PDA

View Full Version : miles plumlee

grossbus
04-25-2008, 06:02 PM
has he asked for/been released from his stanford LOI yet?

come play with your bro, bro!

crimsonandblue
04-25-2008, 06:07 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/749655.html

He's asked out.

kramerbr
04-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Interesting how it is the cover story on TDD...

Icarus09
04-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Interesting how it is the cover story on TDD...
I thought the same thing.

geraldsneighbor
04-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Does he have any interest in coming to Duke?

BlueintheFace
04-25-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm not so sure we want him...

freedevil
04-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Someone posted earlier that he grew up disliking Duke... for what that's worth...

Feel free to correct me, if anyone knows something more accurate.

duke211
04-25-2008, 08:15 PM
My source is good, he is better than his bro and was injured last year and would have had a better ranking, we need him, lance and zoubs and david have little scoring ability

BlueintheFace
04-25-2008, 08:23 PM
My source is good, he is better than his bro and was injured last year and would have had a better ranking, we need him, lance and zoubs and david have little scoring ability

Then why didn't we so much as look at him before? It's not like he committed to Stanford super early?

Bob Green
04-25-2008, 08:23 PM

I have a hard time accepting that Freshman Miles Plumlee would be better than Junior Brian Zoubek, if Zoubek stays healthy. Zoubek was injured the majority of his sophomore season, but if he is healthy next season, he will be a solid big man. His experience gives him the edge. I see Zoubek averaging 22 mpg and 12-14 ppg next season.

grossbus
04-25-2008, 08:24 PM
"I'm not so sure we want him..."

what's not to want? 6'10" 230 skilled mobile. like, we don't need that?

Jumbo
04-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I see Zoubek averaging 22 mpg and 12-14 ppg next season.

12-14 ppg???

Jumbo
04-25-2008, 08:25 PM

I've never heard anyone say that Miles' potential is as good as Mason's.

Jumbo
04-25-2008, 08:27 PM

Where do you see him listed as 6'10", 230?

kramerbr
04-25-2008, 08:29 PM
I think 6'9 205-210 would be a bit more accurate...

grossbus
04-25-2008, 08:30 PM
"12-14 ppg???"

right, what kind of seaweed are you smoking over there bob. zoobs might be better not being injured, but they call HIS travels. his footwork is suspect. he has zero offense beyond 4 feet. he is slow. he can't guard anyone beyond the foul line extended. i would really like to see him succeed, but i have seen little evidence to support 12-14 ppg.

Bob Green
04-25-2008, 08:43 PM
12-14 ppg???

That may sound ridiculous, but I really believe we have yet to see the real Brian Zoubek. He struggled his freshman year with foul trouble and travelling. Last season he was injured twice. With the caveat I stated, if healthy, and added experience, Zoubek could really make heads turn the next two years. Right now, I am just hoping for step one - successful recovery from his latest foot surgery.

Jumbo
04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
That may sound ridiculous, but I really believe we have yet to see the real Brian Zoubek. He struggled his freshman year with foul trouble and travelling. Last season he was injured twice. With the caveat I stated, if healthy, and added experience, Zoubek could really make heads turn the next two years. Right now, I just hoping for step one - successful recovery from his latest foot surgery.

I agree that Zoubek will be better, but 12-14 ppg is a lot of points for anyone. It's even an even higher average for someone playing 22 mpg. And it's even tougher to do for someone playing in a perimeter-oriented attack that returns four double-digit scorers, three of whom (Henderson, Scheyer and Singler) all have the potential to significantly increase their output.

Jim3k
04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
The 230 is probably wishful thinking, but according to this Louisville C-J article (http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/labels/Miles%20Plumlee.html) (scroll a little) from last summer, Miles is 6-11. He won't stay in the 205-210 range for long. He may well be above that now.

dukeimac
04-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I remember reading that Mason grew up liking UNC but they didn't offer and Duke didn't pursue until UNC filled up.

Thus, Miles might be the same story.

Anyone 6"8" plus and can contribute with 8+ points and 4+ rebounds is a good pick.

Zoo has had injury issues so the book is out on him and I fear he may always have injury issues, he looks like he isn't comfortable with his body.

MChambers
04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
I agree that Zoubek will be better, but 12-14 ppg is a lot of points for anyone. It's even an even higher average for someone playing 22 mpg. And it's even tougher to do for someone playing in a perimeter-oriented attack that returns four double-digit scorers, three of whom (Henderson, Scheyer and Singler) all have the potential to significantly increase their output.

Bob is an optimist. Not at Ozzie's level, mind you, but still quite an optimist. (I think Zoubs will be much better, but would be ecstatic with 25 mpg (not miles per gallon) and 10 ppb.)

FireOgilvie
04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
The 230 is probably wishful thinking, but according to this Louisville C-J article (http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/labels/Miles%20Plumlee.html) (scroll a little) from last summer, Miles is 6-11. He won't stay in the 205-210 range for long. He may well be above that now.

That also calls Mason by his brother's name. I don't think that's a great source.

roywhite
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
That may sound ridiculous, but I really believe we have yet to see the real Brian Zoubek. He struggled his freshman year with foul trouble and travelling. Last season he was injured twice. With the caveat I stated, if healthy, and added experience, Zoubek could really make heads turn the next two years. Right now, I am just hoping for step one - successful recovery from his latest foot surgery.

I don't think double figure scoring is out of the question for Zoubs, or even 12-14 per game. Last year, he shot 59.4% FG, 44.8% FT, and scored approx. 1 pt per 2.8 minutes played.

Continued improvement depends on decent health, continued hard work, physical development and maturity, and avoiding foul trouble. Duke's strength next year should continue to be outside shooting and driving ability; a big target like Zoubs should get some room to operate.

Bob Green
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM

You point out valid facts that will affect Zoubek's scoring potential. For my prediction to bear fruit, Zoubek will have to do a better job at the free throw line. With increased playing time, he will take increased trips to the charity stripe and converting those opportunities into points is critical to his success. Hopefully, shooting thousands of free throws is a part of Zoubek's summer improvement plan.

Bob Green
04-25-2008, 09:03 PM
That also calls Mason by his brother's name. I don't think that's a great source.

Actually Jody Demling is a great source and arguably the most knowledgable columnist in the Indiana/Kentucky area. As far as him calling Mason Miles or vice versa, everyone makes mistakes.

FireOgilvie
04-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Actually Jody Demling is a great source and arguably the most knowledgable columnist in the Indiana/Kentucky area. As far as him calling Mason Miles or vice versa, everyone makes mistakes.

Right. She obviously spent the time to measure him but didn't spend the time to correct a glaring mistake on her blog. Sounds legit.

Bob Green
04-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Right. She obviously spent the time to measure him but didn't spend the time to correct a glaring mistake on her blog. Sounds legit.

Jody Demling is a dude. See how easy it is to make a mistake. :)

FireOgilvie
04-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Jody Demling is a dude. See how easy it is to make a mistake. :)

Hahaha. TOUCHE.

Notice I don't claim to know how tall Miles Plumlee is.

Jim3k
04-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Well, you might be righter than you know. The single comment says the writer mixed the brothers up, even though Mason's name was used twice.

High school beat writers. Gotta love them.

Need another source... :p

grossbus
04-25-2008, 09:23 PM
"Zoubek will have to do a better job at the free throw line"

wasn't he decent his freshman year?

roywhite
04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
"Zoubek will have to do a better job at the free throw line"

wasn't he decent his freshman year?

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=520

Here's Zoubs' stat lines for his first two years; yes, he shot 66.7% from the line as a freshman, and actually scored a few more points in slightly fewer minutes in his first year.

yancem
04-26-2008, 12:07 AM
We (or should I say K) should probably try to figure out if Mason wants to play with Miles before we head too far down the road of recruiting Miles. Also, I do have to wonder if we didn't even look at Miles last year, why would we all of the sudden be overly interested now? I know that we missed out on Monroe and another big would be nice but it would seem a bit odd to me.

watzone
04-26-2008, 12:18 AM
We (or should I say K) should probably try to figure out if Mason wants to play with Miles before we head too far down the road of recruiting Miles. Also, I do have to wonder if we didn't even look at Miles last year, why would we all of the sudden be overly interested now? I know that we missed out on Monroe and another big would be nice but it would seem a bit odd to me.

My members have had the answer to this question. Miles has new opportunities to examine.

watzone
04-26-2008, 12:25 AM
So you are saying there ARE inside sources saying something about Miles??????????????????????

Cough twice if the anser is yes.

This exchange never happened.

Well, there are some with inside sources saying things that aren't accurate. And there are some with inside sources that seem to have a grip on the situation. Duke is involved with Miles Plumlee. Teams are able to talk with him now and there are several which have called to inquire about his services. He would make a nice addition to Williams and Czyz in the class of 2008.

FireOgilvie
04-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Well, there are some with inside sources saying things that aren't accurate. And there are some with inside sources that seem to have a grip on the situation. Duke is involved with Miles Plumlee. Teams are able to talk with him now and there are several which have called to inquire about his services. He would make a nice addition to Williams and Czyz in the class of 2008.

I concur.

That would be quite the class.

BD80
04-26-2008, 01:25 AM

Thanks for the info, I have always counted you amongst those with inside sources that have a grip on the situation. I do not want to pry into the premium info (actually I do want to, I just try not to).

Adding Miles would make it almost a Taylor-made class (Sorry couldn't resist)

Would grabbing a decommit from Stanford like this be considered Plumb-picking? (I can't stop, it must be late).

Except for the ugly rumors at IC about McDonald, this has been a day of good news! Lawson. Ellington, Miles Pumlee and J Dawkins!

JasonEvans
04-26-2008, 06:21 AM

I think that Mason and Miles know if they want to play together. I would imagine that before Miles did anything at Duke, he would talk to Mason about it. After all, they live in the same house so I am betting they would talk about it a bit.

The questions about why Duke did not recruit Miles earlier and whether we would be interested bother me. If the coaching staff likes him and want him now and he is free to pick a school, who are we to question why?

Maybe the loss of King opens up some space for a kid like Miles that would not have otherwise been here? Maybe the coaches took a closer look at Miles while they were evaluating Mason and saw something they had not seen before. Bottom line though is that we MAY be interested now and what happened in the past seems irrelevant right now.

Look, Miles committed to Stanford almost a year ago (June of 2007) and was probably recruited/evaluated by his other schools (Indiana, Virginia, Miami, Vandy, and others) well before that. Duke was focussed on Patrick Patterson and Greg Monroe when Miles was making his college choice. Now, very late in the game after we missed on PP and GM, there is a window of opportunity where Miles is suddenly available and, thanks to our recruitment of his brother, we actually have a good idea of what kind of kid Miles is. We are somewhat uniquely qualified to re-evaluate this kid and make a new decision about him. If the coaching staff is interested (and I am hearing that they are) then we, as fans, should be thrilled about that and counting our lucky stars.

It is also worth noting that while Miles is a good prospect and Mason is a very good prospect, their younger brother Marshall is supposedly the best prospect in the family and could easily be a top ten recruit in the class of 2011. I have not problem at all with the Plumlee pipeline running through Duke for the next half dozen years!

--Jason "for a team that was supposedly height challenged, we are suddenly getting a lot bigger!" Evans

sagegrouse
04-26-2008, 06:27 AM

Right. Noone is perfcet.

sagegrouse

davekay1971
04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
zoobs might be better not being injured, but they call HIS travels. his footwork is suspect. he has zero offense beyond 4 feet. he is slow. he can't guard anyone beyond the foul line extended.

Except for the travelling part, this is a perfect description of Hansbrough...

grossbus
04-26-2008, 08:42 AM
"Except for the travelling part, this is a perfect description of Hansbrough..."

hanstravel has, as shown many times this year, a reliable J out to 15 feet. Z has not even taken a shot that far out.

kramerbr
04-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Can there be a Zoubek thread, or can we just stick to the topic of Miles Plumlee by any chance?

BD80
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM
...It is also worth noting that while Miles is a good prospect and Mason is a very good prospect, their younger brother Marshall is supposedly the best prospect in the family and could easily be a top ten recruit in the class of 2011. I have not problem at all with the Plumlee pipeline running through Duke for the next half dozen years!

Would it be a recruiting violation to encourage Mr. and Mrs. Plumlee to consider continued procreation?

1Devil
04-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Would it be a recruiting violation to encourage Mr. and Mrs. Plumlee to consider continued procreation?

Let's see if we can get them to make a point guard.

Indoor66
04-26-2008, 10:13 AM
I think that Mason and Miles know if they want to play together. I would imagine that before Miles did anything at Duke, he would talk to Mason about it. After all, they live in the same house so I am betting they would talk about it a bit.

The questions about why Duke did not recruit Miles earlier and whether we would be interested bother me. If the coaching staff likes him and want him now and he is free to pick a school, who are we to question why?

Maybe the loss of King opens up some space for a kid like Miles that would not have otherwise been here? Maybe the coaches took a closer look at Miles while they were evaluating Mason and saw something they had not seen before. Bottom line though is that we MAY be interested now and what happened in the past seems irrelevant right now.

Look, Miles committed to Stanford almost a year ago (June of 2007) and was probably recruited/evaluated by his other schools (Indiana, Virginia, Miami, Vandy, and others) well before that. Duke was focussed on Patrick Patterson and Greg Monroe when Miles was making his college choice. Now, very late in the game after we missed on PP and GM, there is a window of opportunity where Miles is suddenly available and, thanks to our recruitment of his brother, we actually have a good idea of what kind of kid Miles is. We are somewhat uniquely qualified to re-evaluate this kid and make a new decision about him. If the coaching staff is interested (and I am hearing that they are) then we, as fans, should be thrilled about that and counting our lucky stars.

It is also worth noting that while Miles is a good prospect and Mason is a very good prospect, their younger brother Marshall is supposedly the best prospect in the family and could easily be a top ten recruit in the class of 2011. I have not problem at all with the Plumlee pipeline running through Duke for the next half dozen years!

--Jason "for a team that was supposedly height challenged, we are suddenly getting a lot bigger!" Evans

They could be Duke's Mahaffy family!

CDu
04-26-2008, 10:54 AM
"Except for the travelling part, this is a perfect description of Hansbrough..."

hanstravel has, as shown many times this year, a reliable J out to 15 feet. Z has not even taken a shot that far out.

And Hansbrough actually has pretty good footwork. Yes, he gets away with a lot of travels, but he also has developed a nice spin move. And Hansbrough CAN actually defend bigs on the perimeter, and moves his feet pretty well for a big guy. There are very few similarities between Hansbrough and Zoubek.

JasonEvans
04-26-2008, 10:56 AM
They could be Duke's Mahaffy family!

Who?

-JE

Bluedog
04-26-2008, 11:09 AM
And Hansbrough actually has pretty good footwork. Yes, he gets away with a lot of travels, but he also has developed a nice spin move. And Hansbrough CAN actually defend bigs on the perimeter, and moves his feet pretty well for a big guy. There are very few similarities between Hansbrough and Zoubek.

Hansbrough can defend bigs on the perimeter, but not in the post (although taking charges is sometimes an effective defense). There's a reason he had only like 15 blocks all of last season, while Danny Green had 3 times as many. I'd agree that his footwork is pretty good, though, to get into position to take charges. And his J is pretty solid; and I won't question his offensive skills. But his post D in the NBA would be fairly dismal, IMO.

CDu
04-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Hansbrough can defend bigs on the perimeter, but not in the post (although taking charges is sometimes an effective defense). There's a reason he had only like 15 blocks all of last season, while Danny Green had 3 times as many. I'd agree that his footwork is pretty good, though, to get into position to take charges. And his J is pretty solid; and I won't question his offensive skills. But his post D in the NBA would be fairly dismal, IMO.

I agree. I was just commenting on the comment about the similarities between Hansbrough and Zoubek, not Hansbrough's NBA prospects.

Bay Area Duke Fan
04-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Who?

-JE

The Mahaffy brothers who played at Clemson in the 60's. There was a set of twins and one or two others. Donny, Randy, etc., etc. They were big guys that took up a lot of space on the court in the days when Clemson regularly was at or near the bottom of the ACC. I recall that Press Maravich may have coached the oldest brothers.

mr. synellinden
04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
For what it's worth - and it may not be much - Miles is ranked 101 in the current rivals class of 2008 rankings. Czyz is #113.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 12:02 PM
For what it's worth - and it may not be much - Miles is ranked 101 in the current rivals class of 2008 rankings. Czyz is #113.

I don't think we want to send a scholarship to another project. Those who say we need him are just thinking that we need new blood down low, but I think it is better to wait for a true impact big-man later rather than taking a chance on a project today

Indoor66
04-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Who?

-JE

The Mahaffey family sent 4 boys to Clemson from '60 to '70:

Tom Mahaffey – 6’7” 1960-1962

Donnie Mahaffey – 6’8” 1962-1964

Randy Mahaffey – 6’7” 1965-1967

Richie Mahaffey – 6’7” 1967-1970

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/ACC_player_index.html#M

watzone
04-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Miles was injured during his high school season and this played a role in Masons rise. The Rivals rankings are a joke. I saw the kid play at last seasons NBA Top 100 camp and again during the state chamionships this season. Having interviewed all three Plumlee sons, asking their Father and Mom for quotes and knowing his high school coach I can tell you that they have communicated with one another. If you happened upon my article on Mason for Blue Devil Weekly, you will see where he had entertained playing alongside his brother, but that Duke just felt like the right choice. Miles was present during ALL of those visits to campus. Surely, seeing their sons play together at one school would be enticing to the family. Needless to say, I've had a pretty good grip on the Plumlee's and they are solid prospects.

grossbus
04-26-2008, 01:36 PM
"I've had a pretty good grip on the Plumlee's and they are solid prospects."

and not "projects", right wat?

davekay1971
04-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Perhaps now with JDawk going to Stanford, Miles will consider staying there? Having the Plumlee brothers in a Duke uniform, however, sounds like a fun prospect...

As for asking the Plumlee parents to procreate us another prospect, we should hold off. I remember chanting "One more son" to the Hills on Grant's senior day. Similar restraint toward the Plumlee's would be advisable.

BD80
04-26-2008, 02:45 PM
As for asking the Plumlee parents to procreate us another prospect, we should hold off. I remember chanting "One more son" to the Hills on Grant's senior day. Similar restraint toward the Plumlee's would be advisable.

Now the stakes are even higher! "We" need some athletically and academically talented bigs for Johnny D at Stanford as well.

I've got a Barry White CD I can loan out ...

watzone
04-26-2008, 02:48 PM
"I've had a pretty good grip on the Plumlee's and they are solid prospects."

and not "projects", right wat?

All prospects excpet for a few are projects. But in the sense you are asking, no. What they are is late bloomers. Some kids take a year or so more to fully mature physically. The Plumlees had to catch up to their bodies. Miles will be courted by many. I am sure JD will play into it, but he had little to do with Mason's recruitment. It could be fair to say that starting a relationship with JD could happen, but it is also fair to say that he is already familiar with Duke through his brother and meeting K and the bunch.

BlueintheFace
04-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Here's my solution watzone... Miles goes to Stanford and Derrick Favors commits to Duke... can you please let them know that this is the plan... thanks.

freedevil
04-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Wouldn't it be a little odd if Miles came to Duke now that JD is going to Stanford? I recognize it's more complicated than that, but still...

Ignatius07
04-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't it be a little odd if Miles came to Duke now that JD is going to Stanford? I recognize it's more complicated than that, but still...

Not a very fair trade...

sagegrouse
04-26-2008, 06:08 PM

It would be a horrible start to JD's tenure at Stanford.

sagegrouse

Jim3k
04-26-2008, 07:01 PM
From Miles's POV, he's in the catbird seat. I bet he's got offers now from both Duke and Stanford. Unbelievably great choices. Plus, from a Plumlee family standpoint, Krzyzewski is sitting pretty. Perfect for on down the line.

I say let Miles do what he thinks he should. If JD successfully re-recruits him, fine. If he prefers to come to Duke and play (awaiting his brother's arrival), also fine.

Two good kids; two good schools; and a Duke connection either way.

All I can say now is: GTHC!

(ooh! what if Tommy appears on the scene and Harvard....mmmm...don't think such thoughts....)

norduck
04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080426/SPORTS/80426012/1002&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUS

watzone
04-26-2008, 08:59 PM
It would be a horrible start to JD's tenure at Stanford.

sagegrouse

Dawkins and Stanford could certainly use him, yet so could Duke. Again, JD had little to do with Mason Plumlee's recruitment, meaning he got to know Collins, Wojo and K as did his brother. He attended an after game birthday party for K during the Maryland visit. He became very familiar with Duke by tagging along with his brother. Stanford is a great school, but so is Duke and from where I was sitting he enjoyed Duke. The thought of joining his brother has to be a plus to a family that could watch both sons on one coast. I am sure he will make the decision that is in his heart once a release is granted.

mr. synellinden
04-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Dawkins and Stanford could certainly use him, yet so could Duke. Again, JD had little to do with Mason Plumlee's recruitment, meaning he got to know Collins, Wojo and K as did his brother. He attended an after game birthday party for K during the Maryland visit. He became very familiar with Duke by tagging along with his brother. Stanford is a great school, but so is Duke and from where I was sitting he enjoyed Duke. The thought of joining his brother has to be a plus to a family that could watch both sons on one coast. I am sure he will make the decision that is in his heart once a release is granted.

I know this would rise to the level of premium information, but it sounds to me like you think there is a realistic possibility that Miles will be in a Blue Devil uniform next season. At least there appears to be solid interest on both ends. Would Coach K have a moral issue with taking a kid coming from a commitment to a program where his close friend is headed? Of course, if Miles doesn't want to be at Stanford, wouldn't Duke be the place JD would tell him to go?

watzone
04-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I know this would rise to the level of premium information, but it sounds to me like you think there is a realistic possibility that Miles will be in a Blue Devil uniform next season. At least there appears to be solid interest on both ends. Would Coach K have a moral issue with taking a kid coming from a commitment to a program where his close friend is headed? Of course, if Miles doesn't want to be at Stanford, wouldn't Duke be the place JD would tell him to go?

I said about as much as I can without making members ask why they have to pay;) Let's just see how it plays out.

mr. synellinden
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I said about as much as I can without making members ask why they have to pay;) Let's just see how it plays out.

Fair enough. Thanks for your non-premium insights and information. Look forward to seeing how it plays out.

topps coach
04-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Watzone please post ur website address. I would be interested in looking at it and possibly subscribing.
Has Plumlee's release been grantedand if not when will it happen?
Does anyone have any info re GH and BK recovery from their surgery.

1Devil
04-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Watzone please post ur website address. I would be interested in looking at it and possibly subscribing.
Has Plumlee's release been grantedand if not when will it happen?
Does anyone have any info re GH and BK recovery from their surgery.

You can find watzone at http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog.

El_Diablo
04-26-2008, 11:39 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080426/SPORTS/80426012/1002&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUS

What a great name...Perky Plumlee!!!

watzone
04-26-2008, 11:49 PM
What a great name...Perky Plumlee!!!

That's his nickname. His real name is Millard.

norduck
04-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Dawkins to Stanford is not playing into Miles decision.

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080426/SPORTS/80426012

grossbus
04-27-2008, 07:46 AM
bad link?

BCGroup
04-27-2008, 09:40 AM
bad link?

I think it's this one (linked on the main page)
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080427/SPORTS/80426012/1002&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

3rd Dukie
04-27-2008, 12:09 PM
The Mahaffey family sent 4 boys to Clemson from '60 to '70:

Tom Mahaffey – 6’7” 1960-1962

Donnie Mahaffey – 6’8” 1962-1964

Randy Mahaffey – 6’7” 1965-1967

Richie Mahaffey – 6’7” 1967-1970

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/individual.stats/ACC_player_index.html#M

They all went to LaGrange High School in LaGrange, GA, and every year for what seemed like millenia, they constantly obliterated my high school team in the state tournament.
There had to have been several dozen of them!

Indoor66
04-27-2008, 12:33 PM
They all went to LaGrange High School in LaGrange, GA, and every year for what seemed like millenia, they constantly obliterated my high school team in the state tournament.

There may have been more but those are the only four who played in the ACC.

Mike Corey
04-28-2008, 12:00 AM
Plum trees would look great in the Duke Gardens, don't ya think?

CMS2478
04-28-2008, 09:06 AM

You say there is "solid interest on both ends." Is that just a guess or have you heard this. Not doubting you.....just curious???

mr. synellinden
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM
You say there is "solid interest on both ends." Is that just a guess or have you heard this. Not doubting you.....just curious???

If you read through the posts on this thread, you can make a reasonable assumption that there is mutual interest. Look at post #8 of this thread regarding Duke's interest.

In post #34, Watzone (to whom my post was primarily addressed) says Duke is involved with Miles.

Read Watzone's post #64 regarding Miles' interest in Duke. The messages I get from reading posts of those with more information than me are: Duke is involved and interested; Miles and Mason have considered the possibility of playing together; Miles knows the Duke staff pretty well. The family likes the idea of the two playing together.

You have to think education is important to Miles and the family if he chose Stanford. The family must be high on Duke since Mason committed - in what seemed like a pretty quick fashion. So it seems like Mason was very impressed with what he saw here. There aren't many other schools which offer combined basketball program/education opportunities like Stanford - Duke is one of them. King's departure does open up a spot and leaves us with enough room to continue with the plan/strategy with 2009 (I think).

Here's what it boils down to - why wouldn't Miles be interested in Duke? Others who have access to this kind of information have posted that Duke is involved - so obviously there is interest on that end. I don't think Duke would be involved if Miles were not interested.

CMS2478
04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
If you read through the posts on this thread, you can make a reasonable assumption that there is mutual interest. Look at post #8 of this thread regarding Duke's interest.

In post #34, Watzone (to whom my post was primarily addressed) says Duke is involved with Miles.

Read Watzone's post #64 regarding Miles' interest in Duke. The messages I get from reading posts of those with more information than me are: Duke is involved and interested; Miles and Mason have considered the possibility of playing together; Miles knows the Duke staff pretty well. The family likes the idea of the two playing together.

You have to think education is important to Miles and the family if he chose Stanford. The family must be high on Duke since Mason committed - in what seemed like a pretty quick fashion. So it seems like Mason was very impressed with what he saw here. There aren't many other schools which offer combined basketball program/education opportunities like Stanford - Duke is one of them. King's departure does open up a spot and leaves us with enough room to continue with the plan/strategy with 2009 (I think).

