Ole Roy to Okie State anyone??

BlueintheFace
04-10-2008, 05:56 PM

The Kansas faithful might actually kill him then... sounds like a plan

BD80
04-10-2008, 07:23 PM

If Roy goes to Okie State, and then UNC meets KU in a final four, which bench does Roy sit behind; what sticker to wear?

poor, poor Roy, nobody would like him

BD80
04-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Rumor is the money truck is next headed to Billy Gillespie.

Please Billy, hop on. I'd rather not see a group of coaches leverage this situation into higher salaries, inflating coaching salaries across the board, so I hope it ends with Billy.

I would also delight in watching the UK faithful suffer through losing the coach they were ready to fire at the beginning of the season. Maybe PPatterson would use that as an excuse to transfer to Duke!

Franzez
04-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Please Billy, hop on. I'd rather not see a group of coaches leverage this situation into higher salaries, inflating coaching salaries across the board, so I hope it ends with Billy.

I would also delight in watching the UK faithful suffer through losing the coach they were ready to fire at the beginning of the season. Maybe PPatterson would use that as an excuse to transfer to Duke!
lol,I doubt Billy G would leave Kentucky 1 year into his stay there but if he did leave it would definetly be a huge shock.

I dont know why Bill Self didnt take the OK State job and although OK State doesnt have as many Championships that Kansas does they certainly arent a horrible school having reached the NCAA Tournament 13/15 years Eddie Sutton was there and they've been to the Final Four twice in the last 12 years compared with Kansas who's been twice in the last 12 years.

Kansas will likely be on the same level as OK State next season when they lose Arthur,Rush,Chalmers,Jackson,Robinson,Kaun,and Collins and with the talent they have coming in next season they'll likely suffer a youthful down year like Florida did last season.

Lotus000
04-10-2008, 08:03 PM
This really, really surprises me. I thought he'd go. Sure, OSU isn't on the same level as Kansas, but...you've won your national championship, and now you get the chance to go to your alma mater.

You grew up in Okmulgee, not far from Stillwater. You met your wife at OSU. You played there four years. You have a ton of family there. And you have, I dunno, anywhere from thirty-five to forty million other reasons to go.

I think I'd have gone.

BD80
04-10-2008, 08:05 PM
I dont know why Bill Self didnt take the OK State job

I heard a couple of the talking heads discuss this on ESPN, the conversation boiled down to: "have you ever been to Stillwater Oklahoma?"

End of discussion.

Lotus000
04-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I heard a couple of the talking heads discuss this on ESPN, the conversation boiled down to: "have you ever been to Norman Oklahoma?"

End of discussion.

Umm...did they really say 'Norman' instead of 'Stillater?' If so, they need to be fired.

And let's not kid ourselves, Lawrence ain't exactly the center of cosmopolitanism in the world. They're both pretty backwater.

BD80
04-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Umm...did they really say 'Norman' instead of 'Stillwater?'

Rats, you quoted it before I could fix it.

The essence of the joke was that Stillwater made Lawrence look metropolitan. In fairness, it wasn't a rap on people who enjoy Stillwater, it was more a comment on the difficulty of recruiting today's teenagers to Stillwater, particularly urban kids used to a more fast-paced lifestyle.

mgtr
04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Maybe PPatterson would use that as an excuse to transfer to Duke!

Would we really still want him?

roywhite
04-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I heard a couple of the talking heads discuss this on ESPN, the conversation boiled down to: "have you ever been to Stillwater Oklahoma?"

End of discussion.

I'll bet Berman was just dying to report that Bill "just looking out for him"..Self had taken the big money job at OSU.

dkbaseball
04-10-2008, 08:46 PM
And let's not kid ourselves, Lawrence ain't exactly the center of cosmopolitanism in the world. They're both pretty backwater.

I don't know. I think of Lawrence as a very good location. You live in a pleasant college town and have Kansas City 25 miles away. You say Kansas City isn't exactly the center of cosmopolitanism? Well, I haven't been to New York in several years, but anymore it seems to me that American cities have gotten so homogenized that if you've seen one you've seen them all.

I think a big consideration with these coaches is being king of their domain, having one of the biggest houses in town and such. Just looking at location and the available diversions, one might have been surprised to see Tommy Bowden not hesitate a second in going from Tulane to Clemson, which truly is -- apologies to Klemnop -- a backwater. But in Clemson he's king.

mgtr
04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
I have spent time in a lot of cities, more than I want to, I guess, and to me, Kansas City, Mo is an OK place. Good eats.

Franzez
04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Rats, you quoted it before I could fix it.

The essence of the joke was that Stillwater made Lawrence look metropolitan. In fairness, it wasn't a rap on people who enjoy Stillwater, it was more a comment on the difficulty of recruiting today's teenagers to Stillwater, particularly urban kids used to a more fast-paced lifestyle.
Did you actually just say that?

What constitutes as urban to you?

Cities With Over 100,000 People?
Cities With Over 10,000 People?

Athletes do not care about where the school is located,ex. Kansas State in Manhattan,Kansas and Penn State in State College,Pennsylvania but more of the opportunities they'd get at the school and them and their families familiarity with the coaching staff.

If you believe athletes are swayed by the urban aspect of a city then explain why St.Johns University in Queens,New York City and DePaul in Chicago,Illinois did not qualify for postseason play.

If players can be recruited to Kansas than they can be recruited to Oklahoma State its that easy.

Both had McDonalds All American's last season and both had neither this season,the reason OSU wasnt on the same level as Kansas was due to their 2005 recruiting class which was headlined by Gerald Green,Roderick Flemmings and Keith Brumbaugh who all played a combined 0 games at OSU.

Troublemaker
04-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Folks, Self may have won a championship, but he's probably interested in winning a few more and he stands a much better chance of doing so at KU than at OkSU. It would have been shocking if he had left. KU is one of the Big Six all-time programs along with Kentucky, UCLA, UNC, Duke, and Indiana. If he ever leaves Kansas, it'll be for the NBA.

billybreen
04-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Self is staying... thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3340309

A wise move.

barjwr
04-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I dont know why Bill Self didnt take the OK State job and although OK State doesnt have as many Championships that Kansas does they certainly arent a horrible school having reached the NCAA Tournament 13/15 years Eddie Sutton was there and they've been to the Final Four twice in the last 12 years compared with Kansas who's been twice in the last 12 years.

Kansas will likely be on the same level as OK State next season when they lose Arthur,Rush,Chalmers,Jackson,Robinson,Kaun,and Collins and with the talent they have coming in next season they'll likely suffer a youthful down year like Florida did last season.

I have a couple of corrections and opinions about this post. First, the only guaranteed losses are Jackson, Robinson, and Kaun (seniors). Granted, Rush and Arthur are likely to leave, but I would not be surprised to see at least Collins and possibly Chalmers stay (each is a little too small to go to the league at this point in their development). Second, Kansas has been to three Final Fours in the last 12 years, not two (2002, 2003, 2008), and has been to 6 in the last 20 years (OSU still only 2). Third, trying to compare the basketball traditions of Kansas and Oklahoma State is not a close contest, and neither is comparing their recent accomplishments:

OSU: 2 NCAA championships, most recently in 1946 (back-to-back with 1945). 6 Final Fours, most recently in 2004 and 1995. 4 conference tournament championships (1983, 1995, 2004, 2005); 3 regular season conference championships (1965, 1991, 2004)

KU: 3 NCAA championships and 2 Helms Foundation championships; all three NCAA championships are since OSU's. 13 Final Fours, most recently in 2008, 2003, and 2002. KU has also not missed the NCAAs in 19 years and only once in 25 years (the one miss in 1989 because of Larry Brown's recruiting violations). 10 conference tournament championships, including the last three in a row; 51 regular season conference championships.

captmojo
04-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Staying put is smart. Could you imagine the pressure that would be thrown at him, taking Pickens' money? How fast would he have to produce? The expectations would be through the roof!

ArkieDukie
04-11-2008, 10:16 AM

Rumor has it that KY will go after John Pelphrey if Gillispie leaves KY for OK State. I want Pelphrey to stay right where he is.

calltheobvious
04-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Did you actually just say that?

What constitutes as urban to you?

Cities With Over 100,000 People?
Cities With Over 10,000 People?

Athletes do not care about where the school is located,ex. Kansas State in Manhattan,Kansas and Penn State in State College,Pennsylvania but more of the opportunities they'd get at the school and them and their families familiarity with the coaching staff.

If you believe athletes are swayed by the urban aspect of a city then explain why St.Johns University in Queens,New York City and DePaul in Chicago,Illinois did not qualify for postseason play.

If players can be recruited to Kansas than they can be recruited to Oklahoma State its that easy.

Both had McDonalds All American's last season and both had neither this season,the reason OSU wasnt on the same level as Kansas was due to their 2005 recruiting class which was headlined by Gerald Green,Roderick Flemmings and Keith Brumbaugh who all played a combined 0 games at OSU.

Good grief. No one's arguing that a school being in an urban area is, in and of itself, sufficient for success. But do you not think it helps? If everything else were equal, would you prefer to be paid to recruit for St. John's or Kansas State? When's the last time Penn State landed a big-time basketball player?

Julius "Snapple" Hodge was a quote machine when it came to extolling the virtues of the big city. I dare say that it took a great sales pitch by the coaches at a school with substantial tradition in a great conference to convince him to come to a city in which he was worried about being hit by deer. I don't think Julius was all that unique in his preferences, just a lot more outspoken than most. Think Kansas State has the cache to be able to get many of those guys on a consistent basis?

There are a ton of factors that go into measuring a school's institutional resources/advantages. Whether a school is in an MSA is obviously not nearly the most important factor, but to argue that it's completely meaningless is absurd.

gep
04-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Staying put is smart. Could you imagine the pressure that would be thrown at him, taking Pickens' money? How fast would he have to produce? The expectations would be through the roof!

The kind of "money" being thrown at coaches is just amazing to me. If you're making a million per year, do you really need more? How much more? Ego is one thing, but if you take the "money", I think you deserve all the pressure to produce as can be thrown at you. I think Self is in a very good situation right now. I can't imagine that the money is more important than his situation. I like the fact that he's staying...:cool:

yancem
04-14-2008, 09:12 AM
The kind of "money" being thrown at coaches is just amazing to me. If you're making a million per year, do you really need more? How much more? Ego is one thing, but if you take the "money", I think you deserve all the pressure to produce as can be thrown at you. I think Self is in a very good situation right now. I can't imagine that the money is more important than his situation. I like the fact that he's staying...:cool:

I wonder what the financial difference between the two schools would be for Self in terms of endorsements. It seems to me that the shoe companies and other corporate sponsors (colas, fast food. gatorade, etc.) would be more interested in him coaching Kansas because of a) Kansas' tradition and television exposure and b) that's where he won a title. Also, things like fantasy camps, book deals and speaking engagements would probably earn him more at Kansas. I'm not sure it the endorsements and other revenue streams would make up all money he turned down but from a long term stand point, it might make it close.

Indoor66
04-14-2008, 10:29 AM
I wonder what the financial difference between the two schools would be for Self in terms of endorsements. It seems to me that the shoe companies and other corporate sponsors (colas, fast food. gatorade, etc.) would be more interested in him coaching Kansas because of a) Kansas' tradition and television exposure and b) that's where he won a title. Also, things like fantasy camps, book deals and speaking engagements would probably earn him more at Kansas. I'm not sure it the endorsements and other revenue streams would make up all money he turned down but from a long term stand point, it might make it close.

Though, it takes a lot of those additional items to raise your income from, say $1.5 million to $4 million!