 isn't bad;)

However, another strategy is to update the score on the lax thread every minute or 2 and run up those posting totals:o. I think the board software allows posting every 30 seconds so I suspect someone will have carpal tunnel syndrome before half time;).

If you are diligent you can catch my post total during today's match. Of course you will have a heart attack from exertion. :D

Lavabe
05-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I will be there so:

And the emoticon choice is much better there too!:D

Lavabe
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM

So we can have a snrubchat for when Michael Fournier takes his BIG JUMP tomorrow? That might be cool!:D

devildeac
05-24-2008, 01:03 PM
If you are diligent you can catch my post total during today's match. Of course you will have a heart attack from exertion. :D

let's see: 15 minute quarters (I think) x 2 posts per minute = 30 posts per quarter x 4 quarters = 120 posts, assuming no OT. 20 minute halftime (estimate) x 2 posts per minute = 40 posts while the guys rest. That brings it up to 160 posts. Nah, no way. That leaves no time for breathing or watching the match. An interesting thought however:o:D.

Indoor66
05-24-2008, 01:07 PM
let's see: 15 minute quarters (I think) x 2 posts per minute = 30 posts per quarter x 4 quarters = 120 posts, assuming no OT. 20 minute halftime (estimate) x 2 posts per minute = 40 posts while the guys rest. That brings it up to 160 posts. Nah, no way. That leaves no time for breathing or watching the match. An interesting thought however:o:D.

Never was that so good at math but can predict heart attacks! ;)

devildeac
05-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Never was that so good at math but can predict heart attacks! ;)

Then I need to have you come work with me:D. (see profile page for occupation)

Back on topic: match time in a bit over 60 minutes. LGD!!

Bluedog
05-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Should we be for Syracuse or UVA? They always say it's hard to beat a team three times, and we've already beaten UVA twice...I can't decide. But we know UVA well (as do they know us), and have beaten them at their place. I didn't like the very end of the ACC Championship game though, as they made a run and seemed to figure us out. I think I'm for Syracuse. I guess I shouldn't worry about it right now. Need to take care of JHU first - one game at a time.

Bluedog
05-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Wow, heartbreaking 2OT loss for UVA....up by 3 goals late in the game. Hit the pipe at least twice in the OTs. That's just tough.

Karl Beem
05-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Hopefully Syracuse.:)

Bluedawg
05-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Good article on today's game:

Matt Danowski, who could play just two more games for his father, said players have not worried about the past as they've prepared for this weekend.

He said they don't plan to make the game bigger than it is.

"When it comes down to it, it's just a game," Matt Danowski said. "You can't prove anything on the field. You can't prove people wrong on the field. You can't prove your character or your family on the field."
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1083636.html

Maybe if they can win it all the rape case will finally go away.

juise
05-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Judging by that timefiller ESPN had between games, the only way that the rape case will be overlooked is if the story becomes how Duke had an unfair advantage with the extra year of eligibility.

Karl Beem
05-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Why do I have the feeling that Gregg Doyell will write his first LAX column?:cool:

Bluedog
05-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Judging by that timefiller ESPN had between games, the only way that the rape case will be overlooked is if the story becomes how Duke had an unfair advantage with the extra year of eligibility.

Yeah, seriously. That piece was interesting. I don't know how anybody could possibly want their own athletes to go through what the Duke lacrosse players went through for an extra year of availability. Plus, they weren't obligated to go to Duke. UVA had a HUGE advantage because they got Peter Lamade in his fifth year ;) Nobody is talking about that. I can see the argument that the penalty was self-imposed a bit, but I don't think it is completely valid. Also, all ACC officials (i.e. presidents, ADs) supported the decision and the NCAA said that was an important part (although, ironically, the coach of UVa didn't support the decision, but ended up with Lamade). Now, enough about that from me...Time to focus on the game itself...

Go Duke!

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, seriously. That piece was interesting. I don't know how anybody could possibly want their own athletes to go through what the Duke lacrosse players went through for an extra year of availability. Plus, they weren't obligated to go to Duke. UVA had a HUGE advantage because they got Peter Lamade in his fifth year ;) Nobody is talking about that. I can see the argument that the penalty was self-imposed a bit, but I don't think it is completely valid. Also, all ACC officials (i.e. presidents, ADs) supported the decision and the NCAA said that was an important part (although, ironically, the coach of UVa didn't support the decision, but ended up with Lamade). Now, enough about that from me...Time to focus on the game itself...

Go Duke!

I think uva also got one of the 4 recruits Duke had that year to decommit from the Devils and go to uva instead. The uva coach certainly did not complain about that. Jerk.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:22 PM
4 good shots early but 0 goals by the Devils

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:25 PM
6 shots, 0 goals. are we playing wvu:o?

