PDA

View Full Version : Macklin To Transfer From Georgetown

gotham devil
04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8066238/Macklin-to-transfer-from-Georgetown

geraldsneighbor
04-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Would you give him a call? I don't know alot about him except his 6'9'' and a former HS all-america.

Jumbo
04-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Macklin was never a good fit for the Princeton offense. Given the talent Georgetown has coming in the next couple of years, it was probably the right move for his future.

yancem
04-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Man, I thought only Duke players transferred to other schools! :rolleyes:

Ignatius07
04-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Who else recruited Macklin out of high school?

watzone
04-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Who else recruited Macklin out of high school?

Ohio State and Wake Forest. UNC flirted with him. Maryland and Georgia Tech supposedly offered. A lot of ACC interest.

devilboomer
04-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Georgetown and Duke have very similar admissions standards and are both top-tier basketball programs.

Wonder if there's going to be a phone call made between the Macklin family and the coaching staff...

Ignatius07
04-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Georgetown and Duke have very similar admissions standards and are both top-tier basketball programs.

Wonder if there's going to be a phone call made between the Macklin family and the coaching staff...

I'm sure the staff will at least consider it, but I would say its probably pretty unlikely they seriously pursue Macklin. My reason for saying this is he would have to sit out a year, by which time an 09 player would be showing up on campus. Sure, Macklin would be 3 years older/wiser than an 09 player, but would also only have 2 years of eligibility left. And it's really probably too early for the Duke staff to know their chances with elite bigs in 09, so I can't see them throwing away their chances with the 09 bigs for Macklin.

gotham devil
04-24-2008, 12:17 AM

Please

Marc Egerson, Jessie Sapp, Victor Page, Vernon Macklin, Iverson, etc.

We couldn't go near Dante Taylor (2009) out of infamous National Christian Academy, but they are one of the two favorites along with Maryland.

EasternDB
04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Georgetown has high admissions standards, but they do not carry over to the basketball program.

One of the only reasons I cannot pull for GT.

And let's not forget Patrick Ewing....

Rudy
04-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Georgetown has high admissions standards, but they do not carry over to the basketball program.

One of the only reasons I cannot pull for GT.

And let's not forget Patrick Ewing....

Ewing, Sr. might be the poster child (!) for taking a chance on an academically marginal (!) kid. He graduated from Georgetown in regulation 4 years and the growth in his ability to handle public speaking was remarkable.

jma4life
04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Was Iverson a worse "student" than Dockery? I don't doubt that his off the court incidents were significantly worse as Dockery was nothing if not a quality kid but the I doubt that his purely academic standards were much better than Iverson's if better at all.

I would assume Georgetown admits those kinds of students more consistently, but with Dockery, it became clear that Duke had more leeway than people thought in getting academically poor kids admitted.

And again, I do not dispute that the off the classroom/court incidents are probably a much bigger factor for Duke than for other schools. Duke would never admit Iverson because of the stuff that occurred outside of the court. That is obvious. I am simply responding to the person who sited Iverson as evidence of Duke having higher ACADEMIC standards. That is false. Iverson is evidence of Duke having higher "character" standards.

And finally, I believe the leeway has been proven to be merited my Dockery who, despite attacks from the Chronicle, did well enough to graduate in 4 years from Duke, a feat I am sure many doubted he would accomplish and one which some students admitted purely on academics fail to accomplish.

Edouble
04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Was Iverson a worse "student" than Dockery? I don't doubt that his off the court incidents were significantly worse as Dockery was nothing if not a quality kid but the I doubt that his purely academic standards were much better than Iverson's if better at all.

I would assume Georgetown admits those kinds of students more consistently, but with Dockery, it became clear that Duke had more leeway than people thought in getting academically poor kids admitted.

And again, I do not dispute that the off the classroom/court incidents are probably a much bigger factor for Duke than for other schools. Duke would never admit Iverson because of the stuff that occurred outside of the court. That is obvious. I am simply responding to the person who sited Iverson as evidence of Duke having higher ACADEMIC standards. That is false. Iverson is evidence of Duke having higher "character" standards.

