PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins is Gone: New Stanford Coach

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Good Luck Johnny!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3368860

Indoor66
04-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Congratulations and good luck to Johnny.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 12:17 PM
This could be great for everybody-- Dawkins, Duke's future, New blood in the coaching staff. Here are a few questions...

1) What kind of hand do we think he has been dealt at Stanford?
2) Who, if anybody, will become associate head coach?
3) Will we be getting a big man to be a big man coach?
4) How does this effect the Olympics?
5) How does Coach K feel about this?
6) How does this effect next season?
7) Will we be seeing a Nate James promotion?

... thats all I can think of for now but I am sure there are many more...

Jumbo
04-26-2008, 12:21 PM
This could be great for everybody-- Dawkins, Duke's future, New blood in the coaching staff. Here are a few questions...

1) What kind of hand do we think he has been dealt at Stanford?
2) Who, if anybody, will become associate head coach?
3) Will we be getting a big man to be a big man coach?
4) How does this effect the Olympics?
5) How does Coach K feel about this?
6) How does this effect next season?
7) Will we be seeing a Nate James promotion?

... thats all I can think of for now but I am sure there are many more...

1) A really tough one.
2) Good question. I would doubt anyone would get the title.
3) What do you define as a "big man" and why would a "big man" coach "big men" more effectively?
4) I don't think JD's position on the Olympic team will affect the team's performance in any meaningful way.
5) No one knows but Coach K. I'm sure he will do everything he can to support JD, obviously.
6) It means there will be more change. Change is good, but relationships will obviously changed.
7) I will be shocked if we don't. Shocked.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 12:24 PM
7) I will be shocked if we don't. Shocked.

I agree. Although somebody brought up an interesting point about Jay Williams being interested in becoming a part of the program. Perhaps he will step in to Nate James' old roll... I'm a little skeptical, but I can see it.

Jumbo
04-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree. Although somebody brought up an interesting point about Jay Williams being interested in becoming a part of the program. Perhaps he will step in to Nate James' old roll... I'm a little skeptical, but I can see it.

Jay Williams is not in the mix. If it's not Nate, it would be Chris Spatola. But everything I've heard for a while now would indicate that Nate would get the job.

Duke09
04-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm excited about Nate on the bench. He is one of my favorite players. Very good defender, and could hit the three from the corner or get a key rebound when you needed.

Dukebacker
04-26-2008, 12:32 PM
He had a really close relationship with Nolan didn't he? I hope this doesn't effect Nolan negatively. Although, i doubt it will.

freedevil
04-26-2008, 12:35 PM
He had a really close relationship with Nolan didn't he? I this doesn't effect Nolan negatively. Although, i doubt it will.

I'm with you on this one. This question will probably come up ad nauseum on this board until such questions are affirmatively squashed.

geraldsneighbor
04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
This will work out well for Duke. It gives JD a chance to get some head coaching experience before he returns to Durham to guide the Blue Devils in about 10 or 11 seasons. Dawk deserves this alot, so I am really happy for him. He will run the program with great class while keeping them a winner.

Jumbo
04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm with you on this one. This question will probably come up ad nauseum on this board until such questions are affirmatively squashed.

No it won't, because there aren't any questions. Nolan Smith plays for Duke. And we don't allow rumor-mongering.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, I think if people are afraid that Nolan will follow Dawkins they should remember one thing. Dawkins is practically a father figure for Nolan and will want what is best for him. Dawkins knows that Nolan will be the next point guard at Duke and that he will get tons of playing time and national exposure under a great man and coach. He probably wouldn't let Nolan come to Stanford.

geraldsneighbor
04-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Nolan is a high character kid. Hes grown close with Kyle and other players so I think if this was before his freshman season it'd be more of an issue. Nolan isn't going to allow Dawk's departure to effect him when hes already playing for a pretty damn good head coach.

geraldsneighbor
04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Also, why would he want to go to Stanford, which is further from his mother and sister who live in Maryland.

hondoheel
04-26-2008, 12:43 PM
"It doesn’t make sense to us, but then again, it’s not our career: ESPN says Johnny Dawkins has accepted the Stanford job"

A ringing endorsement from the DBR! :D

kramerbr
04-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Does this affect Miles Plumlees decision to stay at Stanford?

geraldsneighbor
04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
He would have to re-sign with them now since he already had his first LOI ripped up.

bfree
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Jumbo (and others),

If you had to guess, do you ever see Jay Williams joining the program in some way? It seems to make so much sense in the world of internet prognosticators, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a quote or media report of real interest. I for one would absolutely love to see it happen, and think he belongs on the bench. It could be great for Duke and could be great for Jay. Anyway, thanks as always.

Jay Williams is not in the mix. If it's not Nate, it would be Chris Spatola. But everything I've heard for a while now would indicate that Nate would get the job.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
From what I can tell, Dawkins will have absolutely no front court and a few average senior guards. Tough road ahead...

kramerbr
04-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Hasn't JD had better openings available in the past and turned them down? Seems odd that he would want to rebuild a basketball program. I guess if anyone can do it, he can.

I hope this doesn't affect our recruiting, he seemed to be one of the best.

YmoBeThere
04-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, this kind of blows away the theory that Johnny was going to be here until Coach K retired and would be handed the job at that time...a theory I never agreed with.

Congrats to Coach Dawkins on the new job! I think that no matter the current situation at Stanford, Johnny will definitely improve them over the long run and this is actually a very good situation for him to be entering at this time.

K24U
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
1.With Lopez brothers and Plumlee gone. Not a good one.

2.I have to agree with Jumbo here. Doubt an associate coach will be named. Another assistant will be named however. I would suspect Nate James might get a shot or we could be totally surprised with someone new coming in from the Duke Family.

3.Duke already has a good one in Wojo. They just need to give him someone with enough skills to work with.

4.I really doubt any at all.

5.Word around campus is K talked him into it. Who knows for sure but JD and K.

6.Means K is going to have to teach more next year to both the players and the coach that he decides to hire. Might not be a bad thing.

7.Have to wait on that one. I would imagine Nate James would have gotten some kind idea when he was hired on the next step for him. I think K will make an announcement within the next few days if James is going to be a new assistant. If James isn’t the choice I would imagine it will take a little more time.

geraldsneighbor
04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
It would'nt be rebuilding. They have 3 starters back from a sweet 16 team. Now they did lose a couple of 7-foot twins.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Hasn't JD had better openings available in the past and turned them down? Seems odd that he would want to rebuild a basketball program. I guess if anyone can do it, he can.

I hope this doesn't affect our recruiting, he seemed to be one of the best.

1) He was a frontrunner for Georgetown before JTIII was hired. I don't think his heart was in it there.

2) From what I have heard, he has generally not been one of the best. Not to say he was awful, but Wojo and Collins have done far more recently in recruiting and been more successful. Has anybody heard otherwise?

VaDukie
04-26-2008, 12:59 PM
It gives JD a chance to get some head coaching experience before he returns to Durham to guide the Blue Devils in about 10 or 11 seasons.

I'm hesitant to make this post, but this is the attitude that got our friends 8 miles down the road into a lot of trouble when Dean retired.

BD80
04-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Well, I think if people are afraid that Nolan will follow Dawkins they should remember one thing. Dawkins is practically a father figure for Nolan and will want what is best for him. Dawkins knows that Nolan will be the next point guard at Duke and that he will get tons of playing time and national exposure under a great man and coach. He probably wouldn't let Nolan come to Stanford.

Nolan is a high character kid. Hes grown close with Kyle and other players so I think if this was before his freshman season it'd be more of an issue. Nolan isn't going to allow Dawk's departure to effect him when hes already playing for a pretty damn good head coach.

In ten or fifteen years, when Nolan's pro career is over, I am certain Johnny will welcome him on the team as an assistant coach, whether it is at Stanford or Duke!

Congrats for Johnny, I would root for him wherever he went, but this gives me even more reason to root against the other Pac 10 schools!!! Olson and Montgomery just crapped their pants a little.

This will also ramp up recruiting in the northwest. If I recall, there is a very gifted recruiter who has Duke connections and head coaching experience available - who is from the northwest - Quin is that your phone ringing?

How about Bob Bender as a potential assistant? He has Pac 10 head coaching experience.

This is great news!

Channing
04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
do you think this might affect Duke's recruitment in California? Off the top of my head, recent recruits from California are D-Marc, TK, Boykin. Do you think K may back off a little bit so that he doesnt get into recruiting battles with his protege?

Duke09
04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm hesitant to make this post, but this is the attitude that got our friends 8 miles down the road into a lot of trouble when Dean retired.

But they hired Doherty after 1 year as a head coach at ND. A track record of 5-10 years of success at Stanford would be very different. The only way you can find out if a guy can be a head coach is to watch him coach.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
do you think this might affect Duke's recruitment in California? Off the top of my head, recent recruits from California are D-Marc, TK, Boykin. Do you think K may back off a little bit so that he doesnt get into recruiting battles with his protege?

interesting question... I was thinking the same thing, but recruiting is very different from playing games. I know K doesn't like to play former players/assistants, but recruiting involves tons of coaches and isn't as black and white (i.e. win/loss) I don't think it should be an issue for K. He still loves to win doesn't he?

freedevil
04-26-2008, 01:15 PM
No it won't, because there aren't any questions. Nolan Smith plays for Duke. And we don't allow rumor-mongering.

That's the type of affirmative squashing I like.

As for the topic of this thread, best of luck JD!

Ignatius07
04-26-2008, 01:17 PM
1) He was a frontrunner for Georgetown before JTIII was hired. I don't think his heart was in it there.

2) From what I have heard, he has generally not been one of the best. Not to say he was awful, but Wojo and Collins have done far more recently in recruiting and been more successful. Has anybody heard otherwise?

I'd always read that he just didn't like recruiting as much as the other coaches. Granted, that is a pretty odd sentiment when you are a (head) basketball coach, but it doesn't mean he's bad.

He was personally involved with Gerald and Nolan's recruitment, obviously, though he did have a personal connection with both.

Jfrosh
04-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Congratulations Johnny!
I am going to miss seeing you on the Duke bench, but this will just help you on your way to coming back to the Duke bench sitting in the first chair.

watzone
04-26-2008, 01:28 PM

Johnny was interested in the Georgetown job and would have likely made the move had he been offered. He has waited for the right opportunity since that time and thinks it is Stanford.

One must keep in mind that Johnny has a large family and that they were in their pre teen and teen years. Wojo and Collins on the other hand are new Fathers and are not missed by their children while they are on the road in that they are infants.

Johnny often came in at critical moments in the process and helped with many recruits. With his family being older, he will be allowed to spend more time on the recruiting trail.

If he has his eyes set on Duke and who wouldn't, getting head coaching experience elsewhere would be good. Stanford is a good but tough opportunity and if he can get it done there, he can do so anywhere.

Knowing Johnny, I will miss him greatly and wish him the best and then some. In the end, all will work out. Up until the Stanford job came open, there were no opportunities which interested the assistants.

Wojo and Collins will carry on and Nate will join the staff. In this case, the change, as painful as it is to those who love Johnny, myself included, will be a good thing for all involved.

VaDukie
04-26-2008, 01:28 PM
But they hired Doherty after 1 year as a head coach at ND. A track record of 5-10 years of success at Stanford would be very different. The only way you can find out if a guy can be a head coach is to watch him coach.

My mistake, the point I was trying to make is that it would be foolish to assume JD would automatically come back if we asked.

watzone
04-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I'd always read that he just didn't like recruiting as much as the other coaches. Granted, that is a pretty odd sentiment when you are a (head) basketball coach, but it doesn't mean he's bad.

He was personally involved with Gerald and Nolan's recruitment, obviously, though he did have a personal connection with both.

You bring up a good point about his ties with former NBA players. This helped Duke in more than Nolan and Gerald. He played a big role in Elliot Willams reruitment too.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm excited about Nate on the bench. He is one of my favorite players. Very good defender, and could hit the three from the corner or get a key rebound when you needed.

Discussion of the possibility of Nate James on the bench as one of the coaches brings up a question. Has he completed his undergraduate degree?

freedevil
04-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Nate will join the staff.

He is a true bada**. :cool:

Edouble
04-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Wojo and Collins on the other hand are new Fathers and are not missed by their children while they are on the road in that they are infants.

That's an outdated model of thought.

Cameron
04-26-2008, 01:40 PM
You bring up a good point about his ties with former NBA players. This helped Duke in more than Nolan and Gerald. He played a big role in Elliot Willams reruitment too.

What was Johnny's connection with Williams and/or his father (was his Dad a pro?) Or was it just based on his NBA pedigree?

davekay1971
04-26-2008, 01:41 PM
J-Dawk taking on a head coaching job is exciting news. If he is, indeed, the guy to succeed Coach K, it will give him valuable head coaching experience in a major college program. Hopefully, he'll do well and still be willing to come back to Duke when Coach K retires. It will also give Duke a chance to compare him on relatively level terms with other potential head coach candidates (Jeff Capel, ?Mike Brey?, non-Dukies).

Devilsfan
04-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Good luck to a fine man. We affectionately called you, based on your answers to radio call in questions, "PC" Johnny.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 01:46 PM
So who's next? Wojo, Collins, Paulus?

kramerbr
04-26-2008, 01:46 PM
The addition of Nate James as an assitant coach would add another person with National Championship experience...which can't hurt any.

Devilsfan
04-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Wonder if he was advised to get out there and get some head coaching experience?

hondoheel
04-26-2008, 01:50 PM
What was Johnny's connection with Williams and/or his father (was his Dad a pro?) Or was it just based on his NBA pedigree?

Who has been Duke's lead recruiter with Leslie McDonald?

Edouble
04-26-2008, 01:51 PM
The addition of Nate James as an assitant coach would add another person with National Championship experience...which can't hurt any.

Do you mean another person besides Coach K? Could we get Matt D'oh? He's an awesome recruiter.

TwoDukeTattoos
04-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Ultimately, I think he will return to Duke when/if Duke offers him after K retires. Gaining head experience is great for Johnny. He wouldn't want to end up like Guthridge who was in Dean's shadow for 30 years and was then shell shocked when he took the reigns.

Stanford is probably a good choice for Johnny and Johnny is a good choice for Stanford because the two schools have similar acedemic standards. I am sure that had much to do with the mutual decision.

kramerbr
04-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Do you mean another person besides Coach K? Could we get Matt D'oh? He's an awesome recruiter.

Nate has a experience as a player on a NC team, however, Wojo and Collins were also assistants on the 01' team. So besides K, Wojo, and Collins, yes.

Inonehand
04-26-2008, 02:14 PM
we can hire someone that didn't play at Duke? That maybe has already coached somewhere else already?

watzone
04-26-2008, 02:22 PM

It was that JD played a big role in the recruitiment, but K took a special interest in this one too. JD is a fine upstanding fellow and he impressed the Williams family.

davekay1971
04-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Ultimately, I think he will return to Duke when/if Duke offers him after K retires. Gaining head experience is great for Johnny. He wouldn't want to end up like Guthridge who was in Dean's shadow for 30 years and was then shell shocked when he took the reigns.

Er...Guthridge took UNC to 2 final fours in 3 years. He didn't do squat recruiting, but he coached the players he had just fine. I don't think he was exactly shell shocked.

watzone
04-26-2008, 02:26 PM
That's an outdated model of thought.

Please elaborate if you feel the need. This is the way Duke thought about it. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that it was the case in this situation. So, I suppose your beef is with the way they did things while JD was here.

weezie
04-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Best of luck to Johnny! I'm truly going to miss seeing him smile on the bench, which was a bit rare, but always wonderful because it meant Duke had done something really right. He's an intense guy and will do well at Stanford. Palo Alto is beautiful and the weather can't be beat.
The Pac 10, eh? Kind of scary for a first head coaching job but if that boob Montgomery was able to have some success, JD will surely soar!

I predict a teary day when JD cleans out his office. He's part of the soul of Duke basketball.

May the road rise up to meet you Coach Dawkins!

geraldsneighbor
04-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't think this is it for JD at Duke. He WILL come back one dy as the HC. I'll miss him a bunch, but he isn't gone for good.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 02:53 PM
I know we all talk about this as a stepping stone to the HC job at Duke, but Johnny is going to need a little luck to go with (what I hope) is some coaching ability. So, here is hoping that he gets some great recruits to get that program back on top and lots of luck! After all, he won't be coming back if he doesn't prove himself.

Jumbo
04-26-2008, 03:07 PM
You know what will be interesting? Watching how Dawkins fills out his staff at Stanford.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 03:08 PM
You know what will be interesting? Watching how Dawkins fills out his staff at Stanford.

Great point! You think there will be any Duke faces?

Lavabe
04-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Oooh... those DBR job interview vibes strike again!

Congrats Johnny! We now have a big rooting interest in the Pac-10.

Speaking of filling up the staff, what's up with David Henderson?
Cheers,
Lavabe

JBDuke
04-26-2008, 03:17 PM

I think Johnny's going to want a couple of good recruiters. I doubt he'd go after either of the Duke assistants, but it might happen. Chris Spatola, Nate James, and Chris Carrawell are all currently affiliated with Duke's program but not full-time coaches. Any one of them might be a good pick for Johnny, although their recruiting prowess has not been established.

I'd guess that JD takes one of the five Duke associated folks mentioned above and then pulls in someone else that can bring in the talent. Another poster mentioned Quin, which would be very interesting. I wonder if Stanford would let that happen, given Quin's rep (fair or not)?

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 03:23 PM
I think it might be time for a Grant Hill retirement/new job as an assistant haha or maybe Jay Bilas is sick of announcing haha. Dawkins with Hill and Bilas ... a man can only dream

freedevil
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I think it might be time for a Grant Hill retirement/new job as an assistant haha or maybe Jay Bilas is sick of announcing haha. Dawkins with Hill and Bilas ... a man can only dream

Bilas would be sweet... to have at Duke. Or, at least just not slobbering over Hansbrough.

BCGroup
04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
And the N and O finally posts something once they had three sources confirming
it:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=dawkins_headed_to_stanford&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

dukeman28428
04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
We love Johnny and always will. He is Duke all the way and has done wonders for this University. Stanford is a good move for Johnny and his family and he will do a great job there. Of course, we hate to see him go but it is too good of an opportunity for him to turn down. Go West Johnny and do good!!! We are pulling for you and your family.

cbfx3
04-26-2008, 03:38 PM
I'd like to see C-well on the bench as well as Nate

SilkyJ
04-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, this kind of blows away the theory that Johnny was going to be here until Coach K retired and would be handed the job at that time...a theory I never agreed with.

I must admit that I subscribed to this theory, based on a question I asked K during one of the "one-on-ones" he'd have with all the tenters the night before the UNC game.

Nevertheless, it may still be true. K looks to be doing great health-wise, so I don't think its at all of a stretch to see him coaching 10+ years, 5-7 at an absolute minimum, so why not go out and have Johnny get great experience at a school/situation/program that is very similar to what he would face at Duke. Stanford is the only other top 10 academic school with big time athletics. We're certainly the only two schools in the top 10 of director's cup, which is an measurement of overall athletic performance. We're technically 11 (http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/finald1standings)
(Notre Dame is 22, and I guess I should mention USC at #5, but I don't think that situation is as much of a direct comparable)

I don't like the way DBR phrased it "doesn't make sense to us." Its a good program with some work to do, but its a great school in a similar situation with similar values, and for all we know they could have thrown a pretty big payday at him (do we know?)

Another poster mentioned Quin, which would be very interesting. I wonder if Stanford would let that happen, given Quin's rep (fair or not)?

Quinn would have to be at the top of my list. I think if Johnny "vouches" for Quinn then stanford would be fine with it. I would be shocked if he took away assistants from Duke.

SilkyJ
04-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I'd like to see C-well on the bench as well as Nate

I'm mixed on this, but I'll say I think they can both coach, the question is can they recruit, which is probably another topic we will debate for a while on the board b/c I would be pretty surprised as well if Nate doesn't get a promo.

3rd Dukie
04-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Johnny was interested in the Georgetown job and would have likely made the move had he been offered. He has waited for the right opportunity since that time and thinks it is Stanford.

One must keep in mind that Johnny has a large family and that they were in their pre teen and teen years. Wojo and Collins on the other hand are new Fathers and are not missed by their children while they are on the road in that they are infants.

Johnny often came in at critical moments in the process and helped with many recruits. With his family being older, he will be allowed to spend more time on the recruiting trail.

If he has his eyes set on Duke and who wouldn't, getting head coaching experience elsewhere would be good. Stanford is a good but tough opportunity and if he can get it done there, he can do so anywhere.

Knowing Johnny, I will miss him greatly and wish him the best and then some. In the end, all will work out. Up until the Stanford job came open, there were no opportunities which interested the assistants.

Wojo and Collins will carry on and Nate will join the staff. In this case, the change, as painful as it is to those who love Johnny, myself included, will be a good thing for all involved.

Well said, Watzone.

Living so close to Stanford, I follow them closely. I firmly believe that JD will build a very strong program. He has some athletes returning, and he will be much better at recruiting than Trent and probably even Montgomery were. I was surprised and happy to see Trent leave Stanford.

My gut instinct is that this as close to a perfect situation as JD was likely to find. He will, eventually, fit Stanford almost as well as K fits Duke. It will take some time, of course.

I am thrilled for him.

watzone
04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
I think Johnny's going to want a couple of good recruiters. I doubt he'd go after either of the Duke assistants, but it might happen. Chris Spatola, Nate James, and Chris Carrawell are all currently affiliated with Duke's program but not full-time coaches. Any one of them might be a good pick for Johnny, although their recruiting prowess has not been established.

I'd guess that JD takes one of the five Duke associated folks mentioned above and then pulls in someone else that can bring in the talent. Another poster mentioned Quin, which would be very interesting. I wonder if Stanford would let that happen, given Quin's rep (fair or not)?

I think you are about as warm as one could get. It would be a great opportunity for Spatola or CWell. My thinking is that Quinn might get a shot, but don't count out someone with Stanford or Pac 10 ties.

freedevil
04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Discussion of the possibility of Nate James on the bench as one of the coaches brings up a question. Has he completed his undergraduate degree?

I thought he graduated, and that it was Carrawell who never got his degree?

YmoBeThere
04-26-2008, 04:23 PM
I must admit that I subscribed to this theory, based on a question I asked K during one of the "one-on-ones" he'd have with all the tenters the night before the UNC game.

Nevertheless, it may still be true. so why not go out and have Johnny get great experience at a school/situation/program that is very similar to what he would face at Duke. Stanford is the only other top 10 academic school with big time athletics. We're certainly the only two schools in the top 10 of director's cup, which is an measurement of overall athletic performance.

I've always been on-board with the part that is bolded. Many were staunch in saying that Johnny would never leave and then get the head coaching job. I think he will make a very good head coach at Stanford and if he comes back to Duke. I just wasn't one to let him stay the whole time, see nothing else, and then step into the top spot.

Exiled_Devil
04-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Please elaborate if you feel the need. This is the way Duke thought about it. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that it was the case in this situation. So, I suppose your beef is with the way they did things while JD was here.

I read the original comment - that it was an outmoded/outdated view- to refer to the idea that infants won't miss their dad's on the road. And I have to say, with a 15 month old, they do miss parents when they are away.

As a parenting/family question, it is outdated. As a coaching/staffing question, it could still be de rigeur.

watzone
04-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I read the original comment - that it was an outmoded/outdated view- to refer to the idea that infants won't miss their dad's on the road. And I have to say, with a 15 mont h old, they do miss parents when they are away.

As a parenting/family question, it is outdated. As a coaching/staffing question, it could still be de rigeur.

I see. Still, Collins and Wojo have recently had kids. Dawkins had four children. Most of the time when he didm't go on the road was before woco's kids were born. Just last year he attended the Peach Jam event with Wojo. He also flew into see Williams a couple of times. So he was more active than in the past, but certainly not as active as SW and CC.

bfree
04-26-2008, 05:24 PM
but I'm going to repost this, as it wasn't answered/discussed...

Jumbo, Watzone, (and others),

If you had to guess, do you ever see Jay Williams joining the program in some way? It seems to make so much sense in the world of internet prognosticators, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a quote or media report of real interest. I for one would absolutely love to see it happen, and think he belongs on the bench. It could be great for Duke and could be great for Jay. Anyway, thanks as always.

wolfpackdevil
04-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I am very suprised with this move from J-Dawkins.

His son, Sean, who will be a sophmore at my high school next year, has basically locked up a starting spot at SG for his sophmore season.

I no that Johnny is a real family man, and I am suprised he is pulling his youngest son Aubrey out of the best middle/high school in the state (Durham Academy) and Sean a soon to be Sophmore out of Northern High.

But good luck to Johnny and his family who I will miss at Stanford

rthomas
04-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Stanford has always wanted to be the Duke of the west, both academically and athletically, much like Harvard wanted to be the Duke of the east. Now Harvard has Tommy and Stanford has Johnny.

Good luck to both throughout their career except when we play them.

sagegrouse
04-26-2008, 06:06 PM

IMHO (with me the H is always silent), Jason will one day be running a major company in corporate America. Why should he even think of playing "work-ups" on the Duke bench?

For Shane, who wasn't mentioned in the post: Is being an assistant at Duke on the trail to being President of the US of A?

sagegrouse

jimbonelson
04-26-2008, 06:43 PM
thank you Johnny Dawkins and good luck

CathyCA
04-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I no that Johnny is a real family man, and I am suprised he is pulling his youngest son Aubrey out of the best middle/high school in the state (Durham Academy) and Sean a soon to be Sophmore out of Northern High.

The two public high schools in Palo Alto are among the best in California. Both Gunn and Palo Alto High Schools made U.S. News & World Report's 2008 Gold list. If Johnny's kids go to Paly, they can hitch a ride with their dad because the school is located across the street (El Camino Real) from the athletic complex at Stanford.

It's obvious that Johnny and Tracy considered their kids' best interests in choosing Stanford. They have chosen a wonderful area with great schools and fabulous opportunities for their four children.

Congratulations to Johnny and congratulations to Stanford!

BCGroup
04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
View from SF:
"If you are small-minded enough to look for reasons to dislike Johnny Dawkins' hiring as the new Stanford men's basketball coach, here are two: Quin Snyder and Tommy Amaker.If, on the other hand, you prefer to evaluate each individual on his own merits without note of the failings of others in unrelated situations, what you get is this:An interesting hire with all the proper resume items Stanford should want in a coach."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/26/SPHJ10CILQ.DTL

TwoDukeTattoos
04-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Er...Guthridge took UNC to 2 final fours in 3 years. He didn't do squat recruiting, but he coached the players he had just fine. I don't think he was exactly shell shocked.

He did that with Dean's squad, and extremely talented squad. It was falling apart quickly, believe me.

ehdg
04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Very sorry to see Johnny D leave but this is probably a good move for him and his family. He needs to get some HC experience if he wants the job when Coach K decides to retire. Stanford is a good place for him to learn. It has the same type of standards academically as Duke and he'll be able to show that he understands what is needed at a school that values academics. If he can succeed there he'll be able to succeed here when the time comes. Good Luck Johnny we'll be pulling for you!!

wilko
04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I have sad feelings about this.

Johnny is just so cool. I will miss him. I think I'd rather Colins left. (and I like him, thats not a gripe) But Johnny was a fixture and embodied so much of whats good about Duke... I still have my Duke is Dawsome T shirt... man.

SO... who will fill his spot?
The bench will look pretty bare w/o some represetation form the class of 86 over there... David Henderson, Tommy Amaker, Jay Bilas, and Johnny have all taken turns ... (sure technically Amaker wasnt 86 but he was SO critical he gets grandfathered in).. Any Chance Mark Alarie wants to Dabble as a coach?

Actually it wouldnt break my heart if we brought in some new blood who hasnt been sipping from the blue cool aid... I think there is something to be said for a fresh perspective. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Best of Luck Johnny!
We will miss you. Thanks for everything. Anytime you want to come back you have a home, at least in the hearts of every Duke fans.

`

Lavabe
04-26-2008, 08:40 PM
SO... who will fill his spot?
The bench will look pretty bare w/o some represetation form the class of 86 over there... David Henderson, Tommy Amaker, Jay Bilas, and Johnny have all taken turns ... (sure technically Amaker wasnt 86 but he was SO critical he gets grandfathered in).. Any Chance Mark Alarie wants to Dabble as a coach?

A certain Mr. Laettner is on record in a recent radio interview as being interested in getting some coaching experience.

Cheers,
Lavabe

watzone
04-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Jason is trying to find his way in life. Basketball will always be a huge part of it. My feeling is that he needs some seasoning but more importantly desire to become a coach. Unlike, Wojo, Collins and James, he has some NBA money to play with. I certainly think he could coach, but I am not certain that is where his mind or heart is at now. Duke generally promotes within and there is little reason to think James would not be a good coach. There is interest from the likes of Ro McLeod who is working with high school kids in the Atlanta area, but IMO, James will likely be the man.

watzone
04-26-2008, 08:50 PM
A certain Mr. Laettner is on record in a recent radio interview as being interested in getting some coaching experience.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Alarie has already dabbled as a coach at Navy. I would be all for Laettner in any capacity. I do think he'd be a better coach than recruiter though.

Jamie Spatola has shown signs of promise as well. Duke has plenty of options for sure.

DukeDevilDeb
04-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Alarie has already dabbled as a coach at Navy. I would be all for Laettner in any capacity. I do think he'd be a better coach than recruiter though.

Jamie Spatola has shown signs of promise as well. Duke has plenty of options for sure.

You do mean Chris Spatola, rather than Jamie, don't you? :confused: No matter how much influence Coach K has, I doubt it's enough to hire his daughter as a men's basketball coach!

watzone
04-26-2008, 09:01 PM
You do mean Chris Spatola, rather than Jamie, don't you? :confused: No matter how much influence Coach K has, I doubt it's enough to hire his daughter as a men's basketball coach! LOL! Indeed. Debbie would be first in line anyhow;)

mcdukie
04-26-2008, 09:15 PM
I just wish Johnny all the luck in the world. I think it is a good move for him to get some HC experience; K could coach for who knows how long. For me, being from the DC area, Johnny was a big part in me becoming a die-hard Duke fan. Stanford is now my second favorite team!!!!

billybreen
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow! That's what I get for not checking the news today. Best of luck to JD.

Saratoga2
04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
He has been a loyal coach and player all these years and I wish he the very best as he moves forward with his career.

billybreen
04-26-2008, 09:23 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

Yeah, we need a guard coach (Wojo already has the big men covered). :)

freedevil
04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
But Coach K had some great things to say about JD in the article from GoDuke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1448632).

Most notably:

“In my 28 years at Duke, no one did more to build our program as a player, coach or a person than Johnny Dawkins. He is as responsible as anyone for the success we’ve had for more than two decades,” said Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. “Johnny is certainly ready to become a head coach at a high level, and that is exactly the opportunity he’s been presented. He will identify completely with what Stanford does, both in the classroom and on the court, and will maintain its strong basketball tradition. This is a great fit for both Stanford and Johnny."

gep
04-26-2008, 09:44 PM
1. I'm very happy for JD... I think Stanford will be a great opportunity for him. Stanford, after all, is not an also-ran, bottom-feeder program... and Stanford did beat our 2001 NC, if I recall correctly. They have been up and down, and hopefully JD can instill a program to keep them more up and less down.

2. I'm also somewhat sad that I won't be seeing JD next to Coach K. To me, they came together as a pair... at least since I've been closely following Duke over the recent past.

3. Finally, even if it means that JD doesn't come back to Duke, I would like to see him succeed in building an elite, class program at Stanford... like what Coach K did for Duke. I think we all win if JD succeeds :)

p.s. at least now, instead of just rooting against UCLA, I've got a vested interest in a Pac-10 team to root for:D

Verga3
04-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Great guy, great family. JD will always make Duke proud. He is a complete class act, role model and leader of young people. Stanford doesn't yet fully know how fortunate they are to call JD a member of their family. I think the Farm will be a terrific fit.

We're very happy and very sad.......All the best, Johnny.

ricks68
04-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Good luck JD. We'll miss ya.

ricks

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 10:22 PM
at least now, instead of just rooting against UCLA, I've got a vested interest in a Pac-10 team to root for:D

This is SOOOO true. Before I was just rooting for Herb out of sympathy cause I think he is a great coach without the flash (I still believe that), but now I have a Pac-10 team to root for against UCLA and everyone else.

My "Favorite Teams in BCS Conferences List" just got bigger
ACC- Duke (obviously and always until I die)
Big East- ND
Big12- Oklahoma
Pac-10- Stanford

Now all we need is for Collins to turn Northwestern into a powerhouse and Wojo to do the same at Vanderbilt. (I chose those two because they are the academic powerhouses in those conferences and Collins is from Chicago)

ArkieDukie
04-26-2008, 10:25 PM
First off, congrats to Johnny D. Nothing but best wishes for a very successful stint as Stanford's head coach. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for him. Here's hoping that numerous Pac 10 championships are in his future!

I'd love to see Nate on the Duke Bench. I have always loved his intensity. If that's the choice, welcome aboard, Nate!

In terms of other possibilities, what about Bobby Hurley? Seems like I've heard him say that he would like to go onto coaching. In terms of court vision, Bobby Hurley was one of the most gifted players I have ever seen. If he could find a way to bottle that vision and pass it on to the current generation of players, that could only be a good thing - regardless of position.

Somehow I can't see Christian Laettner coaching. I don't know why. I have no basis for knowing whether or not he would have an aptitude for it.

gofurman
04-26-2008, 10:34 PM
First off, congrats to Johnny D. Nothing but best wishes for a very successful stint as Stanford's head coach. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for him. Here's hoping that numerous Pac 10 championships are in his future!

I'd love to see Nate on the Duke Bench. I have always loved his intensity. If that's the choice, welcome aboard, Nate!

In terms of other possibilities, what about Bobby Hurley? Seems like I've heard him say that he would like to go onto coaching. In terms of court vision, Bobby Hurley was one of the most gifted players I have ever seen. If he could find a way to bottle that vision and pass it on to the current generation of players, that could only be a good thing - regardless of position.

Somehow I can't see Christian Laettner coaching. I don't know why. I have no basis for knowing whether or not he would have an aptitude for it.

worry that nolan might leave with JD? I hope not - I know he was big in Nolan coming to Duke... I would think Nolan is in prime position with Paulus gone after this year

Skitzle
04-26-2008, 10:36 PM
worry that nolan might leave with JD? I hope not - I know he was big in Nolan coming to Duke... I would think Nolan is in prime position with Paulus gone after this year

I'll make the argument that Nolan is in a prime position even with Paulus on the team this year.

gep
04-26-2008, 11:06 PM
anyone else... worry that nolan might leave with JD? I hope not - I know he was big in Nolan coming to Duke...

As another poster said that while JD was instrumental in getting Nolan to come to Duke, JD would also probably be instrumental in getting Nolan to *stay* at Duke... with his potential at Duke and of course, Coach K is still there:cool: I think that JD has so much class, that he would not try to raid the Duke staff, let alone the players...

willywoody
04-26-2008, 11:20 PM
As another poster said that while JD was instrumental in getting Nolan to come to Duke, JD would also probably be instrumental in getting Nolan to *stay* at Duke... with his potential at Duke and of course, Coach K is still there:cool: I think that JD has so much class, that he would not try to raid the Duke staff, let alone the players...

i do believe one of the duke coaching fold will accompany JD to stanford. that's not a bad thing at all. whether it's a current assistant or one of the other staff we'll just have to wait and see. i'm so happy for JD and hope he is very successful out west.

ice-9
04-27-2008, 12:19 AM
This is kind of cool...

Stanford was one of the teams I usually liked to root against given the two heartbreak losses we had with them when I was an undergrad at Duke. So even when I attended Stanford for grad school it always felt weird to cheer them on.

But now with JD at Stanford and Montgomery at Cal...Go Cards! Go to hell California, go to hell! :)

BCGroup
04-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Although I will miss seeing him on our bench, I wish Johnny all the best!!

Saratoga2
04-27-2008, 07:52 AM
We will be in the market for a new assistant coach. I for one hope that we find a black coach with a background from a good academic institution. I think of our home grown Jay Williams as being a good Duke product and a cerebral guy with a great background. If someone from Duke is not avaiable, I would assume there are plenty of qualified candidates that could help us as Johnny did in the past.

YmoBeThere
04-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Now all we need is for Collins to turn Northwestern into a powerhouse and Wojo to do the same at Vanderbilt. (I chose those two because they are the academic powerhouses in those conferences and Collins is from Chicago)

As a Vandy alum for my Masters(Duke undergrad), I think it interesting to note that they have been to more Sweet Sixteen's in the last two years than Duke has. While somewhat inconsistent over the last five years, two Sweet Sixteen appearance in that time hardly suggests Vandy is waiting for a white knight coach to come riding in to rescue the program. Stanford is in a similar situation. Now, Northwestern is an entirely different story.

BCGroup
04-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Several articles talk about that the pay at Stanford is low, especially given the cost of living. Does anyone have an idea of the range of pay? What exactly is low?

Lavabe
04-27-2008, 09:10 AM
While talking with devildeac last night, several names we kept in mind for asst coaching at either Duke or Stanford included:

1) Jay Williams: Needs an asst position to get into coaching.
2) Christian Laettner: In an earlier radio interview, he hinted very strongly that he wanted to coach. Given the endless threads about needing a physically big big man coach, this might work. Arkie: Listening to him on the interview, the guy has seriously developed an attitude ideal for coaching. I also think about another big man with attitude (Jeff Ruhland), and think that Christian could be REALLY good at this. Devildeac wondered whether or not his business interests preclude him from going into coaching.
3) Coach Bad A..: Can you imagine what Nate can do to influence attitude on a team?
4) Robert Brickey (devildeac's suggestion): Coached at Shaw. Overlapped with JD at least one year.
5) C-well: OOh ... ah!
6) David Henderson: Head coached at Delaware for a bit, but IIRC, his last season or two didn't go well. Would love to see him catch a break with former teammate JD, or back home at Duke. What's been going on with him?
7) Patrick Davidson: NAHHH ... I'm not being serious with this one.

Last I heard, Sean Dockery is still in the D-League, and I can't recall any statements from him about coaching.

ArkieDukie: I really wouldn't think Hurley would be up for it, as his success in horse racing seems to be his focus for now.

Vince Taylor: He is already an assistant coach with Tubby Smith at Minnesota (http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1096685). Hard to believe he'd make a lateral move.

It's fun to think about. With JD's move, opportunities open up for a number of folks.
Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueintheFace
04-27-2008, 11:04 AM
While talking with devildeac last night, several names we kept in mind for asst coaching at either Duke or Stanford included:

2) Christian Laettner: In an earlier radio interview, he hinted very strongly that he wanted to coach. Given the endless threads about needing a physically big big man coach, this might work. Arkie: Listening to him on the interview, the guy has seriously developed an attitude ideal for coaching. I also think about another big man with attitude (Jeff Ruhland), and think that Christian could be REALLY good at this. Devildeac wondered whether or not his business interests preclude him from going into coaching.
3) Coach Bad A..: Can you imagine what Nate can do to influence attitude on a team?
4) Robert Brickey (devildeac's suggestion): Coached at Shaw. Overlapped with JD at least one year.
6) David Henderson: Head coached at Delaware for a bit, but IIRC, his last season or two didn't go well. Would love to see him catch a break with former teammate JD, or back home at Duke. What's been going on with him?

Last I heard, Sean Dockery is still in the D-League, and I can't recall any statements from him about coaching.

ArkieDukie: I really wouldn't think Hurley would be up for it, as his success in horse racing seems to be his focus for now.

Vince Taylor: He is already an assistant coach with Tubby Smith at Minnesota (http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1096685). Hard to believe he'd make a lateral move.

It's fun to think about. With JD's move, opportunities open up for a number of folks.
Cheers,
Lavabe

GREAT LIST GUYS... I really like Brickey or Henderson (or both) to Stanford!

I also think you can basically pencil in Nate James here at Duke.

Son of Mojo
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
First I have to throw my congrats to JD though obviously the last thing I wanted or expected was that he'd be leaving. But the two names I thought of instantly as replacements were Laettner and JWill but Nate or CWell would work well too. I read somewhere too about potentially having Mike Jarvis.....very good pick but wasn't part of the reason he was out at St. Johns involve recruiting violations? My memory's fuzzy right now (only been awake about an hour) so if I'm wrong there please someone correct me.

Bluedog
04-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Well, first congrats to JD and I obviously wish him the best at Stanford. According to the San Francisco Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/27/SPVJ10CIIJ.DTL), his contract is reportedly a four- or five-year deal worth around $600,000 a year. I'd imagine he was getting paid something very close to that or even more at Duke. So, clearly this wasn't for the money - not that I was expecting it to be.

ice-9
04-27-2008, 12:05 PM
I read somewhere that JD was in charge of player development. If we were to replace that functionality...without knowing anything more than surface level, I would say Laettner seems like a better choice than Nate James. The former has deep knowledge of the NBA, experience as the "man" in college, versatile skill set (wing and post), and the resume to command immediate respect. I'm sure James will do an admirable job if selected, but he does not have the same credentials.

Then again, if James is able to make personal connections with players in ways that Laettner cannot, maybe James would be the more suitable candidate.

BlueintheFace
04-27-2008, 12:28 PM
I read somewhere that JD was in charge of player development. If we were to replace that functionality...without knowing anything more than surface level, I would say Laettner seems like a better choice than Nate James. The former has deep knowledge of the NBA, experience as the "man" in college, versatile skill set (wing and post), and the resume to command immediate respect. I'm sure James will do an admirable job if selected, but he does not have the same credentials.

Then again, if James is able to make personal connections with players in ways that Laettner cannot, maybe James would be the more suitable candidate.

I really don't think it would be prudent to have an all white coaching staff for a number of reasons these days... most important of which is recruiting.

Toss in the fact that Nate James is already in the program and behind that bench every game. I just can't see it being anybody else...

JasonEvans
04-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Well, first congrats to JD and I obviously wish him the best at Stanford. According to the San Francisco Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/27/SPVJ10CIIJ.DTL), his contract is reportedly a four- or five-year deal worth around $600,000 a year. I'd imagine he was getting paid something very close to that or even more at Duke. So, clearly this wasn't for the money - not that I was expecting it to be.

I don't think NCAA rules would allow Duke to pay our assistants nearly that much. While I am sure there was ways big-program assistants get supplemental income, I suspect JD was not making anywhere close to $600k/year at Duke.

I would add that income probably does not matter all that much to JD, as he earned well over $10-million during his NBA career and probably invested it wisely.

--Jason "$600k is nothing to sneeze at" Evans

colchar
04-27-2008, 12:38 PM
We will be in the market for a new assistant coach. I for one hope that we find a black coach with a background from a good academic institution. I think of our home grown Jay Williams as being a good Duke product and a cerebral guy with a great background. If someone from Duke is not avaiable, I would assume there are plenty of qualified candidates that could help us as Johnny did in the past.

Why does it have to be a black coach (or a white one for that matter)? Why not just hire the most qualified person regardless of race?

Indoor66
04-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't think NCAA rules would allow Duke to pay our assistants nearly that much. While I am sure there was ways big-program assistants get supplemental income, I suspect JD was not making anywhere close to $600k/year at Duke.

I would add that income probably does not matter all that much to JD, as he earned well over $10-million during his NBA career and probably invested it wisely.

--Jason "$600k is nothing to sneeze at" Evans

Only a highy paid media type could say that $600k "income does not matter all that much to JD...." :) He could think about his children and grandchildren as well.

colchar
04-27-2008, 12:40 PM
I came to this story (and thread) late and must say I was shocked at the news. I had always thought JD would stay at Duke abd take over for K when he retired. I thought that would have made for a perfect transition and would have continued the traditions built up over the K era. I wish JD well, but am still really surprised by this.

JasonEvans
04-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Regarding the talk that Nolan might follow JD, I think the odds of that are so tiny as to be not worth discussing. No way would Johnny encourage anyone currently at Duke to leave the program to follow him.

Another item-- I think it is extremely unlikely that JD brings Collins or Wojo with him to Stanford. The Duke coaching staff committed to K to stay in place this summer while K works with the Olympic team. I am sure K figured that Stanford was too good an opportunity for JD to turn down so he let him go but I doubt K is going to want more coaching transition this summer while his attentions are divided. It is not like moving from assistant at Duke to assistant at Stanford is a step up for Collins or Wojo anyway.

I am betting that JD fills out his assistant coaching positions with just one Duke connection (not sure who it might be, but Laettner would be an interesting choice). JD is going to need someone who knows Stanford and the Pac 10 as part of his staff so I bet he retains at least one of the current assistants (I have not checked to see if any of them went to LSU).

--Jason "best of luck to one of my favorite all-time Dukies!! Stanford just became my 2nd favorite team!" Evans

Saratoga2
04-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Why does it have to be a black coach (or a white one for that matter)? Why not just hire the most qualified person regardless of race?

In the area of recruiting, it has to help to show that the staff has racial balance. In addition, I think in this day and age, there are many qualified black coaches that should be getting more opportunity.

Jumbo
04-27-2008, 12:51 PM

Because, sadly, teams are recruiting in a country that still has strong racial issues. You may not think it matters, but in some cases it really does. Again, I wish this were not true.

Festus13
04-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I would have to totally disagree with the racial issues. Just because other universities play their own version of the 'race card' doesn't mean that all universities need stoop so low. The best man for the particular job is the only way to get the best coach for any university.

BlueintheFace
04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Also, when parents send away their kids, they often want a strong role model or two on the coaching staff, and the parents of some young black players want to see a smart black man who their child can take after and who has the experience to help their kid develop in the basketball world. This is the way of the world... like it or not.

Jumbo
04-27-2008, 01:41 PM
I would have to totally disagree with the racial issues. Just because other universities play their own version of the 'race card' doesn't mean that all universities need stoop so low. The best man for the particular job is the only way to get the best coach for any university.

No one is suggesting that Duke should "play the race card." No one is suggesting Duke hire an unqualified coach. But given certain unfortunate circumstances, it would be beneficial for Duke to have a good assistant coach who happens to be African-American. Just out of curiosity, do you have any familiarity with how the recruiting game is being played right now?

bfree
04-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I agree.

I would also point out that it wouldn't just be "negative" recruiting. Every single interview you read with a recruit who just announced a school includes a line like, "I just felt comfortable there... with the staff, the facilities, the team, with everything." And it is just a fact of life that many people feel more comfortable when they feel like they are around people they can relate to on a personal level.

No one is suggesting that Duke should "play the race card." No one is suggesting Duke hire an unqualified coach. But given certain unfortunate circumstances, it would be beneficial for Duke to have a good assistant coach who happens to be African-American. Just out of curiosity, do you have any familiarity with how the recruiting game is being played right now?

Truth
04-27-2008, 02:05 PM

I'm torn on this issue. While I agree with Jumbo that it would be beneficial for Duke to have a quality assistant coach who happens to be African-American, I also feel that the best candidate should be hired regardless of race. The point that needs to be emphasized here is that these two sentiments are not mutually exclusive.

That said, I am curious as to whether race will be used as a criteria, as opposed to a bonus, during the selection process. If it is a criteria, I'm not sure I would necessarily agree with that approach, at least not without knowing more about recruiting travails and further understanding why a given race is a 'must-have.'

Jumbo / Others -- can you elaborate on some of the unfortunate circumstances within the recruiting world today where Duke would be best-served by having an African-American assistant coach?

(Hopefully this post doesn't venture too far into the PPB domain...)

Jumbo
04-27-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm torn on this issue. While I agree with Jumbo that it would be beneficial for Duke to have a quality assistant coach who happens to be African-American, I also feel that the best candidate should be hired regardless of race. The point that needs to be emphasized here is that these two sentiments are not mutually exclusive.

That said, I am curious as to whether race will be used as a criteria, as opposed to a bonus, during the selection process. If it is a criteria, I'm not sure I would necessarily agree with that approach, at least not without knowing more about recruiting travails and further understanding why a given race is a 'must-have.'

Jumbo / Others -- can you elaborate on some of the unfortunate circumstances within the recruiting world today where Duke would be best-served by having an African-American assistant coach?

In the end, it's simply a matter of human nature in a lot of cases. And you're right, we're venturing too far into PPB domain. I'm happy to start a thread there where we can discuss race and basketball. The last thing I want anyone to think is that Nate James would get the job "because he is black." Nate James will get the job because he has worked for it, is a leader, is loved by the kids on the team already and is a major badass. That he happens to add some diversity to the staff is a bonus.

freedevil
04-27-2008, 02:15 PM

It'd be pretty easy for me to imagine any program in a recruiting battle against Duke discussing how Duke (whether WE believe it to be true or not), relative to say a big public school like a Texas or Florida, has (1) few African Americans in its student body in general, (2) few African Americans on its basketball team, and (3) no African Americans on its coaching staff.

If I'm an African American, whether this is pointed out to me in a subtle or even an overt way, I would have to think about this.

I think the point Jumbo and others are making, and that I agree with, is that this sort of thing (1) goes on, (2) sucks, and (3) Duke should probably hire an African American at Duke so this is (4) a non-issue.

Indoor66
04-27-2008, 02:17 PM
In the end, it's simply a matter of human nature in a lot of cases. And you're right, we're venturing too far into PPB domain. I'm happy to start a thread there where we can discuss race and basketball. The last thing I want anyone to think is that Nate James would get the job "because he is black." Nate James will get the job because he has worked for it, is a leader, is loved by the kids on the team already and is a major badass. That he happens to add some diversity to the staff is a bonus.

I agree with your post here. To me the race of the coach is irrelevant, as is his religion or is school of origin (IMO). I am concerned with quality as a man, coach and then other issues. If the first two are, basically, equal among candidates, then a diversity of staff issue can be a tilting factor. The diversity gained is a desirable bonus.

Bluedawg
04-27-2008, 02:24 PM

Now, let's please consider this issue permanently and affirmatively squashed!

Bluedawg
04-27-2008, 02:30 PM

Not what I've heard, but what I read.

Taking the Stanford job will be a major change for Dawkins. He was not heavily involved in the traveling side of recruiting at Duke, although he was instrumental in bringing current Blue Devils guards Gerald Henderson and Nolan Smith into the program.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1051675.html

Bluedawg
04-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Fathers and are not missed by their children while they are on the road in that they are infants.

Sorry, can't agree with this statement. Infants still miss fathers.

BD80
04-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I read somewhere that JD was in charge of player development. If we were to replace that functionality...without knowing anything more than surface level, I would say Laettner seems like a better choice than Nate James.

