PDA

View Full Version : Is Boozer On Vacation???!?!?!?!??!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
05-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Does anyone know?!?!?

moonpie23
05-08-2008, 09:32 AM
i a bit surprised also.....

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Three fouls in 13 minutes in the first half. Playing against a front line that includes Gasol and Odom is a very tough situation/matchup for Boozer. At a legit 7" 0" or 7' 1", Gasol is an underrated defender.

Let's see how he plays in Utah. Utah was the best home team in the league this year and they still have 2 shots to win one in LA - I don't think the series is over, but Boozer needs to step it up in Utah and they need consisten contribution offensively from Kirilenko.

The Spurs being down 2-0 is more suprising to me than Utah.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
05-08-2008, 10:25 AM
I think in his last 10 games he's only broke the 20 point barrier once.

Acymetric
05-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I believe he is suffering from lower back pain. I don't have a link but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 10:55 AM
In two words ... the refs:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers8-2008may08,0,7176827,full.column

An excerpt:

Utah shot the ball well early, but once the referees got into the game, it began to tip toward the Lakers. No doubt Tim Donaghy would have bet as much.

Stern's crew took Utah's best player, CarlosBoozer, out of the game with a pair of first-quarter fouls, and then added another 19 seconds after he returned to start the second quarter. Boozer finished the half with no points, the refs doing the best job of defense on Boozer in the NBA this season

SilkyJ
05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
The Spurs being down 2-0 is more suprising to me than Utah.

Agreed, and its a sham that chris paul isn't the MVP. he did more for his team than even nash did for the suns and nash was surrounded by better players. Chris paul should be the MVP no question.

heyman25
05-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I tried to point out how poorly Boozer was performing on another Duke board and got attacked. How dare you criticize Carlos Boozer's performance. He got 15 rebounds in the 1st game as his fans point out. So he is supposed to be an all star. He is letting his team down.Its not like criticizing a collegian. He is a highly paid professional basketball player.I want Carlos to do well,but he has underperformed in the playoffs as Doug Collins and Hubie Brown two pro Duke analysts have mentioned in the broadcasts.

phaedrus
05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Agreed, and its a sham that chris paul isn't the MVP. he did more for his team than even nash did for the suns and nash was surrounded by better players. Chris paul should be the MVP no question.

The MVP is a regular season award. Tell me with a straight face that you had the above opinion before watching the Hornets dismantle Dallas and take a 2-0 lead on San Antonio.

Not saying Paul wasn't one of the deserving candidates, but public opinion has clearly shifted since the playoffs began.

hc5duke
05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
In two words ... the refs:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers8-2008may08,0,7176827,full.column

An excerpt:

Utah shot the ball well early, but once the referees got into the game, it began to tip toward the Lakers. No doubt Tim Donaghy would have bet as much.

Stern's crew took Utah's best player, CarlosBoozer, out of the game with a pair of first-quarter fouls, and then added another 19 seconds after he returned to start the second quarter. Boozer finished the half with no points, the refs doing the best job of defense on Boozer in the NBA this season

Um.. I'm not sure if you actually watched the games, but there was no way anyone can claim refs unfairly took out Boozer. He was having a poor game, and ended up with loose ball fouls while chasing after his own miss.

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Um.. I'm not sure if you actually watched the games, but there was no way anyone can claim refs unfairly took out Boozer. He was having a poor game, and ended up with loose ball fouls while chasing after his own miss.

Um ... I did watch the game, but even so I didn't write the article nor did I say agreed with the article. Rather I wrote:

"LA Times Persepctive on What Was Wrong With Boozer Last Night" and linked the article. I just thought people would be interested in reading an article insinuating that the game was unevenly officiated - this isn't the first time that concept has been raised during the NBA playoffs.

Geez.

On a separate note, you say "there's no way anyone can claim refs unfairly took out Boozer." Well, the LA Times reporter did.

heyman25
05-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Boozer knows he is playing badly he stayed up til 6 am watching tape
"If I can stay out of foul trouble, I think I'll be all right," he said. "That's the biggest key for me in this series. Both games I've had foul trouble in the first half and it's hurt me, hurt my team."
LA Times

BlueintheFace
05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
It doesn't really seem to matter how good anybody else on the court is right now... Kobe has tunnel vision and can see that championship.

mr. synellinden
05-08-2008, 06:03 PM
It doesn't really seem to matter how good anybody else on the court is right now... Kobe has tunnel vision and can see that championship.

