PDA

View Full Version : What Is Going On With Student-Athletes These Days?

BlueintheFace
05-02-2008, 09:23 PM
First Indiana has to dismiss a few players, then one of them throws a tantrum in Coach Crean's office. Next we have LSU dismissing their superstar quarterback for drug issues. Now for more misbehaving in basketball, Bruce Pearl has dismissed two big contributors from his team.... I could go on...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3379236

What is wrong with big money sport student-athletes this day and age? Are AAU leaches to blame? Am I just imagining things, and these problems have always been here? Is the media just making things more visible? ...thoughts?

Devilsfan
05-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Nothing is wrong with the "student"-athlete.

Edouble
05-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Nothing is wrong with the "student"-athlete.

But he was asking about the "big money sport student-athletes".

mepanchin
05-03-2008, 03:52 AM
I don't think those kids (Smith, Crews) made good decisions, but I think our culture of ignorance and knee-jerk judgment on marijuana usage is to blame here. How many student-athletes do you think drink underage or smoke cigarettes or cigars from time to time? We might quietly say we don't approve, but if it comes out that a student-athlete smokes pot, we indict them - even going as far as kicking them off their team. It seems unfair to me. These kids aren't dealing or doing more destructive drugs. They are smoking pot.

Bob Green
05-03-2008, 06:10 AM
This thread is quickly gravitating toward the PPB.

weezie
05-03-2008, 08:21 AM
And still, Duke is the "Hated Evil Empire." Just for playing it clean.