PDA

View Full Version : Sophomores Transferring

buddy
03-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Today's N&O had a story about Duke in which Luciana Chavez said "at least on sophomore is considering transferring." Obviously that is not Josh, and unlikely to be Greg, so likely can only mean Marty (if Dave transferred he would have to sit out another year, which would make him a 23 year old junior somewhere). Given his PT I would not be surprised if Marty is disenchanted. Any thoughts or insights?

Troublemaker
03-17-2007, 07:43 PM
The article said at least one more player, not one more sophomore.

http://www.newsobserver.com/736/story/554557.html

Bob Green
03-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I interpreted the comment as speculation.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Exiled_Devil
03-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I interpreted the comment as speculation.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

That sentence is the equivalent of saying " One of the cars on the highway could blow up in a ball of flames."

Without any qualification in the sentence (sources say, etc.) I agree with Bob - whether or not there is a likelihood of someone transferring, this article provides no more reliable information than discussion board assertions.

Ugh. the only thing I hate more than losing a player is rampant speculation about losing a player.

Exiled

jjasper0729
03-17-2007, 08:17 PM
I agree when I read that statement in the paper this morning that it was completely speculative. I believe Chavez is reading into the position glut we may end up having at either SG or SF and there not being enough minutes to go around.

Jarhead
03-17-2007, 08:33 PM
All that Chavez said was, "At least one more player could do the same." Pure speculation, something like, "Carolina Could win by 50 points tonight."

3rd Dukie
03-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Today's N&O had a story about Duke in which Luciana Chavez said "at least on sophomore is considering transferring." Obviously that is not Josh, and unlikely to be Greg, so likely can only mean Marty (if Dave transferred he would have to sit out another year, which would make him a 23 year old junior somewhere). Given his PT I would not be surprised if Marty is disenchanted. Any thoughts or insights?

"At least one more player could do the same."

Unless I missed another quote, you misquoted her. This is the quote I found. Not quite the same. As Bob said, it seems more like speculation. One more player could also sprout wings and fly, but not likely.

If kids transfer, they transfer. But there seems to be a "transfer mania" on these boards. Not much we can do except improvise and deal with it.

Kewlswim
03-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi,

I've read an article, wish I had the link, but it was linked off of this board, where Marty talked about how happy he was living in the US and with Duke in particular. Look, I wish Marty had played more as do lots of people on this board. However, he was injured. I have no idea how badly. He didn't look that injured against VCU, but who knows how much practice time with the right group he was able to get. Coach K makes his decisions and we are not at practice. I would be surprised if he left. I think he wants to contribute to the Devils.

GO DUKE!

DU82
03-17-2007, 10:49 PM
"At least one more player could do the same."

Unless I missed another quote, you misquoted her. This is the quote I found. Not quite the same. As Bob said, it seems more like speculation. One more player could also sprout wings and fly, but not likely.

If kids transfer, they transfer. But there seems to be a "transfer mania" on these boards. Not much we can do except improvise and deal with it.

The statement above was after mentioning that two others in the class of 2009 have transferred (Boatang and Boykin) and the inference is that there is somebody in that class that might transfer as well. This isn't "transfer mania" on this board, this is an article by one of the local Duke beat writers. Big difference. If it was some national "know-it-all" who's never talked to anybody at Duke, that would be one thing, but Luciana Chavez is the best day-to-day reporter following the team. It's a bit more than idle speculation.

Madrasdukie
03-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I've read an article, wish I had the link, but it was linked off of this board, where Marty talked about how happy he was living in the US and with Duke in particular.

Is this the article you were referring to ?

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:3r22iGYmt-sJ:heraldsun.com/sports/18-799240.cfm+Jurate+Pocius+three-flight&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=safari

Kewlswim
03-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Is this the article you were referring to ?

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:3r22iGYmt-sJ:heraldsun.com/sports/18-799240.cfm+Jurate+Pocius+three-flight&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=safari

Hi,

Thank you for finding the link. This does not sound like the kind of guy who is leaving.

GO DUKE!

p.s. Though anything can happen.

Madrasdukie
03-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Hi,

Thank you for finding the link. This does not sound like the kind of guy who is leaving.

GO DUKE!

p.s. Though anything can happen.

Hello,

I agree, it doesn't seem like he might leave - I hope he does not (I love the energy he brings to the team amongst other things).

3rd Dukie
03-18-2007, 12:09 AM
The statement above was after mentioning that two others in the class of 2009 have transferred (Boatang and Boykin) and the inference is that there is somebody in that class that might transfer as well. This isn't "transfer mania" on this board, this is an article by one of the local Duke beat writers. Big difference. If it was some national "know-it-all" who's never talked to anybody at Duke, that would be one thing, but Luciana Chavez is the best day-to-day reporter following the team. It's a bit more than idle speculation.

I think you may have misunderstood my implication. I did not mean to refer to just this thread. I was referring to the entire board where people are even suggesting that players transfer. Yes, I know the context of her statement. All I was saying was that that particular statement seemed like speculation. Do you think it was more than that? If so, you may be right. I have no clue and was assessing only the statement, not the knowledge that may or may not be behind it.

I am not dissing Chavez at all. I am simply saying that there is no reason to read too much into what may have actually been "idle speculation." There's nothing wrong with that, either.