And David Stern can see dollar sign in having LA as the NBA's marquee franchise again. He's got to be saying, Enough with San Antonio and Miami and Dallas and Cleveland and the Nets in the finals - let's go back to the Boston-LA days.

DukeHoopsGuru
05-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Rumor has it he agreed to win the series for the Jazz, but Jerry Buss came by at the last minute with a better offer so he backed out of his word.

heyman25
05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I still wonder what really happened in the Gasol trade. Brian Davis would have regretted buying the Grizzlies.That franchise will bleed red ink many years into the future

moonpie23
05-09-2008, 10:56 PM
16 pts, 13 rb's so far in the third qtr...looking good with his jump shot back...

go carlos...

Newton_14
05-09-2008, 11:13 PM
never any doubt in my mind....

moonpie23
05-09-2008, 11:37 PM
27/19 with 2 min to go...jazz up 9------- kobe doesn't like it...

Verga3
05-09-2008, 11:37 PM
On Fire!!!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
05-09-2008, 11:51 PM
he saw this post and got pumped....

shadowfax336
05-10-2008, 12:34 AM
he seems to have woken up...
27 and 20 are about as good as you can ask

devildeac
05-10-2008, 12:42 AM
What, no triple double;) ?

CenOhioDukeFan
05-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Carlos took over last nights game when the Lakers got within 3. He scored 3 baskets in a row and made a nice assist to help the Jazz pull away.

Vacation over. Time to go to work!!! :)

moonpie23
05-10-2008, 10:06 AM
ha....all that talk about the "kinder, gentler " kobe looked a little lost on luke walton last night......

Acymetric
05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
ha....all that talk about the "kinder, gentler " kobe looked a little lost on luke walton last night......

To be fair, that was a really dumb mistake to make with the game on the line like that. He just threw the ball away.

phaedrus
05-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Chris Paul has gotten a lot of attention these playoffs (deservedly so), but does anyone think Deron Williams isn't one of the best two point guards in the league at this point, too?

moonpie23
05-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Chris Paul has gotten a lot of attention these playoffs (deservedly so), but does anyone think Deron Williams isn't one of the best two point guards in the league at this point, too?

ditto

MChambers
05-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Or did the refs have a bet on the Lakers today? Seemed like every call went the Lakers' way after the beginning of the fourth quarter. Reminded me of one key reason I don't like watching the NBA.

KandG
05-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Rough series for Carlos outside of Game 3. His back must really be bothering him, because he has none of the explosiveness or quickness around the basket that he showed in last year's playoffs.

He was OK (but not great) against Houston, and against the Lakers, Gasol and Odom have really given him fits. Booz is just having a brutal time finishing around the basket, and he's gotten burned frequently on defense.

mr. synellinden
05-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Or did the refs have a bet on the Lakers today? Seemed like every call went the Lakers' way after the beginning of the fourth quarter. Reminded me of one key reason I don't like watching the NBA.

Last night was no different. Just read a stat that in the 3 games at Staples, the Lakers have shot 131 FTs to the Jazz 66. How can that be random? Last night, the Jazz got called for 31 fouls, the Lakers 20.

The NBA, it's fantastic. As long as David Stern gets what he wants.

That being said, last night Utah had a real chance to steal the series. If you were rooting for them it was extremely frustrating because it was right there for the taking and they couldn't make plays when they had to. Carlos did not look good in the second half.

Papa John
05-16-2008, 09:36 AM

My favorite series was Kobe driving sideline, knocking down the defender with a forearm before falling out of bounds... Whistle blows, everyone in the arena and watching on t.v. knows that no foul will be called on Kobe, thus it will simply be a turnover and possession to Utah... But NO! Surprise, surprise, a foul is called... ON THE DEFENDER WHO GOT KNOCKED DOWN!

On another trip down the floor shortly after this call, Fisher has the ball and tries to drive around the right elbow but is cut off by a defender... Fisher crosses over his dribble and cuts to the foul line, as if to slice into the heart of the lane, but thinks better of directly challenging the Utah bigs... He then proceeds to back his fat I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. right over the stationary defender who cut his original angle off, knocking said defender down... Whistle blows and the inevitable occurs--foul ON THE DEFENDER!

The final eight minutes of that game was the first time I've watched the NBA in a long time, and simply served to remind me why that is so... I've seen less rigging in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie...

Thank god for playoff hockey!

KandG
05-17-2008, 10:01 AM
The final eight minutes of that game was the first time I've watched the NBA in a long time, and simply served to remind me why that is so...I've seen less rigging in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie...

I think you need to watch more basketball, period, before you can pass ignorant judgement on it. The Jazz-Lakers series was one of the more entertaining in the playoffs this year...sure there were some strange calls, but there are odd calls in college basketball, strange umpiring decisions in baseball, etc. It doesn't take away from what is great about those sports when the level of competition is high...unless you have an agenda, of course.

Which is more NBA hating...so tired on these boards, so tired, from people that don't bother to really watch the games.

Having said that, I wish I could have blamed Boozer's play this series on the officiating, but sadly, he just did not play well. Unfortunately, the papers are right that his game (and his rep) took a big step backward with his showing in the playoffs this year.

Edouble
05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I guess Boozer is on vacation now.

moonpie23
05-17-2008, 12:31 PM
. I've seen less rigging in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie...

Thank god for playoff hockey!

the funny thing is......if i had come in here a year ago and said... "you know...i think that donahey ref guy is fixing the games"

everyone would have just laughed at me....

the even funnier thing is... I DID SAY THAT!!!! ON the radio after a couple of the warriors/jazz games........

Papa John
05-17-2008, 01:29 PM
the funny thing is......if i had come in here a year ago and said... "you know...i think that donahey ref guy is fixing the games"

everyone would have just laughed at me....

You're simply passing ignorant judgment, you NBA-hater, you...

Which is more NBA hating...so tired on these boards, so tired, from people that don't bother to really watch the games.

Sorry to fatigue you... And, quite frankly, I'm not an NBA hater--I'm simply completely uninterested in the NBA game, for a variety of reasons (among them, a perceived general lack of passion and class among some of the premier players and a perception of officials influencing the game that appears to have some grounding in reality [or, put another way, it's a story that 'has teeth'])...

But don't let my distaste for the NBA at all detract from your enjoyment of it... Whatever floats your boat...

Also, just to clarify, I wasn't insinuating that Boozer was being victimized by poor officiating--I have no idea either way... I was simply citing some calls that were utterly, inexplicably horrendous that had the potential to affect the outcome of that game in LA's favor [if LA had been more efficient in converting these gift opportunities into points, which they were not]... And I guarantee you that Stern & co. would rather see LA move on in the playoffs than Utah...

jgehtland
05-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately, the papers are right that his game (and his rep) took a big step backward with his showing in the playoffs this year.

Wow, I guess being in the race for MVP, leading your team to the conference finals last year and playing decent ball while suffering lower back problems means taking a reputation hit. I'm not doubting that the papers said that, I'm doubting if the people at those papers know anything about basketball.

MChambers
05-17-2008, 02:31 PM
I think you need to watch more basketball, period, before you can pass ignorant judgement on it. The Jazz-Lakers series was one of the more entertaining in the playoffs this year...sure there were some strange calls, but there are odd calls in college basketball, strange umpiring decisions in baseball, etc. It doesn't take away from what is great about those sports when the level of competition is high...unless you have an agenda, of course.

Having said that, I wish I could have blamed Boozer's play this series on the officiating, but sadly, he just did not play well. Unfortunately, the papers are right that his game (and his rep) took a big step backward with his showing in the playoffs this year.

The 4th quarter of game 4 was just lousy, biased officiating, worse than I remember in any college game this year. Didn't really see any calls that affected Boozer, BTW.

This was one of the few times that I wanted to watch an NBA game this year. I've tried a few other times, but always ended up getting bored.

Truth
05-17-2008, 04:09 PM
I was simply citing some calls that were utterly, inexplicably horrendous that had the potential to affect the outcome of that game in LA's favor [if LA had been more efficient in converting these gift opportunities into points, which they were not]... And I guarantee you that Stern & co. would rather see LA move on in the playoffs than Utah...

