PDA

View Full Version : Chris Paul

NYC Duke Fan
04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I remember when he played at Wake and he was an excellent player. That said, I never, ever thought that he would become a superstar in the NBA. Boy was I wrong !!!

Congrats to one terrific ball player!!!!!

Ignatius07
04-21-2008, 10:29 PM
I remember when he played at Wake and he was an excellent player. That said, I never, ever thought that he would become a superstar in the NBA. Boy was I wrong !!!

Congrats to one terrific ball player!!!!!

Really? This is not like Boozer's situation - 2nd round draft pick to superstar. Many people thought Paul might declare after his freshman year, and there was quite a bit of talk about how "low" he went in his draft at #4.

Edit: According to his website, Paul was also an All-American in both years at Wake.

Acymetric
04-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Important note: Paul is a dirty player. Maybe he doesn't pull any dirty tricks anymore, but after what he did to Julius Hodge I'll never like for him or pull for a team he is on. In fact I'll do the exact opposite. As a guy, hitting a guy in the balls is just unforgivable except in extreme situations, and no basketball game is ever extreme enough to warrant that. If you're going to hit someone in the heat of the moment, at least have the respect for yourself and your opponent to hit him in the face!

bludev03
04-22-2008, 12:19 AM
I thought it was funny that he did that, and I was happy b/c Hodge was a mega I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.hole who thought he was the shiznit!

jma4life
04-22-2008, 02:01 AM
No doubt I lost major respect for him after that incident. (I had so much respect for him after the 61 point game). That said, he was only in college so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt rather than completely rule him a punk. But make no mistake, for the remainder of his college career, I had almost no respect for the guy. Also I might be wrong but I seem to remember a couple of scuffles with Duke and in particular Redick.

gep
04-22-2008, 02:46 AM
No doubt I lost major respect for him after that incident.

And... that's a lot of the reason that the Patrick Davidson legend will live forever :D

hc5duke
04-22-2008, 03:45 AM
But make no mistake, for the remainder of his college career, I had almost no respect for the guy.

All 3 games? ;) But I agree, whatever respect I had for that guy, I have none right now.

I thought it was funny that he did that, and I was happy b/c Hodge was a mega I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.hole who thought he was the shiznit!

Hodge was a funny guy, and I always liked him. Come on, how can you hate this guy (http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jphollow/julius.html)?
http://www4.ncsu.edu/%7Ejphollow/jules2.jpg

Quote after the groin-punch: "At first, I just wanted to find out if I could still have children. Once I figured out I could have children, it was all good."

Edouble
04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Yeah, I love Julius "seeking stardom from Harlem" or whatever it was he said. His personality reminded me a lot of Chris Carawell, lots of off-the-cuff wisecracks, etc.

I never liked Chris Paul, but it's not suprising that he's an All-Star. I never really thought that the 61 point thing was that impressive. It's impressive that he scored 61 (maybe, he was so much better than anyone else in high school) but it doesn't take incredible character to have grief. Everyone feels loss--saints and punks. He was such a crybaby over the Patrick Davidson thing, and that groin punch to Hodge was inexcusable.

camion
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I have always thought that Paul was the most talented dirty player I have seen in the ACC. I never liked him, but I am not surprised at his success; you don't have to be nice to be good.

Devil07
04-22-2008, 10:21 AM
He was such a crybaby over the Patrick Davidson thing, and that groin punch to Hodge was inexcusable.

Was and is: I heard him speak about a month ago (it was an informal, post-game thing) and when asked about K he brought up the Davidson thing and complained about it. I guess he's still not over it...

That being said, he is a great player. Very talented, and the way the NBA officiates (particularly the hand-check rule) suits his game perfectly. Still can't bring myself to like him though...

moonpie23
04-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Important note: Paul is a dirty player. Maybe he doesn't pull any dirty tricks anymore, but after what he did to Julius Hodge I'll never like for him or pull for a team he is on.

hodge deserved it.......i lost a big dinner on that chump.......acc player of the year indeed....

What does it say about a player who's own nba coach calls him out on his signing day by asking him.. "don't they have a weight room at state?"...and then, later calls in the code red on hodge and mysteriously, hodge gets shot...hodge needs to be sittiing BEHIND forte and mcbob on the D-league bus...

i'm not saying......i'm just sayin...

roywhite
04-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Hornets beat Mavs and win series 4-1

Chris Paul's line for the night:
24 pts 11 rebs 15 assists 0 turnovers

He is just amazing to watch; really controls the game.

gep
04-30-2008, 12:47 AM

I never cared for Chris Paul... my only consolation was that Coach Prosser recruited him and liked him (I think?). But, he is an amazing NBA player... Maybe his style didn't quite work in college, but he's thriving in the league... gotta give him his due props....:rolleyes:

p.s. thanks to Chris, we have the "Patrick Davidson Legend"

Karl Beem
04-30-2008, 07:01 AM

Still a punk.

weezie
04-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Still a punk.

"Hear, hear!"

Hector Vector
04-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Paul has outperformed even his high draft status -- he's not just an all-star, he is a flat-out, game dominating superstar. He has as good a case for MVP as Lebron and Kobe, and he is actually younger than Lebron. He has elevated a team with no expectations to a legit championship contender. Very similar to Isiah Thomas at his peak -- a small man who can impose his will on the game.

moonpie23
04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
i thought he was really good in college, but i also thought he didn't put all he had into his final game with wake (sending them home from the tourny) BECAUSE the NBA was looming large...

he looked liked he could not care less about wake.

mr. synellinden
04-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Parker vs. Paul is going to be a delight to watch.

I was reading Bill Simmons' chat yesterday and someone made the point that two of the best four players in the league are from Wake Forest. He might be right.

I think you'd have to say Kobe and LeBron are 1 -2. I think there is a good argument that Paul and Duncan are 3-4, with maybe Howard or Garnett 5th. With either one, that would make a nice starting 5.

killerleft
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
In just a few short minutes Patrick Davidson did to Paul what nobody in the NBA seems to be able to do - destroy his cool. The laughable part was that Paul initiated all the contact! Why hasn't an NBA team picked up Mr. Davidson? He's the Paul-buster!

roywhite
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Parker vs. Paul is going to be a delight to watch.

I was reading Bill Simmons' chat yesterday and someone made the point that two of the best four players in the league are from Wake Forest. He might be right.

...and Josh Howard is just a toke or two away from that level. :)

hc5duke
05-05-2008, 04:56 AM
The nut-grabber strikes again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNwSC_6H90

davekay1971
05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Important note: Paul is a dirty player. Maybe he doesn't pull any dirty tricks anymore, but after what he did to Julius Hodge I'll never like for him or pull for a team he is on. In fact I'll do the exact opposite. As a guy, hitting a guy in the balls is just unforgivable except in extreme situations, and no basketball game is ever extreme enough to warrant that. If you're going to hit someone in the heat of the moment, at least have the respect for yourself and your opponent to hit him in the face!

That was a very bad (and kind of inexplicable) moment for a guy who has otherwise been a good citizen. I've never met him, but know several people (including my wife) who have, and all of them comment on what a nice, respectful, and good-hearted person he is.

davekay1971
05-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Also, before we rake Paul too thoroughly over the coals for the sucker punch to Hodge, does anyone remember our own beloved Danny Ferry grabbing Shehee's boys once upon a time? ;)

CDu
05-05-2008, 07:28 AM
That was a very bad (and kind of inexplicable) moment for a guy who has otherwise been a good citizen. I've never met him, but know several people (including my wife) who have, and all of them comment on what a nice, respectful, and good-hearted person he is.

He may be a very nice guy off the court, but on the court he has a history of chippiness. That may be the only time he's punched someone in the business, but he was many times involved in scuffles in which he took a cheap shot (elbow, shove, unseen jab) at an opposing player.

Paul tends to play with a high level of emotion, and I think it frequently gets away from him. He is a dirty/chippy player.

roywhite
05-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Also, before we rake Paul too thoroughly over the coals for the sucker punch to Hodge, does anyone remember our own beloved Danny Ferry grabbing Shehee's boys once upon a time? ;)

I recall an altercation between Sheehey (UVa) and Danny Meagher, in which Danny may have, perhaps :) , let some spittle escape.

Don't recall an incident involving Ferry and Sheehey.

Classof06
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
He may be a very nice guy off the court, but on the court he has a history of chippiness. That may be the only time he's punched someone in the business, but he was many times involved in scuffles in which he took a cheap shot (elbow, shove, unseen jab) at an opposing player.

Paul tends to play with a high level of emotion, and I think it frequently gets away from him. He is a dirty/chippy player.

Paul hasn't really done anything to make me think he's a a dirty player in the NBA but I will never forget the Julius Hodge incident. And he was always particularly chippy against Duke but then again, most ACC players are.

The bottom line is that whether I like him or not, he's the best PG in the NBA right now.

DukePA
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
I recall an altercation between Sheehey (UVa) and Danny Meagher, in which Danny may have, perhaps :) , let some spittle escape.

Don't recall an incident involving Ferry and Sheehey.

As I recall, the Crazies subsequently ragged on Sheehey with: "Meagher spit in your face, Meagher spit in your face."

As for Paul, I still haven't forgotten the time when he ground Ewing's face into the court. Ugly and uncalled for.

SupaDave
05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I just had to post this - I needed to refresh my memory. This article pretty much proves every post on here right. Forgot about the ball in Melchionni's face. The Davison legend intwined in all this is just classic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250510150

CDu
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Paul hasn't really done anything to make me think he's a a dirty player in the NBA but I will never forget the Julius Hodge incident. And he was always particularly chippy against Duke but then again, most ACC players are.

The bottom line is that whether I like him or not, he's the best PG in the NBA right now.

I suspect that the lack of evidence from Paul's NBA career is more a function of a lack of exposure (until the playoffs, Paul hadn't gotten much airtime). In college, we got to see a lot of him.

Much of what Paul did that was chippy/dirty was under the radar stuff. In fact, probably a week or so before the punch to Hodge's "mid section" SI printed an article titled "Saint Paul." This was despite PLENTY of minor run-ins with players (generally in scuffles for loose balls). I suspect that the same incidents occur in the NBA. But since we don't see many of Paul's regular season NBA games, we haven't seen those minor incidents.

From the game the other night, they showed a previous incident between Bowen and Paul. Bowen kicks Paul, but prior to that it appears that Paul takes a quick jab at Bowen. Now, both of those guys are dirty.

Similarly, later in the game, Bowen was talking to the official after a foul. Paul walked up to him and bumped into Bowen's shoulder, and then dove backwards trying to draw a technical. That's the type of player Paul is - a punk. He's really talented, but he's a punk. He will do dirty stuff, and I suspect that he still regularly does it, but it has gotten glossed over by the regular season.

Karl Beem
05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
I suspect that the lack of evidence from Paul's NBA career is more a function of a lack of exposure (until the playoffs, Paul hadn't gotten much airtime). In college, we got to see a lot of him.

Much of what Paul did that was chippy/dirty was under the radar stuff. In fact, probably a week or so before the punch to Hodge's "mid section" SI printed an article titled "Saint Paul." This was despite PLENTY of minor run-ins with players (generally in scuffles for loose balls). I suspect that the same incidents occur in the NBA. But since we don't see many of Paul's regular season NBA games, we haven't seen those minor incidents.

From the game the other night, they showed a previous incident between Bowen and Paul. Bowen kicks Paul, but prior to that it appears that Paul takes a quick jab at Bowen. Now, both of those guys are dirty.

Similarly, later in the game, Bowen was talking to the official after a foul. Paul walked up to him and bumped into Bowen's shoulder, and then dove backwards trying to draw a technical. That's the type of player Paul is - a punk. He's really talented, but he's a punk. He will do dirty stuff, and I suspect that he still regularly does it, but it has gotten glossed over by the regular season.

Always a punk.

dkbaseball
05-05-2008, 04:25 PM
As someone who has just moved back to New Orleans, and am catching an upbeat vibe around here for the first time since Katrina, I can't tell you how much I appreciate Paul. At mid-season there was a big question about whether this area could support an NBA team. Now they're selling out the stadium routinely, and the city is abuzz (sorry for the pun). The emergence of Paul and his team have really given this area a lift. He's become the guy that Reggie Bush was supposed to be for the Saints -- the mayor of New Orleans.

hc5duke
05-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I just had to post this - I needed to refresh my memory. This article pretty much proves every post on here right. Forgot about the ball in Melchionni's face. The Davison legend intwined in all this is just classic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250510150

I forgot about that too.

"He fouled me, and I just reacted when I shouldn't have," Paul said. "It was right in front of the referee. That was my fault."

so... "I'm sorry I robbed the bank right in front of the cop. My bad." Nice.

billybreen
05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
As someone who has hated Bruce Bowen's style of play for years, I'm actually kinda happy to see him going face to face with a younger, faster, perhaps even dirtier version of himself. I hope he gets made a fool of for the rest of the series.

roywhite
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
As I type, the Hornets are up big over the Spurs in game two...

There may be a dark side to Chris Paul, but, wow, can this guy play. The Spurs have been great in the playoffs for the last several years, but Paul is just going around them and moving the ball where he wants.

He's a cross between Isiah Thomas and a young John Stockton. We're watching one of the best players in the world. I've followed him pretty closely since high school (I'm in the West Forsyth, NC school district), and his development is just amazing.

billybreen
05-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, Paul is amazing to watch. I've been a Spurs hater for a while (for no good reason, mainly just because they are so boring), so watching them get pasted in the first 2 games was fun. It will be interesting to see what happens on the road.

Acymetric
05-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Yeah, Paul is amazing to watch. I've been a Spurs hater for a while (for no good reason, mainly just because they are so boring), so watching them get pasted in the first 2 games was fun. It will be interesting to see what happens on the road.

I searched for a reason for a long time...finally came up with the "they all complain about calls all the time" issue. Duncan is the worst (every time he's called for a foul or takes a shot and a foul isn't called, he acts like a federal crime has been committed) but some of the others are pretty bad too.

billybreen
05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I searched for a reason for a long time...finally came up with the "they all complain about calls all the time" issue. Duncan is the worst (every time he's called for a foul or takes a shot and a foul isn't called, he acts like a federal crime has been committed) but some of the others are pretty bad too.

Oberto is atrocious. If I wanted to see flopping, I would watch soccer.

JimBD
05-06-2008, 11:04 AM
As someone who has just moved back to New Orleans, and am catching an upbeat vibe around here for the first time since Katrina, I can't tell you how much I appreciate Paul. At mid-season there was a big question about whether this area could support an NBA team. Now they're selling out the stadium routinely, and the city is abuzz (sorry for the pun). The emergence of Paul and his team have really given this area a lift. He's become the guy that Reggie Bush was supposed to be for the Saints -- the mayor of New Orleans.

Just wanted to echo these comments. I too live in the New Orleans area. As a Duke grad, fanatical Duke basketball fan since the mid-sixties, and familiar with the Hodge incident, I was very skeptical when Chris Paul was drafted by the Hornets. But Chris Paul has completely won me over. He has turned New Orleans from a football town into a town that is very much into basketball. I am not aware of any dirty play by Chris Paul in the NBA. Instead, he is very much respected by his peers. He plays with incredible speed, court awareness, and under control. He understands the strengths of his teammates and gets the ball to them where they are in a position to score. He consistently gets over ten assists a game and rarely has a turnover. How often do you see a point guard with double digit assists and 0 to 1 turnovers? Chris Paul does that on a regular basis. He is not a ball hog when it comes to scoring. Most of his points are in the flow of the offense. He generally plays tight defense, he steals the ball, and he rebounds. He runs the offense with calmness and precision, gets his teammates in the right positions, and they seem to have complete trust in him. Chris Paul has been the definition of a team player. He someday may be regarded as one of the best point guards ever. Off the court, he has been the face of the Hornets in New Orleans. He has been readily available for interviews and has been articulate and humble in discussing his own performance, his coaches, his teammates, and other players in the NBA. He has spent a great deal of time with underpriviledged kids in New Orleans and has been a role model to them. He has been a spokesperson for the rebuilding of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and has been very involved in charitable and civic works. He has been very uplifting to people who are struggling to rebuild and put their lives back together. The Hornets have not gotten a lot of National press or tv time, so most of you are equating Chris Paul to what you remember in the ACC (particularly the Hodge incident). But I have been watching Chris Paul for three years in New Orleans and have become a hugh Chris Paul fan. Chris Paul has matured in a very positive manner, both on and off the court. If I were starting a basketball team, Chris Paul might be the first player I would choose. He was a steal when he was drafted by the Hornets.

phaedrus
05-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey, didn't the Hawks have a chance to draft him? Just curious... I don't remember.

juise
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Hey, didn't the Hawks have a chance to draft him? Just curious... I don't remember.

