PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Plumlee

Pages : [1] 2

Blueequalslife23
05-02-2008, 12:31 AM
This maybe way to early to start talking about this kid but we all know that it's going to be brought up sometime. What do you all think. He joins his brothers at Duke? Or takes his abilities to another school?

Jumbo
05-02-2008, 12:35 AM
This maybe way to early to start talking about this kid but we all know that it's going to be brought up sometime. What do you all think. He joins his brothers at Duke? Or takes his abilities to another school?

It is WAY too early. He is a high school freshman. Had you even started thinking about college at that age? I know he's an elite basketball player, but what's the point in speculating about a decision he won't have to make for quite a long time?

Ignatius07
05-02-2008, 12:37 AM
I think he's actually a rising junior (class of 2010). So he would be closer to reaching the serious evaluation/commitment stage for a HS baller...

FireOgilvie
05-02-2008, 12:46 AM
I think he's actually a rising junior (class of 2010). So he would be closer to reaching the serious evaluation/commitment stage for a HS baller...

2011. He's going to be a sophomore. He probably doesn't have his driver's license.

Jumbo
05-02-2008, 12:59 AM
2011. He's going to be a sophomore. He probably doesn't have his driver's license.

Yup. As I said, he's still finishing his freshman year in school.

NYC Duke Fan
05-02-2008, 01:11 AM

Is there something that you know that I do not when you say join his ,"BROTHERS", at Duke ? I thought Duke at this time is only getting one brother.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Is there something that you know that I do not when you say join his ,"BROTHERS", at Duke ? I thought Duke at this time is only getting one brother.

Read the boards! Read the main page! Miles committed to Duke today and will be eligible in the fall (or so I've been told by trustworthy sources.) Mason will enroll the following fall.

Ignatius07
05-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Read the boards! Read the main page! Miles committed to Duke today and will be eligible in the fall (or so I've been told by trustworthy sources.) Mason will enroll the following fall.

Haha, seriously - there was probably a thread answering your question directly above the one you posted on.

Marshall being a freshman (thanks for the correction), I then agree it's way too early to be worrying about it. It's nice to know, however, that Duke will likely be among his top choices automatically.

roywhite
05-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Marshall being a freshman (thanks for the correction), I then agree it's way too early to be worrying about it. It's nice to know, however, that Duke will likely be among his top choices automatically.

If Marshall were to come to Duke also, and if all three turn out to be good or very good players (large assumptions, granted):

Can you imagine how annoyed opposing fans will be? :)

JasonEvans
05-02-2008, 09:10 AM
If Marshall were to come to Duke also, and if all three turn out to be good or very good players (large assumptions, granted):

Can you imagine how annoyed opposing fans will be? :)

Especially Carolina fans seeing as the family preferred Carolina but Roy took other 2009 kids and now the family would appear to be huge Duke fans ;)

--Jason "Miles, Mason, and Marshall... oh my!" Evans

MChambers
05-02-2008, 09:23 AM

But I have heard that he is the second coming of Patrick Davidson.

Bluedawg
05-02-2008, 10:49 AM
It is WAY too early. He is a high school freshman. Had you even started thinking about college at that age? I know he's an elite basketball player, but what's the point in speculating about a decision he won't have to make for quite a long time?

My only question on him is that the paper listed him at 6-10 also. Are all three boys really 6-10? What are the odds of that?

There is a third Plumlee son playing at Christ School, 6-10 Marshall.
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1057947.html

greybeard
05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
My only question on him is that the paper listed him at 6-10 also. Are all three boys really 6-10? What are the odds of that?

The Hummer brothers who played for Princeton in the mid 60s, one of whose sons started for powerhouse Gonzaga in the DC area Catholic league, which won the city championship this year.

Blueequalslife23
05-02-2008, 03:51 PM

You know what Jumbo, i usually don't disagree with you but this time i do. Maybe this is Duke's problem look at Carolina they got top recruits coming for the next 3 years. Kentucky yesterday signed a 8TH GRADER!! Take the talented players off the board quick so colleges don't come calling. Marshall is a talented player. We all know coach K's strategy he doesn't offer to youngsters so maybe a switch in recruiting strategy could do some good.

Channing
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
You know what Jumbo, i usually don't disagree with you but this time i do. Maybe this is Duke's problem look at Carolina they got top recruits coming for the next 3 years. Kentucky yesterday signed a 8TH GRADER!! Take the talented players off the board quick so colleges don't come calling. Marshall is a talented player. We all know coach K's strategy he doesn't offer to youngsters so maybe a switch in recruiting strategy could do some good.

just a correction - UK did not sign anyone. They got a verbal from an 8th grader - similar to the verbal that TK gave UCLA when he was in 8/9 grade, and the one OJ Mayo gave UK in 8th grade (I think). It is meaningless.

shadowfax336
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
the story itself made it clear how ridiculous the 8th grader thing is, the kid doesn't even know where he's going to HS yet, but he's committed to UK. Silly stuff....

We're a program that prides itself on character right? Lets wait and see what type of people these guys develop into, students, athletes and personalities. UNC is gambling, taking players as early as they do in my opinion. We'll see though...

(also surely it leads to some level of complacency/big-headedness if you've commited to UK as an 8th grader right? I lmean would you keep working your butt off to the same level if you've had it handed to you like that? Just speculating but that might have been part of TKs issue, he's had people telling him he's good since he was in middle school, and thus didn't feel the need to care about things like getting in shape...)

jimsumner
05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Clemson had four Mahaffey brothers who pretty much bracketed the '60s and they were all within about an inch of each other, 6'7", 6'8."

As far as Marshall is concerned, I hope the Duke fan base will give him the time and space to grow and develop without putting too much pressure on him too soon. There are no guarantees. Both Danny Hurley and Jason Capel elected to go their own way in part to avoid the expectations set by their brothers.

davekay1971
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Personally, I think it's pretty abhorrent to start recruiting 8th and 9th graders. These are kids, and need time and room to grow. They need to be protected. For college coaches to come at them, trying to woo them, at age 13 or 14, opens a pandora's box of potential problems. I hope Duke continues to stay away from any strategy of "getting 'em young."

-jk
05-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Personally, I think it's pretty abhorrent to start recruiting 8th and 9th graders. These. are kids, and need time and room to grow. They need to be protected. For college coaches to come at them, trying to woo them, at age 13 or 14, opens a pandora's box of potential problems. I hope Duke continues to stay away from any strategy of "getting 'em young."

Meh. My wife's god-kid has been playing the AAU circuit for years. He got his first letters when he was 11. The system is so broken; there is so much money. I'm afraid that bus has left the station.

-jk

davekay1971
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Meh. My wife's god-kid has been playing the AAU circuit for years. He got his first letters when he was 11. The system is so broken; there is so much money. I'm afraid that bus has left the station.

-jk

Yah, boy, with my ability to spot a problem years after it's begun, I should go into politics. I could point out that social security and the medical system may be in need of reform, then alert America that some terrorists don't like us very much.

Uncle Drew
05-02-2008, 08:44 PM

I was in college for two years before I started thinking about college, lol. Stil with players committing earlier and earlier these days it's never a bad idea to guage his tallent level and perhaps get his brothers to whisper in his ear.

Jumbo
05-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I was in college for two years before I started thinking about college, lol. Stil with players committing earlier and earlier these days it's never a bad idea to guage his tallent level and perhaps get his brothers to whisper in his ear.

But with a few obvious exceptions, it's incredibly hard to gauge talent at such a young age. Sure, you can follow kids, but you run into dangerous territory when you start handing out scholarship offers (or taking verbals) from kids at a really young age. Some might have already done all their growing; others might grow a ton. They're still very, very young.

That said, I don't think we'll have to worry about "jumping" on the recruitment of Marshall Plumlee. Seems like he has a pretty good idea where Duke is located by now. If he wants to come to Duke, he'll know plenty about the school.

Bay Area Duke Fan
05-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Didn't he commit to Duke during his sophomore year in high school? If Coach K follows that precedent, he can seek Marshall's commitment next spring.

Then in 2011-12, Duke could have all three M. Plumlees competing against each other for PT. Has Coach K thought about how difficult it will be to get their full names on the back of their jerseys?

Jarhead
05-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Didn't he commit to Duke during his sophomore year in high school? If Coach K follows that precedent, he can seek Marshall's commitment next spring.

Then in 2011-12, Duke could have all three M. Plumlees competing against each other for PT. Has Coach K thought about how difficult it will be to get their full names on the back of their jerseys?
Miles P
Mason P
Marshall P

devildeac
05-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Miles P
Mason P
Marshall P

Or, how about:

MP1
MP2
MP3
:D

AtlDuke72
05-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Marshall is going to hear the question about Duke about 8 million times before he graduates from high school. All three of my kids went to Duke and the youngest was really sick of the question of whether she was going to follow her brother and sister. She almost decided to go elsewhere because of it. I suggest that everyone just leave him alone. Without a doubt he will know everything there is to know about Duke from his brothers. Speculating and discussing him is really unfair at best and counter productive at worst.

Bob Green
10-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Marshall Plumlee (6'8" 175) is currently a sophomore and is the #5 PF in the Class of 2011 according to Scout. That would make him 15 or 16. He is already picking up scholarship offers from Div. 1 schools:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880926097&GID=4BVGkoKTNpIjsPKogjGomyIzu8oSi/gbBHsYgMmkfB0%3D

brevity
10-20-2008, 04:06 AM
There is another. (http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880926097)

Does anyone know if there was a school that had 3 brothers all play for them?

I don't know. We have a shot at it. So does Creighton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Korver).

ETA: Dang, Bob Green. Beat me by 2 minutes, and with the same link!

roywhite
10-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Does anyone know if there was a school that had 3 brothers all play for them ?

There were 4 Mahaffey brothers that played basketball for Clemson in the 1960's. Randy Mahaffey may have been the best of the bunch.

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/mahaffey_randy00.html

dukebballcamper90-91
10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Marshall was present at the Blue White game. A lot of people(kids) got his autograph and picture. There was a chant during the game...Marshall Plumlee...Come to Duke!

killerleft
10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Randy Mahaffey played with Bob Verga for two years with the Carolina Cougars.

watzone
10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Marshall is a good kid, but is still a work in progress according to his Dad. He made strides last summer, really coming out at Dave Telep's camp where North Carolina kids gather. Marshall was wearing a Duke jersey and the Plumlee family is getting quite acclimated to the Duke way. Duke will start to concentrate on his class after the season. It's way too early to specualte but so much on Marshall.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvjbMsg046o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSN8BOqa8VQ

Hard to scout his bball talent from these clips.

G man
04-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Lets just hope Mason and Miles play well and enjoy their time. If that happens Marshall might be inclined to make it a family affair! More important Mason looked like a post player lets hope he continues that development

gotham devil
04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=2043

jpfrizzle
04-04-2009, 12:38 PM
History would certainly be made here if we got 3 Plumlee brothers to become Blue Devils!!! Go DUKE

Newton_14
04-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I posted the below in another thread. Thought I would stick in this thread in case anyone is interested...

ESPN did a blog with a few of the McD All-Stars last night, one of which was our Mason Plumlee. He had some interesting things to say. He talks about the excitement of coming to Duke, reuniting with his big brother and mentions he hopes his little brother develops enough to join them at Duke.. good stuff

here is the link, scroll down to find the comments from Mason...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25738

Double DD
04-06-2009, 03:10 PM
According to some of the more recent articles this week form Rivals and Scout on Marshall, he's apparently 6'11.5" now. Depending on how he fills out and if he has some more growth in him, I think that could make him a legit C prospect.

You can see the proof in the team photo, as he's clearly taller than Mason now.

http://www.maxpreps.com/user_uploaded/teamphoto/08e31156-1f2d-4c08-b687-afb41d9f9601/5/9/3/08e31156-1f2d-4c08-b687-afb41d9f9601_5939a639-4c82-4abb-800d-10db38f313d0.jpg

Icarus09
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
According to some of the more recent articles this week form Rivals and Scout on Marshall, he's apparently 6'11.5" now. Depending on how he fills out and if he has some more growth in him, I think that could make him a legit C prospect.

