PDA

View Full Version : Spring Game - Football

Acymetric
04-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Did anyone go to the spring game? I would've been there if I wasn't in Ohio. The big question I have is what happened at quarterback? Who was on first team/second team, who played more, and who looked good? I've been wondering who would win out between Zach and Thad ever since we made the hire. Of course its always possible Renfree comes in and takes over as a freshman, but personally I feel like he won't. Personally I'd like to see him redshirt, if they don't think they need him freshman year. Give him a chance to improve for a year, and plus there'd be another year to put more talent around him (especially the line, I'm completely satisfied with our receivers).

Bob Green
04-13-2008, 02:54 AM
Did anyone go to the spring game?

The Spring Game (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1438445) is Saturday April 19th.

ne1btunc
04-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Did anyone go to the spring game? I would've been there if I wasn't in Ohio. The big question I have is what happened at quarterback? Who was on first team/second team, who played more, and who looked good? I've been wondering who would win out between Zach and Thad ever since we made the hire. Of course its always possible Renfree comes in and takes over as a freshman, but personally I feel like he won't. Personally I'd like to see him redshirt, if they don't think they need him freshman year. Give him a chance to improve for a year, and plus there'd be another year to put more talent around him (especially the line, I'm completely satisfied with our receivers).

thad is the starter hands down.zack struggled big time yesterday and cut was on him a good bit. im with you, i hope sr redshirts also....the OL will surprise alot of folks this year. i would expect our rushing stats to be much better this year(although they cant get any worse)

godukecom
04-13-2008, 08:14 AM
i would expect our rushing stats to be much better this year(although they cant get any worse)

As a wally-wade season ticket holder, I would like to know if there are any stats that can get worse;)

I am excited for the upcoming season, but am also realistic about the expectations. 4-8 or maybe 5-7 would be great, but I think this team will go 3-9

Olympic Fan
04-13-2008, 11:09 AM
The Spring Game (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1438445) is Saturday April 19th.

Yeah, just wanted to back up Bob's point. Last Saturday's outing was merely a scrimmage, not the spring game.

It's probably too early to see much. Cutcliffle said Saturday he's barely started putting in his offensive system .... he's more interested in evaluating personnel.

Maybe somebody who knows more football than me could watch a spring scrimmage and see something significant ... about the most important things that jumped out at me was Cutcliffe's weight-reduction plan -- as a team, Duke is MUCH slimmer than last year. It shows up most on the offensive and defensive lines.

It will be interesting to see what kind of crowd Duke gets for Coach Cut's first spring game. I know the culture here is such that 1,500 is a good turnout ... but I would hope a few more fans might turn out to show some support.

Festus13
04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Looking at the problems the football team will face, I believe that the lack of top quality depth will be a major issue. As one who works out to keep in shape, I know for a fact that the Southern temps and humidity will work against teams who lack the depth of other teams. Playing those early games at night would certainly help keep up the stamina and allow the 1st team to stay on the field more. Anyone have any thought on that?

Sixthman
04-13-2008, 11:31 AM
The spring game will be way too early to learn much about Coach Cutcliff's first team. The two things I will be looking at are the size of the crowd and whether the defense hasn't gotten over its nearly fifteen year problem with an inclination to attempt to arm tackle ball carriers in nearly every situation.

DukeDude
04-13-2008, 12:37 PM
The spring game will be way too early to learn much about Coach Cutcliff's first team. The two things I will be looking at are the size of the crowd and whether the defense hasn't gotten over its nearly fifteen year problem with an inclination to attempt to arm tackle ball carriers in nearly every situation.

I plan to be there (if i don't have to go to work) and buy a T-shirt that says "Duke football". I want to jump on this bandwagon early.

Acymetric
04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
My mistake on calling it the spring game instead of the spring scrimmage, misread the article. Of course, I also knew it was on the 19th, so you'd think I would've noticed something. My only excuse is that it was 2:30 when I made this topic...

Thanks for some of the info though, can't wait for football!

(When was the last time anyone said that here? Actually I said it last year, but my high hopes were quickly dashed.)

langthechamp
04-13-2008, 03:21 PM
DBR calls it the Spring Game in the Cutcliffe article preview on the front page. Please change it.

DevilWolf
04-13-2008, 04:07 PM
I noticed two things about tackling in the first scrimmage (a few weeks ago).

Arm tackling has been replaced by ...

1) Attempting to kill the ball carrier with a huge highlight reel hit (the defense seems a LOT faster than last year)

2) Attempting to stand up the ball carrier and gang tackle so help can come in and strip the ball out.

This, in my opinion, will be the biggest change in our team this year is the ability to tackle.

Acymetric
04-13-2008, 04:26 PM

1) Attempting to kill the ball carrier with a huge highlight reel hit (the defense seems a LOT faster than last year)

2) Attempting to stand up the ball carrier and gang tackle so help can come in and strip the ball out.

This, in my opinion, will be the biggest change in our team this year is the ability to tackle.

Well since that was the most frustrating thing to me last year (yes, even more than questionable playcalling and the inability to run more than 2 yards at any given time). They looked like they were worried they were gonna hurt their best friend every time they took someone down. I'd love to see some good hard tackles this year! Granted I don't know how many I'll see...

I'm sure its too far in advance, but does Duke have any potential tv slots next year? This year it was Notre Dame, and I believe the Navy game was televised too, on cstv. Oh, and so was FSU, on ESPNU. Anybody know if they'll put anything on tv this year?

Bluedawg
04-13-2008, 06:20 PM
As a wally-wade season ticket holder, I would like to know if there are any stats that can get worse;)

I am excited for the upcoming season, but am also realistic about the expectations. 4-8 or maybe 5-7 would be great, but I think this team will go 3-9

I may be overly optimistic but I saw some potential in last years team.

Therefore, my wins next year:

Northwestern
Navy
James Madison
North Carolina
@ Wake Forest
North Carolina State

Jarhead
04-13-2008, 08:17 PM
You may be right. The first four games are all at home against James Madison, Northwestern, Navy, and Virginia. We do have a legitimate chance against the first three. The resulting momentum could also give us a chance against the fourth. I am going to every one of those games, and more. I expect them to win every time I walk into the stadium. Now, I think there is a much better chance. A .500 season is not out of the question. Wish me luck, and good fortune for Coach Cutcliffe and the team.

DWP
04-13-2008, 08:23 PM

That is good news! For many seasons, since 1994 actually, I have been amazed at the lack of turnovers our defense has caused. The turnovers often have simply been errors by the offense, rather than good defense and have been few and far between. If the defense becomes more aggressive, as it was in 1994, it can make a huge difference. I think our defense has been much too passive in recent years.

Bluedawg
04-13-2008, 08:30 PM
That is good news! For many seasons, since 1994 actually, I have been amazed at the lack of turnovers our defense has caused. The turnovers often have simply been errors by the offense, rather than good defense and have been few and far between. If the defense becomes more aggressive, as it was in 1994, it can make a huge difference. I think our defense has been much too passive in recent years.

Except for the outstanding play of John Talley

http://www.wcnc.com/images/100805dukemiamif.jpg

crote
04-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Except for the outstanding play of John Talley

http://www.wcnc.com/images/100805dukemiamif.jpg

Thanks for reminding me of him. Obviously one player does not a good defense make, but John Talley was most definitely the man. If someone as ignorant as me is noticing your play, chances are you're a great, great DB.

devilish
04-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Well since that was the most frustrating thing to me last year (yes, even more than questionable playcalling and the inability to run more than 2 yards at any given time). They looked like they were worried they were gonna hurt their best friend every time they took someone down. I'd love to see some good hard tackles this year! Granted I don't know how many I'll see...

I'm sure its too far in advance, but does Duke have any potential tv slots next year? This year it was Notre Dame, and I believe the Navy game was televised too, on cstv. Oh, and so was FSU, on ESPNU. Anybody know if they'll put anything on tv this year?

TV for college football is quite different than for basketball and other sports. Most games are scheduled a week or so in advance when the major networks (ABC) decides which games would be the best to show. Then ESPN gets next pick, then ESPN2 and so on down the line to Raycom. If we get televised, it is usually because the only game left for Raycom to pick up is a Duke game. In other words, the better you are, the more likely you are to move up the chain as the season progresses.