PDA

View Full Version : NBA Duke alumni vs. UNC alumni fantasy game

DukieInBrasil
04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
We have 13 alumni in the NBA thats an entire team worth of players from Duke. Duhon is really the only PG, while the rest of the roster is loaded at the PF, SF and SG positions. Duke alums don't have a C in the NBA. How would this team do against the ex-Tarholes in the NBA? I'm gonna go on a position by position basis even tho as a team game things might be a bit different.
Well, the Holes win the PG spot, Raymond Felton is a better scorer than C-Du, tho' Chris can definitely handle the ball just fine, as seen by CDu's 4/1 a/to as well as has his whopping 15/0 the other night along with 22 pts! Too bad J-Will self-destructed cuz he would have lifted this team up at the PG spot.
We don't really have a C to counter Haywood (Wiz) but I'll take trip-B's (Boozer, Battier and [healthy] Brand) over Jamison (Wiz), Sheed (Detroit) and Haywood. And Shelden beats May (Bobcats), in my book, at the reserve PF spot.
Vince Carter (Nets) beats Deng, but just ever so slightly cuz Vince is still freakishly athletic even tho' LD is not nearly as streaky. Grant vs. Stackhouse, despite his myriad injuries Grant has aged better than Stack (and we might see that match-up in the Playoffs), I'll take Mr. Hill. Maggette vs. Williams (ATL) goes to Maggette pretty easily but would be a great match-up.
Dunleavy vs. Wright goes to Mike quite easily, even tho that wouldn't be a natural match-up I took it cuz UNCs other 2 are not even as inspiring as BW.
McRoberts, JJ, Shav and Dhantay provide decent balance and would form a much better deep bench than McInnis and McCants.
Daniel Ewing vs. Shammond Williams is also a toss-up in a match-up of alumni who have just recently left the league.

In the individual match-ups I see the ex-Devils whooping the ex-Holes (well, once a-Hole always a-Hole I guess). And since we have a better deep-bench as well, I think the team of ex-Devils would crush the ex-Holes. Had we played this fantasy game 10 years ago when Jordan was still at his peak and before the surge of excellent Duke alumni to get into the league, UNC would have won, and quite easily I think. Amazing how things change yet Duke is still seen as "unable to produce good NBA players".

jgehtland
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Out of interest, Shelden is listed at Center for Sactown.

ugadevil
04-17-2008, 10:27 PM
I actually made my own fantasy league on Yahoo where teams were made up of players from their own schools. The league had teams for Duke, UNC, UConn, Arizona, Michigan State, and Kentucky. UConn ended up winning the league, with UNC 2nd & Duke 3rd. Really, it wasn't even very close for the Huskies...Caron Butler, Richard Hamilton, Emeka Okafor, Ray Allen, Rudy Gay...get outta' here!

K24U
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I actually made my own fantasy league on Yahoo where teams were made up of players from their own schools. The league had teams for Duke, UNC, UConn, Arizona, Michigan State, and Kentucky. UConn ended up winning the league, with UNC 2nd & Duke 3rd. Really, it wasn't even very close for the Huskies...Caron Butler, Richard Hamilton, Emeka Okafor, Ray Allen, Rudy Gay...get outta' here!

If Brand played the whole year how close would Duke be in beating UNC?

BlueintheFace
04-18-2008, 11:54 AM

Thats what I was thinking...
Brand
Boozer
Maggette
Dunleavy
(Duhon???)

huied
04-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Thats what I was thinking...
Brand
Boozer
Maggette
Dunleavy
(Duhon???)

Aren't you forgetting Grant Hill? I may be a little bais since Hill's my favorite Duke player, but doesn't he give better fantasy numbers than either Maggette or Dunleavy?

ugadevil
04-18-2008, 02:09 PM

I think a healthy Brand would help. Also, a healthy Deng would help a lot too. For those guys, it really hurt Duke because they're great fantasy players as they're solid in many different stat categories. Brand would have negated the dominance of Rasheed, who's one of the best fantasy options in the league. He averages 1 steal, 1 block, 1 3 point made per game, which is rare.

BlueintheFace
04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Aren't you forgetting Grant Hill? I may be a little bais since Hill's my favorite Duke player, but doesn't he give better fantasy numbers than either Maggette or Dunleavy?

No, I'm not forgetting him.

Grant Hill--- 13.1 ppg, 2.9 apg, 5.0 rpg
Corey Maggette--- 22.1 ppg. 2.7 apg, 5.6 rpg
Mike Dunleavy--- 19.1 ppg, 3.5 apg, 5.2 rpg

DukieInBrasil
04-18-2008, 09:16 PM
i forgot that "Fantasy games" is now an official term with pts given for certain (sometimes arbitrartily so) stats. I was envisioning more of a game between these guys, not their stats.
Shelden may be listed as a C, but he´s be just about the shortest one in the league at 6´9.
I didn´t realize how good McCants numbers are, even so i´d take Dunleavy over McCants .

huied
04-18-2008, 10:29 PM
No, I'm not forgetting him.

Grant Hill--- 13.1 ppg, 2.9 apg, 5.0 rpg
Corey Maggette--- 22.1 ppg. 2.7 apg, 5.6 rpg
Mike Dunleavy--- 19.1 ppg, 3.5 apg, 5.2 rpg

Oh...well I'd still take him. :p

davekay1971
04-19-2008, 07:49 AM
I'd enjoy that game just to watch McCants, Raw-sheet, and Carter try to play on the same team. Talk about 3 head-cases. It'd probably be our best chance to watch tarholes actually kill each other.