PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Coach Badass!

kinghoops
05-05-2008, 06:35 PM
wral Tv Reported At 6pm That Nate James Would Be Named New Assistant Coach.

hc5duke
05-05-2008, 06:46 PM
hilarious title... gotta love the fact that "badass" passes the filter but the two words separately do not. :rolleyes:

chrishoke
05-05-2008, 06:48 PM
AWESOME!

http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2836552/

kinghoops
05-05-2008, 06:55 PM

excellent choice, i think nate will be a great asset to the staff, i know he will work hard with the kids. and he is a "badass"

BCGroup
05-05-2008, 06:56 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=james_will_be_named_new_duke_assis tant&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

TNDukeFan
05-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry not to know this - did the "Nate's a Bad---" chant start in '01? May I have some background?

El_Diablo
05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry not to know this - did the "Nate's a Bad---" chant start in '01? May I have some background?

No, the chant started in the delivery room when Nate punched his way out of his mother's womb and then slapped the doctor for not having his scotch waiting for him.

onepresent
05-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Anyone know of any other staff changes? Is anyone following Johnny to Stanford?

hc5duke
05-05-2008, 08:18 PM
No, the chant started in the delivery room when Nate punched his way out of his mother's womb and then slapped the doctor for not having his scotch waiting for him.

You're clearly mistaken. Nate James was never born. He always was.

TNDukeFan
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Okay, this is sounding like a Chuck Norris thread. I'm just trying to educate myself here, people.

tbyers11
05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Okay, this is sounding like a Chuck Norris thread. I'm just trying to educate myself here, people.

Yes, "Nate's a badass" was a common cheer for him during his playing days due to his "take no prisoners" on-court demeanor and general badassery

Newton_14
05-05-2008, 08:50 PM
This is great news! Nate is an excellent choice for numerous reasons. One of my all time favorite players. Exact opposite of "soft"! I think Nate will do a good job and he will definitely be able to relate to today's players. I hope he gets involved with recruiting! Great way to start the week.

TNDukeFan
05-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, "Nate's a badass" was a common cheer for him during his playing days due to his "take no prisoners" on-court demeanor and general badassery

Thanks, tbyers.

Lord Ash
05-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Awesome. Dunno if Nate has any experience/background in coaching, but a great addition to the team.

kramerbr
05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Awesome. Dunno if Nate has any experience/background in coaching, but a great addition to the team.

I believe he joined the staff as assistant strength and conditioning coach just this last January and before that he was playing overseas.

Mike Corey
05-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I believe he joined the staff as assistant strength and conditioning coach just this last January and before that he was playing overseas.

He has in fact been a strength and conditioning coach.

Our captain, o captain Mr. Nelson had this to say of James' impact back in February:

I think that he's been a great addition to our program and I think he’s going to be great. He’s another guy who played in the system, played under coach. He had a great career here, and he’s just another resource for wisdom, for learning, another guy we can grab for workouts when time permits. I think he’s going to do a great job.

hc5duke
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM

Sorry, I ignored the original question because I don't know for sure, but AFAIK, we had that cheer in the '99-'00 season as well. Before that, I have no clue.

moonpie23
05-05-2008, 09:36 PM
YAY.....let the badassing begin!!!!

jlear
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Exact opposite of "soft"!

I love that description of Coach Badass(CBA). Imagine having to answer to CBA after practicing soft.

How many days until practice starts?

heyman25
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Just my 2 cents, but Coach Badass rates right up there with Coach Cut.I will not join , I prefer to call him Nate James or Coach James.

Edouble
05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I ignored the original question because I don't know for sure, but AFAIK, we had that cheer in the '99-'00 season as well. Before that, I have no clue.

Yeah, I don't remember that cheer in '97-'98, and I believe that '98-'99 was the year he redshirted. I guess the cheer must have started in '99-'00.

msdukie
05-05-2008, 11:19 PM
He redshirted in 97-98 (when he apparently started honing his coaching skills, as was suggested at the time.) He has always been a bad pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!.

billybreen
05-05-2008, 11:49 PM
That's fantastic news. One of my Bassett Hall 96-97 boys is now an assistant coach. Awesome.

Cameron
05-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Just my 2 cents, but Coach Badass rates right up there with Coach Cut.I will not join , I prefer to call him Nate James or Coach James.

I'm with you. Sorry, but I am not going to refer to one our staff members by the name of "Coach Badass."

I think Coach James will be a wonderful addition and great for recruiting. A very good choice all around, IMO.

Scorp4me
05-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Big fan of Nate as a player and to replace Wojo or Collins I think he would have been a great choice. But to replace someone with the experience and maturity of Dawkins I would have liked to have seen us been a little more...I lack the word, but I'm apprehensive. But the choice has been made, I'm all for Nate now, and I'm sure it'll work out good. Even if I do continue to call him Nate or Coach James =)

mpj96
05-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Does anyone have the picture of Nate in the locker room after we won the championship his senior year? I think that would be an extremely appropriate picture for the front page.

When I saw that picture for the first time I thought to myself "this is character. this is what being a player is all about." More than any other that image solidified in my mind the journey the 2001 team took to win the championship.

Of course you were already here but, welcome home, Nate. This team will only be better because of your participation and leadership.

dukemomLA
05-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Go Nate!! Congrats. Let's give him his due as a hard-nosed player/defender. Bring it on!! We need some toughness -- and Nate brings that. Cool.

El_Diablo
05-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Big fan of Nate as a player and to replace Wojo or Collins I think he would have been a great choice. But to replace someone with the experience and maturity of Dawkins I would have liked to have seen us been a little more...I lack the word, but I'm apprehensive. But the choice has been made, I'm all for Nate now, and I'm sure it'll work out good. Even if I do continue to call him Nate or Coach James =)

Just like Elliot Williams cannot be expected to replace Demarcus Nelson by himself, Nate James is not "replacing" Johnny Dawkins per se, since he can't be expected to bring everything to the table (at this stage of his career) that Dawkins did as a coach. Collins and Wojo will take on more responsibility to cover the difference in level of experience.

Nate's energy and personality should help with recruiting...I really hope he gets heavily involved with it.

BlueDevilJay
05-06-2008, 07:54 AM
This is awesome and thanks to info I've obtained from you guys on here, I was able to call this about a week ago, telling my dad that Nate James would be the next assistant coach. My dad and uncle think I have some super secret inside source at Duke now. Thanks for all the information guys! Oh and I have to test the filter because I find the words it replaces with to be hilarious. So go get em Coach Bad pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!!!!

Saratoga2
05-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Just like Elliot Williams cannot be expected to replace Demarcus Nelson by himself, Nate James is not "replacing" Johnny Dawkins per se, since he can't be expected to bring everything to the table (at this stage of his career) that Dawkins did as a coach. Collins and Wojo will take on more responsibility to cover the difference in level of experience.

Nate's energy and personality should help with recruiting...I really hope he gets heavily involved with it.

Excellent selection with an intelligent guy who also knows basketball thoroughly. We will miss JD but Nate gives us a new perspective, which is needed from time to time.

markbdevil
05-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Nate picture.

whereinthehellami
05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Welcome Coach. Check out the intensity. Wasn't his father a drill sargent at one point? I think Nate is well grounded and fundamentally sound.

BluBones
05-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Nate picture.

I love having another coach who earned a ring as a player.

BluBones
05-06-2008, 09:11 AM
hilarious title... gotta love the fact that "badass" passes the filter but the two words separately do not. :rolleyes:

Even if it were blocked by default, it would be appropriate for DBR to remove badass from the blacklist. It's a word which has now entered the permanent Duke lexicon.

Lord Ash
05-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Welcome Coach. Check out the intensity. Wasn't his father a drill sargent at one point? I think Nate is well grounded and fundamentally sound.

Forget checking out the intensity; check out those guns!

Nate could TOTALLY take Chuck Norris.

ikiru36
05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Just trying to make out the band on his arm. Is that a W.W.J.D. or a W.W.J.D.D.? In either case, worthy role models, methinks!

Go Duke!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indoor66
05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Nate could TOTALLY take Chuck Norris.

Let's not go tooooooooooooooooooooo far! :D

Bluedawg
05-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Luciana Chavez is pretty thorough with stuff like this.

Nate James, a captain on the 2001 NCAA title-winning Duke men's basketball squad, will be named the new assistant coach for the Duke men's basketball team, four sources confirmed for The News & Observer on Monday.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1062423.html

Bluedawg
05-06-2008, 09:41 AM

This winter, James returned to the Duke program after being hired to oversee operations at the team's new practice facility.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1062423.html

Lord Ash
05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Could it possibly be W.W.J.J.D?

And Nate could TOTALLY take Chuck. Unless, of course, you are talking about a Bowflex competition; then it is a close one.

Jumbo
05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
This is great, great news. Nate is one of my all-time favorites, and I'm excited to have him on the bench. Does this mean Wino will return to the boards with his giant Nate avatar from the early part of the decade?

Finally, to the people who think it's somehow "wrong" to call him "Badass" -- get over it!

Bluedawg
05-06-2008, 09:47 AM

I'm with you. Sorry, but I am not going to refer to one our staff members by the name of "Coach Badass."

I think Coach James will be a wonderful addition and great for recruiting. A very good choice all around, IMO.

Glad to see others are joining in. During the coaching speculation thread I tried to nip that nickname in the bud but failed.

I still think it is very disrespectful to refer to a coach in that manner.

Stray Gator
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
This is great, great news. Nate is one of my all-time favorites, and I'm excited to have him on the bench. Does this mean Wino will return to the boards with his giant Nate avatar from the early part of the decade? ...

What's the over/under on how long it takes until someone starts a "Nate James Can't Coach" thread? ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Big fan of Nate as a player and to replace Wojo or Collins I think he would have been a great choice. But to replace someone with the experience and maturity of Dawkins I would have liked to have seen us been a little more...I lack the word, but I'm apprehensive.

Perhaps the word you are looking for is ... gravitas?

I think Nate "badass" James is a fine choice.

As the future AD, privately "Coach Badass" works for me, but I won't publicly use it in future (gosh, I hate being politically correct). Coach Cut, I will use.

Jumbo
05-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Uh, why? And it's okay to refer to player that way? Maybe the person with the nickname should get to decide whether he finds it "disrespectful." By all accounts, Nate loves it. Sheesh.

Jumbo
05-06-2008, 09:54 AM
What's the over/under on how long it takes until someone starts a "Nate James Can't Coach" thread? ;)

That, sir, is hilarious!

Edouble
05-06-2008, 10:03 AM
That's fantastic news. One of my Bassett Hall 96-97 boys is now an assistant coach. Awesome.

I appreciate the Bassett '96-'97 shout-out. I was there too, two doors down from the basketball players room.

RepoMan
05-06-2008, 11:13 AM

Perhaps we need to remind folks why, in fact, Nate is a badass. After all, there are some newer fans on this board.

lmb
05-06-2008, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=mpj96;144495]Does anyone have the picture of Nate in the locker room after we won the championship his senior year? I think that would be an extremely appropriate picture for the front page.

It's my all-time favorite Duke pic.

Classof06
05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I love the hire. This is a guy that knows what Duke is all about. I'm guessing he's the youngest coach on the staff which also helps the players because it hasn't been too long since Nate was in their shoes.

Most importantly, however, this is a guy that was a key piece of Duke's last championship team and as a fan, that speaks volumes. We all want Duke to get back to the mountain top and to hire a guy who was one of the last Blue Devils to do it is reassuring. Congrats to Nate.

Edouble
05-06-2008, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=mpj96;144495]Does anyone have the picture of Nate in the locker room after we won the championship his senior year? I think that would be an extremely appropriate picture for the front page.

Great picture of a guy that stuck it out twice... the first time when the injury bug hit him hard (I remember rumors going around that Nate was going to transfer when the Killer Bs class showed up when he was redshirting), and the second time when he lost his starting spot to a freshman a month before the end of his senior year. Although Battier and Williams were the stars of the 2001 NC team, it took amazing character and toughness for Nate to accept his role coming off of the bench, and I really doubt we would have won the whole thing if he'd taken the easy road and sulked about it.

davekay1971
05-06-2008, 04:19 PM

Laughing at that one...

So, who wins in a fight? Nate James or Chuck Norris? Do we need a poll here?

NYC Duke Fan
05-06-2008, 04:32 PM
I know nothing about Nate James as a coach or whether he can coach big men. If he can then it is a very good hire. I have read on previous threads that wasn't it time that Coach K hire a coach who can effectively teach big men, and that Wojo really wasn't the ideal coach to do this.

Incidentally, why is the Nate James hire , "awesome " ? Good choice possibly but , " awesome ". If Coach K had hired say Patrick Ewing to coach big men, then that would be , " awesome "

Chicago 1995
05-06-2008, 04:34 PM

THANKS!

This is one of my all time favorite pictures too, and I lost the copy I had of it when I lost a hard-drive a while back. Couldn't find it to replace it.

You've made my day!

tbyers11
05-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Does anyone have the picture of Nate in the locker room after we won the championship his senior year? I think that would be an extremely appropriate picture for the front page.

Thank you for this picture. I agree that it is my all-time favorite picture.

I had a copy on my old computer, but lost it when the hard drive crashed a few years ago. I've searched for it and have never been able to find it again.

ugadevil
05-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I know nothing about Nate James as a coach or whether he can coach big men. If he can then it is a very good hire. I have read on previous threads that wasn't it time that Coach K hire a coach who can effectively teach big men, and that Wojo really wasn't the ideal coach to do this.

