PDA

View Full Version : Commonly held (mis?)conception

91.92.01DUKE
05-04-2008, 07:33 PM
I have several friends who root for UNC and justify this by claiming that Duke is an elitist school that gets every call. They refuse to acknowledge that a team that goes 28-6 does not suck. They say that all the wins were caused by cheating, getting ridiculous calls, or paying the other team. Now the first and last are clearly untrue, but does Duke really get the preponderance of refereeing breaks?

91.92.01DUKE
05-04-2008, 07:38 PM
What I mean by "of any kind" is extra help, undeserved help.

davekay1971
05-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Not sure how to link to it, and maybe the DBR mods/greybeards can help, but I seem to remember an absolutely fantastic breakdown on DBR a couple years back looking at disparity of calls for ACC programs, and comparing it to winning percentage. It was a very nice statistical look that used (hold your breath) evidence to completely debunk the "Duke gets all the calls" myth. If I remember correctly, by the statistics used in that article, Wake actually gets all the calls.

BCGroup
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Located here:
http://snrub.com/dbr/

captmojo
05-04-2008, 07:51 PM
If I remember correctly, by the statistics used in that article, Wake actually gets all the calls.

This certainly seemed to hold true against the Blue Devils this past season.

Jim3k
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I understand that you are new to the DBR. Discussions of this type of information is generally understood as beaten to death. Above, you have been given a link to a discussion which definitively deals with the issue.

I think a poll on this issue is simply unworthy. I doubt if many will participate.

I'd suggest reading the DBR for a while to get an understanding of the culture. The Dead Horse stuff may be found in a sticky at the top of this Board. You will find it helpful with regard to repetitive themes, of which your poll is one.

Otherwise, welcome to the Board. New faces are welcome but need to understand that this Board has a very civil culture. People here are quick to jump on trolls, or accuse one of trolling, where newcomers seek to create controversy where none exists. The 'Duke gets all the calls' is worthy of troll consideration as possibly antagonistic. In any event, until an incident occurs, it's a discussion with no purpose.

Newton_14
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
This is something that irritates me to no end. The thing that bothers me the most is when the media tosses it out there for debate (such as game announcers, print media, etc). By bringing it up in a newspaper article or during a game the media gives it merit, when clearly there is none. It is something that is so outrageous, it should never even be brought up. For it to be true, it would have to mean that multiple officials inside the ACC and outside the ACC would have to conspire to make it happen. Does anyone in the Duke family or outside the Duke family possibly believe such a conspiracy could be pulled off without someone "spilling the beans"? No way. Not possible. And given that we have become far and away the most hated team in the NCAA, why would anyone want to conspire in our favor to begin with??

On a local radio show last year, about 2/3's thru the schedule the host had gone thru the ACC stats and found that Scheyer was top 10 or something in minutes played but had far and away the least amount of fouls among players with similar minutes. The host stated that was "clear evidence" that favoritism was being shown. Umm,could it be that Jon plays solid defense without fouling a lot??