PDA

View Full Version : Jamil Wilson recruitment

mr. synellinden
04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
http://www.prepspotlight.com/home/usersubmission/for-wilson-the-sky-is-the-limit--free-story

Nice story on Jamil who seems to be a great, bright kid with his head on straight. It seems like he and his family would be attracted to Duke's academics and the family-like atmosphere of the program. Check out one of his dad's quotes:

“It’s been OK,” said Wilson’s father James, a former Division III ball player who stands at 6-foot-8. “It’s been good. It’s a good learning experience for him. Right now I tell him, ‘Take it with a grain of salt and appreciate what’s happening to you. Continue to work on your game, work on your craft because right now you’re a dime a dozen. There are a whole bunch of you out here. There’s a whole bunch of 6-foot-7 sophomores out here that can play basketball. You’ve gotta have the whole package. You’ve got to be able to play, rebound, shoot, score, play defense and most important you’ve gotta keep your books in order.’”

Jamil says he wants to stay close to home but check out his thoughts on Duke and Coach K:

“I grew up watching Michael Jordan so I was always more of a North Carolina fan,” he said. “But as I started watching more basketball Mike Krzyzewski, I always liked the way he coached and I always liked the way his teams played. So I was a big fan of going to Duke but now that I think, that’s a little [too] far away but I could go that far but I have to sit down and talk to my family.”

Karl Beem
04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Is he in Plumley's class or 2010?

mr. synellinden
04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Is he in Plumley's class or 2010?

Plumlee's

Madrasdukie
04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.prepspotlight.com/home/usersubmission/for-wilson-the-sky-is-the-limit--free-story

Nice story on Jamil who seems to be a great, bright kid with his head on straight. ....

Nice read. Thanks for the link.

For what its worth the following Rivals link says he's not closing door on Duke, yet:
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=800955&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

Edouble
04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I think once we get him on campus and he sees the place and meets the players, we'll be right in the mix.

DukeBlood
04-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I think once we get him on campus and he sees the place and meets the players, we'll be right in the mix.

When a player says "I want to stay close to home".. Its really tough to get him to leave. A visit does help, but I wouldnt count on anything.

Im sure Watzone knows a little more, but im thinking we are on the outside looking in(Just from articles, and from what i have heard). Im not a subscriber to any premium info. Have some friends though... :)

More importantly, I havent heard anything recent on Terrell Vinson or any other targets. I heard they all have been playing well, but not when they are going to make a decision.

Edouble
04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
When a player says "I want to stay close to home".. Its really tough to get him to leave. A visit does help, but I wouldnt count on anything.

Im sure Watzone knows a little more, but im thinking we are on the outside looking in(Just from articles, and from what i have heard). Im not a subscriber to any premium info. Have some friends though... :)

I'm definitely not counting my chickens, but I just remember Jason Williams' mom dragging him to Durham, thinking Boozer wouldn't leave the West coast, thinking we could never get an elite NC kid (Shav) into a Duke uniform, etc. I feel like I've heard the story before, and then when the kid finds out what Duke is all about, things can shift somewhat...

DukeBlood
04-24-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm definitely not counting my chickens, but I just remember Jason Williams' mom dragging him to Durham, thinking Boozer wouldn't leave the West coast, thinking we could never get an elite NC kid (Shav) into a Duke uniform, etc. I feel like I've heard the story before, and then when the kid finds out what Duke is all about, things can shift somewhat...

I agree with you to an extent. Duke isn't out of the running for this kid. If he were to decide today, He would stay close to home. Duke will have to blow him away with his visit.

Its not impossible for kids that say I want to stay close to home to leave the state. But it really is that much harder. Im just saying Duke will have to make a better impression then Wisky or Marquette.

Edouble
04-24-2008, 04:57 PM
I agree with you to an extent. Duke isn't out of the running for this kid. If he were to decide today, He would stay close to home. Duke will have to blow him away with his visit.

Its not impossible for kids that say I want to stay close to home to leave the state. But it really is that much harder. Im just saying Duke will have to make a better impression then Wisky or Marquette.

Yes, I agree with you as well. I think we are just really good at getting ourselves in the position of being in a players top 3 or 4 choices, and often as one of the only out-of-state choices, ie Elliott Williams: UT, Memphis, UVA, Duke. I also think that it's easy on a kid to just say he wants to be close to home so that he doesn't take a lot of local heat during the recruiting process. It's politically better and easier on the recruit if those home schools stay in the mix until the end. In a bunch of cases, the home state schools are on the recruit's short list because that's where they want to go, but I think also that kids can keep their home state schools in the mix as a nod to the local fans, and to make things easier on themselves.

BD80
04-24-2008, 06:15 PM

Our best opportunity would be for him to visit in January when he can get on a plane where it is a balmy 8 degrees with a wind chill well below zero and land in Durham where it is 45 or 50 degrees. Sure did the trick for me oh so many years ago :)

Since the new education/practice facility has been finished, have we had a recruit visit and turn us down?

devilboomer
04-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Our best opportunity would be for him to visit in January when he can get on a plane where it is a balmy 8 degrees with a wind chill well below zero and land in Durham where it is 45 or 50 degrees. Sure did the trick for me oh so many years ago :)

Since the new education/practice facility has been finished, have we had a recruit visit and turn us down?

Greg Echenique.

houstondukie
04-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I read the rivals article on Jamil Wilson. Without giving away too much insider info (I would gladly do so, but that would be disrespectful to other paid subscribers), I have a great feeling about our chances to land this kid. His quotes about Duke showed me he really loves Duke and is dying to play for us. We just haven't offered. I also think that the fact that he is making an official visit to Duke when we haven't even offered him is a good sign.

DukeBlood
04-24-2008, 07:22 PM
I read the rivals article on Jamil Wilson. Without giving away too much insider info (I would gladly do so, but that would be disrespectful to other paid subscribers), I have a great feeling about our chances to land this kid. His quotes about Duke showed me he really loves Duke and is dying to play for us. We just haven't offered. I also think that the fact that he is making an official visit to Duke when we haven't even offered him is a good sign.

Thank you for that information.

But why would he say Locatoin is a factor? It could be Edouble said and its just to keep the media off his back(something I didnt really think of, a great tactic as well).

Anyway, Why doesnt Duke offer? They have one more offer available...

Kenny Boynton
Leslie McDonald
Mason Plumlee(committed)

Do they have 2 more available?? I know Vinson and a few others are on the radar.. Why dont they start giving scholarships out?

houstondukie
04-24-2008, 07:29 PM

But why would he say Locatoin is a factor? It could be Edouble said and its just to keep the media off his back(something I didnt really think of, a great tactic as well).

Kenny Boynton
Leslie McDonald
Mason Plumlee(committed)

Do they have 2 more available?? I know Vinson and a few others are on the radar.. Why dont they start giving scholarships out?

I do think location will play a big factor, but my feeling is that if Duke offered him, he will ultimately decide to leave home. Just a feeling, but a very good feeling.

I don't know why Duke hasn't offered? Perhaps Coach K thinks he doesn't fit our style of play. Not sure.

kramerbr
04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Should have 2 available to offer seems Echinique went elsewhere and King transfered.

DukeBlood
04-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Should have 2 available to offer seems Echinique went elsewhere and King transfered.

Yup, I thought i was missing someone. Guess not.

On the radar. Favors, Vinson, Jon Hood, and Wilson. Im not sure of the others. Dawkins checked out John Wall and a couple others, but not sure if they are "On the radar" anymore or not. Hopefully Coach K will grab a couple more.

I dont think its a good idea to sign 5 players from this class. One or Two of them would almost certainly transfer. Three or maybe four would be great(Boynton, McDonald, Plumlee, and Favors/Vinson/Wilson or Hood)

SilkyJ
04-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't know why Duke hasn't offered? Perhaps Coach K thinks he doesn't fit our style of play. Not sure.

I don't think we'd be recruiting him in the first place if we didn't think he was a fit. Typically, we recruit a bunch of players but are very frugal with our scholarships. I'd chalk it up to that.

yancem
04-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Yup, I thought i was missing someone. Guess not.

On the radar. Favors, Vinson, Jon Hood, and Wilson. Im not sure of the others. Dawkins checked out John Wall and a couple others, but not sure if they are "On the radar" anymore or not. Hopefully Coach K will grab a couple more.

I dont think its a good idea to sign 5 players from this class. One or Two of them would almost certainly transfer. Three or maybe four would be great(Boynton, McDonald, Plumlee, and Favors/Vinson/Wilson or Hood)

Are we still going after Painter and/or Riley? We seemed to be showing interest and then recently, I haven't heard anything. I agree that I would rather not have a class of 5. It seems that whenever we sign a really large class that we either suffer transfers or the following year we have a really small class which inevitably leaves us with a season without seniors.

ne1btunc
04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Location WAS a factor....unfortunately it was because his mother was sick and he wanted to be close to her..duh. if i understand correctly his mother has sense passed away. that is why i think we havent pursued him too hard until now. he seems like a great kid with his head squarely on his shoulders.....hopefully we can knock his socks off on his visit

juise
04-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Greg Echenique.

... canceled his visit. (Correct?)

devilboomer
04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
... canceled his visit. (Correct?)

Came for the Duke/UNC game. Spent the day with the staff, saw the facilities, took in the game, drove home. Didn't crack a smile the entire time. That guy is a rock.

freedevil
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Came for the Duke/UNC game. Spent the day with the staff, saw the facilities, took in the game, drove home. Didn't crack a smile the entire time. That guy is a rock.

Hhmm. I never liked rocks much anyways. :D

SilkyJ
04-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Location WAS a factor....unfortunately it was because his mother was sick and he wanted to be close to her..duh. if i understand correctly his mother has sense passed away. that is why i think we havent pursued him too hard until now. he seems like a great kid with his head squarely on his shoulders.....hopefully we can knock his socks off on his visit

Wow, did not know that. Tough situation for the young man. I'm glad we let him deal with that without getting involved too hard.

DukeBlood
04-24-2008, 11:41 PM

I see.

I did hear that was the reason he was staying home as well, but he also said after she passed it was a factor. I read into that it was because he wanted to stay home and take care of dad(makes sense to me).

Either way, I hope nothing but the best for this kid. Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulder's. If he picks somewhere other then Duke, We all should hope nothing but the best for him.

I believe his Dad has the right mind set with "Books, Books, and more Books". Even if the kid picked somewhere ya hate, cant hate him :)!

Anyway, I have spouted off enough about him. I really hope he comes to Duke but above all else hope he has a great future.

NYC Duke Fan
04-25-2008, 03:55 AM

Kenny Boynton
Leslie McDonald
Mason Plumlee(committed)

All the players you mentioned sound great and I'm sure that they would be excellent kids playing for Duke, but my question still remains , " Where's The Beef" ? Duke needs an inside presence and unless I am mistaken none of those namers including Wilson gives it to you.

DukeBlood
04-25-2008, 04:09 PM
All the players you mentioned sound great and I'm sure that they would be excellent kids playing for Duke, but my question still remains , " Where's The Beef" ? Duke needs an inside presence and unless I am mistaken none of those namers including Wilson gives it to you.

Im not sure.. :/ Im not Coach K so i can't say where it is.

Some people with inside information was saying Duke added some "Beef" from '08. I have no idea what these people were talking about.. It was talked about in a threat on here. Watzone said "too much information". Not quite sure what to believe that means... Just be patient and wait for more i guess.

As far as the people i named, There are a couple others that slipped my mind. Painter is/was on radar.. Its hard to say right now. Things are quiet.

Also, I doubt if any of the Freshman would be better then a Senior Zoubek, or Thomas. Be patient with these two, they should have good JR and SR years :).

dkbaseball
04-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Without having read the article -- supposed to be the best player to come out of Wisconsin in several years. Very athletic 6-7. The thinking in Wisc. has been that he does want to stay near home, and it was between Wisconsin and Marquette, with the latter having the edge. But then Crean left Marquette, and Wisconsin gave out its last scholarship for '09. Wilson has said he doesn't want to announce until the anniversary of his mother's death (birth?) in Feb. of next year. Could be an opportunity for Duke. No question he'd help anybody he plays for.

west_coast_devil
04-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Being originally from WI, I'm betting JW is prob the best prospect to come out of the state since Kyle Weaver. My younger cousin has played against him in AAU and club ball, and says JW is head and shoulders above the rest of the competition that he has played, including the Chicago teams.

DDB4208
08-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Does anyone have more recent information on Jamil Wilson? Watzone? I really like that guy.

Bob Green
08-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have more recent information on Jamil Wilson? Watzone? I really like that guy.

Wilson recently narrowed his list of potential schools to seven:

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/article.asp?nid=15027

He will announce in March 2009.

