PDA

View Full Version : More transfer news

nyr484
05-01-2008, 12:45 AM
UCLA Freshman F Chace Stanback has announced he will be transferring. Stanback was ranked just about the same as TK coming out of high school.

Do all of you who were citing the TK transfer as a harbinger of doom for the Duke program feel that way about this announcement and UCLA's program?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ap-ucla-stanback&prov=ap&type=lgns

devilboomer
05-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Julian Vaughn is leaving FSU.

Shane Walker is leaving Maryland.

Vernon Macklin is leaving Georgetown.

Stuff happens.

CMS2478
05-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Julian Vaughn is leaving FSU.

Shane Walker is leaving Maryland.

Vernon Macklin is leaving Georgetown.

Stuff happens.

According to a lot of Duke fans on internet message board we should be going after all of them. Maybe we should go after that Taylor King guy that transferred too, oh wait he was on our team, uh yeah forget that bum. ;)

Edouble
05-01-2008, 10:09 AM
UCLA Freshman F Chace Stanback has announced he will be transferring. Stanback was ranked just about the same as TK coming out of high school.

Do all of you who were citing the TK transfer as a harbinger of doom for the Duke program feel that way about this announcement and UCLA's program?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ap-ucla-stanback&prov=ap&type=lgns

No. They've been to 3 straight Final Fours. It seems they know what they're doing.

For Duke though, TK transferring is just some icing on the cake for two years of poor post-season performance.

MHTorringjan
05-01-2008, 10:31 AM
No. They've been to 3 straight Final Fours. It seems they know what they're doing.

For Duke though, TK transferring is just some icing on the cake for two years of poor post-season performance.

Oh, for the love of puppies... I vaguely remember a transfer or two from Kansas a year or three ago, one of them a guy by the name of David Padgett, who seems to possibly have just finished a fairly reasonable year at Louisville. I don't think that hurt them all that much, even despite two straight years of poor postseason performance. Just let it play out and enjoy the path we take to get wherever we're going.

M.H.

BD80
05-01-2008, 10:33 AM
... Maybe we should go after that Taylor King guy that transferred too...

Who????? :D

Oh, him. We left him Miles behind.

pfrduke
05-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Please tell me this was tongue in cheek.

Lord Ash
05-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Doesn't sound tongue in cheek; instead, it is pointing out how the two situations are not similar.

Duvall
05-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Doesn't sound tongue in cheek; instead, it is pointing out how the two situations are not similar.

Not very well. Neither team's performance was affected greatly by these players who received limited minutes.

pfrduke
05-01-2008, 11:29 AM

So if we were coming off of three final fours, with the same current roster composition, the transfer of Taylor King wouldn't be a big deal, but because we've had a couple recent early exits, it shows that we don't know what we're doing?

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 12:32 PM
So if we were coming off of three final fours, with the same current roster composition, the transfer of Taylor King wouldn't be a big deal, but because we've had a couple recent early exits, it shows that we don't know what we're doing?

As with anything there are going to be the glass is half full people and the glass is half empty people. And I guess there can be people who look at an empty glass and claim it's full, and vice versa. I'm sure this thread will get moved and included in another thread, possibly the one about King transfering. But if you look at the number of guys Duke has had transfer in the last fifteen years AND certain early NBA draft guys. Well it doesn't take Ray Charles to see how there might be legs to the idea of a problem.

We all know very, very well if you don't play your butt off on defense for Coach K it wouldn't matter if you could hit nothing but net from Wallace Wade Stadium. King had range and a lot of room to grow as a player, but IMO he got in the doghouse. He got fewer minutes as the season wore on and whether it was over a personality conflict or lack of playing time he transfered. Boykins transfer was apparently family oriented. And while I was not a huge fan of Randolph or Boateng and their play, they were both still live breathing guys with height. And in those two cases they left early / transfered knowing the next season they would get more playing time due to graduation. BUT THEY LEFT ANYWAY.

