PDA

View Full Version : True story.

wilson
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
This weekend, I attended the wedding of a Duke classmate and close friend. About halfway through the reception, the band launched into "Rhiannon."
That's a Fleetwood Mac song.
It was very difficult to avoid throwing chairs.

colchar
04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
This weekend, I attended the wedding of a Duke classmate and close friend. About halfway through the reception, the band launched into "Rhiannon."

You mean throwing chairs in celebration?

Lavabe
04-28-2008, 04:30 PM

I'll assume that the person is no longer a close friend.;)

OldPhiKap
04-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Should have played "You Can Go Your Own Way."

Turk
04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Hmm... Fleetwood Mac has never been my cup of tea, but I wouldn't have rated "Rhiannon" an offense worthy of chair-throwing retribution... Must be a back story there somewhere...

The strangest songs that I can recall hearing at weddings (not mine!) over the years include....

"Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
"Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw"
"Love in an Elevator"
"Little Red Corvette"

Don't get me wrong; these weren't first dances or anything, and they were played later in the evening when things start getting loose... Funny how things like that stick in one's mind years later.... I'll have to see if I can remember any others...

What's on your list?

OldPhiKap
04-28-2008, 05:36 PM
"Love Shack."

Tin roof -- rusted.

wilson
04-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Should have played "You Can Go Your Own Way."

Everyone in the room Went Their Own Way. Right back to the bar to get away from that terrible choice of a wedding song.

wilson
04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Hmm... Fleetwood Mac has never been my cup of tea, but I wouldn't have rated "Rhiannon" an offense worthy of chair-throwing retribution... Must be a back story there somewhere...

Heh. You could say that...

What's on your list?

This same band also played "Free Fallin'" at one point. Don't get me wrong; I like that song. But it doesn't belong at a wedding reception.

MrBisonDevil
04-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I wanted this song, but my wife vetoed me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqiw-Kqtlr0

devildeac
04-28-2008, 06:30 PM

I just put this into my CD changer and gave it a spin-actually 2 spins. It is actually not a bad dance song. My wife and I have been taking social/ballroom dance lessons since September and if the wedding guests like to dance or have had a few lessons, you could do a 'triple step' swing dance or 'cha-cha' to this song. Of course, there are a lot of rock/pop songs you could do any number of the social dances to and look/feel comfortable that might be better than this selection.

Bostondevil
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
wilson, I've always hated Fleetwood Mac but before you think we have similar tastes in music, I LOVE 'Funkytown' by Lipps, Inc and I know all the words to 'Boogie Oogie Oogie' by A Taste of Honey. (I didn't have to look up those band names either.)

My cousin's first dance was to a Grateful Dead tune although I can't remember which one. He was a Dead Head but his new wife picked out the tune.

wilson
04-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I just put this into my CD changer and gave it a spin-actually 2 spins. It is actually not a bad dance song. My wife and I have been taking social/ballroom dance lessons since September and if the wedding guests like to dance or have had a few lessons, you could do a 'triple step' swing dance or 'cha-cha' to this song. Of course, there are a lot of rock/pop songs you could do any number of the social dances to and look/feel comfortable that might be better than this selection.

There are also many such songs that suck considerably less than anything Fleetwood Muck ever put out.

wilko
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
My wife and I had a wonder wedding and reception.
I drove to the reception in my 63 Corvette convertible. A beautiful August day in Charleston SC. The only thing i have to grip about was the DJ.

My wife and I spent some considerable time coming up with a playlist of things we wanted to hear and dance to. We knew what we wanted and knew our crowd. This freak show of a DJ totally ignores what we gave him.

The 1st dance as a married couple was to Bonnie Raitts version of "Angel from Montgomery" it has meaning to only us apparently... most were like WTF? but hey it was our day. Thats the only one we got..

Didnt hear from DJ-boy untl he wanted to know if I wanted to do a chicken dance... I took an emphatic pass on the humilating dance action. I have years of marriage for that. I was going to enjoy the reception.. :-)

Moral of the story. It my not have been a request from the wedding party.

Lavabe
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
This same band also played "Free Fallin'" at one point. Don't get me wrong; I like that song. But it doesn't belong at a wedding reception.

Sure beats "Last Dance With Mary Jane.";)

I'll give you credit Wilson. You sure do go to some wild weddings. First the Braves, now this.

Is ugadevil taking notes?

Cheers,
Lavabe

77devil
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Don't get me wrong; these weren't first dances or anything, and they were played later in the evening when things start getting loose... Funny how things like that stick in one's mind years later.... I'll have to see if I can remember any others...

What's on your list?

I knew the bride when she use to rock and roll-likely to make the bride blush if it's true.

wilson
04-28-2008, 09:18 PM
And now we have a banner ad for Fleetwood Muck ringtones. I'd rather stab a rusty nail in each eye.

DevilAlumna
04-28-2008, 11:27 PM
My wife and I had a wonder wedding and reception.
I drove to the reception in my 63 Corvette convertible. A beautiful August day in Charleston SC. ...