And finally, I believe the leeway has been proven to be merited my Dockery who, despite attacks from the Chronicle, did well enough to graduate in 4 years from Duke, a feat I am sure many doubted he would accomplish and one which some students admitted purely on academics fail to accomplish.

I think the point that the others are making is that for Duke, a guy with poor academics like Dockery is the exception, rather than the rule, whereas this is the exact opposite with Georgetown.

It's true that Iverson's character may have kept him out of Duke (if he had been interested), but that generally speaking, his academics may have kept him out of Duke as well.

greybeard
04-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I think that this is a big, big loss for Georgetown. While I don't disagree with Jumbo, I don't completely agree either. Macklin is a very good passer, and can put it on the floor. Where he falls down is his shooting. If you can't shoot from outside, you cannot play the pivot, high post in the Princeton. However, he could play the spot that Hibbert occupied when they had Green. I suppose the problem is is that Monroe is no Green either.

I think that Macklin might well be better than Monroe. JTIII seems not to think so, unless academics have something to do with this move.

If somebody could help Macklin develop some concepts that would permit him to shoot free throws as if he was actually interested in making them, I'd jump on him. I think that he'd be a terrific player at Duke, terrific!

As a Georgetown fan also, I am very sorry to hear this news. I've enjoyed watching Macklin play this year; really like his interior passes and saw him become a force at times with the ball. and, he can block shots and rebound. big loss.

BD80
04-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Is this an expansion of the Duke curse?

If you beat us out of a particularly coveted recruit, bad things happen?

Wander
04-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Is this an expansion of the Duke curse?

If you beat us out of a particularly coveted recruit, bad things happen?

Let's not also forget the game that vaulted Georgetown back into the national rankings three Januarys ago.

SMO
04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
I think the point that the others are making is that for Duke, a guy with poor academics like Dockery is the exception, rather than the rule, whereas this is the exact opposite with Georgetown.

It's true that Iverson's character may have kept him out of Duke (if he had been interested), but that generally speaking, his academics may have kept him out of Duke as well.

Wasn't it Dockery's test scores that were a concern and not his grades? I thought he did well in high school, but the issue was that he was in a very poor high school and was not well prepared for standardized tests. To me, that shows that the effort was there which should count for something. With a number of other players I would guess that the effort is lacking.

jma4life
04-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I don't remember his GPA, but his test scores were definitely the main controversy. I do think that looking at gpa in addition to test scores is a smart way to make the determination as that does show more about work ethic and willingness to succeed.

Wander
04-24-2008, 09:16 PM

Probably my favorite Chronicle article of all time was Alex Fanaroff's piece on Dockery. It was called "student athletes belong" or something along those lines. Look it up if you haven't read it.

juise
04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Probably my favorite Chronicle article of all time was Alex Fanaroff's piece on Dockery. It was called "student athletes belong" or something along those lines. Look it up if you haven't read it.

Here (http://www.dukechronicle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=45d4888d-87a7-4a73-8912-f6644c278be2).

Wander
04-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Here (http://www.dukechronicle.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=45d4888d-87a7-4a73-8912-f6644c278be2).

That's not the one I was thinking of but it was also good.

juise
04-24-2008, 10:18 PM
That's not the one I was thinking of but it was also good.

Google betrayed me. (Your post is now the #1 search result when I google "fanaroff dockery.") This must be it (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2006/10/24/Column/StudentAthletes.Belong-2384797.shtml).

Wander
04-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Haha yes that's the one.

gotham devil
05-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Per Goodman, he chose Florida.

MChambers
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/07/AR2008050703588.html

Rivers, a guard who played 18 minutes a game last year.

Georgetown has now lost 5 players in the last two years, all of whom were in Thompson's first two recruiting classes. Imagine what folks would say if that happened to Duke.

SMO
05-08-2008, 09:29 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/07/AR2008050703588.html

Rivers, a guard who played 18 minutes a game last year.

Georgetown has now lost 5 players in the last two years, all of whom were in Thompson's first two recruiting classes. Imagine what folks would say if that happened to Duke.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!:eek: :eek: :eek: