PDA

View Full Version : Horvath a Tall Black?

BD80
04-17-2008, 07:40 AM
The article cited on the DBR front page describes Nick going through "a year-long process that will see him play as an unrestricted player ... for the Tall Blacks"

WOW, some makeover.

All kidding aside, how did his team's name originate? Can you imagine any team with such a name in the States?

DevilWolf
04-17-2008, 07:46 AM
The most famous rugby team in the world is the All Blacks (uniform color). It's a play on words for the basketball team.

Channing
04-17-2008, 08:40 AM
any chance we see Horvath competing in international play? If dont know if NZ's team typically makes the olympics or not.

BD80
04-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the help.

NZ sounds like a great place. A place where rugby is popular and where there is a sufficient lack of political correctness to allow for a bit of humor in naming sports teams.

Congrats to Nick, I hope he finds much happiness there.

killerleft
04-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Nick must be adopted since his daddy's last name is Snr!:p

happydays1949
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure what happens to a US citizen when he becomes a citizen of another country. Does he renounce his US citizenship?

ikiru36
04-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Basketball players stand out ever more conspicuously there as "Tall", what with all the Hobbits.

Edouble
04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
"I'm ecstatic to be a Kiwi"

--Nick Horvath

hughgs
04-17-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure what happens to a US citizen when he becomes a citizen of another country. Does he renounce his US citizenship?

That's a function of the country. For example, I don't believe that Canada requires someone to renounce their prior country's citizenship. Hence, there are a number of people with dual Canadian citizenships. Colchar will have better insight into Canada's requirements.

Oh Canada
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
New Zealand is a beautiful place with absolutely beautiful people. I spend a month there every summer teaching and find it the greatest place on the planet.

The "Tall Blacks" are very popular over there and every year when the world championships or qualifiers are going on the country really gets into it. Rugby is the national sport and the All Blacks get all the national media attention but I think Nick is in a perfect situation. The people of NZ love the sport and will support him through the transition process of becoming part of a country that we all could model!

pfrduke
04-17-2008, 10:54 AM

The US does not insist that you renounce your US citizenship. For example, I'm currently going through the process (and it's a long freaking process) of attaining Italian citizenship, but I intend to keep the US as my primary residence and primary citizenship. If, by attaining another nation's citizenship, you "intend" to relinquish your US citizenship, you may lose it, even if you don't affirmatively renounce it.

Rich
04-17-2008, 12:59 PM
The article also says he's a "2.08m big man." I think they're understating his height. Wasn't he, like, at least 2.10m at Duke? ;)

colchar
04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the help.

NZ sounds like a great place. A place where rugby is popular and where there is a sufficient lack of political correctness to allow for a bit of humor in naming sports teams.

It isn't humour of lack of political correctness - it is all about uniform colour.

colchar
04-17-2008, 01:49 PM
That's a function of the country. For example, I don't believe that Canada requires someone to renounce their prior country's citizenship. Hence, there are a number of people with dual Canadian citizenships. Colchar will have better insight into Canada's requirements.

You're correct. I actually have dual citizenship myself - British and Canadian. Although I was born here in Canada I have British citizenship through my parents (I also lived there for a time when I was a child). In fact, despite being born in Canada, I do not carry a Canadian passport - my passport is British. I get more hassle coming back into Canada on that passport (despite the fact that it clearly states that I was born in Toronto) that I do going into Britain (they rarely even speak to me at immigration beyond saying "welcome home").

Having dual citizenship also makes it simple for me to emigrate which I am seriously seriously considering doing - whether I leave academia (looks more and more likely) or not.

colchar
04-17-2008, 01:50 PM
New Zealand is a beautiful place with absolutely beautiful people. I spend a month there every summer teaching and find it the greatest place on the planet.

The "Tall Blacks" are very popular over there and every year when the world championships or qualifiers are going on the country really gets into it. Rugby is the national sport and the All Blacks get all the national media attention but I think Nick is in a perfect situation. The people of NZ love the sport and will support him through the transition process of becoming part of a country that we all could model!

Interesting post name. Where are you from?

EarlJam
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
The article cited on the DBR front page describes Nick going through "a year-long process that will see him play as an unrestricted player ... for the Tall Blacks"

WOW, some makeover.

Not touching this one with a Wilt Chamberlain-sized pole.

-EarlJam

colchar
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Not touching this one with a Wilt Chamberlain-sized pole.

-EarlJam

Dude, I'm not even going to ask how you know about the size of...oh never mind.

EarlJam
04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Dude, I'm not even going to ask how you know about the size of...oh never mind.

I wasn't even going there man! I was talking about his height! You are a sick, sick man!

-EarlJam

colchar
04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I wasn't even going there man! I was talking about his height!

Yeah right.

You are a sick, sick man!

Guilty as charged.

Oh Canada
04-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm from Barrie, ON. Nice to see another fellow Canadian Duke fan. Where are you from?

colchar
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm from Barrie, ON. Nice to see another fellow Canadian Duke fan. Where are you from?

Barrie eh? I was there a couple of weeks ago. Also, we had a cottage in Wasaga for years but sold it a few years ago (I wonder if that lonely little drive-in out in Elmvale still exists?).

I'm from Brampton originally but spent the last 5-6 years in K-W (Waterloo mostly with the last year spent in Cambridge). Now back in Brampton for 6-8 weeks before I take off to Britain for the summer. When I return to Canada I'll head back to K-W.

And nice to see another Canuck on these boards - I've been carrying the torch by myself for a few years now. You should post more often, seriously.

BD80
04-17-2008, 04:15 PM

Some of us actually live north of Canada, but as long as you are not from Quebec, allow me to offer a welcome ;)

As you can see from Colchar's gaudy posting statistics, Canadians have been getting the better end of the exchange rate for a while now. If he had been posting in "America," he wouldn't yet have reached 1,000 :rolleyes:

colchar
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Some of us actually live north of Canada, but as long as you are not from Quebec, allow me to offer a welcome ;)

As you can see from Colchar's gaudy posting statistics, Canadians have been getting the better end of the exchange rate for a while now. If he had been posting in "America," he wouldn't yet have reached 1,000 :rolleyes:

I'd hate to see my posting statistics if they had carried them over from the old boards. Now that would be scary!!

And, if they had done that, surely Jason Evans would've been fired from CNN by now.

throatybeard
04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I saw Nick Horvath in summer pick-up, and he’s hitting threes blinfolded in a dark gym with 45-degree slanted rims, he’s put on 50 pounds of muscle, he schooled Boozer/SWilliams, he's African American now somehow, and Angelina Jolie was seen waiting for him after practice, idling in a cherry-colored convertible.

MChambers
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM

WOW, some makeover.

That was based on his play in summer pickup games.

DevilAlumna
04-17-2008, 11:55 PM
I saw Nick Horvath in summer pick-up, and he’s hitting threes blinfolded in a dark gym with 45-degree slanted rims, he’s put on 50 pounds of muscle, he schooled Boozer/SWilliams, he's African American now somehow, and Angelina Jolie was seen waiting for him after practice, idling in a cherry-colored convertible.

He's also hella-smart and works at a large software company in the Pacific Northwest. Must happen during the off-season.

(No, really, there's a guy named Nick Horvath where I work. Funny guy, actually, with a good sense of humor about the name confusion.)

devildeac
04-19-2008, 07:48 PM

That's all so old news. Tell us something new about Nick:D