You can say what you want about NBA draft speculators, but Randolph left knowing full well he wasn't going to be in the 1st round. McRoberts may have thought he would be late first round, but he took the chance instead of staying and improving his stock. You can say what you want about attitude, work ethic or whatever concerning McRoberts. But he could definately have used at least one more year in school and by God Duke could have used him last season, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. We all knew Boateng was a project when he arrived at Duke. I don't know if it says something about judging tallent or perhaps him realizing he might not be as good as advertised. But with Boateng, McRoberts and Randolph the season after they left they all could have had more playing time. And for Duke while the points per game and rebounding would vary, it was five fouls and an extra height. Even Burgess left knowing Brand was going pro and he would be called on the next season to be the main guy inside. Is it just me or can someone see how more playing time AT DUKE would be like being offered a Ferarri and the person saying, "no, I'm going to get me an AMC Pacer".

Knowing King committed so early to UCLA then backed out, it's shouldn't be a shock he might have been on the fickle side. I've seen the posts that say transfers and / or early departures at Duke are even or only slightly higher than at other schools, yada, yad, yada. What I want to know (and I guess there is no way of knowing) do these guys talk to the coaches and express their idea of transfering? (They must talk to other players about what they are thinking of doing.) Or is it more they pop into Coach K's office and let him know they ARE transfering. I realize if Coach K isn't going to promise a potential recruit X number of minutes, it's very unlikely he'd be the type to try very hard to convince a player to stay. But I have noticed over the years, right or wrong once you get in Coach K's doghouse you seldom get out of it. Sure there are players that being in the doghouse will make them work that much harder. But this generation (God that makes me sound like I'm in my 70's) often doesn't respond to criticism, being ridden and cursed out. One must remember they were the 1st generation where everyone got a ribbon at field day so no one would feel left out. And kids today get a trophy if their basketball team finishes 10th out of a ten team league.

I am not saying Coach K doesn't know what he's doing and can't learn a new thing or two. If anything this past season proved he is capable of adapting out of necessity, rethinking possible other ways of doing things and learning from other people as much as he teaches. My dad, God rest his soul; knew the only thing I would respond to to make me change my actions was stern words and perhaps a pop in the back of the head. The generation of "time out", "I'm okay you're okay" and there are no losers might need to be handled a little differently than Alarie, Dawkins, Snyder and Ferry. People have said they miss the cocky Duke swagger our teams used to have. I miss a guy like Laettner who hated to lose and would give his heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears to win. Duke has had great players since him, but I haven't seen any player with the collegiate intestinal fortitude of a Danny Manning or Laettner in a long time. (Maybe Carmello or Morrison) But I see it as a sign of the times as much as anything, times change, people change; perhaps ways of handing 18-22 year olds needs to change as well.

BD80
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
But this generation (God that makes me sound like I'm in my 70's) often doesn't respond to criticism, being ridden and cursed out. One must remember they were the 1st generation where everyone got a ribbon at field day so no one would feel left out. And kids today get a trophy if their basketball team finishes 10th out of a ten team league.

... But I see it as a sign of the times as much as anything, times change, people change; perhaps ways of handing 18-22 year olds needs to change as well.

Perhaps we need to accept that times have changed and that more kids will transfer. Look at the number of transfers this year. We are not alone. It is part of the culture now. It is not a sign that anything is wrong with the Duke program.

Comparing Duke's transfer statistics now to transfers in days past is like comparing the divorce rate of Duke grads in the last 10 years to the divorce rate 20 years prior. OH MY GOD, Duke must be doing something wrong because the divorce rate of its grads has tripled!

BTW, the glass is WAY above half full ;)

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Perhaps we need to accept that times have changed and that more kids will transfer. Look at the number of transfers this year. We are not alone. It is part of the culture now. It is not a sign that anything is wrong with the Duke program.

Comparing Duke's transfer statistics now to transfers in days past is like comparing the divorce rate of Duke grads in the last 10 years to the divorce rate 20 years prior. OH MY GOD, Duke must be doing something wrong because the divorce rate of its grads has tripled!

So what you are saying is, the fact that me and my second wife just split up a month ago and we are getting a divorce it's not my fault That I didn't do anything wrong, it's really just a sign of the times. BD80, that makes me feel a lot better. Here I was getting ready to shell out big $$$$$ for therapy but looking at it from that point of view I'm actually just transfering from wife to wife, lmao! :D

Edouble
05-01-2008, 01:01 PM

Yeah, if we'd gone to 3 Final Fours with the current roster, then losing TK would be a blip on the radar b/c we'd be returing 7 out of our top 8 players coming off of a Final Four season.