You can see the proof in the team photo, as he's clearly taller than Mason now.

If his brothers are any indication he probably won't fill out a ton, making him more of a high-low player. Then again, we'll see what Miles looks like after a summer of college workouts.

longtimefan
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
ESPN Chat http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25738

"Mason Plumlee: As far as me and Miles, I think we're similar, but at the same time, he's bigger and stronger than me. As far as Marshall goes, he's developing, he's pretty scrawny right now. He's still just a junior. If he has a good summer, I'm hoping he'll have a chance to come to Duke. "

gotham devil
05-07-2009, 04:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4135606

From this past weekend

Marshall Plumlee C (6-11, 200)
2011, Warsaw, Ind. / Christ School (NC)

Plumlee has continued to improve. He is still a work in progress both physically and skill wise but is talented and has a terrific upside. Plumlee has an excellent basketball IQ and fundamentally sound for a young player his size. He runs the floor well and is mobile. At times he will shy away from contact but as he adds strength that should change because he competes on both ends of the floor. On defense he plays with his hands up and blocks and charges shots because he does a nice job of making the opponent shoot over him. Plumlee has good hands and footwork in the post. He likes to post on the left low block and spin baseline or drop step and use his height to score over the top. Plumlee also has the ability to step out of the low post and be very affective. He has an excellent shooting stroke and knocked 15 foot jumpers with great confidence. Passing under pressure and out of the post when doubled is an area of improvement for this young post. At times he allows the defense to speed him up and he may rush to get rid off the ball that will result in a turnover. Post players tend to develop at a slower rate the guards and Plumlee is no different but when he hits his peak watch out!

ChicagoCrazy84
05-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I would rather get James McAdoo, but...

I thought him and Andre Dawkins were buddies. Andre better step up his recruiting magic, that is what we got him for, right?

gotham devil
05-07-2009, 07:37 PM

I thought him and Andre Dawkins were buddies. Andre better step up his recruiting magic, that is what we got him for, right?

It would be nice to have a mobile, skilled center.

FireOgilvie
05-07-2009, 07:44 PM

I'll take both.

One is a center, one is a PF. Although McAdoo IS a McAdoo... so we'll see.

gotham devil
07-16-2009, 12:39 PM
http://fullcourtpreps.blogspot.com/2009/07/catching-up-with-2011-porspect-marshall.html

Reddevil
07-16-2009, 01:06 PM
It is often said that Coach K doesn't just recruit student athletes, he recruits families. This would be a neat thing. All 3 have a skill set that is complementary to a team concept regardless of other recruits. I know we have not seen much at this level yet, but they seem to be "glue" guys, and versatile bigs that are just scratching the surface. MP cubed would be cool to see - especially since they are from different classes, and levels of development. It would also be interesting to see how different they play since it is more natural to look at similarities. The dynamic is compelling when looking at them as brothers, and as individuals....and hopefully as teammates.

CDu
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
he's actually a rising junior

You're quoting a post from May 2008. At the time of the post, he was still a freshman.

gotham devil
07-20-2009, 04:07 PM
http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=3900

Now has an offer from the 2006 and 2007 champion Florida Gators

FireOgilvie
07-20-2009, 04:33 PM
http://blogs.heraldtimesonline.com/iusp/?p=3900

Now has an offer from the 2006 and 2007 champion Florida Gators

By the time he's available, maybe they will have extended their streak to 4 straight NIT appearances.

Billy Donovan is a great recruiter, and only a decent coach, IMO.

Edit: Like Rick Barnes.

Hancock 4 Duke
07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
It is often said that Coach K doesn't just recruit student athletes, he recruits families. This would be a neat thing. All 3 have a skill set that is complementary to a team concept regardless of other recruits. I know we have not seen much at this level yet, but they seem to be "glue" guys, and versatile bigs that are just scratching the surface. MP cubed would be cool to see - especially since they are from different classes, and levels of development. It would also be interesting to see how different they play since it is more natural to look at similarities. The dynamic is compelling when looking at them as brothers, and as individuals....and hopefully as teammates.

That would be some jersey trouble. Mar. Plumlee, Mi. Plumlee, and Mas. Plumlee.

mgtr
07-20-2009, 05:12 PM

A problem I would love to have!

elvis14
07-20-2009, 05:17 PM
that would be some jersey trouble. Mar. Plumlee, mi. Plumlee, and mas. Plumlee.

mp1, mp2, mp3

SMO
07-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Mas Plumlee por favor!

Indoor66
07-20-2009, 05:32 PM
If we have those three shirts, I vote for a forth to be made up with "Perky" on it.

airowe
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4496541

jesus_hurley
09-23-2009, 11:52 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4496541

Their home court, the 1,000-seat Greenie Dome field house, is a secret weapon. The Greenies are 40-1 in the past three seasons and are urged on by the entire student body painted green, standing throughout the entire game.

"It's like Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium; we think it's a special place and tough place for opponents," Gaines said.

Come play home games in the real thing....

Welcome2DaSlopes
09-24-2009, 05:39 AM
I am surprissed espn had miles at 6 9

Blueequalslife23
10-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Any updates with Marshall?

NYC Duke Fan
10-27-2009, 03:27 AM
By the time he's available, maybe they will have extended their streak to 4 straight NIT appearances.

Billy Donovan is a great recruiter, and only a decent coach, IMO.

Edit: Like Rick Barnes.

You are joking aren't you ? " Billy Donovan is only a decent coach ". Name another coach not named Coach K or John Wooden who has won back to back NCAA championships?

Right now Donovan is right up there with Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Rick Pittino, and possibly Bill Self as being the best college basketball coaches.

Turtleboy
10-27-2009, 07:10 AM
You are joking aren't you ? " Billy Donovan is only a decent coach ". Name another coach not named Coach K or John Wooden who has won back to back NCAA championships?How about 4? Henry Iba. Phil Woolpert. Adolph Rupp. Ed Jucker.

NYC Duke Fan
10-27-2009, 09:07 AM
How about 4? Henry Iba. Phil Woolpert. Adolph Rupp. Ed Jucker.

You are correct..I was thinking more about recent times and how Donovan rates with current coaches. Basketball was totally different when Iba, Woolpert ,Rupp and Jucker were coaching. It was probably different when Wooden was also but my point is that Donovan, today, is one of the best college coaches.

BD80
10-27-2009, 09:31 AM
You are joking aren't you ? " Billy Donovan is only a decent coach ". Name another coach not named Coach K or John Wooden who has won back to back NCAA championships?

Right now Donovan is right up there with Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Rick Pittino, and possibly Bill Self as being the best college basketball coaches.

How many coaches could win back-to-back with:

Al Horford
Joakim Noah
Corey Brewer
Marreese Speights
Taurean Green
Lee Humphrey
Chris Richard

That is 4 NBA players, 2 Euro League players, and a D-league player.

That is great recruiting, not necessarily great coaching.

His streak of NIT appearances proves Donovan is NOT up there with Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Rick Pittino, or Bill Self.

jimsumner
10-27-2009, 09:44 AM
"Name another coach not named Coach K or John Wooden who has won back to back NCAA championships?"

Hank Iba, Adolph Rupp, Phil Woolpert, Ed Jucker.

Half of that list consists of coaching immortals.

The other half? Not so much.

miramar
10-27-2009, 09:47 AM

Al Horford
Joakim Noah
Corey Brewer
Marreese Speights
Taurean Green
Lee Humphrey
Chris Richard

His streak of NIT appearances proves Donovan is NOT up there with Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Rick Pittino, or Bill Self.

I don't know if that was great recruiting or if Donovan was just very fortunate. IIRC, the Horford, Brewer, Noah, and Green class was ranked #12 by Rivals, so nobody expected them to do that much. In fact, not one of those players was ranked in the top 30:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp

We could argue that Donovan knew something no one else did or that he is great at player development, but his recent results suggest otherwise. No matter what, one of my daughters was at UF at the time, and it was a really fun team to watch. Not to mention that the players were articulate and funny, so they were really great for the school and for college basketball in general.

roywhite
10-27-2009, 09:49 AM

Al Horford
Joakim Noah
Corey Brewer
Marreese Speights
Taurean Green
Lee Humphrey
Chris Richard

A better comparison for Donovan is probably Maryland coach Gary Williams. He had great success with one particular group of players, and otherwise has done well generally, but not been consistent.

Back to the original thread topic, I've not seen anything new on Marshall's recruiting situation. Hope he decides on Duke.

chrisheery
10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Isn't this the Marshall Plumlee thread?

BD80
10-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Isn't this the Marshall Plumlee thread?

Whose wingspan is 9'6" !

CEF1959
10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
These Plumlees are like salted peanuts. You try one, then two, and before you know it, you are craving them by the case. Calling Marcus, Milton, Myron, and Michael Plumlee.....

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Don't forget Mary for Coach P

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-28-2009, 01:07 AM
I think we would NEED Marshall, If we don't get him then we are left with His two brothers and Josh Hairston for being our Big Man. That's not a real problem but it would be nice to have a fourth post man.

FireOgilvie
10-28-2009, 01:17 AM
I think we would NEED Marshall, If we don't get him then we are left with His two brothers and Josh Hairston for being our Big Man. That's not a real problem but it would be nice to have a fourth post man.

We'll have Ryan Kelly as well.

But, I totally agree that we need a center from the class of 2011, whether it is Marshall or someone else. In what would be Marshall's freshman year, Mason would be starting his junior year and Miles would be a senior. I'm not totally sure that Mason or Miles will be around at that point.

Welcome2DaSlopes
10-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Yea so of them could possibly leave ealier although i hope not. I don't know but until Ryan get's bigger i don't really see him as a true post player. He can play the four but he would be on the peritmeter if he doesn't get bigger. Nice Three point stroke though.

Kewlswim
10-28-2009, 03:45 AM
We'll have Ryan Kelly as well.

But, I totally agree that we need a center from the class of 2011, whether it is Marshall or someone else. In what would be Marshall's freshman year, Mason would be starting his junior year and Miles would be a senior. I'm not totally sure that Mason or Miles will be around at that point.

Hi,

I haven't heard where any of the Plumlee kids have talked about leaving early. Are you conjecturing that they could if they get better or have you read something where there is a link?

GO DUKE!

FireOgilvie
10-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Hi,

I haven't heard where any of the Plumlee kids have talked about leaving early. Are you conjecturing that they could if they get better or have you read something where there is a link?

GO DUKE!

I haven't heard anything. I'm sure that both of them are totally focused on Duke at this point as they should be. But historically, NBA scouts go crazy over prospects with the kind of speed and athleticism the Plumlees have for their size. Miles already has a vertical higher than anyone near his size in the NBA Draft Combine the last several years. I would guess that if Mason averaged around 8 points and 6 rebounds this year (or higher), he could go in the first round of the draft if he decided to enter; maybe even the lottery, depending on who comes out. It would obviously be really early and it most likely won't happen, especially after one year, but you never know. Based on what I think his pro prospects are, I would say there is a very solid chance that Mason doesn't stay 4 years. The same goes for Miles, but he doesn't have quite the hype that Mason already does, so I'm guessing he'll more than likely be here for all four. Basically, you never know what will happen, although I would love it if both of them stayed as long as possible.

For these reasons, I think it's definitely in Duke's best interest to pick up a center in 2011 (although I don't know of any possible targets outside of Marshall at this time).

jesus_hurley
10-28-2009, 09:59 AM

We are also recruiting Quincy Miller in the class of 2011. He's listed as a 3/4

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3959638

airowe
10-28-2009, 10:58 AM
We are also recruiting Quincy Miller in the class of 2011. He's listed as a 3/4

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3959638

From everything I've read, Quincy really likes Duke and the feeling is mutual. Hopefully, the issues with Clifton won't affect his eligibility. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Josh Hairston too. He could be a great player for us. IIRC, he's the 18th ranked PF in the '10 class after playing at a small school and not getting much exposure. He's now transferred to Montrose Christian and I'm interested to see how he's rated after this year in a bigger spotlight.

Back to MP3, I think he can be a great talent as he grows into his body. He's already visited Duke twice this offseason so there's definitely interest there too. I'd love to see a class of Rivers, Miller, Plumlee, and maybe one more if there's room in '11.

CEF1959
10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
In terms of kids projected as centers (as opposed to 3s or 4s who could play the post if needed), MP3 is apparently the only '11 guy on Duke's list.

That said, the whole 5 position thing is kind of being replaced by K with a "Big" and "Small" understanding. But if the opposing team has a 6-11, 260# hoss, having three guys who are 6-8 and 220# presents defensive problems.

So, yes, MP3 would be a good get, especially if MP1 or MP2 might go early.

airowe
10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
In terms of kids projected as centers (as opposed to 3s or 4s who could play the post if needed), MP3 is apparently the only '11 guy on Duke's list.

That said, the whole 5 position thing is kind of being replaced by K with a "Big" and "Small" understanding. But if the opposing team has a 6-11, 260# hoss, having three guys who are 6-8 and 220# presents defensive problems.

So, yes, MP3 would be a good get, especially if MP1 or MP2 might go early.

As he stands now, MP3 would not be able to hold his own against a guy that big but honestly there aren't too many of them in CBB. Obviously, MP3 is still young and has time to grow so, I agree he'll be a big get as he bulks up.

MChambers
10-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I haven't heard anything. I'm sure that both of them are totally focused on Duke at this point as they should be. But historically, NBA scouts go crazy over prospects with the kind of speed and athleticism the Plumlees have for their size. Miles already has a vertical higher than anyone near his size in the NBA Draft Combine the last several years. I would guess that if Mason averaged around 8 points and 6 rebounds this year (or higher), he could go in the first round of the draft if he decided to enter; maybe even the lottery, depending on who comes out. It would obviously be really early and it most likely won't happen, especially after one year, but you never know. Based on what I think his pro prospects are, I would say there is a very solid chance that Mason doesn't stay 4 years. The same goes for Miles, but he doesn't have quite the hype that Mason already does, so I'm guessing he'll more than likely be here for all four. Basically, you never know what will happen, although I would love it if both of them stayed as long as possible.

For these reasons, I think it's definitely in Duke's best interest to pick up a center in 2011 (although I don't know of any possible targets outside of Marshall at this time).

You do realize that Miles barely played last year? And know you're worried about him going pro early? It's possible, of course, and I certainly don't think anyone is ruling it out, but it doesn't seem very likely.

budwom
10-28-2009, 01:56 PM
MChambers brings up a very good point that's applicable to Marshall Plumlee as well.
MP3 might prove to be a great college player, and if we've offered him I'm completely happy about that.
But in 40+ years of following Duke recruiting, I can't think of another guy who got a Duke offer after scoring only three points per game in his previous high school year. Three: as in one, two....
Sure, I know he didn't play much, so I'm not worried about it, but I think I'd lay off the NBA talk for any Plumlees at this point.

Greg_Newton
10-28-2009, 02:23 PM
From everything I've read, Quincy really likes Duke and the feeling is mutual. Hopefully, the issues with Clifton won't affect his eligibility. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Josh Hairston too. He could be a great player for us. IIRC, he's the 18th ranked PF in the '10 class after playing at a small school and not getting much exposure. He's now transferred to Montrose Christian and I'm interested to see how he's rated after this year in a bigger spotlight.

Back to MP3, I think he can be a great talent as he grows into his body. He's already visited Duke twice this offseason so there's definitely interest there too. I'd love to see a class of Rivers, Miller, Plumlee, and maybe one more if there's room in '11.

FWIW, Hairston's composite ranking is 7th for PFs and 27th overall: http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_Summer_2010.htm It's funny how excited people get about Roscoe Smith sometimes... considering he's ranked one spot below Hairston.

As for MP1 and 2, I can certainly see Mason going mid to high first round after 2-3 years depending on how quickly he develops. Miles is certainly more of a stretch, and I think it's very likely we'll have him for 4 years. Like FO said, if he were to declare today, he would be the most athletic big man to do so in several years, which is something you can't just ignore. However, given that a) he still looks very raw as a sophomore b) he seems to be very academically driven c) he doesn't really need the money d) he would likely have the chance to play with 1 or 2 of his little brothers, I just can't see him leaving to be a late first-rounder after his junior year. Which is great!

flyingdutchdevil
10-28-2009, 03:19 PM
As for MP1 and 2, I can certainly see Mason going mid to high first round after 2-3 years depending on how quickly he develops. Miles is certainly more of a stretch, and I think it's very likely we'll have him for 4 years. Like FO said, if he were to declare today, he would be the most athletic big man to do so in several years, which is something you can't just ignore. However, given that a) he still looks very raw as a sophomore b) he seems to be very academically driven c) he doesn't really need the money d) he would likely have the chance to play with 1 or 2 of his little brothers, I just can't see him leaving to be a late first-rounder after his junior year. Which is great!

Considering the NBA's love to athletic 4s, this could easily happen.

I love how the NBA goes through phases where it loves one type of player. Earlier in the decade, it was large, 7 foot guys. A little earlier than that, it was big point guards. Now, it's lanky but uber athletic 4s (thinking Anthony Randolph, Jordan Hill, Tyrus Thomas. Okay, maybe Tyrus was a little bigger, but your get the picture...).

I kinda hope Durant starts the trend of borderline-anorexic SGs / SFs with mad skills. It would be like watching a bunch of Kate Mosses and Keira Knightly's go at it...

Osiagledknarf
01-22-2010, 10:51 PM
He is one of the few of the recruits that we are going after that I don't know a lot about. May someone help out with him? Is he anything like Miles and Mason? Is there a strong likelyhood we get him? If someone could give me a good detail on him that would be great

uh_no
01-23-2010, 02:38 AM
taller

one of the elder brothers said he is looking at schools besides duke though

Devilsfan
01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
He should look around before winding up at Duke.

Misunderestimated
01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
If he comes to see his bro's and visits campus, practice, catches a game, etc., is it considered an official visit and are there limitations as to what he can do when hanging out (i.e. chatting with coaches and staff)?

gotham devil
01-23-2010, 03:32 PM
If he comes to see his bro's and visits campus, practice, catches a game, etc., is it considered an official visit and are there limitations as to what he can do when hanging out (i.e. chatting with coaches and staff)?

It's an official visit when Duke pays for his transportation and entertainment within a 48 hr period of visiting campus following his junior season.

sagegrouse
01-23-2010, 04:01 PM

When he visits Duke on his own, he drives his own used SUV(?) or hitches a ride to Durham from Asheville. He bunks with his brothers and eats at the usual student hangouts.

When he takes an official visit, he arrives by private jet and limo, stays in the finest accommodations (if he wants), and dines at the best places in the Triangle.

Most of us can tell the difference.

sagegrouse

SCMatt33
01-24-2010, 12:30 AM
When he visits Duke on his own, he drives his own used SUV(?) or hitches a ride to Durham from Asheville. He bunks with his brothers and eats at the usual student hangouts.

When he takes an official visit, he arrives by private jet and limo, stays in the finest accommodations (if he wants), and dines at the best places in the Triangle.

Most of us can tell the difference.

sagegrouse

Just curious. Is there any possible issue with him staying with his brothers since that would technically be housing provided by Duke? Is there an exception with family or something because I can't imagine the NCAA would allow any recruit to stay with players on an unofficial visit.

YourLandlord
01-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Just curious. Is there any possible issue with him staying with his brothers since that would technically be housing provided by Duke? Is there an exception with family or something because I can't imagine the NCAA would allow any recruit to stay with players on an unofficial visit.

I don't know the rule, but I am 99.9% with a line over the last 9 sure that a lil bro visiting a big brother in college wouldn't violate anything, even if the lil bro happens to play ball.

CDu
01-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Is that a joke? You guys consider Miles Plumlee one of the most athletic big men in years, lol? I guess that makes Zoubek one of the best offensive big men in years.

Miles was a state silver-medalist in the high jump in high school, and is very strong. I don't think it's outlandish at all to call him one of the most athletic big men in years. There's a difference between pure athleticism and basketball skill.

sagegrouse
01-24-2010, 09:01 AM

Most of the rules I am aware of have to do with (a) contact between coaches and recruits, which is restricted to certain periods of the year, and (b) spending money on recruits, which seems limited to the one official visit. Of course, for me this is NCAA lore -- I'm not about to delve into the massive rule book.

Otherwise, when recruits have siblings or cousins or close friends on campus or are sons of coaches or staff members, this becomes a total nightmare. Of course, "nightmare" and "NCAA regulations" sort of go together, don't they.

sagegrouse

scottdude8
01-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Considering recruits on "unofficial" visits (like Q Miller against Wake) get those prime seats behind the Duke bench, obviously the University must be able to provide SOMETHING to the players... I think it is just that on the official visits the University pays for meals, accommodations, etc (like a few of you have said) while on an unofficial the recruits can just go to the game.

Kewlswim
03-19-2010, 03:00 AM
Hi,

I saw him on tv in the stands with his parents at the ACC Tournament. I haven't heard or read anything about where he might be in the decision making process.

GO DUKE

RelativeWays
03-19-2010, 07:44 AM
I heard there was a big 10 school he was interested in, maybe Wisconsin. Makes since as Bo Ryan does cater his offense around big guys.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-26-2010, 07:39 AM
update?

BD80
05-16-2010, 02:15 PM
An update from AAU play:

BSnowRivals [via Twitter]: Marshall Plumlee just knocked a kid down on a rebound and apologized for it...

Big Pappa
05-16-2010, 03:23 PM
An update from AAU play:

Nice. I haven't ever seen a whole lot of interest from Marshall in Duke. Maybe it's just me, but if I had to put money on it I see him going elsewhere.

WordLife565
05-16-2010, 04:04 PM
My friend and old neighbor John, plays for Christ School with Marshall Plumlee. Apparently he is pretty damn skilled on the court. They won the state championship again this year. He just came back home from school today, so we'll hang out, and I'll ask em if Marshall is thinking seriously about Duke.

hedevil
05-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I gotta agree with Big Pappa here. I have this gut feeling that Marshall's interest is elsewhere.

If I could get some feedback here from someone on the board who is educated in the recruiting process, I would appreciate it.

If Marshall commits to Duke, do Austin and Quincy have to race for the last scholly Duke has available?

Bsim412
05-16-2010, 07:09 PM
My friend and old neighbor John, plays for Christ School with Marshall Plumlee. Apparently he is pretty damn skilled on the court. They won the state championship again this year. He just came back home from school today, so we'll hang out, and I'll ask em if Marshall is thinking seriously about Duke. Are you talking about John Edwards?

BD80
05-16-2010, 07:24 PM
... If Marshall commits to Duke, do Austin and Quincy have to race for the last scholly Duke has available?

I believe Q will wait until the end of his senior year to declare, and won't sign an LOI. If he wants to come to Duke, there is likely to be a spot for him, even if Marshall and Austin accept the offers we extended. I think it likely that at least one of Kyrie, Seth or Mason will leave at the end of next year.

Big Pappa
05-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I believe Q will wait until the end of his senior year to declare, and won't sign an LOI. If he wants to come to Duke, there is likely to be a spot for him, even if Marshall and Austin accept the offers we extended. I think it likely that at least one of Kyrie, Seth or Mason will leave at the end of next year.

First, like I said I don't see Marshall in a Duke uni. Second, I could see Kyrie or Mason leaving after this year but definitely not Seth. There is no reason to play freshman year at Liberty, then come to Duke and sit a year, then play one year and leave for the pros. Both Mason and KI should be lottery but I seriously doubt Seth would get drafted after next year.

MisterRoddy
05-16-2010, 10:30 PM

No way Seth even considers leaving

1) He's a 6'2 SG, Even if he were to play PG at the NBA level, he will get limited amount of PT at the PG position this year with Kyrie there.

2) He's coming off the bench. He will most likely need to start to fully showcase his prospects to NBA scouts.

3) He's a smart kid, nuff said.

Kfanarmy
05-16-2010, 11:08 PM

1) He's a 6'2 SG, Even if he were to play PG at the NBA level, he will get limited amount of PT at the PG position this year with Kyrie there.

2) He's coming off the bench. He will most likely need to start to fully showcase his prospects to NBA scouts.

While I agree with point three, I don't think anyone can state 1 and 2 as facts. SC didn't play in games last year, but he has a year of practice at Duke on top of a year of in-game experience elsewhere. I think the book is out on who starts.

MisterRoddy
05-16-2010, 11:16 PM
While I agree with point three, I don't think anyone can state 1 and 2 as facts. SC didn't play in games last year, but he has a year of practice at Duke on top of a year of in-game experience elsewhere. I think the book is out on who starts.

- I dont understand how Kyrie gets under 25 mins at point this upcoming year. 15 mins (plus shared time with nolan when kyrie is out) is NOT enough time to prove to the NBA that you can play point...even though it is, indeed, not fact, its pretty much the closest thing to the fact.

- Coach K pretty much told everybody what the starting lineup would be next year. (See Fresh Kyrie Irving Thread)

And even if he did start, it wouldnt be at the point.

Point is, theres very little probability that Seth leaves after this upcoming season.

BD80
05-16-2010, 11:25 PM
First, like I said I don't see Marshall in a Duke uni. Second, I could see Kyrie or Mason leaving after this year but definitely not Seth. There is no reason to play freshman year at Liberty, then come to Duke and sit a year, then play one year and leave for the pros. Both Mason and KI should be lottery but I seriously doubt Seth would get drafted after next year.

I think he is the third most likely. If he has a very good year and demonstrates a great shooting stroke, he will be on NBA radar. He has been training with his brother, pro level workouts. He was the top scoring freshman two years ago, and he then spent an entire year playing against the National Champions in practice.

I believe he has still been growing. His brother's NBA success as a "tweener" will work to his benefit.

I think Seth will get plenty of starts and get starters minutes even when he comes off the bench. I don't want to get into a starting line-up discussion, but I think we will often play three guards. Seth will get lots of looks as a spot-up shooter, particularly on the break or a secondary break. He could easily have a monster year. I am not predicting he will leave, but it is possible, increasing the possibility that at least one of those three could leave.

BTW, a year ago I predicted Zoubs would get drafted (I didn't say 1st round) and make an NBA team (I didn't say right away), so what do I know?

MisterRoddy
05-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I think he is the third most likely. If he has a very good year and demonstrates a great shooting stroke, he will be on NBA radar. He has been training with his brother, pro level workouts. He was the top scoring freshman two years ago, and he then spent an entire year playing against the National Champions in practice.

I believe he has still been growing. His brother's NBA success as a "tweener" will work to his benefit.

I think Seth will get plenty of starts and get starters minutes even when he comes off the bench. I don't want to get into a starting line-up discussion, but I think we will often play three guards. Seth will get lots of looks as a spot-up shooter, particularly on the break or a secondary break. He could easily have a monster year. I am not predicting he will leave, but it is possible, increasing the possibility that at least one of those three could leave.

BTW, a year ago I predicted Zoubs would get drafted (I didn't say 1st round) and make an NBA team (I didn't say right away), so what do I know?

I resort back to my number three reason of why he won't leave: He is a smart kid.

Big Pappa
05-16-2010, 11:57 PM

I don't really agree that he is the third most likely to leave early (I think it's Miles) but even if I did that really doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of teams where the third most likely person to leave has no shot of getting drafted. Look at Duke 2 years ago. G and Kyle were the top two but the third most likely would have either been Nolan or Jon - neither one of them were on NBA radar after that season.

MisterRoddy
05-17-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't really agree that he is the third most likely to leave early (I think it's Miles) but even if I did that really doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of teams where the third most likely person to leave has no shot of getting drafted. Look at Duke 2 years ago. G and Kyle were the top two but the third most likely would have either been Nolan or Jon - neither one of them were on NBA radar after that season.

This argument started by a post that said there are 3 players that might leave (Kyrie, Mason, Seth)

I think thats how he meant it, not exactly ranking the Duke players in who is NBA-ready.

Dukefan4Life
05-17-2010, 12:06 AM
All three have a good chance of leaving, I would have to say KI has the most ready NBA game right now

Big Pappa
05-17-2010, 12:10 AM
This argument started by a post that said there are 3 players that might leave (Kyrie, Mason, Seth)

I think thats how he meant it, not exactly ranking the Duke players in who is NBA-ready.

Ok, I'm sorry if I missed that post all I saw was this one:

I think this is the first one mentioning 3 players leaving and all I am saying is that Seth shouldn't be on the list. If we have to list three then I have no problem with Seth on there I just don't think he is even a possibility.

Big Pappa
05-17-2010, 12:11 AM
All three have a good chance of leaving

I certainly disagree with this. Seth does not have a "good chance" of leaving.

Dukefan4Life
05-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Have you not seen him play? If he has a good season and if he chooses to he could get drafted

MisterRoddy
05-17-2010, 12:13 AM
All three have a good chance of leaving, I would have to say KI has the most ready NBA game right now

There is NOT a good chance that Seth leaves, IMO, especially if Kyrie leaves.

Seth leaving would be as a point guard, Kyrie leaving would obviously be as a poing guard, we will not have 2 point guards leaving early for the draft in the same year, we are not kentucky, we actually have a good shooting guard, 2 in fact. Seth Curry leaving would mean either Kyrie got hurt, or he underperformed, prompting K to play Seth at the point instead, hopefully, neither happens.

hedevil
05-17-2010, 12:32 AM
For those who say Seth will need to play most of the year at point to become NBA ready, what if Austin commits to Duke? That would leave Seth playing most of his minutes at the 2 again, therefore still not providing him with heavy minutes at the point.

I'm not arguing whether Seth will be ready or not, I don't know. I'm just asking that if in fact he should need heavy minutes at the 1 to be NBA ready, when would that come? His sole senior year, if Rivers is a one and doner?

MisterRoddy
05-17-2010, 12:40 AM
For those who say Seth will need to play most of the year at point to become NBA ready, what if Austin commits to Duke? That would leave Seth playing most of his minutes at the 2 again, therefore still not providing him with heavy minutes at the point.

I'm not arguing whether Seth will be ready or not, I don't know. I'm just asking that if in fact he should need heavy minutes at the 1 to be NBA ready, when would that come? His sole senior year, if Rivers is a one and doner?

Who's to say Austin will play point, he considers himself more a 2, plus Kyrie might not even be a one and doner. If Kyrie IS a one and doner, Seth will play the point with Austin(if he commits)...While Seth would probably be considered the point, either guard could take it up, but Seth would definitely get a chance to prove to NBA scouts that he can play the point.
If Kyrie stays, Seth still gets a lot of minutes (probably starting), just not at point, and I'm sure he'd be fine with that.

I'm not going to take the scenarios farther than that, but my point is, Seth Curry is probably not going to leave early, especially if Kyrie leaves.

DevilHorns
05-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Isnt this a Marshall Plumlee thread?

All of these recruiting threads end up as one of the same.

Big Pappa
05-17-2010, 10:31 AM

It is and the discussion of who may leave early, thus freeing up a scholarship, is an important factor in whether MP3 comes to Duke.

Duke4life92
05-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by DevilHorns

I thought so aswell but they all end up like this.I saw marshal play in the game on espn earlier this year and was'nt the least bit impressed but that's jmo,i'll leave the recruiting to Coach K and his staff :)

hedevil
05-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Are there any recent videos of this kid (Marshall Plumlee)? What's he been up to lately?

BD80
05-17-2010, 06:04 PM
... (Marshall Plumlee)? What's he been up to lately?

About 6'11"

hedevil
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Ouch! That was bad.lol :D

BD80
05-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Ouch! That was bad.lol :D

It only gets worse as the dog days of summer take their toll.

Any pick-up reports yet?

(This is on topic, as Marshall could be involved in pick-up games with his brothers!)

WordLife565
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Are you talking about John Edwards?

yeah. He used to go to my middle school, was supposed to go to high school where I go, but he went to Christ School to play ball instead.

MChambers
05-17-2010, 08:48 PM
It only gets worse as the dog days of summer take their toll.

Any pick-up reports yet?

(This is on topic, as Marshall could be involved in pick-up games with his brothers!)

Horvath is schooling both Plumlees, but given what a monster Horvath is, we shouldn't read too much into this.

(This is on topic, because Miles and Mason are Marshall's brothers.)

ElSid
05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Horvath is schooling both Plumlees, but given what a monster Horvath is, we shouldn't read too much into this.

(This is on topic, because Miles and Mason are Marshall's brothers.)

Didn't Laettner also school the Plumlees last summer? Hope those guys can make the jump. Or that Hairston is surprisingly good. Or both. Plumlee production is my main source of consternation about next season.

Lord Ash
05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I am not sure that being "schooled" by the greatest of all time, while that greatest is playing on a team with the two greatest PGs in Duke history and possibly the greatest all around player of all time and Dave McClure, is something that you need to be TOO worried about.

ElSid
05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
I am not sure that being "schooled" by the greatest of all time, while that greatest is playing on a team with the two greatest PGs in Duke history and possibly the greatest all around player of all time and Dave McClure, is something that you need to be TOO worried about.

I guess when you put it that way it doesn't sound that bad.

airowe
05-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Didn't Laettner also school the Plumlees last summer? Hope those guys can make the jump. Or that Hairston is surprisingly good. Or both. Plumlee production is my main source of consternation about next season.

Laettner couldn't hold Horvath's jock in a pickup game.

CrazieDUMB
05-18-2010, 09:25 AM
This is awful - with summer barely started, I can't help but think about how much I would pay to watch Duke pickup basketball. The number is shockingly high.

Devilsfan
05-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Remember it took Zoubs three and a half years to break out. But boy was the wait ever worth it. Maybe we're expecting too much too fast.

gumbomoop
05-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Plumlee production is my main source of consternation about next season.

If the MPs, together, don't produce enough in '10-'11, Duke will lose a few games. If they produce reasonably well, Duke will lose even fewer games. If MP2 busts out, Duke will lose very, very rarely.

There is no, zero, nada reason for consternation. Mildest of concern, maybe.

Best to be of cheeriest of good cheer for remainder of off-season. Nothing but sunny skies, which sometimes affect a Carolina-blue hue, but are regularly festooned with spiffy cloud patterns that sometimes look like Duke Chapel, other times like CIS. The Lord works in mysterious ways, often with mischievous humor. How else explain '09-'10?

roywhite
05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Laettner couldn't hold Horvath's jock in a pickup game.

My question about Nick Horvath

Can he now do that Haka War Dance that the New Zealand All Black teams do in international competition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0kDxP04eI&feature=related

That would probably rattle Laettner.

Kedsy
05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
If the MPs, together, don't produce enough in '10-'11, Duke will lose a few games. If they produce reasonably well, Duke will lose even fewer games. If MP2 busts out, Duke will lose very, very rarely.

I assume you are talking about offensive production? If so, I would go even farther, in a sunshiny kind of way. Even if the MPs don't produce offensively, we will lose very, very rarely so long as they play good defense and rebound decently (I don't even think they have to be great rebounders; good will suffice). We will be a potent enough offensive team whether our bigs score or not -- how much we win will be determined by our defense.

Having said that, I expect both MPs will get an awful lot of dunk opportunities off alley-oops or drive-and-dishes. Assuming they convert most of their dunks, we probably won't have cause to complain about their scoring.

Big Pappa
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I assume you are talking about offensive production? If so, I would go even farther, in a sunshiny kind of way. Even if the MPs don't produce offensively, we will lose very, very rarely so long as they play good defense and rebound decently (I don't even think they have to be great rebounders; good will suffice). We will be a potent enough offensive team whether our bigs score or not -- how much we win will be determined by our defense.

Having said that, I expect both MPs will get an awful lot of dunk opportunities off alley-oops or drive-and-dishes. Assuming they convert most of their dunks, we probably won't have cause to complain about their scoring.

Good points. We will be running a lot but not every single possesion will be fast break. In the half-court look for Mason especially to get touches in the block and at the elbow where he can face up and make a move to the basket. He has a game very similar to McRoberts from the elbow face up.

The main thing we will need from the Plumlees is defense and rebounding. Although I think the can be semi-prolific scorers we have plenty of scoring around them and their inside presence is what really is going to count.

ElSid
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
My question about Nick Horvath

Can he now do that Haka War Dance that the New Zealand All Black teams do in international competition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd0kDxP04eI&feature=related

That would probably rattle Laettner.

Is he still playing semi / pro in NZ?

I saw a Hawkes Bay Hawks game in Napier in 2006 and even got my picture taken with the Hawks mascot, Hawky. They say "Go The Hawks!" there instead of just "Go Hawks!". Weird.

Playing pro ball in NZ would be a pretty sweet life. NZ is absolutely wonderful and probably even more so now that the US has a president that the Kiwis don't hate and project on to all Americans.

roywhite
05-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Is he still playing semi / pro in NZ?

I saw a Hawkes Bay Hawks game in Napier in 2006 and even got my picture taken with the Hawks mascot, Hawky. They say "Go The Hawks!" there instead of just "Go Hawks!". Weird.

Playing pro ball in NZ would be a pretty sweet life. NZ is absolutely wonderful and probably even more so now that the US has a president that the Kiwis don't hate and project on to all Americans.

http://www.iop.org/activity/careers/workinglife/profiles/page_34542.html

Physicist, novel writer, pro basketball player, naturalized citizen of New Zealand---yeah, Nick has had an interesting ride.

ElSid
05-18-2010, 11:20 AM
http://www.iop.org/activity/careers/workinglife/profiles/page_34542.html

Physicist, novel writer, pro basketball player, naturalized citizen of New Zealand---yeah, Nick has had an interesting ride.

fantastic, thanks for the link.

lilblue
06-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Word on the street is that this could happen soon. Anybody got any insight?!

CameronBornAndBred
06-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Word on what street?

wolfpackdevil
06-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Word on what street?

From what I have heard, and what I have read on Scout.com is that he said in an interview at the NBA top 100 camp yesterday, he has changed his mind about his recruitment and is very interested in attending Duke.

I am not 100% sure about that but from the tad info I read about it, he has Duke in sight.

G man
06-20-2010, 11:46 AM
From what I have heard, and what I have read on Scout.com is that he said in an interview at the NBA top 100 camp yesterday, he has changed his mind about his recruitment and is very interested in attending Duke.

I am not 100% sure about that but from the tad info I read about it, he has Duke in sight.

Kind of shocked it always felt like he was going somewhere else if he actually commits to Duke that would be great.

DukieInBrasil
06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Kind of shocked it always felt like he was going somewhere else if he actually commits to Duke that would be great.
Others have posited this idea and it always made sense to me, that Marshall has 2 brothers who attend Duke so there is no way that he has any shortage of info. on the team or what they think of him. In that light it makes perfect sense for the young man to invest some energy in finding out what other schools think of him. It would be great if he was so sold on Duke that he wouldn't even want to consider any other schools, but there's nothing wrong with trying to make the best decision possible.

DukieInBrasil
06-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Good points. We will be running a lot but not every single possesion will be fast break. In the half-court look for Mason especially to get touches in the block and at the elbow where he can face up and make a move to the basket. He has a game very similar to McRoberts from the elbow face up.

The main thing we will need from the Plumlees is defense and rebounding. Although I think the can be semi-prolific scorers we have plenty of scoring around them and their inside presence is what really is going to count.

I would say that the jumper from the elbow is better than Josh's was. As is Miles's. Josh wasn't very good about taking contact and finishing, I can't really say whether either of the MPs are, but in this regard I'd say they are somewhat similar to Josh.

Since this is a Marshall Plumlee thread, and since Big Pappa has thrown out the comparison to Josh McRoberts and Mason, how does the youngest MP compare? MP III seems a tad taller and more of a C than Josh was/is. Beyond that, I really don't know MP IIIs game.

CameronBornAndBred
06-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Ditto here. I guess seeing both of your brothers become national champs helps a bit, too.:D

MisterRoddy
06-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I would say that the jumper from the elbow is better than Josh's was. As is Miles's. Josh wasn't very good about taking contact and finishing, I can't really say whether either of the MPs are, but in this regard I'd say they are somewhat similar to Josh.

Since this is a Marshall Plumlee thread, and since Big Pappa has thrown out the comparison to Josh McRoberts and Mason, how does the youngest MP compare? MP III seems a tad taller and more of a C than Josh was/is. Beyond that, I really don't know MP IIIs game.

From the little Ive seen of MP3, I would compare his game maybe To Cole Aldrich. Both with more back to the basket games, both get in there hustling for rebounds, and both are shot-blockers on the defensive side. Of course, MP3 has a very long ways to go to become as skilled as Aldrich and he must add some muscle for his type of play but I think this would be a good comparison for the long-term regarding Marshall.

Big Pappa
06-20-2010, 05:19 PM
From the little Ive seen of MP3, I would compare his game maybe To Cole Aldrich. Both with more back to the basket games, both get in there hustling for rebounds, and both are shot-blockers on the defensive side. Of course, MP3 has a very long ways to go to become as skilled as Aldrich and he must add some muscle for his type of play but I think this would be a good comparison for the long-term regarding Marshall.

What have all you seen of Marshall? I have also seen very little of him, but most of what I have seen hasn't shown much of a back to the basket game. Here is a video I found of him. A couple of bttb moves at about 1:05 and 1:48. They are the same move and really aren't very effective. He is falling away toward his off-hand and pretty far away from the basket on both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRuxVh5LrWo

DreAllDay
06-20-2010, 05:20 PM
I would agree with MisterRoddy's MP3 comparison to Aldrich. I watched MP3 a little bit on ESPN in the national high school basketball basketball championship tourney(the tourney with Austin Rivers' team, Josh Hairston's team, Findlay Prep etc.) From what I saw he struggled a bit finishing and with his one on one moves in the post, granted he was facing the very best teams in the country. Marshall did rebound the ball very well and played hard every possession. He is still pretty raw in terms of his overall skill set and doesn't have the explosiveness that Mason or Miles have but given time, coaching and a solid lifting program he will be a good player.

Now obviously Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller are our highest priorities for the 2011 class as of now, so my concern is that if MP3 commits soon then would that mean we can't get both AR and QM???

Duvall
06-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Now obviously Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller are our highest priorities for the 2011 class as of now, so my concern is that if MP3 commits soon then would that mean we can't get both AR and QM???

It shouldn't. Even if there are no early departures between now and then, Duke should still have three available scholarships for the 2011-2012 season.

Jderf
06-20-2010, 06:06 PM

You might still be working with the numbers from before Felix left. I was thinking that too for a second and then I realized we'd be fine.

MisterRoddy
06-20-2010, 08:07 PM
What have all you seen of Marshall? I have also seen very little of him, but most of what I have seen hasn't shown much of a back to the basket game. Here is a video I found of him. A couple of bttb moves at about 1:05 and 1:48. They are the same move and really aren't very effective. He is falling away toward his off-hand and pretty far away from the basket on both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRuxVh5LrWo

Most of what I have seen from Marshall is the game against Austin Rivers and
Winter Park and the video you posted. Most of his offense came from offensive rebound put backs and back to the basket moves. even in the video you posted, he really only had 3 or 4 offensive clips and half of them were bttb and about half were off of offensive rebound put backs.

Here's a highlight film of Plumlee in the game I am talking about (the good AND the bad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odz-Q53VwdM

MisterRoddy
06-20-2010, 08:09 PM
It shouldn't. Even if there are no early departures between now and then, Duke should still have three available scholarships for the 2011-2012 season.

That I'm not worried about, but what I am is that this will leave us handcuffed with guards like Cook and Randall until Quincy decides.

Duke4life22
06-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Im new to this site and its my first post so I am not sure if this has already been shown but Bluedevilsreign said "Marshall Plumlee will be the next Duke basketball commitment and it should be very soon. He will joins brothers Miles and Mason." Not only is Bluedevilsreign saying this but as wolfpackdevil said Scout.com is also posting a similar type of article just not quite the guarantee Bluedevilsreign has given.
Also from what I have heard this will not affect the recruiting of Austin Rivers and QMiller the only people it will affect is Amir Williams and Anthony Davis who will not be recruited anymore.

From what I have been told though is that Plumlee is the hardest worker of the 3 and so that although he might not be the best right now he will be a better fit for Duke. Amir has been known to be lazy and take off plays, and Anthony Davis who is soft and a Ohio State and Syracuse lean.

http://twitter.com/Bluedevilsreign

uh_no
06-20-2010, 11:09 PM
anybody know if that guy is reliable????

rhcpflea99
06-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Looks like it is down to 3, Duke, UVA, and UNC.

PADukeMom
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM

I wouldn't want to be around that dining room table at Thanksgiving IF Marshall were to pick the wrong color of blue.:D

airowe
06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't want to be around that dining room table at Thanksgiving IF Marshall were to pick the wrong color of blue.:D

Considering they haven't even offered him a scholarship, I'd say he's not going to unc... :cool:

oldnavy
06-22-2010, 02:11 PM

You have to wonder about this. I mean it is not totally out of the question for brothers to choose rival schools (Paulus) but if MP3 does go to the hill I can only imagine the difficulty he will encounter from his older brothers. Also, how do mom and dad cheer during THE GAME(s) each year?

Maybe this is just his idea of a sadistic joke to get everyone stirred up?? Who knows with kids these days?

DukeBlueNV
06-22-2010, 02:27 PM

where did you see that?

cato
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
You have to wonder about this. I mean it is not totally out of the question for brothers to choose rival schools (Paulus) but if MP3 does go to the hill I can only imagine the difficulty he will encounter from his older brothers. Also, how do mom and dad cheer during THE GAME(s) each year?

Maybe this is just his idea of a sadistic joke to get everyone stirred up?? Who knows with kids these days?

Don't forget the Capels.

roywhite
06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Don't forget the Capels.

The basketball gods had their own fun with that arrangement.

As players:

Jeff Capel vs UNC 1-7
Jason Capel vs Duke 1-9

rhcpflea99
06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
where did you see that?

Three Plumlee brothers at Duke is now a distinct possibility as Christ School rising senior Marshall Plumlee whittles down his list of potential college destinations.

"It sure appears that Duke, Virginia and North Carolina are the three most serious schools that he is considering now," Greenies basketball coach David Gaines said today.

"He's met with all three head coaches (recently) and a decision is certainly going to come this summer. He won’t wait until the fall, it could come in July or Marshall might wait until early-August."

Plumlee led the Greenies (37-2) in rebounds (8.0 a game) and blocks (2.6) last season.

His list of scholarship offers includes Duke, Florida, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Purdue, Virginia and Wisconsin.

There have been indications from North Carolina coach Roy Williams that the Tar Heels could offer Plumlee before he begins his final school year at Christ School.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RrLpnHt2ov0J:blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php%3Fblog%3D15+marshall+plumlee+down+to+3&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

nmduke2001
06-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Don't forget the Capels.

The Capels are the only set of brothers that I can remember that played for opposite sides in this basketball rivalry. I’m sure there are more. However, the Capels never played against one another. As much as I would hate to see Marshall in that disgusting shade of blue, it would make for great theater. Hell, Mason might hang around until graduation just to play Marshall a few more times.

Let's hope Mason decides to stay so he can play WITH Marshall a few more times.

DukeBlueNV
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Three Plumlee brothers at Duke is now a distinct possibility as Christ School rising senior Marshall Plumlee whittles down his list of potential college destinations.

