PDA

View Full Version : Capel vs Brey

Devildog
04-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Setting aside JD, as he has not had his opportunity till now, who is the Coach K protege with the greatest upside and/or success to date?

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I would say, without judging either's performance, that Capel is more of his father's protege than K's. While he played for K, and surely learned plenty, he coached under his dad and took over for him. I bet he listened to his dad a whole lot growing up, too.

Edouble
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Based on performance, Quin has had the most success to date, as he has made an Elite Eight appearance.

Duvall
05-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Based on performance, Quin has had the most success to date, as he has made an Elite Eight appearance.

Well, except for that whole repeatedly embarrassing the university thing.

Edouble
05-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Well, except for that whole repeatedly embarrassing the university thing.

The question was with regards to success, not overall performance. Even considering overall performance though, I'd still take Q.

davekay1971
05-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Duke's not going to touch Quin with somebody else's 10 foot pole.

I proposed Capel awhile ago and was firmly informed that the spot was JD's. I'm very interested now to see how JD does at Stanford.

If, God forbid, Coach K was to leave Duke today, I would love to see Duke go with Capel. He's proven he can game coach with whatever talent he has available at VCU, handled a terrible situation very well at Oklahoma, and is now showing some recruiting chops there as well. I see nothing but upside with him. Add to that: he's young...and if he does as well as I think he can do, he could be a fixture at Durham for decades to come.

Brey's also done well, both at Delaware and ND. There's really no downside with him, and I wouldn't be at all disappointed if he took over. Now, if Coach K keeps going another 10 years or so, which is a real possibility, Brey would probably be getting a bit long in the tooth to take over Duke.

Hot Route
05-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I am intrigued by Jeff Capel. He has done a wonderful job at OU. He would be a welcome change-of-pace in Durham.

Edouble
05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I think this thread got hijacked.

The question was about which Duke assistant has been the most successful so far, and it's just turned into another thread about who's going to take over when Coach K retires.

Capel put together a great team at VCU, that eventually beat Duke in the tourney when he was no longer there. He also took the Sooners into the tournament two years in a row but his postseason record is only 1-2 with Oklahoma.

I still don't think you an call that more successful than an Elite Eight appearance. Does everyone remember what a hot young coach Quin was about five years ago? The Tigers were looking like a Final Four team before the Ricky Clemons scandal, and they beat Kansas all the time.

Channing
05-01-2008, 10:10 AM
does Bilas count? He's been pretty successful.

Edouble
05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
does Bilas count? He's been pretty successful.

Wow, touche sir, touche!

You may be even more literal than me.

SilkyJ
05-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Duke's not going to touch Quin with somebody else's 10 foot pole.

I proposed Capel awhile ago and was firmly informed that the spot was JD's. I'm very interested now to see how JD does at Stanford.

If, God forbid, Coach K was to leave Duke today, I would love to see Duke go with Capel.

I 2nd what EDouble said. The question wasn't "who is going to replace coach K," the question is which one of his protege's (presumably meaning a former asst.). tough call, I go with Q.

Jarhead
05-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Okay, we covered all of the bases... uh, protege's. This thread must be over.

Edouble
05-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Okay, we covered all of the bases... uh, protege's. This thread must be over.

Nah, only like three people have actually addressed the original question. I'd enjoy hearing someone step up and argue for Brey, who I think has a better resume thus far than Capel.