PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Coach Cut's visit to Charlotte

devilirium
05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
The Velvet Voice aka Bob Harris was interviewed this morning on 850 the Buzz. Bob said that Cut had an interesting tactic in Charlotte. Said that he asked members of the audience to raise their hands if they were Iron Dukes. Then he asked members of the audience if they were season ticket holders. When he noticed the disparity, he said something to the effect that is going to have to change starting now. Said that 53 people reserved season tickets that nite. Also said that Coach was scheduling a meeting in Knoxville and that Duke had already received 100 season ticket orders from Knoxville alone prior to the meeting. Not only that, but buses would be chartered from Knoxville to a game (season opener?).

Postscript: Per Coach Cut, Wake Forest has something like 17,500 season ticket holders. Duke has currently somewhere between 3 K to 4 K.

Certainly, if on field performance reflects the improvement that Coach Cut is demanding then that gap could certainly close.

Ignatius07
05-04-2008, 12:46 PM
The strong Knoxville contingent surprises me. At the risk of asking a stupid question, are those season ticket purchasers Cutcliffe fans from his UT days or is there much of a Duke base in the Knoxville area (I wouldn't think so)?

davekay1971
05-04-2008, 01:16 PM
The strong Knoxville contingent surprises me. At the risk of asking a stupid question, are those season ticket purchasers Cutcliffe fans from his UT days or is there much of a Duke base in the Knoxville area (I wouldn't think so)?

It may be some of both, but I suspect it's mainly UT fans who have an affection for Cutcliffe. A friend of mine, who's a through-and-through Big Orange fan has actually taken a strong interest in the fortunes of Duke Football entirely because of his respect for Cutcliffe. In UT country, I the feeling is that Duke got a very, very good coach.

devilirium
05-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Funny, that was the exact question that I pondered...Bob didn't elaborate (and perhaps that was for the best :O)) but he said that a bulk of those tickets would probably be donated to the Ticket Office. I would imagine that it may be a slight mixture of both. I checked his rubber chicken circuit schedule, and he is going to Knoxville the day after his Wilmington trip. He is also going to Wilson, Greensboro, Richmond, and Atlanta if memory serves me correctly.

My older brother, who is a Varsity Club member, promptly bought a family pass on the spot (and per custom he receives 2 free season tickets per year). He said that Cutcliffe was a helluva speaker, and he was mesmerizing some potential future recruits in the crowd.

jjasper0729
05-04-2008, 01:54 PM
It may be some of both, but I suspect it's mainly UT fans who have an affection for Cutcliffe. A friend of mine, who's a through-and-through Big Orange fan has actually taken a strong interest in the fortunes of Duke Football entirely because of his respect for Cutcliffe. In UT country, I the feeling is that Duke got a very, very good coach.

I think it's actually a mixed bag unfortunately. My father-in-law and his family are BIG orange fans and were glad to see Cutcliffe come to Duke, not because they were big fans of his, but because they werent so glad when he was brought back to UT.

DevilHorse
05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Just for general consumption.

As of the draft last weekend, Coach Cutcliffe has been getting some positive background mention in the NY/NJ area. Tennessee Quarterback Erik Ainge was taken by the New York Jets and every other reference to Ainge carries a reference to Coach Cut. I heard the mention on the Mike and the Mad dog radio show, and note it at the begining of this article in the Newark Star-Ledger.
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/05/the_argument_for_ainge.html

Perhaps not a bad time to recruit in the NY/NJ area...

Larry
Devilhorse

davekay1971
05-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I think it's actually a mixed bag unfortunately. My father-in-law and his family are BIG orange fans and were glad to see Cutcliffe come to Duke, not because they were big fans of his, but because they werent so glad when he was brought back to UT.

I guess everyone's entitled to different takes. I'd be interested to hear what specific problems some UT fans may have had with Cut. He did a pretty good job with the QBs at UT, and my impression was that the general consensus was that he got run out of the Miss job mainly because he didn't kiss the right booster-butts... People more in the know with the UT world would certainly know more about those around Knoxville think of the man than I do.

Bluedawg
05-04-2008, 06:15 PM
In UT country, I the feeling is that Duke got a very, very good coach.

In Duke country we also feel like we got a "very, very good coach."

davekay1971
05-04-2008, 07:45 PM
In Duke country we also feel like we got a "very, very good coach."

