PDA

View Full Version : Coach Cut Called!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-15-2008, 12:13 PM
He invited me to the spring game and pre-game festivities on Saturday. It all starts at 10:30 a.m. with the game at 1:00 p.m. The DUMB will be playing!

See y'all there!

weezie
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, look at you!

Me, too. I'll be there!

Hey Oz, should we plan on working out a special "Perfect Cheer" for the team?!

Mike Corey
04-15-2008, 01:18 PM
He invited me to the spring game and pre-game festivities on Saturday. It all starts at 10:30 a.m. with the game at 1:00 p.m. The DUMB will be playing!

See y'all there!

If this isn't an indication that you're the front-runner to replace Alleva, I don't know what would be.

Highlander
04-15-2008, 05:59 PM
I got this email the other day as well. Thinking about going since it is local. Cutcliffe is apparently speaking to anyone who is interested in Charlotte, NC as part of the "Duke Athletics Tour." The email I got is below; assuming no copyright issues to reprint it.

The full schedule of the tour is as follows:
May 1 - Charlotte, NC
May 6 - Atlanta, GA
May 8 - Greensboro, NC
May 20 - Wilson, NC
May 21 - Wilmington, NC
May 22 - Knoxville, TN
TBD - Durham, NC
TBD - Raleigh, NC

Duke Athletics Tour - Thursday, May 1 CHARLOTTE
Click Here if you cannot see the article. (http://www.irondukes.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5100&ATCLID=1437129)

The Duke Athletics Tour is a new initiative presented by the Iron Dukes to introduce our coaches to Blue Devil fans. The tour will give you an opportunity to hear Head Coach David Cutcliffe talk about Duke Football and the upcoming season. The Duke Athletics Tour is open to all Duke alumni, donors, and Blue Devil fans. The first stop on the Duke Athletics Tour will be in Charlotte, NC on Thursday, May 1. We hope to see you there!

CLICK HERE - To Download the Registration Form. (https://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/5534.pdf)

Thursday, May 1
Myers Park United Methodist
1501 Queens Road
Charlotte, NC 28207
Map of Location (http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-PK1p6xqGqfEUyaSQ)

$15 for Adults
$10 for Children (10 and under)

Doors Open 6:00 pm
Dinner 6:30 pm
RSVP by Monday, April 28

RSVP by faxing the registration form to (919) 681-8612, mailing it to the Iron Duke Office (116 Cameron Indoor Stadium, Box 90542, Durham NC 27708), or by calling Samantha Kozub at (919) 613-7554.

Click Here (http://www.irondukes.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5100&ATCLID=1437676) - To See Full Schedule of Duke Athletics Tour.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-15-2008, 06:38 PM
If this isn't an indication that you're the front-runner to replace Alleva, I don't know what would be.

I was going to say something like it looks like Cut knows who his new boss was going to be, but I didn't. But I was thinking about it!

Mike, thanks for your support!

Troublemaker
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
More Coach Cut communication, this time to a recruit: http://www.qbforce.com/tate/offers/Offers.htm

One of the top high school QBs in the country is posting his offer letters online. If you have some time to waste, it's kinda interesting to read through them. Stanford's offer is hyperbolic in the second paragraph and Okie State's is written in all caps, for example.

msdukie
04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Note the ACC logo at the bottom of the Duke Football letterhead....

DueBlevil
04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I like the Duke letter. No demand to call the department as soon as you open the letter like some of the others. No real mention of the academic strength of the university (though there is a shout-out to the SAT and ACT in the last sentence...) but I think that after reading the Stanford letter, that omission was a good thing. If it's a good academic school, chances are, the athletes know it. I agree with the above poster about hyperbole in the Stanford letter, and in fact, it almost borders on tasteless: "As both the top academic institution in the world, and the home of the top collegiate athletic program in the world, Stanford represents the greatest combination of academic and athletic excellence in existence." Um ok, yeah Stanford is a great combination, but the way it's stated is kind of tacky...

RWD
04-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Didn't OK State also misspell "aid"?

RWD

Bluedawg
04-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I like the Duke letter. No demand to call the department as soon as you open the letter like some of the others. No real mention of the academic strength of the university (though there is a shout-out to the SAT and ACT in the last sentence...) but I think that after reading the Stanford letter, that omission was a good thing. If it's a good academic school, chances are, the athletes know it. I agree with the above poster about hyperbole in the Stanford letter, and in fact, it almost borders on tasteless: "As both the top academic institution in the world, and the home of the top collegiate athletic program in the world, Stanford represents the greatest combination of academic and athletic excellence in existence." Um ok, yeah Stanford is a great combination, but the way it's stated is kind of tacky...

I agree...

I read a few of them and one thing that stood out to me about Coach Cut's was how he began and ended the letter praising the individual. That says a lot about his interpersonal relationships and how he handles and relates to people.

Delaware
04-18-2008, 10:12 AM
He was inspiring, upbeat, funny, tough, enthusiastic, etc. It was a great interview. I'm paraphrasing, but...

