PDA

View Full Version : Tudor's projection

Olympic Fan
05-03-2008, 02:25 PM
The 2008-09 ACC preview that the DBR linked is a fun read and is as valid as any of the predictions we've made on this board. Caulton Tudor is a veteran sports writer and he's usually interesting.

I certainly won't dispute any of his projected rankings, they seem pretty close to what I'd call "Conventional wisdom"

However, I was surprised to see at least two factual slips from a professional sports writer. I'm not talking about the suggestion that Iman Shumpert is "a poor man's Javaris Crittendon" -- I know it bothered DBR, but both are big guards who score well and can play the point. I think Crittendon is quicker and more of a natural playmaker than Shumpert, while the newcomer is a better spot up shooter. Still, not an unreasonable comparison.

But how does Tudor come off calling Ed Davis "a perimeter recruit" noted as "an accurate shooter"? Davis is the kind of player so many Duke fans want -- a powerful low-post banger. Certainly not a perimeter player. And while he might have a high FG percentage, that's a function of his skill around the basket.

I guess you can debate whether Larry Drew is also "an accurate shooter" -- personally, I don't think that's a strength of his game.

My other objection was his projection of FSU -- does he really expect Hamilton to start a frontline of Echefu, Reid and Alabi? He lists the 7-1, 250-pound Alabi as a forward, which is just a minor mistake, but he wonders where the scoring will come other than Douglas ... which is a fair question if you think Hamilton will start three post players. But wouldn't it help to mention Chris Singleton a McDonald's All-American forward with great offensive skills? With Alabi and Echefu inside, Singleton and Luke Loucks (who does have a reputation as an accurate shooter) on the wings and Douglas at the point (or maybe Kitchen at the point and Douglas on the wings), that looks like a pretty balanced offensive attack.

I have a few more quibbles, but those would be more along the lines of differences in opinions (he really thinks Purnell's response to getting smaller is to throw out his fullcourt pressure game and play a half-court defense?; he thinks BC will start a frontline of 6-7 Roche, 6-7 Trapani and 6-4 Sanders ... what about 6-10, 255 Josh Southern, who started down the stretch this past season?)

Bob Green
05-03-2008, 07:04 PM
I certainly won't dispute any of his projected rankings, they seem pretty close to what I'd call "Conventional wisdom"

Tudor's projected rankings raise at least one question worth discussing. Will Clemson fall to the middle of the pack in 2008/09 after finishing third in 2007/08? Tudor projects a sixth place finish for the Tigers. IMO, Oliver Purnell has established himself as a talented coach and he will overcome the loss of Cliff Hammonds and James Mays. Clemson returns a solid core of talented players: K.C. Rivers was their leading scorer at 14.7 ppg, Trevor Booker is a solid frontcourt player who averaged 11 ppg, Terrence Oglesby is a pure shooter who added 10.5 ppg and made 40.3% of his 3-point attempts, and Demontez Stitt averaged 8.8 points per game. Additionally, David Potter and Raymond Sykes both averaged double digit minutes off the bench last season and Clemson has signed four freshmen in the Class of 2008. I expect Clemson to be a tough team that finishes in the top third of the league standings and returns to the NCAA Tournament next March.

CDu
05-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Tudor's projected rankings raise at least one question worth discussing. Will Clemson fall to the middle of the pack in 2008/09 after finishing third in 2007/08? Tudor projects a sixth place finish for the Tigers. IMO, Oliver Purnell has established himself as a talented coach and he will overcome the loss of Cliff Hammonds and James Mays. Clemson returns a solid core of talented players: K.C. Rivers was their leading scorer at 14.7 ppg, Trevor Booker is a solid frontcourt player who averaged 11 ppg, Terrence Oglesby is a pure shooter who added 10.5 ppg and made 40.3% of his 3-point attempts, and Demontez Stitt averaged 8.8 points per game. Additionally, David Potter and Raymond Sykes both averaged double digit minutes off the bench last season and Clemson has signed four freshmen in the Class of 2008. I expect Clemson to be a tough team that finishes in the top third of the league standings and returns to the NCAA Tournament next March.

I agree. I think Clemson will be strong again next year. They may not be quite as good as last year, but they'll still be pretty darn good.

Ignatius07
05-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I agree. I think Clemson will be strong again next year. They may not be quite as good as last year, but they'll still be pretty darn good.

Agreed - I think Booker can really shine next year. And it would be difficult for them not to achieve more success in the NCAAs than this year. I actually had them in the Final Four :eek: