PDA

View Full Version : Official GTAIV thread

billybreen
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Since the Official WoW thread was being totally hijacked by Grand Theft Auto IV discussions, it's probably appropriate to give the new Rockstar release a thread of its own.

My preorder has been in to Amazon for well over a year, and I've been waiting for this game for even longer than that. Counting the days until the 29th.

Who else is buying? The odds makers think this may be the largest opening week for any form of media, beating out the last Pirates of the Caribbean.

bbar7502
04-21-2008, 10:27 PM
i have had this on preorder for a long time as well and since my b-day is the day after the release, I know how i will be celebrating, luckily I am off for work.... hey billy i have been reading about all of the online multiplayer modes on gta4....we got to get some people together from the board... with what is said over 100 hours of single player gameplay and with online multiplayer, i hope to squeeze some time in for my wife...:D

pigs2k1
04-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I have been putting off purchasing the PS3 until the GTAIV release. I prefer the PS3 to the Xbox so I can also play GT5 if it's ever released.
Any suggestions on buying a PS3? I think the 40GB version is the best value right now, anyone tried adding a bigger drive? For some reason I can't understand, it looks like the 20GB is priced higher online than the 40GB; what's up with that? Smaller supply? More robust hardware?
Have there been any hardware problems in general? Should I buy a service plan?

billybreen
04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
i have had this on preorder for a long time as well and since my b-day is the day after the release, I know how i will be celebrating, luckily I am off for work.... hey billy i have been reading about all of the online multiplayer modes on gta4....we got to get some people together from the board... with what is said over 100 hours of single player gameplay and with online multiplayer, i hope to squeeze some time in for my wife...:D

Maybe we should create a separate thread for GTAIV widows. My wife is already bracing herself. :)

The multiplayer modes sound awesome. I'm definitely in for some DBR GTA smackdowns once I have some time to explore the game.

RelativeWays
04-22-2008, 07:55 AM
It comes out the day before my birthday. I'm getting the PS3 version instead of the 360.

RelativeWays
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I have been putting off purchasing the PS3 until the GTAIV release. I prefer the PS3 to the Xbox so I can also play GT5 if it's ever released.
Any suggestions on buying a PS3? I think the 40GB version is the best value right now, anyone tried adding a bigger drive? For some reason I can't understand, it looks like the 20GB is priced higher online than the 40GB; what's up with that? Smaller supply? More robust hardware?
Have there been any hardware problems in general? Should I buy a service plan?

The 20 gig still has the emotion engine chipset for the PS2 so its fully compatible with all PS2 games (which is good for me because I have......lets just say a lot). I bought the 20 gig version off of eBay for about $330 last year, now that it and the 60 gig version are no longer in production, they are fetching higher prices online.

If you have no interest in playing PS2 games on your PS3, then the 40 gig is the way to go. There is a rumor that Sony is going to make PS2 games downloadable so there would need to be an emulator patch making them playable on the 40 gig models (and thus the disc based PS2 games would work as well).The hard drive is upgradeable with any standard hard disk based hard drive you can get at Best Buy for a PC. I plan on changing mine but the only thing I don't know is how to tranfer the info from one Hard drive to the next. I don't have any room in my PC to install another hard drive for transfer purposes.

billybreen
04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
It comes out the day before my birthday. I'm getting the PS3 version instead of the 360.

Do you have a 360? If you do, I strongly recommend the 360 version as it will have exclusive downloadable content (new missions, quite possibly new regions or cities).

BlueDevilJay
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Do you have a 360? If you do, I strongly recommend the 360 version as it will have exclusive downloadable content (new missions, quite possibly new regions or cities).

Why would the only do downloadable content for the 360? PS3 is fully capable of downloading updates (add on packs, new maps, etc). Im preparing for more lost productivity at home as soon as the new maps are released at the end of the month for COD4 on PS3. Have they stated the add ons will be only for the 360? I can see the people at Microsoft stating that, but only to try and bolster sales.

hc5duke
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Why would the only do downloadable content for the 360? PS3 is fully capable of downloading updates (add on packs, new maps, etc). Im preparing for more lost productivity at home as soon as the new maps are released at the end of the month for COD4 on PS3. Have they stated the add ons will be only for the 360? I can see the people at Microsoft stating that, but only to try and bolster sales.

I can see there being exclusive add-on for a particular console for a brief period, but it would be ridiculously stupid for Rockstar to make the exclusivity permanent, especially if both games cost the same amount. The only exclusive content that companies get away with is if there is a clear technical superiority in one console (e.g. there are some features of Splinter Cell: Double Agent that is available on {PS3, 360, Windows}, but not on {PS2, Xbox, Wii}). If there is some 360-only exclusive features, I'd imagine those features would eventually be moved over to the PS3 version - maybe 6 months? 1 year?

Having said all that, I'm stuck with getting the PS3 version, since GT5 is a PS3-exclusive.

billybreen
04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I can see there being exclusive add-on for a particular console for a brief period, but it would be ridiculously stupid for Rockstar to make the exclusivity permanent, especially if both games cost the same amount. The only exclusive content that companies get away with is if there is a clear technical superiority in one console (e.g. there are some features of Splinter Cell: Double Agent that is available on {PS3, 360, Windows}, but not on {PS2, Xbox, Wii}). If there is some 360-only exclusive features, I'd imagine those features would eventually be moved over to the PS3 version - maybe 6 months? 1 year?

Having said all that, I'm stuck with getting the PS3 version, since GT5 is a PS3-exclusive.

Yeah, it may well be limited time exclusivity, but nothing official has been announced for the PS3. I suspect Microsoft chipped in a chunk of cash to win this arrangement from Rockstar.

bbar7502
04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
yeah they paid 50 million for it.....so it should at least be a year...

billybreen
04-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Just to get myself even more geeked up, here's an interview with Rockstar's art director (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868124p1.html) about the level of detail in Liberty City.

billybreen
04-22-2008, 06:16 PM
In addition to the article I just linked, IGN will be updating this page all week (http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/827/827005.html). We're so, so close.

bbar7502
04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
this is all about the online multiplayer... i will be playing this for a long time...
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868607p1.html

RelativeWays
04-23-2008, 07:56 AM

The downloadable content will most likely be downloadable missions as opposed to fully realized new areas (it would be a large download if so) but you never know. They might be able to add a neighborhood, but I'm expecting mission, new cars and other vehicles. The DLC is reputed to be about 10 hrs worth of content. Since the game is already supposed to have 100 hrs of content anyway, I think I'll be okay with the PS3 version and there still exists the possibility that the system will get its own DLC for GTA somewhere down the line.

Speaking of DLC, I still need to get the "Bring Down the Sky" mission for Mass Effect.

alteran
04-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Just to get myself even more geeked up, here's an interview with Rockstar's art director (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/868/868124p1.html) about the level of detail in Liberty City.

The Statue of Happiness? Hilarious.

Pretty annoying that content will be limited on PS3, not that Sony doesn't have it coming to them for HD-DVD.

billybreen
04-23-2008, 08:12 AM
The downloadable content will most likely be downloadable missions as opposed to fully realized new areas (it would be a large download if so) but you never know. They might be able to add a neighborhood, but I'm expecting mission, new cars and other vehicles. The DLC is reputed to be about 10 hrs worth of content. Since the game is already supposed to have 100 hrs of content anyway, I think I'll be okay with the PS3 version and there still exists the possibility that the system will get its own DLC for GTA somewhere down the line.

Speaking of DLC, I still need to get the "Bring Down the Sky" mission for Mass Effect.

This is the source for my rumor (http://www.gamervision.com/gamer/veggie_jackson/news/article/rumour_gta_iv_dlc_will_be_new_cities_). I'm skeptical, but it would sure be nice.

If the PS3 comes out with unique DLC at some point, I would consider getting a PS3 just so I could experience it all. Is that compulsive behavior? Don't answer that.

billybreen
04-23-2008, 08:14 AM
The Statue of Happiness? Hilarious.

That's one of my favorite aspects of GTA titles: the humor is the best in the gaming world.

I was really impressed with that piece. The art people were crazy -- they used census data for boroughs of New York to make sure the ethnic mix of pedestrians in different areas was authentic? That's nuts.

Lord Ash
04-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I wonder how close to real NY it will be? In other words, since I know my way around the city, will that help? I know they said it wasn't a brick by brick recreation... I wish it was:)

Oh... and stupid locked areas... I hate that. Just let me drive around the whole damn city from the start pls.

billybreen
04-23-2008, 10:55 AM
I wonder how close to real NY it will be? In other words, since I know my way around the city, will that help? I know they said it wasn't a brick by brick recreation... I wish it was:)

Oh... and stupid locked areas... I hate that. Just let me drive around the whole damn city from the start pls.

Yeah, I've heard it's really, really close to the real city. It may not be brick by brick, but I expect to be able to find my way around NYC much better after playing this for a few hundred hours. (side note: a co-worker was lost in Oakland last year and navigated his way to the airport using navigational cues learned from playing San Andreas).

Cavlaw
04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure if I'm interested in this game or not. Vice City sucked me in with the 80s theme and Scarface feel. I never picked up San Andreas and I'm not sure if I'll buy GTA IV. The open navigation and mission structure was appealing, but it was the 80s theme that sold me on Vice City.

billybreen
04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure if I'm interested in this game or not. Vice City sucked me in with the 80s theme and Scarface feel. I never picked up San Andreas and I'm not sure if I'll buy GTA IV. The open navigation and mission structure was appealing, but it was the 80s theme that sold me on Vice City.

SA was my favorite of the GTA III series, but I'm a fan of 90s hip hop and rap. It was an easy fit. I'm really looking forward to returning to the present with GTA IV.

For me, the gameplay and the immersion sell it, and it doesn't matter all that much where and when they set it.

Clipsfan
04-24-2008, 06:12 PM
SA was my favorite of the GTA III series, but I'm a fan of 90s hip hop and rap. It was an easy fit. I'm really looking forward to returning to the present with GTA IV.

For me, the gameplay and the immersion sell it, and it doesn't matter all that much where and when they set it.

Have they released a song list anywhere? The music was one of the main appeals when GTA became big, and I'm curious as to what they're including now if the game world is set in the present.

RelativeWays
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Usually they post the soundtrack by now but I haven't heard anything yet. I wonder if they will have any celebrity DJ's like Axl Rose and George Clinton from the last game.

billybreen
04-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Usually they post the soundtrack by now but I haven't heard anything yet. I wonder if they will have any celebrity DJ's like Axl Rose and George Clinton from the last game.

There are going to be some celebrities in the game. I know Ricky Gervais does several minutes of stand-up in a comedy club you visit. Don't know about celebrity DJs, but Lazlow will be back (so I'm happy :)).

Cavlaw
04-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Wikipedia has a soundtrack. I have no idea if it's real - I haven't heard of anything on it.

billybreen
04-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Just a few short days, people. IGN just reviewed GTAIV and gave it a perfect 10 (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html), leading off with this:

GTA IV gives us characters and a world with a level of depth previously unseen in gaming and elevates its story from a mere shoot-em-up to an Oscar-caliber drama. Every facet of Rockstar's new masterpiece is worthy of applause. Without question, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Umm, wow. That is the highest praise.

Meanwhile, I just canceled my Amazon pre-order. Unlike Harry Potter, which they ship early to make sure it arrives on release day, I wouldn't get GTA until Thursday. I can pick up a copy from GameStop at midnight Monday, so I'm doing that. And then staying up till 5am. And then being worthless at work Tuesday.

hc5duke
04-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Umm, wow. That is the highest praise.
What if you really, really hate the whole LoZ series, like me?

Meanwhile, I just canceled my Amazon pre-order. Unlike Harry Potter, which they ship early to make sure it arrives on release day, I wouldn't get GTA until Thursday. I can pick up a copy from GameStop at midnight Monday, so I'm doing that. And then staying up till 5am. And then being worthless at work Tuesday.

Mario Galaxy came out on a Sunday, which sucked for me, because while they shipped my game on Friday, I didn't get it until Monday. Though I suppose I'm ok with getting the game 1 day late if I'm not paying 384% state tax on it (I have Amazon Prime).

billybreen
04-26-2008, 09:53 AM
What if you really, really hate the whole LoZ series, like me?

They didn't say it's the best Ocarina-like game, just the best game since Ocarina. ;) So just take from this that Ocarina is a codeword for Best.Game.Ever.

billybreen
04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Also linked from that IGN review:

A video review with lots of gameplay footage (http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/827005/grand-theft-auto-4/videos/gta4_review_042508.html).
A cute Liberty City Gun Club commercial (http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/827005/grand-theft-auto-iv/videos/lcgunclub_041108.html).

One last point on IGN's review -- the last time they gave a console game a 10 was 1999.

billybreen
04-27-2008, 11:40 PM
24 hours, people.

Review aggregator gamerankings.com is currently listing GTAIV at 99.2% through 11 reviews. It is on pace to be the highest rated game of all time.

Ignatius07
04-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Are they ever planning on releasing GTA IV for the Wii (given Nintendo's image, somehow I doubt it, unfortunately)?

billybreen
04-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Are they ever planning on releasing GTA IV for the Wii (given Nintendo's image, somehow I doubt it, unfortunately)?

No. The Wii doesn't have the hardware chops to support it. I don't think it would be possible to scale the new version down far enough without it becoming a completely different game.

billybreen
04-28-2008, 12:14 AM
One more -- an in-depth HD video review from gametrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33327.html). Their verdict: 9.8.

billybreen
04-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Positive reviews are pouring in. The Liberty City Times, I mean, New York Times raves (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/arts/28auto.html?_r=1&ex=1367035200&en=f706223e0b592c02&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin):

It all adds up to a new level of depth for an interactive entertainment experience. I’ve spent almost 60 hours practically sequestered in a (real world) Manhattan hotel room in recent weeks playing through Grand Theft Auto IV’s main story line and the game still says I have found only 64 percent of its content. I won’t ever reach 100 percent, not least because I won’t hunt down all 200 of the target pigeons (known as flying rats here) that the designers have hidden around the city.

But like millions of other players I will happily spend untold hours cruising Liberty City’s bridges and byways, hitting the clubs, grooving to the radio and running from the cops. Even when the real New York City is right outside.

alteran
04-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Though I suppose I'm ok with getting the game 1 day late if I'm not paying 384% state tax on it (I have Amazon Prime).

Holy crap! What state do YOU live in? ;)

prefan21
04-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Wow... the media is falling all over itself trying to express how great this game is.

It looks incredible. Glad I got a 360 over Christmas.

billybreen
04-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Wow... the media is falling all over itself trying to express how great this game is.

It looks incredible. Glad I got a 360 over Christmas.

Yet one more: an A+ from 1up.com (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3167589&p=4).

The reviews so far have been even better than GTA: San Andreas and GTA III. Both placed somewhere around 95% on gamerankings' aggregation, while GTA IV is now at 99.3% through 13 reviews.

BlueDevilJay
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Dangit....I'm going to have to go pick this game up based on the pure hype of it all. I did that with COD4 and I have been very pleased with it to say the least. Finally hit level 55 last night, thanks to double XP for the entire weekend. :)

Ill probably pick up GTA with funds from my "stimulus" check. Thanks Imperial Federal Government!!

Cavlaw
04-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I remain skeptical of ratings, even when apparently universally good, after the disaster that was Oblivion.

riverside6
04-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Here's what I need to figure out, how in the world can I get this game with a 9 year old and 3 year old in the house? My wife would kill me! Not to mention that I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to play if the kids are awake. That being said, there has to be a way! Anyone else in the same predicament?

It would be great if there was a way to have an option to make the game more family friendly. Certainly it would lose some of it's edge, but it would also increase the number of people that could play it.

billybreen
04-28-2008, 11:16 AM
I remain skeptical of ratings, even when apparently universally good, after the disaster that was Oblivion.

Oblivion's reviews weren't this good (but yeah, it did suck). Going through the top 10 all time on gamerankings, it's hard to see any stinkers.

billybreen
04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Here's what I need to figure out, how in the world can I get this game with a 9 year old and 3 year old in the house? My wife would kill me! Not to mention that I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to play if the kids are awake. That being said, there has to be a way! Anyone else in the same predicament?

It would be great if there was a way to have an option to make the game more family friendly. Certainly it would lose some of it's edge, but it would also increase the number of people that could play it.

Buy a second HDTV, a second 360, and hide them in an unused room of your house. Is that doable? :)

BlueDevilJay
04-28-2008, 11:33 AM

I don't have a 9 yr old in the house so its a bit easier for me to do, with just the one daughter that is going on 3 years old. She is in bed every night at 9pm, and just like I currently do with COD4, I will be doing the same with GTA, playing for several hours after she is in the bed asleep.

I wasn't intending on getting this game, but after just going over to GameStop, they have a trailer there for it as well, and I'm going to have to buy it. I love games that can keep me occupied for several months at a time playing through the single player mode, so Ill pick this one up and wait for MGS to come out.

Jmac1970
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I am getting more and more hyped about this game. My Xbox360 went down about 3 weeks ago (not the red ring of death). The video just went out so I had to send it back to be repaired at my cost. I was sure that it wouldn't be back in time for GTA IV but I just got it back so I am ready for many sleepless nights ahead.

I have a 4 and 9 year old and basically I just wait until everyone is in bed (including my wife who likes me to watch Lost and Survivor with her). That usually gives me around 2-3 hours a night depending on how late I stay up. I would not play this game around kids though. From what I have read it is not for the younger set in any way, shape, or form.

I actually loved Oblivion and I usually don't like role playing games. I logged about 200 hours playing through. I know that there was some repetitive parts but I was impressed with how varied it actually was for such a huge world. It is still the 4th highest ranked game on the 360. What did you guys not like about it?

Also, if you haven't played Crackdown and like sandbox games I would highly recommend it. It is a blast to run around and jump higher than a tall building. No real story but great action gameplay.

billybreen
04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
In 12 hours, I'll be home with the game, playing late and making myself worthless for work tomorrow. :)

riverside6
04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Ah, I'm sure my wife will buy this! Let me go try! If you don't hear from me, you'll know I've gone to get my TV and new PS3 (wishing i could get hte downloadable content).

riverside6
04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
nope, didn't work

riverside6
04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't have a 9 yr old in the house so its a bit easier for me to do, with just the one daughter that is going on 3 years old. She is in bed every night at 9pm, and just like I currently do with COD4, I will be doing the same with GTA, playing for several hours after she is in the bed asleep.

I wasn't intending on getting this game, but after just going over to GameStop, they have a trailer there for it as well, and I'm going to have to buy it. I love games that can keep me occupied for several months at a time playing through the single player mode, so Ill pick this one up and wait for MGS to come out.

Yeah, waiting till bedtime is my only real option, of course this is also when my wife and I watch most of our TV.

Of course, I'll just keep bugging my wife about the new TV also!

billybreen
04-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Standing in line with the type of deviants who buy GTA at midnight is reminding me of the "smokers suck" thread.

billybreen
04-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Got it!

DevilAlumna
04-29-2008, 12:55 AM
And now is our chance to regain some ground on BillyBreen.

Tho the nearest is Jason Evans, about 580 posts behind... that may be an insurmountable PW lead.

billybreen
04-29-2008, 12:57 AM
And now is our chance to regain some ground on BillyBreen.

Tho the nearest is Jason Evans, about 580 posts behind... that may be an insurmountable PW lead.

It's a sickness. Not sure whether my GTA time will put a dent in my PWing -- there's all those work hours still to account for.

DevilAlumna
04-29-2008, 01:03 AM
It's a sickness. Not sure whether my GTA time will put a dent in my PWing -- there's all those work hours still to account for.

Hmm, remind me not to buy stock in your co... ;)

Cavlaw
04-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Playing games, eh? I'm still at the office...

riverside6
04-29-2008, 07:12 AM
BB, step away from the game and give us your review.

BlueDevilJay
04-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah I wanna hear his review, and a review from anyone playing it on the PS3 as well. Im going to pick it up tomorrow after I get paid :)

riverside6
04-29-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm going to pick it up when my kids turn 18...I hope the PS5 plays PS3 games, cross your fingers for me.

billybreen
04-29-2008, 08:11 AM
So I was only able to play for an hour or so before I had to force myself to bed. Not really enough time to form a full opinion, but my (incredibly high) expectations were met during the little time I had. The game looks great, the first few missions are a nice warm up, and all of the little GTA details are in place (talk radio is hilarious, as are conversations between other pedestrians that you overhear).

I'm looking forward to a few hours of gameplay tonight.

BlueDevilJay
04-29-2008, 10:23 AM
So I was only able to play for an hour or so before I had to force myself to bed. Not really enough time to form a full opinion, but my (incredibly high) expectations were met during the little time I had. The game looks great, the first few missions are a nice warm up, and all of the little GTA details are in place (talk radio is hilarious, as are conversations between other pedestrians that you overhear).

I'm looking forward to a few hours of gameplay tonight.

Thanks for the update Billy. I have to wait till tomorrow to get my copy, but I plan on blocking off about the entire day Sunday to play the game. Im hyped! (and REALLY hyped about NCAA 09 after watching the trailer for it this morning. ONLINE DYNASTY!!!)

Lord Ash
04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
DBJ; sorry for the thread hijack (or maybe carjack, at least that is appropriate) but what do you mean, NCAA 2009 Online Dynasty?! Please elaborate!!

Lord "I am in the year 2016 of my NCAA 07 basketball dynasty, having played every single game of each year" Ash

hc5duke
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
DBJ; sorry for the thread hijack (or maybe carjack, at least that is appropriate) but what do you mean, NCAA 2009 Online Dynasty?! Please elaborate!!

Lord "I am in the year 2016 of my NCAA 07 basketball dynasty, having played every single game of each year" Ash

For your sanity, I hope you mean every single game for your team (presumably Duke), not every single game for every single team :)

I'm in the year 2009 of my Madden 08, playing as the Texans (1 season) and Panthers (2 seasons).

BlueDevilJay
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Go check out the new thread I just started for it, so we don't hijack this thread with NCAA games talk.

billybreen
04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
One of the much touted features of this release is the immersive nature of the world -- seemingly minor details in the game are reflected in both the game world and in all of the available media (radio, tv, and web).

Example I stumbled across last night -- later in the game, you can go to a comedy club where Ricky Gervais performs a short set. On the talk radio channel I heard an interview with him promoing his performance. He was trashing American TV (his favorite show is 'America's Next Top Hooker,' a reality tv spoof referenced many times in the game, and his second favorite is an infomercial). The interview was a minute or two long.

You will also see billboards with ads for his show as you drive through town. And that's just a couple of the hundreds of little details spread throughout the game. Those silly little touches are what make this series so much fun.

DevilAlumna
04-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Hmm, I don't actually play games (I pretty much stopped with "Pitfall" on the Atari 2600.) I may have to pick up a copy of GTAIV for Mr. DA, and make him play so I can experience the fun vicariously.

BlueDevilJay
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
One of the much touted features of this release is the immersive nature of the world -- seemingly minor details in the game are reflected in both the game world and in all of the available media (radio, tv, and web).

Example I stumbled across last night -- later in the game, you can go to a comedy club where Ricky Gervais performs a short set. On the talk radio channel I heard an interview with him promoing his performance. He was trashing American TV (his favorite show is 'America's Next Top Hooker,' a reality tv spoof referenced many times in the game, and his second favorite is an infomercial). The interview was a minute or two long.

You will also see billboards with ads for his show as you drive through town. And that's just a couple of the hundreds of little details spread throughout the game. Those silly little touches are what make this series so much fun.

I listened to the Level Up game show on Maxim Radio yesterday (SEE, they are more than just nekkid women!) and the entire hour was devoted to GTA. They interviewed Laslow from Rockstar (and the voice of Laslow on the game) and he mentioned while playing the game, you hear (radio) and see (tv news) news updates in the game, where the reporters would be reporting on a crime you had just committed a few minutes prior....Now that is freakin realism to me.

BlueDevilJay
04-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Also, am I crazy to think I could go out and buy a copy of GTA4 today? I finally have the money to pick it up and want to get started on it, but I really don't know where to begin to look for a copy. I doubt the local GameStops have any copies left, and I didn't know if WalMart would be carrying the game, given its Mature rating and all.

billybreen
04-30-2008, 10:25 AM
I listened to the Level Up game show on Maxim Radio yesterday (SEE, they are more than just nekkid women!) and the entire hour was devoted to GTA. They interviewed Laslow from Rockstar (and the voice of Laslow on the game) and he mentioned while playing the game, you hear (radio) and see (tv news) news updates in the game, where the reporters would be reporting on a crime you had just committed a few minutes prior....Now that is freakin realism to me.

Lazlow is one of my favorite parts of GTA -- he's been hosting talk radio shows in the series since the original GTAIII on the PS2. It's beautifully subversive stuff.

billybreen
04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Also, am I crazy to think I could go out and buy a copy of GTA4 today? I finally have the money to pick it up and want to get started on it, but I really don't know where to begin to look for a copy. I doubt the local GameStops have any copies left, and I didn't know if WalMart would be carrying the game, given its Mature rating and all.

I think you'll be fine at GameStop -- the store where I picked up my copy clearly pre-ordered hundreds. I didn't put in my pre-order until last Friday, and it sounded like they had plenty of units. These are just discs, after all, and I'm pretty sure Rockstar had a good sense for how many they would need to ship.

Also, WalMart should be carrying it, even though they are old and boring. They don't carry AO games, but Mature should be fine.

billybreen
04-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Hmm, I don't actually play games (I pretty much stopped with "Pitfall" on the Atari 2600.) I may have to pick up a copy of GTAIV for Mr. DA, and make him play so I can experience the fun vicariously.

Go for it! Microsoft chipped these people $50 mil for exclusive DLC, so picking up a copy is a moral imperative for a conscientious employee.

BlueDevilJay
04-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Go for it! Microsoft chipped these people $50 mil for exclusive DLC, so picking up a copy is a moral imperative for a conscientious employee.

I just went out and picked up my copy on lunch, from of all places, Walmart :) Called all the local GameStops and they were all sold out, but my local Walmart here at work, had about 20 copies in surprisingly. I'll probably be up late tonight playing it as I can't play till after 9pm anyways, with the 3 year old still up until then. Going to go ahead and turn it on when I get home though as I've heard there is quite a bit of stuff that the PS Network has to download when you first start the game anyways. This game is just sitting here on my desk staring at me! Im about to take the "instruction manual" to the library for a good read through though :)

billybreen
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I just went out and picked up my copy on lunch, from of all places, Walmart :) Called all the local GameStops and they were all sold out, but my local Walmart here at work, had about 20 copies in surprisingly. I'll probably be up late tonight playing it as I can't play till after 9pm anyways, with the 3 year old still up until then. Going to go ahead and turn it on when I get home though as I've heard there is quite a bit of stuff that the PS Network has to download when you first start the game anyways. This game is just sitting here on my desk staring at me! Im about to take the "instruction manual" to the library for a good read through though :)

It's called a half day. Use it. ;)

hc5duke
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Standing in line with the type of deviants who buy GTA at midnight is reminding me of the "smokers suck" thread.

Speaking of deviants who buy GTA...

Man Stabbed Waiting on 'Grand Theft Auto' Line (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353157,00.html) [insert Jack Thompson joke here]

Clipsfan
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Picked mine up last night and played it for a few hours. I enjoyed the game although I haven't gotten very far yet and haven't started really exploring. For some reason I thought that the graphics would be slightly better (still fairly blocky), but the gameplay was a lot of fun. I like that there are even mini-games within the game (darts is too easy but I thought that pool was too hard if you tried to aim yourself).

billybreen
04-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Picked mine up last night and played it for a few hours. I enjoyed the game although I haven't gotten very far yet and haven't started really exploring. For some reason I thought that the graphics would be slightly better (still fairly blocky), but the gameplay was a lot of fun. I like that there are even mini-games within the game (darts is too easy but I thought that pool was too hard if you tried to aim yourself).

The GTA series has always shined with its mini-games. I've never come close to 100% completion because there are just too many games within the game.

The graphics are good but probably not equal to the shiniest games on the platform. Are you playing on the 360 or the PS3? Sadly for me, head to head comparison reviews indicate that the PS3 version is visually superior.

DukeDude
04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Sadly for me, head to head comparison reviews indicate that the PS3 version is visually superior.

From what I have read, the difference in visuals is small between the 360 and Ps3, but the Ps3 also has an edge in load times. I have both consoles, but I bought the 360 version. My only graphical complaint is that i can't read the cell phone display from my normal gaming distance. Maybe I should buy Niko some glasses.

billybreen
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
From what I have read, the difference in visuals is small between the 360 and Ps3, but the Ps3 also has an edge in load times. I have both consoles, but I bought the 360 version. My only graphical complaint is that i can't read the cell phone display from my normal gaming distance. Maybe I should buy Niko some glasses.

Heh. Haven't had that problem, but I like me some small font sizes.

DukeDude
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Heh. Haven't had that problem, but I like me some small font sizes.

It is more the contrast than the font size. The black text on dark gray background is far from ideal. Turn on the backlight, Niko! I am not worried about battery life!

billybreen
04-30-2008, 04:50 PM
It is more the contrast than the font size. The black text on dark gray background is far from ideal. Turn on the backlight, Niko! I am not worried about battery life!

Lolz. "Thees country iz strange," says Niko.

DevilAlumna
04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I've never come close to 100% completion because there are just too many games within the game.

<sigh>

I'm so disappointed to hear this; your gaming-geek points have plunged.

billybreen
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
<sigh>

I'm so disappointed to hear this; your gaming-geek points have plunged.

If I spent the 500 hours necessary for completion, there would be no time for PWing. :)

hc5duke
04-30-2008, 08:12 PM
If I spent the 500 hours necessary for completion, there would be no time for PWing. :)

I could never take over that one Vagos hood that's like a tiny little corner (in an uphill region I think). Frustrating as hell since none of the gang members would show up, and some other area would come under attack. That pretty much got me to quit.

Lord Ash
04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Ohhh I know EXACTLY which one you mean. That sucked.

I loved the "gang" aspect of it; I wish that had been a little more fleshed out and a little more... consistent. It seemed a little random. I would have loved to really been able to build an area and a gang that could care for itself.

billybreen
04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I could never take over that one Vagos hood that's like a tiny little corner (in an uphill region I think). Frustrating as hell since none of the gang members would show up, and some other area would come under attack. That pretty much got me to quit.

Exactly my situation.

At least with the new console generation, they can patch stuff like that with software updates.

pigs2k1
04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Exactly my situation.

At least with the new console generation, they can patch stuff like that with software updates.

Hmm, it was definitely not at all rewarding trying to get all the gang turf, and I think I also eventually gave up, but I don't think it prevented me from getting 100%. I thought I remember a mission later in the game that would eventually give you all the gang turf, or maybe you just had to hold a majority of it to count towards 100%. All in all, I didn't think it was that tedious to get 100% on GTA SA, although I did break down and use the guide for all the hidden stuff. That's just too much work.
Now, getting 100% on Gran Turismo 4 using the DualShock controller borders on masochistic. I must have spent close to 50-100 hours alone on the Nurburgring mission while developing an acute case of carpal tunnel. Then I tried to go back and get Golds on all the License tests before I finally just smashed the controller to bits and gave up for good.

hc5duke
04-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Now, getting 100% on Gran Turismo 4 using the DualShock controller borders on masochistic.

.... Why would you EVER play GT4 with a joystick? :confused: :confused: :confused:

For me, the wheel is a necessity. I don't think it makes the game easier/harder, it's like trying to play Guitar Hero without a guitar.

bdh21
05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
.... Why would you EVER play GT4 with a joystick? :confused: :confused: :confused:

For me, the wheel is a necessity. I don't think it makes the game easier/harder, it's like trying to play Guitar Hero without a guitar.

