PDA

View Full Version : Men's Basketball Banquet

godukerocks
04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm making my trip up to Duke next week for their 'Jr. Blue Devil Day', which is always enjoyable, but this year I've also got tickets for the men's basketball banquet. Are any of you guys going, and what is the banquet like?

weezie
04-13-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm making my trip up to Duke next week for their 'Jr. Blue Devil Day', which is always enjoyable, but this year I've also got tickets for the men's basketball banquet. Are any of you guys going, and what is the banquet like?

I am. It's usually a nice evening, sports coat and tie affair. Team is introduced, K speaks, team awards handed out. Videos of departing seniors. Always fun to sit on the floor of Cameron. Tables are assigned seating by level and history of giving.
PM me and I'll look for you. I'm delighted that the spring football game is the next day, should be fun.

geraldsneighbor
04-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Is TK going to be in attendence?

godukerocks
04-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I am. It's usually a nice evening, sports coat and tie affair. Team is introduced, K speaks, team awards handed out. Videos of departing seniors. Always fun to sit on the floor of Cameron. Tables are assigned seating by level and history of giving.
PM me and I'll look for you. I'm delighted that the spring football game is the next day, should be fun.

I think my dad told me that we're sitting upstairs seeing as we're not Iron Dukes yet; that's the case correct?

Would you recommend a tie or a Duke polo for this?

I'll make sure to send you a PM soon. I can't wait for next weekend.

MRJCAUDLE
04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm also making my first before dinner and banquet and I know it is a formal event ,But was wondering what else to expect. Any help? (what can you bring camera / autographs / etc?) thanks

VaDukie
04-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm also making my first before dinner and banquet and I know it is a formal event ,But was wondering what else to expect. Any help? (what can you bring camera / autographs / etc?) thanks

I think the rule of thumb is not to ask players for autographs or photos. The night is dedicated to all the players and their families (specifically the seniors) so they generally ask that their privacy is respected.

DukeUsul
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
I recall attending several years ago and sitting in the upper deck. I believe folks attending and sitting upstairs tended to be more casual in their dress, i.e., no ties.

weezie
04-14-2008, 05:27 PM
I think the rule of thumb is not to ask players for autographs or photos. The night is dedicated to all the players and their families (specifically the seniors) so they generally ask that their privacy is respected.

Exactly correct.

Indoor66
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Anybody remember the banquets sponsored by the Durham Blue Devil Club and held at the old Armory/Civic Center on Foster Street in downtown Durham?

-jk
04-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Anybody remember the banquets sponsored by the Durham Blue Devil Club and held at the old Armory/Civic Center on Foster Street in downtown Durham?

And once upon a time at the Searle Center, too.

-jk

devil84
04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Ahhh, the Searle Center banquets. Many fond memories there...

Cameron
04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
So it would probably be best not to bring my laundry bag of freshly pumped autograph-able basketballs then?

;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Do you remember hearing Abe Lemons speak at one of the banquets back in the late 70's or early 80's? I'm still using one of his jokes!

dukediv2013
04-15-2008, 09:04 AM

In 1999, I was a 12 year old kid and went to the Duke Basketball Banquet and got Elton Brand's autograph! I guess I shouldn't have done it... but oh well!

Battierfan01
04-15-2008, 12:04 PM
If you are sitting upstairs be sure to go down on the floor after the banquet. The players will be down there and some of them will sign autographs and take pictues (even though they do ask that you don't ask them for autographs). A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to get a picture with Coach K who was out there taking pictures with everyone. Even if you don't get any autographs or pictures you still get to walk around on the floor of Cameron!

Indoor66
04-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Do you remember hearing Abe Lemons speak at one of the banquets back in the late 70's or early 80's? I'm still using one of his jokes!

I do recall Lemons speaking. My best date would be about '76 or '77 during Foster's time. Of course, Bill could be quite funny on his own.

Kewlswim
04-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Hello,

I was not able to attend. I would really like to read about what happened. I hope some of you will post to let us know about the event.

Thanks!

GO DUKE!

NovaScotian
04-19-2008, 05:52 PM
is it just my imagination, or did duke used to give out a 'most charges taken' award at the banquet each year? i think i remember shavlik winning it at least once.

Raleighfan
04-19-2008, 06:51 PM
is it just my imagination, or did duke used to give out a 'most charges taken' award at the banquet each year? i think i remember shavlik winning it at least once.

you're right...Most Charges Taken was an award. I recall that Danny Ferry received it at least one year, recall some comment made at the time (can't remember who said it) that Danny had the widest posterior of anybody on the team and that Quin Snyder, his roommate, could/would attest to that!

godukerocks
04-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Hello,

I was not able to attend. I would really like to read about what happened. I hope some of you will post to let us know about the event.

Thanks!

GO DUKE!

If I remember the order of events correctly, after dinner ended there was the awards presentation, DeMarcus' speech, some really great videos of him and the team, and then Coach K had a great talk.

Does Coach give an awesome speech like that every year?

Raleighfan
04-19-2008, 07:04 PM
I've been to the banquet most years since 1990 and yes, he usually does come up with a great speech. And sometimes, his best speeches have been years when the team didn't go as far as expected/when there was an element of disappointment. I remember one year the banquet fell on Debbie K's birthday and he gave a really nice speech about her and how important his family is to him---didn't have much to do with basketball but gave good insight into what kind of person K is. One thing that made last night's speech memorable was that he took away the podium so it was as if he was speaking one-on-one and not to a crowd.

weezie
04-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Well I, for one, was flabbergasted at K's speech last night. He called out all those who were doubting his passion for coaching at Duke, anyone who questioned his assistants as not being talented enough, and any other misinformed souls who think his Olympic commitment is harming the Duke program. He asked that this team be given the chance to become a great Duke team, to be allowed to mature and become Duke men of honor and pride. To give them their time on the stage and to not constantly criticize and compare to other Duke teams of the past. Nothing is guaranteed, no one is entitled to win without struggle, was his basic theme.
He spoke without a podium and paced the stage like he was coaching a game, leaning over for emphasis and nearly shouting with intensity.
DeMarcus was wonderful, speaking without a script and smooth as silk. He used his time to encourage and challenge the team to have the hunger and fire to fight next year. He commiserated with Zoubek about the injuries and he gave the team to Paulus and charged him with keeping it all together.

And, PS, we're getting a new scoreboard next season.

roywhite
04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Well I, for one, was flabbergasted at K's speech last night. He called out all those who were doubting his passion for coaching at Duke, anyone who questioned his assistants as not being talented enough, and any other misinformed souls who think his Olympic commitment is harming the Duke program. He asked that this team be given the chance to become a great Duke team, to be allowed to mature and become Duke men of honor and pride. To give them their time on the stage and to not constantly criticize and compare to other Duke teams of the past. Nothing is guaranteed, no one is entitled to win without struggle, was his basic theme.
He spoke without a podium and paced the stage like he was coaching a game, leaning over for emphasis and nearly shouting with intensity.

Sounds like a very powerful speech. Flabbergasted?...not sure what you mean by that in this context?

Cameron
04-19-2008, 09:42 PM
And, PS, we're getting a new scoreboard next season.

NO! Please make this not happen. Not sure why I just wrote that to you, weezie, but that's what came out as my heart dropped to the floor, so I'm just going to leave it.

Anyone else upset with hearing this? Wow, that makes me sad. It's such a part of Cameron's mystique.

weezie
04-19-2008, 09:45 PM
He pulled no punches. It was my impression that he hears the complaints/criticisms and rejects any denigrations of his coaches and players. I thought it was great to hear him speak without having to filter his comments through the anti-Duke media bias. It was a not so subtle right hook against the stupidity of Duke hatred.

And, he still loves Duke, loves coaching and plans on coaching for a long time, which was very good news.

If K had ordered the audience to run through a brick wall, I think there would have been a considerable line of folks volunteering to go first. He's all that...

weezie
04-19-2008, 09:50 PM
NO! Please make this not happen. Not sure why I just wrote that to you, weezie, but that's what came out as my heart dropped to the floor, so I'm just going to leave it.

Anyone else upset with hearing this? Wow, that makes me sad. It's such a part of Cameron's mystique.

I don't think it's such a bad idea. I'd like to know how many timeouts we have left. And certainly, why must we sell advertisement to "Crocs" shoes for heaven's sake like we have up there now. I just wish I had the cash to christen a new "weezietron" scoreboard. Don't worry, "Cameron the stadium" is still the ubercoolest...standing on the center circle and looking up was a real treat last night. Eating dinner on the free throw line was nearly a religious experience. That basket is surely a whole lot further away than it looks on tv. And then you add in 9K sweaty fans!

roywhite
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM
He pulled no punches. It was my impression that he hears the complaints/criticisms and rejects any denigrations of his coaches and players. I thought it was great to hear him speak without having to filter his comments through the anti-Duke media bias. It was a not so subtle right hook against the stupidity of Duke hatred.

And, he still loves Duke, loves coaching and plans on coaching for a long time, which was very good news.

If K had ordered the audience to run through a brick wall, I think there would have been a considerable line of folks volunteering to go first. He's all that...

Excellent...thanks for the report and the follow-up.

Dukeford
04-19-2008, 10:02 PM

Is there any particular time when it "is" ok to ask for autographs?

The reason I ask is because I took my son to a game in Jan 07, a non-conference game, which is when tickets are least expensive.
After the game I waited with him for over an hour in hopes he could get a few players autographs. There were only about 20 kids waiting so it wasn't a huge crowd, but nobody came out and signed for the kids.
Finally, Jon Scheyer came back in the gym at the far end, the doors closest to the parking lot. He was very friendly and signed and let people get pics with him. It probably took him less than 10 min. So he's a good guy! But he was the only one.

I know it has to be a hassle sometimes for these guys. But when you have a 12 year old that worships Duke basketball and keeps up with all the players, and you have to pay around $100 per ticket just to go to a scrub game, it means a lot to the the younger fans if they can get an autograph.

One of the other parents waiting that day said the the players rarely ever stopped on their way out to sign.
Is there ever a "fan night" or something like that?

By the way, Jay Bilas never acts like he minds signing for a kid.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Is there any particular time when it "is" ok to ask for autographs?

The reason I ask is because I took my son to a game in Jan 07, a non-conference game, which is when tickets are least expensive.
After the game I waited with him for over an hour in hopes he could get a few players autographs. There were only about 20 kids waiting so it wasn't a huge crowd, but nobody came out and signed for the kids.
Finally, Jon Scheyer came back in the gym at the far end, the doors closest to the parking lot. He was very friendly and signed and let people get pics with him. It probably took him less than 10 min. So he's a good guy! But he was the only one.

I know it has to be a hassle sometimes for these guys. But when you have a 12 year old that worships Duke basketball and keeps up with all the players, and you have to pay around $100 per ticket just to go to a scrub game, it means a lot to the the younger fans if they can get an autograph.

One of the other parents waiting that day said the the players rarely ever stopped on their way out to sign.
Is there ever a "fan night" or something like that?

By the way, Jay Bilas never acts like he minds signing for a kid.
Today at the Spring Scrimmage Kyle Singler was signing autographs and posing with fans for pictures in the concourse area near the north gate. Many people sought out Greg Paulus where he was seated in the stands. Both seemed genuinely glad to interact with fans of all ages.

Cameron
04-19-2008, 10:10 PM
weezie:

I don't know, to me anyway, it's kind of like taking the Green Monster away from Fenway and adding an updated aquarium tank wall, something that's new and more metro. Obviously this is a very large overreaction on my part, but you get my point:D

It's just makes me sad. I always love looking at 'ol Blue when I walk into Cameron. She's a legendary fixture. I think about the camera zooming into the 95-95 tie after Capel's shot, the 77-75 victory over Carolina, etc. Just so many memories, so many historic moments in Duke culture. Maybe I'm just being too sentimental. I don't know.

As for the speech, though, thank you very much for that recap, weezie. Very nice to hear. (FYI, I'd be right there with you running into that wall, because I know Coach wouldn't allow us to not knock it down. We'd bury that sucker;)).

I LOVE DUKE!

Dukeford
04-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Today at the Spring Scrimmage Kyle Singler was signing autographs and posing with fans for pictures in the concourse area near the north gate. Many people sought out Greg Paulus where he was seated in the stands. Both seemed genuinely glad to interact with fans of all ages.

That's good to hear, I guess you just have to time it right.
I emailed the coach's office the week before we went to the game and asked if there were opportunities to get autographs. I got a reply back but the answer was just that "sometimes" they come back out and sign.

geraldsneighbor
04-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Indian recently put in one of those giant HD scoreboards in at their building. Is that what we have to look forward too, because it seems like it'd be a tight fit getting a huge scoreboard in Cameron.

weezie
04-19-2008, 10:16 PM
....it's kind of like taking the Green Monster away from Fenway and adding an updated aquarium tank....

Manny tossing chum to Orca? "Cameron the uberfan," simmer down there, son! :eek: :D

Cameron
04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
^^Haha

Raleighfan
04-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I went to both men's & women's banquets and noticed that the Brodheads were MIA. Not a word was mentioned about them at either banquet. In the past, if the Duke prez hasn't been at the banquets, he/she usually leaves a message explaining why they can't attend, giving thanks and best wishes to team/esp. departing seniors, thanking fans, etc. This year....nada. I thought it was a little curious.

-jk
04-19-2008, 11:34 PM
weezie:

I don't know, to me anyway, it's kind of like taking the Green Monster away from Fenway and adding an updated aquarium tank wall, something that's new and more metro. Obviously this is a very large overreaction on my part, but you get my point:D

It's just makes me sad. I always love looking at 'ol Blue when I walk into Cameron. She's a legendary fixture. I think about the camera zooming into the 95-95 tie after Capel's shot, the 77-75 victory over Carolina, etc. Just so many memories, so many historic moments in Duke culture. Maybe I'm just being too sentimental. I don't know.

Meh. You're showing your age. Or your youth, anyway: There've already been several scoreboards in Cameron over the years. Thirty or forty years ago, they used to keep live player stats on scoreboards high on the walls behind the end zones - long before the current scoreboard put them over the court.

As long as they don't do silly graphics during free throws, add too much more annoying advertising, etc., I'll be content. Heck, I'd love to have timeouts remaining, and perhaps a few more live player stats beyond points and fouls.

But no silly graphics! And please Lord, let's not try to emulate the pro arenas with those annoying ribbon things.

-jk

geraldsneighbor
04-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Waht about an exciting movie clip or a noise meter during timeouts? hhahaha

Cameron
04-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Meh. You're showing your age. Or your youth, anyway: There've already been several scoreboards in Cameron over the years.

And being under the age of 30 equates to? Not being as good a fan?

Anyway, my contention wasn't that Duke's only had one scoreboard and should keep it (as I was already aware that Duke's had other boards); it was merely that I have fallen in love with our current one, and wish to see it stay. Either way, I will move on I am sure. Duke isn't defined by a scoreboard. And neither is Cameron Indoor, which evolved into the real life Field (in her case, court) of Dreams long before the big screen film.

devil84
04-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Anyway, my contention wasn't that Duke's only had one scoreboard and should keep it (as I was already aware that Duke's had other boards); it was merely that I have fallen in love with our current one, and wish to see it stay.

I, too, like the current scoreboard, but there are so many light bulbs burnt out that sometimes it's very hard to distinguish 3s from 8s, and sometimes even 0s! I've been wanting them to fix that problem for YEARS.

Like -jk says, as long as there's not silly graphics or tons of advertising, I'm happy.

LetItBD08
04-20-2008, 02:33 AM
I went to both men's & women's banquets and noticed that the Brodheads were MIA. Not a word was mentioned about them at either banquet. In the past, if the Duke prez hasn't been at the banquets, he/she usually leaves a message explaining why they can't attend, giving thanks and best wishes to team/esp. departing seniors, thanking fans, etc. This year....nada. I thought it was a little curious.

I believe President Brodhead was at the Duke University Improv "Big Show" Friday night at the same time. I wouldn't read too much into it. DUI's show raises a lot of money for a good cause and had a funny movie clip cameo of the pres. There's a chance he was invited to that before the basketball banquet. By the way, Nolan Smith made an appearance on stage at the end of DUI's show. He probably had to book it from Cameron to Page after the banquet (in case anyone was wondering why he wasn't around signing autographs).

OZZIE4DUKE
04-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Duke University Improv "Big Show" Friday night at the same time. DUI's show

OH! So that's what DUI stands for. I saw the hand painted banner on the arch leading to the Bryan Center from the main quad advertising "DUI" yesterday during the football team's campus walk, and I thought it was some sort of group anti-drinking seminar.

DevilAlumna
04-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I believe President Brodhead was at the Duke University Improv "Big Show" Friday night at the same time. I wouldn't read too much into it. DUI's show raises a lot of money for a good cause and had a funny movie clip cameo of the pres. There's a chance he was invited to that before the basketball banquet. By the way, Nolan Smith made an appearance on stage at the end of DUI's show. He probably had to book it from Cameron to Page after the banquet (in case anyone was wondering why he wasn't around signing autographs).

DUI seems to have a good relationship with the BBall team -- they've got videos up on YouTube starring Scheyer (what he can do in 75 seconds; Zoubek makes an appearance too), and Singler (faux presser.) I think it's great that the bball players are supporting their fellow students like that.

Raleighfan
04-20-2008, 01:30 PM

I'm not "reading too much into it", just saying that it is unusual for not one word to be said about/from the chancellor when he/she hasn't been present at the banquet(s). Perhaps the Brodheads' whereabouts were known to players/others who are on campus, but I know I wasn't the only non-campus person who wondered about their absence at both banquets. Thanks for the info.

Jumbo
04-20-2008, 01:49 PM
And being under the age of 30 equates to? Not being as good a fan?

Anyway, my contention wasn't that Duke's only had one scoreboard and should keep it (as I was already aware that Duke's had other boards); it was merely that I have fallen in love with our current one, and wish to see it stay. Either way, I will move on I am sure. Duke isn't defined by a scoreboard. And neither is Cameron Indoor, which evolved into the real life Field (in her case, court) of Dreams long before the big screen film.

In other news, I hereby relinquish you from your signature.

WhiteboardGuy
04-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Indian recently put in one of those giant HD scoreboards in at their building. Is that what we have to look forward too, because it seems like it'd be a tight fit getting a huge scoreboard in Cameron.

The scoreboard was actually supposed to be replaced last summer, but they realized that the one they were going to install was too heavy and would cave in the roof. As a result, I wouldn't expect to see a huge jumbotron handing from the top of the stadium, but the new scoreboard will have the capacity to show video.

pratt '04
04-20-2008, 10:40 PM
but they realized that the one they were going to install was too heavy and would cave in the roof.

I'm glad somebody took the time to check on that :eek:

Mike Corey
04-20-2008, 11:15 PM
DUI seems to have a good relationship with the BBall team -- they've got videos up on YouTube starring Scheyer (what he can do in 75 seconds; Zoubek makes an appearance too), and Singler (faux presser.) I think it's great that the bball players are supporting their fellow students like that.

DUI has had a great relationship with the men's basketball team about as long as DUI has been in existence (1996).

Similarly, DUI has had a great relationship with academic administrators, as Dean Sue, Dean Moneta, President Keohane and President Brodhead have all participated in skits and videos over the years.

Since its founding, DUI has raised about $100,000 for the Scott Carter Foundation (http://www.scottcarterfoundation.org/), which fights pediatric cancer.

msdukie
04-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't want a new scoreboard and I don't want video (though it would enhance ACCSelect broadcasts).

I just want the lightbulbs fixed and for them to add timeouts.

If we do, unfortunately, have to get a new scoreboard, we should get one like the one that they have at Miami (of all places). It is the exact same size as our current scoreboard and is basically the updated/video version of our current scoreboard. I assume it's the same company. It has video but no ribbon board nonsense.

As for ribbon boards, K is on record saying he hates them, so I don't think they will show up.

As an aside, remember when we didn't have ads between the benches, instead, having the lights that had the Devil and "Duke Blue Devils" next to our bench and the visiting/team ACC logo in lightbulbs next to the other benches. I miss that.

Of course, I also miss the brass gothic "D" in the center of the student section on press row...

..and blue and white uniforms....

Cameron
04-21-2008, 01:10 PM
^^Here, here.

P.S. - I feel like my handle is clothesless:D

bludev03
04-21-2008, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't want to sign autographs because too many people are making money off memorabilia, and the players aren't receiving a dime of it.

I went to an Aggies in either Cary Towne Mall or Crabtree, and I found they had pictures signed by current players of Duke, UNC, and NC State. They were selling them in the range of $75-$150. I asked the workers who the managers were. I told them they should be ashamed that they are making a profit off these student-athletes, who aren't receiving one penny of the profits.

So, I think players should make it short and simple: Just wave, give a high five, or shake a hand and say "Nice to meet you. Thanks for your support". Then that would solve all the problems...

LetItBD08
04-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Doesn't Coach K kind of have a policy where he personalizes his signatures by addressing them to someone? Seems like a good idea...not as marketable.

geraldsneighbor
04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I dpn't even want autographs, I think its cool if you can get a picture with them. When I was 16 I got a picture with Matt Hasslebeck, and its cool to remeber that. Also, they're more likely to want to do that then sign.

godukerocks
04-21-2008, 10:09 PM
On a side note, the Junior Blue Devil Day went very well, with members from the men's soccer, women's volleyball, and football team coming out, along with most of the men's basketball team. After a mini-clinic with the athletes, all the kids got to get autographs and pictures with them. If anyone has any pictures of this event, please link them.

...After I got my pictures, I asked Kenny King for his sig and a pic also, and just so you know, he's the man.

Cameron
04-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Doesn't Coach K kind of have a policy where he personalizes his signatures by addressing them to someone?

It's not his policy per se, but Coach K does ask whether or not you want the autograph personalized. Or at least he did when I received his signature as a kid at the Duke Camp. When he asked me whether I wanted just his name or a personal message to myself, I said personal message without a second thought. Money was not a part of it, and I would never part ways with the ball. I would have felt like I sold my soul if I would have looked him in the eye and said, "No, just the sig is all that will be necessary. Thank you."

Edouble
04-22-2008, 09:43 AM
It's not his policy per se, but Coach K does ask whether or not you want the autograph personalized. Or at least he did when I received his signature as a kid at the Duke Camp. When he asked me whether I wanted just his name or a personal message to myself, I said personal message without a second thought. Money was not a part of it, and I would never part ways with the ball. I would have felt like I sold my soul if I would have looked him in the eye and said, "No, just the sig is all that will be necessary. Thank you."

Do you think he'd do a personal message to someone besides yourself, i.e.

Christian, Thanks for your four years of hard work and excellence, Yours, Coach K

Think how much that would be worth! :D