PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats fire Head Coach

BCGroup
04-26-2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/597368.html
No surprise there...

freedevil
04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
So now they go after Larry Brown, I'd imagine? At least if they get him, UNC fans won't be able to use the coaching staff as an excuse as to why that team constantly underperforms.

BCGroup
04-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Sure they are. In the paper yesterday I think, was an article about that, saying "The source, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, said Brown had not been contacted by the Bobcats. However, there were other signs the Bobcats are at least curious. Two sources said shortly after Brown resigned as executive vice president with the Philadelphia 76ers Thursday, a Bobcats employee contacted the 76ers for biographical information on Brown."

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/596890.html

And Tom Sorenson is pushing for the hire:
"Little went right for the Charlotte Bobcats before the recent public relations debacle and nothing has gone right for them since. Owner Bob Johnson's remarks to this newspaper, in which he blamed Charlotte's business community for his failure to sell suites and tickets, alienated a city that has never been crazy about him.But Johnson just got lucky. He was just offered the opportunity to prove that, darn it, he really does care. The opportunity's name is Larry Brown."
http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/597040.html

BD80
04-26-2008, 10:50 AM
So now they go after Larry Brown, I'd imagine? At least if they get him, UNC fans won't be able to use the coaching staff as an excuse as to why that team constantly underperforms.

Poor Ray Felton. Larry has never had very good relations with his point guards. It is said he is a bit demanding.

Devilsfan
04-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Bet Quin's former father-in-law already had his suitcase packed and was ready and just waiting to visit Carlotte.

MChambers
04-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Bet Quin's former father-in-law already had his suitcase packed and was ready and just waiting to visit Carlotte.

Does Larry Brown ever bother to unpack?

BD80
04-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Lets see, Lawson and Hansbrough aren't going to be high picks. This means that the Bobcats can use their high picks this year and next to trade down in the draft and pick up some other used heels. This year's pick and Jason Richardson for NJ's pick and Vince Carter (in very used condition), they can still draft Lawson down at 21 and get Ellington in the second round. Adam Morrison for Marvin Williams (in almost new condition). Swap next year's #1 and Ekafor to Washington for a #1 and Brenda and Jamison - that pick will still be high enough to get Hansbrough - Green will be available in the second round. Gerald Wallace is probably enough to get your choice of Brandon Wright, Jerry Stackhouse or Rashad McCants. That would make about 13 heels.

Put Larry Brown in charge and have MJ scrimmage with them and off you go.

The only one I would feel badly for is Jamison!

grossbus
04-26-2008, 03:09 PM
i like this take.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/8009914

YmoBeThere
04-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Hmm, player reviews in end of season exit interviews are why he got fired? There is definitely an agency issue there(is a player ever going to blame his poor play?).

Lavabe
04-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Hmm, player reviews in end of season exit interviews are why he got fired? There is definitely an agency issue there(is a player ever going to blame his poor play?).

Remind me, at WHAT point in the season do you pay attention to the NBA?;)

It's the Bobcats. As with the Hawks, I simply cannot follow this tier of NBA teams.

YmoBeThere
04-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Remind me, at WHAT point in the season do you pay attention to the NBA?;)

It's the Bobcats. As with the Hawks, I simply cannot follow this tier of NBA teams.

Ahhh, caught in a web of...I peeked to see who was coaching the Bobcats. I have yet to witness any live game action on TV or otherwise.

Devilsfan
04-26-2008, 04:41 PM
This should be a business school case study in how to totally ruin a sports franchise.

Acymetric
04-26-2008, 04:43 PM
This should be a business school case study in how to totally ruin a sports franchise.

You can't ruin something that was never any better than awful.

godukecom
04-27-2008, 01:39 PM
The bobcats orginization is a disaster. Anytime the owner CHARGES the team for appearances at games, you know the team is in trouble...

A bunch of over-rated former unc players + Bad leadership + a city where nobody cares about the team = the Charlotte Bobcats

YmoBeThere
04-27-2008, 02:43 PM
The bobcats orginization is a disaster. Anytime the owner CHARGES the team for appearances at games, you know the team is in trouble...

A bunch of over-rated former unc players + Bad leadership + a city where nobody cares about the team = the Charlotte Bobcats

Hmmm, the Hornets were pretty popular when I lived in Charlotte. Then Shinn started acting weird.

Acymetric
04-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Hmmm, the Hornets were pretty popular when I lived in Charlotte. Then Shinn started acting weird.

Well. Nobody cares about the Bobcats because the Bobcats have never been any good as far as I know. Plus since its basically UNC-Pro its hard for people that aren't Carolina fans to cheer them on. At least that's how it is for me. Stop pandering to UNC fans and start getting good players and see what happens.

BCGroup
04-27-2008, 03:20 PM
There's almost a disinterest, as opposed to disgust (which was how folks felt toward the end about Shinn). You get the UNC fans who are happy about the players, but when you don't win...There was a bump of excitement when MJ bought in, but the recent public relations fiasco when Bob Johnson gave an interview to the Observer took care of that. For example, Scott Fowler said:
"Johnson's conversation with the Charlotte Observer on Monday, a conversation he initiated, was unbelievable. Billionaire Bob feels unappreciated, and he wants your love and money, and not in that order.How would you feel if you were a Bobcats sponsor and were all but told you weren't doing enough?Many of this city's executives are fighting to turn a profit without laying off employees, and buying a luxury suite probably is not at the top of their to-do list."
http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/582830.html

And, from the same column, what probably bothered more people:
"Johnson said Michael Jordan, who owns a chunk of the team and runs the basketball operation, expects to be compensated for appearances. Are you kidding me? I found that singularly offensive."

All that to say the people who still cared despite the losses weren't too thrilled about any of that. Most people I talk to are like, "whatever"

Matches
04-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Vincent was a total disaster as the HC; it looks inept to make another change after just one season but it had to happen. Hiring Brown would at least buy the team a little credibility - it's really not a bad group of players, esp. in the Eastern conference, but they were horribly coached last season.

Misunderestimated
04-28-2008, 08:36 AM
There's almost a disinterest, as opposed to disgust (which was how folks felt toward the end about Shinn). You get the UNC fans who are happy about the players, but when you don't win...There was a bump of excitement when MJ bought in, but the recent public relations fiasco when Bob Johnson gave an interview to the Observer took care of that. For example, Scott Fowler said:
"Johnson's conversation with the Charlotte Observer on Monday, a conversation he initiated, was unbelievable. Billionaire Bob feels unappreciated, and he wants your love and money, and not in that order.How would you feel if you were a Bobcats sponsor and were all but told you weren't doing enough?Many of this city's executives are fighting to turn a profit without laying off employees, and buying a luxury suite probably is not at the top of their to-do list."
http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/582830.html

And, from the same column, what probably bothered more people:
"Johnson said Michael Jordan, who owns a chunk of the team and runs the basketball operation, expects to be compensated for appearances. Are you kidding me? I found that singularly offensive."

All that to say the people who still cared despite the losses weren't too thrilled about any of that. Most people I talk to are like, "whatever"

I think its worth mentioning that the reason most Charlotte Citizens have turned their back is because they had to fund the $265 million arena for Billionaire Bob, despiting voting it down.

BCGroup
04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
I agree--forgot that part! It was so interesting to watch how the officials bungled that entire mess. And now they are figuring out how to do it with minor league baseball to move it uptown. People are not interested in using tax dollars for entertainment venues, particularly given the current economic state. As a side note, I remember when the "new" Charlotte Coliseum was built out near the airport. Now I can say I remember when the "old" Charlotte Coliseum was destroyed at a very young age.

Highlander
04-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I think its worth mentioning that the reason most Charlotte Citizens have turned their back is because they had to fund the $265 million arena for Billionaire Bob, despiting voting it down.

There was some public funding here, but the key parts of the deal from what I remember were privately financed. Essentially it was a land swap agreement; private tenants bought the old stadium in exchange for the $ to buy the new one.

It wasn't entirely privately financed; the city was required to help pay for traffic, police, and give tax concessions on the operation to make it happen, but it's worth noting that a lot of that $ came from private financing and the hotel/motel tax which by law had to go towards tourism.

But prevailing sentiment in Charlotte is that the city built an arena they didn't need to pander to rich athletes and their owners. And that's still pretty accurate.

Personally, I think the Panthers moving to town did more to hurt the bottom line of Charlotte's NBA team(s) than George Shinn, Ray Woolridge, or the city council. There just aren't a ton of entertainment dollars to go around, and when your choices are the NFL or the NBA, it's a no brainer.

Highlander
04-28-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree--forgot that part! It was so interesting to watch how the officials bungled that entire mess. And now they are figuring out how to do it with minor league baseball to move it uptown. People are not interested in using tax dollars for entertainment venues, particularly given the current economic state. As a side note, I remember when the "new" Charlotte Coliseum was built out near the airport. Now I can say I remember when the "old" Charlotte Coliseum was destroyed at a very young age.

Considering the Charlotte Knights play in Rock Hill, SC, and it's an hour drive for me to get to a game now, I think an uptown stadium is a much better location for them. If the Durham Bulls played all their games in Morrisville, they wouldn't have near the following they do now.

As for how to pay for them, public financing has to play a part. Voters are all over approving hotel/rental car tax increases b/c they don't have to pay them, but the caveat for those things is that the $ raised has to go towards tourism. I agree that the current economic conditions make spending public funds on something like this hard to justify; but I know for a fact I'd visit an uptown stadium a heck of a lot more than I would one that requires a 2 hour round trip.

Biggest issue now is some dude who keeps suing the city to halt construction b/c he wants to build a MAJOR league ballpark instead of a minor league one, and going the minor league route would derail the major league plans at least 10 years. Every time his lawsuit is defeated, he files a new one.

moonpie23
04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
well, in all fairness....the product is definitley a wholly owned subsidiary of the HOOVER corporation. ;)

putting a better product out there would help. just throwing out some UNC homies and then drafting the hippie from the zags is not going to sell well.

Indoor66
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM

How about the old old Coliseum on Independence where Duke began it's '78 Final Four run? Where does that stand in your run of memories?

BCGroup
04-28-2008, 11:13 AM
That's in there too--the Old, Old Coliseum. My dad took us to something there when I was in elementary school. It's just amazing to think of this process. And I really liked the new old coliseum--I have many fond ACC Tournament memories, and a good, but not great memory of Grant Hill in the 1994 NCAA Tournament final (would have been great had we won....).

hc5duke
04-29-2008, 03:32 AM
i like this take.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/8009914

Gregg Doyel gets his wish (maybe) -- Brown to coach Bobcats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bobcats-brown)

eddiehaskell
04-29-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm not a big NBA fan, but I was warming up to the Hornets a little during the 90s. When they left, all hope of me pulling for a Charlotte NBA team was gone. I'll never be a Bobcats fan. I've yet to watch more than a few minutes of any of their games.

Highlander
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Gregg Doyel gets his wish (maybe) -- Brown to coach Bobcats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bobcats-brown)

Bad hire IMO. Larry Brown is a mercenary who only cares about one thing, and one thing only, and that's Larry Brown. Ditching Detroit to sign a big contract with NY then begging out of it after only one year tells me everything I need to know about him.

If he makes Charlotte respectable in a year or two, I guarantee he'll bolt for greener pastures. He's not interested in building Charlotte into a decent franchise, just jumpstarting his own career.

I think the Bobcats would have done much better with Paul Silas.

Matches
04-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Bad hire IMO. Larry Brown is a mercenary who only cares about one thing, and one thing only, and that's Larry Brown. Ditching Detroit to sign a big contract with NY then begging out of it after only one year tells me everything I need to know about him.

If he makes Charlotte respectable in a year or two, I guarantee he'll bolt for greener pastures. He's not interested in building Charlotte into a decent franchise, just jumpstarting his own career.

I think the Bobcats would have done much better with Paul Silas.

There's no doubt Brown will be gone after a few years - I think everyone knows that going in. But he'll give the team some credibility and some attention for a few years, and hopefully will be able to at least get the team to the playoffs. I doubt he's looking to jumpstart his career so much as end it on a better note than the NY debacle.

I like Silas a lot and would love to see him back, but I can understand why a franchise struggling for attention in its own market wouldn't bite. The Hornets didn't exactly pack the seats when Silas coached them (even though IMO he did an excellent job).

I'd be cool with Brown being here 2-3 years, getting the team on the right track, and THEN having Silas take over.

Highlander
04-29-2008, 11:10 AM
There's no doubt Brown will be gone after a few years - I think everyone knows that going in. But he'll give the team some credibility and some attention for a few years, and hopefully will be able to at least get the team to the playoffs. I doubt he's looking to jumpstart his career so much as end it on a better note than the NY debacle.

I like Silas a lot and would love to see him back, but I can understand why a franchise struggling for attention in its own market wouldn't bite. The Hornets didn't exactly pack the seats when Silas coached them (even though IMO he did an excellent job).

I'd be cool with Brown being here 2-3 years, getting the team on the right track, and THEN having Silas take over.

Yeah, I didn't realize Brown was already 67 years old. Wow. I'm surprised he took the job at his age. I don't know how many years he stays, but I agree its more likely he'll retire than start over.

BD80
04-29-2008, 12:35 PM
The Bobcats should immediately trade their 2009 pick for something this year (a better draft) or for Atlanta's or Washington's first rounder next year. Larry will get 10 - 12 more wins out of the 'Cats next year, moving them into the middle of the playoff pack and out of the lottery. The Hawks and the Wizzes will be overconfident and have contract issues and will fall back into the lottery with the Pacers and Bulls rising back up.

It doesn't matter who the Bobcats draft this year or next, the rookies will never see the court.

Of course, Larry will wear out his welcome in year two and the 'Cats will falter and be back in the lottery for 2010. Ray Felton will pay for the limo to get Larry to the airport.

ugadevil
04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
The Bobcats aren't a family friendly organization. Parents won't take their children to games when they think Eric Rudolph is sitting on the home team's bench.

http://www.joelkimmel.com/uploaded_images/Adam_Morrison-794108.jpg