PDA

View Full Version : Next Years Rotation

dukeimac
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Playing time should be interesting next year.

PG Paulus and Smith 17 minutes each and Scheyer 6 minutes - depends on who the opponents PG is will dictate - Paulus is smarter but Smith is quicker and Scheyer gives that explosion right before half

SG Scheyer 18 minutes; Picous 11 minutes; and Williams 11 minutes - Scheyer is proven, Pocius needs to show he is recovered and Williams needs to prove himself

SF Henderson 30 minutes and Singular 10 - penetration gives way here but three point shooting will also be needed, they will need to pick and choose the time for each

PF Singular 20 minutes; Thomas 10 Minutes and Plumlee 10 minutes - Singular's width helps here and Thomas is getting better but big improvement is needed for more time and Plumlees long arms will be good in help out situations. Once he learns when to time the help out he could block a lot of shots.

Post Zo 12 minutes; Czyz 12 minutes; McClure 12 minutes and Thomas 4 minutes. Zo can hold himself against most post players and Czyz and McClure will body them up with some help out from the likes of Plumlee and Thomas.

Who is there go to guy, any one of them could be. They will need to play as a TEAM next year with 12 guys who can play. If they don't play as a team, there could be a couple of transfers after next season.

Duvall
05-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Singular

This is new.

What's the point of trying to project minutes for players who haven't even graduated from high school yet?

Got_Duke
05-06-2008, 01:44 AM
he must be an InsiderCarolina dude

doesn't know how to spell SINGLER? Wow

ice-9
05-06-2008, 02:02 AM
McClure at the 5? Plumlee at the 4??

CameronCrazy'11
05-06-2008, 02:44 AM
More realistically I might say

Singler - 29
Scheyer - 29
Henderson -29
Paulus - 27
Smith - 16
Thomas - 14
Williams - 13
Zoubek - 14
Plumlee - 10
McClure - 7
Czyz - 6
Pocious - 5
Davidson - 1

Seems like Smith sholud get more minutes, but until Paulus graduates he probably won't get that much more unless K lets him play more time at the 2. The frontcourt is a little uncertain. Obviously Singler is the real deal, but it's still uncertain how Lance, Zoubek, Plumlee, and Czyz will perform next year. Any one of them could be much better than expected next year.

eddiehaskell
05-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Tell me again - why are we guessing minutes played? :D

CameronCrazy'11
05-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Tell me again - why are we guessing minutes played? :D

As opposed to what? Doing something constructive with our time?

El_Diablo
05-06-2008, 07:00 AM
More realistically I might say

Singler - 29
Scheyer - 29
Henderson -29
Paulus - 27
Smith - 16
Thomas - 14
Williams - 13
Zoubek - 14
Plumlee - 10
McClure - 7
Czyz - 6
Pocious - 5
Davidson - 1

Seems like Smith sholud get more minutes, but until Paulus graduates he probably won't get that much more unless K lets him play more time at the 2. The frontcourt is a little uncertain. Obviously Singler is the real deal, but it's still uncertain how Lance, Zoubek, Plumlee, and Czyz will perform next year. Any one of them could be much better than expected next year.

This seems far more realistic than the first post, which pretty much cut Paulus' minutes average in half. I don't really see Scheyer handling the point for six minutes "right before [the] half" unless Smith and Paulus are injured or in foul trouble.

The first post also makes the fatal mistake of trying to dole out minutes by position. Coach K doesn't play a traditional PG/SG/SF/PF/POST lineup. There will be times that Duke fields a 4-guard lineup, so the numbers won't balance out nicely between guards and forwards. And it's entirely possible that someone like Czyz might be limited to 4 minutes a game...or 15. It all depends on how they develop over the summer and fit into the system. I think Pocius might still be given the short end of the stick with regards to minutes on the perimeter though. Paulus, Smith, Henderson, Scheyer, and Williams are all playmakers that will keep Pocius' minutes down.

Looking at this roster, I'm excited for next season. Everyone spoke to Duke's depth this season, but it's going to be incredible this fall!

Saratoga2
05-06-2008, 08:16 AM
This seems far more realistic than the first post, which pretty much cut Paulus' minutes average in half. I don't really see Scheyer handling the point for six minutes "right before [the] half" unless Smith and Paulus are injured or in foul trouble.

