PDA

View Full Version : Obama on Reggie Love and playing with the Tar Heels

billy
05-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Watching NewsChannel 14 (Cable local news network in the Triangle for those who live elsewhere), a recorded speech by Barack Obama at the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner (a Democratic fundraising dinner in Raleigh), he says:

"I want to make sure that I give a special note of thanks, I know he may not be here, but, I know he was happy that I was out here playing with the tar heels, (pause, cheers from crowd), even though my guy, everyone knows that my guy, Reggie Love is a Duke man, so I'm embracing all sides, but, I want to make sure that I say a special thanks to John and Elizabeth Edwards..."

Jim3k
05-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Seems to me that the basketball ticket has taken a big hit, here. I'll take the props thrown to the Heel players and the hat tip to our man Reggie. But...As I understand the posted material, Obama thinks John Edwards is a Tarheel.

Everyone here knows that Edwards is a Wuffie. So I believe it is fair to say that Obama has not done his homework. He was unprepared and he simply, and badly, whiffed on Triangle basketball and its rivalries. If you're going to vote-pander, at least get the uniforms right.

Julio! Ya there? Julio! -- strike that man from the BB ticket!

It's about what you'd expect from an Occy, UChi, HLS dude. Them guys is too elite for us.

Did Hillary play 6 on 6 at Wellesley? If so, put her on the team. I bet she was a rover.

NovaScotian
05-03-2008, 10:20 AM
uhh, what?

edwards went to unc law and hes stated publicly hes a big unc basketball fan.

Edouble
05-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Seems to me that the basketball ticket has taken a big hit, here. I'll take the props thrown to the Heel players and the hat tip to our man Reggie. But...As I understand the posted material, Obama thinks John Edwards is a Tarheel.

Everyone here knows that Edwards is a Wuffie. So I believe it is fair to say that Obama has not done his homework. He was unprepared and he simply, and badly, whiffed on Triangle basketball and its rivalries. If you're going to vote-pander, at least get the uniforms right.

Julio! Ya there? Julio! -- strike that man from the BB ticket!

It's about what you'd expect from an Occy, UChi, HLS dude. Them guys is too elite for us.

Did Hillary play 6 on 6 at Wellesley? If so, put her on the team. I bet she was a rover.

Edwards has gone on record that he's a 'Heels fan. Although he didn't get his undergraduate degree at UNC, he did get his JD there and he met his wife there. He also served as a US Senator for the state of North Carolina, which is pretty much a UNC state.

Obama also thanked Elizabeth Edwards, who got her undergraduate degree and her JD at UNC.

From the quote, it seems like Obama was sort of thanking them as a pair, and the school that really permeates through that couple is UNC-Chapel Hill.

Duke09
05-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Them guys is too elite for us.

At the risk of taking this to the Pub pol boards, calling Obama elite, with an negative connotation meaning out of touch, means you believe everything you hear on TV. How is the guy raised by a single mother out of touch, while the other 2 candidates have spent their entire lives in washington and have spouses making over 100 million?

From another angle, don't you want an elite, smart, educated guy running the country? That is what Duke is about, molding smart students to be the leaders of the future. What other job is a requirement, "Want to have a beer with him." I don't care if they are personally likeable, I want them to make good decisions and do a good job.

Channing
05-03-2008, 11:35 AM
At the risk of taking this to the Pub pol boards, calling Obama elite, with an negative connotation meaning out of touch, means you believe everything you hear on TV. How is the guy raised by a single mother out of touch, while the other 2 candidates have spent their entire lives in washington and have spouses making over 100 million?

From another angle, don't you want an elite, smart, educated guy running the country? That is what Duke is about, molding smart students to be the leaders of the future. What other job is a requirement, "Want to have a beer with him." I don't care if they are personally likeable, I want them to make good decisions and do a good job.

I could be mistaken, and I don't want to speak for anyone - but I'm pretty sure that comment was tongue in cheek.

msdukie
05-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Edwards went to State for undergrad (which is far more important than where you go to grad school).

I don't criticize Obama, because I'm pretty sure that Edwards doesn't remember that he went to State.

Jim3k
05-03-2008, 02:17 PM

I suggest you tune your antennae to the sardonic frequency. If you don't, you will be missing much of the richness found on all three boards.

1Devil
05-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Edwards and Obama would each swear his allegiance to UNC-Pembroke if that's what they thought it would take to get elected.

DevilWolf
05-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Edwards DID go to NC State for undergrad, but he has said many a time that he learned how to be a douchebag at UNC, and that is where his heart is (this week).

davekay1971
05-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Everyone here knows that Edwards is a Wuffie.

Edwards officially lost Wuffie status when he sat in the stands at the Dean Dome wearing Carolina blue and cheering on the Tarheels. For any TRUE Wolfpacker, that would be unthinkable...

Uncle Drew
05-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Edwards DID go to NC State for undergrad, but he has said many a time that he learned how to be a douchebag at UNC, and that is where his heart is (this week).

That is THE funniest statement I have EVER read on DBR. I'm not sure if it's because I loathe UNC so much or hate lawyers so much. But I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes. Please do me a favor and cite the source of that quote, because if Edwards actually said anything closely resembling that I've got to get it put on a teeshirt or bumpers sticker!

SilkyJ
05-05-2008, 04:42 PM

HAHA. POTD!

That is THE funniest statement I have EVER read on DBR. I'm not sure if it's because I loathe UNC so much or hate lawyers so much. But I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes.

Its up there, though I don't hate lawyers in general as much as you, just ambulance chasers.

hokieDEVIL83
07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this on DBP, but apparently Reggie Love has landed the job as Obama's "body man". Regardless of your particular political views, you have to proud of this young man!

here are the links:

http://dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?bid=17&pid=203

http://www.mgwashington.com/index.php/news/article/top-obama-aide-goes-from-duke-basketball-court-to-dc/1004/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/us/politics/27reggie.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Acymetric
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Not sure if anyone has seen this on DBP, but apparently Reggie Love has landed the job as Obama's "body man". Regardless of your particular political views, you have to proud of this young man!

here are the links:

http://dukeblueplanet.com/blog.asp?bid=17&pid=203

http://www.mgwashington.com/index.php/news/article/top-obama-aide-goes-from-duke-basketball-court-to-dc/1004/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/us/politics/27reggie.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This happened quite a while ago, I know DBR has posted about it more than once on the main page.

Clipsfan
07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I do wonder whether Reggie helped Obama with his shooting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j87k1j4CpOw

Shammrog
07-25-2008, 12:08 PM

(Uh, dude - Jim3K is an ardent liberal and Obama supporter. He was being facetious.)

But he was wrong about Edwards - a professed UNC fan who "hates Duke."