PDA

View Full Version : UNC DUKE WAKE next yr

houstondukie
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I predict UNC, DUKE, and WAKE will be the best teams by far in the ACC next year.

Just using players from those 3 teams, I compiled my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams and created a point system (the same used to determine the NBA MVP) to see who has the best team on paper.

First-Team
C-Tyler Hansbrough 6'9 245- SR UNC
PF-Kyle Singler 6'8 215- SO DUKE
SF-Gerald Henderson 6'5 210- JR DUKE
SG-Wayne Ellington 6'4 195- JR UNC
PG-Ty Lawson 5'11 195- JR UNC

Second-Team
C-Chas McFarland 7'0 235- JR WAKE
PF-James Johnson 6'8 215- SO WAKE
SF-Al-Farouq Aminu 6'9 215- FR WAKE
SG-Jeff Teague 6'2 185- SO WAKE
PG-Greg Paulus 6'2 200- SR DUKE

Third-Team
C-Lance Thomas 6'8 220- JR DUKE
PF-Deon Thompson 6'8 240- JR UNC
SF-Marcus Ginyard 6'5 200- SR UNC
SG-Jon Scheyer 6'5 185- JR DUKE
PG-Ishmael Smith 5'11 155- JR WAKE

POINT TOTAL (1st team = 3 points; 2nd team = 2 points; 3rd team = 1 point)

UNC 11
DUKE 10
WAKE 9

Not included in the scoring are the bench players. UNC has the best 6th man in Danny Green but both Duke (N. Smith) and Wake (L.D. Williams) have very good sixth men as well. All 3 teams have very deep benches:

(key reserves)
DUKE: N. Smith, B. Zoubek, E. Williams, D. McClure
UNC: D. Green, A. Stephenson, B. Frasor, E. Davis, L. Drew, T. Zeller
WAKE: L.D. Williams, J. Skeen, H. Hale, T. Woods, T. Walker

Edouble
05-05-2008, 10:20 PM
So the three teams were chosen based on your opinion of the players? Is it based on how you think these players will perform statistically, or their actual talent level on the court? I have some issues with your teams, but it's hard to argue with them when I don't know how you decided on them.

Ignatius07
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
So the three teams were chosen based on your opinion of the players? Is it based on how you think these players will perform statistically, or their actual talent level on the court? I have some issues with your teams, but it's hard to argue with them when I don't know how you decided on them.

Seconded, and why can't reserves be placed on the top three "teams"? For instance, Danny Green is obviously one of the top-15 players when pooling all three schools' players, yet that is not reflected. Similarly, having Lance Thomas be on the 3rd team is ridiculous when someone like Alex Stepheson would clearly start over him.

houstondukie
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM

I just don't see any other ACC team that will challenge DUKE, UNC, or WAKE for a top 3 finish. That is just my opinion. But clearly UNC, DUKE, and WAKE will be loaded next yr. with great talent.

Edouble
05-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I just don't see any other ACC team that will challenge DUKE, UNC, or WAKE for a top 3 finish. That is just my opinion. But clearly UNC, DUKE, and WAKE will be loaded next yr. with great talent.

I think that several ACC teams will at least challenge Duke, UNC, and Wake for the top 3 spots.

It seems like you should somehow include all the players that will actually be playing on the court (a fourth team for bench players?) in the point standings. For example, your system would have been pretty flawed in its evaluation of Duke this past year if Jon Scheyer was not included in the evaluation of the team. Depth can be a big strength for certain teams, but this system seems to sort of negate the benchs.

Classof06
05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm clearly no psychic but I'd be very surprised to see any ACC team finish in the top 3 besides UNC, Duke and Wake. If NC State got Hickson back, was able to keep their PG healthy and solved their chemistry issues then maybe. But that's a long shot to say the least.

I think Wake is going to be a very good team and I'm not sure people generally realize how good they have a chance to be.

davekay1971
05-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Miami getting back most of its talent next year? Duke and UNC are both, without doubt, going to be competing for top dog status in the conference, and Wake is going to be a very, very good team. But Miami may also be quite good next year (despite the fact that they sometimes play as stupidly as any team I can remember).

davekay1971
05-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Another question - anybody have a clear insight as to how good Clempsum is going to be?

Duvall
05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm clearly no psychic but I'd be very surprised to see any ACC team finish in the top 3 besides UNC, Duke and Wake. If NC State got Hickson back, was able to keep their PG healthy and solved their chemistry issues then maybe. But that's a long shot to say the least.

I think Wake is going to be a very good team and I'm not sure people generally realize how good they have a chance to be.

I wouldn't be surprised to VPISU make a bid for the top 3 - they've got a young team that came closer to beating UNC in March than any team other than the eventual national champions. I expect Miami and Clemson also to be solid.

ugadevil
05-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Is this point system similar to the Len Elmore point system of evaluating a player's importance?