Incidentally, why is the Nate James hire , "awesome " ? Good choice possibly but , " awesome ". If Coach K had hired say Patrick Ewing to coach big men, then that would be , " awesome "

This is assuming that what you read on previous threads is accurate.
You seem to be working off the premise that Nate was hired to coach the big men. There haven't been any reports indicating Coach K lacks confidence in Wojo's ability to coach big men.

tbyers11
05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
THANKS!

This is one of my all time favorite pictures too, and I lost the copy I had of it when I lost a hard-drive a while back. Couldn't find it to replace it.

You've made my day!

Thank you for this picture. I agree that it is my all-time favorite picture.

I had a copy on my old computer, but lost it when the hard drive crashed a few years ago. I've searched for it and have never been able to find it again.

That's spooky. I hope that Nate isn't so badass that he makes hard drives crash:)

camion
05-06-2008, 06:51 PM

I hear that Nate will be assigned to coach point guards... just to tick off the people who think only big can coach big.

I'm only joking. I really heard that we're waiting a year and plan to hire a big big big man coach, Kenny George from UNC-A. He's going to to coach them how to be 7' 7" and defend the lane. "Just stand there with you hands above the rim like I do."

Okay, that's not true either. Actually, we were going to offer Andre the Giant, but there was some problem with him being too close to Generalissimo Francisco Franco. :)

davekay1971
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Okay, that's not true either. Actually, we were going to offer Andre the Giant, but there was some problem with him being too close to Generalissimo Francisco Franco. :)

Not to mention, dead.

Though Fezzik's will live forever in our hearts...

kinghoops
05-06-2008, 09:05 PM
This is great, great news. Nate is one of my all-time favorites, and I'm excited to have him on the bench. Does this mean Wino will return to the boards with his giant Nate avatar from the early part of the decade?

Finally, to the people who think it's somehow "wrong" to call him "Badass" -- get over it!

jumbo, i totally agree with you, nate was a badass as a player, and i fully expect him to bring that badass attitude to the bench as our new assistant. and the prudes on here that thinks its wrong to call him coach badass, just think about the last two losses we have had in the ncaa torney, vcu out badassed us, west virginia outbadassed us, and as bad as i hate to admit this, to be a certian first round draft pick, to jump in a 4 foot pool from a balcony, although silly is badass, so let the badassing begin!!!!

SMO
05-06-2008, 09:17 PM

You're absolutely right, and I'm sure Nate James can't recruit any good big men!

At the risk of sounding overly optimistic about his hire, I think it's kinda awesome. Maybe not totally awesome, but a little awesome at least.

I eagerly await the debate whether my characterization of this hire as "kinda awesome" is appropriate. Ahhh, the offseason debates.

moonpie23
05-06-2008, 09:21 PM
You're absolutely right, and I'm sure Nate James can't recruit any good big men!

At the risk of sounding overly optimistic about his hire, I think it's kinda awesome. Maybe not totally awesome, but a little awesome at least.

I eagerly await the debate whether my characterization of this hire as "kinda awesome" is appropriate. Ahhh, the offseason debates.

"awesome"? as in, the milky way galaxy is "awesome", or...the power of the atom is "awesome"?

or more like... "awesome" hot dogs, 2 for a $ ?

i'm just trying to get a handle on it...

Cameron
05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Bonner: They're really playing with a toughness out there today, partner.

Enberg: Coach Badass Oh My, bringing the intensity and badassness to Durham. We'll be right back.

I'm neither prude nor a previous badass Nate James chanter. I loved Nate and the incredible will he brought to our championship club in '01. He was a rock. And I am so happy that he is going to be bringing that mentality to the Duke staff, alongside three other guys who thrive off that type of intensity as well. Nate will be an excellent addition, but in a fresh new way. I think it's great.

However, the nickname in reference to one of our coaches just sounds ridiculous. That's merely my opinion, however, so don't think that I am condemning any of you. If you like it, then great. Proceed with it.

But, if you are one who thinks that it would sound very juvenile for a nationally televised announcer to proclaim the nickname in front of America, then stop using it. I for one am one of those people. What if our head coach, Mike Krzyzewski, was nicknamed "Coach Hardass" or "Coach Kickass"?

That would be very disrespectful, as bluedawg pointed out.

brevity
05-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Aside from his introduction at his first home game this fall, are there really any opportunities for the Crazies to start a "Nate's a badass" chant? It's not like the assistant coaches can do anything during a game that make the fans take notice (short of joining in a brawl, which is not cheer-worthy).

ikiru36
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Not to mention, dead.

Though Fezzik's will live forever in our hearts...

I believe he's just been "mostly dead (all day)"

R.I.P. Andre.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!