He talked about the issue with Duke in the last few years was they were "trying to win a game or two" vs. trying to "build a program" and then "knowing that the wins will come". He sounded as if the guys would be in awesome shape or they would not make it and play. He spoke highly of Coach K being supportive. He talked about how the Duke brand (Academic and basketball) could only help him. He talked about this being his potentially most rewarding career move.

I wanted to run through a wall for the guy when he was done talking....

OldPhiKap
04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
He was inspiring, upbeat, funny, tough, enthusiastic, etc. It was a great interview. I'm paraphrasing, but...

He talked about the issue with Duke in the last few years was they were "trying to win a game or two" vs. trying to "build a program" and then "knowing that the wins will come". He sounded as if the guys would be in awesome shape or they would not make it and play. He spoke highly of Coach K being supportive. He talked about how the Duke brand (Academic and basketball) could only help him. He talked about this being his potentially most rewarding career move.

Everything I have heard from Coach Cut and about Coach Cut convinces me that he is the perfect guy for the job. Big on loyalty, and his assistants clearly reciprocate. No talk of "'let's win a few" but rather "let's build a consistent winner." No excuses, and he turns what other perceive as hurdles (academic requirements, etc.) into positives. Sounds like another coach we already have . . . .

Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, give 'em hell, DUKE!!!

pratt '04
04-18-2008, 11:33 AM

You can listen to the interview at 850 the blog. (http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4370)

And The Chronicle (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/04/18/Football/2008-Spring.Game-3335261.shtml) has a nice article today about tomorrow's spring game. The "Devil Walk" sounds like it could be a cool new tradition.

killerleft
04-18-2008, 11:40 AM
At goduke.com Coach Cut says:

“There’s only 11 out there at one time, and we’re going to put 11 out there who are ready to play football. I like that we’re able to do that. We can compete in this league.”

Don't forget, spring game plus a barbeque plate tomorrow!

Acymetric
04-18-2008, 12:29 PM
At goduke.com Coach Cut says:

“There’s only 11 out there at one time, and we’re going to put 11 out there who are ready to play football. I like that we’re able to do that. We can compete in this league.”

Don't forget, spring game plus a barbeque plate tomorrow!

You know what would have been awesome? If they had set it up like the untelevised preseason games and had the student channel carry it, making it available online on goduke.com. I would love to see it...can't wait for a recap!

Bluedog
04-18-2008, 12:43 PM
More Coach Cut communication, this time to a recruit: http://www.qbforce.com/tate/offers/Offers.htm

One of the top high school QBs in the country is posting his offer letters online. If you have some time to waste, it's kinda interesting to read through them. Stanford's offer is hyperbolic in the second paragraph and Okie State's is written in all caps, for example.

Is there a reason Duke's letter is addressed to Robert Forcier, when all the other letters are to Tate Forcier? Is his real name Robert or something? On his website, it says his name is Tate. Hopefully, that wasn't a mistake on Duke's part. Other than that, I liked the Duke letter a lot.

Edit: Just looked at the Kansas letter where it is addressed to Robert "Tate" Forcier. So, yes, his real name clearly is Robert. I like the formality is Duke's letter actually. Duke was the ONLY school of all 21 to use Robert instead of Tate. Although Wisconsin didn't address it to Tate either. They addressed it his coach, Coach Miller.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-18-2008, 02:13 PM
You know what would have been awesome? If they had set it up like the untelevised preseason games and had the student channel carry it, making it available online on goduke.com. I would love to see it...can't wait for a recap!
If you know somebody at the student channel, it wouldn't hurt to make a call to request it this year.

If tomorrow's scrimmage goes as well as it sounds like it can, maybe the student channel will pick up next year's spring scrimmage.

peloton
04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Crap! I won't be able to make it because of my son's soccer game; I was planning on going to this. Suffice it to say that (like many Duke fans now) I'm more psyched for the upcoming football season than I've been in a very long time. I plan on going to all the home games that I'm able to, probably bringing along the young lad (maybe with a buddy or two of his.) To everyone going, enjoy the game and grub.

Yeah, if someone could post their observations and thoughts on what transpires tomorrow that would be great - gracias.

P.S. - wow...my very first DBR post; 'bout time I'd say after lurking here and enjoying the forum for a few years. It goes without saying that this is a great forum for Duke fans and I truly appreciate and enjoy the efforts by everyone who makes it possible - keep up the great work.

cbfx3
04-18-2008, 09:17 PM
We'll be there tomorrow.. taking the kids to the jr devils activities

OZZIE4DUKE
04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
If you listened to Coach Cut's interview segment on 850thebuzz, he said he wants fans to wear either blue or white and to root for that team. He wants you to choose sides and root passionately! Don't "root for Duke", root for one team and against the other, not for both teams to do well just because they are Duke. Interesting philosophy for an inter-squad scrimmage.

I'll wear one of my Duke Blue game shirts that I wear to all home football and basketball games.
Go Blue! Beat White!

cbfx3
04-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Fantastic time for the kids today.. Got to meet several mens bball players .. ran into Abby Waner (my daughters are HUGE fans of hers) Even got to talk to Chris Carrawell! Kids were given some great goodies including this years Basketball yearbooks for men and women. As for the football game I must say I saw some sharp football.. no real bonehead mistakes (except for maybe the fumble on the punt) QB's looked sharp as well as the receivers. My cousin has a buddy who is on the staff (and has been for a few years) ... he called after the game and was raving about how pumped the players are and talking about how the atmosphere and the whole program is on another planet compared to years past. He has seen at least the past 4 years from the inside and he says Coach C has brought something special to Duke.. Everything is different from the way things are done to the attitudes.

9 wins I tell you...

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Vince Oghobaase's parents were seated across the aisle from us. I went over to talk with them and thank them for sending their son to Duke.

It was a great day for football! I think we're got a lot to look forward to come August 30.

norduck
04-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Fantastic time for the kids today.. Got to meet several mens bball players .. ran into Abby Waner (my daughters are HUGE fans of hers) Even got to talk to Chris Carrawell! Kids were given some great goodies including this years Basketball yearbooks for men and women. As for the football game I must say I saw some sharp football.. no real bonehead mistakes (except for maybe the fumble on the punt) QB's looked sharp as well as the receivers. My cousin has a buddy who is on the staff (and has been for a few years) ... he called after the game and was raving about how pumped the players are and talking about how the atmosphere and the whole program is on another planet compared to years past. He has seen at least the past 4 years from the inside and he says Coach C has brought something special to Duke.. Everything is different from the way things are done to the attitudes.

9 wins I tell you...

Nice post scrimmage interview with Coach Cut.

http://www.wral.com/sports/video/2761765/

weezie
04-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I shook Cut's hand (along with several of his assistants') as the team walked form the chapel to Wally Wade. The team looked genuinely pleased with the turn out along the way and smiled and waved at passersby.
They look kind of small but in great shape, very enthusiastic. Nice to feel some buzz about the program.

wilson
04-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Didn't OK State also misspell "aid"?

RWD

They sure did...wow. That's beyond pathetic.
Didn't T. Boone ever pony up for spell check?

LetItBD08
04-20-2008, 02:42 PM
They sure did...wow. That's beyond pathetic.
Didn't T. Boone ever pony up for spell check?

"The coaching staff and I feel that you are an excellent fit for our university, and are very excited about you becoming a Cowboy."
Inappropriate comma? I'll readily admit that I'm not the greatest when it comes to grammar, but I think they need to invest in a grammar check as well.

On another note...I believe we used an old ACC logo at the bottom of our letter. Hopefully that's the only time Duke will slip up regarding 'attention to detail' in the Coach Cut era.

Indoor66
04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
"The coaching staff and I feel that you are an excellent fit for our university, and are very excited about you becoming a Cowboy."
Inappropriate comma? I'll readily admit that I'm not the greatest when it comes to grammar, but I think they need to invest in a grammar check as well.

On another note...I believe we used an old ACC logo at the bottom of our letter. Hopefully that's the only time Duke will slip up regarding 'attention to detail' in the Coach Cut era.

That is a comma splice and would have earned an F for the paper in my freshman English class.

DueBlevil
04-20-2008, 05:36 PM
That is a comma splice and would have earned an F for the paper in my freshman English class.

Actually a comma splice connects two independent clauses without a conjunction. One comma splice would have given you an F for the whole paper? That's harsh!
And "aide" is a real word, so the spellchecker probably wouldn't have caught it. Still no excuse though, I suppose

Bluedawg
04-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Fantastic time for the kids today.. Got to meet several mens bball players .. ran into Abby Waner (my daughters are HUGE fans of hers) ...

How in the world did I miss Abby. i was all over that stadium, i saw the men players, but didn't see her. Bummer!

Bluedawg
04-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Nice post scrimmage interview with Coach Cut.

http://www.wral.com/sports/video/2761765/

he is more than impressive.

"They can make plays with their arms, their feet, their minds. They are smart guys."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1043536.html

the joys of high academic standards.

this makes me ready for some FOOTBALL!!!

OldPhiKap
04-20-2008, 08:48 PM
What a great video!

Cut is the man.

cbfx3
04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
How in the world did I miss Abby. i was all over that stadium, i saw the men players, but didn't see her. Bummer!

She was heading into Cameron to check out some of the aau games... I missed her too and was bummed but my slow walking wife and kids got to meet her. Wife said she took time to talk to my girls both of whom are big fans.

Bluedawg
04-20-2008, 11:24 PM
She was heading into Cameron to check out some of the aau games... I missed her too and was bummed but my slow walking wife and kids got to meet her. Wife said she took time to talk to my girls both of whom are big fans.

I'm not surprised. Abby is a wonderful person with a huge heart. I'm glad your girls got to meet her.

sagegrouse
04-21-2008, 10:23 AM

This is a one-clause sentence and does not require any punctuation. Usually, there are no penalties these days for an extra comma or two, in that commas are often today "by feel" rather than by rule.

Howsomever, "A COMMA SPLICE" is a felony offense. It refers to the use of a mere comma to link two independent clauses -- i.e., instead of using a semi-colon.

sagegrouse