Here's what it boils down to - why wouldn't Miles be interested in Duke? Others who have access to this kind of information have posted that Duke is involved - so obviously there is interest on that end. I don't think Duke would be involved if Miles were not interested.

Once again I was not doubting you...not sure if it came across like that, if so my apologies. Thanks for the clarification. I have been looking at other message boards since posting that question and it is now obvious there is mutual interest. Some posters are claiming to have inside information that is a done deal that he is going to Duke, but I will wait for the official announcement.

Rudy
04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
The linked article suggests that Miles has his nose out of joint at Stanford and JD may not be able to put it back. With the twins gone it would seem that Miles would have more minutes available his first year at Stanford. I would expect JD will talk to the kid and if he is determined to leave JD would recommend Duke as a good place for him to go. I doubt Coach K would undercut JD, but again if the kid is determined to go Duke seems like a good fit, both for him and for Duke.

Jarhead
04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
The linked article suggests that Miles has his nose out of joint at Stanford and JD may not be able to put it back. With the twins gone it would seem that Miles would have more minutes available his first year at Stanford. I would expect JD will talk to the kid and if he is determined to leave JD would recommend Duke as a good place for him to go. I doubt Coach K would undercut JD, but again if the kid is determined to go Duke seems like a good fit, both for him and for Duke.
He would be a great catch if he chooses Duke, but I wonder how the Stanford community would feel about that, and how it would effect JD's welcome in Palo Alto. I hope that JD is successful in getting Plumlee to re-commit to Stanford.

wilko
04-28-2008, 11:32 AM
I hope that JD is successful in getting Plumlee to re-commit to Stanford.

I wish JD all the success in the world. I can go for Stanford as my 2nd favorite team. Nothing but love, respect and well wishing....

BUT Johhny is the competition now..

I hope Miles comes to Duke cuz we need another big.

Papa Moon
04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I know i don't post much and people will probably think i am just joking around....but i am pretty sure he will be playing for Duke next season. I have a friend that plays high school basketball with another stanford recruit, and thats what his friend has been telling him. He also texted me two days before it was released that Johnny Dawkins was going to be interviewing for the Stanford job.

CMS2478
04-28-2008, 11:34 AM
A poster on Devil's Den said Coach K was in Ashville and an offer was made to Miles..........any truth to this? :confused:

mr. synellinden
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Once again I was not doubting you...not sure if it came across like that, if so my apologies. Thanks for the clarification. I have been looking at other message boards since posting that question and it is now obvious there is mutual interest. Some posters are claiming to have inside information that is a done deal that he is going to Duke, but I will wait for the official announcement.

No apologies necessary - it didn't come across that way at all. I was just trying to explain how I came to the conclusion that there was mutual interest.

I would not be surprised at all to hear that he is coming to Duke. Wait and see ...

CMS2478
04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
No apologies necessary - it didn't come across that way at all. I was just trying to explain how I came to the conclusion that there was mutual interest.

I would not be surprised at all to hear that he is coming to Duke. Wait and see ...

It is hard to read "tone of voice" and I didn't know if the elaborate explanation was to "prove yourself" bc you thought I was doubting you. We're good now and thanks again for the info.

P.S. I hope he comes too, bc I think we have enough scholarships available for '09, especially if Henderson leaves after next year.

duke74
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
He would be a great catch if he chooses Duke, but I wonder how the Stanford community would feel about that, and how it would effect JD's welcome in Palo Alto. I hope that JD is successful in getting Plumlee to re-commit to Stanford.

I'm not sure that his decision would have any affect on JD's welcome. In any regard, even if one were to link the events (which I don't), Stanford is trading an unproven recruit for a up-and-coming coaching star with impeccable credentials for his new role. Using an analogy based on this weekend's NFL draft, Stanford is trading a draft choice for an all-pro apprentice. Seems like a great trade to me.

ice-9
04-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Miles Plumlee sounds like a fine player, but is he what we really need? He's 6-10 but a skinny 205 pounds according to Scouts. The brief profile they have there states that he's a facing-basket player with weaknesses in his shot and strength. He sounds like a back-up for Singler and not our answer for the post.

But then again if Zoubek avoids injury and continues his rate of improvement maybe we won't need one. :D

SilkyJ
04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Miles Plumlee sounds like a fine player, but is he what we really need? He's 6-10 but a skinny 205 pounds according to Scouts. The brief profile they have there states that he's a facing-basket player with weaknesses in his shot and strength. He sounds like a back-up for Singler and not our answer for the post.

But then again if Zoubek avoids injury and continues his rate of improvement maybe we won't need one. :D

I dont know if we "need" him, but its not like we looked at the list of 2008 players and said this is the guy we need and want. This is a random circumstance where a good player might just kind of fall into our lap. It would be different if he were a main "target," in that case I would hope he filled a need for us, but that's not the case, so I'm not really worried about it. This is just icing on the cake.

Also, just to note: at 6'10" he'd be 2 inches taller than any of our other starters from last year...

ice-9
04-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Just saw a recent headline stating he's now a respectable 230 pounds...hopefully he can keep adding more strength over the summer (assuming he really does choose to go to Duke :) ).

Even if he's not a straight-up banger, if he turns out like a David West -- good dribble heading to basket, reliable short to mid range jumper, explosiveness, positioning to get rebounds -- that would greatly improve our post play.

MChambers
04-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I dont know if we "need" him, but its not like we looked at the list of 2008 players and said this is the guy we need and want. This is a random circumstance where a good player might just kind of fall into our lap. It would be different if he were a main "target," in that case I would hope he filled a need for us, but that's not the case, so I'm not really worried about it. This is just icing on the cake.

Also, just to note: at 6'10" he'd be 2 inches taller than any of our other starters from last year...

Also, who knows when he was weighed last? Maybe he's started to fill in. The review also says he can block shots to some degree. That would be nice.

Seems like he's a capable big man, but it's not clear how much he'll help next year.

Plus, Coach K has gotten to know his family, and must think they are good folks, which is more important than a lot of things.

Indoor66
04-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Also, who knows when he was weighed last? Maybe he's started to fill in. The review also says he can block shots to some degree. That would be nice.

Seems like he's a capable big man, but it's not clear how much he'll help next year.

Plus, Coach K has gotten to know his family, and must think they are good folks, which is more important than a lot of things.

I read on another site that he is now 6'10", 225 lb

Zeb
04-28-2008, 01:23 PM
if he turns out like a David West ... that would greatly improve our post play.

I doubt anyone would disagree with you that if he turns out to be as good as a NBA all-star forward, that would help us.

MChambers
04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I read on another site that he is now 6'10", 225 lb

Sounds like he's got the Dunleavy growth model. By the first game this fall, he'll weigh more than Zoubek!

devildeac
04-28-2008, 02:24 PM

Probably just a shade under those stats. I saw one site list him at 6'10" and 205 and a friend said more like 6'8.5" or 6'9" and 220-225 and strong.

devildeac
04-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Let's see if we can get them to make a point guard.

That would take an incredible amount of genetic engineering and recessive genes, considering their 3 sons are all taller than 6'8" or 6'9":D

duke74
04-28-2008, 02:38 PM
That would take an incredible amount of genetic engineering and recessive genes, considering their 3 sons are all taller than 6'8" or 6'9":D

Hmmm...a 6'9'' point guard sounds pretty good to me....without needing the genetic engineering (other than for ball skills). "Magic Plumlee" anyone?

devildeac
04-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Plum trees would look great in the Duke Gardens, don't ya think?

No, I think PlumLEES would look MUCH better in CIS:D

3rd Dukie
04-28-2008, 03:58 PM
There may have been more but those are the only four who played in the ACC.

I know. I was just making a feeble joke. But it did seem as though there were a boatload of them.

duketaylor
04-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Very interesting goings-on for the off-season, quite a change. I posted some vague (i thought) info a couple of weeks ago but offended a few and I apologize. Should be an interesting ACC season with the possible mass defections from unc and the possible addition in Derm. We'll see.
GO DUKE!!!

Chard
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I listened to the tail end of a radio interview this evening. The Sports Freaks on 570 WWNC interviewed Christ School Head Coach David Gaines. A few things that he mentioned about Miles Plumlee:

The release from Stanford was asked for before J. Dawkins was announced as the new head coach at Stanford. His decision had nothing to do with Coach Dawkins. Of the three recruits for Stanford NONE of them had been contacted by any Stanford coaches since the former Stanford coach left for LSU. It sounded like this was not a good thing. If Dawkins thinks there is a chance he should make a visit ASAP. However, Coach Gaines stated that Miles would not be at Stanford next year. Probably too late for Dawkins to get Miles to change his mind.

Coach Gaines mentioned that Miles wanted a great education along with playing at the highest level of college basketball. It sounded like this was going to play in his decision on where to attend next year. Coach Gaines said he would tell the radio guys where Miles was going next Monday AFTER the release from Stanford is official. Until then he would not elaborate. He did say is would not be Cincinnati. I don't know if they were joking or not.

Coach Gaines also mentioned that there has been a lot of interest from other schools. He talked about how a player like Miles is now available this late in the recruiting process could be a boon for the school that gets him. Coach Purnell from Clemson was there today to visit with a potential recruit at Christ School and he jokingly told Miles that "there's a scholarship available at Clemson." It wasn't formal but said in jest...sort of.

When asked if Miles could end up at Duke I found the reaction from Coach Gaines Interesting. He did not talk about Duke specifically. He said that Miles "had confidence that he could play at the highest level" and that his confidence had grown over the past year since committing to Stanford. It was a bit odd how he answered that particular question but I was washing dishes so my recollection may be a bit off.

Some of this mirrors the quotes from the citizen-times article linked earlier in this thread.

In my opinion, if Miles ends up at Duke it will be fortunate for Duke to get such a fine player and student athlete. He will fill a need at Duke and I don't consider him a project. After what I heard tonight, my money is on Duke. We'll see.

HDB
04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Where do the recruiting gurus have this kid ranked in his class?

Truth
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Where do the recruiting gurus have this kid ranked in his class?

Number 1*

*available players for 08

SilkyJ
04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Scout.com has him around 50-60. I think this is a touch on the low end as compared to other gurus, others can correct me...

Generally speaking, it would be awesome to land this guy and he's definitely a good recruit, but let's remember that this is a very average class, weak by many standards, so being ranked 50ish isn't anything amazing. I could see him filling a McClure/Melchionni type role (with more rebs since he is bigger) should he matriculate...

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2008

roywhite
04-28-2008, 08:54 PM
A poster on TDD picked up this tidbit

http://blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php?blog=15&title=buncombe_county_track_meet_results&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Miles (and Mason) are decent HS high jumpers

Skitzle
04-28-2008, 09:54 PM
A poster on TDD picked up this tidbit

http://blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php?blog=15&title=buncombe_county_track_meet_results&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Miles (and Mason) are decent HS high jumpers

And I picked up this tidbit. Looks like our boy has changed his name to regain high school eligibility and utilize his size, strength, and arm length for discus.
Individual results (top three)
Discus – 1. Davis Pless (AS) 133-10; 2. Marcus Nelson (CS) 133-6; 3. Alan Youngberg (NB) 133-2.

norduck
04-28-2008, 10:04 PM
And I picked up this tidbit. Looks like our boy has changed his name to regain high school eligibility and utilize his size, strength, and arm length for discus.
Individual results (top three)
Discus – 1. Davis Pless (AS) 133-10; 2. Marcus Nelson (CS) 133-6; 3. Alan Youngberg (NB) 133-2.

scroll down

devildeac
04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
scroll down

It's a shame we can't recruit any ath-a-letes(sic);)

ice-9
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
According to a recent scouts article, Miles is 6'10 and 230 pounds.

Hoosiers Making Play for Plumlee? Premium Story
Miles Plumlee
Miles Plumlee

By John Decker

Date: Apr 28, 2008

The Warsaw, Ind., native has suddenly become one of the biggest names on the recruiting scene since asking for his release from his Stanford letter of intent. Can Indiana get into the mix for the versatile 6-10, 230-pound forward?

To the guy who responded to my post about David West...touche, who couldn't use an NBA caliber player on a college team? But my point was that we don't need a traditional back-to-basket banger to improve our post play, just someone who can play post-defense, get rebounds, make lay-ups and shoot short range jumpers. That's actually kinda Lance Thomas' game, though at 6'8 he probably needs to rely on mobility more than Miles would at 6'10.

Also, at 230 pounds, the only guy who would weigh more (going with the roster info on espn) is Zoubs at 260 pounds. Everyone else is 220 pounds and under! So yes, seems like Miles would be able to help our post quite a bit -- he'd be the second biggest guy on the team in terms of height and weight.

grossbus
04-28-2008, 10:50 PM
"According to a recent scouts article, Miles is 6'10 and 230 pounds."

like i said.

i also said mobile and skilled.

repeat: what's not to want?

JasonEvans
04-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Number 1*

*available players for 08

Actually, Devin Ebanks is ranked significantly higher than Miles and is still available. As recently as a week or two ago, top 5 prospect Tyreke Evans was still available, but he picked Memphis. Technically, John Riek is also still available although he has declared for the NBA draft. He will likely go undrafted though and could, potentially, attend school in the fall. Personally, I think he will go play in Europe or something or perhaps even NBDL. That kid is a tool.

Miles is a top-75ish prospect right now. Not altogether different from, for example, Va Tech's Jeff Allen or Maryland's Braxton Dupree.