DDB4208
08-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Thank you Mr. Green this is exactly the information I was looking for. I might be completely wrong but in the articles and blogs I have read its seems that some people have been suggesting that Duke didn't have a lot of interest in him. And on scout it says he has high interest in Michigan State and medium in Duke. I know it is tough to tell but do you personally think that we have a good chance of landing him?

DDB4208
08-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh and incase anyone is interested I found a couple links on Jamil Wilson. No big information but I thought they were interesting.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/?p=379

http://www.spartansweblog.com/2008/04/26/the-scoop-on-jamil-wilson/

Bsim412
09-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Last night i looked on scout.com and saw that Jamil Wilson has set an official visit date with Duke. Jamil has seven schools listed on his list and everyone school on his list has given him a scholarship besides Duke. Duke has already given out 6 scholarships for 2010 and maybe one more for Nate Lubick and 3 scholarships for 2009 just recently offering Ryan Kelly. Watzone do you think Duke could offer Wilson a scholarship on his official visit? :)

RainingThrees
09-13-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd rather offer Jamil Wilson a scholarship than Nate Lubick although it seems that Wilson might go to Michigan St.

Ignatius07
09-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Last night i looked on scout.com and saw that Jamil Wilson has set an official visit date with Duke. Jamil has seven schools listed on his list and everyone school on his list has given him a scholarship besides Duke. Duke has already given out 6 scholarships for 2010 and maybe one more for Nate Lubick and 3 scholarships for 2009 just recently offering Ryan Kelly. Watzone do you think Duke could offer Wilson a scholarship on his official visit? :)

Where would the scholarship come from given, as you say, that he's offered 6 in 2010 and 3 in 2009 already?

ehdg
09-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Where would the scholarship come from given, as you say, that he's offered 6 in 2010 and 3 in 2009 already?

Now I'm not saying Coach K does this but I know other coaches will make offers and then take them first come first answered. Once the scholy's are gone/used up those that didn't take the offer are out of luck.

jimsumner
09-13-2008, 06:55 PM
"Duke has already given out 6 scholarships for 2010 and maybe one more for Nate Lubick and 3 scholarships for 2009 just recently offering Ryan Kelly."

Duke hasn't "given out" six scholarships for 2010. They've offered six. Not an insignificant distinction.

Duke loses Paulus, McClure, Pocius, Henderson, Scheyer, Thomas, and Zoubek over the next two seasons.

That leaves

Singler
Smith
Miles Plumlee
Williams
Czyz

So five guys currently in the program for 2011 and that's assuming Singler comes back for his senior season. And assuming no other attrition.

Add Mason Plumlee. Add Boynton (glass half-full here). Add either Kelly or Wilson. They have to be mutually exclusive.

So that's eight, leaving five schollies for 2010. So to have a scholarship crunch, Singler would have to come back for 2011, no one transfers, Duke would have to sign Boynton (who many think is a one-and-done) and keep him for at least two season and one of Kelly/Wilson, and all six offers for '10. Mathematically possible but not likely.

MarkD83
09-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Duke can get the UNC exemption and give out 20 scholarships (at least it felt that way back in January). :)

jimsumner
09-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Remember when people were villifying K for not going after enough people? Now we're worried that he's going after too many.

Skitzle
10-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Is there still room for Wilson? While I don't mind the idea that we'll only have 3 guards next year (pocius... isn't good enough to be called 'depth') it wouldn't hurt to get one more. Based on what Scout says it looks like Wilson and Russell are the only possible options. We've got 5 commits (09/10) and 4 Offers out. What would it take to have space for one of these two players next year (and the following years?)

Ignatius07
10-10-2008, 11:18 AM
He eliminated Duke last week when he trimmed his list. I don't remember who's left on it but a lot of people see Michigan State as the leader.

jimsumner
10-10-2008, 11:37 AM
"He eliminated Duke last week when he trimmed his list"

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Ignatius07
10-10-2008, 12:43 PM
"He eliminated Duke last week when he trimmed his list"

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Alright, you can call it whatever you want. How about:

When he announced his trimmed list, Duke wasn't on it.

jimsumner
10-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Ignatius,

It's not an insignificant distinction, especially when we're one troll away from a "Mike Krzyzewski missed on Jamil Wilson" thread. Can't recruit those true wings anymore, you know?