PDA

View Full Version : Greg Hansen

BD80
04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Again, the DBR on its front page takes a shot at Greg Hansen ("the lowest regard"), but without explanation. Can anyone link the articles or explain what led to this low esteem?

I am not defending Hansen, or questioning whether the assessment of Hansen is valid, I am just curious as to the history. I find the situation there to be very interesting, and have spent some time in Arizona and have family there. It is commonly understood that there is a bitter feud between Hansen and Olsen, and many UA supporters detest Hansen, I just can't track down the history.

While the linked article superficially appears to be fair reporting, it is instructive that the information about Andre Iguodala and Marcus Williams is derived from other articles. It does not appear that Hansen obtained this information for himself. Doesn't sound like great reporting. Hansen was the beat writer at the time Iguodala and Williams were playing at UA, why didn't he have that info years ago?

Any info on the history of the Hansen/Olsen feud or the DBR opinion of Hansen would be appreciated.

BCGroup
04-21-2008, 03:43 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8499&highlight=greg+hansen

dkbaseball
04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Hansen was the beat writer at the time Iguodala and Williams were playing at UA

Was he? I know he's had a column for over 30 years, and it would be unusual for a paper the size of the Arizona Daily Star to have a columnist double as a beat reporter. But I don't know for sure. I think that was during the period when Lute had him banned from the locker room, so if he was the beat reporter he was definitely hamstrung in doing his job.

BD80
04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8499&highlight=greg+hansen

ummmm ..... thanks?

That was the thread I started last time DBR took a shot at Hansen, which sparked my curiosity. The only info I got was that in the 90s Hansen called Lute "unresponsive." My "research" showed that it was something more, perhaps relating to some allegation of a fight between the coaching staffs of UA and UNLV.

There has been no information which would explain why Hansen is held in such low regard by DBR.

What I have read by Hansen would indicate that he is determined to be taken as a real reporter with the appearance of presenting facts impartially, but that he has an unmistakable bias that seeps into his stories and his selection of facts to report. For example, he reports on the dissatisfied alum, but my Google search didn't pull up any Hansen articles praising Arenas for dumping several million $ into the UA athletics department.

BCGroup
04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Sorry--I just knew the other thread had discussed at least part of it, did a quick search and posted it. Didn't even realize you started that one too.