With recent early exits, TK's transfer is, as I put it "icing on the cake". Or maybe I should say, adding insult to injury. TK tansferring is not the low point of the last two seasons, but it's kinda just one more thing that makes you go ugh.

UCLA is in a completely different situation than us. For them, this transfer is a minor sniffle. It's kind of like when Andre Sweet transferred. We were in the midst of a very dominant time period and it didn't really seem like much to cough at. TK leaving after the results of the past two seasons gives me a lot more pause.

keithg
05-01-2008, 01:03 PM

BTW, the divorce is actually down from 20 years ago, but I get your point.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18600304/

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Great, now you've ruined all the good work DB80 did and I need counciling again. I was all set to spend my therapy money on a couple of lap dances.

dukelion
05-01-2008, 02:16 PM
With Hansbrough staying it really creates a log jam at the 4 and 5 spots for them.

Next year they will be 5 deep at the 4/5 spot and with Hansbrough getting 35 mins a game it will leave Thompson, Stephenson, Zeller and Davis to fight over 45 mins.

A year later they lose Hansbrough but gain the Wear twins and John Henson....meaning they will be an astonishing 7 deep at the 4/5 spot.

Even if they red-shirt someone they still will be WAY to committed in the front court.

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
With Hansbrough staying it really creates a log jam at the 4 and 5 spots for them.

Next year they will be 5 deep at the 4/5 spot and with Hansbrough getting 35 mins a game it will leave Thompson, Stephenson, Zeller and Davis to fight over 45 mins.

A year later they lose Hansbrough but gain the Wear twins and John Henson....meaning they will be an astonishing 7 deep at the 4/5 spot.

Even if they red-shirt someone they still will be WAY to committed in the front court.

I know you posted as if to say (and you may be right) UNC will have some transfers due to having too many big men. But having watched Duke last season, when they didn't have anyone to replace Shelden with against UCONN in the Final Four, when Duke had to start Greg Newton and then knowing the trouble we are having recruiting height and beef. Well let's just say it must be a nice problem to have and it doesn't sound like match ups down low will be in Duke's favor any time soon against UNC.

Edouble
05-01-2008, 02:29 PM

Hmmm, not sure if I buy that they will have transfer issues, as Quentin Thomas never transferred despit being recruited over twice. Maybe they can convince kids to stay around really well, or maybe Q is just a special case. It seems like there's no precedent to suggest that they will have transfers.

If your precedent is that we have had transfers here in Durham, I'd say that's not enough to go on. I think that Q hanging around for four years is stronger evidence that they will not have transfer problems, and that they are able to retain a deep bench of guys that could get more PT if they went elsewhere.

dw0827
05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I am not saying Coach K doesn't know what he's doing and can't learn a new thing or two. If anything this past season proved he is capable of adapting out of necessity, rethinking possible other ways of doing things and learning from other people as much as he teaches. My dad, God rest his soul; knew the only thing I would respond to to make me change my actions was stern words and perhaps a pop in the back of the head. The generation of "time out", "I'm okay you're okay" and there are no losers might need to be handled a little differently than Alarie, Dawkins, Snyder and Ferry. People have said they miss the cocky Duke swagger our teams used to have. I miss a guy like Laettner who hated to lose and would give his heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears to win. Duke has had great players since him, but I haven't seen any player with the collegiate intestinal fortitude of a Danny Manning or Laettner in a long time. (Maybe Carmello or Morrison) But I see it as a sign of the times as much as anything, times change, people change; perhaps ways of handing 18-22 year olds needs to change as well.

I am a bit confused about the point you are making in this paragraph especially as it relates to kids these days and how best to handle them. I don't want to put words in your mouth, so could you please explain what you mean a little differently?

Personally, I wouldn't coddle the current generation. Be direct, honest, set goals, demand performance, follow through on consequences . . . and if they don't like it, fine, let them transfer.

Coaching goes beyond winning ball games. Its also about making men out of boys, IMO . . . and its a mean nasty world out there and they need to be prepared for it. There are no trophies for 10th place where I work . . .

SilkyJ
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah, if we'd gone to 3 Final Fours with the current roster, then losing TK would be a blip on the radar b/c we'd be returing 7 out of our top 8 players coming off of a Final Four season.

With recent early exits, TK's transfer is, as I put it "icing on the cake". Or maybe I should say, adding insult to injury. TK tansferring is not the low point of the last two seasons, but it's kinda just one more thing that makes you go ugh.

UCLA is in a completely different situation than us. For them, this transfer is a minor sniffle. It's kind of like when Andre Sweet transferred. We were in the midst of a very dominant time period and it didn't really seem like much to cough at. TK leaving after the results of the past two seasons gives me a lot more pause.

I think this is very well put and echoes my sentiment as well.

Hmmm, not sure if I buy that they will have transfer issues, as Quentin Thomas never transferred despit being recruited over twice. Maybe they can convince kids to stay around really well, or maybe Q is just a special case. It seems like there's no precedent to suggest that they will have transfers.

If your precedent is that we have had transfers here in Durham, I'd say that's not enough to go on. I think that Q hanging around for four years is stronger evidence that they will not have transfer problems, and that they are able to retain a deep bench of guys that could get more PT if they went elsewhere.

Have to agree with you again. It sure does seem like someone is going to be unhappy, if not more than one person, but you have to look at precedent when making predictions like this. My guess is that they can keep 'em happy for 1 year when they are 5 deep in the frountcourt, but when they go to being 7 deep there, I dont see how Roy or anyone else can possibly keep them happy, unless there's something going on we dont know about.

Edouble
05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
... but when they go to being 7 deep there, I dont see how Roy or anyone else can possibly keep them happy, unless there's something going on we dont know about.

Wow, you mean like some Stepford Wives reprogramming type stuff? :eek:

I'd believe it. The whole place is like some kind of sick dream-like (nightmare) world all covered in that horrible powder blue.

BD80
05-01-2008, 03:25 PM

Cool. Thanks for the link. That is really good news. In my geographic and demographic situation, it still seems epidemic, so it is good to see the trend headed in the right direction.

The figures suggest that the Duke administration did the right thing in the seventies and really turned around that rising divorce rate of Duke graduates! Maybe we should have Coach K contact them to figure out how to curtail the transfer thing.

Jumbo
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM

This is awesome. I get to add even more names to my list and bump that thread back up. Curiously, I'm still waiting for an answer from Gary...

dukelion
05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I know you posted as if to say (and you may be right) UNC will have some transfers due to having too many big men. But having watched Duke last season, when they didn't have anyone to replace Shelden with against UCONN in the Final Four, when Duke had to start Greg Newton and then knowing the trouble we are having recruiting height and beef. Well let's just say it must be a nice problem to have and it doesn't sound like match ups down low will be in Duke's favor any time soon against UNC.

Yup their front court will be pretty solid for years but they don't get a solid wing/SG commit until 2010 (Reggie Bullock).

2009 will be a serious down year with Hansbrough, Ginyard, Green, and Ellington all gone leaving William Graves as their top wing scorer/defender.

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I am a bit confused about the point you are making in this paragraph especially as it relates to kids these days and how best to handle them. I don't want to put words in your mouth, so could you please explain what you mean a little differently?

Personally, I wouldn't coddle the current generation. Be direct, honest, set goals, demand performance, follow through on consequences . . . and if they don't like it, fine, let them transfer.

Coaching goes beyond winning ball games. Its also about making men out of boys, IMO . . . and its a mean nasty world out there and they need to be prepared for it. There are no trophies for 10th place where I work . . .

Coddle is a good word, I'm relying on your spell check abilities to make sure it's spelled right. God no, I'm not saying Duke SHOULD coddle players or Coach K should bargain with players so they won't transfer. But let's face it star athletes have always been shown favoritism in school from middle school and beyond. They are all used to getting their way and never hearing no. Think how it must have been for a freshman like King to be all everything best player in the state and on his team come to Duke last season. He was the third or lower most heralded FRESHMAN and his butt felt more pine that in his entire life. Call it ego or being a prima donna, but the guy wasn't used to playing 2nd string or 2nd fiddle to anyone. But then you can take a guy like Scheyer who started as a freshman, make him your sixth man (perhaps still should have been starting) and he thrived. You can't tell from player to player.

But it's not just athletes these days who are coddled IMO, it's all kids from the time they are in elementary school even through college. Not everyone fits the stereotype granted, but so many have a sense of entitlement because they have been given so much yet had to work for so little. (No I'm not going to start telling how I used to walk to school 10 miles every day, barefoot in the snow, up hill both ways.) But accomplisment is drilled into their brains and they aren't allowed to experience failure at anything. Graduation ceremony for kindergarten? Umm, it's kindergarten, yay you colored without going outside the lines, yay, here's your cap and gown! And in sports or any competition they know they are going to get a medal / ribbon / gold star win or lose. So what is the point of giving everything you've got or improving?