"It sure appears that Duke, Virginia and North Carolina are the three most serious schools that he is considering now," Greenies basketball coach David Gaines said today.

"He's met with all three head coaches (recently) and a decision is certainly going to come this summer. He won’t wait until the fall, it could come in July or Marshall might wait until early-August."

Plumlee led the Greenies (37-2) in rebounds (8.0 a game) and blocks (2.6) last season.

His list of scholarship offers includes Duke, Florida, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Purdue, Virginia and Wisconsin.

There have been indications from North Carolina coach Roy Williams that the Tar Heels could offer Plumlee before he begins his final school year at Christ School.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RrLpnHt2ov0J:blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php%3Fblog%3D15+marshall+plumlee+down+to+3&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Cool thanks, I was curious because I hadn't heard anything between UNC and Plumlee in quite a few months. I figured Roy had conceded that race or had just moved on to different players.

MChambers
06-22-2010, 03:00 PM

I hope this doesn't mean that other schools are funnier.

BD80
06-22-2010, 03:13 PM
The Capels are the only set of brothers that I can remember that played for opposite sides in this basketball rivalry. I’m sure there are more. However, the Capels never played against one another. As much as I would hate to see Marshall in that disgusting shade of blue, it would make for great theater. Hell, Mason might hang around until graduation just to play Marshall a few more times.

Perhaps Marshall knows he likely would not be playing against Mason. Or ...

Perhaps he had "cooled" on Duke for a while thinking Mason would be gone, but with the NC and Kyle's decision, Marshall realizes he may well have a chance to play with his brother and has refocused on Duke! unc is a fallback, where he could enjoy the rivalry without living up to expectations. Or maybe he is just a spy for Coach K.

Anyone feel like writing something for the Bleacher Report? Then we could provide a cite and everything!

scottdude8
06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I interviewed Miles for a Chronicle Article yesterday and quickly asked him about Marshall's recruitment... sounds like we may hear a decision soon.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2010/06/22/marshall-plumlee-nearing-college-decision/

Leck
06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
scottdude's interview brings up an interesting question: if mp3 commits to us, then how does that affect tyler adams' commitment, if at all, and vise-a-versa? additionally, we'd concievably have mp1, mp2, kelly, hairston startin the '11 season, add in tyler adams and possibly mp3 and things get a little crowded in the front court. this places playin time and schollies at a premium as well, especially considerin austin rivers and qm haven't made their decisions yet.

that said, although i'd love to have mp3 and tyler adams in the squad (particularly bc mason likely bolts to the league next yr as a lottery pick and miles could make solid draft headway this season), i doubt we get both.

Bluedog
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM
scottdude's interview brings up an interesting question: if mp3 commits to us, then how does that affect tyler adams' commitment, if at all, and vise-a-versa? additionally, we'd concievably have mp1, mp2, kelly, hairston startin the '11 season, add in tyler adams and possibly mp3 and things get a little crowded in the front court. this places playin time and schollies at a premium as well, especially considerin austin rivers and qm haven't made their decisions yet.

that said, although i'd love to have mp3 and tyler adams in the squad (particularly bc mason likely bolts to the league next yr as a lottery pick and miles could make solid draft headway this season), i doubt we get both.

I don't think it affects Tyler Adams' commitment at all. You think he'd pull out just because some other PF committed? He already knew we were recruited others including QM. In addition, their games are quite different. Adams is a more back to the basket banger type who gets rebounds and does all the dirty work, but needs to improve his footspeed and shooting. He's more raw in basketball skills, but certainly has the strength, wingspan, and potential. MP3, based on what I've heard, isn't like that at all and his main area of concern is strength, while his shooting and athleticism are better. So, I think they could play at the same time as they bring different things to the floor. Saying "i doubt we get both" is essentially saying "I don't we get MP3" since Tyler Adams is firmly committed to Duke based on all available info.

roywhite
06-22-2010, 04:45 PM

I doubt MP3's decision would cause Tyler Adams to go elsewhere; certainly haven't seen anything to that effect; they're both inside guys, but certainly not similar physically at this point. And MP3 knows about Adams and Duke's overall recruiting.

Hard to project rosters too far ahead these days; coaches try to get the best available players for what they consider the biggest need.

Hope to see MP3 come on board.

COYS
06-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Hard to project rosters too far ahead these days; coaches try to get the best available players for what they consider the biggest need.

To add to this point roywhite has made, it was Mason who was the highest rated NBA prospect on the Duke roster last year by the end of the season. If he has a solid season this coming year and earns a place in the first round, there's a good chance he's gone. Kyrie could be gone after a year. Can we really count on Seth staying until his senior year? Even if we were to land both Miller and Rivers, they both project as likely one and dones. Even if we are ridiculously lucky and keep Kyrie for two or more years, Seth for his remaining three years, Mason for his remaining three, and Rivers and Miller both commit and both stay for more than one year, Marshall and Adams would both almost certainly have time to develop and strut their stuff for the final two years of their eligibility, which, depending on how they view themselves as prospects, would quite possibly not be an issue for them.

DukeBlueNV
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM
if this article is legit it sounds like marshall is denying the rumors he has narrowed his list....

http://marchmadness.collegehoopsnet.com/2010/06/plumlee-denies-report-has-not-narrowed.html

honestly never heard of this blog but it was re-tweeted by a more reputable blog's twitter (wheewww). the guy says he spoke to marshall about cutting his list and unless the author is just a straight-up liar, then that stuff from earlier was just a rumor.

scottdude8
06-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I doubt MP3's decision would cause Tyler Adams to go elsewhere; certainly haven't seen anything to that effect; they're both inside guys, but certainly not similar physically at this point. And MP3 knows about Adams and Duke's overall recruiting.

Hope to see MP3 come on board.

Remember that Adams was always seen as a guy who has to develop a bit... he's going to be a beast, but don't think anyone planned on him being a huge factor in his first year. Honestly, Marshall will probably be the same... so we'll be set once the two elder Plumlees leave.

To respond to another topic of discussion, I truly feel that Marshall will come to Duke, and that Mason will stay one more year to play with both of his brothers. I interviewed Miles and Mason together at the beginning of last season, and I was struck by how close they seemed and how important family was to them. When you talk to either of the two about Marshall, they both seem so excited about the possibility of him coming to Duke... I think that will play a big role. (Plus, UVA is UVA, and Carolina hasn't even offered yet, so...)

jimsumner
06-22-2010, 05:28 PM
I would be very surprised to see Marshall Plumlee at UNC.

I do not believe there is another Jeff Capel/Jason Capel basketball analog. Other sports, yes. John Swofford's older brother played football at Duke. Bill Bunting's father and an uncle attended Duke, although neither played hoops. The Albrights were another divided family.

Bobby Hurley played against Danny and Seton Hall in the 1992 NCAAs. That was the game before the Kentucky game. By all accounts, their parents went through an agonizing evening.

COYS
06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
To respond to another topic of discussion, I truly feel that Marshall will come to Duke, and that Mason will stay one more year to play with both of his brothers. I interviewed Miles and Mason together at the beginning of last season, and I was struck by how close they seemed and how important family was to them. When you talk to either of the two about Marshall, they both seem so excited about the possibility of him coming to Duke... I think that will play a big role. (Plus, UVA is UVA, and Carolina hasn't even offered yet, so...)

Not to say that you are wrong nor to say that your reasoning makes sense, but I would say that earning an NBA paycheck instead of playing basketball in college with all of your siblings for one year doesn't mean that Mason would be putting family on the backburner. No matter how well off the family may or may not already be, having one son earning a couple million in the league for a few years can't hurt!

Osiagledknarf
06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I find this report to have a lot to be desired. First off, MP3 has been reportedly intrested in Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin as of a couple weeks ago. I would not understand what would change to have them crossed off from his list in that amount of time. I still think he is looking at those schools.

UNC has not offered MP3 a Scholarship like the other schools have that are contention and furthermore, I have not read nor heard anything about Roy Williams or anyone from UNC being in contact with the Plumlee family. I know a lot of stuff is done behind closed doors, but wouldn't you think you would hear of some contact from them?

I find this very suspect as of right now.

ACCBBallFan
06-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Good that you qualified it with "brothers" and "basketball" since Paulus brothers in bball and football and Henson siblings in UNC Men's Bball and soon to be Duke Women's Bball with Amber come to mind.

I shot the breeze with her at the Tampa airport luggage carousel a week ago when I was on way back from San Jose via DFW and she was returning from Colorado Springs Team USA tryouts on same flight. She did not seem as skinny as her brother. Kidded her about shirts in family being different shades of blue.

sagegrouse
06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
The Capels are the only set of brothers that I can remember that played for opposite sides in this basketball rivalry. I’m sure there are more. .

Jay Buckley, Duke 1961-64. BS (Duke) and PhD (Hopkins), Physics.

Brother Bruce Buckley, UNC, 1974-77. BS, Mathematics, and JD (both apparently UNC).

Smart dudes.

sagegrouse

jimsumner
06-22-2010, 08:12 PM
How could I have forgotten the Buckleys? Slap side of head.

Jay, Bruce and Jay's son Clay have seven Final Fours. Only Clay has a title, however. Of course, only Jay actually started on those teams.

Newton_14
06-22-2010, 08:32 PM
if this article is legit it sounds like marshall is denying the rumors he has narrowed his list....

http://marchmadness.collegehoopsnet.com/2010/06/plumlee-denies-report-has-not-narrowed.html

honestly never heard of this blog but it was re-tweeted by a more reputable blog's twitter (wheewww). the guy says he spoke to marshall about cutting his list and unless the author is just a straight-up liar, then that stuff from earlier was just a rumor.

So question for you and Osail Knarf. The information that Marshall is high on Duke again, will announce a decision soon, and has narrowed his choices to Duke, UVa, and unc@ch, has come from his High School coach, his brother (Miles) and his father. The info regarding the 3 choices was from his High School coach with the interest in Duke and vice versa was from Miles and Dad.

His high school coach also stated that Marshall had very recently spoken with K, roy, and Tony B. The Chronicle article authored by Scottsdude also had a direct interview with Miles.

So my question is, why would you guys dismiss all of that as "rumor" and instead put more stock in a random blog?

Wouldn't it be more reasonable that the more reliable sources are: Miles, Dad, High School Coach, Duke School Newspaper?:confused:

scottdude8
06-22-2010, 08:43 PM
So question for you and Osail Knarf. The information that Marshall is high on Duke again, will announce a decision soon, and has narrowed his choices to Duke, UVa, and unc@ch, has come from his High School coach, his brother (Miles) and his father. The info regarding the 3 choices was from his High School coach with the interest in Duke and vice versa was from Miles and Dad.

To clarify Boozer... Miles only said that Marshall was nearing a decision. He didn't mention anything about what his final list might be.

Just wanted to nip any confusion in the bud before it started...

Newton_14
06-22-2010, 08:46 PM
To clarify Boozer... Miles only said that Marshall was nearing a decision. He didn't mention anything about what his final list might be.

Just wanted to nip any confusion in the bud before it started...

Right. I pointed that out. I noted that the Duke/Uva/unc list came from the high school coach, not Miles or his dad.

I also saw an interview on the local WTVD news the Saturday Night of the recent TOC and both Miles and Perky stated that Marshall had high interest in coming to Duke.

devildeac
06-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Just love this quote from the Home Page: "it’s Duke, UVa, and – oh, dear God, no."

DukeBlueNV
06-22-2010, 09:55 PM

His high school coach also stated that Marshall had very recently spoken with K, roy, and Tony B. The Chronicle article authored by Scottsdude also had a direct interview with Miles.

So my question is, why would you guys dismiss all of that as "rumor" and instead put more stock in a random blog?

Wouldn't it be more reasonable that the more reliable sources are: Miles, Dad, High School Coach, Duke School Newspaper?:confused:

Well they guy who wrote the blog talked to Marshall this afternoon and thats what he (marshall) told the blogger. Not taking it as the gospel truth, mostly just relaying info for people who were interested. I conceded I didnt know much about the guy but I was a little suprised to hear that UNC Duke and UVA were his tops schools when all we have been hearing for the last few months was that he was mostly interested in Big 10 schools and untill recently wasnt that high on Duke.

