PDA

View Full Version : D-D-D-Demarc

CameronCrazy'11
04-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Is he likely going to the NBA next year? I would love to see him really succeed and maybe get a championship in the pros. You could tell he really wanted a national title and it's hard to see such a dedicated and talented Duke player have to leave with out one.

Channing
04-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I saw he didnt play in the Portsmouth Invitational. Is he hurt or is he just guaranteed to play at Orlando?

BlueintheFace
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Any way you look at it, Demarcus is going to have some tough work ahead. He will either be taken in the mid-late second round and have to work hard to stay on the team or go undrafted and work REALLY hard to just get on a team. Either way, I think he has a chance...

CDu
04-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Any way you look at it, Demarcus is going to have some tough work ahead. He will either be taken in the mid-late second round and have to work hard to stay on the team or go undrafted and work REALLY hard to just get on a team. Either way, I think he has a chance...

Agreed. Undersized guards like Nelson tend to have a tough time in the NBA. If he's 6'4", he has an outside chance. If he's 6'2-6'3", the odds are very much against him. Amazing how one or two inches in height can make such a difference, but when you're already undersized for your spot, every bit helps (or hurts).

Clipsfan
04-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Agreed. Undersized guards like Nelson tend to have a tough time in the NBA. If he's 6'4", he has an outside chance. If he's 6'2-6'3", the odds are very much against him. Amazing how one or two inches in height can make such a difference, but when you're already undersized for your spot, every bit helps (or hurts).

True, but his strength in the pros would be on the defensive end, so there may be a spot as a defender/role player. He'll need to work on the 3 point shot some more, though.

CDu
04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
True, but his strength in the pros would be on the defensive end, so there may be a spot as a defender/role player. He'll need to work on the 3 point shot some more, though.

The key word is "may." There MAY be a spot on someone's bench for an undersized guard with good defensive skills. There are plenty of good defensive players out there, and not all of them are undersized for their position, and not all of them lack a consistent jumpshot. There are a LOT of hurdles for Nelson to overcome. I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm just saying I highly doubt he'll pull it off.

dukeENG2003
04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
For those questioning his height, remember, although he's not THAT tall, he has a FREAKISH wingspan, which makes him taller on D (where your head is matters less than how high up your hands get) not to mention his great leaping ability. All those offensive fouls he got called on him in college will be a thing of the past too. He knows how to drive hard to the basket and finish. I'm not saying he's a lock or anything to catch on (far from it), but he has some upside. He definitely needs to continue to work on his shot though.

Billy Dat
04-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I love Markie, but he can't shoot. If he can't shoot, then he can't score in the NBA which means he can't play in the NBA. I hope he's got the moxie to live overseas and get paid to play for the next 10 years.

jimbonelson
04-16-2008, 04:13 PM
True, but his strength in the pros would be on the defensive end, so there may be a spot as a defender/role player. He'll need to work on the 3 point shot some more, though. he also has to work on his free throws but i expect to see him in the NBA some were. i think if giving the chance he will succeed

Carlos
04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I saw he didnt play in the Portsmouth Invitational. Is he hurt or is he just guaranteed to play at Orlando?

His agent advised him against going to Portsmouth. He performed well in the NABC All-Star game at the Final Four so maybe they thought he could only hurt himself by participating.

DukieBoy
04-16-2008, 06:37 PM
According to this (http://www.nbadraft.net), Demark is a late second rounder as of now (scroll down, on bottom right)

FireOgilvie
04-16-2008, 06:42 PM
According to this (http://www.nbadraft.net), Demark is a late second rounder as of now (scroll down, on bottom right)

That list is pretty incomplete. It doesn't include a lot of people that are on the bubble of going to the draft... such as Bill Walker of Kansas State, a UNC player or 3, and numerous others. It's hard to make an accurate ranking at this point.

geraldsneighbor
04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Demarcus' shot is just very flat. If he can fix that, it will cure his 3-point and free throw trouble he experienced at times. He is a very dedicated player so I don't doubt seeing him bagttle to the league. Even if he has to go the D-league route, I think he will find a spot on a roster.

