PDA

View Full Version : Izzo to the NBA?

Cormac
04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080423/SPORTS07/80423024/1055

It was just mentioned on the Cowherd show too (I know, everyone around here hates the guy, but I personally love him. He rips two of my teams all the time, Duke and Penn St. football, but I still enjoy the show). It looks like he will at least entertain the Bulls vacancy. Anyway, thoughts? I think Izzo is one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball and I would hate to see him go to the league.

SilkyJ
04-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Anyway, thoughts? I think Izzo is one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball and I would hate to see him go to the league.

My thoughts are similar.

There are a handful of bigtime Coaches/programs that I respect b/c they run a clean program and remain on top almost every year and he is in there. (admittedly, so is UNC)

happydays1949
04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I have always liked Izzo. He seems like a good guy.

We need more like him in college basketball.

soccerstud2210
04-23-2008, 02:35 PM
bulls fan here... so i love the thought of izzo to chi-town... and its basically like coaching a college team because of the age of the players on the bulls... their oldest player is 29 (hughes) ....good situation

dukemsu
04-23-2008, 04:19 PM
As a Spartan alum, I certainly hope Izzo does not go to the Bulls, but I could see it happening. Expectations have gotten to the point of ridiculous in East Lansing, and while Izzo does rule the place, I think he is tired of apologizing for Sweet 16 appearances and 25-30 win seasons.

That said, he has a strong class headed by Delvon Roe coming next year, and is on the way to building another excellent class for 09. He is a Spartan to the core, having grad assisted and then been associate coach for Heathcote for years. He has long stated that he is intrigued by the NBA.

That said, I do not think Chicago is a franchise that would take a coach out of college, even one as respected as Izzo, unless their NBA prospects like Rick Carlisle do not work out.

Izzo is one of the true good guys in college basketball, and the sport loses in a big way if he jumps to the pros, makes it 4-5 years, and gets canned (which happens to virtually every NBA coach). I hope he stays in EL but have a sinking feeling that this rumor has significant legs.

dukemsu

weezie
04-23-2008, 05:53 PM
bulls fan here... so i love the thought of izzo to chi-town... and its basically like coaching a college team because of the age of the players on the bulls... their oldest player is 29 (hughes) ....good situation

Izzo in Chi? Ugh. That would be a tough sell, considering he's a son of MI.
He's a good guy, true. And a real Michigeek, so, I hope he gets a better setup elsewhere....someplace warm and sunny, after all those southeastern Michigan winter overcast days....his buddy Mooch will advise him forthrightly!

dukejunkie
04-23-2008, 06:13 PM
If Izzo left, is there a chance MSU lets Roe out of his commitment? Is it too late for him to be eligible elsewhere next season?

That would be a disaster!

phaedrus
04-23-2008, 07:02 PM
...I think he is tired of apologizing for Sweet 16 appearances and 25-30 win seasons.

Wow, sucks to be in that situation! What kind of fans would have expectations like that?

dukemsu
04-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Wow, sucks to be in that situation! What kind of fans would have expectations like that?

Touche. I was just on a Spartan board that I post on, saying that one of the aftereffects of success is trying to maintain it-and the fact some fans do get spoiled.

K has gotten used to this.I'm sure he doesn't like it, but he's used to it. Izzo has a bit thinner skin and may have had enough. Still, it's a sign of success and it will only get worse if State continues to perform at a high level. Izzo's longtime goal has been to get into Duke (he has a serious reverence for K), UNC, Kansas, UCLA territory. This is a byproduct of at least being in the discussion.

dukemsu

Bob Green
04-24-2008, 04:54 AM
I sincerely hope Coach Izzo stays at MSU because he appears to represent what is right in college basketball. However, if he decides to leave for the NBA, a second order affect might be Duke gaining an advantage in the recruitment of Jamil Wilson. Wilson is 6'7" with a versatile set of skills and sounds like the perfect candidate to replace Gerald Henderson at the small forward/third guard position in a year or two.