--Jason "Miles, Mason, and Marshall -- oh my!" Evans

Truth
04-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Actually, Devin Ebanks is ranked significantly higher than Miles and is still available. As recently as a week or two ago, top 5 prospect Tyreke Evans was still available, but he picked Memphis. Technically, John Riek is also still available although he has declared for the NBA draft. He will likely go undrafted though and could, potentially, attend school in the fall. Personally, I think he will go play in Europe or something or perhaps even NBDL. That kid is a tool.

Miles is a top-75ish prospect right now. Not altogether different from, for example, Va Tech's Jeff Allen or Maryland's Braxton Dupree.

--Jason "Miles, Mason, and Marshall -- oh my!" Evans

Don't ruin my attempt at humor with facts! ;)

Point taken though, and I too am curious how well people feel that Miles's talents will mesh into next year's squad. Are people viewing him with great anticipation simply because he is an unknown quantity and people are anxious for an alternative to the Zoubek / Thomas post players, or does his skill-set and projected development alone merit significant anticipation?

(Part of this query stems from what I feel was overly-high expectations from fans that were placed on Lance Thomas because he was among the last, if not the last, high-profile prospect to committ. I'm hoping us Duke fans are not stepping into a similar position with Miles...)

BD80
04-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Don't ruin my attempt at humor with facts! ;)

Point taken though, and I too am curious how well people feel that Miles's talents will mesh into next year's squad. Are people viewing him with great anticipation simply because he is an unknown quantity and people are anxious for an alternative to the Zoubek / Thomas post players, or does his skill-set and projected development alone merit significant anticipation?

(Part of this query stems from what I feel was overly-high expectations from fans that were placed on Lance Thomas because he was among the last, if not the last, high-profile prospect to commit. I'm hoping us Duke fans are not stepping into a similar position with Miles...)

My high expectations are for the entire team. Bringing in somebody (or some body) with Mile's physical gifts will yield immediate benefits AND great long-term benefits. Having Miles and Czyz will greatly take pressure off of Zoubs and Lance from a foul standpoint. It will also allow each of them to develop more in practice leading to improved post play and defense. I don't think that Miles or Czyz will crack the starting lineup next year, because I expect big strides from Zoubs and I believe Lance will blossom a bit offensively once Brian draws attention in the post. Having 4 "bigs" will allow Kyle and David to play more at the "3" which will put more pressure on the minutes for EMail and Marty behind Paulus, G, Scheyer and Nolan. A true 12 man roster - practices would be brutal. Early games would be full-out chemistry experiments, complete with Coach K's hair frizzing out like Young Einstein.

No, I'm not too excited. When does practice start? Where are the reports on the summer pick-up games?

superdave
04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
No, I'm not too excited. When does practice start? Where are the reports on the summer pick-up games?

Looks like Nick Horvath has been dominating again...

duketaylor
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I think the key for Duke to be successful next year is for someone (anyone) to be able to step in or step up and relieve Kyle of having to guard the opposing big. If Miles or Brian or anyone else can do that then I like our chances. Kyle had more stitches in his face than any player in the K era (actually heard that on K's XM show). Maybe the answer will be Brian starts and plays 18-22 minutes and player X (to be determined) spells him in the middle and player X can't be Kyle.
FWIW, I don't think Miles would start initially but he would see plenty of minutes if he chooses Duke.

Ignatius07
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
My high expectations are for the entire team. Bringing in somebody (or some body) with Mile's physical gifts will yield immediate benefits AND great long-term benefits. Having Miles and Czyz will greatly take pressure off of Zoubs and Lance from a foul standpoint. It will also allow each of them to develop more in practice leading to improved post play and defense. I don't think that Miles or Czyz will crack the starting lineup next year, because I expect big strides from Zoubs and I believe Lance will blossom a bit offensively once Brian draws attention in the post. Having 4 "bigs" will allow Kyle and David to play more at the "3" which will put more pressure on the minutes for EMail and Marty behind Paulus, G, Scheyer and Nolan. A true 12 man roster - practices would be brutal. Early games would be full-out chemistry experiments, complete with Coach K's hair frizzing out like Young Einstein.

Dude - Singler is NOT going to play the 3. I don't know why people keep thinking this is going to happen, especially given how "small" Duke is.

CMS2478
04-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Dude - Singler is NOT going to play the 3. I don't know why people keep thinking this is going to happen, especially given how "small" Duke is.

I tend to agree with you, but it is not absurd to think it could happen. Why couldn't he play the 3? Why couldn't Brian play the center, Lance, at the 4, Singler at the 3? That is not even taking into consideration McClure, Olek, or Miles. If Duke can go small at times, why couldn't they go big at times?

Ignatius07
04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I tend to agree with you, but it is not absurd to think it could happen. Why couldn't he play the 3? Why couldn't Brian play the center, Lance, at the 4, Singler at the 3? That is not even taking into consideration McClure, Olek, or Miles. If Duke can go small at times, why couldn't they go big at times?

Oh, don't get me wrong - Singler definitely could play at the 3. That is where he projects at the next level, after all. I just think any 2 of LT/Z/Czyz are going to be too much of a liability on offense to keep that lineup in for any sustained amount of time. I am sure it will get a few minutes at least, but K doesn't like those types of lineups anyway. As others have pointed out numerous times, Singler really is the ideal Duke 4.

A lot of this depends on LT's and Z's development, of course. Count me as one expecting to see a big improvement from Zoubek (I am still not sure about LT).

BD80
04-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Dude, Coach K loves to create mismatches. Let's say at a deadball, our possession, K substiutes a "4" for a "2", say Plumlee for G. Zoubs and Plumlee are the "bigs" for a couple of possessions and Kyle slides to the "3", forcing a bad matchup for the opposing "3". A minute and a half later, the next dead ball, Nolan subs for Zoub, and the rest of the players slide down (up?) a spot. The poor bastards on the other team spend the next two possessions trying to figure out who they are guarding.

Is a minute or two at a time big minutes? No. But it is now a option that is available and I would expect to see, particularly early in the year.

I would also expect to see a big lineup in certain defensive endgame situations with McClure defending the three and with Singler and another big in the post.

Duvall
04-29-2008, 10:56 AM

Because, aside from Singler, our small players are much, much better than our big players?

It's a terrible idea.

CMS2478
04-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Because, aside from Singler, our small players are much, much better than our big players?

It's a terrible idea.

I wasn't promoting the idea just saying it could happen at some point during the season, but I agree with you that we can't stick to that lineup for long because our guards do the scoring and are the better players.

watzone
04-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Looks like Nick Horvath has been dominating again...

Warning, Horvath sidetrack ahead - Sheesh! A moderator or poster (can't recall) recently reminded me that Nick Horvath was one of my follies in reference to "You don't always get it right (never claimed to)". I do remember him playing well in my pick up reports but I never said he was anything more than capable of a big season or had the ability to break out in my recollection. I really never gave it too much thought and had long forgotten NH in pickups.

He has played pretty well since that time and is earning big bucks. The player I always felt I overrated was Casey Sanders. No matter what I would report on pick ups, some wanted a bunch of cut downs of players to satisfy their need for objective reporting. Truth is, all players look pretty good in impromtu pick ups and analyzing the games is no easy task.

It's amazing how some people always remember what you may have got wrong, but fail to recognize what you got right and that objectively it outweighs what some choose to zoom in on.

If the question in the recent DBR quiz was about me overrating Horvath, I am honored. Next time, remember when I told you how good Nate James, Shane Battier and Chris Carrawell looked in pick ups when all was supposed doom and gloom in K-Ville. Some snickered when I said CC would be All ACC. As it turned out, he was ACC POY. I also said that team would win the ACC and they did. I even told a veteran writer that who frequents these parts as we both watched them. This was the season when Brand, Avery and Maggette bolted for the NBA and I was the first to tell you of Avery and Maggette too. Darn sleazy agents!

My point is I find it interesting that the Horvath is a superstar tag I seem to have inherited is such a joke and it was seemingly assigned to me in DBR lore. Now that I have been told the Horvath joke was on me, I rather like it. The reason being if that's all you got then I have been lucky.

The bottom line is we all refine those evaluating skills as we go. Just this past season I stated that Taylor King would be the ninth man after watching, you guessed it pick ups. Had nothing against him. In fact I liked him a lot and did several articles on him here. Still, over time you know what Duke looks for and you adjust your eyes to that criteria.

So in hindsight, I guess I missed on old St. Nick. I suppose I should have given up at that time. Nah!

Now back on the subject. If Miles gets his release and opts for Duke it is a good thing. I am judging this on actually haven seen him play and realizing both his strengths and weaknesses. I would think people would realize that Duke would not make an offer to chopped liver and trust the coaches judgement. Miles has a lot of upside, listens to his coaches and plays within his abilities. He gets better with time on a consistent basis and comes from a family in which they mature physically slower than others. His upper body strength will be the next thing to come. All one had to do was look at Masons legs and the size of his feet to realize that he will fill out nicely. There Dad has said he grew in the same manner and he played college hoops. Miles would be a very nice addition to Czyz and Williams if and when it happens. I really wish that folks would allow him to announce a decision on his own time and not talk of it as though it was a done deal. Especially considering that he has yet to get an official release. Bottom line is that Miles is the best prepared to help a team of all the Plumlees at this time. He's pretty good, yall.

Classof06
04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree with what jyuwono said above, the common misconception is that Duke needs a banger who can put up 20 and 10. While that would clearly be ideal, what Duke needs is someone who can rebound and score around the basket when needed. If you look at Duke's most glaring losses last season (Pitt, UNC @ CIS, WVU) we were murdered on the glass against Pitt (-18 rebound margin) and WVU (-26). And with UNC, the 'Holes got back-breaking offensive rebounds at crucial junctures of the game.

Zoubek coming off another foot surgery brings another dose of uncertainty to our frontcourt and I personally don't feel comfortable relying on a guy in Lance Thomas who didn't record one game with double-digit rebounds all season.

IMO, if Duke gets Miles Plumlee, that is the equivalent of Christmas in April/May. I would fully expect him to start and/or play a lot of minutes and I would consider Duke a bonafide NC contender, incrementally moreso than I consider us to be right now. Just my $0.02...

Watzone - You're right, we need to let this kid make a decision on his own time. But man, is it hard. I'm salivating at the mouth at the thought of this kid coming to Duke, I really am...

Troublemaker
04-29-2008, 11:34 AM
I agree with what jyuwono said above, the common misconception is that Duke needs a banger who can put up 20 and 10. While that would clearly be ideal, what Duke needs is someone who can rebound and score around the basket when needed. If you look at Duke's most glaring losses last season (Pitt, UNC @ CIS, WVU) we were murdered on the glass against Pitt (-18 rebound margin) and WVU (-26). And with UNC, the 'Holes got back-breaking offensive rebounds at crucial junctures of the game.

Zoubek coming off another foot surgery brings another dose of uncertainty to our frontcourt and I personally don't feel comfortable relying on a guy in Lance Thomas who didn't record one game with double-digit rebounds all season.

IMO, if Duke gets Miles Plumlee, that is the equivalent of Christmas in April/May. I would fully expect him to start and/or play a lot of minutes and I would consider Duke a bonafide NC contender, incrementally moreso than I consider us to be right now. Just my $0.02...

Watzone - You're right, we need to let this kid make a decision on his own time. But man, is it hard. I'm salivating at the mouth at the thought of this kid coming to Duke, I really am...

But why would he make that much of a difference for Duke next season? Miles isn't any more highly-rated than Z and LT were entering college (actually less), and like them, he'll have to add strength. Miles averaged 15 pt, 7 rb at the high school level last season. He's a good prospect but he's not, say, Derrick Favors. While I'd obviously be happy to have him if our coaches are recruiting him, I think his possible addition affects Duke much more in later seasons than next season.

roywhite
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/28/SP5610D72J.DTL

In this article from the SF paper on Johnny's start at Stanford (wow, check out his whirlwind travel schedule), there is a note about his attempt to get Miles Plumlee back in the fold with the Cardinal.

Uhhh..Johnny, we wish you luck on your new job, but maybe not so much luck on this aspect. :)

watzone
04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
But why would he make that much of a difference for Duke next season? Miles isn't any more highly-rated than Z and LT were entering college (actually less), and like them, he'll have to add strength. Miles averaged 15 pt, 7 rb at the high school level last season. He's a good prospect but he's not, say, Derrick Favors. While I'd obviously be happy to have him if our coaches are recruiting him, I think his possible addition affects Duke much more in later seasons than next season.

15 points and 7 rebounds for the state champions who have six kids on the roster who will play major college basketball.

How many Derrick Favors are there? I am not too sure how much he'd play, but he certainly adds depth and ratings mean about as much as my analogies of Nick Horvath;)

CMS2478
04-29-2008, 11:59 AM
But won't we have plenty of scholly's available in '09? It's not like we are passing on another big guy we could have in '09 to get Miles now. We aren't guaranteed anything in the class of '09 at this point, except Mason. I say take him while he is available. Is he a guy that is going to come in and dominate the paint and lead us to a national championship on his shoulders....NO. But is he a guy that could come in and compete for playing time among the big guys we have and add much needed size, rebounding, and shot blocking ability.......YES. It is kind of like being handed a lottery ticket. You didn't pay for it so if it is not a winner who cares? But if it is the winning ticket you were given something very valuable. We really have nothing to lose in this situation since we didn't really recruit "over" someone else in next years class.

