PDA

View Full Version : Josh Howard admits to using marijuana in off season

BD80
04-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm not judging his personal choices, I doubt I have standing :rolleyes:

But to publicly admit to illegal activities and to conduct which I believe violates the CBA, not smart:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3368139

In fact, anything Stephen A. Smith can call stupid must be really stupid. SAS was droning on that it makes all black players look bad. They ought to give Laettner a quick call.

I hope Josh likes peeing in a cup, I'll bet he gets a bunch of opportunities over the next year.

happydays1949
04-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Well, he's not exactly the smartest Wake has ever had.

pete89
04-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Dumb

Jim3k
04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Clearly, Josh likes a challenge. Or likes to challenge.

Or, maybe is a challenge.

weezie
04-25-2008, 09:58 PM
"Appearing on the Michale Irvin show" :eek:
What the heck kind of a show is that to announce your substance issues on?:D

billybreen
04-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I say good for him. It worked for Walton at UCLA.

MIKESJ73
04-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I know I will probably be berated for this, but I think they should legal pot. I think that the government should produce it and distribute it. It cost virtually nothing and could generate huge money for the states. They should lower the price down just enough to eliminate drug dealing (maybe $45 for a quarter bag down to $35). I don't smoke weed but I am all for anything that would cut my taxes. Why not let drug user pay them for me. Ethically the government doesn't always make the best decisions anyway. Who do you have to stand behind in line at the gas stations because they are filing out hopeless dreams called lottery tickets, the poor. And what kills more people than all drugs combined? Cigarettes. Lets legalize. Sorry I know it's a little off topic, but oh well. Howard can join all the others of wasted talent (Manigault, DT, Bias, among others).

Ben63
04-25-2008, 10:45 PM
I would normally let an player from Wake/unc/UMD/etc have it but as a Mavs fan I like Josh Howard. Bad time to announce during the playoffs but I hope he can solve his personal problems and the Mavs can solve the Hornets.

Josh Howard=Dumb but lets deal with it after the playoffs

Inonehand
04-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't care if every basketball player in the NBA smokes weed. Just don't talk about it as if it's perfectly fine when my son watches games and will hear that it doesn't affect their performance. When I have to tell him how bad it is for you and I can't touch the rim anymore, bong hit or not, and a guy that can score 20 a game in the NBA says that it's no big deal, I'm struggling in that battle. Just keep your big mouth shut, Josh. Especially after you pass the pipe.

wilko
04-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I know I will probably be berated for this, but I think they should legal pot. I think that the government should produce it and distribute it. It cost virtually nothing and could generate huge money for the states. Ethically the government doesn't always make the best decisions anyway. Who do you have to stand behind in line at the gas stations because they are filing out hopeless dreams called lottery tickets, the poor. And what kills more people than all drugs combined? Cigarettes. Lets legalize. {

Amen. You got my vote.

wilko
04-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't care if every basketball player in the NBA smokes weed. Just don't talk about it as if it's perfectly fine when my son watches games and will hear that it doesn't affect their performance. When I have to tell him how bad it is for you and I can't touch the rim anymore, bong hit or not, and a guy that can score 20 a game in the NBA says that it's no big deal, I'm struggling in that battle. Just keep your big mouth shut, Josh. Especially after you pass the pipe.

Im a dad too and can empathize a bit.

My kids are 5 and 3 so weeds grow out in the yard... Its not a danger for them them AT THE MOMENT. But that will change in time. I used to be QUITE indulgent back in the day.... so Im torn on how to handle for my kids when the time comes. If I lie Im a hypocrite. I cant do nothing... Best thing is for them to legalize it and put an age limit on it...

Heck if it were legal... I'd have some now.

KandG
04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, he's not exactly the smartest Wake has ever had.

I disagree, and I'm someone who wasn't crazy about Howard (even though I respected his talent) because of the trash talking he used to get into with Dahntay. Plus I've never been a Mavs fan. But I've come around to realizing that Howard is actually one of the more thoughtful guys in the pros.

This recent incident really wasn't very smart at all (with the team being in the playoffs), but Howard himself isn't a terrible guy. I liked TrueHoop's account of the situation (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop?tag=josh%20howard). And the interview he did with Howard (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-23-118/Josh-Howard-Will-be-Heard.html) last year changed my opinion of him a little bit. It's worth checking out.

