PDA

View Full Version : Law and Order: SVU Hoops Edition

goodchristian
04-17-2008, 07:19 AM
DBR, can you elaborate on your front page story , in which you mention a recruit raped a child? That seems pretty crazy!

Duvall
04-17-2008, 08:56 AM
That's a fairly inflammatory way to refer to someone who was charged with statutory rape (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=1562) and pled to a lesser offense. What happened to "[w]e have no idea what happened"?

Edouble
04-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I thought that was really inappropriate. It's possible he was 17 and had sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend. I'm glad to see someone else was bothered by this. Just because he's a Maryland kid now, doesn't mean we have to embellish things that he did two years ago.

Icarus09
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I agree with the above postings that we are being a bit judgmental. The charge was later dismissed so I'm guessing that the evidence simply was not there. I do think, however, that he probably has less than stellar off-the-court behavior just given that after his offer from K-State was rescinded he also was dismissed from his team at Butler County Community College. You can read more here:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-sp.terpshoop16apr16,0,2579316.story

Edouble
04-17-2008, 10:23 AM
I agree with the above postings that we are being a bit judgmental. The charge was later dismissed so I'm guessing that the evidence simply was not there. I do think, however, that he probably has less than stellar off-the-court behavior just given that after his offer from K-State was rescinded he also was dismissed from his team at Butler County Community College. You can read more here:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-sp.terpshoop16apr16,0,2579316.story

Exactly! Shelden Williams' sexual assault charges were dismissed and he was left off ofthe McDonald's team. How would we feel if a Maryland Basketball fan site posted something like what was on DBR this morning?

By the way, his offer from Cincinnatti was rescinded, but not K State. K State was one of the schools he was considering but he chose Maryland, since Huggins was no longer at K State.

His coach at MSCC says he's a good person, so maybe he hit a rough patch (as many adolescents do) and he's gotten his act together.

moonpie23
04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
DBR, can you elaborate on your front page story , in which you mention a recruit raped a child? That seems pretty crazy!

what's your motivation for this post?

IStillHateJimBain
04-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Tyree Evans had some issues when he was at George Wythe High School in Richmond too. Maryland is buying trouble.

shadowfax336
04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I didn't think the main page article was innapropriate, its true that the guy has had a very troubled past, but this thread is just not a good idea. Can a mod please remove it or at least change the title?

Acymetric
04-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree with Shadow...

Can I just say that I'd be hugely in favor of changing the thread title to something...less edgy. I'm already pretty tired of reading the line "Rape of a Child" every time i go to the topic list...and since that really isn't what happened I don't think its remotely appropriate to keep it there.

shadowfax336
04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
In any case this was a 17 year old and a 15 year old (that wasn't a fun fact checking trip, but can we please change the title???)
Not exactly what the thread title is indicating.

shadowfax336
04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
There we go, thank you!

pfrduke
04-17-2008, 11:23 AM
What DBR said was "statutory rape of a child over 14," not just "rape of a child" (unless it's already been changed since earlier this morning). That's a perfectly accurate way to characterize what the charge was, and doesn't strike me as inflammatory at all.

Duvall
04-17-2008, 11:23 AM
In any case this was a 17 year old and a 15 year old (that wasn't a fun fact checking trip, but can we please change the title???)

To be fair, the thread title was a direct quote from DBR's Tyree Evans column from the front page.

Acymetric
04-17-2008, 11:25 AM

This may or may not belong here, but honestly theres such a huge difference between rape and statutory rape that I think the term for statutory rape should be changed entirely.

Duvall
04-17-2008, 11:25 AM
What DBR said was "statutory rape of a child over 14," not just "rape of a child" (unless it's already been changed since earlier this morning). That's a perfectly accurate way to characterize what the charge was, and doesn't strike me as inflammatory at all.

That's not what it said originally - the initial front page article referred to rape of a child, with no clarification or context.

rockymtn devil
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM

It's been changed since this morning. It originally said what the original title of this thread was, and I too was questioning the choice of words by the DBR. Glad to see they changed it.

roywhite
04-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Seems like a few things are clear about the Terps' latest recruit:

1. He sounds like a very good athlete and potentially very good player
2. He is physically mature, being 4 years past his HS graduating class
3. He's got a ton of baggage

Who knows...he may become a very good player for the Terps, stay out of trouble, and graduate...but it seems indicative that Gary is taking risks to get his program back to upper level status.

allenmurray
04-17-2008, 11:57 AM
A charge of statuatory rape can be applied even when the sex was consensual between two minors if there is enough age difference between them based on the laws of the state (with the assumption being that a 15 year old can not really give consent). If that were the case it might make sense that the lesser charge that he pled to would have been sexual assault, or taking liberties with a minor. or contributing to the delinquincy of a minor.

However, the lesser charges he pled guilty to were assault and battery. Sio while he was never found guilty of rape (either forcible or statuatory) he did plead guilty to assaulting a 15 year old girl.

I am now even more embarassed to be a graduate of the University of Maryland.

hondoheel
04-17-2008, 12:43 PM
That may not even be the worst of it:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=295008

Acymetric
04-17-2008, 01:06 PM
A charge of statuatory rape can be applied even when the sex was consensual between two minors if there is enough age difference between them based on the laws of the state (with the assumption being that a 15 year old can not really give consent). If that were the case it might make sense that the lesser charge that he pled to would have been sexual assault, or taking liberties with a minor. or contributing to the delinquincy of a minor.

However, the lesser charges he pled guilty to were assault and battery. Sio while he was never found guilty of rape (either forcible or statuatory) he did plead guilty to assaulting a 15 year old girl.

I am now even more embarassed to be a graduate of the University of Maryland.

Would the other crimes he could have plead down to have required him to register as a sex offender at all? Possibly he was offered the assault and battery to receive punishment while not being permanently labeled as a sex offender for something that may have been legal 3 years later (this would assume it was consensual). I don't know enough about law to know of that kind of offer would be made, or what sex crimes require registration (I do know it varies state to state) so anyone that knows more about this, chime in.

shadowfax336
04-17-2008, 01:28 PM
That may not even be the worst of it:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=295008

does this qualify as rumor-mongering?

because its linking to a rather ungrounded libelous accusation

no offense hondo, but thats quite an accusation to link to without any evidence

El_Diablo
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luke_winn/05/05/evans.maryland/index.html

Looks like a VERY desperate move by Gary Williams...

roywhite
05-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Tyree, we hardly knew you.

I was slightly surprised to see this, even though there was good reason. This can not reflect well on Gary....