Remember who is in charge of the program: a graduate of West Point and executive-in-residence with The Fuqua School of Business and founder of the Fuqua/Coach K Center of Leadership & Ethics. He is training ALL of his Assistants to be head coaches (and more). Wojo and Collins will assume Johnny D's responsibilities and Nate (probably) will move up the totem pole.

We should also start offering Shelden a coaching spot, and continue offering every chance we get. Hopefully he and Candace can produce more Duke players than even the Plumlees!

BD80
04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
It'd be pretty easy for me to imagine any program in a recruiting battle against Duke discussing how Duke (whether WE believe it to be true or not), relative to say a big public school like a Texas or Florida, has (1) few African Americans in its student body in general, (2) few African Americans on its basketball team, and (3) no African Americans on its coaching staff.

If I'm an African American, whether this is pointed out to me in a subtle or even an overt way, I would have to think about this.

I think the point Jumbo and others are making, and that I agree with, is that this sort of thing (1) goes on, (2) sucks, and (3) Duke should probably hire an African American at Duke so this is (4) a non-issue.

I hear that Wojo explored pigmentation alteration, but that he has had too many floor burns (98.7% of his body) and the result would be too splotchy. Chris Collins was immediately rejected as a candidate due to excess freckling (no one wants to risk another Dennis Johnson fiasco). :rolleyes:

Looks like we are "stuck" with Nate and his BAD I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. attitude - I love it! I think his personality and intensity are perfect for an assistant. I also think I would like the type of recruit Nate would connect with!

However, we may need someone who can help regulate intensity. Johnny D. may have been the calming influence on the bench.

freedevil
04-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Looks like we are "stuck" with Nate and his BAD I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. attitude - I love it! I think his personality and intensity are perfect for an assistant. I also think I would like the type of recruit Nate would connect with!

I went with the typing of 'I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.' in an earlier thread to express my appreciation for the badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ery of Nate James, to try and not make this Board any less of a family atmosphere.

But then I noticed Jumbo just straight up call him a badass, and I think that's the best way to go about it - the guy is the man and no toning his badassness down should be allowed. So I think this Board should allow the use of the term 'I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.', when used as an adjective for Nate James, to be fully spelled out. :D

BD80
04-27-2008, 04:23 PM
... Jumbo just straight up call him a badass, and I think that's the best way to go about it - the guy is the man and no toning his badassness down should be allowed. So I think this Board should allow the use of the term 'I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.', when used as an adjective for Nate James, to be fully spelled out. :D

Nate James is a BADASS

I say it louder

3rd Dukie
04-27-2008, 04:29 PM
The two public high schools in Palo Alto are among the best in California. Both Gunn and Palo Alto High Schools made U.S. News & World Report's 2008 Gold list. If Johnny's kids go to Paly, they can hitch a ride with their dad because the school is located across the street (El Camino Real) from the athletic complex at Stanford.

It's obvious that Johnny and Tracy considered their kids' best interests in choosing Stanford. They have chosen a wonderful area with great schools and fabulous opportunities for their four children.

Congratulations to Johnny and congratulations to Stanford!

What you say is absolutely correct. Additionally, the Menlo School is one of the more highly regarded private prep schools in the country. Paly was in the state championship hoops game in their division, IIRC, but I don't they won. This was about 2 years ago. Regardless, the educational and athletic opportunities out here are plentiful.

wisteria
04-27-2008, 07:03 PM
An interesting article (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/27/SPVJ10CIIJ.DTL) on Dawkins move.

It quoted JWill who almost broke into tear when he heard the news.

The article focuses on JD's reputation in player development, which already seems to have won over some recruits.

Also mentions Dawkins' pay is believed to be around 600K a year.

sbduke
04-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I am not trying to rain on the Nate James parade but this coaching vacancy does offer the team a chance to move beyond the guards, guards, guards, all the time guards situation we've been in forever. The recent big guys on the team love Wojo as a coach but, even they understand there is a certain innate level of karma to being a big guy that you don't tap into unless you are one.
I think Gminski would agree. The fact that Coach K doesn't see this as a way to broaden the excellence of the coaching staff bespeaks his guard perspective.

Festus13
04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Has anyone thought that with the elevation of JD to a head coaching position after so many years as K's assistant we now have a signal from K that his end is near? I have to believe that the ONLY reason for JD to be leaving is to gain the necessary experience to take over for K ---- sooner than any of us realize. He's got the talent in every area --- he only needs to prove it with experience --- and he's a very strong candidate to become what many would like to see --- the first black head coach of Duke University Basketball. Who else would deserve that honor more than JD?

Truth
04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
I am not trying to rain on the Nate James parade but this coaching vacancy does offer the team a chance to move beyond the guards, guards, guards, all the time guards situation we've been in forever. The recent big guys on the team love Wojo as a coach but, even they understand there is a certain innate level of karma to being a big guy that you don't tap into unless you are one.
I think Gminski would agree. The fact that Coach K doesn't see this as a way to broaden the excellence of the coaching staff bespeaks his guard perspective.

Unfortunately, this discussion is not "novel" at all on these boards. Do a quick search and you'll find lots of discussion on this point already.

Countering questions to your post:

If the big guys love Wojo as the big man coach, why change it?
Do you have any actual support for your statement about former players (quotes, articles, anecdotes, anything?) that would indicate they agree with your karma reference and would have preferred an actual "big man" to be their coach?
Do you find it at all interesting that perhaps the WORLD'S BEST BIG MAN COACH, Pete Newell, is 6'2?

Karl Beem
04-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Has anyone thought that with the elevation of JD to a head coaching position after so many years as K's assistant we now have a signal from K that his end is near? I have to believe that the ONLY reason for JD to be leaving is to gain the necessary experience to take over for K ---- sooner than any of us realize. He's got the talent in every area --- he only needs to prove it with experience --- and he's a very strong candidate to become what many would like to see --- the first black head coach of Duke University Basketball. Who else would deserve that honor more than JD?

Absolutely! Why shouldn't we aspire to be, say, Iowa St.

Truth
04-27-2008, 08:18 PM

An interesting observation. It would not surprise me at all if Coach K and JD were executing a phase of Duke's basketball succession plan. To my knowledge, there has been no public recognition of a succession plan being in place, but I would not doubt that K, Alleva, etc have a framework established. It is a valuable artifact that many business enterprises and sports programs typically produce. The key is establishing a sufficiently flexible arrangement that can adapt to varying circumstances over time while ensuring the best interests of business / program are upheld.

I just hope that this is a very early phase of the plan and that K intends to stick around for many, many, many more years. I struggle to even fathom Duke without K...

sbduke
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
I am merely suggesting that broadening the background of the coaching staff beyond "all guards, all the time" might possibly enhance Duke's ability to maximize the talents of all the players who come through K's system which has obviously been super successful but each year is a new challenge. Personal conversations with Shelden Williams and Patrick Johnson and a longtime friend of Gminski. All of us want nothing but the finest results for Duke basketball.

colchar
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
I struggle to even fathom Duke without K...

So do I but, if it were JD taking over from him, I'd be absolutely fine with it.

Lavabe
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Nate James is a BADASS

I say it louder

I'd like to edit an earlier post in this thread:
Assistant Coach BADASS

WOW! It feels good saying it.:D

Let's hope it becomes true.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Truth
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
I am merely suggesting that broadening the background of the coaching staff beyond "all guards, all the time" might possibly enhance Duke's ability to maximize the talents of all the players who come through K's system which has obviously been super successful but each year is a new challenge. Personal conversations with Shelden Williams and Patrick Johnson and a longtime friend of Gminski. All of us want nothing but the finest results for Duke basketball.

I'm in agreement that we all want nothing but the best. Additionally, if K decided that he wanted a true big man on the staff to take over Wojo's responsibilities in that area, I would be okay with that as well. That said, I also think that if K felt that Wojo was deficient in his big-man coaching abilities or was somehow detrimental to big-man recruiting, that this issue would have already been addressed. I also wanted to dispel the notion that Wojo is somehow lacking the ability to coach post players simply because of his height (or lack thereof).

BlueintheFace
04-27-2008, 08:43 PM
I'd like to edit an earlier post in this thread:
Assistant Coach BADASS

WOW! It feels good saying it.:D

Let's hope it comes true.
Cheers,
Lavabe

I have a proposition!

Should James get the job, when referring to him in an official manner, all must use the name "COACH BADASS" or "ASSISTANT COACH BADASS." Other acceptable names are "Nate Badass" and "Nate 'Badass' James." And then there is always "The Badass" (to be reserved for special instances of badassery... as in "did you se THE BADASS clock Seth Greenberg after he pushed one of our players? That was crazy")

...a humble suggestion for consideration haha

Truth
04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
So do I but, if it were JD taking over from him, I'd be absolutely fine with it.

Me too, although I do think JD would have to polish up his PR and public-speaking capabilities. While these are definitely secondary to coaching performance, I do think they are required skillsets for a highly visible position such as Duke basketball coach.

Additionally, I could also see Wojo as an eventual K successor. There's just a certain fire in that kid...

If I recall correctly, JD is 19 years younger than K: K being 61 and JD being 42. If we are fortunate enough to get 10 more years from K, JD would be a mature 52 when Duke comes calling. Seems feasible to me...

FireOgilvie
04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Hypothetically....

If Dawkins does not succeed at Stanford and gets fired after 5 or so years, would we still want him to take over for Coach K?

I say no.

EDIT: I really hope that this is not the case. It's hypothetical and also not out of the question.

sbduke
04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm in agreement that we all want nothing but the best. Additionally, if K decided that he wanted a true big man on the staff to take over Wojo's responsibilities in that area, I would be okay with that as well. That said, I also think that if K felt that Wojo was deficient in his big-man coaching abilities or was somehow detrimental to big-man recruiting, that this issue would have already been addressed. I also wanted to dispel the notion that Wojo is somehow lacking the ability to coach post players simply because of his height (or lack thereof).
I know this issue has been covered before but we haven't had many vacancies on the coaching staff until now. Wojo has significant ability with the big guys. This is not a knock on him. Dawkins' departure presents an opportuniity to expand the talents of the staff. I think this issue is a blind spot with Coach K and that he doesn't address it because he doesn't see it. Granted, he's won a lot more games than I have.