Newton_14
06-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Well they guy who wrote the blog talked to Marshall this afternoon and thats what he (marshall) told the blogger. Not taking it as the gospel truth, mostly just relaying info for people who were interested. I conceded I didnt know much about the guy but I was a little suprised to hear that UNC Duke and UVA were his tops schools when all we have been hearing for the last few months was that he was mostly interested in Big 10 schools and untill recently wasnt that high on Duke.

Fair enough. My main point is judge the content based on the source providing it. I had never heard that unc was a possible option either, but I do take his high school coach at his word on that.

Based on everything we have heard in the last couple of weeks and the sources of that information, I would conclude that Duke is the likely leader and he may announce for Duke in the next couple of months.

I just put more faith in those sources than a blogger that Marshall may or may not know very well, and may or may not would open up fully to the blogger.

But that is just me....

Cockabeau
06-22-2010, 10:25 PM
What is Marshall's wingspan? I hear it is freaky....

roywhite
06-22-2010, 10:34 PM

He and John Henson use the same tailor.

verga
06-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't believe unc has offered Marshall, i've thought all along it would be Duke or Virginia. I think all this talk about his declaring soon started when Wisconsin got a commitment from a 6'10" kid, that plays AAU ball with Chasson Randle on the Illinois Wolves team? i believe Marshall made mention of this in an interview done a week or so ago, sorry i don't have the thread.:)

airowe
06-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Things were cleared up between Marshall and Duke during his stay with Miles following the TOC. The Duke staff doesn't give scholarship offers out to just anyone, and they are obviously very high on Marshall.

His brothers have been telling him how high they are on Duke, so it strikes me as odd that someone would question his interest level in Duke.

2 + 2 = 4

rotogod00
06-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Marshall just checked in at #34 in ESPN's updated top 100, along with this blurb:

"Marshall Plumlee has a big impact in the paint, making it tough for others to score. His ability to guard the rim without making foolish fouls and improved physicality is why he is ranked No. 34. Plus, he is scoring more and more with his back to the basket."

Indoor66
06-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Lotsssssssssss of cinderblocks.

MChambers
06-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Don't forget the mortar.

Duke79UNLV77
06-23-2010, 08:03 AM

From the episode "The Voice" on Seinfeld. I have similar feelings about cinder block references.

Kramer: Jerry, buddy, I got to tell you something. That voice is played.

Jerry: Really?

Kramer: So played.

George: I told you.

CameronBornAndBred
06-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Marshall just checked in at #34 in ESPN's updated top 100, along with this blurb:

"Marshall Plumlee has a big impact in the paint, making it tough for others to score. His ability to guard the rim without making foolish fouls and improved physicality is why he is ranked No. 34. Plus, he is scoring more and more with his back to the basket."
Cool, then we can expect more Plumlee behind the back dunks.

Class of '94
06-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Things were cleared up between Marshall and Duke during his stay with Miles following the TOC. The Duke staff doesn't give scholarship offers out to just anyone, and they are obviously very high on Marshall.

His brothers have been telling him how high they are on Duke, so it strikes me as odd that someone would question his interest level in Duke.

2 + 2 = 4

Not intentionally trying to spread rumors or unsubstantiated gossip, but can you or someone else that might be well-informed explain why there appeared to be a "cooling period" between Duke and Marshall; and what kinds of things were cleared up between Duke and Marshall that has Marshall high on Duke now. I get and understand his brothers encouraging him to go to duke; but I hope he's not high on Duke because of family pressure. I would prefer and hope that he's high on Duke because he's genuinely interested in wanting to come to Duke and play for the b-ball team.

airowe
06-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Not intentionally trying to spread rumors or unsubstantiated gossip, but can you or someone else that might be well-informed explain why there appeared to be a "cooling period" between Duke and Marshall; and what kinds of things were cleared up between Duke and Marshall that has Marshall high on Duke now. I get and understand his brothers encouraging him to go to duke; but I hope he's not high on Duke because of family pressure. I would prefer and hope that he's high on Duke because he's genuinely interested in wanting to come to Duke and play for the b-ball team.

The perception that Marshall was high on Wisconsin was fairly prevelant around the high school basketball recruiting scene. John Beilein from Michigan has been hard after Marshall for a while as well and it seemed that he was destined for one of those Big 10 schools. After Wisconsin signed a (two?) big guys for the Class of 2011 and some turmoil on the Michigan assistant coaching staff, Marshall was on campus to spend time with his brother Miles. This afforded both the staff and Marshall time sit down and see where each other were in their relationships. Now, I don't know exactly what was said during those meetings, but it appears both parties came away with a clearer understanding of their respective levels of interest. And, that interest appears to be high on both parties' behalf.

I'm not sure I understand why Marshall having his brothers' in his ear would lead directly to him making a decision that wasn't his own. A number of factors go into the decision on where a kid goes to college and if family members that are at a school where you are thinking about going and are reporting positively about their experience, that would seem to be a major factor. Miles, Marshall, Mason and their Dad have been clear in all interviews that Marshall will be making his own decision, and I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.

Cockabeau
06-23-2010, 11:47 AM
The cinderblocks thing is very original and funny but seriously does anyone have a tangible measurement? I read it somewhere and it was impressive....

airowe
06-23-2010, 12:06 PM
The cinderblocks thing is very original and funny but seriously does anyone have a tangible measurement? I read it somewhere and it was impressive....

Marshall's wingspan is not really impressive. Its just over 6'9" and he's almost 7 feet tall.

Big Pappa
06-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Great article from the Citizen Times out of Asheville about Marshall. Although it has been reported that Marshall is not saying that his list is narrowed, this article quotes his high school basketball coach,

“It sure appears that Duke, Virginia and North Carolina are the three most serious schools that he is considering now,” Greenies basketball coach David Gaines said Tuesday.

He also said of Marshall that, “He's met with all three head coaches (recently) and a decision is certainly going to come this summer. He won't wait until the fall, it could come in July or Marshall might wait until early-August.”

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100623/SPORTS0202/306230040/1002

MisterRoddy
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Great article from the Citizen Times out of Asheville about Marshall. Although it has been reported that Marshall is not saying that his list is narrowed, this article quotes his high school basketball coach,

“It sure appears that Duke, Virginia and North Carolina are the three most serious schools that he is considering now,” Greenies basketball coach David Gaines said Tuesday.

He also said of Marshall that, “He's met with all three head coaches (recently) and a decision is certainly going to come this summer. He won't wait until the fall, it could come in July or Marshall might wait until early-August.”

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20100623/SPORTS0202/306230040/1002

I think that's some of the confusion as to whether Marshal has actually narrowed down his school, in which he says he hasn't. The coach's quote say it "appears...." meaning there's been no definitive statements but that's what it looks like. Scouts and media took that and ran with it claiming that he had narrowed it down to the three, when in fact, he never had.

Big Pappa
06-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I think that's some of the confusion as to whether Marshal has actually narrowed down his school, in which he says he hasn't. The coach's quote say it "appears...." meaning there's been no definitive statements but that's what it looks like. Scouts and media took that and ran with it claiming that he had narrowed it down to the three, when in fact, he never had.

"It sure appears" sounds pretty definitive to me. This quote is also from yesterday and ran in today's paper.

MisterRoddy
06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
"It sure appears" sounds pretty definitive to me. This quote is also from yesterday and ran in today's paper.

What I meant is that there is enough leeway in that quote to argue that Marshall never actually claimed that it was down to those 3, especially if he comes out and says it himself.

FWIW, I am in the camp that believes we are well in the lead for the youngest Plumlee.

Class of '94
06-23-2010, 02:06 PM
The perception that Marshall was high on Wisconsin was fairly prevelant around the high school basketball recruiting scene. John Beilein from Michigan has been hard after Marshall for a while as well and it seemed that he was destined for one of those Big 10 schools. After Wisconsin signed a (two?) big guys for the Class of 2011 and some turmoil on the Michigan assistant coaching staff, Marshall was on campus to spend time with his brother Miles. This afforded both the staff and Marshall time sit down and see where each other were in their relationships. Now, I don't know exactly what was said during those meetings, but it appears both parties came away with a clearer understanding of their respective levels of interest. And, that interest appears to be high on both parties' behalf.

I'm not sure I understand why Marshall having his brothers' in his ear would lead directly to him making a decision that wasn't his own. A number of factors go into the decision on where a kid goes to college and if family members that are at a school where you are thinking about going and are reporting positively about their experience, that would seem to be a major factor. Miles, Marshall, Mason and their Dad have been clear in all interviews that Marshall will be making his own decision, and I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.

Got it.....Thanks Airowe for your insight.

papa whiskey
06-24-2010, 03:55 AM

Hopefully this will rub off on his two older brothers.

oldnavy
06-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Good info, but I still wonder, was there an actual "cooling" of the relationship with Duke. I just have a feeling that he has all the Duke info he needs and is "showing" more interest in other schools as he gathers info about them. I have absolutely no inside info, but just a guess that would seem to fit... Did he actually loose interest in Duke at some point or did it just seem that way?

airowe
06-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Good info, but I still wonder, was there an actual "cooling" of the relationship with Duke. I just have a feeling that he has all the Duke info he needs and is "showing" more interest in other schools as he gathers info about them. I have absolutely no inside info, but just a guess that would seem to fit... Did he actually loose interest in Duke at some point or did it just seem that way?

I don't think it was by accident that MP3 didn't even list Duke in his schools of interest in a recent interview.

Faison1
06-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I don't think it was by accident that MP3 didn't even list Duke in his schools of interest in a recent interview.

Thanks for all your great info, Airowe, on this subject and all the others. I've been clicking on your blog every once in a while, too. I hope that goes well for you in the future.

As for Marshall, I have mixed feelings about him. I would like him to come to Duke, due to my appreciation and loyalty to his brothers. On the other hand, I'd kinda also like to head in a new direction. I guess I'm feeling a bit mixed up right now. Is he a really good player? One hears all sorts of different stories.

airowe
06-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all your great info, Airowe, on this subject and all the others. I've been clicking on your blog every once in a while, too. I hope that goes well for you in the future.

As for Marshall, I have mixed feelings about him. I would like him to come to Duke, due to my appreciation and loyalty to his brothers. On the other hand, I'd kinda also like to head in a new direction. I guess I'm feeling a bit mixed up right now. Is he a really good player? One hears all sorts of different stories.

Thank you. Is Marshall a good player? Absolutely. For all of you who define your prospects by their rankings, Marshall is a Top 40 player. He has a lot of wonderful tools to work with and clearly has the will to improve and the willingness to learn (he was named a workout warrior at the recent NBAPA Top 100 camp.)

There aren't too many 7 footers that are completely developed as 16 year olds. If they are, they are almost certainly projected to be one-and-dones. Luckily for Duke, we don't need an immediate impact big man as we have a few on the roster already for '11-'12. Clearly, the staff feels like they know what they're going to get out of Marshall and vice versa. Chemistry was a major key to our run last year, don't forget that.

The areas where Marshall is the strongest (defense, tenacious rebounding, communication, and size) look to be the biggest areas of need out of that 5 spot over the next few years. We'll have plenty of elite, scoring wings to put points on the board. And those wings will draw the defense out to them, making good big men look really good. Marshall and Tyler are the kind of big men you can build around for four years and know that they will consistently improve over their four years on a Duke roster.

oldnavy
06-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Probably not. Well I hope that is all behind him and the staff. I would love to have another Plumlee to cheer for.

Is there a link to your blog?

SilkyJ
06-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Is there a link to your blog?

bottom of his signature...

oldnavy
06-24-2010, 06:35 PM
bottom of his signature...

Wow! Could it have been more obvious? Thanks for pointing my tunnel blinded self to it. :confused:

I checked it out. Nice job, I will be checking back now that I know where it is!