Probably my poor typing led to the misperception I was speaking from UT country. I'm happily living in NC, very much in...well, realistically, Tarhole country... But I'm a well entrenched Duke insurgent in Tarhole country, who also happens to think that Cut is a great hire.

Uncle Drew
05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Frankly I didn't know enough about the prospective coaches to know who was the best candidates at the time. But the more I read and hear I think Duke may have made a bloody good hire for foofball coach.

That beimg said when you're at rock bottom it will still take time and patience just to get out of the present hole Duke has been in for 15+ years and regain their football dignity. After all this time I'm curious about this statement....." consensus was that he got run out of the Miss job mainly because he didn't kiss the right booster-butts...". Does Duke have boosters still alive and do they even have butts?

Bluedawg
05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Probably my poor typing led to the misperception I was speaking from UT country. I'm happily living in NC, very much in...well, realistically, Tarhole country... But I'm a well entrenched Duke insurgent in Tarhole country, who also happens to think that Cut is a great hire.

I was simply trying to extend your comment.

Bluedawg
05-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Frankly I didn't know enough about the prospective coaches to know who was the best candidates at the time. But the more I read and hear I think Duke may have made a bloody good hire for foofball coach.

That beimg said when you're at rock bottom it will still take time and patience just to get out of the present hole Duke has been in for 15+ years and regain their football dignity. After all this time I'm curious about this statement....." consensus was that he got run out of the Miss job mainly because he didn't kiss the right booster-butts...". Does Duke have boosters still alive and do they even have butts?

Trust me...they do!

gep
05-04-2008, 11:34 PM
That beimg said when you're at rock bottom it will still take time and patience just to get out of the present hole Duke has been in for 15+ years and regain their football dignity.

Well... Hawaii was in a 3-year slump (5-31), with an 18-game losing streak when June Jones took over. That first season, Hawaii went 9-4, shared the conference title, and went to a bowl game and won. Granted, most of the players in that first year were seniors, but the turn-around was still remarkable. I thought Ted Roof would at least head toward that direction, but his apparent lack of head coaching experience doomed that hope. With Coach Cut, I'm again very hopeful Duke can have a turn-around season. I don't know much about the players on the team, but like others have said, Coach Cut looks like to be a great hire... with good head-coaching experience, which I assume helps a bunch. Also, I have been, am, and will continue to be patient... but like others, I'm very optimistic now with Coach Cut :D

Devil07
05-05-2008, 11:31 AM
After all this time I'm curious about this statement....." consensus was that he got run out of the Miss job mainly because he didn't kiss the right booster-butts...". Does Duke have boosters still alive and do they even have butts?

The impression I get is that influential boosters and people in the athletics department wanted Coach Cut to make changes to his program, ie fire some coaches. He was loyal to his staff and as a result was forced out. However, I don't think that there will be a similar issue at Duke. While we do have boosters, the level of expectations for the football team is nowhere near as (unreasonably) high as it as at Ole Miss. I get the feeling that the administration and the boosters have decided to hire someone who knows what they are doing and let him do his job. The people at Ole Miss did not have that kind of patience (they have very unrealistic expectations of greatness in my opinion). I imagine that Coach Cut will find that those with influence at Duke will be much less hands-on than he experienced previously. Also, I would guess that his last experience taught him a great deal about how to properly manage the egos of those with influence while still maintaining control. I really can see him building something good here, and I'm actually excited for football season to start.

wilson
05-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Well... Hawaii was in a 3-year slump (5-31), with an 18-game losing streak when June Jones took over. That first season, Hawaii went 9-4, shared the conference title, and went to a bowl game and won. Granted, most of the players in that first year were seniors, but the turn-around was still remarkable. I thought Ted Roof would at least head toward that direction, but his apparent lack of head coaching experience doomed that hope. With Coach Cut, I'm again very hopeful Duke can have a turn-around season. I don't know much about the players on the team, but like others have said, Coach Cut looks like to be a great hire... with good head-coaching experience, which I assume helps a bunch. Also, I have been, am, and will continue to be patient... but like others, I'm very optimistic now with Coach Cut :D

Lou Holtz's second season at USC was a similar turnaround (granted, he went winless in his first campaign there...).

asbcheeks
05-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Just for general consumption.

As of the draft last weekend, Coach Cutcliffe has been getting some positive background mention in the NY/NJ area. Tennessee Quarterback Erik Ainge was taken by the New York Jets and every other reference to Ainge carries a reference to Coach Cut. I heard the mention on the Mike and the Mad dog radio show, and note it at the begining of this article in the Newark Star-Ledger.
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/05/the_argument_for_ainge.html

Perhaps not a bad time to recruit in the NY/NJ area...

Larry
Devilhorse

More Cut pub in Jets-land: http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets045673515may04,0,1030350.story

Exciting stuff for this Jets fan. Would love to see Ainge get a real shot at the starter's job at some point.

sagegrouse
05-05-2008, 12:14 PM
The impression I get is that influential boosters and people in the athletics department wanted Coach Cut to make changes to his program, ie fire some coaches. He was loyal to his staff and as a result was forced out. However, I don't think that there will be a similar issue at Duke. While we do have boosters, the level of expectations for the football team is nowhere near as (unreasonably) high as it as at Ole Miss. I get the feeling that the administration and the boosters have decided to hire someone who knows what they are doing and let him do his job. The people at Ole Miss did not have that kind of patience (they have very unrealistic expectations of greatness in my opinion). I imagine that Coach Cut will find that those with influence at Duke will be much less hands-on than he experienced previously. Also, I would guess that his last experience taught him a great deal about how to properly manage the egos of those with influence while still maintaining control. I really can see him building something good here, and I'm actually excited for football season to start.

If Cut wins 3-4 games a year, he has a lot of job security.

sagegrouse

formerdukeathlete
05-05-2008, 12:45 PM
............ While we do have boosters, the level of expectations for the football team is nowhere near as (unreasonably) high as it as at Ole Miss. I get the feeling that the administration and the boosters have decided to hire someone who knows what they are doing and let him do his job. ..........I imagine that Coach Cut will find that those with influence at Duke will be much less hands-on than he experienced previously. .......

Of hiring a known, accomplished coach, which Duke admns. might not have anticipated is that Cut is recruiting fewer kids who would have to be academic exceptions.

Correct me if I am wrong re the above, but it seems to me that Cut is (a) either confident enough that he can make a good college ball player out of a 90 plus percentile SAT prospect, (b) better able to attract among the qualified (higher SAT) pool because of his big time reputation, (c) he is taking this as part of his mandate (to recruit better student players) for Duke, or (d) all of the above.

Roof kept asking for more exceptions, the removal of target average qualifications.

Then, some at Duke may have been concerned that to go bigger time in Football (a big time coach) would require allowing more of these to keep Duke in the running, re a return on its investment, or to keep such a big time coach happy.

Duke went ahead and hired a big-time coach. And, surprise, surprise, he is targeting better student players, based on who he went out and added to the incoming class and who are the prospects so far this year for the 2009 class.

Cut gets it. Duke will see winning seasons. A win, win for Duke.

Uncle Drew
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM

After reading Devils post, I started to wonder why Ole Miss would have high expectations. I mean I knew they are SEC and Eli Manning Played for them a few years back. But other than being decent or actually good those Eli years I couldn't remember them being all that, at least not to the point to force out a highly recomended coach. So I pulled up the Ole Miss football site and here is their records from 2006-1991.

2006 4-8
2005 3-8
2004 4-7
2003 10-3 Eli's last year
2002 7-6
2001 7-4
2000 7-5
1999 8-4
1998 7-5
1997 8-4
1996 5-6
1995 6-5
1994 4-7
1993 6-5
1992 9-3
1991 5-6

The 2007 year wasn't listed and someone else can fill in what years Coach Cut was there because I couldn't tell you. But that's 9 winning seasons out of fifteen, whether they played in bowls those years I don't know. But at the site I saw where Ole Miss has won two national championships in football (and I don't think these were Helms titles either) before I was ever born. So Ole Miss does have tradition that is greater than Dukes and a person doesn't have to go back quite as far as with Duke to find it. After the post Spurier era, I for one would be content with the next fifteen looking like those records. Of course with winning it breeds expectations and if Coach Cut is successful someone, somewhere is going to be craying he hasn't taken them to the next level. :rolleyes:

drjcs3
05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I am a lifelong Blue Devil fan and a grad of UT. I saw Coach Cutcliffe in action during his first stint at UT, was happy when he returned and overjoyed when he came to Duke. For any of you who wonder if things will improve, they will. He is a great offensive mind and can recruit too. I am also one of those non-Iron Dukes who is a recent season ticket purchaser. Actually, I bought on the day his hiring was announced. Look forward to more exciting football in WW Stadium. With David Cutcliffe, the days of offensive displays are here again.:)

Bluedawg
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
After reading Devils post, I started to wonder why Ole Miss would have high expectations. I mean I knew they are SEC and Eli Manning Played for them a few years back. But other than being decent or actually good those Eli years I couldn't remember them being all that, at least not to the point to force out a highly recomended coach. So I pulled up the Ole Miss football site and here is their records from 2006-1991.

2006 4-8
2005 3-8
2004 4-7
2003 10-3 Eli's last year
2002 7-6
2001 7-4
2000 7-5
1999 8-4
1998 7-5
1997 8-4
1996 5-6
1995 6-5
1994 4-7
1993 6-5
1992 9-3
1991 5-6

The 2007 year wasn't listed and someone else can fill in what years Coach Cut was there because I couldn't tell you. But that's 9 winning seasons out of fifteen, whether they played in bowls those years I don't know. But at the site I saw where Ole Miss has won two national championships in football (and I don't think these were Helms titles either) before I was ever born. So Ole Miss does have tradition that is greater than Dukes and a person doesn't have to go back quite as far as with Duke to find it. After the post Spurier era, I for one would be content with the next fifteen looking like those records. Of course with winning it breeds expectations and if Coach Cut is successful someone, somewhere is going to be craying he hasn't taken them to the next level. :rolleyes:

Head Coaching Record (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cutcliffe#Head_Coaching)

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl Coaches# AP°
Ole Miss Rebels (SEC) (1998 – 2004)
1998* Ole Miss 1–0* 0–0* W Independence
1999 Ole Miss 8–4 4-4 3rd (West) W Independence 22 22
2000 Ole Miss 5-Jul 4-Apr 3rd (West) L Music City
2001 Ole Miss 7–4 4–4 5th (West)
2002 Ole Miss 7-6 3-5 4th (West) W Independence
2003 Ole Miss 10-3 7-1 2nd (West) W Cotton 14 13
2004 Ole Miss 7-Apr 5-Mar T-3rd (West)
Ole Miss: 44–29 25-23 *hired and coached last game of 1998, the Independence Bowl.

OldPhiKap
05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I am a lifelong Blue Devil fan and a grad of UT. I saw Coach Cutcliffe in action during his first stint at UT, was happy when he returned and overjoyed when he came to Duke. For any of you who wonder if things will improve, they will. He is a great offensive mind and can recruit too. I am also one of those non-Iron Dukes who is a recent season ticket purchaser. Actually, I bought on the day his hiring was announced. Look forward to more exciting football in WW Stadium. With David Cutcliffe, the days of offensive displays are here again.:)

I live in SEC country these days, and have talked to a lot of UT guys. There are two general camps. First are those who hate to see him go, and think he will do a really good job at Duke. Second are those who are glad to see him go, because they want Fulmer fired and Cut was what propped him up the last few years.

Either way, good news for us.

Every interview or quote I have seen from Coach Cut inspires confidence in the future -- near term as well as long term. He has already generated more buzz about our football program than we have had in twenty years.

Give 'em hell, coach!!!! CTH,C!!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I live in SEC country these days, and have talked to a lot of UT guys. There are two general camps. First are those who hate to see him go, and think he will do a really good job at Duke. Second are those who are glad to see him go, because they want Fulmer fired and Cut was what propped him up the last few years.

Either way, good news for us.

Every interview or quote I have seen from Coach Cut inspires confidence in the future -- near term as well as long term. He has already generated more buzz about our football program than we have had in twenty years.

Give 'em hell, coach!!!! CTH,C!!!!!

I've had an opportunity to hear him speak several times and will do so again this coming Thursday evening. This man knows what it takes to win with class. Those of us who have already purchased our tickets for the coming season are investing in in a football program which is now led by one of the best people to come to Duke in YEARS.

devilirium
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Johnny Vaught won two NC's for Ole Miss in the early 60's, I believe. They were very tough for a number of years in the mid 50's to mid 60's.

OldPhiKap
05-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Johnny Vaught won two NC's for Ole Miss in the early 60's, I believe. They were very tough for a number of years in the mid 50's to mid 60's.

^ So was Duke. It was a different era.