PDA

View Full Version : Z?

DukieInBrasil
05-04-2008, 09:43 AM
anybody got word on when Z might be getting medical approval to begin using his foot again? I remember that they were saying 10-12 weeks originally, but i can´t remembe when that was. Hope Z comes back as quick as possible, cuz he could mos def use all that extra time to get stronger and work on post moves.

Bob Green
05-04-2008, 04:31 PM
His surgery was on April 4, 2008. A full 12 weeks would have him back at the beginning of July:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1435729

Bluedawg
05-04-2008, 06:36 PM
His surgery was on April 4, 2008. A full 12 weeks would have him back at the beginning of July:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1435729

Would that still let him participate in the camps he wanted to attend?

roywhite
05-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Would that still let him participate in the camps he wanted to attend?

http://www.petenewellbigmancamp.net/

Don't know for sure what camps Zoubs was planning to attend, but the Pete Newell Big Mans Camp is one of the best known. It's scheduled for August 4-8; that should work okay for Zoubs if his recovery is good.

Bluedawg
05-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Don't know for sure what camps Zoubs was planning to attend, but the Pete Newell Big Mans Camp is one of the best known. It's scheduled for August 4-8; that should work okay for Zoubs if his recovery is good.

I think that is the one I read he wanted to attend. Jim, Jumbo, or Bob could confirm that.

Bob Green
05-04-2008, 11:26 PM
I think that is the one I read he wanted to attend. Jim, Jumbo, or Bob could confirm that.

I don't have a clue what Brian Zoubek's summer plans are. Sorry!

-jk
05-04-2008, 11:47 PM

Well, I certainly hope he isn't planning to go there! Newell can't be over 6 feet tall. And he didn't play in the league.

Everyone knows you need an experienced big man to coach big men with any relevancy.

:rolleyes:

(Sorry. Couldn't help myself.)

-jk

Jim3k
05-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Well, I certainly hope he isn't planning to go there! Newell can't be over 6 feet tall. And he didn't play in the league.

Everyone knows you need an experienced big man to coach big men with any relevancy.

:rolleyes:

(Sorry. Couldn't help myself.)

-jk

You forgot the most important thing. Newell's lost all his moves because he is 92 years old! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Newell). ;)

Even so, I hope I am as active as he is when I reach that target.

MChambers
05-05-2008, 08:01 AM
1. Pete Gaudet is one of the coaches with the Newell big man camp.

2. Pete Newell, Jr. has an amazing beard.

mddukefan
05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
I would love to see Zoubek be healthy enough to attend some big man camps this summer. Playing against players his own size would really help him. Someitmes you cna pick moves or tips from guys your own size. There is only so much you can get out of being guarded by 6'8" SF/PF in practice. Nothing against Lance and Kyle but they aren't going to be able to simulate guys like Hansbrough, Dickey (GT), Hickson (if he's back) in the summer.

Zoubek reminds me a lot of Luke Schenser (spelling?) from Georgia Tech. Both are taller but not overpowering big men. Neither has a huge vertical either. If anyone remembers, Schenser attended either Pete Newell's (or some other) Big man camp after his sophomore year and really improved as a Junior and Senior. That was when he played a big part in the Championship game run Tech had in 2004. I think Brian could develop into a similar player as Luke did.

DukieInBrasil
05-09-2008, 08:54 PM
well, in response to the above post. Things have changed a little bit now that Duke has landed 6´10 Plumlee. He is not quite as big as Z but he is bigger than anyone else on the roster, and should therefore be a more valuable practice opponent for the development of both Z and MP. The addition of MP also allows for other players to practice against players more to their size. Consider, now Singler can go up against either Czyz or LT, all three are roughly the same size and McClure can use his "old man" wiles in practice against any one of those 3. Dave is in the 6´6 range while KS, OC and LT are all in the 6´8-9 range, plus his injured knees will keep him from being as quick as any of the other 3, but wily has got to count for something.

I looked for it in the other threads but i couldnt find it, a comment that LT had gotten "so much better" over the last year. Well, LT took on a different role last year than in his Fr. year, so it may not be entirely accurate to simply compare numbers but what the numbers do indicate is that LT did not improve very much at all, and in some respects went backwards. His mpg went up by about 20% and his rpg went up by nearly 33%, indeed an improvement. However, his scoring went up by less than 10% combined with his FG and FT% both went down. Now, why his scoring increase was unable to keep pace with his PT increase is a fine point to debate in the improvement dialog. It should be pretty obvious that reduced FG and FT%s indicate a lack of improvement.

kramerbr
05-09-2008, 09:30 PM
well, in response to the above post. Things have changed a little bit now that Duke has landed 6´10 Plumlee. He is not quite as big as Z but he is bigger than anyone else on the roster, and should therefore be a more valuable practice opponent for the development of both Z and MP. The addition of MP also allows for other players to practice against players more to their size. Consider, now Singler can go up against either Czyz or LT, all three are roughly the same size and McClure can use his "old man" wiles in practice against any one of those 3. Dave is in the 6´6 range while KS, OC and LT are all in the 6´8-9 range, plus his injured knees will keep him from being as quick as any of the other 3, but wily has got to count for something.

I looked for it in the other threads but i couldnt find it, a comment that LT had gotten "so much better" over the last year. Well, LT took on a different role last year than in his Fr. year, so it may not be entirely accurate to simply compare numbers but what the numbers do indicate is that LT did not improve very much at all, and in some respects went backwards. His mpg went up by about 20% and his rpg went up by nearly 33%, indeed an improvement. However, his scoring went up by less than 10% combined with his FG and FT% both went down. Now, why his scoring increase was unable to keep pace with his PT increase is a fine point to debate in the improvement dialog. It should be pretty obvious that reduced FG and FT%s indicate a lack of improvement.

I think his scoring going up less than 10% is in correlation to how many scores Duke had on their roster. They didn't need LT to score and this will most likely continue next year.

Uncle Drew
05-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Zoubek I'm glad to report is fine and well and way ahead of schedule. In fact I saw him jumping off a balcony into a pool surrounded by a crowd of crazied drunken students.

Now is it just me or does EVERYTHING about that statement go contrary to Duke and any players that I know we have had? Hopefully the only pool Zoubek gets in for quite a while is a physical therapy pool.

topps coach
05-09-2008, 11:51 PM
No one ever takes into consideration that both Z and LT are very young for their classes. For example hansboro was older than these two when he was a freshman. I am not saying that they are as good as TH but big men often times takes longer to grow into their bodies and if u do not think that a two year age difference does not make a huge difference u r sadly mistaken. IMO we willsee why these two were highly sought after in high school

ikiru36
05-10-2008, 12:40 AM
No one ever takes into consideration that both Z and LT are very young for their classes. For example hansboro was older than these two when he was a freshman. I am not saying that they are as good as TH but big men often times takes longer to grow into their bodies and if u do not think that a two year age difference does not make a huge difference u r sadly mistaken. IMO we willsee why these two were highly sought after in high school

Thanks Topps. As I've pointed out previously, only in the last month have LT and BZ reached the chronological age of Hansborough when he played his first college game. This doesn't prove that they are due for major improvement, but it is an important reminder that they do perhaps have far greater potential for improvement (especially being big men) than the average rising junior.

Go Brian!!!!! Go Lance!!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edouble
05-10-2008, 01:24 AM

I'm not so sure he improved any either, but I don't think he regressed. We needed his rebounding more than his scoring and that's what we got, I guess. I could have done with a few more rebounds, especially with Z injured. I'm still waiting for us to somehow employ his quickness around the basket, like posting him up 7-8 feet away from the basket and giving him room to work, if he can just keep from traveling.