Karl Beem
04-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I know this issue has been covered before but we haven't had many vacancies on the coaching staff until now. Wojo has significant ability with the big guys. This is not a knock on him. Dawkins' departure presents an opportuniity to expand the talents of the staff. I think this issue is a blind spot with Coach K and that he doesn't address it because he doesn't see it. Granted, he's won a lot more games than I have.

I gather you're saying something negative about Coach K, but I have no idea what it is.

:confused:

Jumbo
04-27-2008, 09:14 PM

I'm curious as to why you're lumping Nate James into a group that included Dawkins, Wojo and Collins. Granted, he played some "2" at Duke, but he is a very different player. He was a strong, physical, 6'6" player. He mixed it up plenty down low. I'll also completely dispute the idea that ex-bigs coach current bigs better than shorter coaches. Some of the best "big man coaches" ever were guards.

Wander
04-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Hypothetically....

If Dawkins does not succeed at Stanford and gets fired after 5 or so years, would we still want him to take over for Coach K?

I say no.

EDIT: I really hope that this is not the case. It's hypothetical and also not out of the question.

This is why I think it's a very good thing for JD to leave Duke. In the long run, of course.

moonpie23
04-27-2008, 09:54 PM
from my son and me, the very best wishes.

this sentiment expires immediately upon any Duke / Stanford game. :D

gep
04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
An interesting observation. It would not surprise me at all if Coach K and JD were executing a phase of Duke's basketball succession plan. To my knowledge, there has been no public recognition of a succession plan being in place, but I would not doubt that K, Alleva, etc have a framework established. It is a valuable artifact that many business enterprises and sports programs typically produce. The key is establishing a sufficiently flexible arrangement that can adapt to varying circumstances over time while ensuring the best interests of business / program are upheld.

I just hope that this is a very early phase of the plan and that K intends to stick around for many, many, many more years. I struggle to even fathom Duke without K...

I think that this move for JD happened now only because the Stanford position opened up. I really don't think JD and Coach K were looking to get JD a head coaching position "just because of a plan"... maybe even with a timetable (which a plan implies). However I do believe that both JD and Coach K would have taken another opportunity had the right situation actually occurred.

Truth
04-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I think that this move for JD happened now only because the Stanford position opened up. I really don't think JD and Coach K were looking to get JD a head coaching position "just because of a plan"... maybe even with a timetable (which a plan implies). However I do believe that both JD and Coach K would have taken another opportunity had the right situation actually occurred.

I do think a plan will have involved a timetable, but as I stated, it would have to be sufficiently flexible to accommodate changes that are outside our control (like the Stanford job opening). It's not that JD left "just because of a plan" -- JD left because a position arose during a time frame where he felt ready to make the next step in his career. I would think that K and JD likely had an understanding that JD was at a point in his career where he would explore appropriate opportunities as they made themselves available.

Also, in your last sentence, are you saying that Stanford is not "the right situation?"

gep
04-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I do think a plan will have involved a timetable, but as I stated, it would have to be sufficiently flexible to accommodate changes that are outside our control (like the Stanford job opening). It's not that JD left "just because of a plan" -- JD left because a position arose during a time frame where he felt ready to make the next step in his career. I would think that K and JD likely had an understanding that JD was at a point in his career where he would explore appropriate opportunities as they made themselves available.

Also, in your last sentence, are you saying that Stanford is not "the right situation?"

I totally agree with you... I was just not able to say it correctly like you did... and I didn't intend to trivialize the "plan" aspect.

Also, you are correct in that I was *not* implying that Stanford is not "the right situation"... but merely saying that had another "right situation" surfaced, JD would probably have gone. In fact, in an earlier post, I said that I thought Stanford is a great situation for JD :)

colchar
04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Hypothetically....

I say no.

I would say yes, I would still want him back. Stanford is a different school, with a different tradition and culture, not to mention a different playing style. In my mind lack of success there would not necessarily be predictive of a lack of success at Duke where JD knows the culture and tradition inside out (heck, he played a large role in their creation), and has had a significant role in the development of the playing style over the years.

Even if he failed at Stanford (which I doubt will happen) I would welcome him back with open arms.

BlueintheFace
04-27-2008, 11:30 PM
If Dawkins doesn't work out then we can have Wojo take over with Paulus as his right hand man

Festus13
04-28-2008, 02:28 AM
If Dawkins doesn't work out then we can have Wojo take over with Paulus as his right hand man

I'm sure that if you were to check the records, Coach K's personal stats are probably not as good as Wojo's were or Paulus's will be. Past records in nearly all sports show that the players with less 'natural' talent often make better coach's. I wouldn't say they work harder, but again, looking at films past it's easy to see how hard a Wojo or a Hurley or a Paulus (and probably K) come by their talents as compared to what I remember seeing from a very athletic and fluid player in Dawkins. Though said in jest by you, it may very well be a truism.

OldPhiKap
04-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Best of luck, JD! You will always be one of my favorites.

-- OPK

CTDukeFan
04-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Much as I hate to see JD leave the duke bench (and why are Duke players becoming head coaches at programs I have rooted against for years? First I had to start cheering for Tommy at Hauvud and now I have to become a Stanford fan) I agree with others that it's great for the long-term success of the program. Dawkins gets experience as a head coach which he just can't get as K's assistant. Hopefully he'll succeed and come back as the head coach. If he doesn't succeed, Duke can pick someone else (which would have been nearly impossible to do if JD stayed on the Duke sidelines until K retired).

david

ArkieDukie
04-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Cheers,
Lavabe

There are lots of amazing candidates on this list, and I hope that more than one of them get a shot. I think you could build a pretty decent coaching staff with the folks on this list. Who knows; this could be Coach Dawkins' list!

I'll take your word on Laettner; I haven't heard him speak in a while. He brings a certain amount of credibility to the table with his NBA experience. As did Devildeac, I would've guessed his business interests were keeping him quite busy. Same with Hurley, but I wanted to throw the name out there. If the final choice is Coach BadI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. I'll be more than happy.

watzone
04-28-2008, 09:30 AM
I just got a media advisory heads up that JD will be introduced as the new Stanford coach today at 4:00

Live streaming of the press conference will be available at www.gostanford.com.

gvtucker
04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
I just got a media advisory heads up that JD will be introduced as the new Stanford coach today at 4:00

Note that the time on the media advisory is pacific time. For those of us on the east coast, it is at 7 PM EDT.

Rudy
04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I'll add my voice to the cheers for JD and this move. I didn't see the "doesn't make sense" comment of DBR but that really seems silly now that it came true.

There couldn't be a better place for JD to go, for him and for Duke.

1) No other DI school is as like Duke in the tension between academics and athletics. JD has experience here and will gain more experience with it at the top spot.

2) The weather is even better there than it is in Durham and the neighboring town is nicer, so he may not want to leave. (Hmm, well good for him, but not for Duke.)

3) He puts "Head Coach" on his resume if he ever decides to leave Stanford. When the powers that be at Duke when Coach K retires have the decision to make, "lack of head coach experience" will not be a deterrence to hiring JD. Plus, everyone (Duke BB community and JD himself) will be able to see how he handles such a position, from both the perspectives of handling the team and handling the PR aspects.

4) JD will gain visibility on the West Coast as a coach, and if he does well and comes back to Duke, that will help with Duke's recruiting abilities out West, even though we've done pretty well on that score already.

5) JD is leaving when his popularity here is high, so if he does well and wants to come back, the Duke BB community will welcome him with open arms. Had he taken an East Coast job (even worse, an ACC job) there might be some resentment. No one can blame JD for taking this, even if there is a master plan to have him back (which I doubt very much).

hurleyfor3
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I was in San Francisco over the weekend (enjoying the absolutely perfect weather) and somehow missed this.

This is a great hire for Stanford. Congratulations, Johnny, you've earned it!

Throaty: Looks like the entry in the Handy Pocket Reference about hating /obsessing over Stanford needs to be changed.

Now all we need is to put someone at Northwestern, and we'll have populated the Harvards of all four regions of the country.

Hot Route
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM

1) I doubt he would have ever gone to coach at G-town seeing that he was highly recruited to PLAY there and came to Durham instead.

2) Let's see....Elton Brand, Nolan Smith, Gerald Henderson....I'm sure there are others that I just don't know about. He was the only assistant with NBA experience. This is where we will miss Johnny the most. It's nice to have someone to recruit that has actually made it to the next level.

BlueintheFace
04-28-2008, 01:47 PM
He was the only assistant with NBA experience. This is where we will miss Johnny the most. It's nice to have someone to recruit that has actually made it to the next level.

I agree completely with this. My only point was that losing Dawkins won't hurt recruiting nearly as much as losing collins or wojo would have.

Hot Route
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
While I do not believe there is a "master plan" in all of this, it does have to be in the back of everyone's mind. Johnny would like to add "head coach" to his resume. The university would rather K's successor to have some head coaching experience.

I am glad for Johnny. I am not glad for Duke. We are losing a major part of our program.

wilko
04-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Is is silly to think Billy King would be interested in returning to Durham?

A Duke guy thru and thru.... If he went into a recruits house and said "I believe with hard work and dedication you will have a chance to play in the league..." He'd have the credibity to make that stick more so that other coaches on the recruiting trail.

As a former bigwig for the 76'ers he could carry ALOT of clout in that regard.
"You are ready... You need work in these areas... You are not ready ..."

Just a thought.
Folks keep bringing up former players, many of whom I like... But Im just not sure what they bring to the table to help the team, past a familiar face and window dressing.

Hot Route
04-28-2008, 02:32 PM

A Duke guy thru and thru.... If he went into a recruits house and said "I believe with hard work and dedication you will have a chance to play in the league..." He'd have the credibity to make that stick more so that other coaches on the recruiting trail.

Just a thought.
Folks keep bringing up former players, many of whom I like... But Im just not sure what they bring to the table to help the team, past a familiar face and window dressing.

Great thought. It's funny how good Philly is doing with the team Billy put together. Unfortunately, the organization was so short-sighted. I'd love to see Billy back in Durham.

goduke6868
04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Who do you guys think Coach K will hire as an assistant? Will he go with a big name? What is Christian Laettner doing now a days? I feel that he would be a great hire as a "big man" coach!

Jumbo
04-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Just a thought.