The first post also makes the fatal mistake of trying to dole out minutes by position. Coach K doesn't play a traditional PG/SG/SF/PF/POST lineup. There will be times that Duke fields a 4-guard lineup, so the numbers won't balance out nicely between guards and forwards. And it's entirely possible that someone like Czyz might be limited to 4 minutes a game...or 15. It all depends on how they develop over the summer and fit into the system. I think Pocius might still be given the short end of the stick with regards to minutes on the perimeter though. Paulus, Smith, Henderson, Scheyer, and Williams are all playmakers that will keep Pocius' minutes down.

Looking at this roster, I'm excited for next season. Everyone spoke to Duke's depth this season, but it's going to be incredible this fall!

I wouldn't want to comment on minutes, since they will be determined by ability, experience and performance in practice and the game situations. I would point out that while Paulus and Smith tended to bring the ball up court last season, it was Scheyer who did a large part of the play making. I thought that was because Scheyer has greater size, which is an advantage and he also is calm and plays within himself. Not so much show, just well constructed plays. Unless there is a big change in Smith and Paulus, I see that team approach continuing. So what is a point guard? Is he the guy that brings the ball up court under pressure, or is he the playmaker in the halfcourt?

dukeimac
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I did this because there are going to be some issues next year. And they could become big issues.

If things don't go right for Plumlee things may get off to a rocky start with his brother too, and the younger brother too. And Miles coach has him fitting in at a 3, do you think he'll do good at a 5? His build lends him more to a 3 or 4 and there are already a ton of guys at the 3. That is why I put him at the 4.

Czyz played very well in the DC tourney, do you think he'll stick around if he plays sparingly, i.e. King. After the DC tourney you know there is other interest in him. Heck, Maryland for sure.

Do you think if Williams doesn't play much other SGs will want to commit? Boynton and McDonald are waiting to see how this plays out. They loose 2 guys of the 1-2-3's and that is Paulus and Pocius. At this time most don't give Pocius much time so Paulus is really the only minutes they give up. Do you think Boynton or McDonald want to come to Duke for 10 minutes? Just about any other team will give them at least 20 right away. Texas, Uconn, Tenn & Memphis all have room for these guys right away.

As for McClure, he did guard the post players some this year, i.e. Hans. The Duke offense didn't run much through the post so playing him at the 5 on defense isn't an issue, he can do it. Actually having smaller guys play Hans and then having leapers like Plumlee and Thomas come over to help, blocking his shots is a very good strategy, i.e. Camby.

Smith's mentor is at Stanford, do you think 17 minutes is enough? If he goes to Standford and plays for his mentor he'll get a lot more than 17 minutes.

It is easy to guess minutes but you have to put them in positions. If Scheyer, Henderson and Singler are going to get 29 minutes they would have to be at the 2, 3, and 4's quit a bit. Who sits?

With Paulus getting 27 minutes and Smith 16, that forces 3 minutes of Paulus at the 2 spot.

With Scheyer getting 29 minutes and Paulus getting 3 minutes that only leaves 8 minutes for Williams at the 2.

Williams then gets 5 minutes at the 3 spot with Henderson's 29 and that leaves 6 minutes for Singler (and I thought everyone was excited that Singler would get to play the 3 this year).

Singler then gets 23 minutes at the 4 spot.

That leaves 17 minutes at the 4 spot and 40 minutes at the post. That means Pocius, McClure, Czyz, Plumlee, Zo and Thomas. 6 guys for 43 minutes?

Pocius is no 4 and Coack K won’t play him there, so who moves up? Zo is the only true post player so Duke already is forced to play some offense without a true post player. If Zo is only going to get about 14 minutes then 26 minutes will be played without a true post, who will it be? Thomas has done it in the past but if you think Singler is best fit for a 3 then you have to think Thomas is best fit for a 4. If he plays the 4 then that leaves 3 minutes at the 4 spot and the post time split between Zo, McClure, and Czyz. Just like I have it. Plumlee gets 3 minutes at the 4 and some at the 5, where he isn't fit, IMO. But there is no time for Pocius or Davidson unless they play the post.

I love predictions without thought, sounds like political jargon.

rtnorthrup
05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
it's May and already we have Czyz and Smith transferring, with the Plumlees unhappy. How will we ever survive?

