PDA

View Full Version : Foods for Detoxing the Body

EarlJam
05-06-2008, 09:59 AM
What are the best foods (liquid and solid) for safely detoxing the body?

Spinach? Blueberries? Water?

If I were to go on a one-week detox binge, what would you recommend? Seriously.

-EarlJam

CathyCA
05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Broccoli and watermelon.

Indoor66
05-06-2008, 10:11 AM
What are the best foods (liquid and solid) for safely detoxing the body?

Spinach? Blueberries? Water?

If I were to go on a one-week detox binge, what would you recommend? Seriously.

-EarlJam

.38 + Smith & Wesson :D

wilson
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Cranberry juice is good too. And buy a couple of boxes of Fiber One cereal.
Also green tea.
Not that I would know.

EarlJam
05-06-2008, 10:34 AM
.38 + Smith & Wesson :D

I don't think that was very nice. And how could you be so insensitive, suggesting suicide so close to the recent suicide of the D.C. Madam?

I never thought I'd say this to you Indoor66, but I have to do it. Indoor66, may you burn in Hell.

-EarlJam

P.S. Just kidding.

EarlJam
05-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Cranberry juice is good too. And buy a couple of boxes of Fiber One cereal.
Also green tea.
Not that I would know.

Ah! Cranberry juice. That's a GREAT call. You can get the pure juice in the stores and dilute it with water. That and fiber will detox you in a jiffy.

Thanks!

-EJ

A-Tex Devil
05-06-2008, 10:43 AM
A guy I work for just did this "ultra-cleanse" thing for 10 days.

It essentially (and I'm speaking from memory so measurements may be off) was 8-12 pints of a concoction consisting of mostly water, a few table spoons of maple syrup, some lemon juice and some cayenne pepper. Each morning when he woke up, he also drank a pint of saltwater. Nothing else. No vitamins, supplements, nothing.

He said the first 3 days were hell, but by day 10 he could have kept going and had lots of energy. He also said that he couldn't plan anything within an hour after he drank that saltwater.

Not for me, but apparently, this isn't an unpopular method of "cleansing."

EarlJam
05-06-2008, 10:53 AM

It essentially (and I'm speaking from memory so measurements may be off) was 8-12 pints of a concoction consisting of mostly water, a few table spoons of maple syrup, some lemon juice and some cayenne pepper. Each morning when he woke up, he also drank a pint of saltwater. Nothing else. No vitamins, supplements, nothing.

He said the first 3 days were hell, but by day 10 he could have kept going and had lots of energy. He also said that he couldn't plan anything within an hour after he drank that saltwater.

During this time, did he eat anything?

TillyGalore
05-06-2008, 10:58 AM
These might help. :cool:

http://www.colonblow.com/

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/89/89ecolonblow.phtml

EarlJam
05-06-2008, 11:12 AM
These might help. :cool:

http://www.colonblow.com/

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/89/89ecolonblow.phtml

Colonblow.com?

Thanks, but I'm not going there! Besides, I recently used the Colon Kit my brother gave me for Christmas, and EarlJam's colon is clean and in great shape.

Behold my Golden Colon!

-ColonJam

OldPhiKap
05-06-2008, 11:30 AM
^ Actually, you don't want colonjam. It is either painful or not very tasty (depending on which definition of "jam" you're using).

For detox, I use grain alcohol and arugula. Clean you out like nobody's business.

AtlBluRew
05-06-2008, 12:17 PM
EarlJam, I recommend you go to Arden's Garden here in our hometown of Atlanta and get their 3 day detox. It's a regimen of distilled water and juices, mostly cranberry and lemon juices, I think. Three days is a relatively minor commitment, and you'll have a sense of whether you want to go further.

There are two or three Arden's Garden stores around. The one I go to is on Monroe at 10th/Virginia. Good luck!

EarlJam
05-06-2008, 12:42 PM
EarlJam, I recommend you go to Arden's Garden here in our hometown of Atlanta and get their 3 day detox. It's a regimen of distilled water and juices, mostly cranberry and lemon juices, I think. Three days is a relatively minor commitment, and you'll have a sense of whether you want to go further.

There are two or three Arden's Garden stores around. The one I go to is on Monroe at 10th/Virginia. Good luck!

Wow. AWESOME advice, thanks!

I will most certainly do this.

-EJ

OldPhiKap
05-06-2008, 12:43 PM

I guarantee you that's the only thing getting detoxed at Piedmont Park.

Truth
05-06-2008, 12:46 PM

I also know someone in the midst of this 10-day program. I believe food of any kind is completely off limits.

That said, is this even remotely healthly?? I struggle to imagine going 10 days without any food -- why would I want to do this?

Fish80
05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Trim spa, baby!

OldPhiKap
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Trim spa, baby!

Worked for Anna Nicole. Kinda.

ugadevil
05-06-2008, 02:23 PM
If I were looking for detox foods, I'd just eat at Yoforia (http://www.yoforia.com/) everyday.

Rich
05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Not that you're necessarily looking to lose weight, but I decided to change my eating habits for the better in January and lost about 14 lbs since then (from 182 to 168 -- I'm a 5'10" male). I did a modified South Beach diet, which focuses on better eating habits rather than diminishing the amount of food you eat. The first two weeks is somewhat like a diet, but since then I focused on the following:

Decrease the overall amount of carbs and limit those carbs to "good" carbs such as whole grains; and
Limit the amount of processed sugars (e.g., candy, soft drinks, etc.)

I snack on lots of almonds, fresh fruit, dried fruit, and I eat lots of fiber (e.g., fiber cereal, lentils, legumes, beans), but other than that I eat the same sized portions as I always did and allow for some special treats, like a piece of chocolate, on an almost daily basis.

My weight has leveled off since I started, which is fine because I only wanted to lose about 5-6 lbs in the first place, but it's been relatively painless.

bjornolf
05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Trim spa, baby!

and other diet pills, I just read an article based on a scientific study saying that eating an apple about twenty minutes before each meal resulted in similar weight loss to diet pills. Apparently there is some chemical in apples that triggers similar reactions in people to diet pills, thus controlling appetite, resulting in people eating less at their meals and losing weight. I'm not a nutritionist, but I found it interesting, and I figure you're probably better off eating an apple than popping a pill. ;)

wilko
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
... Ive heard good things about drinking pickle juice.

Not a euphamisim for anything... literally, the juice that packs pickles in a jar.

ugadevil
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
and other diet pills, I just read an article based on a scientific study saying that eating an apple about twenty minutes before each meal resulted in similar weight loss to diet pills. Apparently there is some chemical in apples that triggers similar reactions in people to diet pills, thus controlling appetite, resulting in people eating less at their meals and losing weight. I'm not a nutritionist, but I found it interesting, and I figure you're probably better off eating an apple than popping a pill. ;)

Can you eat any apple and it'll have the same effect? I'd heard green apples are more effective for waking you up than coffee. Maybe I'll try this study with apple pie.:cool:

A-Tex Devil
05-06-2008, 03:45 PM

No. I couldn't believe it either when he told me, but his wife confirmed it, and he's the type of guy that would go all out.

Apparently a couple dozen table spoons of maple syrup and the lemon juice provide enough sugar and vitamin C. I don't know where you get the protein. I decided to google it, and low and behold it has a Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Cleanse

Apparently people drink tea as well to go with it. Sounds pretty stupid IMHO, but the dude here said he felt great at the end of 10 days.

DevilAlumna
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
I had a friend who every year or so did a "fast" of sorts; only red grapes and water for three days.

TheRose77
05-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Instead of cayenne pepper, use Texas Pete. It mixes better. Cayenne pepper just sits on top of the mixture. Also, most "maple syrup" is made of high fructose corn syrup. Log Cabin isn't real maple syrup. If you don't have real maple syrup, you might want to try honey instead. Out of lemon juice? Use cider vinegar.
This method of detoxing the system is pretty popular. Cheap, too. And it isn't about losing weight. It's about cleaning your innards.

EarlJam
05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Instead of cayenne pepper, use Texas Pete. It mixes better. Cayenne pepper just sits on top of the mixture. Also, most "maple syrup" is made of high fructose corn syrup. Log Cabin isn't real maple syrup. If you don't have real maple syrup, you might want to try honey instead. Out of lemon juice? Use cider vinegar.
This method of detoxing the system is pretty popular. Cheap, too. And it isn't about losing weight. It's about cleaning your innards.

You know, if the heart, the soul are innards, then I do want a detox - because this big fella has so much more love he wants to give. You see, I've found that the more bitterness you take OUT of the heart, the more love you have to put IN to the world and humanity.

-EJ

Indoor66
05-07-2008, 04:09 PM
You know, if the heart, the soul are innards, then I do want a detox - because this big fella has so much more love he wants to give. You see, I've found that the more bitterness you take OUT of the heart, the more love you have to put IN to the world and humanity.

-EJ

A wonderful sentiment. Thanks EJ.

Channing
05-07-2008, 04:12 PM
i guess this thread is a good place for this question:

are hycolonics (sp?) good for you? My buddy's fiance is trying to get him to do it - I told him he's crazy. I have no medical background - but from what I can tell doctors say it isnt good and homeopathic types say its great.

Anyone with actual knowledge know?

OldPhiKap
05-07-2008, 04:41 PM

-EJ

"And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

-- The Beatles

BCGroup
05-07-2008, 07:01 PM
My trainer recommends a three day detox--day one is nothing but fruit and fruit juice, day two nothing but water, day three back to fruit and fruit juice. Not that bad and very cleansing.

Lavabe
05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
"And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

-- The Beatles

Awesome! (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1771078879548684792&q=%22chris+farley%22&total=1284&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4)

Go to 1:40 into the clip.
Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
05-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Awesome! (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1771078879548684792&q=%22chris+farley%22&total=1284&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4)

Go to 1:40 into the clip.
Cheers,
Lavabe

All you need is love...

Love is all you need...

dukemomLA
05-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Cranberry juice and LOTS and water -- and more water. Fiber.

More juice and fruit. Oatmeal to stave off hunger. More water and some protein -- a nice rare steak?

Exercise, with all this and then add a carb or two -- a little pasta? Garlic is always welcome. Water, water, water.