Troublemaker
04-29-2008, 12:19 PM
15 points and 7 rebounds for the state champions who have six kids on the roster who will play major college basketball.

How many Derrick Favors are there? I am not too sure how much he'd play, but he certainly adds depth and ratings mean about as much as my analogies of Nick Horvath;)

You didn't answer my question at all. Again, my angle here isn't "Let's not recruit him", it's "Why are we expecting much from him next season?" If the coaches want him, I certainly hope we get him but he sounds like a long-term prospect rather than an immediate impact prospect, which is perfectly fine. I just want to clear up why anyone thinks he'll make a huge difference for Duke next season, which is possible, but I haven't seen a reason to think that yet. If, instead, the belief is he'll add another big body and that's good to have, then yeah, that seems about right.

riverside6
04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Troublemaker,

While you're point may be right, it's somewhat ridiculous to discount him as an immediate impact player based purely upon his recruiting rankings. Just from last season two guys that were comparable in terms of positional ranking come to mind that had immediate impacts, Dejuan Blair (#15 PF) and Jeff Allen (#20 PF).

Troublemaker
04-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Troublemaker,

While you're point may be right, it's somewhat ridiculous to discount him as an immediate impact player based purely upon his recruiting rankings. Just from last season two guys that were comparable in terms of positional ranking come to mind that had immediate impacts, Dejuan Blair (#15 PF) and Jeff Allen (#20 PF).

I'm not ruling anything out -- I'm just asking why people think what they think. (And also, it's not just the rankings. It's his high school statistics and the perception that he needs to get much stronger.) I'm looking for specific reasoning.

Perhaps something along the lines of "I've seen him play eight times now, and each time, he did a good job sustaining position in the post and providing an easy target for entry, so while his build seems slight, he's deceptively strong and may not need as much strength-building as you would think. Also, I've seen him go head-to-head with lots of centers with college size and he was effective against them, using his long reach and good touch to put in jump hooks over them. Overall, because of his deceptive strength and proven skill against players with college size, I think he will make an immediate impact in the college game."

Again, I'm just asking the question. Playing devil's advocate.

Either way, if the coaches want him, then I hope we get him.

SilkyJ
04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
(Part of this query stems from what I feel was overly-high expectations from fans that were placed on Lance Thomas because he was among the last, if not the last, high-profile prospect to committ. I'm hoping us Duke fans are not stepping into a similar position with Miles...)

Yea but Lance was a much higher rated recruit and was a Mickie D in a solid class. So those expectations were more realistic. But I agree, let's not get carried away on Miles, especially be4 he has even gotten a release from his LOI

I would also expect to see a big lineup in certain defensive endgame situations with McClure defending the three and with Singler and another big in the post.

I wouldn't. We go small, for a myriad of reasons (one of them is below), not the least of which is that K prefers ball-handling and FT shooting over size/rebounding in late game situations. Exhibit A: substituting Scheyer for Lance in late game situations last year leaving us with a 4 guard lineup.

Miles would be a very nice addition to Czyz and Williams if and when it happens. I really wish that folks would allow him to announce a decision on his own time and not talk of it as though it was a done deal. Especially considering that he has yet to get an official release. Bottom line is that Miles is the best prepared to help a team of all the Plumlees at this time. He's pretty good, yall.

I'm certainly not considering it a done deal, but all the talk, even from YOU seems like he's durham bound. I mean, you said it wat: "if and when he comes." You said "if and when," not simply "if"...

watzone
04-29-2008, 01:09 PM
You could ask the coaches, Dave Telep, his high school coach, myself and likely the Plumlees and all involved could say different things. In the end no matter what points or counterpoints one makes at this time is conjecture. That said, we'll just have to wait and see if 1) he announces Duke as his destination and 2) see him play.

As for whether he would help in their ranking, I think it safe to say he wouldn't hurt it. The Duke team has a nice little nucleus returning and few players would crack that line up. I have heard people say he would play anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes a game. That's par for the course among averages for freshman PT.

77devil
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I suspect Coach K, in support of his protege, will strongly encourage Miles to seriously consider staying at Stanford.

Classof06
04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I suspect Coach K, in support of his protege, will strongly encourage Miles to seriously consider staying at Stanford.

I'd have to say that's a very naive way of looking at it, especially when the kid has already asked to be released from his LOI. Coach K still loves Dawkins but Dawkins has his own program now. Miles can help Duke and if he decides he wants to come, I can't imagine Coach K welcoming him with anything but open arms.

And, Dawkins already knows Miles is looking at Duke:

"Dawkins may have to battle familiar faces in the process. Plumlee's younger brother Mason committed to Duke in February as part of its 2009 class. And Dawkins has said he would not be surprised if the older Plumlee also ended up there." (Raleigh News Observer)

devilboomer
04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
For those people doubting Miles Plumlee's ability to impact the game...

Remember that he dropped 22 and 10 in a close loss to Oak Hill. Granted Brandon Jennings had like 38 pts, 12 assts, 7 reb, 3 steals or something ridiculous like that in the game...

I'm just saying. 22 and 10 against Oak Hill isn't easy.

Hope this kid comes to Duke. I just think that having Miles, Lance, Dave, Zoubek and Olek as potential post players really allows Kyle to play his natural position.

77devil
04-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I'd have to say that's a very naive way of looking at it, especially when the kid has already asked to be released from his LOI. Coach K still loves Dawkins but Dawkins has his own program now. Miles can help Duke and if he decides he wants to come, I can't imagine Coach K welcoming him with anything but open arms.

"Dawkins may have to battle familiar faces in the process. Plumlee's younger brother Mason committed to Duke in February as part of its 2009 class. And Dawkins has said he would not be surprised if the older Plumlee also ended up there." (Raleigh News Observer)

There is nothing naive about it. Coach K places very high value on loyalty. Read his books. He has demonstrated repeatedly over the years an avoidance of competition against his former assistants. More so with Johnny than anyone else, Coach K knows that his choice of Duke as a high school player, when K was struggling to land big time recruits, was a watershead moment; and J.D. delivered time and again.

You can be sure that Coach K will support Dawkins in this instance and without Johnny asking. Which is not to say that K won't offer the scholarship if, after considering his advice, Miles still wants to attend Duke. But first he will sincerely support J.D.

Blueequalslife23
04-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Kyle was a 3 coming from high school he came to Duke as a 3 but with Mcroberts leaving it altered his game.

formerdukeathlete
04-29-2008, 01:55 PM

I do not see as 77devil suggested (perhaps not seriously - have not read the whole thread) K taking a backseat to Miles in order to give JD a chance to re-recruit. If K can recruit talent he needs and can readily work into the lineup, then he must do so. It is his duty as our b'ball coach.

Miles committed to Stanford before Mason was offered and verbaled for Duke. Accounts are (I am sure shared by many) that Miles will be coming to Duke. It makes excellent sense. It may have been a very close call opting for Stanford in the first place. Now things have changed significantly.

Karl Beem
04-29-2008, 02:32 PM
For those people doubting Miles Plumlee's ability to impact the game...

Remember that he dropped 22 and 10 in a close loss to Oak Hill. Granted Brandon Jennings had like 38 pts, 12 assts, 7 reb, 3 steals or something ridiculous like that in the game...

I'm just saying. 22 and 10 against Oak Hill isn't easy.

Hope this kid comes to Duke. I just think that having Miles, Lance, Dave, Zoubek and Olek as potential post players really allows Kyle to play his natural position.

Greg, G, Jon, Nolan, Elliot and Marty will keep him at the 4.

devilboomer
04-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Greg, G, Jon, Nolan, Elliot and Marty will keep him at the 4.

Kyle is currently playing the 5 on defense. He customarily guards the center on the opposing team.

On offense, we don't have a 5.

Classof06
04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
There is nothing naive about it. Coach K places very high value on loyalty. Read his books. He has demonstrated repeatedly over the years an avoidance of competition against his former assistants. More so with Johnny than anyone else, Coach K knows that his choice of Duke as a high school player, when K was struggling to land big time recruits, was a watershead moment; and J.D. delivered time and again.

You can be sure that Coach K will support Dawkins in this instance and without Johnny asking. Which is not to say that K won't offer the scholarship if, after considering his advice, Miles still wants to attend Duke. But first he will sincerely support J.D.

He'll support Dawkins but not at the expense of his own program. What you're not understanding is that the kid doesn't want to go to Stanford anymore; this is not the equivalent of stealing Dawkins' recruit. Are you saying Krzyzewski should or will coax Miles Plumlee to go back to Stanford? Because that won't happen. And since it won't, the only other logical alternative is to recruit the kid, which is what I and every other Duke fan does and should expect him to do.

Coach K not wanting to coach against his former players and assistants has nothing to do with him passing up uncommitted recruits to appease those same people. The fact that you're trying to draw parallels between the two is just off-base.

In fact, Duke heavily recruited Blake Griffin who ended up at Oklahoma, playing for....wait for it.... Jeff Capel. I'm pretty sure Krzyzewski and Capel are still friends.

SilkyJ
04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
I do not see as 77devil suggested (perhaps not seriously - have not read the whole thread) K taking a backseat to Miles in order to give JD a chance to re-recruit. If K can recruit talent he needs and can readily work into the lineup, then he must do so. It is his duty as our b'ball coach.

Careful using words like "duty" with regard to coach K. You'll find your definition and his vary greatly. I doubt he views it as his "duty" to go after Miles Plumlee.

Coach K not wanting to coach against his former players and assistants has nothing to do with him passing up uncommitted recruits to appease those same people. The fact that you're trying to draw parallels between the two is just off-base.

In fact, Duke heavily recruited Blake Griffin who ended up at Oklahoma, playing for....wait for it.... Jeff Capel. I'm pretty sure Krzyzewski and Capel are still friends.

Jeff Capel ain't....wait for it....Johnny Dawkins. JD is light years closer to coach K than Jeff ever was or is. Not to mention recruiting straight up (i.e. going after Blake Griffin) is not the same as going after a recruit after his future coach leaves the school, and one of your best friend's is hired to replace him. I could elaborate, but I don't really think I need to.

Are you saying Krzyzewski should or will coax Miles Plumlee to go back to Stanford? Because that won't happen. And since it won't, the only other logical alternative is to recruit the kid, which is what I and every other Duke fan does and should expect him to do.

A) obviously not every Duke fan expects him to do that. you are arguing with one who does not expect him to do that.

B) There are not only two options as you suggest: 1) recruit miles or 2) coax him to go back to stanford. He could also 3) sit back and do nothing while letting Johnny give it a go at re-recruiting him, which is what I believe he will do. (Then if johnny is unsuccessful he can go after him).

For the record, I am pretty to very confident that we (Duke) will get Miles.

ugadevil
04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Jeff Capel ain't....wait for it....Johnny Dawkins. JD is light years closer to coach K than Jeff ever was or is. Not to mention recruiting straight up (i.e. going after Blake Griffin) is not the same as going after a recruit after his future coach leaves the school, and one of your best friend's is hired to replace him. I could elaborate, but I don't really think I need to.

He could also 3) sit back and do nothing while letting Johnny give it a go at re-recruiting him, which is what I believe he will do. (Then if johnny is unsuccessful he can go after him).

I agree with you on these accounts. While Coach K probably thinks very highly of Jeff Capel, the relationship with Dawkins is on a completely different level. You'd think the two would be closer just for the simple fact that they work together on a daily basis.

I could see Coach K and Dawkins having conversations about the decision of Miles Plumlee. Perhaps K would meet with Miles and feel like he knows where Miles is heading, and he would then have an honest conversation/assessment with Coach Dawkins. I wouldn't be surprised if JD was willing to do the same thing.

DueBlevil
04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Coach K and Coach Dawkins get Miles in a room and all three just resolve the issue at once. At the very least, as others have suggested, K and Dawkins have obviously discussed the issue. There's no way they view this as some type of recruiting war, that's completely ridiculous to me.

sagegrouse
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Coach K and Coach Dawkins get Miles in a room and all three just resolve the issue at once. At the very least, as others have suggested, K and Dawkins have obviously discussed the issue. There's no way they view this as some type of recruiting war, that's completely ridiculous to me.

Uhhhh.

This has to be an arms-length discussion on the part of Duke. No way are Duke and Stanford going to be in the room together with Miles.

Here's my guess as to how it goes:

K: "You have signed with a really good university and an outstanding head coach. As you know, we think the world of Coach Dawkins. If you decide you don't want to play at Stanford, here is what you will experience if you come to Duke and here are all the reasons you should accept our scholarship offer."

Indoor66
04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Uhhhh.

This has to be an arms-length discussion on the part of Duke. No way are Duke and Stanford going to be in the room together with Miles.

Here's my guess as to how it goes:

K: "You have signed with a really good university and an outstanding head coach. As you know, we think the world of Coach Dawkins. If you decide you don't want to play at Stanford, here is what you will experience if you come to Duke and here are all the reasons you should accept our scholarship offer."

What is all this? The Ashville paper quoted Miles' father as saying that Miles in NOT going to Stanford. Stanford is out of the picture.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080427/SPORTS/80426012/1002&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

roywhite
04-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Based on this article from the San Jose paper (posted by Stickdog on TDD), Johnny's position is very reasonable:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_9092683

"Dawkins has not yet talked with Miles Plumlee, the 6-foot-10 power forward from North Carolina who requested a release from his letter-of-intent last week.

"I'm not certain what Miles is going to do," Dawkins said. "I have actually played a little phone tag with them."

Asked if he would grant Plumlee his release, Dawkins said, "You always want kids that want to be in your program. So if the young man is not sure of his decision or does not feel it's the right fit for him, I'm a believer that the kid should go where he's more comfortable."

Plumlee's brother, Mason, a 6-11 high school junior, has made an oral commitment to Duke, and Dawkins said he wouldn't be surprised if Miles ended up in Durham as well."

A delicate situation, but I trust Johnny and Coach K to handle it ethically.

juise
04-29-2008, 04:48 PM

I wonder how the brothers feel about the prospect of playing with one another. Has that been reported anywhere? (I've read about 75% of this thread, but may have missed it.) If Mason is excited about it, I say we get him in that room with Miles, K, and JD to increase our odds when they're sorting this whole thing out. Also, the parents might like the idea of having two of the sons to home, decreasing their travel. Maybe we need to get them in the room, too. :)

SMO
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
What is all this? The Ashville paper quoted Miles' father as saying that Miles in NOT going to Stanford. Stanford is out of the picture.

Yes, and I imagine it would be hard to reverse course yet again and re-commit to Stanford after saying publicly that you don't want to be there. Stranger things have happened (Billy Donovan?) but I think Stanford is probably out of the question.

BlueintheFace
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I may be missing something here, but could somebody answer this-- Miles never showed any interest in coming to Duke the first time around and Duke never went after him... He grew up a Carolina fan (and yes I know mason did too)....and I have not read a single article that gives us reason to believe that Duke is a likely destination for him, soooo why is everybody talking as if it is down to Stanford and Duke for Miles? The only reason I can see for us to believe he will want to come here is that his brother is committed. Am I missing something?

Classof06
04-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Careful using words like "duty" with regard to coach K. You'll find your definition and his vary greatly. I doubt he views it as his "duty" to go after Miles Plumlee.

A) obviously not every Duke fan expects him to do that. you are arguing with one who does not expect him to do that.

B) There are not only two options as you suggest: 1) recruit miles or 2) coax him to go back to stanford. He could also 3) sit back and do nothing while letting Johnny give it a go at re-recruiting him, which is what I believe he will do. (Then if johnny is unsuccessful he can go after him).

Whether Jeff Capel is Johnny Dawkins or not, the Griffin recruitment is proof that Krzyzewski isn't afraid to recruit kids that are also being recruited by his "pupils" and he shouldn't be. Like I said earlier, Duke going after Miles Plumlee is not Duke trying to steal Dawkins' recruit. Also, assuming you're not good buddies with Coach K, you trying to tell me that Krzyzewski uses a different approach with Capel as opposed to Dawkins is totally speculative. You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

As far as Plumlee is concerned, he asked to be released from his LOI before Dawkins was even named coach and the hiring of Dawkins did nothing to change the fact that the kid doesn't want to be at Stanford. Right there, Kryzyzewski has no obligation to back off. Duke's clearly already been in contact with the family so it looks like K in fact has not backed off. This really has nowhere near as much to do with Dawkins individually as you're making it out to be because much of what's transpired happened before Dawkins was even involved in the situation.

And maybe I shouldn't say every Duke fan, but when a kid that could clearly help Duke is on the market (which Plumlee is or is seeking to be), Duke has a vacant scholly and Duke already has a great relationship with the kid's family, I would fully expect Coach K to go after the kid. And it looks like he's doing just that.

All I'm saying is that, based on the fact that Plumlee doesn't want to be at Stanford, Coach K has no obligation to back off and he shouldn't. Judging by the fact that Duke has wasted little time pursuing Plumlee and the fact that Duke seems to be the frontrunner, it looks like K agrees.

I maintain that, IMO, it is naive to think Krzyzewski will call off the dogs simply because Dawkins is the new coach. If Plumlee said he wanted to wait and talk with Dawkins before making a decision, then that's a totally different deal.

Tell me, SilkyJ, why do you think Duke will end up signing Plumlee?

sagegrouse
04-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah, but Coach K still gives the same speech. And he would do so even if JD wasn't involved.

sagegrouse

watzone
04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I wonder how the brothers feel about the prospect of playing with one another. Has that been reported anywhere? (I've read about 75% of this thread, but may have missed it.) If Mason is excited about it, I say we get him in that room with Miles, K, and JD to increase our odds when they're sorting this whole thing out. Also, the parents might like the idea of having two of the sons to home, decreasing their travel. Maybe we need to get them in the room, too. :)

It has been reported on at least one premium site;)

The article in the newspaper below says they want a release, not that Stanford is out of the picture. They just want to reopen the process and examine their options.

Benjamin Franklin, a longtime writer himself, calls his anonymous brethren "a bunch of misguided souls who don't understand that the whole point of writing is self-promotion." Old Benny liked promotion;)

http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/mp/_archives/2008/2/24/3543610.html

BD80
04-29-2008, 05:32 PM
I may be missing something here, but could somebody answer this-- Miles never showed any interest in coming to Duke the first time around and Duke never went after him... He grew up a Carolina fan (and yes I know mason did too)....and I have not read a single article that gives us reason to believe that Duke is a likely destination for him, soooo why is everybody talking as if it is down to Stanford and Duke for Miles? The only reason I can see for us to believe he will want to come here is that his brother is committed. Am I missing something?

Let's see, Miles was injured and wasn't really on our radar (see Monroe). Miles never visited Duke before committing to Stanford.

Mason draws Duke's interest after Miles commits to Stanford. Mason shares his excitement with Miles. Miles accompanies Mason on his trips to Duke and meets the coaches and sees the facilities and campus. Miles starts to fall in love with Duke, but remains committed to Stanford.

Stanford's AD screws around with the coach's contract who leaves on somewhat bad terms. The recruits get left in the lurch with no one really keeping in touch. Miles feels a bit bitter and realizes this is an opportunity to be released from his letter of intent.

The Duke coaches have had the opportunity to get to know Miles from his visits with Mason. Taylor King has opened a scholarship by transferring. Miles fits a need in the team. It sounds like Mason and Miles would like the chance to play together.

Sounds like things just came together. Why fight it?

ice-9
04-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Troublemaker, I assume Miles really is 6'10 and 230 pounds. He needs to add more strength but I assume those 230 pounds aren't just made of fat. I don't subscribe to any premium sites so I don't really know if he's a good player or not. But I do think having a four-star recruit who is 6'10 and 230 pounds will make a significant impact on the team.

Having Miles means at 5 we have:
- Zoubs as our starter
- Miles as our back-up, and maybe our go-to center when we want to go fast without giving up size (no offense to Zoubs but it's hard to run with him in the line-up)
- Lance when we want to go small-ball

At 4:
- Kyle no longer needs to defend the opposing 5, which preserves his body and keeps him fresh for the post season where we have faltered
- Lance at his natural position with big minutes to spell Kyle; Lance should be MUCH more effective at the 4 than 5
- McClure for experience and defense
- Olek for energy minutes

At 3:
- Henderson
- Kyle if we want to go big with Lance at 4 especially if LT improves as much as I know he can
- McClure at arguably his natural position and for defense

At 2:
- Scheyer, Pocius, Elliot
- Henderson if we want to go big

At 1:
- GP, Nolan
- Scheyer if we want to go big

Basically, adding someone like Miles enables our other players to play more effectively at their natural positions. There's a big ripple effect: Kyle can stay at 4 and stay fresh, Lance can fulfill his true potential at 4, we can go fast without giving up size with Miles at 5, we have a back-up for Zoubs so he can play without fear of fouling out too quickly, we can go big, we can go small...in short, having Miles will bring a lot of synergies to the team beyond what Miles can do as an individual.

Troublemaker
04-29-2008, 09:44 PM
jyuwono -- I buy that, theoretically, Miles can provide Duke with lineup flexibility and enable teammates to be in roles they're comfortable with next season. What I'm wondering, though, is whether he'll actually get minutes as a freshman. How is his skill level? Does his HS team play motion and m2m defense? How much high-major competition has he faced? Will he adjust fast enough to the college game? Is he physically ready (and is he really 6'10" 230 or just 6'9" 210 -- huge difference)? Zoubek only played 7 min/gm as a freshman, and some who saw him in HS compared him to G-man. Likewise, Michael Thompson played 4 min/gm as a freshman, Boateng 3 min/gm as a freshman, you get the picture.

I really don't want to belabor the point, though, and I suppose the only person who can really answer my questions is Miles himself, starting in October. I hope we get him because he sounds like a fine student-athlete, I hope he's ready, I hope he plays well, and I hope he provides all the things that you and others think he can as a freshman.

ice-9
04-29-2008, 11:33 PM
I hear ya -- *crossing fingers.*

We're already very good team without Miles, we probably won't be worse with him, and there's a chance, albeit a small one, that we'll be really good with him. Cost? Only a scholarship made available by King's transfer.

devilboomer
04-29-2008, 11:43 PM
do you really think that Zoubek could start at the 5?

I think the starting line-up stays the same next year, with the only change being Scheyer coming in for Demarcus. And that's just a maybe - Nolan or Elliot might get that spot.

Acymetric
04-29-2008, 11:49 PM
do you really think that Zoubek could start at the 5?

I think the starting line-up stays the same next year, with the only change being Scheyer coming in for Demarcus. And that's just a maybe - Nolan or Elliot might get that spot.

It has to be Scheyer to me, he's the best person to replace Nelson in terms of rebounding, which is something our starting lineup will lack again if Thomas stays in it (barring significant improvement over the summer). I do hold out hope that Zoub will still make strides this summer and can definitely see him starting. A lineup of Paulus, Scheyer, Gerald, Singler, and Zoub sounds pretty good to me, Singler would play a 3/4 kind of role which I think suits him well. Possibly switching Nolan with Paulus or Scheyer depending on how everyone progresses and what kind of style we want to start the game with.

Jumbo
04-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Dude, Coach K loves to create mismatches. Let's say at a deadball, our possession, K substiutes a "4" for a "2", say Plumlee for G. Zoubs and Plumlee are the "bigs" for a couple of possessions and Kyle slides to the "3", forcing a bad matchup for the opposing "3". A minute and a half later, the next dead ball, Nolan subs for Zoub, and the rest of the players slide down (up?) a spot. The poor bastards on the other team spend the next two possessions trying to figure out who they are guarding.

Is a minute or two at a time big minutes? No. But it is now a option that is available and I would expect to see, particularly early in the year.

Every minute Singler spends at the "3" is a minute one of Duke's other top-3 players (Henderson and Scheyer) have to sit. And considering Duke's backup guards (Smith and Williams) conceivably could be among the better players on the team, it wouldn't make sense to move Singler to that spot. He's the prototypical Duke 4. Let him play there, keep him from guarding 5s, and enjoy.

Jumbo
04-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Warning, Horvath sidetrack ahead - Sheesh! A moderator or poster (can't recall) recently reminded me that Nick Horvath was one of my follies in reference to "You don't always get it right (never claimed to)". I do remember him playing well in my pick up reports but I never said he was anything more than capable of a big season or had the ability to break out in my recollection. I really never gave it too much thought and had long forgotten NH in pickups.

The "Horvath summer pickup" question in the quiz had absolutely nothing to do with you. Reports came from everywhere every summer (whether from you, random students, people passing through Cameron, whatever), that Nick was tearing it up. I think even Throatybeard went to a summer game and wrote glowingly about Horvath. The joke is about Nick, not you.

ice-9
04-30-2008, 02:36 AM
It'll depend on how much progress Zoubs makes over the summer and who the opponent is, but yes, I believe (OK, I hope) Zoubs can start. He started in several games last season so the prospect that he'll start in at least a few games next season seems reasonable.

CDu
04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Having Miles means at 5 we have:
- Zoubs as our starter
- Miles as our back-up, and maybe our go-to center when we want to go fast without giving up size (no offense to Zoubs but it's hard to run with him in the line-up)
- Lance when we want to go small-ball

I'll be VERY surprised if Zoubek starts next year. He's had multiple foot injuries (I believe this is surgery #3 - if not, it's at least surgery #2). He wasn't ready to be the starter last year, and I believe he needed a full offseason of work on his lower body strength and balance to have a chance at starting. Well, he's going to lose half the summer now. I think Thomas starts at the 5 again.

At 4:
- Kyle no longer needs to defend the opposing 5, which preserves his body and keeps him fresh for the post season where we have faltered
- Lance at his natural position with big minutes to spell Kyle; Lance should be MUCH more effective at the 4 than 5
- McClure for experience and defense

I agree with this outlook. Especially the part about cutting down on Singler's workload defensively against the 5s.

At 3:
- Henderson
- Kyle if we want to go big with Lance at 4 especially if LT improves as much as I know he can
- McClure at arguably his natural position and for defense
- Olek for energy minutes.

I don't see any situation where Singler, McClure, or Czyz will be logging minutes at the 3. Our best players are Singler, Henderson, and Scheyer (in no particular order). Playing any of those three at the 3 spot means more time that Henderson or Scheyer is not in the game. Plus, I don't think McClure, Czyz, or Singler are suited for the 3 spot in the first place.

At 2:
- Scheyer, Pocius, Elliot
- Henderson if we want to go big

Scheyer will start and two of Smith, Williams, and Pocius will back him up (my guess is Smith and Williams). I will be shocked if we go big very often (if at all). Henderson will be playing the 3 almost exclusively. And if he's not playing the 3, he'll be playing the 4 for spot minutes.

At 1:
- GP, Nolan
- Scheyer if we want to go big

Paulus will start, Smith and Scheyer will back up. I don't think Scheyer at PG means we're going big though (with the exception of having a big PG). I could see us going with Scheyer, Williams/Smith, and Henderson at the guard/wing spots for stretches to give Paulus a break and to take pressure off of Smith as the backup PG. I expect a more fluid "PG" position, as I think Coach K will try to have two guys capable of running the PG spot on the floor most of the time.

Basically, adding someone like Miles enables our other players to play more effectively at their natural positions. There's a big ripple effect: Kyle can stay at 4 and stay fresh, Lance can fulfill his true potential at 4, we can go fast without giving up size with Miles at 5, we have a back-up for Zoubs so he can play without fear of fouling out too quickly, we can go big, we can go small...in short, having Miles will bring a lot of synergies to the team beyond what Miles can do as an individual.

I think the biggest thing that Plumlee would add would be another potential option to play minutes at the 5 spot, allowing Singler to have to defend big guys a little bit less.

Troublemaker
04-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Here's a picture of Miles from the spring of last year ('07 Carolina Challenge)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/41/414865.jpg

He looks to be about 6'9, 205 in that picture. To be 6'10, 230 now, it would've taken significant growth in a year (which is possible).

BD80
04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Every minute Singler spends at the "3" is a minute one of Duke's other top-3 players (Henderson and Scheyer) have to sit. And considering Duke's backup guards (Smith and Williams) conceivably could be among the better players on the team, it wouldn't make sense to move Singler to that spot. He's the prototypical Duke 4. Let him play there, keep him from guarding 5s, and enjoy.

What if Kyle is having trouble guarding the other team's 4 who is stronger than Kyle? Do you ignore the problem and just sit Kyle when he gets in foul trouble, or slide him to the 3 if the match-ups make sense?

I am NOT saying we START Kyle at the 3. I am saying that adding Miles would give us added flexibilty to play Kyle at the 3 for stretches should the situation make sense.

CMS2478
04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
I just hope he comes or this whole thread of discussing minutes, impact, etc. etc. was a giant waste of time. :D

RepoMan
04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Here's a picture of Miles from the spring of last year ('07 Carolina Challenge)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/41/414865.jpg

He looks to be about 6'9, 205 in that picture. To be 6'10, 230 now, it would've taken significant growth in a year (which is possible).

How in the world can you tell he is 6'9" just by looking at that picture!? Just curious.

CDu
04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
What if Kyle is having trouble guarding the other team's 4 who is stronger than Kyle? Do you ignore the problem and just sit Kyle when he gets in foul trouble, or slide him to the 3 if the match-ups make sense?

I am NOT saying we START Kyle at the 3. I am saying that adding Miles would give us added flexibilty to play Kyle at the 3 for stretches should the situation make sense.

Most teams will have a "3" who is substantially quicker than Singler, so he'd still be a liability defensively in your scenario. And since Singler doesn't post people up, you'd be minimizing his size advantage and exposing him as much or more defensively by playing him at the 3. And you'd be doing so at the expense of playing one of your best players (Scheyer or Henderson) in favor of one of your lesser players (at the 5).

Also, I don't think the scenario you present is going to be all that common. How many teams have a dominating "4" that Singler can't handle? The problem for Singler was when he had to guard the "5" spot last year, not the "4" spot. And he creates as much of a mismatch on the other end as any "4" is going to create for him.

Singler should play pretty much exclusively at the "4" spot.

CMS2478
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Most teams will have a "3" who is substantially quicker than Singler, so he'd still be a liability defensively in your scenario. And since Singler doesn't post people up, you'd be minimizing his size advantage and exposing him as much or more defensively by playing him at the 3. And you'd be doing so at the expense of playing one of your best players (Scheyer or Henderson) in favor of one of your lesser players (at the 5).

Also, I don't think the scenario you present is going to be all that common. How many teams have a dominating "4" that Singler can't handle? The problem for Singler was when he had to guard the "5" spot last year, not the "4" spot. And he creates as much of a mismatch on the other end as any "4" is going to create for him.

I love Singler and he makes a very athletic 4, but as a 3.....ehhh not so much.

MChambers
04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Our defense is at its best when we are quicker than the other team and can beat them to spots. Kyle at the 3 isn't quick. He can do a respectable job, but at the 4 he's perfect for the defense.

tux
04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
I saw where Miles is the 17th ranked PF in his class, for whatever that's worth. He's not the caliber of player that Duke would normally recruit, if you trust those rankings. However, he would be a nice addition, IMO. I would not expect him to be an impact player next year. (Of course, most freshmen aren't and I would be very happy to be wrong about that.) Having another body in the post would be nice insurance giving Zoubs frequent injury problems. It also helps in practices, where having a PF-C player (6'10") to battle Brian could be a big help. We would basically be trading a wing (King) who was probably going to see limited minutes for another guy in the post who will (more than likely) also see little PT next year.

If Brian stays healthy, we should be a deep team next year. I expect Nolan and Paulus to both play the 1-2 at times. I agree Henderson is a 3, but we could go big (with him at the 2) or small (with him at the 4). I expect Jon to play anywhere from 1-3, but mostly 2-3. I guess Williams will be a 2 --- I would be very surprised to see him get more than garbage time at PG. This team is so talented on the perimeter, I think K will be very tempted to keep Kyle as the biggest player on the floor for Duke. I just can't see Zoubs and Thomas being on the floor in crunch time. Jon and Gerald and Kyle have to be on the floor (they're --- right now --- our best players). And Nolan is not far behind --- he was showing some great stuff before he injured his leg/knee. Our best 5 (right now) IMO has to be:

Paulus
Nolan / (Williams)
Jon
Gerald
Kyle

K will gravitate toward that lineup ---

Troublemaker
04-30-2008, 10:14 AM
How in the world can you tell he is 6'9" just by looking at that picture!? Just curious.

Just an estimate. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be surprised if I were dead-on, though. We all watch basketball players do their thing as a hobby, so we've developed a sense for height. First thought that popped into my mind was 6'9.

CMS2478
04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Just an estimate. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be surprised if I were dead-on, though. We all watch basketball players do their thing as a hobby, so we've developed a sense for height. First thought that popped into my mind was 6'9.

If you are able to tell the difference between 6'9 and 6'10 from looking at a picture of a player with his knees bent, YOU ARE THE MAN. (not doubting you of course). ;)

Indoor66
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
If you are able to tell the difference between 6'9 and 6'10 from looking at a picture of a player with his knees bent, YOU ARE THE MAN. (not doubting you of course). ;)

Definitely he is THE MAN! The picture was from last year and Miles grew an inch since then and has added 15 lbs. :)

roywhite
04-30-2008, 10:36 AM
I saw where Miles is the 17th ranked PF in his class, for whatever that's worth. He's not the caliber of player that Duke would normally recruit, if you trust those rankings.

Some recent rankings (by Scout, at their positions)
Olek Czyz #27 PF
Taylor King #15 SF
Marty Pocious #16 SG
Jamal Boykin #20 PF
Dave McClure #13 SF

A somewhat mixed group, granted, but not all our recruits are McDonald's All-America players, nor do we necessarily want them to be.

We'll see if Miles comes to Duke, and how he does; seems like a positive addition IMO (and you listed many of the reasons).

Troublemaker
04-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Haha, I can also identify toupees and virgins from 30 feet. Nah, "first thing that pops into my head" isn't very scientific and probably has a huge error. He could be 6'5" there and I wouldn't be shocked.

tux -- I'd usually agree with you about Singler at the 5, but the coaches last season talked a lot about how guarding the 5 wore him down. I think they'll make a concerted effort to avoid that next season. I do agree that the five best players on next year's team will probably not include anyone bigger than Kyle, though.

BD80
04-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Most teams will have a "3" who is substantially quicker than Singler, so he'd still be a liability defensively in your scenario. And since Singler doesn't post people up, you'd be minimizing his size advantage and exposing him as much or more defensively by playing him at the 3. ...

... The problem for Singler was when he had to guard the "5" spot last year, not the "4" spot. ...

I love Singler and he makes a very athletic 4, but as a 3.....ehhh not so much.

I think we can agree that Kyle, at 6' 8", who isn't a post-up player and can have trouble guarding the bigger post players in college, will NOT be a power forward in the NBA. Agreed?

If he can't guard the 3's in college, he won't be a 3 in the NBA either. So you are saying Kyle isn't an NBA prospect? It will be nice having him for four years :D

I think Kyle can guard the 3, he obviously hasn't had the opportunity yet.

Back to the main point, which seems to be lost each and every time. Kyle CAN play the three, and, UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, may get that opportunity more if Miles shows up to shore up the frontcourt. I AGREE that he will be predominantly used at the 4.

MChambers
04-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I think we can agree that Kyle, at 6' 8", who isn't a post-up player and can have trouble guarding the bigger post players in college, will NOT be a power forward in the NBA. Agreed?

If he can't guard the 3's in college, he won't be a 3 in the NBA either. So you are saying Kyle isn't an NBA prospect? It will be nice having him for four years :D

Back to the main point, which seems to be lost each and every time. Kyle CAN play the three, and, UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, may get that opportunity more if Miles shows up to shore up the frontcourt. I AGREE that he will be predominantly used at the 4.

Battier played the 4 at Duke and is an NBA 3. It's pretty common for players to move down a position from college to the NBA. Brand played the 5 at Duke and is a 4 in the NBA.

CDu
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM

I'd say that many (if not most) NBA 3s played the 4 in college (or high school). So yes, I agree that Singler will not be a PF in the NBA.

For similar reasons that most NBA 3s made the transition from being college 4, most college 3s generally have to become NBA 2s. So I think the progression of your argument fails here. Positions do not translate identically from college to the NBA. With regard to his pro prospects, Singler's ability (or inability) to guard college 3s is not going to make or break his chances.

I think Singler can adequately guard SOME college 3s. But that misses the point. He's a huge advantage at the 4 spot. At the 3 spot, he's not an advantage. And he requires us to give away an advantage with Henderson or Scheyer by removing them from the game.

For the reasons I've said from the beginning, I don't see it being a good thing. I just don't see a situation in which Plumlee/Thomas/Singler is more beneficial than Plumlee(or Thomas)/Singler/Henderson(or Scheyer). Could it happen? Maybe. But I think we're going to be better served with Henderson or Scheyer at the 3 over any other option.

Classof06
04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
The more Singler plays the 4 and not the 3 or especially the 5, the better for Duke...

CDu
04-30-2008, 11:37 AM
The more Singler plays the 4 and not the 3 or especially the 5, the better for Duke...

Agreed. If he plays at the 5, he's at a disadvantage size-wise. If he plays at the three, it means we're playing a lesser player at the 4 or 5 instead of Henderson or Scheyer. If he plays at the 4, it's just right.

tux
04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I think we'll see a bunch of different lineups next year, to make an obvious statement. But I also think that (when the game is hanging in the balance) Duke will have Jon, Gerald, Greg, and Kyle on the floor. So, maybe that's with Lance or Zoubek. But, I actually expect to see Nolan or Williams in there quite often with Kyle at the "5". I think the whole "Kyle got worn down playing too much inside" may have some truth to it, but I think it is an oversimplification. Even at the 4, Kyle has to bang for rebounds against some taller players. Kyle hit a wall last year, mainly because so much was expected of him, as he was a freshman and our best player for a long stretch of the season. There's a good chance he would have hit that wall playing along side a traditional 5. (Perhaps more a combination of mental and physical fatigue, IMO.) A healthy summer will mean a stronger Kyle next year...

Classof06
04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I think we'll see a bunch of different lineups next year, to make an obvious statement. But I also think that (when the game is hanging in the balance) Duke will have Jon, Gerald, Greg, and Kyle on the floor. So, maybe that's with Lance or Zoubek. But, I actually expect to see Nolan or Williams in there quite often with Kyle at the "5". I think the whole "Kyle got worn down playing too much inside" may have some truth to it, but I think it is an oversimplification. Even at the 4, Kyle has to bang for rebounds against some taller players. Kyle hit a wall last year, mainly because so much was expected of him, as he was a freshman and our best player for a long stretch of the season. There's a good chance he would have hit that wall playing along side a traditional 5. (Perhaps more a combination of mental and physical fatigue, IMO.) A healthy summer will mean a stronger Kyle next year...

I don't think Singler having to guard the 5s is the only reason he hit that wall but I think it's the predominant factor, no doubt about it. You have to admit that guarding players like DeJuan Blair, Tyler Hansbrough, JJ Hickson and James Mays/Trevor Booker certainly took its toll on Singler. We did ask a lot of Kyle, but I think the most difficult thing we asked him to do was adjust to college basketball on the fly while guarding bigger players out of his position.

By the ACC tourney, the kid was gassed and I think having a healthy center to guard opposing 5s throughout the season would've resulted in a much fresher Singler in March.

Bluedawg
04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
I've never heard anyone say that Miles' potential is as good as Mason's.

I asked this on anther thread and didn't get a response, so i thought i'd try this thread. Is Miles coming here a realistic possibility or is this just wishful thinking?

kramerbr
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I asked this on anther thread and didn't get a response, so i thought i'd try this thread. Is Miles coming here a realistic possibility or is this just wishful thinking?

From a post on TDD:
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1053710.html

"During a phone interview after the news conference, Dawkins said one of the first things he'll try to do is re-recruit Miles Plumlee of Warsaw , Ind. , who has asked to be released from his letter-of-intent to Stanford."

"Dawkins may have to battle familiar faces in the process. Plumlee's younger brother Mason committed to Duke in February as part of its 2009 class. And Dawkins has said he would not be surprised if the older Plumlee also ended up there."

I'd say it's a possibillty if Dawkins brings it up.

JasonEvans
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Folks, this thread is getting really off track with all the talk about next year's lineups. I suppose I can see how we got here based on excitement over the prospect of landing a highly regarded big man at the last minute like this, but out of respect for the Plumlee family wanting to make a decision on their own, could we maybe stop speculating a bit until after Miles has made his decision?

Thanks.

--Jason "I am betting we have an answer on what Miles will be doing next year in less than a week" Evans

Cameron
04-30-2008, 10:35 PM
So if we continued to discuss the situation (as well as add Miles to fantasy Duke lineups) the Plumlee family would be forced to listen to a band of random internet roster prophets and not make the call on their own?

I'm sorry, but I doubt they care what we have to say.

Cam "I'm just having a little fun, as well as temporarily hijacking a flamed out rapper's moniker" Ron

Bluedawg
04-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Folks, this thread is getting really off track with all the talk about next year's lineups. I suppose I can see how we got here based on excitement over the prospect of landing a highly regarded big man at the last minute like this, but out of respect for the Plumlee family wanting to make a decision on their own, could we maybe stop speculating a bit until after Miles has made his decision?

Thanks.

--Jason "I am betting we have an answer on what Miles will be doing next year in less than a week" Evans

Which is why I've asked the question his coming to Duke a realistic possibility or is this just a wild pipe-dream from fans? After 10 pages no I have not seen any statement indicating that he has any interest in Duke.

Acymetric
04-30-2008, 11:42 PM
which is why I've asked the quetion his coming to Duke a realistic possibility or is this just a wild pipe-dream from fans?

You've already seen a quite where Johnny Dawkins (who would be involved in this sort of thing, now for multiple reasons) said that he "would not be surprised if he ended up there" with there obviously meaning Duke based on the sentance. So Johnny Dawkins thinks he might go to Duke. Nobody (probably even miles) knows for sure right now. But clearly it is a reasonable possibility. Read.

devildeac
04-30-2008, 11:44 PM
I believe Lucy was talking about Johnny trying to bring him back to Stanford, not Duke.

Again, is his coming to Duke a realistic possibility or is this just a wild pipe-dream from fans?

I tried to post a reply earlier but somehow, it was not registered. Several conversations I have had with folks believe this is a realistic possibility. It sounds like JD also thinks this is a realistic possibility, too. Check out Watzone's posts earlier on this thread. Let's not turn this into a PP type thread, but allow him and his family plenty of time to arrive at their decision.

Bluedawg
04-30-2008, 11:48 PM
You've already seen a quite where Johnny Dawkins (who would be involved in this sort of thing, now for multiple reasons) said that he "would not be surprised if he ended up there" with there obviously meaning Duke based on the sentance. So Johnny Dawkins thinks he might go to Duke. Nobody (probably even miles) knows for sure right now. But clearly it is a reasonable possibility. Read.

Again, its just speculation, good speculation, but speculation.

Don't be condescending. With a coach like JD trying to get him back nothing is a "reasonable possibility." I want to know if Miles himself has made any indication.

Bluedawg
04-30-2008, 11:51 PM
I tried to post a reply earlier but somehow, it was not registered. Several conversations I have had with folks believe this is a realistic possibility. It sounds like JD also thinks this is a realistic possibility, too. Check out Watzone's posts earlier on this thread. Let's not turn this into a PP type thread, but allow him and his family plenty of time to arrive at their decision.

In case anyone is wondering I misread the post devildeac quoted from and deleted my response it before it caused any confusion. just trying to keep clarity on the board.

Sorry devildeac I tried to do it before anyone had a chance to respond. You beat me to it.

devildeac
04-30-2008, 11:55 PM
In case anyone is wondering I misread the post devildeac quoted from and deleted my response it before it caused any confusion. just trying to keep clarity on the board.

Sorry devildeac I tried to do it before anyone had a chance to respond. You beat me to it.

No apology necessary. I just figgered it was computer idiocy on my part trying to preview my post and going back and forth on the boards too much and simply losing my post.

Chard
05-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Here is the audio (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/ASHEVILLE-NC/WWNC-AM/428%201%20sf.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=ASHEVILLE-NC&NG_FORMAT=newstalk&SITE_ID=1283&STATION_ID=WWNC-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Brian_Hall_%26_Mike_Morgan&PCAST_CAT=Talk_Radio&PCAST_TITLE=Sports_Freaks_%26_HS_Game_of_the_Week) from the interview of Coach Gaines that I wrote about. Pick it up about the 30 minute mark where the interview starts. Select the 4.28.08 hr.-1 listen button here (http://www.wwnc.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=SportsFreaks.xml) in case that first link doesn't work.

roywhite
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Here is the audio (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/ASHEVILLE-NC/WWNC-AM/428%201%20sf.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=ASHEVILLE-NC&NG_FORMAT=newstalk&SITE_ID=1283&STATION_ID=WWNC-AM&PCAST_AUTHOR=Brian_Hall_%26_Mike_Morgan&PCAST_CAT=Talk_Radio&PCAST_TITLE=Sports_Freaks_%26_HS_Game_of_the_Week) from the interview of Coach Gaines that I wrote about. Pick it up about the 30 minute mark where the interview starts. Select the 4.28.08 hr.-1 listen button here (http://www.wwnc.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=SportsFreaks.xml) in case that first link doesn't work.

Thanks, Chard...

I listened to the interview; my take is:

His HS coach is very positive about Miles' ability, athleticism, and confidence
Miles is not going to Stanford
His choice has been made and the coach knows it, but won't divulge
Based on getting the release (which his coach seems sure will happen), the decision should be announced Monday 5/5
Duke is involved in a positive way

I guess we'll see...

freedevil
05-01-2008, 11:07 AM
What other schools is he thought to be considering again?

BD80
05-01-2008, 11:21 AM
What other schools is he thought to be considering again?

No reports have surfaced of Miles contacting schools other than Duke, except to the extent that Coach Dawkins has said he will talk to Miles.

I don't believe that other schools are allowed to contact Miles until he is released from his letter of intent from Stanford. It sounds like the timing of Miles' announcement does not contemplate opening up recruiting.

Bluedawg
05-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Chard...

I listened to the interview; my take is:

His HS coach is very positive about Miles' ability, athleticism, and confidence
Miles is not going to Stanford
His choice has been made and the coach knows it, but won't divulge
Based on getting the release (which his coach seems sure will happen), the decision should be announced Monday 5/5
Duke is involved in a positive way

I guess we'll see...

Thanks..I, of course, could not get the audio up.

So it sounds like a solid possiblity...not just speculation.

CDu
05-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks..I, of course, could not get the audio up.

So it sounds like a solid possiblity...not just speculation.

I'd say it's both a solid possibility AND just speculation. Since neither he nor his has said anything publicly, and since he hasn't officially been released from his commitment.

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 12:44 PM
No reports have surfaced of Miles contacting schools other than Duke, except to the extent that Coach Dawkins has said he will talk to Miles.

I don't believe that other schools are allowed to contact Miles until he is released from his letter of intent from Stanford. It sounds like the timing of Miles' announcement does not contemplate opening up recruiting.

Yes I was confused before, but my parents were at Woodstock so I have an excuse. One post is saying Miles knows where is transfering to, and another saying Dawkins will try and convince him to stay but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a Blue Devil. Then you said, "I don't believe that other schools are allowed to contact Miles until he is released from his letter of intent from Stanford". If another school can't talk to a player until being released from the LOI, how can he KNOW where he can or will go. What I'm saying is, let's say Joe Blow is the top recruit for Georgetown, they lose their coach and Joe wants to go elsewhere. It's not like once out of his LOI Joe can demnd to go to Kentucky, UCLA or where ever. So there has to be some communication doesn't there? Is there a contradiction there that only I am seeing? Or is what you are saying correct and someone, somewhere is breaking NCAA rules?

What this thread needs is some good speculation, possibilities and rumor mongering about Patrick Patterson, Monroe and John Riek!

BD80
05-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I believe Miles is allowed to contact schools, who may then talk to him, but schools other than Stanford are not allowed to initiate contact.

Another question, are schools allowed to contact Miles' coach now to convey that they would be interested in Miles once he is released from his LOI?

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I believe Miles is allowed to contact schools, who may then talk to him, but schools other than Stanford are not allowed to initiate contact.

Another question, are schools allowed to contact Miles' coach now to convey that they would be interested in Miles once he is released from his LOI?

Which Coach? Dawkins, his high school coach; can they contact his parents? You explained my first question very well, but you have to be specific because every answer is just leading to a new question.

Mike Corey
05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/images/plum_early_rimer_mine_small.jpg

roywhite
05-01-2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/images/plum_early_rimer_mine_small.jpg

Okay, Mike...I'll bite (so to speak) on your juicy post

The rumors are finally bearing fruit; this is a plum acquisition; there are three plums in Duke's basketball future?

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Okay, Mike...I'll bite (so to speak) on your juicy post

The rumors are finally bearing fruit; this is a plum acquisition; there are three plums in Duke's basketball future?

Those are plums? I thought they were grapes, as in sour grapes. Which I'm allergic to by the way; I break out in hives and my throat swells to the point I can't breathe.

Truth
05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
...sour grapes. Which I'm allergic to by the way; I break out in hives and my throat swells to the point I can't breathe.

Do what I do. Avoid sour grapes by never losing and never being wrong.

BlueintheFace
05-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Does anybody have an idea as to what kind of time-frame we are working with here? When might Plumlee decide?

Indoor66
05-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Does anybody have an idea as to what kind of time-frame we are working with here? When might Plumlee decide?

I believe his release comes through, if at all, on Monday, 5/5.

Uncle Drew
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Do what I do. Avoid sour grapes by never losing and never being wrong.

Are you my ex wife, the 1st one. The second one had PMS and ESP, potty mouth thought she knew everything. LOL! :D Seriously though, I can't drink wine or even eat a raisin.

People I love this potty mouth censor!!!!! It actually allows the reader to insert a word of profanity of their own choosing!

YmoBeThere
05-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Interesting turn of events...

Edouble
05-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Wow, I can't believe there is such familiarity with the Mahaffy family. One of my best friends through six years of jr. high and high school was Tom Mahaffy's daughter. I knew they all played at Clemson, but I didn't think anyone but me knew about them.

Truth
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Who are you?

I am Truth, the ever-living...

Classof06
05-02-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm not here to say "I told you so," but just like I envisioned, Plumlee was granted his release yesterday afternoon and had signed with Duke by dinner time.

What that tells me is that Krzyzewski didn't call the dogs off just because Dawkins was the coach and he shouldn't have. It was naive to think that Krzyzewski would or should take a back seat in the recruitment because Dawkins was named Stanford coach. It's naive because the kid didn't want to be at Stanford regardless of who ended up being coach; which is why Kryzyzewski didn't waste any time in pursuing the kid.

Welcome aboard, Miles..

CameronCrazy'11
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
just curious, but does anyone have the slightest idea why Miles suddenly wanted out of Stanford? Not that I'm complaining, but the whole situation just seems a little odd.

Classof06
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
just curious, but does anyone have the slightest idea why Miles suddenly wanted out of Stanford? Not that I'm complaining, but the whole situation just seems a little odd.

I would say first and foremost, the coach that recruited Miles (Trent Johnson) is no longer there. No college basketball player wants to enter a situation where they're playing for a coach that didn't recruit them because there are no real loyalties or deep ties; if a player can avoid that situation, they will. Given that Miles hadn't yet enrolled, it was a situation he could somewhat easily avoid. In some ways, he's fortunate things turned out the way they did when they did.

For instance, one of my teammates in high school was recruited by Oliver Purnell to play at Dayton; he signed and went. His (and my) freshman year, he played 15-20 minutes a game on a veteran team and the future was looking bright for him (they actually came to CIS and played Duke over winter break that year). Purnell goes to Clemson after his freshman year, Brian Gregory comes in and the kid never sees solid playing time again. Some of that has to do with him personally but the bottom line is that Gregory brought in his own kids and that was that.

But based on what the parents said, Stanford wasn't very responsive to the Plumlee family and didn't really make an effort to keep them apprised of what was going on, how the search was going, etc. That justifiably turned them off from Stanford. If you really want the kid, then you do your best to keep them informed.

Whatever. Their loss is our gain...

BD80
05-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Just speculation, but it could have been the reality of his situation sinking in. As a high school junior, leaving your family to go across the continent to Stanford might seem exciting. Then, he plays a year with BOTH brothers on the same team, and starts going on trips to Duke and realizes how alone he will be on the west coast. His family is excited about Duke and about how many games they will be able to see in person. He is impressed with the Duke staff and facilities - which he never got to see before committing to Stanford.

Then a scholarship at Duke opens up.

Then the coaching staff at Stanford leaves, the guys he was familiar with. Now he would be totally alone on the west coast.

An opportunity to reconsider the situation arises.

Duke is interested.

I don't see his decision as odd at all.

It is fate :D