PDA

View Full Version : Golf/Tiger Coming to D.C. Area

gw67
02-28-2007, 08:12 AM
The big talk in town is that the PGA has again landed in D.C. and will have a tourney in early July. Tom Boswell and Wilbon had feature articles in today's Post. The key is that Tiger's charity will be the recipient of the charity money and Tiger has apparently agreed to make this a stop on his schedule. Even better, the sportscasters on TV last night were suggesting that one of his sponsors will step up to the plate and that this will become Tiger's tournament much like tournaments associated with Arnie, Jack and Byron Nelson.

The site has not been announced but the word is that Mark Alarie's home course, Congressional, will hold the tournament for at least the first two years.

It sounds like it will be a first class event.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/27/AR2007022701660.html

gw67

DankeShane
02-28-2007, 08:54 AM
I also heard that this is scheduled to happen on the same week as Tiger's wife is due to have their baby, so that will make things interesting.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM
I also heard that this is scheduled to happen on the same week as Tiger's wife is due to have their baby, so that will make things interesting.

I don't expect to see Tiger play in the event this year because of his baby's due date. Heck, Tiger said he wouldn't playing in the Brittish Open if the baby was due that week. (Even if he has won the Masters and US Open already, which would give him his second "Tiger Slam"? Really? He'll give up a chance to win an "in year Grand Slam"?)

Brings to mind Phil Mickelson's dilemma at the US Open in Pinehurst back in 99, when Amy was due to deliver any minute on that Sunday. Who can forget Payne Stewart's 18th green pep talk to Phil after Payne sunk the putt to win the tourney.

mkirsh
03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Congressional is only going to sign on to host for 2 years, so I'll be pretty interested to hear where it goes after that. I'm sure the PGA tour will push for Avanel, but doubt the players/Tiger want to go back there. The only other tournament quality course in the DC area is RTJ, but the members there grouse about the President's Cup every other year, so I doubt they would want an annual tournament. Can't really see it moving to Baltimore CC or Bulle Rock either, so I hope this thing last long enough to have Tiger more than once.

feldspar
03-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Brings to mind Phil Mickelson's dilemma at the US Open in Pinehurst back in 99, when Amy was due to deliver any minute on that Sunday. Who can forget Payne Stewart's 18th green pep talk to Phil after Payne sunk the putt to win the tourney.

Good ol' Payne. I miss that guy.

http://www.golfinglyyours.com/products/thebagpiper.jpg