Indoor66
05-06-2008, 09:38 AM
it's May and already we have Czyz and Smith transferring, with the Plumlees unhappy. How will we ever survive?

It won't be with a shooting guard because they won't come to Duke after William's experience! What a load. :confused:

Jumbo
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
This is new.

What's the point of trying to project minutes for players who haven't even graduated from high school yet?

Not only that (and what happens if "Singular" gets a double-double?), but we'll also apparently have Alonzo Mourning in the game next year. Sadly, he'll only play 12 mpg.

Indoor66
05-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Not only that (and what happens if "Singular" gets a double-double?), but we'll also apparently have Alonzo Mourning in the game next year. Sadly, he'll only play 12 mpg.

In this case it would be Morning because 'Zo would have, essentially, Risen to play.

roywhite
05-06-2008, 10:22 AM
I did this because there are going to be some issues next year. And they could become big issues.

If things don't go right for Plumlee things may get off to a rocky start with his brother too, and the younger brother too. And Miles coach has him fitting in at a 3, do you think he'll do good at a 5? His build lends him more to a 3 or 4 and there are already a ton of guys at the 3. That is why I put him at the 4.

Czyz played very well in the DC tourney, do you think he'll stick around if he plays sparingly, i.e. King. After the DC tourney you know there is other interest in him. Heck, Maryland for sure.

Do you think if Williams doesn't play much other SGs will want to commit? Boynton and McDonald are waiting to see how this plays out. They loose 2 guys of the 1-2-3's and that is Paulus and Pocius. At this time most don't give Pocius much time so Paulus is really the only minutes they give up. Do you think Boynton or McDonald want to come to Duke for 10 minutes? Just about any other team will give them at least 20 right away. Texas, Uconn, Tenn & Memphis all have room for these guys right away.

You have found gloom and doom where there is none.

About all we know now is that we will have a good, deep team next year, and there will be competition for minutes. That's hardly a bad thing.

Edouble
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Seems pretty obvious that we'll have to sit Paulus for most of his senior season to give Plumlee and Czyz enough minutes to keep them happy, as it's too late for Greg to transfer at this point. Hopefully Brian Alonzoubek will break his foot again too so that Nolan Smith can pick up some minutes (even if it is at the 5 spot).

sagegrouse
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM

As for McClure, he did guard the post players some this year, i.e. Hans. The Duke offense didn't run much through the post so playing him at the 5 on defense isn't an issue, he can do it. Actually having smaller guys play Hans and then having leapers like Plumlee and Thomas come over to help, blocking his shots is a very good strategy, i.e. Camby.

Smith's mentor is at Stanford, do you think 17 minutes is enough? If he goes to Standford and plays for his mentor he'll get a lot more than 17 minutes.

It is easy to guess minutes but you have to put them in positions. If Scheyer, Henderson and Singler are going to get 29 minutes they would have to be at the 2, 3, and 4's quit a bit. Who sits?

With Paulus getting 27 minutes and Smith 16, that forces 3 minutes of Paulus at the 2 spot.

With Scheyer getting 29 minutes and Paulus getting 3 minutes that only leaves 8 minutes for Williams at the 2.

Williams then gets 5 minutes at the 3 spot with Henderson's 29 and that leaves 6 minutes for Singler (and I thought everyone was excited that Singler would get to play the 3 this year).

That leaves 17 minutes at the 4 spot and 40 minutes at the post. That means Pocius, McClure, Czyz, Plumlee, Zo and Thomas. 6 guys for 43 minutes?

Pocius is no 4 and Coack K won’t play him there, so who moves up? Zo is the only true post player so Duke already is forced to play some offense without a true post player. If Zo is only going to get about 14 minutes then 26 minutes will be played without a true post, who will it be? Thomas has done it in the past but if you think Singler is best fit for a 3 then you have to think Thomas is best fit for a 4. If he plays the 4 then that leaves 3 minutes at the 4 spot and the post time split between Zo, McClure, and Czyz. Just like I have it. Plumlee gets 3 minutes at the 4 and some at the 5, where he isn't fit, IMO. But there is no time for Pocius or Davidson unless they play the post.

While I know that every silver lining has a cloud, this post claims that the silver lining of having 12 good scholarship players compete for minutes brings along a thunderstorm, hurricane, cyclone and tornado.

Sheesh!

sagegrouse

shadowfax336
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM

Uh oh...