Yes. (http://www.nbadraft.net/2005.asp)

K24U
05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I like his skills. Don't like the man.

ugadevil
05-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Chris Paul is doing to Tony Parker what Tony has done to the league for the last few years.

devildeac
05-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Oberto is atrocious. If I wanted to see flopping, I would watch soccer.

or our feet first diving neighor from a rival school 8-9 miles south on 15-501:p

davekay1971
05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
or our feet first diving neighor from a rival school 8-9 miles south on 15-501:p

Sock first

IStillHateJimBain
05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Wow.......that 2005 draft has to go down as one of the worst ever for talent.
Outside of Deron Williams, Paul and Andrew Bynum, the lottery was bad and the rest of the draft is horrible. Too bad Hansbrough wasn't old enough in 2005. Oh yeah, he was. Sorry.

ugadevil
05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Outside of Deron Williams, Paul and Andrew Bynum, the lottery was bad and the rest of the draft is horrible. Too bad Hansbrough wasn't old enough in 2005. Oh yeah, he was. Sorry.

Yeah, Monta Ellis sure was a steal in that draft.

hc5duke
05-06-2008, 11:20 PM

2005 is head and shoulders above the 2000 draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NBA_draft) in terms of talent. Michael Redd was a big steal (drafted after Carrawell), but other than him and Kenyon Martin, I don't think there are any starters.

eddiehaskell
05-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Hedo Türkoğlu, Mike Miller, Jamal Crawford?

jma4life
05-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Does Stevenson start for the Wizards?

Any one know what happened to Erick Barkley?

dkbaseball
05-08-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't know if I've ever seen anybody better at dribbling under control into the lane and seeing everything that's going on. As many times as he does this -- which for most point guards is a pretty problematic maneuver -- it's amazing how few turnovers he has. Just complete control of the game at all times. Can't remember anybody since Magic who controlled things as well.

BobbyFan
05-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Chris Paul is doing to Tony Parker what Tony has done to the league for the last few years.

...and plenty more.

phaedrus
05-09-2008, 09:46 AM
...and plenty more.

Tony Parker is also doing to Chris Paul what Tony Parker has done to the league in the last few years. Or at least he did last night.

moonpie23
05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
it might be an amazing coaching move to draw CP into a mano v mano battle with tony.....last night it worked.....lots of CP v Parker, not much chandler, less pargo, less west....and a loss for the hornets...

also, moving bowen to peja was a great adjustment...

Shammrog
05-09-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't know if I've ever seen anybody better at dribbling under control into the lane and seeing everything that's going on. As many times as he does this -- which for most point guards is a pretty problematic maneuver -- it's amazing how few turnovers he has. Just complete control of the game at all times. Can't remember anybody since Magic who controlled things as well.

I agree. FWIW, he had a few "punk" incidents in college, but is supposed to be a really nice guy off the court. K even gave him a hug post-game IIRC. He could be like a lot of elite players; just gets really uh "competitive" on the court.

He is fabulous, though. I think he will eventually overtake Isiah as the greatest "little guy" of all time.

SilkyJ
05-09-2008, 04:50 PM

we shouldn't get cocky on this one. One Jon Clay Redickulous was known to do similar things at C-Du's

ZING!

devilirium
05-09-2008, 07:07 PM
The guys that he got tangled up with in the ACC were obviously Hodge, Rashad McCants, and Daniel Ewing. In the Ewing and McCants instances, he just suckerpunched them in the face in each instance.

Having said that, and from what I can tell, he has either kept the tantrums under control or he has matured a little bit. For instance, I saw the Bowen contact a little differently. It looked like Bowen initiated the contact.

He IS an excellent player. He's like Tiny Archibald on steroids.

Duke09
05-15-2008, 10:08 AM
In reference to the front page article about Paul on the Olympic team, why can't Paul take Wade's spot? Wade has been hurt and isn't as explosive as he had been before hurting his knee. I know they play different positions, but team isn't exactly hurting for scorers.

Who are the other PGs on the team? Kidd? Chauncey? I would love to see rolly-polly Deron Williams posting up some Euro guards