PDA

View Full Version : On the front-page photo...

Mike Corey
04-23-2008, 09:40 AM
...The photo currently starring on the front page of DBR is hilarious.

But unfortunately, it is a fabrication.

A few weeks ago, after I posted the photo in a thread, a poster named "BluBlood" asked me for the back story of the picture in question. I confessed that I had no idea, but promised to get to the bottom of it.

So I e-mailed the Chapel H*ll City Schools, and received the following response from an assistant superintendent:

While this is quite an amusing photo, I cannot help you with verifying it in any way. The sign in the front says, "Chapel Hill Elementary." We don't have a school by that name in our district, so it's not a real class photo. For this reason, I can only assume that it is the product of someone who works in the realm of urban myths.

Lord Ash
04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
See, now that is doing some research. Nice work, Cor... still a great photo:)

BCGroup
04-23-2008, 10:43 AM
It could be a Chapel Hill Elementary somewhere else, especially since Duke fans are not concentrated in this area. A quick google search locates Chapel Hill Elementary Schools in a variety of states including Georgia and Missouri.

wilson
04-23-2008, 10:46 AM
It's a photoshop special. I've seen it done with other rivalries (both Ohio State-Michigan and Florida-Florida State).

wilson
04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Voila.

http://www.chapman-rienstra.com/photos/littleumfaninohio.jpg

gvtucker
04-23-2008, 11:23 AM

People around here seriously believed that this was a legitimate photo?

Man, DBR is going to have to revise its party line that it draws a group with above average intelligence.

Lord Ash
04-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Actually, would anyone really be surprised if that picture had been real? I certainly wouldn't have been, those southern folks are a bit crazy...

Edouble
04-23-2008, 12:13 PM

A few weeks ago, after I posted the photo in a thread, a poster named "BluBlood" asked me for the back story of the picture in question. I confessed that I had no idea, but promised to get to the bottom of it.

So I e-mailed the Chapel H*ll City Schools, and received the following response from an assistant superintendent:

I thought it was a given that it was not a real photo.

But if this was a real photo... do you think if a school superintendent actually allowed this sort of thing to go on that they would have enough integrity to admit to it?

Mike Corey
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM

No, probably not. But for confirmation's sake, I shared the administrator's assessment which, certainly, may not have been confirmation enough, per EDouble's question.

Either way, Wilson, I like your take!

YmoBeThere
04-23-2008, 02:20 PM

Man, DBR is going to have to revise its party line that it draws a group with above average intelligence.

Above average intelligence doesn't = common sense...I think the party line can stay intact

SupaDave
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Actually, would anyone really be surprised if that picture had been real? I certainly wouldn't have been, those southern folks are a bit crazy...

As opposed to those Northern folks? I think passionate would be a better word.