Funny how Howard got so much crap for what he said about our little adventure in Iraq when he was at Wake -- looking at his comments (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/journalnow/access/487719451.html?dids=487719451:487719451&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Mar+19%2C+2003&author=JOURNAL+STAFF+REPORT&pub=Winston+-+Salem+Journal&edition=&startpage=4&desc=HOWARD+OPPOSES+WAR+IN+IRAQ%2C+SAYS+BUSH+SEEKI NG+REVENGE%2C+OIL) right now, he seemed quite prescient for a "dumb jock" from Wake.

BD80
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Looks like someone "smoked" Josh in his final game this year:

Smoke this

Josh Howard had to know it was coming. As he stood by the scorer's table, awaiting the start of the second half, one of the few moments when the arena is relatively quiet, a fan within earshot barraged Howard with all the expected lines such as, "After tonight you can smoke all the weed you want." Howard eventually looked up at the heckler and muttered something under his breath. Howard can only hope the smoke clears by next season.

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/613516.html

KandG
04-30-2008, 01:33 PM
BTW, though I defended Howard as an interesting guy a few days ago, his play this last week was horrific beyond words...he pretty much deserved all the catcalls about weed smoking. I wonder if he'll end up on another team after all is said and done.

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2008, 02:37 PM
We can give him hell for being stupid all we want, but the fact is that unless more people in the public eye open up about it, legalization will be an even longer time coming than it already is. I used to smoke plenty, but like others here have said, I have kids now, and have chosen not to in partake while they are living at home. Personally, I feel our jails are filled with enough people who truly deserve to be there. If we took out all the people who have been put in prison for marijuana offenses, there would be more resources available for better use.

moonpie23
04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
the only reason it's NOT legal is cause there are no PFIZER or SQUIBB lobbyists on the case. Pot-heads can't seem to get their financial ducks in a row to de-demonize the wicked weed.

i agree with some of you.....it's hard to look back at my own early years (hack, wheeze, cough!) and take a hard line in a hypocritical way, but the under theme is that smoking weed IS bad for you health....smoking ANYTHING is bad for your health. I truthfully believe i gave up a pretty darn good swimming career because i got hooked on cigs....

i wrote a letter to MJ and SI when he won his first Title and they had him on the cover smoking a cigar......not a good influence for the kids.

I agree that we should legalize it, put it under control (tobacco also!! ) and put an age limit on it...

the billions we take in on taxes alone could pay for......well, could pay for a whole WEEK of this iraq war thing....

murpho
04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Howard just helped get Avery fired and Howard will definitely be on another team next year. What a waste of talent.

eddiehaskell
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
I wonder how leaglized marijuana would affect children....

How many parents would have their children around 2nd hand marijuana smoke? I see 2nd graders showing up for class with a buzz.

wilko
04-30-2008, 05:51 PM

How many parents would have their children around 2nd hand marijuana smoke? I see 2nd graders showing up for class with a buzz.

You are assuming they dont already show up that way..

I guess about as many that are currently showing up for class drunk or as many showing up with a firearm now.

ugadevil
04-30-2008, 06:41 PM
What some of these posts have to do with Josh Howard is now beyond me. It'll be interesting to see if Dallas wants to try and deal Howard in the offseason. His stats indicate that he's progressing towards becoming a star in the league, and he's a match up problem for teams all over the league. So, will Dallas be generous in trying to get rid of him and take very little in return, expect a huge trade, or keep him around?

murpho
04-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Howard was on his way to being an all star but has totally regressed on the court and then you throw in the off court insubordination with his birthday party and his pot statements. No matter your stance on its use and so forth, just stupid to bring up at this point, serves no purpose. Mavs will be lucky to get 60-70 cents on the dollar for Howard at this point.

moonpie23
04-30-2008, 07:15 PM

probably NOT as many suffering from 2nd hand cig smoke.....how many 2nd graders come to school drunk?

ugadevil
04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Howard was on his way to being an all star but has totally regressed on the court and then you throw in the off court insubordination with his birthday party and his pot statements. No matter your stance on its use and so forth, just stupid to bring up at this point, serves no purpose. Mavs will be lucky to get 60-70 cents on the dollar for Howard at this point.

I think Howard was an All-Star last season? He was offered a spot because of injuries to other players. Also, do you mean his play on the court regressed during the playoffs? Statistically, he's improved in points and rebounds every year he's been in the league.

BD80
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
....how many 2nd graders come to school drunk?

Most of the ones who walk their kids to school because they are in the same class!

devildeac
04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Most of the ones who walk their kids to school because they are in the same class!

you've been reading/watching too much Foxworthy...

murpho
04-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes Howard's play this year went into the tank. Much of it attributed to the death of his grandmother and the trade of Devin Harris. He shot around 25% in this year's playoffs as well.

eddiehaskell
04-30-2008, 10:07 PM
probably NOT as many suffering from 2nd hand cig smoke.....how many 2nd graders come to school drunk?Smoking doesn't have an immediate affect and drinking involves the child actually doing something.

2nd hand Marijuana inhalation can have an immediate affect and doesn't involves the child doing anything except breathing.

Granted, I don't know how much 2nd hand smoke it would take to get a small child high.

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
2nd hand Marijuana inhalation can have an immediate affect and doesn't involves the child doing anything except breathing.

If you opened the kids mouth and forcibly breathed in....maybe. Otherwise that statement is wacked. Give me a case study. One that involves more than one ball player smoking in a room with one kid. You would need an entire party. And everyone would have to be passing at the same time.

eddiehaskell
05-01-2008, 02:11 PM
If you opened the kids mouth and forcibly breathed in....maybe. Otherwise that statement is wacked. Give me a case study. One that involves more than one ball player smoking in a room with one kid. You would need an entire party. And everyone would have to be passing at the same time.Ball player?:confused:

I was talking about legalization in general.

moonpie23
05-01-2008, 02:53 PM
the point of my post was that there are ALWAYS going to be irresponsible parents out there.....Legalizing the weed isn't going to make anyone any more irresponsible than they already are.. (or aren't)

if you're getting high in the car taking your kid to school, you're breaking the same law as having a cocktail while taking them to school...unfortunately, we, as a society don't give a rat's pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! about our children's health or well being because i don't think one single state has outlawed smoking in your car or home with your kids.....

Edouble
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
you've been reading/watching too much Foxworthy...

Oh! I took it as less of a Foxworthy and more of a Neil Boortz kind of comment.

Acymetric
05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
the point of my post was that there are ALWAYS going to be irresponsible parents out there.....Legalizing the weed isn't going to make anyone any more irresponsible than they already are.. (or aren't)

if you're getting high in the car taking your kid to school, you're breaking the same law as having a cocktail while taking them to school...unfortunately, we, as a society don't give a rat's pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! about our children's health or well being because i don't think one single state has outlawed smoking in your car or home with your kids.....

What if you aren't taking them to school? Just have some at the breakfast table, then send the kid off to the bus. Honestly, all this coddling of children with car rides to school!

moonpie23
05-01-2008, 04:40 PM
What if you aren't taking them to school? Just have some at the breakfast table, then send the kid off to the bus. Honestly, all this coddling of children with car rides to school!

then you're being irresponsible....just like parents that have some cigarette at the breakfast table...

ugadevil
05-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Ball player?:confused:

I was talking about legalization in general.

Well the thread was started because it included a "ball player". Also, it's on the main board, which would indicate that it should be somewhat related to basketball, or basketball players. If it's a thread about the legalization of a substance, it's probably more suited for the PPB.

Now, who's going to want Josh Howard next season?

Acymetric
05-01-2008, 04:48 PM
then you're being irresponsible....just like parents that have some cigarette at the breakfast table...

And would you agree that second hand pot is worse than second hand tobacco smoke?

eddiehaskell
05-01-2008, 05:38 PM
So your premise is that legalization wont increase the number of people smoking mary j?

darthur
05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes Howard's play this year went into the tank. Much of it attributed to the death of his grandmother and the trade of Devin Harris. He shot around 25% in this year's playoffs as well.

Huh? His overall stats are basically as good as ever this year. His percentages are down slightly, but not significantly, and his totals are up. How did his play tank? One foolish comment to the press and one bad series does not make a young player washed up.

greybeard
05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Howard is a terrific player and a terrific guy to watch. If what's his name trades him, he's an idiot. What am I saying, he traded a young and extremely entertaining point guard, with blazing speed, for a one-time shot, that was oh such a desparate move. Seems pretty dumb already, and he can't dance neither.

Admitting that he smokes pot is bad? Why?

moonpie23
05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
And would you agree that second hand pot is worse than second hand tobacco smoke?

not to a consenting adult.....to ANYONE not consenting, (child OR adult) there's a different aspect to it. But second hand cigarette smoke has many more carcenogins than pot smoke.....

that's getting away from the point...it's still irresponsible for an adult to expose children to EITHER. Cigs and alchohol are perfectly legal, (and should be for adults)...why not pot?

the responsibility of not exposing your kid to 2nd hand pot smoke is the same as the responsibility of not offering your kid a bloody mary at breakfast.

moonpie23
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM
So your premise is that legalization wont increase the number of people smoking mary j?

what if it did? prolly no more so than legalizing alcohol, or cigs...

should adults be able to chose to do those drugs?

Classof06
05-02-2008, 01:33 PM

I'm not going to say the number of people smoking weed won't increase at all but, IMO, it wouldn't increase that much. People who don't smoke marijuana don't do so because they don't want to, not because it's illegal. Not to mention, a TON of people in this country smoke weed to begin with.

With how easy it is to obtain weed in this country, I don't think access or legality is the reason more people don't smoke. There are enough negatives (mental, physical, etc.) to deter people from smoking chronic than its mere illegality.

Heck, if you only smoke weed on your property or at your place of residence and you're not selling it, the chances of you getting into legal trouble are slim to none. Chances are you could smoke and go about your business without ever having any issue.

wilko
05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
People who don't smoke marijuana don't do so because they don't want to, not because it's illegal. Not to mention, a TON of people in this country smoke weed to begin with.

With how easy it is to obtain weed in this country, I don't think access or legality is the reason more people don't smoke. There are enough negatives (mental, physical, etc.) to deter people from smoking chronic than its mere illegality.

Heck, if you only smoke weed on your property or at your place of residence and you're not selling it, the chances of you getting into legal trouble are slim to none. Chances are you could smoke and go about your business without ever having any issue.

Uhm. Im not sure thats entirely true....
Now at age 40 I have a lot more to lose by getting busted smoking weed, than I did at say age 20. I dont want my home or car seized.... hey anythings possible..

I see where you are going... but I wouldnt be sooo dismissive of the mere technicality of illegality.

moonpie23
05-02-2008, 02:41 PM
well, if all you're doing is smoking a little weed, and you don't have like a bunch of baggies lying around, and you didn't sell any, and you don't have a bunch of cash lying in the box with your weed......more than likely, it's a simple possession thing and you can get an attorney to get you into the drug school and prolly never have it on your record. (i'm not saying i KNOW, but that's what i've heard).

but you are right, as an adult, you've got a lot more to lose when you piss off the cop at 3 am and all of a sudden you've got a kilo of coke in your trunk that you never knew was there.. ;)

Classof06
05-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Uhm. Im not sure thats entirely true....
Now at age 40 I have a lot more to lose by getting busted smoking weed, than I did at say age 20. I dont want my home or car seized.... hey anythings possible..

I see where you are going... but I wouldnt be sooo dismissive of the mere technicality of illegality.

You would have a lot to lose by getting busted (as would I), but you'd more than likely have to take substantial risk (transporting it in your car, smoking in your car) and/or be reckless to get busted. If you're putting yourself in the line of danger like that, you probably deserve to get busted.

You also have to think about the negative stigma of marijuana in our society. Even if the government suddenly reversed track and legalized weed tomorrow, people who don't do it wouldn't just forget the X amount of years they'd heard so many negative things about it. You can make it legal but you can't erase the fact that most people are raised with the notion that marijuana is bad, for any number of reasons. Even if it is legalized, I don't see people suddenly forgetting what they've been told their whole lives and lighting up.

This is a general statement but I don't see anyone over the age of 30 who doesn't smoke marijuana suddenly starting because it's made legal.

wilko
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
You would have a lot to lose by getting busted (as would I), but you'd more than likely have to take substantial risk (transporting it in your car, smoking in your car) and/or be reckless to get busted.

You also have to think about the negative stigma of marijuana in our society. Even if the government suddenly reversed track and legalized weed tomorrow, people who don't do it wouldn't just forget the X amount of years they'd heard so many negative things about it.

This is a general statement but I don't see anyone over the age of 30 who doesn't smoke marijuana suddenly starting because it's made legal.

Let me clear! I can fill the cup now with no issues. I havent used weed in years and its been longer still since I bought any. So Im NOT taking any risks at all these days. (its been much longer than 5 yrs, put it that way)

Im not so worried about the stigma.
That kinda thing doesnt phase me. I like to delude myself into thinking I march to my own drummer. Thats prolly why I tried it to begin with ... Even with Nancy doing her "just say no bit" and that dude comparing my brain to an egg in my formative HS yrs.

I dont have faith in the Government to tell me the truth about anything. I'd be more concerned at what my healthcare provider thought and decided to Jack my premiums, than what Uncle Sam had said on the issue.

IF it were legal today I go buy some. Dang Skippy!! I dont know when or where I'd smoke it ... if ever. But it would make me feel alot better about my country to know that I could if I wanted to without a hassle.

I will still support Josh if he continues to use. I wish him luck, for good or ill he has made himself a large target. I applaud his honesty. But I doubt his life will be easier by going public.

Thers a large gap between being a current user and fomer user.