PDA

View Full Version : Another Shot at Gregg Doyel

DavidBenAkiva
04-27-2008, 12:56 AM
I was reading Jalopnik.com, and they has this to say about Gregg Doyel, who apparently is a racing expert:

"We all know what Pedro de la Rosa thinks about women in motorsport. Now, we've got CBS Sports' Gregg Doyel weighing in on Danica Patrick's win, proclaiming the Indy Racing League to be an inferior racing series. Most people will agree the IRL isn't the highest pinnacle of motorsports, but Doyel thinks

'the IRL is not real racing. Not real good racing, anyway. It's not the best car circuit in this country — that would be NASCAR ... what is the IRL? It's a training ground for decent drivers who hope to be good enough to race somewhere important some day ... Winning in the IRL isn't a matter of talent..."'

"Wait, what? He thinks NASCAR takes more skill? Hmm. Certainly there are some very skilled NASCAR drivers, and sure, there is competition, but it seems to us like Doyel is just shooting his mouth off. Suggesting the IRL isn't real racing, given the timing, comes across like Gregg is trying to deny Danica's skills. Which he then proceeds to do:

'The IRL is the junior varsity of racing, is what I'm saying. Danica Patrick finally won herself a JV race, and that's good for her, and it's a neat story. The first woman to do anything — the first man to do anything, too — is always cool. But let's not take this too far, OK?'

"Reading the full article, you get the feeling that Doyel doesn't think he's being sexist. Isn't that sort of like how Max Mosley doesn't think of himself as a Nazi?"

I thought that this was an interesting perspective on Doyel from a group of people used to writing about Fords and Toyotas, not Duke or Kansas.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

moonpie23
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
i would have agreed with him if he had been right.