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:29 PM
8 shots, 0 goals and hopkins scores quickly in transition. crap.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:33 PM
dano to greer in transition-it's 1-1.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:38 PM
hopkins tripping penalty-Duke gets all the calls-and Quinzani scores, Duke up 2-1 as the quarter ends.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:49 PM
hopkins lulls us to sleep and ties it after about a 2 minute possession. crap.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:52 PM
now the post is our best friend keeping hopkins out of the lead. whew!

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:57 PM
bad D-no help, hopkinis 3-2

Bluedog
05-24-2008, 03:58 PM
now the post is our best friend keeping hopkins out of the lead. whew!

not anymore :(

devildeac
05-24-2008, 03:59 PM
hopkins face off win and a quick over the shoulder goal, now up 4-2. i am getting a real bad feeling about this one-hopkins is in control-we average 46 shots and only have about 13 now.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Duke TO, hopkins shot-post save. we are getting 1 shot and we're done

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:02 PM
hopkins now outshooting us about 17-13 after we took the 1st 6 shots of the match.

_Gary
05-24-2008, 04:06 PM
hopkins face off win and a quick over the shoulder goal, now up 4-2. i am getting a real bad feeling about this one-hopkins is in control-we average 46 shots and only have about 13 now.

A Duke sports team underperforming in a tournament? Just par for the course at this point. I'm just trying to figure out when we sold our soul, because that's the only explanation for our sports teams underperforming so often when we are the prohibitive favorites.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Duke ball :42 to go-gotta get one now

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:09 PM
2-3 late shots and nada. a bad, bad offensive half for us with hopkins frustrating us beyond belief.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:13 PM
A Duke sports team underperforming in a tournament? Just par for the course at this point. I'm just trying to figure out when we sold our soul, because that's the only explanation for our sports teams underperforming so often when we are the prohibitive favorites.

tough to believe it's a university-wide athletic phenomenon (sold our soul? how so?) perhaps they put so much pressure on themselves after achieving so much and then just can't complete the task.

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 04:32 PM
There's a goal! Maybe that's the start of a run.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:33 PM
bad start-we miss 2-3 shots and hopkins scores in about 30 seconds, now 2-5.

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Here we go! Duke's starting to roll. We're leaving you at the station Gary!

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 04:34 PM
YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! Tie ball game!

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:35 PM
2 quick ones by the Devils, one after they tried to take Dano's head off, now4-5

_Gary
Well, at least we've evened it back up. Hopefully this relieves any pressure there might have been.

devildeac
Duke wins the face-off and scores quickly again-tied at 5. woo-hoo.

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Face-offs have been key. Gotta' get more possessions and create momentum by winning the face-offs.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:41 PM
hopkins settles down and rabil scores as he beats a defender, now down 5-6

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:44 PM
more TO and less face offs won so far are hurting us

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Right now, Rabil is the best player on both sides of the field.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:48 PM
shooting 11% in the 1st half did not help either-and we were NOT shooting 3's:o

Bluedog
05-24-2008, 04:49 PM
damn, hopklins scores as the buzzer sounds in the 3rd....7-5. We need to score in bunches I feel. The first couple minutes of the 4th are going to be key. I agree about faceoffs being key too. Danowski and Greer have been taken out of the game.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:50 PM
the quagmire just got deeper as we double-teamed hopkins as time expired and they scored making it 5-7. 2-3 more TO for us in the last 3 minutes didn't help either.

tbyers11
05-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Wow, horribly unlucky bounce on that ground ball right into Huntley's stick. Goal looked late to me but with no instant replay it stands. 7-5 Hopkins.

C'mon Devils

ugadevil
Might not want to leave the guy that's been lighting you up all day.

godukerocks
This will be a very, intense 15 minutes.

tbyers11
05-24-2008, 04:52 PM
the quagmire just got deeper as we double-teamed hopkins as time expired and they scored making it 5-7. 2-3 more TO for us in the last 3 minutes didn't help either.

Our multiple turnovers on relatively simple passes where we are not being pressured is killing us

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:54 PM
according to espn, the last goal should not have counted with the shot coming clearly after :00 was on the clock. No, valentine or hess were not in the officiating crew. crap

Bluedog
05-24-2008, 04:55 PM
One thing that has been surprising is there haven't been any extra man advantages for either team. At least, that I can recall. That's got to be pretty rare. Another unforced turnover as I type....

devildeac
05-24-2008, 04:56 PM
another ill-timed TO. we do not look good at all.

tbyers11
05-24-2008, 04:57 PM
One thing that has been surprising is there haven't been any extra man advantages for either team. At least, that I can recall. That's got to be pretty rare. Another unforced turnover as I type....

Wow another pass that Duke (Crotty) just forgot to catch. We had one 30 sec man advantage in the 1st qtr that Quinzani scored on, but that is all that I remember

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 04:58 PM
This is ugly. Not a lot of movement on offense.

SCMatt33
apparently, the espn clock is not official. It seems that were just making stupid turnovers. Can't win like that. That's exactly how you choke. 12 minutes to change that.

Bluedog
Wow another pass that Duke (Crotty) just forgot to catch. We had one 30 sec man advantage in the 1st qtr that Quinzani scored on, but that is all that I remember

Oh right. Forgot about that one. He scored too quickly after it that it didn't seem to exist in my mind :D

devildeac
30 shots and 5 goals=16.6%-usually 33% on the year

devildeac
05-24-2008, 05:01 PM
hopkins goalie looking like an all american at this point

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Even when they look to outlet right now, it's just not available. There's a goal! LGD!!!!!!!!!!

devildeac
05-24-2008, 05:03 PM
another all american save by hopkins and we just miss a rebound

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 05:04 PM
I think the Duke goalie is really sick of having to deal with WIDE OPEN shooters.

tbyers11
05-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Bad defense there. Double team Huntley and leave some guy wide open and he finishes 8-6

Danowski with another goal to make it 8-7. Let's go Devils

devildeac
really bad D on that hopkins goal-we left a guy unguarded about 10-15 yards from the goal

ugadevil
Win a couple face-offs and look what happens! YES!!!!!!!

devildeac
05-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Duke with 2 quickies to tie it at 8.

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Ok, I don't know the rules of this game very well but it seems like it's not a good idea to just run over the other guy.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 05:08 PM
more bad D-we let a guy make a cut unguarded and he recieves a nic pass and scores as we are down a man.

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Wow...huge momentum shift.

tbyers11
05-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow, Quinzani hits the post on fast break and Hopkins comes down scores on a fast break of their own. 10-8 with 4:15 left

devildeac
05-24-2008, 05:11 PM
we hit the freakin' post again, stood around and watched them go the length of the field to go up 10-8 now. Bad offense and worse defense. about 4:00 to go.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 05:13 PM
3 min. to go hopkins with the ball and running the clock out...not looking good at all

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Need a miracle here. This game has the most RIDICULOUS rules I've ever seen.

terrih
05-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Big bad bummer of a game for the boys. 1:35 to pull it out.

Oriole Way
05-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Hopkins completely owns us.

Knew we were screwed once Hopkins wound up on the same side of the bracket as us. Would have rather faced them in the finals, but they still probably would have beaten us.

Bluedog
05-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Not over yet...but need a miracle. We have 20 sec per goal...I believe!

devildeac
05-24-2008, 05:18 PM
less than a minute to go and down 2 with another all american save by hopkins. apparently that kid has about a 46% save stat and i think they said he was at 73% today. sheesh.

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Ross with the goal. Where's he been all day?

devildeac
down 1 with :26 to go-Dano keeps us alive

Bluedog
less than a minute to go and down 2 with another all american save by hopkins. apparently that kid has about a 46% save stat and i think they said he was at 73% today. sheesh.

They said he was 46% save stat through a rough spell at beginning of season, but has been 73% since, as I recall.

Bluedog
05-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Gah!!!! TO with 3 sec left! Should have called TO earlier. Cannot lose AGAIN by ONE goal to JHU - it's a curse that needs to be broken.

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 05:22 PM
How much does that goal at the end of the 3rd period hurt right now?

ugadevil
05-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Ball game. Dang it! We're becoming the lacrosse version of the Buffalo Bills.

terrih
05-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Wow. How completely disappointing (and that is a HUGE understatement). The guys just could NOT get it done against this team. And how many final weekend appearances-with the best guys- and no championship. Can't imagine how the guys feel.

I was sooo close to flying out to Boston for the weekend- really glad i didn't.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 05:26 PM
we missed 2 chances in the last 15 seconds and lose, 9-10. That hopkins goal at the end of the 3rd that came after the clock reached :00 ends up being the difference. and we get all the calls? even the guys on espn complained about that one. HOWEVER, we had too many TO, not enough face offs won and gave up several easy goals. not a good performance after a great season. D@MN.

terrih
05-24-2008, 05:27 PM
I am an instant Syracuse fan now. Lets go Orange.

CLT Devil
05-24-2008, 05:29 PM
That one hurts...same team, same goal difference we lose by for three very important games now. Can't believe its the same team we beat by 11 a couple of weeks back. Great season guys, especially those who came back for 5th year. I really wanted this one for those guys.

Mike Corey
05-24-2008, 05:35 PM
As a fan, this one hurts as much as any Duke loss.

Simply cannot imagine...

Thinkin' of the young men that represented Duke so well once more. Particularly to the seniors, congratulations and thank you for all you've done and accomplished this year and in the years that preceded it.

Hate that it ended this way.

godukerocks
05-24-2008, 05:36 PM
I am an instant Syracuse fan now. Lets go Orange.

Right now, I could care less about Monday. I am sick of Johns Hopkins lacrosse.