And what if someday they all have sons, and their deepfelt bitterness towards Duke boils over, and they all go to UNC to play with Hansbrough's son and Greg Oden's grandson, and UNC wins 4 national championships in a row with the Plumlee kids playing the 1,2,3 spots?

Are you just trying to get in early to try and be the first to predict this? (Switching to serious mode for a second, King was at one point ranked #1 in his class, Czyz is generally ranked between 60-120 in his (weaker) class. I think he probably understands that he might not come in and average 30 minutes a game right away)

Wait so are you saying that if Williams does play a lot, there will be no minutes available for them? Or if he doesn't play that will scare them away? Or what? Its all so confusing...
And I'm sure Boynton is scared about finding playing time...
By all accounts he's a guy who will get playing time right away no matter who's in front of him, lets be real here...

I mean I sorta agree, but aren't you fighting windmills at this point? I don't think anybody disagreed with specific places for putting players, just that K doesn't use positions.

Wow and I liked having Nolan around too. I guess I should enjoy next year while it lasts huh?

No you don't have to guess positions, we went with different looks last year, with McClure for instance playing everything between 5-3 at various points

Um, look, I don't like getting caught up in positional semantics, but when Smith and Paulus were both on the floor last year, Paulus played point

No most people have pointed out that it would be an unwise use of our resources as our guards look to be better than our bigs

Well yes this is because some of them are not going to deserve that many minutes because they are less talented than the other players! It happens, this isn't 3rd grade rec league.

Personally I like a little doom and gloom with my predictions, it sounds like Karl Rove.

CDu
05-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Playing time should be interesting next year.

PG Paulus and Smith 17 minutes each and Scheyer 6 minutes - depends on who the opponents PG is will dictate - Paulus is smarter but Smith is quicker and Scheyer gives that explosion right before half

There's no way Paulus only plays 17 mpg next year. He'll play at least 25 mpg, and probably closer to 28mpg.

SG Scheyer 18 minutes; Picous 11 minutes; and Williams 11 minutes - Scheyer is proven, Pocius needs to show he is recovered and Williams needs to prove himself

SF Henderson 30 minutes and Singular 10 - penetration gives way here but three point shooting will also be needed, they will need to pick and choose the time for each

This is very unrealistic. I'll be shocked if Scheyer plays only 24mpg next year. I'll also be surprised if we see TEN minutes per game from Singler at the "3" spot. I'll be surprised if we see more than two minutes per game from him at the "3" spot.

PF Singular 20 minutes; Thomas 10 Minutes and Plumlee 10 minutes - Singular's width helps here and Thomas is getting better but big improvement is needed for more time and Plumlees long arms will be good in help out situations. Once he learns when to time the help out he could block a lot of shots.

I think you'll see more minutes from Singler here (less at SF) and few minutes from Plumlee here.

Post Zo 12 minutes; Czyz 12 minutes; McClure 12 minutes and Thomas 4 minutes. Zo can hold himself against most post players and Czyz and McClure will body them up with some help out from the likes of Plumlee and Thomas.

Here's how I think it'll play out:

PG - Paulus (28), Smith (12)
SG - Scheyer (18), Smith (8), Williams/Pocius (14)
SF - Henderson (28), Scheyer (12)
PF - Singler (28), Henderson (2), Thomas/McClure (10)
C - Thomas (14), Singler, (2), Zoubek/Czyz/Plumlee (24)

We have a lot of bodies, but Coach K has always shown a preference for going with the best players the most (crazy concept, I know), not a balanced lineup. Until further notice, that means that Williams and Pocius are fighting for the last 15 minutes or so at guard, and McClure, Zoubek, Czyz, Plumlee, and Thomas are battling for a few minutes at PF and the minutes at C.

eddiehaskell
05-06-2008, 11:48 PM
As opposed to what? Doing something constructive with our time?Tell me about it...I should be studying for exams yet I'm reading speculation on next year's minutes distribution. :p :p

Matches
05-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Does anyone really think it's realistic to expect 10-12 guys all playing double-digit minutes? Has that EVER happened at Duke? The top 2-4 players on the team are all going to be playing at least 28-30 mpg, and maybe more. Even teams with deep benches want their horses in the game as much as possible without wearing them out.

The bench rotation will evolve as the year progresses, and by March it'll be whittled down to 8-9 players *at most*.