BlueintheFace
04-16-2008, 10:04 PM
He also has a very very slow release... but hey, if Rashad McCants can make it in the NBA (is he still in the NBA?) with his 10 second release, then anybody can

Inonehand
04-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Heard DeMarcus isn't going to be at the banquet but nobody I've asked knows why. Anybody out there know?

Channing
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
He also has a very very slow release... but hey, if Rashad McCants can make it in the NBA (is he still in the NBA?) with his 10 second release, then anybody can

to be fair, I think Rashad is a far superior offensive talent to Demarcus. Once he got a little motivated, he actually became a pretty productive player in the NBA.

Bob Green
04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
I love Markie, but he can't shoot. If he can't shoot, then he can't score in the NBA which means he can't play in the NBA. I hope he's got the moxie to live overseas and get paid to play for the next 10 years.

The facts do not support your statement. DeMarcus made 49% of his FG attempts this season, which was the highest on the team for anyone who attempted at least 100 shots.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/stats?teamId=150&sort=fieldGoalPct

Brian Zoubek and Lance Thomas had better percentages, but DeMarcus attempted 351 shots to Thomas' 97 and Zoubek's 69. DeMarcus can shoot.

RelativeWays
04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
D-marc i s better athletically than Daniel Ewing and he got 2 years with the clips. On the other hand, Dahntey Jones is much more of an NBA talent than Nelson, and was doing ok for the Griz before they cut him.

I can see DeMarcus being drafted in the second round, and maybe he'll be a surprise like Duhon. When Chris applies himself, he is a very good NBA player, most people didn't think he'd be much of a player in the NBA.

CDu
04-17-2008, 09:24 AM
The facts do not support your statement. DeMarcus made 49% of his FG attempts this season, which was the highest on the team for anyone who attempted at least 100 shots.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/stats?teamId=150&sort=fieldGoalPct

Brian Zoubek and Lance Thomas had better percentages, but DeMarcus attempted 351 shots to Thomas' 97 and Zoubek's 69. DeMarcus can shoot.

FG% is a terrible metric for shooting ability. As I'm sure you are aware, layups and dunks count toward field goal percentage. Hence, the guys with whom Nelson is competing for field goal percentage honors are big men. I don't think anyone would argue that Zoubek or Thomas is a better shooter than, say, Scheyer or Singler. But those guys take "high-percentage" shots. Nelson falls into the same category. Free throw percentage and 3-point percentage are much better measures, although 3-point percentage doesn't control for the difficulty of the shot attempt.

Nelson isn't a terrible three-point shooter (in fact, his percentage was pretty decent). But he's a set-shooter. Most (if not all) of his threes came on set shots from kickouts when he was fairly wide open. Unless you're a marksman llike Steve Kerr, those shots don't really exist for a small guard in the NBA. And he's a terrible free throw shooter, which makes me question his overall shooting ability.

Nelson is going to have to show more shooting versatility. I honestly can't remember seeing him take a jumpshot off the dribble, or off a screen. He either shot a set-shot from three or shot within five feet of the rim. For a player his size, and given his slow release, he's going to have to prove he can shoot off the dribble (not dunk off the dribble) or off screens.

Again, that's not to say he can't do these things and improve. I'm just saying that we haven't really seen improvement in these areas in four years, so to see it suddenly emerge now would be surprising. And they will be absolutely necessary for him at the next level.

CDu
04-17-2008, 09:28 AM
D-marc i s better athletically than Daniel Ewing and he got 2 years with the clips. On the other hand, Dahntey Jones is much more of an NBA talent than Nelson, and was doing ok for the Griz before they cut him.

I can see DeMarcus being drafted in the second round, and maybe he'll be a surprise like Duhon. When Chris applies himself, he is a very good NBA player, most people didn't think he'd be much of a player in the NBA.

The difference is that Duhon plays a position that has limited depth. Like centers, there aren't a wealth of quality NBA point guards. Duhon is a very good ballhandler, good passer, good defender, and good floor general. If he could show any kind of consistency in his shooting/scoring, he could be a sure-fire NBA starter at PG. Nelson, on the other hand, plays at the deepest position in the NBA. Adequate shooting guards are a dime a dozen.

Edouble
04-17-2008, 10:13 AM
CDu, you've really got your story straight. I for one, can't imagine DeMarcus making it in the NBA. There are just too many players that have the total package, and DeMarcus is a few details shy of being an NBA player. Despite the wingspan and the toughness, most NBA teams are gonna take a highly gifted offensive player like Ellington or Henderson before they go after a defensive stopper like Nelson. Battier is a guy who tries to shut down the other teams 2 or 3, and he's 6'8". It's hard to see a team in the NBA looking for a guy who's 6'3" or 6'4" to do the same thing. T-mac or VC could post-up Nelson all day long. Yes, I know DeMarcus is strong, but I haven't seen much of the guy's post defense. I also think that an NBA exec. is gonna take one look at DeMarcus' flat shot and say "no thanks."

dukeENG2003
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
T-mac or VC could post-up Nelson all day long. Yes, I know DeMarcus is strong, but I haven't seen much of the guy's post defense.

Nelson has proved he can guard not only the 3, but the 4, at least on the college level. I'm not so sure if I agree with you that T-mac or VC could post him up all day long. He's incredibly strong (not just strong for his height, he's STRONG) and long. Your comments about his shot are correct, this is his biggest fault for sure, but I don't think you can say you haven't seen his post defense. He's played quite a bit of good post D in his college career.

cruxer
04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
First-time poster here. I'm so happy to find fellow Duke fans!

I think if DeMarcus makes it in the NBA it will be at point guard with some limited time at the 2. SGs in the NBA will be bigger than he faced in college and will be able to shoot over him. I think he has the defensive chops to guard the 1 and his scoring would be less of an issue at the 1. My only question would be DeMarcus' ball-handling skills.

I went to high school with a kid named Anthony Johnson who DeMarcus reminds me a lot of (Big PG, long arms, strong, football player in HS). Ant has had a very long and successful career as a backup PG in the NBA.

Anthony's NBA profile (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_johnson/index.html)

Channing
04-17-2008, 12:39 PM
as a defensive stopper - if Mario West from GT can make a roster (even if it is the Hawks') then D-Marc should be able to as well. I can't recall, though, if Nelson was as good a defender as West.

CDu
04-17-2008, 01:03 PM
as a defensive stopper - if Mario West from GT can make a roster (even if it is the Hawks') then D-Marc should be able to as well. I can't recall, though, if Nelson was as good a defender as West.

West is certainly the exception. Most guys who don't play substantial minutes in college (on a not-so-great team at that) don't find jobs in the NBA. Conversely, plenty of guys who were great in college don't find jobs in the NBA.

JBDuke
04-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Another good comparison for DeMarcus might be D.J. Strawberry, who is on the Suns' roster. Like DeMarcus, D.J. is a defensive-oriented wing that is better attacking the basket than shooting from the perimeter. DeMarcus is a little shorter, but makes up for that with his long arms.

D.J. only played in 33 games for the Suns this year, but he's still on the roster.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
DeMarcus will be playing in Smithfield on Saturday night in an ACC seniors' game! The HS gym is a par 5 away from my house. I think I'll go see him play!

geraldsneighbor
04-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Who exactly is playing in this game?

OZZIE4DUKE
04-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Who exactly is playing in this game?

http://www.theherald-nc.com/sports/story/7881.html

CDu
04-18-2008, 08:12 AM
http://www.theherald-nc.com/sports/story/7881.html

Wow. Something tells me the scouts won't be out in full force for this one. :)

Methodistman
04-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Quick story - my wife's law firm works with a marketing guy who is a huge unc fan, however since my wife's firm is a client he has helped us out from time to time - tickets to the Maryland game this year, for example. Her marketing guy asked her if our sons (10 and 8) would like to talk to Demarcus Nelson, and she told him of course. So tonight I answered my cellphone and who was there? None other than the captain himself! Demarcus talked to one of my sons before he had to take off for something else, but he implored my son to work hard, study hard, and play hard. My son was so excited after the call he went out and played probably the best baseball game he's ever played.

When Demarcus had to hurry off the phone, he said he had someone else there willing to talk to my sons - Quentin Thomas from unc. I asked my son if he wanted to speak to a player from unc who just played in the final four, and his reply? "Uh - no thanks." All you could hear over the phone was laughter as Q and D-Marc laughed it off.

That guy really touched the life of my kids with that phone call. He's also delivering an autographed team poster for them, with the words "Study hard; play hard." That's something I'll always treasure for them . . . and possibly hang in my office for safe keeping ;)

moonpie23
04-24-2008, 11:32 PM
similar story...man the kids can really have some really hard-core fanship. I'm a record producer and i was working with a pretty famous star from the raleigh area. i won't mention his name (clay aiken) .

when i told my son (13) about the upcoming recording session, my son said "hey dad, who does mister aiken pull for?"

i told him that i didn't know....but that i would ask him and that i would let him know later.

so, during a break in the session, i asked clay and he really had a great reply. he said, "i don't advertise who i pull for. I have many carolina, state and duke fans, so i don't make it public who i pull for. I grew up here, so naturally i know how competitive it is around here. I just keep quiet about it."

so, later i'm on the phone with my son and he's asking me, "hey dad, did you find out who he pulls for?"

i said, "son, mister aiken doesn't like to tell people who he pulls for."

he replied in a dejected voice.. ..."oh, a carolina fan "

we all cracked up...

weezie
04-25-2008, 07:09 AM
When Demarcus had to hurry off the phone, he said he had someone else there willing to talk to my sons - Quentin Thomas from unc. I asked my son if he wanted to speak to a player from unc who just played in the final four, and his reply? "Uh - no thanks."

Pretty smart kid you have there, Methodistguy! Let him take that poster to hang in his freshman dorm at Duke.

Classof06
04-25-2008, 10:57 AM

I agree. I'm not that familiar with how West has played since leaving Tech but there's always room for a defensive stopper on an NBA roster. Demarcus is more than capable of defending NBA PGs and 2-guards (depending on who the 2-guard is).

Nelson might not get drafted, but I'm confident he'll make a roster.

Edouble
04-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree. I'm not that familiar with how West has played since leaving Tech but there's always room for a defensive stopper on an NBA roster. Demarcus is more than capable of defending NBA PGs and 2-guards (depending on who the 2-guard is).

Nelson might not get drafted, but I'm confident he'll make a roster.

As an Atlanta guy, I can tell you that the Hawks traditionally work out every Tech and UGA senior before the draft, even if they're not good enough to work out with any other teams. Occassionally, the Hawks sign one of these players when they really shouldn't be in the league. I haven't really watched how West has played either, but just know that there is a very strong and unique tie between the Hawks and the two major conference state schools. I don't think you can look at Mario West's presence on the Hawk's roster as a sign that there is a place for DeMarcus in the league.

Saratoga2
04-25-2008, 01:23 PM
First-time poster here. I'm so happy to find fellow Duke fans!

I think if DeMarcus makes it in the NBA it will be at point guard with some limited time at the 2. SGs in the NBA will be bigger than he faced in college and will be able to shoot over him. I think he has the defensive chops to guard the 1 and his scoring would be less of an issue at the 1. My only question would be DeMarcus' ball-handling skills.

I went to high school with a kid named Anthony Johnson who DeMarcus reminds me a lot of (Big PG, long arms, strong, football player in HS). Ant has had a very long and successful career as a backup PG in the NBA.

Anthony's NBA profile (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/anthony_johnson/index.html)

DeMarcus was an excellent player for Duke, but his skills are definitely not those of an NBA point guard. He is also not a quality point guard at the college level. His ball handling, passing and decision making were not that strong. His defense was his strength and he did well in one on one situations going to the basket. So so free throw shooting and just an average shot with no mid range game make him less than likely to land on an NBA roster in my opinion.

Classof06
04-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't think you can look at Mario West's presence on the Hawk's roster as a sign that there is a place for DeMarcus in the league.

Oh, I'm not. I said I really have no idea what West has done since he left Tech, I didn't even know what team he was on. All I'm saying is that given Demarcus' defensive abilities and athleticism, I'm fairly confident he will find his way onto an NBA roster. He can be a guy that plays spot minutes and gives you a defensive presence on the perimeter.