The 1st dance as a married couple was to Bonnie Raitts version of "Angel from Montgomery" it has meaning to only us apparently... most were like WTF? but hey it was our day. Thats the only one we got..

You were in Charleston -- what, no shag music?

And I *love* "Angel from Montgomery" -- best version I've heard was from Dave Matthews on a morning radio program in Charlottesville from 1989, but Bonnie Raitt's is good for a professionally recorded version.

blublood
04-29-2008, 09:47 AM
... I HATED our photographer. He came very highly recommended from several people, and did an o.k. job with our shots, I suppose, but if I ever see him on the street I will spit on him.

This is what happened: it's about an hour before the ceremony and I'm all decked out, ready to go, very nervous, and already exhausted from smiling and dealing with family all day. So we're about to take the bride shots with me at the front of the church, which is my home church that I grew up in and always wanted to get married in.

He takes a few stereotypical shots, and then says, "Alright now, face on. Smile!" And I was just so tired that I couldn't come up with a good smile. My friends, my bridesmaids in the pews try to help me out and one of them does a little dance that cracks me up.

Instead of just taking the picture and laughing along with our silliness, Mr. Photographer puts the camera down impatiently and goes, "No. Not a goofy smile. A real smile."

WTH??!! Who says that to someone on their wedding day?? I wanted to say, "Listen, you piece of crap, *we're* paying *you* to do your job, so how about you take some ^%^&ing pictures and not ruin the entire day?"

We never did order a wedding album, actually. I refused to give him any more of our money.

pfrduke
04-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Kanye's Gold Digger is always a funny one to hear at a wedding.

ArkieDukie
04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Kanye's Gold Digger is always a funny one to hear at a wedding.

That WOULD be a funny one to hear at a wedding. Unfortunately, I can think of some instances where it's appropriate. Love that song; it cracks me up.

Slightly off-topic: I was at my parents' house, sitting outside watching my brother's dog digging in the yard. My dad was complaining that he was trying to dig up moles. My cousin and I looked at each other, and said, in unison, "I ain't sayin' he's a mole-digger." No one else in the family got the joke.

OldPhiKap
04-29-2008, 05:32 PM
And I *love* "Angel from Montgomery" -- best version I've heard was from Dave Matthews on a morning radio program in Charlottesville from 1989, but Bonnie Raitt's is good for a professionally recorded version.

I am a huge John Prine fan, and love that song. Play it on guitar all the time. But I gotta wonder about the lyrics for a wedding:

I am an old woman named after my mother
My old man is another child thats grown old
If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire
This old house would have burnt down a long time ago

Chorus:
Make me an angel that flies from montgomry
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go

When I was a young girl well, I had me a cowboy
He werent much to look at, just free rambling man
But that was a long time and no matter how I try
The years just flow by like a broken down dam.

Repeat chorus:

Theres flies in the kitchen I can hear em there buzzing
And I aint done nothing since I woke up today.
How the hell can a person go to work in the morning
And come home in the evening and have nothing to say.

Repeat chorus:

Just sayin'.

ArnieMc
05-01-2008, 09:50 AM
At an employee's wedding, the featured song during the wedding, was "Dust in the Wind." They were right, the marriage didn't last very long.

Turk
05-01-2008, 11:55 AM
At an employee's wedding, the featured song during the wedding, was "Dust in the Wind." They were right, the marriage didn't last very long.

Must have gotten married on Ash Wednesday.... :eek:

Did they make it the whole 40 days?

Lavabe
05-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I am a huge John Prine fan, .

And as a result, we now have an ad on the side for John Prine ringtones.

Well, at least it beats the one for the Idol 8th place finisher from a couple of years ago.:p

gus
05-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Instead of just taking the picture and laughing along with our silliness, Mr. Photographer puts the camera down impatiently and goes, "No. Not a goofy smile. A real smile."

Those are the kind of pictuers I prefer. Posed wedding pictures are boring. I bet he was old school, wearing his own tux and shooting with a Mamiya or Hasselblad, right?

I'm getting married* in august, and the photography is the one aspect I felt strongest about (followed closely by food). I interviewed several photographers and explained what we wanted, looked through portfolios, talked about how they conduct themselves. They were job interviews really, and we went with a woman who understood what I wanted, and had really good stuff in her portfolio. She even let me play with some of her toys, which is a great way to make a wannabe-photog happy. If she says something like that that would so obviously upset the bride... well. I'll be shocked.

* well, recommitment ceremony and reception for everyone else. We're already married.

OldPhiKap
05-02-2008, 09:23 AM
And as a result, we now have an ad on the side for John Prine ringtones.

Well, at least it beats the one for the Idol 8th place finisher from a couple of years ago.:p

Wow. I matter. Cool.

(But if you keep mentioning "Idol" I will blame you when there is an ad for Billy Idol's "White Wedding" ring tone. Which, by the way, is also a poor choice for a wedding reception for so many different reasons.)