PDA

View Full Version : Is this the next step in recruiting?

SoCalDukeFan
04-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Two one and done players go to the same school.
Link (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/collegesports/2008/04/ucla-and-lance-stephenson-rena.html)

I guess the idea is win a NC together, drop out of school, go to the NBA.
Of course it could be that they are just friends.

I don't like the current one year rule. And two one and done packaging together really bothers me.

SoCal

Icarus09
04-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree. At first I thought this rule would be good because it would encourage high schoolers to try college out. Now, it seems that some players are either too good or think themselves too good for college ball so there's no sense keeping them out of playing on the highest level.

Clipsfan
04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree. At first I thought this rule would be good because it would encourage high schoolers to try college out. Now, it seems that some players are either too good or think themselves too good for college ball so there's no sense keeping them out of playing on the highest level.

I don't think that they should be allowed to play at the highest level just because they think that they should. That's been a large part of the problem so far. However, seeing the one-and-dones plotting to attend the same school is a worrying sign for the future. At least it's UCLA in this case :)

BlueintheFace
04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I still say Baseball has it right--- Let kids leave for the NBA out of high school, but if they don't, then require that they go to school for three years (2 would be alright by me) before entering the draft.

gvtucker
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think that they should be allowed to play at the highest level just because they think that they should. That's been a large part of the problem so far.

Why is this a problem? Fact is, just because a kid thinks he can play at the highest level means nothing. Only when/if he can convince someone in the NBA that he can play at that level does it mean something. And in spite of what a lot of people on this board think, the scouts at the NBA do a pretty darn good job figuring out whether or not a kid could be an NBA player. If you look at the all star team in the NBA, a bunch of the players are either one-and-done or none-and-done.

However, seeing the one-and-dones plotting to attend the same school is a worrying sign for the future. At least it's UCLA in this case :)

I also fail to see why this is worrying. It isn't any different than, say, 5 kids all deciding to go to Michigan the same year to resurrect the program and call themselves the Fab Five. Michael Beasley and Bill Walker decide to go to Kansas State together. A bunch of kids in New York decide to go to the south and play for Frank McGuire. Different eras, same concept.

SupaDave
04-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Who says college basketball isn't big business!? I think schools should make the players sign contracts! LOL! Seriously, these kids have been thinking of getting paid since the first time they dunked in the 7th grade. It's hard to be mad at them. They are just doing what they are being forced to do (overseas is a bit much) and getting a little education and co-eds in the process. I'm sure it's good for them in a number of ways.

Just think - how many NBA rookies got in trouble this year? Hmmmm....

Bob Green
04-16-2008, 04:12 PM
If Sidney and Stephenson decide to attend the same college, I'm okay with the decision. Actually, it makes sense. Besides, how much complaining will happen on this board if Derrick Favors and Kenny Boynton both pick Duke? My prediction - very little.

BD80
04-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Two one and done players go to the same school.
Link (http://www.beloblog.com/Pe_Blogs/collegesports/2008/04/ucla-and-lance-stephenson-rena.html)

I guess the idea is win a NC together, drop out of school, go to the NBA.
Of course it could be that they are just friends.

I don't like the current one year rule. And two one and done packaging together really bothers me.

SoCal

Imagine what the "Fab Five" would have done if the precedent were there for them to go pro after a year? Webber and Rose would have been gone for sure, as it was, they left after 2 years which was considered very early. That was before the salary cap, so Webber didn't have to take a pay cut to come out. Howard was more serious of a student and may not have been as high a pick after one year. I can't remember if it was his family's new SUV that rolled while they were in school which drew interest in who paid for the vehicle.

Stackhouse and Wallace would be he next closest thing from the past - as much as I think Stackhouse is a rockhead, I don't think they would have left after a year. Who was the LSU pair that were so highly ranked? Randy Livingston and ____? If I recall, they would have benefited from an early departure as they both had significant knee injuries.

One-and-done talent is no guarantee of a title, I doubt we'll see anything as good as Oden (#1), Conley (#4) and Cook (#21), freshmen who were high NBA picks in a very good draft year, and they didn't win a NC. Neither did the Fab Five in two years.

It will be interesting to see how the UCLA faithful react once these kids leave after a year, particularly if it is revealed that the kids aren't passing second semester classes. Do they question Howland's tactics and graduation rate? I'd like to think that Duke fans would question it.

Carlos
04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
The Michigan SUV accident was Maurice Taylor.

The other LSU guard was Ronnie Henderson.

NashvilleDevil
04-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Imagine what the "Fab Five" would have done if the precedent were there for them to go pro after a year? Webber and Rose would have been gone for sure, as it was, they left after 2 years which was considered very early.

IIRC Rose and Howard stayed 3 years.

SoCalDukeFan
04-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Why is this a problem? Fact is, just because a kid thinks he can play at the highest level means nothing. Only when/if he can convince someone in the NBA that he can play at that level does it mean something. And in spite of what a lot of people on this board think, the scouts at the NBA do a pretty darn good job figuring out whether or not a kid could be an NBA player. If you look at the all star team in the NBA, a bunch of the players are either one-and-done or none-and-done.

I also fail to see why this is worrying. It isn't any different than, say, 5 kids all deciding to go to Michigan the same year to resurrect the program and call themselves the Fab Five. Michael Beasley and Bill Walker decide to go to Kansas State together. A bunch of kids in New York decide to go to the south and play for Frank McGuire. Different eras, same concept.

While I understand that in other eras every college basketball player was not say a Physics Major this current system allows a group of great high school players to go to some college, take some easy courses, maintain their eligibility and then bail for the NBA after the Final Four. And have their team called the National Collegiate Champions. That bothers me. At least in the other eras the kids had to figure out how to stay in school.

SoCal

gvtucker
04-17-2008, 09:24 AM
While I understand that in other eras every college basketball player was not say a Physics Major this current system allows a group of great high school players to go to some college, take some easy courses, maintain their eligibility and then bail for the NBA after the Final Four. And have their team called the National Collegiate Champions. That bothers me. At least in the other eras the kids had to figure out how to stay in school.

SoCal

In other eras, there were plenty of places where kids didn't have to do anything to stay in school. They didn't have to go to class or study or anything. Heck, there were kids that didn't even know how to read but somehow were able to stay eligible.

I agree that this might be bothersome, also. It isn't as if things have all of a sudden gotten worse, though. Heck, I think they've gotten a lot better. You've got to be a lot sneakier to pay off kids in college now. And you at least have to have an appearance of educating the kids these days.

Icarus09
04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I still say Baseball has it right--- Let kids leave for the NBA out of high school, but if they don't, then require that they go to school for three years (2 would be alright by me) before entering the draft.

I like this idea to some degree and I think that colleges would like this better because they would get more of a commitment from their recruits. There is a large drawback in that this would put more pressure on the already pressured top high school players to decide how prepared they are for the NBA. If kids make the decision to go to the NBA and then find it does not work out for them will be hard-pressed to be able to go back and get an education at the price (read: free ride) that they would have gotten if they had committed to a college.

gvtucker
04-17-2008, 10:52 AM

I'm on the fence with the baseball rule, I see some good and bad about it.

One thing that I'm sure of, though. If you're going to REQUIRE that a kid stay in college for 3 years if he enters college, then you also have to REQUIRE the college or university to guarantee a scholarship for three years.

And that's one thing I don't see happening.

greybeard
04-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I think that the NCAA needs to change the rules--if a high school kid wants to sign with an NBA team and play in college, let em. They should be obliged to play in college for a minimum of 2 years, perhaps 3--isn't the latter the length of a rookie contract? If they want to go straight to the pros, and the pros are interested on those terms, let them.

At the same time, I think that players who go to college under such terms should be made to put most all their money in trust funds or some such. Stern and the NCAA can work out the details.

Otherwise they should have two tournaments. The only one-and-done guy that I actually enjoyed watching in college was Mello. He was, is, such a winsome character, and so smooth and exhuberent in his game in a nice way if you know what I mean that I didn't mind that he was actually a pro.

How can anyone root for teams with Roses and Loves, etc, as good as they are. Nothing whatever to do with college ball, as we knew it. Sad--"Just the way life changes, like the shoreline and the seas." That's No Way To Say Goodbye Leonard Cohen

IStillHateJimBain
04-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Why not just have the recruits sign up for the number of years they want to play in college and leave it at that?
The guys that want to stay two years sign a two-year scholarship. If they want to stay three, they sign for three years. If they want to stay the whole time, they sign for four. Redshirt years and hardship years don't count.
At least that way the coaching staff knows how many players it will have to replace each year and can plan accordingly. I'm sure this puts too much onus on an 18-year-old kid's decision for his future, but that's where parents and high school teachers come in.

SoCalDukeFan
04-17-2008, 10:10 PM
In other eras, there were plenty of places where kids didn't have to do anything to stay in school. They didn't have to go to class or study or anything. Heck, there were kids that didn't even know how to read but somehow were able to stay eligible.

I agree that this might be bothersome, also. It isn't as if things have all of a sudden gotten worse, though. Heck, I think they've gotten a lot better. You've got to be a lot sneakier to pay off kids in college now. And you at least have to have an appearance of educating the kids these days.

In the "other eras" someone was cheating. I did not like that either.

Today if you can persuade say 3 or 4 GREAT high school players to come for one year, they take one semester worth of easy courses, you win the NC, they stop going to class, and your school now has a banner to display forever signifying the great accomplishment of the "student-athletes. And no one is cheating.

I do see your point that some stuff always went on.

SoCal

BD80
04-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Today if you can persuade say 3 or 4 GREAT high school players to come for one year, they take one semester worth of easy courses, you win the NC, they stop going to class, and your school now has a banner to display forever signifying the great accomplishment of the "student-athletes. And no one is cheating.

SoCal

And they don't even need to achieve more than a "C" average that one semester and the courses do not have to further their degree or major.

Ballroom dancing anyone?

Chard
04-18-2008, 09:59 AM
There is a large drawback in that this would put more pressure on the already pressured top high school players to decide how prepared they are for the NBA. If kids make the decision to go to the NBA and then find it does not work out for them will be hard-pressed to be able to go back and get an education at the price (read: free ride) that they would have gotten if they had committed to a college.

Cry me a river. If it doesn't "work out for them" they have a nice salary to use towards paying for a good, no, great education.

oldnavy
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
If kids make the decision to go to the NBA and then find it does not work out for them will be hard-pressed to be able to go back and get an education at the price (read: free ride) that they would have gotten if they had committed to a college.

You are kidding right? Life is about choices and living with the conscequences of those choices. Why would anyone even give it a second thought if someone switched careers at the ripe old age of say 20? I'd bet that most of the kids that go to the NBA out of high school or one year of college don't ever go back to school regardless of their sucess or lack thereof in the NBA. Anyone have a stat on that?

One and done or none and done, doesn't matter really as far as the impact on the individuals, but I do think that it hurts both the college game and the NBA.

oldnavy
04-18-2008, 05:17 PM
If kids make the decision to go to the NBA and then find it does not work out for them will be hard-pressed to be able to go back and get an education at the price (read: free ride) that they would have gotten if they had committed to a college.

You are kidding right? Life is about choices and living with the conscequences of those choices. Why would anyone even give it a second thought if someone switched careers at the ripe old age of say 20? I'd bet that most of the kids that go to the NBA out of high school or one year of college don't ever go back to school regardless of their success or lack thereof in the NBA. Anyone have a stat on that?

One and done or none and done, doesn't matter really as far as the impact on the individuals, but I do think that it hurts both the college game and the NBA.