Not a chance. He's in the running for the Knicks' GM job and almost assuredly will get another front office gig in due time. There's no way a guy who has risen to his level at the NBA level would return to a college as an assistant coach.

geraldsneighbor
04-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Is that the best picture of JD they could get? One of the darkest days I can remember vs. UNC.

geraldsneighbor
04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Why does every position have a stupid name too? Can't it be Head Men's Basketball coach and athletic director?

devildeac
04-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Jason is trying to find his way in life. Basketball will always be a huge part of it. My feeling is that he needs some seasoning but more importantly desire to become a coach. Unlike, Wojo, Collins and James, he has some NBA money to play with. I certainly think he could coach, but I am not certain that is where his mind or heart is at now. Duke generally promotes within and there is little reason to think James would not be a good coach. There is interest from the likes of Ro McLeod who is working with high school kids in the Atlanta area, but IMO, James will likely be the man.

Is Mr. McLeod by any remote chance working with any Atlanta high school seniors named Favors???;)

tbyers11
04-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Why does every position have a stupid name too? Can't it be Head Men's Basketball coach and athletic director?

That strikes me as really odd too. I guess endowed chairs and professorships are named after people, but it seems really out of place being applied to the head basketball coach and the athletic director.

devildeac
04-28-2008, 03:55 PM

Why not an Asian coach? I have heard that Norm Chow is avail..oh wait, never mind-wrong thread, wrong sport, wrong year and we already have a FB coach...:o

I would agree with Lavabe(of course, he and I made up our own list:D ). We have a lot of really good potential choices that would be interested/available. My bet is also on Nate.

Jumbo
04-28-2008, 04:04 PM
That strikes me as really odd too. I guess endowed chairs and professorships are named after people, but it seems really out of place being applied to the head basketball coach and the athletic director.

The Ivies tend to do that as well.

SilkyJ
04-28-2008, 04:06 PM
For Shane, who wasn't mentioned in the post: Is being an assistant at Duke on the trail to being President of the US of A?

Not only on the trail, its a pre-req.

Don't think Alarie is much interested in getting back into coaching. See the article below (have to scroll a bit for the update on Alarie). Not only does he say that his one year as an assistant wasn't so great, but he is in a pretty good situation right now with a solid Private Equity/Venture Capital shop.

Alarie "update" article:
http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/010206/eightysixers-where1.html

Alarie's company: www.crosshill.com (can't find him on the website though. if you go here: www.crosshill.com/advisors.html

you can see that Coach K is an adviser to the firm too)

Stanford is now my second favorite team!!!!

Me too! I'm out here in SF so now I have a hometown team. Now I just gotta teach the cardinal crazies (?) to paint their faces and jump up and down so I can pretend to be at a real home game.

I'll make the argument that Nolan is in a prime position even with Paulus on the team this year.

devildeac
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM

Let's see here, maybe some of these points are being used as negative recruiting tactics against Duke(just thinking out loud and speculating now and absolutely/positively NOT trying to be a rumor-monger/racist):

1. Coach K-caucasian
2. current PG-caucasian
3. most recent/highly celebrated AA-caucasian(with the Landlord, of course)
4. big man coach-ditto
5. other asst. coach-ditto

Let's also look at our most recent recruiting 'misses' and see where they ended up playing/going to play. Let's imagine AAU and HS coaches and their influences/discussions with these several players and ones we are still evaluating for 2009/10 and what might/could be said.

I am not on the recruiting circuit so this is just some additional(media and institutional, not personal)Duke-hating and wondering aloud here now. I think I understand Jumbo's concerns very well and hopefully have voiced some of my own here also and not inflamed any readers with my musings. I think Nate would make a fabulous choice.

g_olaf
04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
This is kind of cool...

Stanford was one of the teams I usually liked to root against given the two heartbreak losses we had with them when I was an undergrad at Duke. So even when I attended Stanford for grad school it always felt weird to cheer them on.

But now with JD at Stanford and Montgomery at Cal...Go Cards! Go to hell California, go to hell! :)

I'm not sure if it's "cool", but I likewise find my allegiances here suddenly tranformed... First I was wondering how I could still root for Cal with Montgomery as their coach, now I can't root against Stanford with my favorite player of all time sitting at the helm.

Odd.

4dukeinMinnesota
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
My family feels privileged to have watched Johnny Dawkins play and coach for Duke. We will miss him but wish him and his family well. We'll have to adjust our bedtime so we can watch some Stanford basketball.

Best wishes Johnny,
4DukeinMinnesota

Cameron
04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure if it's "cool", but I likewise find my allegiances here suddenly tranformed... First I was wondering how I could still root for Cal with Montgomery as their coach, now I can't root against Stanford with my favorite player of all time sitting at the helm.

Odd.

That is a tough predicament. This would probably never happen, but, hypothetically speaking, can you imagine if a former Blue Devil went on to become coach at a place like Maryland? (I didn't say UNC because, well, Satan is more likely to have dinner with me and William Hurt than that is to happen.) After all the years of hating Maryland and everything the team and its fans stand for (especially its fans), how could you all of a sudden stop hating them? Even with a former Blue Devil on board?

Obviously the above scenario will never happen (more than likely, especially with Coach K still around), but that would be pretty odd, too. Not sure how one would go about dealing with that situation.

Good luck, g_olaf.

BCGroup
04-28-2008, 07:53 PM
"The most interesting thing to come out of the press conference introducing former Duke assistant Johnny Dawkins as the 17th basketball coach at Stanford was hearing Stanford athletics director Bob Bowlsby spilled the beans on Mike Krzyzewski's intentions for his successor at Duke"

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=k_s_names_successor_kinda&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

captmojo
04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
From Associate Head Coach, to Head Coach. He will make me a Stanford fan. I am very sad to see you go but happy for you in your new opportunity, Coach!

My only advice, for what it's worth. Don't get Coach VanDerveer to do a dress up "spirit" thing with you, a la Perl/Summit. I don't think either of you would be recognizable dressed as a tree.

Bluedawg
04-28-2008, 11:37 PM

Good press conference but JD side stepped a lot of questions.

chi
04-29-2008, 12:37 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/28/SP5610D72J.DTLhttp://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/04/28/PH2008042802950.jpg

ArnieMc
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
That is a tough predicament. This would probably never happen, but, hypothetically speaking, can you imagine if a former Blue Devil went on to become coach at a place like Maryland? (I didn't say UNC because, well, Satan is more likely to have dinner with me and William Hurt than that is to happen.) After all the years of hating Maryland and everything the team and its fans stand for (especially its fans), how could you all of a sudden stop hating them? Even with a former Blue Devil on board?

Obviously the above scenario will never happen (more than likely, especially with Coach K still around), but that would be pretty odd, too. Not sure how one would go about dealing with that situation.

Good luck, g_olaf.Seems like I remember someone named "Lefty" or something.

BlueintheFace
04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
"We're going to do something special here," Dawkins said. "It takes ownership from everyone. The one thing I believe is it's our program, it's not Johnny Dawkins' program. You only do things special when you do it together."

Well, he certainly talks just like K. I'm interested to see how similar his coaching style will be?

Bluedawg
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
This was the most interesting comment of the whole press conference

Stanford athletic director Bob Bowlsby, who signed Dawkins to a six-year contract, did nothing to quiet the Duke talk. In fact, it was Bowlsby who brought up the issue when he mentioned that Krzyzewski was one of the first people he contacted in his search for a successor to Trent Johnson, who left to take the LSU job.

"Mike told me (Dawkins) was his likely successor," Bowlsby said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/28/SP5610D72J.DTL

I thought not a wise thing for an AD to say. it opened a whole line of questioning.

weezie
04-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry if it's been mentioned previously, but, as happy as I am for Coach Dawkins, it kind of hurts to see him holding up a Stanford jersey. :(

He'll be great, though, and he'll make us even prouder when he give the Pac10 "whatfor!!!"

chi
04-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Sorry if it's been mentioned previously, but, as happy as I am for Coach Dawkins, it kind of hurts to see him holding up a Stanford jersey. :(

He'll be great, though, and he'll make us even prouder when he give the Pac10 "whatfor!!!"

I was genuinely happy to see him happy and smiling, no mix feeling :)

ice-9
04-29-2008, 09:29 PM
GO TO HELL CALIFORNIA, GO TO HELL! :p

gep
04-29-2008, 10:33 PM
This was the most interesting comment of the whole press conference
Quote:
Stanford athletic director Bob Bowlsby, who signed Dawkins to a six-year contract, did nothing to quiet the Duke talk. In fact, it was Bowlsby who brought up the issue when he mentioned that Krzyzewski was one of the first people he contacted in his search for a successor to Trent Johnson, who left to take the LSU job.

"Mike told me (Dawkins) was his likely successor," Bowlsby said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SP5610D72J.DTL

I thought not a wise thing for an AD to say. it opened a whole line of questioning.

When I read the quote again, it sounded like Bowlsby thought he was "certifying" his choice of JD, in that if Coach K thought JD was capable of succeeding him, then JD should be capable as a head coach even without head coaching experience. Interesting that this also sounds like JD at Stanford was merely a stepping stone back to Duke.

Acymetric
04-29-2008, 10:39 PM
When I read the quote again, it sounded like Bowlsby thought he was "certifying" his choice of JD, in that if Coach K thought JD was capable of succeeding him, then JD should be capable as a head coach even without head coaching experience. Interesting that this also sounds like JD at Stanford was merely a stepping stone back to Duke.

I wonder if its possible that the statement means essentially that Dawkins would have been the choice had K retired, but that now he has decided to pursue an opportunity and coach elsewhere (not necessarily as a stepping stone back to Duke)? I'm not sure I buy into that explanation myself, but it seems somewhat reasonable...thoughts?

watzone
04-29-2008, 10:46 PM

Really! Spatola might be in line for the head of basketball operations if Schrage goes to Stanford. JWill is in the mix, but I think Nates in good shape.

Several have called about the job.

Inonehand
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
All indications are that he would be a good addition to anyone's staff but he won't get a spot on this staff until one of the white guys leaves. Doesn't mean he is a better or worse choice than Nate or JWill or any other candidate. Just a fact of life in this world of ours.

devildeac
04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
GO TO HELL CALIFORNIA, GO TO HELL! :p

That sounds a great marketing idea for CamCraz23(?correct name?) and her stickers. Wonder if you could sell a bunch to the Cardinal fans?