PDA

View Full Version : Obama plays with Hansbrough

CameronBornAndBred
04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Found this vid of Sen. Obama shooting hoops (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9da_1209498973&c=1#comments) in Chapel Hell...sigh. Another strike against. Is that Reggie on the bench at the end?

OldPhiKap
04-29-2008, 05:55 PM
I have some footage of McCain playing shuffle board with Dean, but it's on a BetaMax.

BD80
04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Found this vid of Sen. Obama shooting hoops (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9da_1209498973&c=1#comments) in Chapel Hell...sigh. Another strike against. Is that Reggie on the bench at the end?

Did Hans flop trying to take a charge? We KNOW Hans traveled when he had the ball!

I have some footage of McCain playing shuffle board with Dean, but it's on a BetaMax.

You do mean cave paintings don't you? Can you see the cigarette in Dean's mouth? (He hates it when we say that :) )

ugadevil
04-29-2008, 06:22 PM
You do mean cave paintings don't you?

Aren't there scrolls about McCain playing in the U.S. Open with Bobby Jones?

bludev03
04-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Thank god i'm voting for Hillary...

Huh?
04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I know who I'm not voting for.
And his stroke is garbage.

JBDuke
04-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Let's keep this light and connect to Duke and/or Carolina hoops, please. If it sidetracks into politics, we'll have to move it to the PPB.

ugadevil
04-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Looks like Hansbrough knows nothing about national defense!

pamtar
04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Let's keep this light and connect to Duke and/or Carolina hoops, please. If it sidetracks into politics, we'll have to move it to the PPB.

Based on the link it should already be there.

brevity
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM

You make that move sound like a form of punishment.

I'm all for Obama's video-op. Young though he is, he's not going to hang in there with a bunch of college players of UNC's caliber. He managed to not look completely awful, which is all you can hope for in a senator these days.

As for the Chapel Hill location, well, why not? He's trying to get NC votes; no point playing at Duke, as the NY/NJ/PA primaries have already passed. (I strongly suspect he'll make a similar visit to Lexington in a few weeks.)

Now I look forward to Hillary Clinton paying a visit to Sylvia Hatchell, so they can compare attack strategies and outfits.

Final note: is this all a roundabout way of courting John Edwards' support or VP potential?

weezie
04-29-2008, 07:08 PM
....is this all a roundabout way of courting John Edwards' support or VP potential?

Yee gods, why do you have to bring HIS name into it? Doesn't Obama have enough to deal with? Yikes.

burnspbesq
04-29-2008, 08:08 PM
If Obama can get into the lane against Carolina, why can't Paulus?

shoutingncu
04-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I thought McCain was scrimmaging against the Bobcats so he could play against someone his own age.

VaDukie
04-29-2008, 08:36 PM
If UNC's guys stay in the draft Obama would probably get PT in their backcourt.

MrBisonDevil
04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
I though Reggie Love was Obama's workout buddy on the campaign trail. I would have loved to see Reggie play in that pickup game.

dukejunkie
04-29-2008, 11:46 PM
As for the Chapel Hill location, well, why not? He's trying to get NC votes; no point playing at Duke, as the NY/NJ/PA primaries have already passed. (I strongly suspect he'll make a similar visit to Lexington in a few weeks.)

Just wondering, are teams allowed to scrimmage with the coach on site until the end of the semester or season? I guess the rules have changed or this was taped during the season.

UrinalCake
04-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Just wondering, are teams allowed to scrimmage with the coach on site until the end of the semester or season? I guess the rules have changed or this was taped during the season.

Yeah, they were talking about this on the radio yesterday. The coach is not allowed to be present when more than four players are scrimmaging or playing pickup during the offseason. Carolina claimed that this was an "exceptional circumstance" which required Roy Williams to be present.

I personally don't think it should be a big deal, but historically the NCAA is pretty tight about its rules and likes to apply them in the absence of common sense. So we'll see what, if anything happens.

Mike Corey
04-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Here's hoping the photos of Obama visiting a UNC frat house never see the light of day.

BlueDevilJay
04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Here's hoping the photos of Obama visiting a UNC frat house never see the light of day.

And conversely, here's hoping they do! :p

BD80
04-30-2008, 08:43 AM

Was Reggie showing him around?

notacolour
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I personally don't think it should be a big deal, but historically the NCAA is pretty tight about its rules and likes to apply them in the absence of common sense. So we'll see what, if anything happens.

Today's N&O has a blurb on this, Obama game odd but OK (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/story/1055122.html):

North Carolina's men's basketball team on Tuesday had what a team official called an extraordinary chance to play basketball with presidential candidate Barack Obama.

So extraordinary that an NCAA rule appears to have been broken -- and the NCAA is apparently going to ignore it.

"This was a unique situation and not an NCAA issue," NCAA media relations director Erik Christianson said in an e-mail message to The News & Observer on Tuesday. "It certainly was a great opportunity for the student-athletes to interact with a presidential candidate."

Apparently there could technically be two issues: the coach isn't supposed to be there, and there aren't supposed to be any mandatory off-season events. I can't imagine it was too hard to get some players to show up even though it was voluntary, though.

It seems odd that Williams apparently didn't get prior approval, but at least nobody's going to make a stupid rule issue out of this. It obviously wasn't the most competitive pickup game, given that it included some old guy.

Didn't he do this at Indiana, too? I don't know if the coach was there for that one.

moonpie23
04-30-2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080430/NRSTAFF/20909270

CMS2478
04-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Over on IC they are saying that Coach K will protest, we will have meltdowns on our boards, etc. I don't see that any harm was done, if the situation were reversed I would have liked for our guys to have that opportunity and I am not an Obama supporter.

dukeENG2003
04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
the issue wasn't with the players playing the pickup game, it was with Roy being in attendance. If K had been in that position, I'm sure he would have asked first. Roy has a history of breaking rules that he thinks are insignficant. K, not so much.

notacolour
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
the issue wasn't with the players playing the pickup game, it was with Roy being in attendance. If K had been in that position, I'm sure he would have asked first. Roy has a history of breaking rules that he thinks are insignficant. K, not so much.

Eh, I'm not so sure that K or any other coach would have handled it differently. It's just not a big deal.

superdave
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Shame on DBR - this is too much! Come back from the Dark Side!

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042908aab.html#

CMS2478
04-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Eh, I'm not so sure that K or any other coach would have handled it differently. It's just not a big deal.

If you make a big deal out of this is just makes you look like a "whiny, little, rich, kid" that everyone sterotypes us to be anyway. :(

BD80
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
with the number of Secret Service personnel on site, the coach wanted to be there to make sure that everything went OK.

The Smith Center usually only sees that kind of defensive coverage once a year, when the Devils visit!

crimsonandblue
04-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Bill Self is petitioning to have Bob Dole planted beneath a baseline at Allen Fieldhouse either now or after he dies.

We can then hold "extraordinary practices" at any time we choose and with whomever in attendance we please. Recruits? Sure. Coaches? The more the merrier. Players? They have to be there. Dole's there.

jipops
04-30-2008, 09:53 PM

No, that is Sam Perkins on the bench at the end.

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2008, 09:55 PM
With the dreadlocks? Lotta hair for an old guy!

Blueequalslife23
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey everyone i just found out senator Clinton is going to play a pickup game with Duke. She swears she's going to play her best.