NSDukeFan
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
http://inside.nikebasketball.com/news/wp-content/themes/inside_bb/images/elite-youth/pdfs/rosters-amare.pdf

Marshall Plumlee 7-1 208 6’8 !” 2011

Marshall measured 7'1 in sneakers at Amare's camp. Info courtesy of Airowe's twitter. His wingspan was 6'8&1/2 which I think has been discussed earlier in this thread.

rotogod00
06-25-2010, 12:23 PM
http://inside.nikebasketball.com/news/wp-content/themes/inside_bb/images/elite-youth/pdfs/rosters-amare.pdf

Marshall measured 7'1 in sneakers at Amare's camp. Info courtesy of Airowe's twitter. His wingspan was 6'8&1/2 which I think has been discussed earlier in this thread.

7'1", 208....yikes, get that kid a burger!

Devilsfan
06-25-2010, 02:44 PM
How much does that underfed heel henson weigh?

MChambers
06-25-2010, 03:24 PM

less than 5 cinder blocks, which weigh 42.5 pounds (without mortar).

Cockabeau
06-25-2010, 03:33 PM
and with mortar?

rotogod00
06-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Nike Skills Academy Day 1 recap (ESPN):

"Plumlee's energy and effort was terrific in every drill station. He runs very well and is a much better athlete than he appears. Plumlee has good bounce, hands and touch to go along with his with skill. Plumlee appeared to be very focused as he noticeably attempted to perform every drill perfectly. Plumlee worked extremely hard and if his effort continues, he will greatly benefit from the academy."

nmduke2001
06-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Does Amere's camp teach 7-footers to avoid playing defense at all costs?

roywhite
06-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Henson was listed at 6'10" 195# last season.

Is reportedly up to 208-210# range.

Double DD
06-26-2010, 09:16 PM

That's the most severe case of T-rex arms I've ever seen in a basketball player. It makes his effective height a lot smaller than 7'1".

Cockabeau
06-26-2010, 09:30 PM
That is a crummy measurement. I am sure Marshall is a solid player and his stock is indeed on the rise but I like my big men to be long

papa whiskey
06-27-2010, 08:17 AM
That's the most severe case of T-rex arms I've ever seen in a basketball player. It makes his effective height a lot smaller than 7'1".

I seem to recall another duke recruit with bad "functional height"

DukieInBrasil
06-27-2010, 08:40 AM

great pic!!!!

DukieInBrasil
06-27-2010, 08:47 AM

just for comparison's sake, what were Z's measurements coming in? I know he was heavier, but I don't think I've ever seen his wingspan listed...
MP3 seems to be growing fast, I've seen him variously listed as 6'10.5 in older scouting comments, to 7'1 now. If he keeps this up he'll be 8'3 when he gets to school!!!

oldnavy
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
I am of the opinion that the measurements do not matter... much. If a guy is 7 foot plus, so what if his span is a little shorter than would be expected. The most pertinent question is CAN HE PLAY? We have had post players much shorter than 7 foot that were very effective. We have had 7 footers who were not that effective. Does MP3 understand the game, work hard at getting better and most importantly can he play the game? I am not going to worry very much if he has a 6'8" span or a 6'11" span. I think foot work is much more important than wing span in the post position.

rotogod00
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Note (ESPN) from Day 3 of Nike Skills Academy:

"Heading into the Amar'e Stoudemire Camp, Marshall Plumlee (Warsaw, Ind./ Christ School) already knew some of the finer points of low-post play, thanks to his coach David Gaines. However, he continued to make progress with every drill. Don't be surprised to see him playing Division I ball, like his older brothers Mason and Miles."

A misplaced comma makes it seem like he was saying he wasn't going to play Division I, but I think we can read between the lines of what he was trying to say.

striker219
06-28-2010, 01:14 AM

Fine. We get it. You like him. Heck, I like him. A lot. Been a fan since day one in all honesty. But let's be clear here.

According to the scouting services of every comedian that Hollywood has ever produced, relying on a white Jewish kid with a seven inch neck from the 'burbs of Chicago will end in nothing but heartache.

Now if you will excuse me, I have a few newspapers to read. I've been in the Amazon since mid-January, you see, studying the elusive Thorna Clarion Hart Eel, a truly fascinating subject considering their almost absolute inability to attract a mate. Anyway, I'm trying to get caught up on current events. Wrapping up March just now, actually.

Big Pappa
06-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Nice blurb about Marshall as well as little Zeller and Duece Bello.

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2010/06/28/nbpa-top-100-camp-hornets--jazz-scouting-reports.aspx

soccerstud2210
07-03-2010, 10:00 AM
per wayne gooch twitter:

"Look for Marshall Plumlee to announce his college choice early this coming week. Look for Duke to be the choice over Virginia."

slower
07-03-2010, 06:31 PM
per wayne gooch twitter:

"Look for Marshall Plumlee to announce his college choice early this coming week. Look for Duke to be the choice over Virginia."

If Wayne Gooch says it, it MUST be true!!! ;)

Oh, wait. Who is Wayne Gooch?

Ahh - I Googled him. I guess he's got some cred. Bygones.

devildeac
07-03-2010, 06:52 PM
per wayne gooch twitter:

What? No mention of the school down the road!?:D

Indoor66
07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
What? No mention of the school down the road!?:D

Are you referring to the Dump on the Hump? :o

devildeac
07-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Are you referring to the Dump on the Hump? :o

Yes. I thought they were "madly" pursuing MP3 also and figured they could "steal" him away from us or the 'Hoos (or IU or Wiscy or whatever school was the "leader" at various times in his recruitment:rolleyes:;)).

striker219
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Reports from the Adidas Invitational...

(2011) Marshall Plumlee (http://hoosierhoopsreport.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=adidas-invitational-day-1-rundown) Indiana Elite Team Indiana- Plumlee was very tough today, blocking shots and pulling down loads of rebounds. Plumlee plays very hard and will hustle for rebounds on every possession. He had a few nice offensive moves, including a nice hook shot, showing flashes of what could be a very good post player. His athleticism helps him to score around the rim, as he threw down several impressive dunks. He needs to gain more strength, as he is rather slender, but you can see the potential in Plumlee’s game.

Marshall Plumlee (http://www.umhoops.com/2010/07/07/adidas-invitational-day-1/) (2011, C) was underwhelming, especially on such a big stage, but still very active. He seemed a little thrown off his game by the physical play, but he could have just been having an off night. The 6-foot-11 junior is expected to choose between Duke, Virginia, and North Carolina (no offer) any day now.

Bsim412
07-07-2010, 04:36 PM
When will plumlee probably commit?

MisterRoddy
07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
When will plumlee probably commit?

The growing sentiment is that he will commit sometime within this or next week.

DreAllDay
07-08-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm ambivalent about MP3. Granted, he's a hard worker and a big body, but it bothers me that his wingspan is disappointing, his offensive skillz aren't quite there and that he's reportedly looked "underwhelming" against quality competition. To me he isn't a 'must get-kid,' especially given the potentially loaded 2011 r-class if we land AR and QM. I wonder how hard we'd recruit MP3 if his two older brothers weren't at Duke... It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I'd be shocked if he didn't commit to us.

fgb
07-08-2010, 01:09 AM
it would still just be weird if he were to wind up in chapel hill. i remember the entire four years that jason capel was there; i never got over just feeling sort of baffled every time i saw him play. it was a very bizarro world sort of feeling.

CEF1959
07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm ambivalent about MP3. Granted, he's a hard worker and a big body, but it bothers me that his wingspan is disappointing, his offensive skillz aren't quite there and that he's reportedly looked "underwhelming" against quality competition. To me he isn't a 'must get-kid,' especially given the potentially loaded 2011 r-class if we land AR and QM. I wonder how hard we'd recruit MP3 if his two older brothers weren't at Duke... It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I'd be shocked if he didn't commit to us.

I don't disagree with any of this. But I'd make three points:

1. It's never bad to have a 6-11 player to come in and give you quality minutes. And even with his weaknesses, he's still a very very good basketball player for whom we have room in our schollys.
2. You never know how he might develop. He may surprise big time. It wouldn't be the first time a player exceeded or disappointed expectations.
3. The publicity factor of having three Plumlee brothers on the same team for a season is worth something. It's a feel good family sort of human interest story that will garner attention. And attention like that never hurts with recruits' parents.

So, yes, I would like very much to see MP3 commit to Duke.

uh_no
07-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't disagree with any of this. But I'd make three points:

1. It's never bad to have a 6-11 player to come in and give you quality minutes. And even with his weaknesses, he's still a very very good basketball player for whom we have room in our schollys.
2. You never know how he might develop. He may surprise big time. It wouldn't be the first time a player exceeded or disappointed expectations.
3. The publicity factor of having three Plumlee brothers on the same team for a season is worth something. It's a feel good family sort of human interest story that will garner attention. And attention like that never hurts with recruits' parents.

So, yes, I would like very much to see MP3 commit to Duke.

great points, especially the last one plays into k's family environment that he panders to recruits

jjh1080
07-08-2010, 11:42 AM
great points, especially the last one plays into k's family environment that he panders to recruits

Ouch, Coach K "panders" to recruits?

What would you rather have, a 7'0" guy with a 6"8" wingspan or a 6'10" guy with a 6"10" wingspan?

What if one guy can jump 12" off the ground and the other can only jump 9" off the ground? What if one guy is an A student and the other guy is C student? What if one guy is more athletic than the other? What if one guy can score and the other guy is weak at scoring? My point is, there is more to a player than his wingspan.

To play at Duke you have to work hard and play defense. So my question is would you rather have UNC's Henson or Duke's Mason? Henson is taller and has a longer wingspan.

I don't think his wingspan is any issue.

uh_no
07-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Ouch, Coach K "panders" to recruits?

pander: to tempt with

i would say that he panders to recruits with good values by demonstrating the family atmosphere of the duke basketball program, yes

Turtleboy
07-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Pander. (http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/pander.html)

pan·der [ pándər ]

intransitive verb (past and past participle pan·dered, present participle pan·der·ing, 3rd person present singular pan·ders)
Definition:

1. indulge weaknesses: to indulge somebody's weaknesses or questionable wishes and tastes
tired of pandering to their children's demands

2. procure sexual favors: to procure sexual favors for somebody

uh_no
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
i think coach K fits the first definition quite well.....you don't think K figures out what athletes want most out of the college experience and try to show them that?

"yes kyrie irving, you can wear #1 and our goal is to play a more up tempo game this year, did i mention we have 2 of the best players in the country returning from a national championship team"

pandering isn't always bad, in fact as a persuasive individual you almost always pander

Bay Area Duke Fan
07-08-2010, 01:52 PM
i think coach K fits the first definition quite well.....you don't think K figures out what athletes want most out of the college experience and try to show them that?

"yes kyrie irving, you can wear #1 and our goal is to play a more up tempo game this year, did i mention we have 2 of the best players in the country returning from a national championship team"
pandering isn't always bad, in fact as a persuasive individual you almost always pander

Kyrie committed to Duke last October, before Coach K knew that Singler and Smith would be returning after a national championship ... unless K knew and didn't tell anyone (except Kyrie).

uh_no
07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Kyrie committed to Duke last October, before Coach K knew that Singler and Smith would be returning after a national championship ... unless K knew and didn't tell anyone (except Kyrie).

coach K knew.....he pandered to the basketball oracle to tell him

jimsumner
07-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I do not believe I have ever heard or read the word "pander" in a non-pejorative context. I do not believe it to be the best word choice in the context of Mike Krzyzewski and Duke basketball recruiting.

Cockabeau
07-08-2010, 02:25 PM
At this point some signs point to marshall being a bit of a project but I am fine with that because we have Tyler Adams. Granted TA is a bit of a project too,but his strength and rebounding blend in well with the makeup of our team.

BD80
07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
pander: to tempt with

i would say that he panders to recruits with good values by demonstrating the family atmosphere of the duke basketball program, yes

dis·in·gen·u·ous: lacking in candor; also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness