PDA

View Full Version : LA gets the best drugs

BD80
04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Love is reportedly (again) going pro.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8033894/Report:-Love-meets-with-family,-will-go-pro

Coach Howland must have a great connection:

Coach Ben Howland reportedly told Love that NBA scouts had him projected as a sure lottery pick, with some suggesting he could go as high as fourth overall.

'Nuff said.

gw67
04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't follow the pros very closely and have no idea whether a player is 24-second worthy. On the other hand, I watch a few NBA games a year and am amazed at some of the players who have made nice careers in the 24-second league. Love has some skills and was one of the top players in college ball this year. I wouldn't write him off and I suspect that Howland was truthful with him. Now, I'm not sure that you can trust the NBA scouts to be forthright but it is not in their best interest to tick off Howland by lying to him about one of his best players.

gw67

BD80
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Now, I'm not sure that you can trust the NBA scouts to be forthright but it is not in their best interest to tick off Howland by lying to him about one of his best players.

gw67

Of course, it could have been Atlanta's scout that thought Love was a top 4 pick :)

moonpie23
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
what , if anything, does love have over tyler hans?

show your work.

Hot Route
04-14-2008, 02:13 PM

show your work.

The ability to hit the college three....and he actually ATTEMPTS to play defense.

Channing
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM

show your work.

Love is a far superior passer, and I think he is 2 inches or so taller than Hans.

jma4life
04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Also, Love is a freshmen which is huge to the scouts and he already probably has a more polished game. He's probably not as good of an athlete however but his size definitely helps him create some space and separation.

sagegrouse
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM

show your work.

Size: Love can play either the 4 or 5; Hansbrough only the 4, unless -- as some have suggested -- he turns out to be the second coming of Dave Cowens.

Shot: Love seems to have a good mid-range shot. Most of Hansbrough's scores are on that 3-5 foot shot put, which is unorthodox to say the least.

Defense: Can't say Love is the second coming of Bill Russell, but I thought this was a weakness for Psycho-T.

To Hans's credit, I think his intensity will be a big deal in the NBA, as well as his apparent ability to run all day. Love could turn out to be a head case. Most people will think just the opposite -- but I don't see Hans ever getting discouraged. Love is just a freshman, so you don't know.

I will root for Hansbrough to succeed at the next level; I just hope I get to do it next year--

sagegrouse

Shammrog
04-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Of course, it could have been Atlanta's scout that thought Love was a top 4 pick :)

Wrong. Atlanta's scout probably thinks Hansbrough is a top 4 pick.

Carlos
04-14-2008, 02:49 PM

show your work.

I think the better question would be what Hansbrough has over Love. Other than having that remarkable motor that makes him play hard on every play I can't think of any facet of the game where Hansbrough is better.

TNDukeFan
04-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Moonpie, have you seen what Love does with the outlet pass and inbounds pass? Wow! He has that over everybody, not just TH.

pratt '04
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM

show your work.

This (http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=232&mode=print) is an interesting article from basketballprospectus.com detailing why the author thinks that Love is better than Hansbrough. I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but it's an interesting article.

CameronBlue
04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I think the better question would be what Hansbrough has over Love. Other than having that remarkable motor that makes him play hard on every play I can't think of any facet of the game where Hansbrough is better.

Hans is better at flopp...uh taking charges, Hans down no contest.

SilkyJ
04-14-2008, 05:05 PM

show your work.

All of the above and a guaranteed lottery pick. heyoo.

Hans is better at flopp...uh taking charges, Hans down no contest.

which brings us to the next point: what would Hans' Delta House Pledge Name be?

crote
04-14-2008, 05:28 PM

show your work.

As a freshman, Love is already as good as Tyler Hansbrough at scoring and rebounding and is a superior outlet passer as well. Tyler has shown only marginal improvement throughout his career (not necessarily a slight, as he was absolutely great as a freshman), so his ceiling is already established. We don't know how much better Love is going to be.

I don't know if either are destined to NBA stardom, but both should be, at the very least, steady rotation guys.

Franzez
04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah also Love can block shots unlike Tyler.

Clipsfan
04-14-2008, 08:40 PM
It's been generally mentioned, but Love has vastly superior passing skills. It's not only the outlet pass (which he does better than anyone else in the college game) but also passes in the half-court offense. He's also got some of the softest/strongest hands I've seen. He gets around the ball he owns it; it doesn't matter if it's a bad pass or a rebound, once it's around him he tends to end up with it.

gotham devil
04-15-2008, 12:36 AM
All of the above and a guaranteed lottery pick. heyoo.

which brings us to the next point: what would Hans' Delta House Pledge Name be?

Four choices:
1) Ozark
2) Blinky
3) Deliverance
4) Beaker

dukemomLA
04-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Being in L.A., I've had the chance to see K. Love many times. YES, he has some amazing skills. Yes, he's a pretty good passer. However, IMHO, he's somewhat of a thug, not a team player, and....then there's the issue of the presence of his d-a-d. Hmmmm. I expect him to implode at the next level, but...then again, the NBA bores me, except for rooting for the Clips (sigh), and rooting for all Dukies to excel -- on and off the court. (Bah humbug, Chris Duhon -- I thought your Mama and Coach K had taught you better).

I am not excited about the potential of K. Love at the next level. Perhaps I will be proven wrong.

Uncle Drew
04-15-2008, 08:50 AM
For the record the title of this thread (though appropriate when you know the subject matter) had me perplexed on how I was going to TOTALLY disagree with you, and be able to use facts to back up my opinion. Thank God it's just about Kevin Love.

BD80
04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
For the record the title of this thread (though appropriate when you know the subject matter) had me perplexed on how I was going to TOTALLY disagree with you, and be able to use facts to back up my opinion. Thank God it's just about Kevin Love.

Ahh, reminds me of some of my favorite cultural debates at Duke in the 70s: East Coast v West Coast, DC v Florida, U.S. v South America, and U.S. v Middle East.

It now sounds like there are TWO NBA GMs that may be qualified to weigh in on the debate:

According to two NBA general managers, Love is projected as a lottery pick and could go as high as fourth overall.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/8034810/Love-on-NBA:-'I-haven't-decided-yet'

Clipsfan
04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Being in L.A., I've had the chance to see K. Love many times. YES, he has some amazing skills. Yes, he's a pretty good passer. However, IMHO, he's somewhat of a thug, not a team player, and....then there's the issue of the presence of his d-a-d. Hmmmm. I expect him to implode at the next level, but...then again, the NBA bores me, except for rooting for the Clips (sigh), and rooting for all Dukies to excel -- on and off the court. (Bah humbug, Chris Duhon -- I thought your Mama and Coach K had taught you better).

I am not excited about the potential of K. Love at the next level. Perhaps I will be proven wrong.

What makes you think that he's a thug? I have issues with the fact that at times he seems to be self-involved, but I never thought that he was a thug.