PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Series with G'Town back on

Classof06
05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry if this is a redundant post but Andy Katz said in his blog yesterday that he spoke with JTIII, who confirmed that the Duke-Georgetown series will resume in Durham this upcoming season.

I know most of us expected this but I didn't know if it was officially confirmed.

Mods, please feel free to delete this if it's old news.

pfrduke
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Sorry if this is a redundant post but Andy Katz said in his blog yesterday that he spoke with JTIII, who confirmed that the Duke-Georgetown series will resume in Durham this upcoming season.

I know most of us expected this but I didn't know if it was officially confirmed.

Mods, please feel free to delete this if it's old news.

Did expect it to resume, but slightly disappointed to hear it's resuming in Durham (since that's where we last played). I had assumed it would be a road game.

BD80
05-02-2008, 02:26 PM

GREAT NEWS!!

How will the Crazies react to Greg Monroe, and how will Monroe perform at the Cam?

Doubt we have to worry about playing him in his junior year :)

pfrduke
05-02-2008, 02:32 PM
How will the Crazies react to Greg Monroe

Hopefully there will be no similarities to the Oregon and Illinois fans' reactions to visits by Kevin Love and Eric Gordon, respectively.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
How will the Crazies react to Greg Monroe, and how will Monroe perform at the Cam?

I'm quite sure that the Crazies will treat him with the same respect they give all other visiting players. Not all other players had the opportunity to play at Duke, but they/he are accorded no special treatment. Unless he does something foolish which makes him fair game for creative razzing.

Truth
05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
GREAT NEWS!!

No doubt with a rousing chant of "Plumlee's Better! <clap,clap, clap-clap-clap>"

[Part of me is hesitant to post this and contribute to the over-expectations that are being placed on Miles, but in regards to a single game, who knows -- I can dream...]

devilboomer
05-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Hopefully there will be no similarities to the Oregon and Illinois fans' reactions to visits by Kevin Love and Eric Gordon, respectively.

I see no reason why we should expect that. Gordon first committed to Illinois, then took back his verbal to go to Indiana. That's just dirty. Kevin Love is from the state of Oregon and his dad played basketball there (i'm not saying that the actions of Oregon fans were acceptable). Greg Monroe is from Louisiana.

I'm sure the Crazies will give him a hard time, as they give all opposing players a hard time. However, I don't suspect that we'll see Lance Thomas assaulting Monroe in the pre-game handshake, or that we'll see the fans throwing stuff at his parents.

Kdogg
05-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I see no reason why we should expect that. Gordon first committed to Illinois, then took back his verbal to go to Indiana. That's just dirty. Kevin Love is from the state of Oregon and his dad played basketball there (i'm not saying that the actions of Oregon fans were acceptable). Greg Monroe is from Louisiana.

I'm sure the Crazies will give him a hard time, as they give all opposing players a hard time. However, I don't suspect that we'll see Lance Thomas assaulting Monroe in the pre-game handshake, or that we'll see the fans throwing stuff at his parents.

Over the years, Duke's had a ton of high profile non-commits come into Cameron (Baron Davis, Jason Collier, a string of guys who ended up at Carolina). In twenty years, I can not remember anyone being treated like Love or Gordon.

Olympic Fan
05-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I agree with most of the posters in this thread -- I hope the Crazies have enough class to treat Monroe as any normal visiting player.

It's not like he screwed us or did us wrong in any way. He's just a player we recruited who liked another program. While I might not understand his choice, I certainly believe that's a choice he has to make. He made it ... no hard feelings ... next play.

PS I am glad the series is resuming, but a bit disappointed that the series will resume in Durham.

CameronCrazy'11
05-02-2008, 03:29 PM
PS I am glad the series is resuming, but a bit disappointed that the series will resume in Durham.

As someone who gets into home games for free, I'm sure not.

shadowfax336
05-02-2008, 04:22 PM
As someone who gets into home games for free, I'm sure not.

amen to that!

BlueintheFace
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Did expect it to resume, but slightly disappointed to hear it's resuming in Durham (since that's where we last played). I had assumed it would be a road game.

I thought our last game against them was when we lost in the last few seconds @ the MCI Center...??

godukerocks
05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I thought our last game against them was when we lost in the last few seconds @ the MCI Center...??

Nope, that was JJ's senior year. We beat them the next year in Cameron, 61-52.

davekay1971
05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
This is great news. Resumption of the series with G'town will be good for both schools.

BlueintheFace
05-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Nope, that was JJ's senior year. We beat them the next year in Cameron, 61-52.

Oh yah, good call

brevity
05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
GREAT NEWS!!

Most sportswriters seem to think Greg Monroe will not be a one-and-done player, but you never know. (Kosta Koufos, anyone?) Glad to see he'll get a chance to experience the CIS environment this coming season, rather than possibly not visiting Durham as a soph.

Ignatius07
05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I had Georgetown as something of a darkhorse before losing Macklin. Actually, that might make belief more accurate - people would underrate them even more. In either case, Georgetown is clearly on the up and up, and I am ecstatic that we have resumed the series. I think they can be top-15 next year, so it will be a good test.

Kishiznit
05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
When I think of Duke / G'town, the first name that comes to my mind is Phil Henderson. Am I the only one?

Edouble
05-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Most sportswriters seem to think Greg Monroe will not be a one-and-done player, but you never know. (Kosta Koufos, anyone?) Glad to see he'll get a chance to experience the CIS environment this coming season, rather than possibly not visiting Durham as a soph.

I think that by saying we wouldn't have to play him his junior year, BD80 was suggesting that he would be a two-and-done.

I'm excited that we're renewing the series with the Hoyas, and I don't care where we play, as long as we win.

MCragg
05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Just to clarify for everyone, the series never technically ended - the next two seasons are a part of the original contract. Georgetown had asked for a year off to assist with other scheduling issues and we happily agreed. The flipping of home and home was done to assist both schools. So yes we are playing two in a row at home but when it is all said and done - both schools will play an equal number of home and away games in the series. Duke will return to Georgetown's home court during the 2009-10 season.

devildeac
05-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Just to clarify for everyone, the series never technically ended - the next two seasons are a part of the original contract. Georgetown had asked for a year off to assist with other scheduling issues and we happily agreed. The flipping of home and home was done to assist both schools. So yes we are playing two in a row at home but when it is all said and done - both schools will play an equal number of home and away games in the series. Duke will return to Georgetown's home court during the 2009-10 season.

The trouble with these infrequent posters is that they always seem to come by and provide us with facts instead of wild speculation, worry and loose, idle talk that we thrive on around here so often.(wink, wink-thanks for the update, Mike-don't be a stranger:D )