You want masochistic... Ever try playing Halo with a guitar!?

alteran
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM

That's brilliant. I'm trying that the next time I'm somewhere with Halo and GH.

DevilAlumna
05-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Would the drumset be any easier? :D

prefan21
05-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Aughhh... I got Microsoft's patented Red Ring of Death™ about an hour into the game. I think the 360 is out of warranty, so I bought a new one.

The game starts out a little boring, but once you finally get to cross into Manhattan ("Algonquin") it gets 32 flavors of awesome.

I can see why it's gotten 10/10 just about everywhere. Immense amounts of detail and everything is interactive. :cool:

DukeDude
05-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Aughhh... I got Microsoft's patented Red Ring of Death™ about an hour into the game. I think the 360 is out of warranty, so I bought a new one.

The game starts out a little boring, but once you finally get to cross into Manhattan ("Algonquin") it gets 32 flavors of awesome.

I can see why it's gotten 10/10 just about everywhere. Immense amounts of detail and everything is interactive. :cool:

Good news! Your 360 is not out of warranty for the dreaded RROD. The 360 launched in the fall of 2005, and Microsoft eventually extended the warranty for the RROD on all 360s to 3 years, so everyone's 360 is still under warranty. I haven't had to replace mine, but I heard it is relatively painless.

Cavlaw
05-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I broke down and picked it up last night. I got to play for about half an hour and it enjoyed it fairly well. The controls are a little loose for my taste, and the environments are a little too dark, but I'll pick it up again tonight and see a little more of it.

billybreen
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I broke down and picked it up last night. I got to play for about half an hour and it enjoyed it fairly well. The controls are a little loose for my taste, and the environments are a little too dark, but I'll pick it up again tonight and see a little more of it.

Yeah, I adjusted brightness and contrast in the game and I'm happy now. IIRC, this has always been an issue with the series.

riverside6
05-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I also picked it up and still getting going. The kids were at their grandparents last night so I really got to play quite a bit. Should have more time over the weekend as well!

BlueDevilJay
05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
So report in everyone: How far along are you, what choices have you made, etc?

So far I have taken Michelle out on about 6 dates, each ending with her calling out Oh Niko!!!, except for one, when I picked her up on a bike, and the proceeded to throw us both over the handlebars when an SUV pulled out in front of me at an intersection. She decided to walk home from there....

I also let the guy live that Vlad sent me to kill, when he was hanging on the ledge, I pulled him up, and then proceeded to kill off Vlad for porking Roman's favorite girl. I ended up running a few 'missions' for Dmitri and his boss last night, the last one going to the "sex shop" and demanding some payments, along with kneecapping one of the 'actors' before taking Dmitri back to the compound. Thats where I left off when I had to quit due to my daughter coming in the room asking me what I was playing :)

Where is everyone else in the game so far? Any secrets I should be going to look for yet? My favorite contact so far has to be Little Jacob though. I really like working with him and running missions for him, even though I have to have subtitles on to understand the guy :D

billybreen
05-05-2008, 02:31 PM

So far I have taken Michelle out on about 6 dates, each ending with her calling out Oh Niko!!!, except for one, when I picked her up on a bike, and the proceeded to throw us both over the handlebars when an SUV pulled out in front of me at an intersection. She decided to walk home from there....

I also let the guy live that Vlad sent me to kill, when he was hanging on the ledge, I pulled him up, and then proceeded to kill off Vlad for porking Roman's favorite girl. I ended up running a few 'missions' for Dmitri and his boss last night, the last one going to the "sex shop" and demanding some payments, along with kneecapping one of the 'actors' before taking Dmitri back to the compound. Thats where I left off when I had to quit due to my daughter coming in the room asking me what I was playing :)

Where is everyone else in the game so far? Any secrets I should be going to look for yet? My favorite contact so far has to be Little Jacob though. I really like working with him and running missions for him, even though I have to have subtitles on to understand the guy :D

I just opened up the entire map having finished the final Packie mission (Four Leaf Clover). I was happy to make it through that one on the first try. It was tough.

I don't want to say much more about decisions or we'll get into serious spoiler territory, but I've been really pleased with all the twists and turns. It's a lot of fun.

riverside6
05-05-2008, 02:44 PM

We are virtually in the same place, although I did not pull the guy up from the ledge. :)

BlueDevilJay
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Dang, thanks for pointing that out Billy. I tried to edit my post to put it in all white so those who didn't want to read didn't have to, but I can no longer edit it. Good thing is I'm not that far along in the game yet so everyone should be pretty close to where I'm at I'm hoping. I really only get maybe 1 to 2 hours to play a day, and I typically split the time between GTA4 and COD4 online, I just haven't been able to abandon my buddies online there yet and I still have too much fun sniping and watching people run around under my location looking everywhere for me :) BUT, the story line in GTA4 is starting to hook me, which is where the previous versions lost my interest. I'm going to have to play tonight when I get home since the wife and daughter will be out.

Sounds like you've almost completed the game already!

BlueDevilJay
05-05-2008, 02:48 PM
We are virtually in the same place, although I did not pull the guy up from the ledge. :)

You heartless bastahd!!! :) So does the storyline stay the same then? Do you still start going after Vlad to take him down?

riverside6
05-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Yep it sounds like, I've done the exact same thing as you described...

proceeded to kill off Vlad for porking Roman's favorite girl. I ended up running a few 'missions' for Dmitri and his boss last night, the last one going to the "sex shop" and demanding some payments, along with kneecapping one of the 'actors' before taking Dmitri back to the compound.

Clipsfan
05-05-2008, 03:19 PM
It sounds like I'm somewhere in between BB and the rest of the board, as I've headed on to doing missions for a couple people not mentioned above. I really should take Michelle out more, as I've only taken her out 4 times (thrice lucky). I'm trying to figure out how to have luck with the other women in the game.

DukeDude
05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
I am about 25% done. I have the second safehouse and access to the liberty city version of Manhattan. I am strugglng with the last Manny mission where I have to chase an elevated train around the city. Maybe I should go steal Playboy's hummer for this mission?

Cavlaw
05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I finished the Russian Revolution mission and am working on Escuela of the Streets. I seem to be rushing from mission to mission and don't feel like I'm experiencing the immersion.

I've heard you don't get to acquire businesses and become a true crime kingpin ala' vice city, which is kinda disappointing. Aside from pursuing the missions, I'm not sure what the sandbox goals should be for this one (in the manner that acquiring businesses and running their side missions was in Vice City).

bdh21
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I am about 25% done. I have the second safehouse and access to the liberty city version of Manhattan. I am strugglng with the last Manny mission where I have to chase an elevated train around the city. Maybe I should go steal Playboy's hummer for this mission?

Me too. I've been yelling a lot of unrepeatables at that train. Seriously though, who trails a train in a car??

billybreen
05-05-2008, 05:14 PM
I finished the Russian Revolution mission and am working on Escuela of the Streets. I seem to be rushing from mission to mission and don't feel like I'm experiencing the immersion.

I've heard you don't get to acquire businesses and become a true crime kingpin ala' vice city, which is kinda disappointing. Aside from pursuing the missions, I'm not sure what the sandbox goals should be for this one (in the manner that acquiring businesses and running their side missions was in Vice City).

The story has pulled me in, and I've made a lot of progress, but I don't quite feel like I'm rushing. I tend to do things in a very breadth-first way (i.e. I need to finish all missions in an area, even side missions, before moving on), so that may help me feel more immersed.

prefan21
05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
It sounds like I'm somewhere in between BB and the rest of the board, as I've headed on to doing missions for a couple people not mentioned above. I really should take Michelle out more, as I've only taken her out 4 times (thrice lucky). I'm trying to figure out how to have luck with the other women in the game.

Don't waste your time on Michelle. There are girls you can date on "Love Match" that can refill your health and lower your wanted level.

Also, near the end of the Algonquin missions, you have to make a moral choice that has (semi) lasting consequences.

Jmac1970
05-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I am also in about the same spot as riverside and BDJ. I pulled the guy up from the ledge. I just couldn't bring myself to knock him off. Perhaps that's because I really have come to like Nico and believe that he wouldn't kill someone without some reason. He is a great protagonist.

I also crack up every time Brucie comes on the screen. I mean bull shark testosterone? Seriously?

I do like to complete every mission in an area as well. I like the feeling of being done with something before moving on and with 2 youngsters around the house, I only get about 1-2 hours a night to immerse myself.

billybreen
05-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I also crack up every time Brucie comes on the screen. I mean bull shark testosterone? Seriously?

You're genetically different!

BlueDevilJay
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
I have found myself totally immersed in this game now when playing....Last night I was going after the dealer for Little Jacob. During the mission, Roman called and wanted to play darts, had to tell him no, and I actually FELT BAD about it! WTH!! So I finish the mission, go play darts with him, feel better about myself, but LJ called me during that time, so I felt bad again, went and took LJ to the strip club and here is where it fell apart. My wife was in the room and she dared me to jump on the stage with the dancers to see what they would do. I did, the bouncers chased me out and as I was trying to get in my car (with LJ) One of them opens my door as I am backing up, and the door hits LJ and knocks him out. I was kinda upset about this as I really like the LJ character so I get out, shoot the jackI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. twice with the shotgun for causing me to hurt LJ, and then proceed to mow down the parking lot with the sub. LJ calls me about 5 min later asking me to pick him up from the hospital so I do and his respect goes up, even though I put him there :) Michelle finally didn't put out either after I took her to the Perostroika for a weird show, so me thinks I might put a bullet in her tonight. I have too many friends to keep up with already on there :)

Now after all that last night....I totally think I've been immersed in this game world. (but I love it)

Also JMac, thats the reason I didn't kill the dude on the ledge. I had an odd feeling about Vlad just from the way it makes you view him, that I would eventually kill him or break ties with him and maybe be a rival, so I didn't see the need to kill a guy I didn't know just because I was ordered to by Vlad, a guy that the game makes sure you don't respect. I couldn't see Niko just killing some dude without reason, although Jay has been known to do that. Jay is Niko's alter ego who goes to a crowded Hove Beach and starts mowing down locals with whatever gun he can find. Luckily for that guy, Niko showed up on the roof :D

Lord Ash
05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Hey guys, how long into the game do you unlock Manhattan? I am waiting for that... currently in Brooklyn, finishing the LJ and the crazy guy missions.

DukeDude
05-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, how long into the game do you unlock Manhattan? I am waiting for that... currently in Brooklyn, finishing the LJ and the crazy guy missions.

I was at roughly 24.x% completed. It depends on how many side missions you do though.

bdh21
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM

I don't know if it's the only way, but I unlocked "Algonquin" on an Elizabeta mission.

billybreen
05-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't know if it's the only way, but I unlocked "Algonquin" on an Elizabeta mission.