I truly believe at least lately a lot of Duke's transfers or early NBA defections came out of this mindset in todays society. I think it made some guys ignore advice to stay in school because they had only known success. And I think when the going got tough on some guys, they got going instead of toughing it out because they had experienced very little rejection or negative feedback. I am just saying this may be and IMO is part of the problem with certain transfers and early defectors. As to what Coach K and staff should do about it, you got me?? Bobby Knight was a hard pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! year after year and for a time it worked, but at some point that style of coaching stopped attracting top flight talent. Coach K has had an incredible run and will continue to rack up victories and bring in bodies. He is a hard pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!, but a kinder more gentle hard pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! than Bobby Knight. I'm not saying he should pat players on the back, rub their heads and tuck them in at bedtime. I love the way he coaches, and as stated before I respond to a good profanity laced reaming better than sugar coating any day. But I'm a different generation and I wasn't raised think I'm okay and you're okay.

Think of players that transfered and then think of players like Carawell and James who toughed it out for four years to blossom as seniors. If I'm not mistaken those two were from St. Louis and the DC area's. Places where you had to be tough, you went through trials and tribulation and you had to work before you were given anything. If anyone disagrees that's fine, but todays middle / upper class suburbs kid feels he / she is entitled to a lot more than that same kid would have 10, 20 or 30 years ago. It's made them in general softer and less able to handle setbacks and road blocks. I love the sweet finesse and instant quality game in a Grant Hill, Dunleavy or Scheyer. But I'll take the toughness of a Dockery, Wojo or James who persevered due to having come from back grounds where they were given nothing and ended up succeeding.

OK, I just read back through what I typed and it replaced a word with "potty mouth" each time. That is hillarious!!!!!!! I'm litterally holding my sides laughing. Can you imagine Coach K callig a time out and saying, "What the potty mouth are you guys doing out there"? That's not the potty mouth play I called and you potty mouth sure aren't playing defense like we potty mouth discussed in the potty mouth locker room"!!!!!! I need a box to carry with me that bleeps "potty mouth" and covers up any profanity I use. The mods don't think I use discression about what I post, but I assure you even though a situation I'm picturing in my head using the "potty mouth" censor box is hillarious I am not going into detail.

BlueintheFace
05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
OH MY... check this one out everyone. Welcome to Indiana Coach Crean!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8096300/Indiana's-Holman-to-transfer

dw0827
05-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

And I generally agree with your take on this.

If . . . and I repeat . . . if somebody transfers because he isn't getting playing time, then I'm good with it. Please, transfer. Go elsewhere and I wish you all the best. Sorry it didn't work out.

And I'm not casting aspersions at any of the guys who have transferred in recent years. I didn't know them, I don't know why they transferred, and I wish them every success.

I am of the belief that playing time is earned (in practice) . . . its not a birthright . . . its not an entitlement. If a guy isn't getting enough PT, I trust the coaching staff to have a good reason for it. I also trust the the staff hasn't lost its touch with the kids of today.

This whole transfer issue is, IMO, nonsense. As Jumbo and others have pointed out, virtually all elite programs have transfers. So what. It means nothing.

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

And I generally agree with your take on this.

If . . . and I repeat . . . if somebody transfers because he isn't getting playing time, then I'm good with it. Please, transfer. Go elsewhere and I wish you all the best. Sorry it didn't work out.

And I'm not casting aspersions at any of the guys who have transferred in recent years. I didn't know them, I don't know why they transferred, and I wish them every success.

I am of the belief that playing time is earned (in practice) . . . its not a birthright . . . its not an entitlement. If a guy isn't getting enough PT, I trust the coaching staff to have a good reason for it. I also trust the the staff hasn't lost its touch with the kids of today.

This whole transfer issue is, IMO, nonsense. As Jumbo and others have pointed out, virtually all elite programs have transfers. So what. It means nothing.

On the surface it looks like no big deal, two or three years down the road it can come back to haunt you. And truth be told I would put King transfering near the top of the ones that worry me. We all saw him play, we all know what he is capable of even though for whatever reason that play declined as the season went on. When Christian Ast transfers I say, "ehhh okay". Billy McCaffery transfers I say, "what you didn't want another ring"? King transfers and I say, "I don' want to see Nova in the NCAA tourney in a few years".

Regenman
05-01-2008, 11:59 PM

What a load of nonsense. There's quite a few separate issues here.

A) A number of those kids that transferred did squat here or at their next institution (quite a few in fact). Who analyzed their game and gave them offers? Is our scouting off?

B) Are we like every other school without an academic reputation to maintain? Are we a factory that tells kids to leave?

So why are we comparing ourselves to the herd? That's a pathetic standard.

Jumbo
05-02-2008, 12:32 AM
What a load of nonsense. There's quite a few separate issues here.

A) A number of those kids that transferred did squat here or at their next institution (quite a few in fact). Who analyzed their game and gave them offers? Is our scouting off?

B) Are we like every other school without an academic reputation to maintain? Are we a factory that tells kids to leave?

So why are we comparing ourselves to the herd? That's a pathetic standard.

"The herd?" Are you kidding me? Yeah, Duke should be held to a standard that is completely different than any program in the country. Give me a break.

Of course Duke has academic standards to uphold. What does that have to do with transfers? Regular Duke students transfer too. Duke is also recruiting elite basketball players. These kids were all top-notch high school players with high standards of their own. They want to play. If they are stuck behind the bench on a team filled with 10 other guys just as competitive, talented and smart as they are, guess what? They might choose to go somewhere else to showcase their skills. And what's wrong with that? Basketball is a full-time job for these kids in addition to going to class. Are you going to blame some of them for wanting to see time in actual games? Duke isn't the best place for everyone. Some kids realize that in high school. Other kids realize that after they've spent some time there. That's life, especially when kids are involved -- whether they're part of the "herd" or part of Duke.

Uncle Drew
05-02-2008, 06:29 AM
"The herd?" Are you kidding me? Yeah, Duke should be held to a standard that is completely different than any program in the country. Give me a break.

Of course Duke has academic standards to uphold. What does that have to do with transfers? Regular Duke students transfer too. Duke is also recruiting elite basketball players. These kids were all top-notch high school players with high standards of their own. They want to play. If they are stuck behind the bench on a team filled with 10 other guys just as competitive, talented and smart as they are, guess what? They might choose to go somewhere else to showcase their skills. And what's wrong with that? Basketball is a full-time job for these kids in addition to going to class. Are you going to blame some of them for wanting to see time in actual games? Duke isn't the best place for everyone. Some kids realize that in high school. Other kids realize that after they've spent some time there. That's life, especially when kids are involved -- whether they're part of the "herd" or part of Duke.

I agree with everything Jumbo said, Duke isn't the only school to have athletes transfer, regular students transfer too and so far the guys that transfered ended up washing out where ever they chose. And if a player is sitting behind two guys for playing time at the same position it's their perogative to hit the road if they choose.

Here's a different view most all of us can remember though. The 1999 team that lost to UCONN in the national championship was freakin' loaded. IMO one of the best teams NOT to win it all ever. That team would run other teams out of the building. Bring in five guys, take out five guys, everyone played and as long as the winning continued everyone was happy working towards a goal of a national championship. Okay I guess those days are gone for Duke and every school. But that team would try and put their scrubs in with ten minutes to go and still keep increasing the lead. There wasn't a me first attitude on that team as far as I could tell (maybe Burgess who tranfered after that season even knowing full well Brand was leaving.) and it seemed they enjoyed playing together. Imagne if Kobe Bryant had been on that team as well, or if they had all stayed to join, Boozer, Williams, Dunnleavy the next season. Can you say DREAM TEAM?

Is that type of depth, mindset and tallent even possible anymore? It seems if you had similar players these days and some were only getting 20 minutes a game you'd be getting transfers left and right, mid season transfers even. Do players all come in with the mindset to make a pitstop before heading to the NBA now? I can't stand Hansbrough, but to come back to win a Championship, like Shelden and JJ tried to do is admirable. It seems players today, come to college to show off their game so they can punch their meal ticket after a year or two. And truth be told if you have no plans to graduate, why subject yourself to the strenuous academic standards at a school like Duke? Go to Memphis for a season where you won't be distracted by classes and learning.