This one hurts just as bad as last year. Seniors, another rematch, against Hopkins, and lose by one, again.

The group of men on the team are a group of very special people. One day, Duke will win a title with John.

SmartDevil
05-24-2008, 05:38 PM

This one hurts just as bad as last year. Seniors, another rematch, against Hopkins, and lose by one, again.

The group of men of the team are a group of very special people. One day, Duke will win a title with John.

Multiple titles.

Wish this year had been the first of them.

Oriole Way
05-24-2008, 05:46 PM

The group of men of the team are a group of very special people. One day, Duke will win a title with John.

I'd have to respectfully disagree about winning a title. The last two years were our best chances. The main reason we were so good is because Mike Pressler was starting to consistently put together excellent recruiting classes. I think Danowski is a great coach and exactly the kind of leader/healer this team needed, but I am skeptical that he will be able to recruit well enough AND win tough games like today's game and last year's championship game in order to get over the hump and win it all.

Someone mentioned this Duke team being like the 90's NFL Bills teams. I think that's a fair comparison.

I've also maintained for years that Duke will not win a lacrosse title if they continue to almost completely ignore players from Maryland. That's where the best lacrosse talent comes from, but Duke has traditionally recruited from New York, New Jersey, PA, and Massachusetts. It pains me to see a kid from my high school, Kevin Huntley, destroy for us two years running, reminding me of how Duke needs to get more MD kids.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think it will only get considerably harder from here on out to ever win a national title.

dukeballer2294
05-24-2008, 05:50 PM
im as pissed as the next guy but for the seniors andmayb greer we should look at the accomplishmetns they had rather than this loss

dukerev
05-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Does anyone else feel like Charlie Brown? Lucy's pulled the dang ball out from us again!

devildeac
05-24-2008, 06:00 PM
As a fan, this one hurts as much as any Duke loss.

Simply cannot imagine...

Thinkin' of the young men that represented Duke so well once more. Particularly to the seniors, congratulations and thank you for all you've done and accomplished this year and in the years that preceded it.

Hate that it ended this way.

Mike's right. This one really hurts. I am not much of a lax fan (not too familiar with the game, ignorance, stupidity, whatever) but I feel almost as badly about this one as the 1986 loss to Loovill (sic). Lots of seniors, best team in country, fabulous record, etc. Add in the debacle in 2006 and you really, really wanted to see these guys win it all. Oriole Way may be right that 2007 and 2008 were our best chances and we may not sniff the FF again for a while. However, look what K did in '86, '88, '89 and 90 and how those years prepared him for '91 and '92. Tough, tough loss but we also could have played considerably better than we did today. Hopkins really frustrated us defensively and took us out of our game for extended periods. The guys still deserve our applause-it was a fine year.

prefan21
05-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Agony.

But I'm damn proud to call Danowski, Greer, Quinzani, Crotty, Loftus, and the rest of the guys Blue Devils. And of course coach Danowski and the staff.

godukerocks
05-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Mike's right. This one really hurts. I am not much of a lax fan (not too familiar with the game, ignorance, stupidity, whatever) but I feel almost as badly about this one as the 1986 loss to Loovill (sic). Lots of seniors, best team in country, fabulous record, etc. Add in the debacle in 2006 and you really, really wanted to see these guys win it all. Oriole Way may be right that 2007 and 2008 were our best chances and we may not sniff the FF again for a while. However, look what K did in '86, '88, '89 and 90 and how those years prepared him for '91 and '92. Tough, tough loss but we also could have played considerably better than we did today. Hopkins really frustrated us defensively and took us out of our game for extended periods. The guys still deserve our applause-it was a fine year.

That's an excellent comparison. But I hope we don't lose 3 more times in the Final Four before getting a title.

Sandman
05-24-2008, 07:45 PM
In many ways this game was eerily similar to the 1999 championship loss to the UCons. And almost as painful! In both games, unarguably superior teams were defeated by HUGE underdogs who apparently believed in themselves, refused to fold, and had outstanding game plans. Were coaches K and D overconfident and thus failed to prepare their teams? Or is there a better explanation? Whatever the reason, I hope our coaches learn from these types of gutwrenching defeats. Damn, this one hurts!

VaDukie
05-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Tough, tough loss. To any lacrosse players/families reading this, the team did a heck of a job this season and they make the school proud. I look forward to seeing what the guys do in 09. Go Duke!

_Gary
05-24-2008, 08:05 PM
One day, Duke will win a title with John.

Unfortunately, it wasn't that long ago that the same exact thing was being said about a women's basketball coach at Duke named Gail. Sorry, but sometimes you have to get it while the gettin's good. You don't always get these chances and can't assume you'll ever be back in the same position.

Right now I feel like the entire team sports department at Duke is cursed. The last 10 years have yielded far more disappointments than it seems like they should have. One title in men's basketball when it feels like it should have been more like three or four. None in women's basketball when it feels like it should have been two or three. Two great chances for championships in the last two years in men's lax down the tubes. Definitely been tough on Duke teams that entered tournaments with championship expectations over the last 10 years.

Verga3
05-24-2008, 08:18 PM
This loss was beyond tough, especially for the 5th year seniors. What an amazing journey.....one that every MLAX teammate and coach will reflect on the rest of their lives. There has not been an NCAA team in history (in any sport) that has faced what this group has.

You have made us all proud. Thank you Coach Danowski and every student-athlete. We will never forget you.

devildeac
05-24-2008, 08:42 PM
In many ways this game was eerily similar to the 1999 championship loss to the UCons. And almost as painful! In both games, unarguably superior teams were defeated by HUGE underdogs who apparently believed in themselves, refused to fold, and had outstanding game plans. Were coaches K and D overconfident and thus failed to prepare their teams? Or is there a better explanation? Whatever the reason, I hope our coaches learn from these types of gutwrenching defeats. Damn, this one hurts!

u-cons was/were not huge underdogs in 1999. IIRC, weren't they ranked #1 or #2 a lot of the year with a record very close to ours. i'd bet they weren't more than 2-3 point underdogs in that game. still, both games were tough losses as our opponents executed better than we did.

DukieInKansas
05-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm taking this loss harder than the bball loss to WVU. (Does admitting that get me infraction points?) I feel so bad for the team. To end such an amazing season with a 1pt loss has to be very difficult. I only started paying attentioin to the lacrosse teams in '05 when I caught a game on tv. I have been very impressed with how the team has handled themselves both on and off the field, especially the last few years. They are young men that anyone would be proud to have as sons, in my opinion. I look forward to next season and wish those that will be moving on to life after Duke lacrosse all the best.

Congratulations on a great season! Thank you for representing our University in such a positive way.

Barbara
T '82

godukerocks
05-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm taking this loss harder than the bball loss to WVU. (Does admitting that get me infraction points?) I feel so bad for the team.

I also feel the same; the only basketball tournament losses in the last 10 years that felt worse than this game to me are the LSU and UConn games. Well, and Indiania.

ehdg
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm very proud of this group of students. With all the strife and off the field adversity they had to deal with they did us proud. They stuck by our school even when our administration didn't really support them properly for a while. They kept their heads up high and stuck it out and came back for which we should all be grateful and thank them.

As for today's game yes I'm sick and so sorry for them. To come this close and lose yet again is a kick in the gut for them sadly. Back to back years to lose like this hurts badly. But more for them then us!! Will we get back to this level again is hard to figure. John is a good coach but how well he can recruit for us we will just have to wait and see. The reason we got where we got is because of Coach Pressler's recruiting. This was still his team as these players where all pretty much recruited by him.

Tks guys for all you've given the university the last 5 years. May you go forward with your heads held high and succeed in life!!

Sandman
05-24-2008, 11:32 PM
u-cons was/were not huge underdogs in 1999. IIRC, weren't they ranked #1 or #2 a lot of the year with a record very close to ours. i'd bet they weren't more than 2-3 point underdogs in that game. still, both games were tough losses as our opponents executed better than we did.

Duke was a 9 1/2 point favorite in the 1999 NCAA championship game -- a large spread for a national championship game.

heyman25
05-25-2008, 07:26 AM
This loss is very similar to 99 men's bb team. Both then and yesterday were games Duke should have won, but the opponents found Duke's vulnerabilities and exposed them.The Duke teams dug holes so deep that they ran out of time to recover.I agree with Oriole Way. Duke needed to seize this moment and it did not. The 5th year Seniors will have great times ahead, but this loss will sting for the rest of their lives.The what ifs will be nagging them forever.If losing to Hopkins in last years final was not enough motivation what will be?

And Duke does have a poor % in championship games. I am a Duke fan forever, but it is like rooting for the Buffalo Bills or the Chicago Cubs.Our teams seem to never thrive in championship play. Women's Golf is the exception.. They finished 3rd this year which was amazing considering how bad they played in the 1st round with howling winds in New mexico.

Saratoga2
05-25-2008, 08:22 AM
This loss is very similar to 99 men's bb team. Both then and yesterday were games Duke should have won, but the opponents found Duke's vulnerabilities and exposed them.The Duke teams dug holes so deep that they ran out of time to recover.I agree with Oriole Way. Duke needed to seize this moment and it did not. The 5th year Seniors will have great times ahead, but this loss will sting for the rest of their lives.The what ifs will be nagging them forever.If losing to Hopkins in last years final was not enough motivation what will be?

And Duke does have a poor % in championship games. I am a Duke fan forever, but it is like rooting for the Buffalo Bills or the Chicago Cubs.Our teams seem to never thrive in championship play. Women's Golf is the exception.. They finished 3rd this year which was amazing considering how bad they played in the 1st round with howling winds in New mexico.

That Johns Hopkins coach could take his'n and beat your'n or take your'n and beat his'n. They seem to have Dukes number.

blueprofessor
05-25-2008, 11:19 AM

the most devastating ,painful Duke loss ever from my perspective. There were no dry eyes in our house whether Duke grads or not. One lasting image is the apparently angry, wuffin' type comment uttered by a Hop player at our guy on the ground at the crease just after time expired.
We are proud of the team and wish every member the best!

Best regards and Godspeed to Duke lax players and coaches! :)

Bluedawg
05-25-2008, 01:36 PM
That Johns Hopkins coach could take his'n and beat your'n or take your'n and beat his'n. They seem to have Dukes number.

One interesting stat is that he has never lost to the same team twice in the same season since being at JH.

Bluedawg
05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Hopkins completely owns us.

Not really. from earlier in the season...Sat, Apr 05 Johns Hopkins 17 - 6 (Duke W) (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=2027&SPSID=25942)

From my limited knowledge of Lax it appeared that JH took Duke out of their game and made them play the style/tempo JH wanted.

godukerocks
05-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Is there a link anywhere of the post game press conference?

devildeac
05-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Not really. from earlier in the season...Sat, Apr 05 Johns Hopkins 17 - 6 (Duke W) (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=2027&SPSID=25942)

From my limited knowledge of Lax it appeared that JH took Duke out of their game and made them play the style/tempo JH wanted.

I have a limited knowledge also, but that is certainly the way it appeared. Even with some of our possessions, we passed it around quite a bit and they really packed it in defensively. The very few times we were able to run, we scored quickly. IIRC, we had more TO than they did and they won more ground balls and face offs than we did. I thought their goalie bordered on sensational (with several "saves" by the iron) and we gave up a few too many wide open shots/goals as their attackers were not "marked" (soccer term there for greybeard:D) as they made "runs" at the goal (off picks or screens?). The goal AFTER time expired at the end of the 3rd period gave them a 2 goal lead, I think, and was a huge one mentally also.

buddy
05-26-2008, 10:09 AM
First, John Danowski is our coach until either he or the new AD decide otherwise. Second, Coach K lost at least two NC games when Duke was the favorite--1986 and 1999. Third, Coach K failed to get Duke even to the Final Four in years when we were ranked #1 at the end of the season and were a #1 seed--see 2002 and 2005. I guess he's just a bad coach (being sarcastic for the literal minded ones).

Lacrosse games are won at the face-off X and on ground balls. Duke lost both of those elements of the game, the ground ball aspect badly. Maybe that's the coach's fault--but I didn't see him with a stick on the field. Duke had chances, but did not capitalize. Hopkins did. Congratulations to them.

This loss is very disappointing because of the circumstances. I went to almost every game this year, got know some of the families, which makes this more personal. But nothing can bring back 2006. These young men have demonstrated more strength of character than their elders. They will do fine in life. And that is what counts.

roywhite
05-26-2008, 10:25 AM
This loss is very disappointing because of the circumstances. I went to almost every game this year, got know some of the families, which makes this more personal. But nothing can bring back 2006. These young men have demonstrated more strength of character than their elders. They will do fine in life. And that is what counts.

This one of the most disappointing losses I can recall, and, unfortuntely, there are plenty to choose from in Duke sports history. (Between men and women's soccer, field hockey, men's and women's lax, women's b-ball, and women's x-country---our record of championships won for final fours is abysmal). So another Duke team losing in the Final Four is tough, along with:

1. The special factors surrounding this team and the incidents of 2006
2. The way this team dominated during the regular season and assaulted the record book.

I don't know the fine points of lacrosse, but I was disappointed to see Hopkins set the tempo, and uncertain why Coach Danowski seemed to be constantly telling the guys to calm down and relax. Where was the aggressiveness?

chrishoke
05-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I am a big lax fan and I think Coach Dano has done an outstanding job with the program. I, too was bitterly disappointed with the loss. It was so remindful of how UConn has owned us lately in the men's BB final four. I still think the future is bright for Duke lacrosse and I am proud to have Coach Dano leading our team and representing Duke with class.

By the way, Hopkins this year has every bit as much talent as Duke. They are 8-0 since losing to Duke. If they beat the Cuse today it will be their 10th championship. Certainly no shame in losing to them.

Thanks to all the guys who gave us so much to cheer about over their careers!:)

buddy
05-26-2008, 12:22 PM
was the 12-10 loss to NC State in the 1968 ACC Tournament. We never came out to force the action. But then, we had beaten UNC 21-20 two years earlier, and 47-40 in the game with the exciting 7-0 halftime score.

DangerDevil
05-26-2008, 03:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/scoreboard?sport=mlax

The Orange take down Hopkins 13-10.

godukerocks
05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Glad to see Hopkins get a taste of defeat.

heyman25
05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I second that emotion. Still it is painful not beating Johns Hokins for 3 years in a row in the NCAA tourney

Ben Cohen
05-26-2008, 06:23 PM
For the poster that asked about post-game audio from Saturday's loss, The Chronicle's sports blog (dukechroniclesports.com) has a one-minute clip from John Danowski, in which he talks about the fifth-year seniors. Check it out. (http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/john-danowski-the-games-arent-that-important/)

Verga3
05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
For the poster that asked about post-game audio from Saturday's loss, The Chronicle's sports blog (dukechroniclesports.com) has a one-minute clip from John Danowski, in which he talks about the fifth-year seniors. Check it out. (http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/john-danowski-the-games-arent-that-important/)

Wow......thanks for the link, Ben.

Goose bumps.

barjwr
05-27-2008, 07:44 AM
FYI, Matt Danowski is the national player of the year; John Danowski is his father/coach. Might want to correct this, unless you are stating that the coach got a NPOY since the award went to one of his players.

Bluedawg
05-27-2008, 08:58 AM
FYI, Matt Danowski is the national player of the year; John Danowski is his father/coach. Might want to correct this, unless you are stating that the coach got a NPOY since the award went to one of his players.

Duke's Matt Danowski has been named the recipient of the USILA's Lt. Raymond J. Enners Award as the National Player of the Year, as announced on Monday by the organization.

Danowski earns the nation's top honor for the second consecutive year.
http://wral.com/sports/story/2941128/

he is also projected to be the top draft pick in the LAX draft coming up.

johnb
05-27-2008, 09:34 AM
I haven't seen the stats, but it's not clear to me that Duke is especially bad at winning the big ones. Generally speaking, there are at least a handful of teams at the top (even if one of them has been voted number one) and only one can win. Aside from Duke Basketball '99, which rankles because of the associated, supposed shenanigans, I assume we're roughly average. Duke Lacrosse coulda and shoulda the past two years, but an n of 2 is meaningless.

roywhite
05-27-2008, 09:47 AM
I haven't seen the stats, but it's not clear to me that Duke is especially bad at winning the big ones. Generally speaking, there are at least a handful of teams at the top (even if one of them has been voted number one) and only one can win. Aside from Duke Basketball '99, which rankles because of the associated, supposed shenanigans, I assume we're roughly average. Duke Lacrosse coulda and shoulda the past two years, but an n of 2 is meaningless.

Men's and women's lax, men's and women's soccer, women's basketball, and field hockey have been to a collective 21 Final Fours, and won 1 title. That's not a good batting average.

Men's basketball 3 of 14; women's golf does not have a Final Four format but does have a stellar championship record. Women's x-country was a favorite a couple years back, but finished third.

I love and support the Duke teams, but our difficulty at "closing the deal" is bothersome.

Trinity84
05-27-2008, 09:51 AM
According to Inside Lacrosse, Carolina will announce the dismissal of men's lacrosse coach, John Haus, today. I wonder if the Heels will contact Mike Pressler about the job?

Link: http://insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm?pagerid=2&news=fdetail&storyid=190507

Bluedog
05-27-2008, 09:59 AM
According to Inside Lacrosse, Carolina will announce the dismissal of men's lacrosse coach, John Haus, today. I wonder if the Heels will contact Mike Pressler about the job?

Link: http://insidelacrosse.com/page.cfm?pagerid=2&news=fdetail&storyid=190507

Considering ZERO Division I teams offered Pressler a job after his Duke gig, I'd find it unlikely that North Carolina would, but who knows....Although Bryant is making the move to DI now, but won't be a "core member" until 2012.

sagegrouse
05-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Men's and women's lax, men's and women's soccer, women's basketball, and field hockey have been to a collective 21 Final Fours, and won 1 title. That's not a good batting average.

Men's basketball 3 of 14; women's golf does not have a Final Four format but does have a stellar championship record. Women's x-country was a favorite a couple years back, but finished third.

I love and support the Duke teams, but our difficulty at "closing the deal" is bothersome.

Different sports, different players, different coaches, different eras. Aside from being a statistical curiosity, do you think your numbers have any meaning? Do you think the letters D-U-K-E are bad karma on a jersey in a FF game but good karma in a regional final?

OTOH, 35 final fours in seven sports -- most of them in the past 20 years --is really good and indicative of a strong athletic program.

FWIW, many college sports have dynasties (UMd and then NW in women's lax, e.g.). In women's golf, it's Duke.

sagegrouse

Ben Cohen
05-27-2008, 10:26 AM
None of the seniors with the option of another year of eligibility declared for the draft Tuesday morning (http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/seniors-opt-not-to-enter-mll-draft/), The Chronicle's sports blog (dukechroniclesports.com) is reporting.

For the 11 players, that likely means three things: 1) some are returning to Duke for graduate school, 2) some are using their extra year somewhere else, 3) some are simply moving on from lacrosse. The two seniors with the most impact on this year's team were Zack Greer and Brad Ross.

In other not-so-surprising news, Matt Danowski, Dan Loftus, Nick O'Hara and Tony McDevitt all declared for Wednesday night's draft.

Trinity84
05-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Considering ZERO Division I teams offered Pressler a job after his Duke gig, I'd find it unlikely that North Carolina would, but who knows....Although Bryant is making the move to DI now, but won't be a "core member" until 2012.

Time has passed. The questions and concerns surrounding Pressler immediately following the false rape fiasco no longer exist. No AD is going to have to postion Pressler as a risky hire. My bet is most folks think Pressler got screwed by Duke; and there is plenty of evidence to support that view.

More importantly, he is a helluva good coach and Carolina wants to win. This doesn't mean Carolina will pursue Pressler, but it is an intersting possibility.

Devil07
05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Man that one was painful to watch. I kept waiting for the moment when we would turn it on and take control and it just never came.

But since we've got to move on, does anyone know what kind of team we should expect for next year? Not counting the potential 5th year guys, it does seem like we have some nice talent in the midfield returning with Crotty, Schoeffel, Catalino and Payton becoming seniors and Quinzani should be the star of the attack if Greer doesn't return. Does anyone know much about this year's recruits and also the kids who were freshmen this year? Do we have some talent coming in to compensate for the huge dropoff from losing so many great 5th year seniors? Somebody give me some good news please...

Trinity84
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Somebody give me some good news please...

The Bratton twins will be sophomores! One step closer to graduation. How's that for some good news? :)

greybeard
05-27-2008, 04:32 PM
The Bratton twins will be sophomores! One step closer to graduation. How's that for some good news? :)

Was anyone besides me blown away by the pedigres of those kids playing for the 'Cuse. It seems that, to play there, your father has to have won a "ring" playing at the 'Cuse, and at least one brother. Otherwise, they don't want you.

Whatever training techniques the coach there employs, everybody better start doing it. His kids seemed to have so much more in the tank than either Va or Hopkins. Hopkins, I have to believe, played the game of their season against Duke. Besides Rabil, none of them showed up on Monday, or so it seemed. Or, was Syracuse that good? Score was closer than the game seemed, was the announcer's take; mine too, for whatever that is worth.

I agree, this was a difficult one to handle. Nevertheless, a terrific season! A team to remember; young hearts mend.

pratt '04
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Whatever training techniques the coach there employs, everybody better start doing it.

Those same training techniques didn't even get 'Cuse into the NCAA tourney in 2007... I think they just happened to play great lacrosse last weekend.

Mike Corey
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Those same training techniques didn't even get 'Cuse into the NCAA tourney in 2007... I think they just happened to play great lacrosse last weekend.

Word on the street is that they were played a song about Nan Keohane, and they were so inspired that their lives completely changed for the better. Three guys on the team got Rhodes Scholarhips; four guys won the lottery; one is now dating Jessica Simpson.

Crazy song.

greybeard
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM

Not so. Those techniques, which involved structured running routines, were implemented after last season's disaster. That training, and the replacement of the defensive coordinator, were the principal differences from last year, along with the freshman goalie. The announcers predicted that Syracuse would be stronger at the end, in the fourth, against UVa and they clearly were.

For some bizzare reason, Hopkins seemed to go early in their possessions, in contrast to playing slow ball against Duke. They got eaten. Except for Rabil, who is a complete beast (his last goal, taking on at least 5 defenders who bounced off him like fleas on a horse was a testiment to a terrific career), Hopkins was simply out run the entire game, more so as the game wore on.

The number of mistakes Hopkins made on clearances alone was astonishing and precluded a serious run at victory.

Hopkin's coach I think is amazing; he shut down Dan, Greer and Crotty, and did the same thing to Syracuse's principal scorers. Only he tried to run with Syracuse, perhaps because knew that, in the end, either he built a three plus goal going into the fourth or it would be over anyway, and once he got behind, he had no choice, or Syracuse had legs going into the last game while P's boys didn't, in which case we are back to where we began--the training regimine which is brand spanking new for this season.

formerdukeathlete
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM

that no D 1 school would offer after he was fired by Duke - that this would predict interest today...you have to be kidding right....?!

One thing you point out speaks much more loudly and clearly about Pressler's ability as a coach, that Bryant is planning on stepping up to D 1.

So, it may come down to a number and who else might be interested. UNC may think Pressler may be too close to (his former) home.

But, unless Hopkins coach would hop down to Chapel Hill, there may not be a better choice if the goal is to make the most of lacrosse and win. Hence UNC's possible interest.