For future reference, I unlocked Newark after the last Packie mission. I'm guessing there are multiple ways to do that -- I'm pretty sure Packie is a side-quest, but the game makes it fairly difficult to tell.

Clipsfan
05-06-2008, 02:55 PM

I think that I unlocked it on a mission for Playboy X (which I interspersed with missions for Elizabeta, so I may be confused).

I have a quick question on cars: I haven't used any cheats and don't really want to, but I'm having trouble finding fast cars. Are there any good places to find them and does calling for a fast car affect achievements/missions?

bdh21
05-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I think that I unlocked it on a mission for Playboy X (which I interspersed with missions for Elizabeta, so I may be confused).

The mission where you meet Playboy X through Elizabeta.

billybreen
05-06-2008, 03:53 PM

I have a quick question on cars: I haven't used any cheats and don't really want to, but I'm having trouble finding fast cars. Are there any good places to find them and does calling for a fast car affect achievements/missions?

I got one from a Brucie mission and have been keeping it parked outside the second safehouse. That thing rocks.

There are some fast cars on the street in Manhattan. From previous versions of the series, I've always been a fan of Banshees, and the only place I've found them on the street is in mid-town (IIRC).

Cavlaw
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
You could always check the ign interactive map (http://grandtheftauto.ign.com/maps/1/Liberty-City-Map).

bdh21
05-07-2008, 08:54 AM
With how great a game this is, there is no way this thread should be stuck on the 2nd page!

prefan21
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM

There's a showroom with 8 Turismos (great sports cars, like the Infernus) just east of Middle Park in Algonquin. Smash the glass and steal one -- it's easy to lose your wanted level with how fast these suckers are.

It's off of Pyrite Street, I believe. Between Pyrite and Obsidian.

Also, spawning cars (except the annihilator) with cheats does not affect your in-game achievements.

BlueDevilJay
05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
There's a showroom with 8 Turismos (great sports cars, like the Infernus) just east of Middle Park in Algonquin. Smash the glass and steal one -- it's easy to lose your wanted level with how fast these suckers are.

Also, spawning cars (except the annihilator) with cheats does not affect your in-game achievements.

Just shows how clueless I am regarding the game, I don't know any of the cheat codes anyways or even how I would enter them! Do you put them in on the cell phone in free dial mode? I may have to investigate that, but I'd like to try to complete it without using cheats as well.

prefan21
05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Just shows how clueless I am regarding the game, I don't know any of the cheat codes anyways or even how I would enter them! Do you put them in on the cell phone in free dial mode? I may have to investigate that, but I'd like to try to complete it without using cheats as well.

Here are the cheats that don't affect your "achievements" --

Cognoscenti (Car) - (227)-555-0142
Comet (Car) - (227)-555-0175
FIB Buffalo (Car) - (227)-555-0100
Jetmax (Boat) - (938)-555-0100
NRG-900 (Motorcycle) - (625)-555-0100
Sanchez (Motorcycle) - (625)-555-0150
Super GT (Car) - (227)-555-0168
Turismo (Car) - (227)-555-0147

Adjust weather - (468)-555-0100

Dial them into your phone. There are other cheats (http://cheats.ign.com/ob2/068/827/827005.html), but they preclude you from getting certain "achievements." Once you use a cheat, it is stored in your phone under 'cheats' so you can use it again easily.

BlueDevilJay
05-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Here are the cheats that don't affect your "achievements" --

Cognoscenti (Car) - (227)-555-0142
Comet (Car) - (227)-555-0175
FIB Buffalo (Car) - (227)-555-0100
Jetmax (Boat) - (938)-555-0100
NRG-900 (Motorcycle) - (625)-555-0100
Sanchez (Motorcycle) - (625)-555-0150
Super GT (Car) - (227)-555-0168
Turismo (Car) - (227)-555-0147

Adjust weather - (468)-555-0100

Dial them into your phone. There are other cheats (http://cheats.ign.com/ob2/068/827/827005.html), but they preclude you from getting certain "achievements." Once you use a cheat, it is stored in your phone under 'cheats' so you can use it again easily.

Sweet, I suppose those are for both PS3 and XBox? I play on the PS3 so I'm not worried about the achievements part of it as we don't have those on the PS Network yet. But thanks for the codes again.

BlueDevilJay
05-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Is there a number for the Helicopter? I can't view that site from here at work so I have no way of checking until later tonight.

Clipsfan
05-07-2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the info. I'd heard that there was a showroom in Algonquin, I just haven't found it yet. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that the nice car I stuck outside one of my safehouses is actually a Banshee, so I've got at least one nice car. That thing is pretty fast.

prefan21
05-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Is there a number for the Helicopter? I can't view that site from here at work so I have no way of checking until later tonight.

Absolutely. Here are the other cheats (identical for 360 and PS3):

Lose wanted level - (267)-555-0100
Add 1 star to wanted level - (267)-555-0150
Refill health/armor - (362)-555-0100
Refill health/armor/all weapons - (482)-555-0100
Annihilator (attack helicopter) - (359)-555-0100
Weapon set 1 - (486)-555-0100
Weapon set 2 - (486)-555-0150

YmoBeThere
05-07-2008, 09:26 PM
A half a billion dollars in sales in its first full week...amazing!

Clipsfan
05-07-2008, 09:34 PM
A half a billion dollars in sales in its first full week...amazing!

One source which quoted the $500MM in sales stated that the number of units sold was only 6MM, which means the average sales price was over $80. Obviously, with the weaker $, the game is selling for a lot more in the UK and Europe. I just found that interesting. There's also a more expensive edition, but I think that the vast majority of sales were the standard.

prefan21
05-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I should mention... a lot of people complain the game is too "dark."

If you feel this way, hit start, go to display, and turn up the brightness and contrast. It makes a big difference.

YmoBeThere
05-07-2008, 09:56 PM
haha, that's a good one!

prefan21
05-07-2008, 10:27 PM
haha, that's a good one!

haha... I was being literal! There are times it's damn near impossible to find the door you're looking for because of the shadows of overpasses and skyscrapers.

Cavlaw
05-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I just finished snowstorm. Did it in one try, which surprised me, given that I've read a lot of opinions about how hard that one is. Chasing the el train in the earlier mission, on the other hand, was a bit difficult.

billybreen
05-08-2008, 08:43 AM
I just finished snowstorm. Did it in one try, which surprised me, given that I've read a lot of opinions about how hard that one is. Chasing the el train in the earlier mission, on the other hand, was a bit difficult.

I think Snowstorm took me 3 tries. I finished Four Leaf Clover in 1, but I think it was harder than Snowstorm.

BlueDevilJay
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Actually used the car cheats last night, pretty cool to have a super fast ride just spawn in front of you when you need a quick getaway. I got to the point where it was 'decision time' for Faustin, and allowed him to escape on my first try, then went and took on the Brucie 'witness' mission, chased that punk around the entire city before finally losing him after a cab pulled in front of me at an intersection. At this point I was close to shouting a few explatives at the TV and decided to call it a night. Trying again on those tonight probably.

billybreen
05-08-2008, 11:32 AM
"I need your clothes, boots and motorcycle" destroyed me last night. Probably played it 10 times without coming close to completion.

Great mission name, though.

BlueDevilJay
05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
You guys tried out the 'online dating' service at all, and had any luck whatsoever? I clicked on Date for like 5 or 6 of the women on it, and each one of them rejected me, even the stripper/adult film star, saying she did have standards :) I took Michelle out for the 8th time last night, and for the second straight time, she wouldn't put out. Its time to kick her to the curb me thinks, and I even took her to Burger Shot!!! Her favorite restaurant!

Clipsfan
05-08-2008, 12:51 PM
You guys tried out the 'online dating' service at all, and had any luck whatsoever? I clicked on Date for like 5 or 6 of the women on it, and each one of them rejected me, even the stripper/adult film star, saying she did have standards :) I took Michelle out for the 8th time last night, and for the second straight time, she wouldn't put out. Its time to kick her to the curb me thinks, and I even took her to Burger Shot!!! Her favorite restaurant!

I think that only two of the online girls will go out with you: LawChick and SoHoBoe (I think those are the names).

Clipsfan
05-08-2008, 12:52 PM

What's the trick to escaping after you kill everyone inside the old hospital? I've tried it twice, and both times I have had trouble escaping with 3 stars. It doesn't help that the truck outside the building is slow and hard to drive.

bdh21
05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
What's the trick to escaping after you kill everyone inside the old hospital? I've tried it twice, and both times I have had trouble escaping with 3 stars. It doesn't help that the truck outside the building is slow and hard to drive.

I hauled azz to a pay 'n spray, only for the cops to see my enter. Somehow though, they didn't see me haul azz right back out, and I managed to put enough distance between me and them.

Cavlaw
05-08-2008, 01:31 PM
I used the truck as little more than temporary body armor to get off the island, then upgraded ASAP. I swapped cars again for one of the feraris at the dealership by central park and then found a long straightaway to blow away the patrol cars.

DukeDude
05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I used the truck as little more than temporary body armor to get off the island, then upgraded ASAP. I swapped cars again for one of the feraris at the dealership by central park and then found a long straightaway to blow away the patrol cars.

Same here. It took me at least 3 vehicles to escape. I can't remember exactly. Also it started raining just as I hopped in the truck and had stopped by the time I was clear. It was a long and epic chase.

As far as dating goes, I have wooed SoBoHoe enough so that I can call her and get health over the phone. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Cavlaw
05-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Just tried multiplayer for the first time. Incredibly amusing. Also did multiplayer Mario Kart, that was awesome.

RelativeWays
05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Last mission I remember completing was

POSSIBLE SPOILERS (but I'll try to be vague)

rescuing Roman in Algonquin.

I have both Dwayne and PBX asking me to make a hard choice, and I've taken Kate out a couple of times. I hate Pool.

alteran
05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Just tried multiplayer for the first time. Incredibly amusing. Also did multiplayer Mario Kart, that was awesome.

All right, I guess I'm going to have to get that one.

BlueDevilJay
05-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I finally ended up last night finishing the job for Dmitri (Which I KNEW was going to be a mistake) and then took care of the witness for Brucie. Thats where I had to leave it due to the storms coming through my area, but Roman had just called me whispering to come to a certain place and to hurry, but I had to turn it off before I could go get him.

As for Multiplayer, I've tried it a couple of times and it was alright. I enjoy getting the chopper and going for a tour of the entire game board.

Clipsfan
05-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions for Snow Storm. I finished it this morning and it turned out to be ridiculously easy this time. I tried to go all out and grab a helicopter in the middle of the mission to make my escape easy, but I had no luck as all the tour helis were gone. Are they always gone during missions? Anyway, I jumped in the Bobcat that is waiting for the escape and shook the cops with just a few turns as I tried to make my way to the Pay n Spray. Third time was the charm!

billybreen
05-09-2008, 06:35 PM
I just crossed the 50% threshold. No clue where I am on the storyline, but this game is a blast.

Cavlaw
05-09-2008, 06:42 PM
With 16 slots on multiplayer, we xbox users should host a huge sandbox game sometime to run around the city and whatnot.

billybreen
05-09-2008, 06:57 PM
With 16 slots on multiplayer, we xbox users should host a huge sandbox game sometime to run around the city and whatnot.

I was thinking the same. Do I need a Live subscription for that? I never play multiplayer.

Clipsfan
05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I was thinking the same. Do I need a Live subscription for that? I never play multiplayer.

Unfortunately we do need a Live subscription, which is why I haven't played multiplayer yet. There was a one-month free offer in the GTA box, though.

billybreen
05-14-2008, 12:36 AM
WARNING! Very cryptic spoilers below

Tonight I finished the Funeral and Helicopter chase missions. Wow! There are some stunning cinematic moments in this game. Not sure how close I am to finishing (or bagging Kate), but I'm having a blast with this game.

Lord Ash
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Just a thought, folks who don't have Live might want to save their one month free card until they release new content on XBOX live, the first of which is coming this fall.

DukeDude
05-14-2008, 11:46 AM
WARNING! Very cryptic spoilers below

What % are you at? I am at 45% completed. My main storyline pace has slowed as I am spending more time doing other stuff, like vigilante missions or unlocking all of the friends abilities. I love driving the cop car around with the sirens on so everyone gets out of my way, and then running over a group of gang members with it.

BlueDevilJay
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
What % are you at? I am at 45% completed. My main storyline pace has slowed as I am spending more time doing other stuff, like vigilante missions or unlocking all of the friends abilities. I love driving the cop car around with the sirens on so everyone gets out of my way, and then running over a group of gang members with it.

Pretty funny stuff. Im at 30% right now and have been doing the same thing with the cop cars. I started working on the "Flying Rats" and will typically try to take all of them out in whatever area I end up in upon completing a mission. So far I've taken out 24 of them I think. That and I finished up all the drug dealing missions for LJ, all the car stealing missions for Brucie. Im kinda at a slow point too after I just worked Manny's first mission taking out the gang members in the warehouse (which coming in through the skylight really works alot better than going through the front door) and I'm trying to do everything I can right now to get my LJ 'like' back up to 75%. Right now its at 52%. I took him to a strip club one night and it all ended up with LJ in the hospital and I had to pick him up. I think his 'like' dropped drastically from that. Apparently he can provide you with a huge cache of weapons upon demand if you keep him above 75%.

DukeDude
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I took him to a strip club one night and it all ended up with LJ in the hospital and I had to pick him up. I think his 'like' dropped drastically from that. Apparently he can provide you with a huge cache of weapons upon demand if you keep him above 75%.

I guess hanging out with you is like hanging out with Pacman Jones. ;)

LJ is a very useful friend to have. You can call him up and he will appear 3-4 blocks away with a trunkful of weapons and more importantly body armor that you can buy at roughly a 40% discount from the normal weapon stores. I also like him because he seems to stay at 75% like without requiring any maintenance trips to the strip club.

billybreen
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM

LJ is a very useful friend to have. You can call him up and he will appear 3-4 blocks away with a trunkful of weapons and more importantly body armor that you can buy at roughly a 40% discount from the normal weapon stores. I also like him because he seems to stay at 75% like without requiring any maintenance trips to the strip club.

I'm at 57.89%. I've also slowed down on the main storyline because the side missions are so much fun, but I finally beat 'I need your clothes...' yesterday night. Now I'm moving the plot along and really enjoying it.

Agree on LJ. I call him all the time to tank up on body armor and max out ammo. Haven't called Dwayne or Packie for their specialties yet, and I really wish LJ would sell RPG ammo.

As for the side missions, I've really been enjoying Brucie's races. Since getting the Infernus as a gift, I've been racing exclusively with that. It actually makes the race sequences a bit boring -- usually I am in 1st by the time I cross the starting line.

BlueDevilJay
05-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I blame it all on my wife. She was sitting nearby watching me play a little bit, and LJ and myself went to the strip club. She says "Jump up on the stage and see what happens" so I thought, sure, see if the bouncers will actually react to me. Well, they do, and in force. No sooner than I jumped on the stage a la "Billy Bob" in Varsity Blues, 3 of them rushed me and chased me out the door. I race to the car outside with LJ just behind me and I get in the car. The bouncer opens my door to drag me out just as I am trying to back away, and LJ was standing there and got hit with the door, falls to the ground and doesn't move. I was thinking "Holy hell, I've killed a main character/friend this early in the game!!!" So I decide (carrying on the PacMan Jones theme) to exact my revenge by pulling out the mini uzi and mowing down all the bouncers and any patrons running like sissy's from the club. I look back over to the car and LJ is gone, I think the ambulance may have actually came and picked him up while I was going all "Big Bad Momma 2" on the parking lot. I get in the car and my cell rings, its LJ asking if I can pick him up from the hospital, which I go and do, and I get a "thumbs-up" from him, but still I think the whole incident dropped his "Like" % on me almost 30 to 40 points as I've had to start building him back up from about 30%.

On a weapons note, does anyone already have a sniper rifle? I can't find one to save my life, and I have the game guide as well but they aren't in the locations the book says, although it does mention they are mission specific. There are a couple of the "flying rats" that I can't get to and need the rifle just to pick them off.

bdh21
05-14-2008, 01:24 PM
On a weapons note, does anyone already have a sniper rifle? I can't find one to save my life, and I have the game guide as well but they aren't in the locations the book says, although it does mention they are mission specific. There are a couple of the "flying rats" that I can't get to and need the rifle just to pick them off.

Elizabeta will give you a sniper rifle on one of her missions. Try another mission from Manny and you may hear from her.

BlueDevilJay
05-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Elizabeta will give you a sniper rifle on one of her missions. Try another mission from Manny and you may hear from her.

Sweet, thanks for the tip. Ill do another few Manny missions tonight then.

DukeDude
05-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm at 57.89%. I've also slowed down on the main storyline because the side missions are so much fun, but I finally beat 'I need your clothes...' yesterday night. Now I'm moving the plot along and really enjoying it.

I think that was the same mission I did last night (along with a 500ft wheelie). I guess I need to do a lot more side missions. I have still never even seen a sky rat yet. The only friend I have yet to get to 75% is Packie, but I don't think I am far enough along in the story to go bowling with him yet.

I can't seem to keep a fast car around for racing. I always wind up taking it to a mission where I have to leave my car behind, or just getting it blown up. Then when I do get a fast car and decide to do some racing, I call Brucie and there are no races going on.

BlueDevilJay
05-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Interesting about the cars. I always park my nicer rides in the (yellow) space outside the safehouse, yet they are never there when I start the game again, which I thought it said they would.

And the flying rats, I found one by accident, then I had to pick up the guide so I could find the rest of them. Thing is, I shot him for the fun of it. Didn't realize it was a side mission till then.

DukeDude
05-14-2008, 02:42 PM
I've had my cars disappear, and I have also have them saved. Maybe it has to do with how much damage they have? Supposedly there is a sports car dealership somewhere that I can go and consistenly steal a fast car, but I haven't found it yet.

BlueDevilJay
05-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I've had my cars disappear, and I have also have them saved. Maybe it has to do with how much damage they have? Supposedly there is a sports car dealership somewhere that I can go and consistenly steal a fast car, but I haven't found it yet.

I was positive I remember reading when I was first starting the game, it said if you park a car in the yellow zone outside each safehouse, the car would be there when you restarted your game. I have not had a single car stay there yet for some reason. And I don't think it matters about the damage because I've had cars in immaculate condition, no damage whatsoever, and they are never there either. Weird!

Jmac1970
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
This is a great game and I too am getting sidetracked with side missions. I need to get my like % up on most of my friends. I'd love to be able to get weapons and ammo from LJ.

The Turismo is my current car of choice. It is modeled on the Ferrari 360 Modena and is cat quick and handles like it is on rails. If you go to the Perseus clothing store in Algonquin in the NE part of the map you will see a car dealership called Gotti. It is also right around the corner from the safehouse here. It is full of Turismos so you need only pick your color and drive it through a window. Then just outrun the cops (not too hard in that ride) and it is yours.

billybreen
05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
I was positive I remember reading when I was first starting the game, it said if you park a car in the yellow zone outside each safehouse, the car would be there when you restarted your game. I have not had a single car stay there yet for some reason. And I don't think it matters about the damage because I've had cars in immaculate condition, no damage whatsoever, and they are never there either. Weird!

Strange. I've never had any problem saving cars in front of my safehouses. Maybe it's a bug with the PS3 version (assuming you are both on the PS3). Are you sure the cars are parked completely within the space? The only issue I've had is when I left a wheel outside the lines.

billybreen
05-14-2008, 04:01 PM
The Turismo is my current car of choice. It is modeled on the Ferrari 360 Modena and is cat quick and handles like it is on rails. If you go to the Perseus clothing store in Algonquin in the NE part of the map you will see a car dealership called Gotti. It is also right around the corner from the safehouse here. It is full of Turismos so you need only pick your color and drive it through a window. Then just outrun the cops (not too hard in that ride) and it is yours.

Have you driven an Infernus yet? I think it corners better than the Turismo.

Jmac1970
05-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Have you driven an Infernus yet? I think it corners better than the Turismo.
I haven't found the Infernus yet. Any suggestions on where to go about getting one? I prefer great cornering over speed so that would actually be really nice to have.

I haven't had any problems with saving cars in front of the safehouses either but I am playing on the 360. Perhaps it IS a PS3 quirk? It is nice to have cars out front but I am often loathe to use them as I know that if I don't go back and park there again after a mission (assuming I still have it) then it is lost. I usually just end up jacking a new car as soon as I come out. The new wanted mechanic makes it fun to try and outrun the cops anyway.

DukeDude
05-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Turismo dealership.

I have the 360 version, but maybe I parked sloppily (Meadow Soprano style) the times my cars disappeared.

billybreen
05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
I haven't found the Infernus yet. Any suggestions on where to go about getting one? I prefer great cornering over speed so that would actually be really nice to have.

After you finish the Florian sequence of missions, you are given one as a gift.

Clipsfan
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM

That is how parking is supposed to work (put the cars in the yellow zones). Make sure they're completely in the yellow zone and that there are no more than 2 cars in there and save the game. If it doesn't work, I don't know what to tell ya.

billybreen
05-15-2008, 01:12 AM
I think I'm north of 67% now. I hit a stride and knocked out some more plot points. I also completed all the assassination missions and all of Brucie's exotic car grabs.

The assassination missions were super fun. I think a lot of them should have involved chases of some kind, but I made sure to start each with a few RPG shells. I would get within firing distance of the boat/motorcycle gang/truck convoy/etc and take them out with a single shot.

BlueDevilJay
05-15-2008, 08:02 AM
That is how parking is supposed to work (put the cars in the yellow zones). Make sure they're completely in the yellow zone and that there are no more than 2 cars in there and save the game. If it doesn't work, I don't know what to tell ya.

Maybe I just needed to talk to you guys about it to get it to work :) Last night I tried it on 3 separate occasions and it saved my car all 3 times :) And I know I was in the space before, Id even do the cinematic view to make sure I was in the space. Anyways, don't know what happened but it works now thankfully. And I just opened up Algonquin (The middle island) last night, and JEEZ it takes forever to drive somewhere now. I bought a new suit from Perseus store, then took Michelle on a date. She ripped into my sharp new clothes, first the coat (ugly), then the pants (hideous) and finally the shoes (laughable), so our ride to Cluckin Bell ended prematurely, and I proceeded to shoot her repeatedly with the shotgun (no insulting my new threads beyotch!). Funny though I didn't kill her, I just scared her :) She decided she'd had enough of my BS and was going to walk home. I pulled out the Uzi and made her "dance" home.

I swear too I saw SoBoHoe at Eliza's party last night, in the cut scene when I meet Playboy X and have to take him for the drug deal, she was dancing all up on Eliza. I know it was her, and I have a date with her on Wednesday (Im on Tuesday of GTA life).

Clipsfan
05-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Maybe I just needed to talk to you guys about it to get it to work :) Last night I tried it on 3 separate occasions and it saved my car all 3 times :) And I know I was in the space before, Id even do the cinematic view to make sure I was in the space. Anyways, don't know what happened but it works now thankfully. And I just opened up Algonquin (The middle island) last night, and JEEZ it takes forever to drive somewhere now. I bought a new suit from Perseus store, then took Michelle on a date. She ripped into my sharp new clothes, first the coat (ugly), then the pants (hideous) and finally the shoes (laughable), so our ride to Cluckin Bell ended prematurely, and I proceeded to shoot her repeatedly with the shotgun (no insulting my new threads beyotch!). Funny though I didn't kill her, I just scared her :) She decided she'd had enough of my BS and was going to walk home. I pulled out the Uzi and made her "dance" home.

I swear too I saw SoBoHoe at Eliza's party last night, in the cut scene when I meet Playboy X and have to take him for the drug deal, she was dancing all up on Eliza. I know it was her, and I have a date with her on Wednesday (Im on Tuesday of GTA life).

I haven't shot up any of my dates, but I did take Carmen to the club a couple nights ago and had a little accident. Carmen likes the club, but tends to get a little wobbly (I figure that's part of my 100% success ratio with her). She walked out in front of a car and got run over. The game then told me that she was dead, but did someone say that she'd just need to get picked up from the hospital later? I didn't save it so I won't be able to find out...

BlueDevilJay
05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I haven't shot up any of my dates, but I did take Carmen to the club a couple nights ago and had a little accident. Carmen likes the club, but tends to get a little wobbly (I figure that's part of my 100% success ratio with her). She walked out in front of a car and got run over. The game then told me that she was dead, but did someone say that she'd just need to get picked up from the hospital later? I didn't save it so I won't be able to find out...

You would have found out then if she could be picked up from the hospital as she would have called you, asking you to come pick her up. Mine didn't tell me that LJ was dead, I just thought he had died since he wasn't moving whatsoever. Now normally I wouldn't have shot up my date either, but I was getting tired of Michelle nagging Niko about him working for Eliza and all, so then I think, Ill go buy a new suit and all, then take her out, and she immediately starts trashing it, so I'd had enough, and was ready to stop dealing with her anyways, too many other new characters to work on now, and I go out with SoBoHoe tonight, whatever her name is. Can't wait to get home today as I have the house to myself this evening so I should get a good 4 hours of game time in with no soccer or softball games tonight.

Thats hilarious about Carmen walking out in front of a car though. I mean with this game, its about as real as it gets you know? In any other game, she would have morphed through the car hitting her because the storyline could not continue without her. In this one, I truly do feel like I determine how this story plays out. Funny story dude. I'd like to hear more things like that if anyone else has had them happen as well.

billybreen
05-18-2008, 08:28 PM
I won!

No spoilers, but suffice it to say that GTA is the best movie I've seen in a long time. Great writing, great cinematography. Just a ton of fun.

Now, to see about 100%. :)

Cavlaw
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm cruising along at about 60%, and haven't really done any of the optional stuff to completion yet (which adds total %), so I figure I'm getting close. I probably won't get there in time to trade it in for the Wii Balance Board and skiing game, though, unless I hold off getting them for a couple weeks.

BlueDevilJay
05-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Im still only at 35% right now, and just taking my time going along, trying to do everything along the way so I can possibly have 100% completion when I actually finish the last mission. Just started dating Alex, Carmen, and Kiki all at the same time in order to use their "benefits" or whatever. It gets SO busy trying to keep all your friends and girlfriends happy though, you hardly have time for missions! Almost everytime Im in a mission someone calls wanting to do something and I have to lose a little like% for them because I can't accept. Favorite missions so far by a long shot The Snow Storm and the one when Dmitri and pals are in the warehouse with my cousin (trying to be vague so as to not spoil it for anyone)

Cell-R
05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Me and my friend were seeing who could have the coolest/best/longest chase. I thought it was a good idea to go stock up on ammo, and get some body armor. After I buy everything, I decide to throw a Molotov Cocktail at the gunshop owner :eek: I end up catching on fire and running out of the building, with the owner following me with a pistol. I hide behind a car just as 2 cops hop out of their car, and they begin shooting the gunshop owner! Then a cop with a shotgun walks around the corner and kills the owner. I walk over to see if he happens to have the combat pistol (Haven't gotten it yet) and I accidentally knock a cop down. All of the sudden the cops start shooting at me! Turns out I killed the cop by knocking him down... :confused: I take off running, followed by two cops. I can't lose them so I shoot both of them, and jack a car. I was driving down the highway with one cop standing on the side of the road, I have full health but no armor left, the policeman proceeds to headshot me as i'm flying by.

billybreen
05-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Im still only at 35% right now, and just taking my time going along, trying to do everything along the way so I can possibly have 100% completion when I actually finish the last mission. Just started dating Alex, Carmen, and Kiki all at the same time in order to use their "benefits" or whatever. It gets SO busy trying to keep all your friends and girlfriends happy though, you hardly have time for missions! Almost everytime Im in a mission someone calls wanting to do something and I have to lose a little like% for them because I can't accept. Favorite missions so far by a long shot The Snow Storm and the one when Dmitri and pals are in the warehouse with my cousin (trying to be vague so as to not spoil it for anyone)

There's a whole lot required for 100% that doesn't appear as main missions or side missions. You have to kill all 200 flying rats, do all 50 stunt jumps, all 30 Most Wanted missions, 20 vigilante missions, do every activity with each of your surviving friends, and probably a few other tedious details that I've forgotten.

bdh21
05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Almost everytime Im in a mission someone calls wanting to do something and I have to lose a little like% for them because I can't accept.

If you accept a friend's offer on the phone, you can call them back immediately and cancel. By doing that you don't lose any like or respect.

Also, I got to Three Leaf Clover last night. I've only given it one shot so far (I got to the subway before dying), but I think that mission just ate my soul. I didn't think this would ever happen, but in my mind gta4 is challenging the Half-Life series for the best-game-ever title.

Jmac1970
05-19-2008, 04:34 PM
If you accept a friend's offer on the phone, you can call them back immediately and cancel. By doing that you don't lose any like or respect.

Also, I got to Three Leaf Clover last night. I've only given it one shot so far (I got to the subway before dying), but I think that mission just ate my soul. I didn't think this would ever happen, but in my mind gta4 is challenging the Half-Life series for the best-game-ever title.
I am at about 36% but I am doing a large number of side missions (I like the most wanted missions for some reason and have cleared about 20 of them). I haven't been paying attention to the pigeons but maybe I should.

I love the game but Half-Life, especially Half-Life 2 and the Episodes following remain for me the greatest games ever made. If you haven't had a chance to get The Orange Box, you should. It is an amazing collection of games and the ending of Episode 2 still comes back to me sometimes. Truly great gaming.

bdh21
05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
I am at about 36% but I am doing a large number of side missions (I like the most wanted missions for some reason and have cleared about 20 of them). I haven't been paying attention to the pigeons but maybe I should.

I love the game but Half-Life, especially Half-Life 2 and the Episodes following remain for me the greatest games ever made. If you haven't had a chance to get The Orange Box, you should. It is an amazing collection of games and the ending of Episode 2 still comes back to me sometimes. Truly great gaming.

Don't worry, I've played through portal and episode 2 about 3 times each. I don't want to count the number of times I've played HL2 (which had my favorite ending of just about any game or movie ever). They are masterpieces but gta4 is the first game that has gripped me at an equal level.

DevilAlumna
05-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I've played through portal

<hijack>
The cake is a lie.
</hijack>

BlueDevilJay
05-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Okay I have a question for those further along than me, or maybe anyone who would know the answer to this. I know the underlying theme in this game is a revenge factor for Niko. Now I am at the point where I just had to make a decision between two people (no names used of course) and I did, and I actually just finished a job interview last night before turning the game off, so you kinda know where I am. Have I missed something? What is Niko seeking revenge for? Has that already been told to me in the game or is it something that is going to come out?

Reason I ask is I know my journeys are leading me to look for one man, but I'm trying to figure out 'why' I'm (Niko) out for revenge. Don't know why it really matters but I really feel like I make decisions for Niko when playing based on his motivations, so I thought it might help. Thanks!

PensDevil
05-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Earlier in the game the revenge factor is explained somewhat. I think it is in a cutscene with Roman that Niko talks about his past, and why he came to Liberty City.

Niko was in the (SlaV?) army. His unit was out on patrol when they were ambushed. Apparently nobody outside the unit knew where they were going to be that day, so Niko figures someone in the unit was a traitor. There were only three survivors (including Niko). Since Niko knows that he wasn't the traitor, he figures one of the other two survivors must have been. He has also learned that at least one of the two is currently living in Liberty City.

BlueDevilJay
05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Earlier in the game the revenge factor is explained somewhat. I think it is in a cutscene with Roman that Niko talks about his past, and why he came to Liberty City.

Niko was in the (SlaV?) army. His unit was out on patrol when they were ambushed. Apparently nobody outside the unit knew where they were going to be that day, so Niko figures someone in the unit was a traitor. There were only three survivors (including Niko). Since Niko knows that he wasn't the traitor, he figures one of the other two survivors must have been. He has also learned that at least one of the two is currently living in Liberty City.

Great, thank you. I missed a little bit of storyline when I was first getting into the game due to outside influences (my wife talking during cut scenes, cell ringing, etc) so I knew something had happened with him while in the army, but wasn't sure as to exactly what. I appreciate the information, now I'm ready to find "the guy" or "guys" as I figure its going to be from what I've read in my game guide so far. The GTA IV Brady Games guide makes for excellent "library" material.

billybreen
05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Send me a friend request and let's cause a little havoc.

Done.

Cavlaw
05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Got the friend request, and sent a game invite. Come on the rest of you jokers! I have a helicopter warmed up and ready to carry us into the city! Of course, I'm also 2/3 of the way through a bottle sake, so there is risk of crashing...

BlueDevilJay
05-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Got the friend request, and sent a game invite. Come on the rest of you jokers! I have a helicopter warmed up and ready to carry us into the city! Of course, I'm also 2/3 of the way through a bottle sake, so there is risk of crashing...

If I had a 360 I would have joined you guys. The Multiplayer is seriously fun on this game. You kinda actually feel like its you and the guys hanging out and destroying crap. Virtual reality or as close as you can get to it. My head hurts, Im going to play Mario 2 now :)

Clipsfan
05-22-2008, 05:57 PM
If I had a 360 I would have joined you guys. The Multiplayer is seriously fun on this game. You kinda actually feel like its you and the guys hanging out and destroying crap. Virtual reality or as close as you can get to it. My head hurts, Im going to play Mario 2 now :)

When I get around to activating the one month pass that came with the game I'll join in on the fun. I'm on the west coast and don't get back until later from work, so hopefully you guys play late.

DukeDude
05-22-2008, 08:23 PM
The red ring of death knocked out my 360 for a few weeks. :(

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 08:58 AM
The red ring of death knocked out my 360 for a few weeks. :(

Dude, get a PS3!!!! Sorry, I hate that happened to your system though.

I played through the best mission I've gotten to so far last night, the one mentioned before by billybreen, Three Leaf Clover. I was trying to finish it before I leave for KY tonight, and the land of SD 25 inch tv's. Not that theres anything wrong with those, but I feel like after playing in HD on a 52 inch, it takes away from the experience, but I digress.

That has to be one of the most exhilarating missions I've ever played on any game, bar none. I ended up not completing it as I was unable to get away after the whole thing. My tires got shot out before I could get going, and then finally they disabled my vehicle, leaving me and the guys to try to grab another real quick, and I was shot dead before I could get the new car door open. I lost ALOT of time though when we were emerging from the underground, thinking I needed to shoot the lock off the door, when all I had to do was go right through it. That allowed the cops to surround the SUV sitting nearby and take out my left rear tire before I could really get going. I actually did lead them on a 10.5 minute chase before they finally blew the motor to my ride, caused me to stop right in the median, and as I said before, they finished off what little life I had left (Thinking back I should have freaking called CARMEN while I was driving!!!! Dangit!!!!).

I did use Dwayne's favor though for the first time, and brought some of his buddies to the fight with me. I called them as soon as everything started going down, and they arrived BEHIND the wall of cops and were picking them off from the back, which I found to be an amazing accidental strategy.

Jmac1970
05-23-2008, 11:50 AM

I played through the best mission I've gotten to so far last night, the one mentioned before by billybreen, Three Leaf Clover. I was trying to finish it before I leave for KY tonight, and the land of SD 25 inch tv's. Not that theres anything wrong with those, but I feel like after playing in HD on a 52 inch, it takes away from the experience, but I digress.

That has to be one of the most exhilarating missions I've ever played on any game, bar none. I ended up not completing it as I was unable to get away after the whole thing. My tires got shot out before I could get going, and then finally they disabled my vehicle, leaving me and the guys to try to grab another real quick, and I was shot dead before I could get the new car door open. I lost ALOT of time though when we were emerging from the underground, thinking I needed to shoot the lock off the door, when all I had to do was go right through it. That allowed the cops to surround the SUV sitting nearby and take out my left rear tire before I could really get going. I actually did lead them on a 10.5 minute chase before they finally blew the motor to my ride, caused me to stop right in the median, and as I said before, they finished off what little life I had left (Thinking back I should have freaking called CARMEN while I was driving!!!! Dangit!!!!).

I did use Dwayne's favor though for the first time, and brought some of his buddies to the fight with me. I called them as soon as everything started going down, and they arrived BEHIND the wall of cops and were picking them off from the back, which I found to be an amazing accidental strategy.
That was a great mission. I actually came out of the subway and called Kiki to use her special ability and my wanted level went from 3 to 0 stars. All I had to do was walk over to the SUV and head home. I felt like I had cheated a bit afterwards but what else do I keep taking her out to expensive dinners for? It was nice to be so flush with cash after that mission too.

Incidentally, another small thing about the game that makes it so great. I noticed the other day when I jacked a police cruiser with officers in it, the look of utter surprise when you try to open their door is absolutely priceless. I still laugh every time I see them look up through the window and start before getting out of the car. Great game.

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
That was a great mission. I actually came out of the subway and called Kiki to use her special ability and my wanted level went from 3 to 0 stars. All I had to do was walk over to the SUV and head home. I felt like I had cheated a bit afterwards but what else do I keep taking her out to expensive dinners for? It was nice to be so flush with cash after that mission too.

Incidentally, another small thing about the game that makes it so great. I noticed the other day when I jacked a police cruiser with officers in it, the look of utter surprise when you try to open their door is absolutely priceless. I still laugh every time I see them look up through the window and start before getting out of the car. Great game.

Great post. You literally made me LOL when I read that, because I've noticed the look on their faces as well, kinda like an old Hank Hill "What tha hell???" For the record, I didnt even THINK of Kiki either and could have done the same thing. Honestly I don't see that as cheating. They have their abilities to be used in missions, so thats a part of the game. Would have been nice to have had 100 cops and choppers chasing me, and then watching them stop dead in their tracks while on the phone with Kiki. Hilarious. Im going to beat that mission tonight when I get to KY, probably around 1 in the morning :) (Of course I think to call Dwayne and bring in some homies for battle, but not thinking of Carmen or Kiki's abilities :rolleyes: )

Clipsfan
05-23-2008, 12:19 PM

That has to be one of the most exhilarating missions I've ever played on any game, bar none. I ended up not completing it as I was unable to get away after the whole thing.

PS3s aren't immune to breaking either, as mine was out of commission during the month of April after it's Blu-ray drive went down. Then again, I had the RROD on my 360 last year.

I see that Kiki was suggested and I also ended up beating the mission by calling her as soon as I went up the subway steps. Made it easy, although it was a lot of fun the first time I tried to outrun the cops. I've kept the saved game from right before that mission so that I can play it again if I want. It's sort of funny to me that some of the more fun missions are basically shooters in a game that's not a great FPS.

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah I know the PS3's aren't immune by any means, but you do not hear anywhere near the number of PS3's breaking as you do with 360 owners having the RROD. I personally do not know but 1 Xbox360 owner that actually has NOT had to deal with the RROD at least once. To me, that sounds like a faulty product big time. Now Im not a PS3 fanboy or anything as I'd gladly play a 360 if given one, I just rarely hear about PS3's having issues (I know they do) as much as I hear people getting the RROD all the time. Big time bummer.

As for the mission, heck yeah running from the cops was fun. Mine was made even more fun due to having a flat tire from the beginning of the chase, trying to keep from going off a bridge due to losing control of the SUV, etc. It was a good time, but of course left me cussing at the end of it because I had gotten SO CLOSE to completing the mission on my first try.

billybreen
05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Great post. You literally made me LOL when I read that, because I've noticed the look on their faces as well, kinda like an old Hank Hill "What tha hell???" For the record, I didnt even THINK of Kiki either and could have done the same thing. Honestly I don't see that as cheating. They have their abilities to be used in missions, so thats a part of the game. Would have been nice to have had 100 cops and choppers chasing me, and then watching them stop dead in their tracks while on the phone with Kiki. Hilarious. Im going to beat that mission tonight when I get to KY, probably around 1 in the morning :) (Of course I think to call Dwayne and bring in some homies for battle, but not thinking of Carmen or Kiki's abilities :rolleyes: )

The only special ability I used until the last few missions was Jacob. I didn't know about Kiki or any of the others, so now I'm working to build those up just for fun.

Alright, this is borderline confessing to psychotic behavior, but one of my favorite things to do when jacking a car (police cruiser or otherwise) is to free aim with the pistol and shoot the driver in the head. Occasionally the driver slumps forward on the gas and runs you over if you are directly in front. It sucks, but it's also pretty hilarious when it happens.

DukeDude
05-23-2008, 12:46 PM

I do have a Ps3. It is a great movie player, but I prefer gaming on the 360. I am actually glad that my 360 finally failed. Now I can get a replacement under warranty that should have a much lower failure rate than my original.

Clipsfan
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
I do have a Ps3. It is a great movie player, but I prefer gaming on the 360. I am actually glad that my 360 finally failed. Now I can get a replacement under warranty that should have a much lower failure rate than my original.

You could always have caused it to fail if that was your concern. A blanket and a little time does the trick.

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 01:40 PM
The only special ability I used until the last few missions was Jacob. I didn't know about Kiki or any of the others, so now I'm working to build those up just for fun.

Alright, this is borderline confessing to psychotic behavior, but one of my favorite things to do when jacking a car (police cruiser or otherwise) is to free aim with the pistol and shoot the driver in the head. Occasionally the driver slumps forward on the gas and runs you over if you are directly in front. It sucks, but it's also pretty hilarious when it happens.

I do the same thing, except its to watch them fall over on their horns, and you can kinda recreate that classic movie scene where someone dies at the wheel, and you hear the eerie sound of the horn blaring, from their head laying over on the steering wheel. :)

billybreen
05-23-2008, 01:43 PM
I do the same thing, except its to watch them fall over on their horns, and you can kinda recreate that classic movie scene where someone dies at the wheel, and you hear the eerie sound of the horn blaring, from their head laying over on the steering wheel. :)

Yep. You can nudge them off the wheel by shooting them in the head again.

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Yep. You can nudge them off the wheel by shooting them in the head again.

LOL, yes, I too know this from doing it. We may need to visit the psychiatrist.

DukeDude
05-23-2008, 04:52 PM
You could always have caused it to fail if that was your concern. A blanket and a little time does the trick.

That thought had crossed my mind. I am glad that I didn't have to turn to fraud. Thank you GTA4.