Replace "LA" with "Duke" and "Stern & co." with "NCAA" and I think you'll start to appreciate how ridiculous this sounds...

El_Diablo
05-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Replace "LA" with "Duke" and "Stern & co." with "NCAA" and I think you'll start to appreciate how ridiculous this sounds...

You're right...it would be ridiculous to hear about Duke advancing in the playoffs against Utah.

Truth
05-17-2008, 08:26 PM
You're right...it would be ridiculous to hear about Duke advancing in the playoffs against Utah.

Heh heh.

KandG
05-17-2008, 09:04 PM
The 4th quarter of game 4 was just lousy, biased officiating, worse than I remember in any college game this year. Didn't really see any calls that affected Boozer, BTW.

This was one of the few times that I wanted to watch an NBA game this year. I've tried a few other times, but always ended up getting bored.

How was the officiating lousy or biased? Utah ended up winning the game in overtime after the Lakers made a furious comeback in the fourth quarter despite Kobe's bad back. It's reasonable to say that the officiating in all the playoff games has been a bit inconsistent in terms of how much physical play is allowed at the end of tight games, but I don't remember anything that seemed blatantly "biased".

In fact, I thought Game 4 was one of the most entertaining playoff games this season. But see, if all I did was watch one college basketball game this year, and commented on how I thought North Carolina got all the calls, college big men suck, college defensive players flop too much, and that college ball players jack up too many threes, would that be fair to the college game?

Or if all I did was watch one hockey game, and commented that I thought it was a bunch of people skating around slamming into each other, and the fans were a bunch of drunk louts banging on the glass screaming for blood, would that be fair?

Anyway, it's pretty hopeless with this crowd trying to say anything positive about the NBA.

speedevil
05-18-2008, 01:13 AM
does anyone know if boozer is still interested in joining the olympic team this summer?
i know even if he is, he still has to make the roster.

he missed last summer fiba because of an injury or his daughter's illness.

battier is already out due to an injury, not sure about elton brand, he came back strong towards the end of the season, but he might want to take the summer to get ready for next season.

JBDuke
05-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Is Boozer On Vacation???!?!?!?!??!

He is now.

heyman25
05-18-2008, 10:02 AM
He can't guard Odom or Gasol. He has a lot of vulnerabilities that the Lakers exposed.He will have to play a lot better to make the US team.

MChambers
05-18-2008, 10:35 AM
How was the officiating lousy or biased? Utah ended up winning the game in overtime after the Lakers made a furious comeback in the fourth quarter despite Kobe's bad back. It's reasonable to say that the officiating in all the playoff games has been a bit inconsistent in terms of how much physical play is allowed at the end of tight games, but I don't remember anything that seemed blatantly "biased".

In fact, I thought Game 4 was one of the most entertaining playoff games this season. But see, if all I did was watch one college basketball game this year, and commented on how I thought North Carolina got all the calls, college big men suck, college defensive players flop too much, and that college ball players jack up too many threes, would that be fair to the college game?

Or if all I did was watch one hockey game, and commented that I thought it was a bunch of people skating around slamming into each other, and the fans were a bunch of drunk louts banging on the glass screaming for blood, would that be fair?

Anyway, it's pretty hopeless with this crowd trying to say anything positive about the NBA.

1. Didn't you read the earlier post about the foul called on Utah when Kobe pushed off with his off hand? There were lots of bad calls in favor of the Lakers. The technical on Okur was pretty bad, too.

2. I didn't say it was the only NBA game I watched this year. Just said it was the only one that had me truly interested.

3. I intend to keep expressing my views on the NBA. Feel free to ignore them, or me.

phaedrus
05-18-2008, 11:20 AM
He can't guard Odom or Gasol. He has a lot of vulnerabilities that the Lakers exposed.He will have to play a lot better to make the US team.

Odom and Gasol are elite offensive players, especially as a duo. Boozer isn't a great defensive player, but it's safe to guess that Odom and Gasol will have a good series even against Tim Duncan or Tyson Chandler, two of the best defenders in the league.

I think Utah was pretty impressive in forcing a competitive series. The Lakers are the most talented team in the league.

weezie
05-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah...but the Pistons are the quietest and craftiest....:cool: