PDA

View Full Version : More Lute Olsen...

Shammrog
05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
This guy is a real piece of work... This time Miles Simon was on the receiving end.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3383663&name=ncbexperts

SilkyJ
05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Unbelievable. Didn't know about all those personal problems for Miles.

Lute's head is clearly not on straight right now. It seems quite clear he needed to take that leave of absence, though now it seems he may have returned too soon.

brevity
05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
The turmoil in Tucson sort of begs the question...

Which men's basketball program is in worse shape right now: Arizona or Indiana?

I'm inclined to say Indiana for now, due to their sheer lack of players. But if assistant coach Josh Pastner leaves Arizona, I could change my mind.

jma4life
05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Can you guys imagine K firing Collins, Wojo, or any of the former players?

I didn't read the full article since I don't have insiders but from the gist of the start of the article, it sounds as if Simon has not done anything which would clearly merit this decision?

I mean, I guess Duke was possibly unfair to Gaudette (don't know the behind the scenes stuff so I can't comment but some make that claim ) but he was not a former player.

Anyway, you have to wonder how they keep bringing in talent like Brandon Jennings.

BD80
05-06-2008, 08:20 PM
This guy is a real piece of work... This time Miles Simon was on the receiving end.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3383663&name=ncbexperts

Can someone give some info from the article? Not block quotes, but just the noncopyrightable "news".

Here is some info on the situation at Arizona. It sounds like Pastner may be getting more money to go to Memphis (he should have been given UA's top paying assistant spot!). Miles Simon was booted, but nobody is saying why. Another assistant is on the way - Mike Dunlap, currently an assistant with the Nuggets.

Dunlap would likely be hired as the lead assistant, possibly with a salary that approaches the $375,000 Arizona set aside for Kevin O'Neill last spring.
As of now, Pastner makes $123,900 in a No. 2 assistant's role and would likely have a chance to earn more as an assistant at Memphis. It is unclear what Pennell will make. The UA denied a public records request to release Pennell's offer sheet Monday, saying there is not yet a finalized written agreement.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/237650

Could be that NONE of the coaches on the bench two months ago will be on the bench in November.

I wonder if Lute thinks that Simon supported O'Neil? Or that all of the assistants were covering up the theft of the strawberries?

roywhite
05-06-2008, 09:19 PM
I wonder if Lute thinks that Simon supported O'Neil? Or that all of the assistants were covering up the theft of the strawberries?

Lute...eccentric behavior, strange outbursts, "everybody's out to get me"....I like the Captain Queeg reference. :)

weezie
05-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Something has been left out too long in that AZ sun, either it's Lute's head without a hat or something else that now stinks.

davekay1971
05-07-2008, 08:34 AM

I'm inclined to say Indiana for now, due to their sheer lack of players. But if assistant coach Josh Pastner leaves Arizona, I could change my mind.

I'd say Arizona. Indiana at least has it's coaching problem solved - and solved well. Indiana is going to suck for the next couple years, and suck hard. However, Crean will be able to recruit talent to Indiana. Indiana's going to be a top 20 team within 5 years, and I have a feeling the Hoosier faithful are going to give Crean all the time he needs. Arizona, on the other hand, has a coaching problem, big time. Lute clearly isn't going out the door quietly or easily, and I'm sure the university is not going to want to fire the guy. Recruits are paying attention to this - think any top-flight recruit is going to want to pick Arizona right now? It's a mess, and I don't see an easy solution coming soon.

BD80
05-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Recruits are already noticing the instability, 2009 stud PG Abdul Gaddy is watching the situation.

How about Chase Budinger? Even if he is just testing the waters, what incentive does he have to come back to this mess? If Pastner goes to Memphis, there is even less reason to return. Without Budinger, next year's team is hard pressed to make the tournament.

Bayless is a one year wonder, and Hill and Wise would likely jump ship after next year as well. Things could be VERY ugly in Tuscon a year from now.

All in all, I think Indiana is in better shape. And that is sad.

I guess the good news out of Tuscon is that there is now a qualified replacement for Lute on campus. Apparently, Nuggets assistant Mike Dunlap is well enough thought of to get an interview for the Chicago Bulls coaching job. Of course, Lute doesn't have a history of getting along well with his supposed successor.

BD80
05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
This article from Gary Parrish suggests that Budinger is gone and that Jennings may not qualify:

A 73-year-old man (Olson) whose health has been questioned for years is coming off a leave of absence and trying to lead a program that is expected to lose its top two players (Jerryd Bayless and Chase Budinger) from a squad that just finished seventh in the Pac-10.

That's a tall order, and that Olson will likely do it without a single returning assistant -- while going through a publicly nasty divorce -- should make it even taller, and if McDonald's All-American Brandon Jennings doesn't qualify (he still has some serious work to do, I'm told) then Wildcat basketball could be headed toward its worst season in many decades.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10816531

gotham devil
05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
This article from Gary Parrish suggests that Budinger is gone and that Jennings may not qualify:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10816531

After his complaints and not subtle hints about ref bias following the Arizona collapse in the 2001 FF, Olson gets what he deserves.

It's great to see the two coaches, Olson and Gary Williams, who promoted this idea of Duke favoritism by the refs, have their programs in such an embarrassing state of disarray.

hurleyfor3
05-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Simon says: lose your job.

BD80
05-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Pastner will announce his decision Friday whether he is going to Memphis. Apparently he is feeling passed over for the associate head coaching spot at Az:

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/238036

It gets really interesting because prize recruit Abdul Gaddy is visiting with his family this weekend. Maybe they can attend the presser where the lead recruiter jumps ship.

gotham devil
05-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Pastner will announce his decision Friday whether he is going to Memphis. Apparently he is feeling passed over for the associate head coaching spot at Az:

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/wildcats/238036

It gets really interesting because prize recruit Abdul Gaddy is visiting with his family this weekend. Maybe they can attend the presser where the lead recruiter jumps ship.

http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/05/pastner-to-memp.html
Pastner is gone.

brevity
05-08-2008, 07:55 PM
http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/05/pastner-to-memp.html
Pastner is gone.

In that case, I'm switching my vote: whether or not Brandon Jennings is eligible to play this fall, the Arizona program is in worse shape than Indiana's.

I feel sorry for Jordan Hill and Nic Wise having to steer a sinking ship next year. They won't be in the Pac-10 cellar -- that's probably still Oregon State -- but could finish 8th or 9th.

On the flip side, it's a good time to be Herb Sendek.

jma4life
05-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Other than Coach Knight (and arguably Torre for the Yankees- I personally wouldn't call him a legendary coach since he was only there 13 years or so), have any "legend" coaches for a particular team in professional or college sports been forced out?

Because with the way things are looking in Az, that might be necessary. Even if the team is somewhat successful, the turmoil there is seemingly getting out of hand.

And for Arizona's program, I would classify Lute as a "legendary" coach.

gvtucker
05-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Other than Coach Knight (and arguably Torre for the Yankees- I personally wouldn't call him a legendary coach since he was only there 13 years or so), have any "legend" coaches for a particular team in professional or college sports been forced out?

Because with the way things are looking in Az, that might be necessary. Even if the team is somewhat successful, the turmoil there is seemingly getting out of hand.

And for Arizona's program, I would classify Lute as a "legendary" coach.

Denny Crum was forced out of Louisville.
Lefty Driesell was forced out of Maryland.
Jim Valvano was forced out of NC State.
Eddie Sutton was forced out of Oklahoma St.
Nolan Richardson was forced out of Arkansas.
Jerry Tarkanian was forced out of UNLV.

Dang, there are a bunch.

ETA: I see you were asking for a particular team, so that probably would rule out Valvano and Sutton. The rest would still apply.

shadowfax336
05-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure that any of those coaches are as "legendary" as Lute though...
although its a very subjective phrase obviously.

dkbaseball
05-08-2008, 10:26 PM

A few more come right to mind:

Casey Stengel -- Yankees
Billy Martin -- Yankees, multiple times
Lou Holtz -- Arkansas and Jets
arguably Don Shula at Miami

mgtr
05-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Is there anyone at Arizona with the guts to stand up to Lute?

BD80
05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Is there anyone at Arizona with the guts to stand up to Lute?

Christine

weezie
05-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Bayless had some brains and the talent to back them up.

Sad, though.

gotham devil
05-09-2008, 01:40 AM

Dang, there are a bunch.

ETA: I see you were asking for a particular team, so that probably would rule out Valvano and Sutton. The rest would still apply.

I'm a Met fan, but he didn't think Torre was "legendary" because he was there for thirteen years (although it was actually a dozen) and he's got twice as many titles as any of those guys. Crum was the only one of those who didn't leave under a cloud of disgrace.

dukemomLA
05-09-2008, 02:48 AM
I think posters on this thread are correct about problems at Arizona & Indiana, but I'd like to add Maryland to the list. (...and perhaps WVA, if Huggins is ....uh....impaired).

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Casey Stengel -- Yankees

How about Paul Brown? He was fired by Art Modell in the early 1960s after leading the Cleveland Browns to many NFL championships in the 1950s.

ArnieMc
05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
How about Paul Brown? He was fired by Art Modell in the early 1960s after leading the Cleveland Browns to many NFL championships in the 1950s.
Tom Landry - Cowboys

wilko
05-12-2008, 10:26 AM
I happened to have my radio set to the local station 850am and was driving around this weekend...

Caught a piece of the Bomani (sp?) Jones show...

He was citing some internet rumor on air he picked up that Miles was knocking boots with Lutes wife.. IF thats the case, Lute absoLUTEly did the right thing. I'll back him on that, if thats really the case. You cant employ a guy who does THAT to you.

So from Lutes perspective... someone snaked his lady.... someone snaked his team... yeah I guess folks ARE out to get him afterall.

Im not apologist for Lute, but if you have that many things spinning out of control it takes a toll and folks respond in unexpected way to stress triggers.

ArnieMc
05-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Based on some of the stuff that's coming out, one can't help but think that maybe Lute is in the early stages of senility/dementia/Alzheimer's or something.

monkey
05-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Casey Stengel -- Yankees

Heh heh - Bill Gutthridge, UNC