PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith is not transferring

Jumbo
04-11-2008, 11:39 AM
A lot of you seem to be hearing rumors, and I know other sites are running with them, but let me calm your fears: Nolan Smith is not transferring. The mods have been deleting rumor-mongering threads per the posting guidelines, but hopefully this will keep anyone else from repeating the same rumor (which actually started a while ago and hasn't had legs for a decent amount of time). Anyway, you may now return to your regularly scheduled offseason programming.

VaDukie
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I didn't even hear this rumor but I'm glad it's not true.

MChambers
04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm betting he shows substantial improvement at playing the point, and may inherit much of Demarcus's defensive duties.

Hot Route
04-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I thought Nolan brought a level of quickness and defensive prowess that we desperately needed this year. I wish he could have shown off his talent a little more. He should get more than his share of opportunities next year.

Truth
04-11-2008, 12:36 PM
A lot of you seem to be hearing rumors, and I know other sites are running with them, but let me calm your fears: Nolan Smith is not transferring. The mods have been deleting rumor-mongering threads per the posting guidelines, but hopefully this will keep anyone else from repeating the same rumor (which actually started a while ago and hasn't had legs for a decent amount of time). Anyway, you may now return to your regularly scheduled offseason programming.

Are you basing this on any official announcement that has been made to squash the rumor - link?

Jumbo
04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Are you basing this on any official announcement that has been made to squash the rumor - link?

Why would there be an "official announcement?" No one else is making official announcements to say they are returning to Duke next year.

EarlJam
04-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Why would there be an "official announcement?" No one else is making official announcements to say they are returning to Duke next year.

I think what he's asking is: Are you saying this is most definitely just a rumor with no basis in fact, therefore it should be ignored OR are you saying: You have sources close to Nolan (or Nolan himself) that confirms the rumor is not true?

In other words, which is the more definitive statement:

1. The rumor is just a rumor

or

2. I know for certain. Nolan will be back next year.

-EarlJam

freedevil
04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I think what he's asking is: Are you saying this is most definitely just a rumor with no basis in fact, therefore it should be ignored OR are you saying: You have sources close to Nolan (or Nolan himself) that confirms the rumor is not true?

or

-EarlJam

Who's on first?

EarlJam
04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Who's on first?

Can't tell the difference in the two?

Sorry to confuse you;)

-EJ

freedevil
04-11-2008, 01:21 PM
What? Now we need an official announcement to quash a rumor? Based on his credibility here, I'll take Jumbo's word.

Agreed. Furthermore, I take it that what Jumbo is saying is that even discussing this issue is absurd in and of itself. Hence, my reference to the most absurd comic sketch of all time, "Who's on first?"

ncexnyc
04-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I think Nolan showed he had the ability to run the point last year. It's going to be fun watching our point guard blow by defenders, instead of the other way around.

Jarhead
04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Based on Jumbo's known credibility around here, I'll take his word for it. No official announcement necessary. Consider the rumor quashed.

Truth
04-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Based on Jumbo's known credibility around here, I'll take his word for it. No official announcement necessary. Consider the rumor quashed.

I'm not doubting Jumbo's credibility. As EarlJam pointed out, I simply wanted to know whether Jumbo's assertion was based on his own "private" sources, or if there was something publically available where I could read more...

BD80
04-11-2008, 01:30 PM

or
-EarlJam

Chrissakes, for the purposes of this board, just accept the fact as true and move on.

Sometimes people remind me of the lawyer who objected when his client was asked to state his name: "Objection, lack of foundation!"

Just because you can argue doesn't mean you should.

Truth
04-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Chrissakes, for the purposes of this board, just accept the fact as true and move on.

Sometimes people remind me of the lawyer who objected when his client was asked to state his name: "Objection, lack of foundation!"

Just because you can argue doesn't mean you should.

Relax, BD. You're missing my point. No where did I imply doubt as to whether Jumbo's rumor-quashing was true; I most certainly agree that Nolan Smith will be back at Duke next year. I simply wanted to know if this information was gleaned from a public source and I could read the article myself...

JasonEvans
04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
There is nothing public because there is no need for anything public.

Jumbo's information comes from multiple sources who are in a position to know stuff like this.

Lets put this to bed now, ok?

--Jason "sometimes you just have to trust good sources, ok people?" Evans

JasonEvans
04-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Folks,

This thread is not carte blanche for people to post any rumor they want. The purpose is to dismiss a rumor that was blatantly false but circulating around the Duke community.

Frankly, people are overreacting to all the rumors. I mean, anyone who thinks that Marty Pocius would sit out a year recovering from injury and THEN TRANSFER (which would mean waiting yet another year to play) is just not thinking about how the system works.

Posts with additional rumors are going to be deleted in this thread and, as the rules of the board clearly state, infraction points are going to be given out. I urge everyone to think carefully about posting any rumor. If you are unsure, please email me or any of the other mods and run it by us. There may be some rumors that have enough foundation to merit a thread or a conversation, but you'd be best served to run them by the mods first.

-Jason "hope this does not seem like a slapdown, but the DBR policy on rumors about Duke players is very clear" Evans

Kewlswim
04-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Folks,

This thread is not carte blanche for people to post any rumor they want. The purpose is to dismiss a rumor that was blatantly false but circulating around the Duke community.

Frankly, people are overreacting to all the rumors. I mean, anyone who thinks that Marty Pocius would sit out a year recovering from injury and THEN TRANSFER (which would mean waiting yet another year to play) is just not thinking about how the system works.

Posts with additional rumors are going to be deleted in this thread and, as the rules of the board clearly state, infraction points are going to be given out. I urge everyone to think carefully about posting any rumor. If you are unsure, please email me or any of the other mods and run it by us. There may be some rumors that have enough foundation to merit a thread or a conversation, but you'd be best served to run them by the mods first.

-Jason "hope this does not seem like a slapdown, but the DBR policy on rumors about Duke players is very clear" Evans

Hi,

I wrote a note about human nature to worry and mentioned what could be rumors. Somebody then answered my post with a note about how s/he had heard one of the rumors before.

Couldn't the mods just edit out--saying they had edited out what they thought was rumor mongering? I think that in this case they missed the spirit of the post.

Oh well...

GO DUKE!

JasonEvans
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I wrote a note about human nature to worry and mentioned what could be rumors. Somebody then answered my post with a note about how s/he had heard one of the rumors before.

Couldn't the mods just edit out--saying they had edited out what they thought was rumor mongering? I think that in this case they missed the spirit of the post.

Oh well...

GO DUKE!

We tend to err on the side of over-moderating when it comes to rumors. Sorry about that but that is how it is going to be.

--Jason "my note was not directed only at you, but at everyone -- rumors are a bad idea and will be deleted and result in infractions... period, end of story." Evans

ugadevil
04-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I heard a rumor about BillyBreen's mom...:eek:

Sorry - just trying to ease the tension.

BB, I'm sure your mother's a lovely lady and I wish her all the best.

Jumbo
04-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Relax, BD. You're missing my point. No where did I imply doubt as to whether Jumbo's rumor-quashing was true; I most certainly agree that Nolan Smith will be back at Duke next year. I simply wanted to know if this information was gleaned from a public source and I could read the article myself...

Whoops, sorry for not understanding. No, there's not an article anywhere. As Jason said, I got the same answer from enough people in good places that I felt this needed to be stated so we could all move on. In fact, I'll go one step further -- unless something weird happens (i.e. someone makes a new decision), everyone else will be back. So, any current rumors about someone leaving are wrong. I'm not so bold as to say a kid couldn't wake up one morning and say "I'm leaving," but that's not the case right now. So sit back, relax, enjoy the Masters and get ready for the NBA playoffs.

Kewlswim
04-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Whoops, sorry for not understanding. No, there's not an article anywhere. As Jason said, I got the same answer from enough people in good places that I felt this needed to be stated so we could all move on. In fact, I'll go one step further -- unless something weird happens (i.e. someone makes a new decision), everyone else will be back. So, any current rumors about someone leaving are wrong. I'm not so bold as to say a kid couldn't wake up one morning and say "I'm leaving," but that's not the case right now. So sit back, relax, enjoy the Masters and get ready for the NBA playoffs.

Hi,

It looks like the Warriors are not going to be playing. I have nothing to look forward to, the sky is falling... :D

GO DUKE!

SilkyJ
04-11-2008, 05:17 PM
So sit back, relax, enjoy the Masters and get ready for the NBA playoffs.

Go Rockets!

(for shane, obviously :) )

Acymetric
04-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Go Rockets!

(for shane, obviously :) )

Woah, buddy. I don't see how any blue blooded Duke fan wouldn't be pulling for Grant and the Suns to win his first championship this summer. He's reaching the end of his career, and this is as good a shot as he'll get to win, I think. Shane and the Rockets can feel free to grab the next 10 though, and I'll pull for him all the way. Go SUNS!

west_coast_devil
04-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Old man G-Hill and the Suns

EarlJam
04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I heard a rumor about BillyBreen's mom...:eek:

Sorry - just trying to ease the tension.

BB, I'm sure your mother's a lovely lady and I wish her all the best.

It's no rumor. It's true. And if you hear a rumor about a repeat performance on April 19 at the Moon Shack in downtown Hickory around sayyyyyy 12:30 a.m., well, that rumor will be true as well.

-EarlJam

billybreen
04-11-2008, 05:39 PM
It's no rumor. It's true. And if you hear a rumor about a repeat performance on April 19 at the Moon Shack in downtown Hickory around sayyyyyy 12:30 a.m., well, that rumor will be true as well.

-EarlJam

Whoa, wait a second, how did I get dragged into this mess?

ikiru36
04-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi,

It looks like the Warriors are not going to be playing. I have nothing to look forward to, the sky is falling... :D

GO DUKE!

Thanks for bringing last night's game up, kewl :( I was there and, needless to say, this continues to be a brutal hoops month all around ('cept for the 'holes losing of course, which was fab.)

However, as a Duke fan, I can more than earnestly wish for Utah(Boozer) and Houston(Battier) to spank the Nuggets and give the Warriors a remote chance of still making the post-season. :) Definitely a distinct longshot at this time, but I'll hold out hope 'cause dang were those playoffs fun last year!!!

Go Warriors!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

SilkyJ
04-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Woah, buddy. I don't see how any blue blooded Duke fan wouldn't be pulling for Grant and the Suns to win his first championship this summer. He's reaching the end of his career, and this is as good a shot as he'll get to win, I think. Shane and the Rockets can feel free to grab the next 10 though, and I'll pull for him all the way. Go SUNS!

"I need to slap my damn self"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP4PMd0ojU8&feature=related

Totally my bad. I thought to myself as I was typing "the only other Dukie in the playoffs is JJ and he isn't playing. Am I missing anyone?" My sincerest apologies. I still own a G-Hill pistons jersey. much love.

p.s. I challenge any and all to make more movie quote references as part of their posts than me. But they need to fit appropriately, i.e.

"hey why doesn;t everyone calm down a little its only one loss"

"Calmer'n you are"

wow. it must be the off season.

jimmymax
04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
so can we take it mean that when rumor threads are deleted then the rumors must be false. wonder how this will play out when the next batch of recruits starts choosing schools...

OZZIE4DUKE
04-11-2008, 08:11 PM

Joe Alleva was out of town, that's how!

Jumbo
04-11-2008, 09:36 PM
so can we take it mean that when rumor threads are deleted then the rumors must be false. wonder how this will play out when the next batch of recruits starts choosing schools...

No. Rumor mongering -- period -- is not permitted. But I wanted to squash this one since I had enough info to do so. With other rumors, that's obviously not always possible.

devildeac
04-12-2008, 12:25 AM

We can always figure out a way to drag yo' mama or EJ's mama into a thread-look at the OT board a month or so ago:o

Edouble
04-12-2008, 12:30 AM
I mean, anyone who thinks that Marty Pocius would sit out a year recovering from injury and THEN TRANSFER (which would mean waiting yet another year to play) is just not thinking about how the system works.

That's what Jason Parker did, so there is a precedent.

Kewlswim
04-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks for bringing last night's game up, kewl :( I was there and, needless to say, this continues to be a brutal hoops month all around ('cept for the 'holes losing of course, which was fab.)

However, as a Duke fan, I can more than earnestly wish for Utah(Boozer) and Houston(Battier) to spank the Nuggets and give the Warriors a remote chance of still making the post-season. :) Definitely a distinct longshot at this time, but I'll hold out hope 'cause dang were those playoffs fun last year!!!

Go Warriors!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I wanted to go that game very badly. I still have some hope for the Warriors.

GO WARRIORS! GO DEVILS! GTHC!

jimbonelson
04-12-2008, 08:34 AM
thanks for that information and here is to a great season next year

Devilsfan
04-12-2008, 08:49 AM
How about the new Stockton, Malone? Go Carlos! Hey, isn't he a BIG man from Duke? Not bad recruiting there!

JasonEvans
04-12-2008, 09:25 AM
That's what Jason Parker did, so there is a precedent.

Parker was kicked off the team at Kentucky. He did not transfer. He tried to catch on at South Carolina but could not get himself academically elligible. I am fairly sure he then went the Juco route and has pretty much never been heard from again.

This is a kid who is monumentally messed up -- the kid who committed to UNC but then could not get elligible so he went to a prep school to get his grades up and he committed to UNC again but there were more questions about his grades so UNC dropped him and then Kentucky figured out he really was elligible so he went to play there but then... well, it goes on and on.

To compare his lunatic situation to Pocius... wow, quite a stretch.

--Jason "Parker could have been a stud-- but it takes more than raw talent to get there" Evans

Karl Beem
04-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Parker was kicked off the team at Kentucky. He did not transfer. He tried to catch on at South Carolina but could not get himself academically elligible. I am fairly sure he then went the Juco route and has pretty much never been heard from again.

This is a kid who is monumentally messed up -- the kid who committed to UNC but then could not get elligible so he went to a prep school to get his grades up and he committed to UNC again but there were more questions about his grades so UNC dropped him and then Kentucky figured out he really was elligible so he went to play there but then... well, it goes on and on.

--Jason "Parker could have been a stud-- but it takes more than raw talent to get there" Evans

IIRC, Parker enabled UNC to have a top recruiting class not once, but twice, without ever playing for them.:o

IStillHateJimBain
04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
I think Nolan showed he had the ability to run the point last year. It's going to be fun watching our point guard blow by defenders, instead of the other way around.

Then you ought to delete this rumor about Nolan Smith having the quickness to blow by defenders as a point guard. Nolan Smith is a great kid and he is on the way to being an outstanding player at Duke, but he is really not all that quick. He's quick if you compare him to Greg Paulus, but not if you're comparing him to Lawson, Ish Smith, etc. Nolan is more of a smooth-type guard who pulls up on the jumper and can run out on the break, take a pass and put the ball on the floor and take it to the rim. He didn't play point guard in high school and he'll likely remain a combo guard at Duke for the rest of his career.

Edouble
04-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Jeez, chill out Mr. Jason "take a chill pill" Evans. The point is that he sat out with an injury for a year and then switched schools. I forgot he was kicked off the team. I appreciate the correction on my facts, but I think you know what my point was.

I'm also not sure he was monumentally messed up. I'd say that's a stretch.

ikiru36
04-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi,

I wanted to go that game very badly. I still have some hope for the Warriors.

GO WARRIORS! GO DEVILS! GTHC!

Kewl,
You have plans tonight? I have a pair of lower level tickets for the Warriors/Clippers, if you wanted to join. Who knows, if Denver slips up the game might matter and if not, it can be a Duke thing to check out Elton and Corey (wish Daniel was still there too, oh well). Post back or PM if you're interested/able. [If I don't hear back from you by, say, noon (our time) I'll probably put 'em up on craigslist so as to have more moolah to help me finally afford Watzone's premium services :0)]

Best,
ikiru36

Go Warriors!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JasonEvans
04-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Jeez, chill out Mr. Jason "take a chill pill" Evans. The point is that he sat out with an injury for a year and then switched schools. I forgot he was kicked off the team. I appreciate the correction on my facts, but I think you know what my point was.

Chill?!?!? Me?!?!?! Nevah!!!

Lets recap, shall we?

I said any notion that Pocius might transfer to another school after sitting out a year on a medical redshirt seemed silly because he would lose yet another year.

You said that it was not silly because Jason Parker did the same thing.

I showed that Parker did not do the same thing because he was kicked off the team at Kentucky. He sat out a year and then left, but it ws not his choice to leave.

So, unless you think K has plans to kick Marty Pocius off the Duke team, I fail to see how Jason Parker is in any way relevant to this case.

If I recapped incorrectly, please let me know what I got wrong.

You say, "I think you know what my point was" -- I think your point was to show that a player transferring after sitting out a reshirt year is not an unheardof thing. Am I wrong about that? If so, please show me an example of this as I think it is a bit rarer than you imply.

Regardless, Pocius ain't going anywhere from what I hear. He certainly is not transferring.

--Jason "sorry if I seem strident at times -- I have been channeling Jumbo circa 2005 a lot lately" Evans

dukestheheat
04-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I read the title of this thread and I felt my heart pop a Q-t wave!

No way I could stand it if Nolan left Duke. There would be wailing and great gnashing of teeth at my house in that case.

Please, don't try to kill me in this manner ever again, thank you!

dukestheheat, one relieved Dukie.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
04-13-2008, 02:21 AM
my thoughts:

I feel that most of us are relieved about this post because some of us saw Nolan as a player that deserved more time than he got - and could see it from his stand point that he might also think he deserved more. Rumors of him transfering stir-ered our deepest fears about our reasons for wanting him to play more - ie. he was a better player then the time he got and he might transfer if he dosn't get more pt.

Again we are not the coaching staff (as we sometimes think). Nolan still has NBA potential and will get his time.

No one should be upset if he is so good he takes Greg's spot next year. It will be especially impressive if he does counting Greg's seniority and likely captain status. Nolans got a great opportunity to prove himself... and he's got the spotlight on him center stage for our pg his junior year.

2535Miles
04-13-2008, 12:26 PM
p.s. I challenge any and all to make more movie quote references as part of their posts than me.
I think we should restrict the quotes to come from Monty Python movies only. :D

JasonEvans
04-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Everyone here seems to love Nolan Smith. It is like we think he is the Messiah. He may say he is not the Messiah, but only the true Messiah denies his divinity. (1) If he is not the Messiah, he is a very naughty boy. (2)

Look, I blame his playing time on Coach K. I mean apart from national prominence, a slew of ACC titles, memorable players, and the 3 national titles what has Coach K ever done for us? (3) The truth is that what he says goes. We've living in a dictatorship, a self-perpetuating autocracy. (4)

Nolan is a stud. He is so big, so absolutely huge. I mean, we're all real impressed down here. (5)

Part of the question about Nolan revolves around whether he is a true PG or a SG. I think its a little early to start imposing roles on him, don't you? (6) Sure, some of his forays into the lane got him into peril, but I know Nolan was thinking, "let me have just a little bit of peril." (7) I do worry sometimes that he may get hurt with his play, but I know it won't last. It would just be a flesh wound. (8)

The biggest improvement you will see from Nolan is on his outside shot.I want to see him shoot from long range-- it counts for three, no more, no less (9). And I love the way he scores in bunches-- it is like he skips numbers. He hits a big shot and our lead goes-- one, two, five! (10)

We should put ourselves in Nolan's head and ask ourselves, "What is your quest?" (11) He probably has his eye on the riches of the NBA. Someday, that guy is gonna make it big and he'll probably buy huge... tracts of land. (12)

Duke's future may look like we've been infected with the plague, but we're not dead yet. (13) With Nolan we'll be fine. Anyone who says otherwise is the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent I have ever set my eyes on. (14)

You may not like my opinions on this. Well, go away or I shall taunt you a second time. (14) Now, run away (15).

--Jason "sadly, I could continue this for a loooong time... but this is enough" Evans

rsvman
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Nice post, Jason "I didn't know you were called Dennis" Evans. ;)

SilkyJ
04-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Well obviously Jason has that one covered...I am (and have been for a while) on a wedding crashers/Big Lebowski tilt right now...

shadowfax336
04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Thats pretty impressive. And pretty scary...
all at the same time

devildeac
04-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Everyone here seems to love Nolan Smith. It is like we think he is the Messiah. He may say he is not the Messiah, but only the true Messiah denies his divinity. (1) If he is not the Messiah, he is a very naughty boy. (2)

Look, I blame his playing time on Coach K. I mean apart from national prominence, a slew of ACC titles, memorable players, and the 3 national titles what has Coach K ever done for us? (3) The truth is that what he says goes. We've living in a dictatorship, a self-perpetuating autocracy. (4)

Nolan is a stud. He is so big, so absolutely huge. I mean, we're all real impressed down here. (5)

Part of the question about Nolan revolves around whether he is a true PG or a SG. I think its a little early to start imposing roles on him, don't you? (6) Sure, some of his forays into the lane got him into peril, but I know Nolan was thinking, "let me have just a little bit of peril." (7) I do worry sometimes that he may get hurt with his play, but I know it won't last. It would just be a flesh wound. (8)

The biggest improvement you will see from Nolan is on his outside shot.I want to see him shoot from long range-- it counts for three, no more, no less (9). And I love the way he scores in bunches-- it is like he skips numbers. He hits a big shot and our lead goes-- one, two, five! (10)

We should put ourselves in Nolan's head and ask ourselves, "What is your quest?" (11) He probably has his eye on the riches of the NBA. Someday, that guy is gonna make it big and he'll probably buy huge... tracts of land. (12)

Duke's future may look like we've been infected with the plague, but we're not dead yet. (13) With Nolan we'll be fine. Anyone who says otherwise is the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent I have ever set my eyes on. (14)

You may not like my opinions on this. Well, go away or I shall taunt you a second time. (14) Now, run away (15).

--Jason "sadly, I could continue this for a loooong time... but this is enough" Evans

We are going to see "Spamalot" this weekend. Does that count:o or ;) ?

dougc33
04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
...Three shall be number of the counting. And the number of the counting shall be three!

shadowfax336
04-22-2008, 03:21 PM

Just thought I'd bring this thread back up top, specifically this part of it...

Devilsfan
04-22-2008, 03:32 PM
We need the dreaded killer rabbit on our team. Our rabbits are just too nice.

BlueDevilJay
04-23-2008, 07:38 AM
We need the dreaded killer rabbit on our team. Our rabbits are just too nice.

with SHARP POINTY TEETH!!!

Consider me another awed by Jason "I sleep on Monty Python sheets" Evans as well :)

watzone
04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Duke just added a newbie to the roster for next season and they have good ups (http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/monty-python-killer-rabbit.jpg)

DukePA
04-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Duke just added a newbie to the roster for next season and they have good ups (http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/monty-python-killer-rabbit.jpg)

Run away, run away . . .