PDA

View Full Version : A. D. Speculation

devilish
04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Here's the potential list according to DBR:

Rick Chryst - MAC Commissioner
Leo Hart - Chairman, U.S. personnel, Inc/Chairman of the Duke University Athletics Advisory Board
Mike Cragg, currently head of the Legacy Fund
Chris Kennedy, interim A.D.

I have met Cragg and don't think he has the personality to be AD. Does anyone have any thoughts? There certainly was a lot of talk about the need to get rid of Joe, but not much discussion about a replacement. Any more candidates?

jjasper0729
04-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Don't think Mr. Kennedy will be in consideration. Not because he's not qualified, but he has no interest in it:

"In an interview with The Herald-Sun on Friday, Kennedy indicated that he would not be a candidate to be the next full-time athletics director."

roywhite
04-10-2008, 10:30 AM
http://www.mac-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9400&ATCLID=323244

Link to an article on Rick Chryst...very impressive background

Seems like 4 good candidates; just my preference, but I like the idea of someone who has been working outside Duke for a while. That would favor Chryst and Leo Hart, and both do have Duke connections.

dyedwab
04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.mac-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9400&ATCLID=323244

Link to an article on Rick Chryst...very impressive background

Seems like 4 good candidates; just my preference, but I like the idea of someone who has been working outside Duke for a while. That would favor Chryst and Leo Hart, and both do have Duke connections.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think the ideal combination is someone who, as DBR says, gets Duke, but who has worked outside of it so has something to compare it to in the world of college athletics.

I think that, no matter the organization, the danger of focusing primarily on internal candidates is the sometimes a viewpoint of "what is will always be" both good and bad can take hold.

I think we have seen with Cutcliffe taking over the football program that sometimes a new perspective allows for changes that wouldn't have even been thought of if you progress along the same path.

Inonehand
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
You don't have to work outside of Duke to understand what other universities do that makes them successful. Good administrators investigate peer groups and learn from them as well. I believe that makes Cragg a very viable option because I do believe the basketball area of Duke Athletics does that consistently. One thing I DO believe should be a criteria, however, is that the next AD should be 'in the business'. Leo Hart is a good man, businessman, and alum. I do not think he's spent much time figuring out what truly makes an athletic department run at an exemplary level. This list leaves me disappointed. What about successful ADs from across the country?

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
You don't have to work outside of Duke to understand what other universities do that makes them successful. Good administrators investigate peer groups and learn from them as well. I believe that makes Cragg a very viable option because I do believe the basketball area of Duke Athletics does that consistently. One thing I DO believe should be a criteria, however, is that the next AD should be 'in the business'. Leo Hart is a good man, businessman, and alum. I do not think he's spent much time figuring out what truly makes an athletic department run at an exemplary level. This list leaves me disappointed. What about successful ADs from across the country?

I agree. All this talk of having a 'businessman" come run the athletic department concerns me. An AD needs to understand the world of athletics, not just business.

roywhite
04-10-2008, 12:08 PM

Leo Hart - Chairman, U.S. personnel, Inc/Chairman of the Duke University Athletics Advisory Board Mike Cragg, currently head of the Legacy Fund

I have met Cragg and don't think he has the personality to be AD. Does anyone have any thoughts? There certainly was a lot of talk about the need to get rid of Joe, but not much discussion about a replacement. Any more candidates?

Not sure why anyone would say Leo Hart is lacking in knowledge of the workings of a college athletics department, and specifically Duke. He has been very active in that regard, and seems very well qualified.

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 12:09 PM

Leo Hart - Chairman, U.S. personnel, Inc/Chairman of the Duke University Athletics Advisory Board
Mike Cragg, currently head of the Legacy Fund

For those "inside Duke' you left off Jacki Silar (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22647&SPID=1841&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=157707). Concerning Mike Cragg, I to have met him and I disagree.

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Not sure why anyone would say Leo Hart is lacking in knowledge of the workings of a college athletics department, and specifically Duke. He has been very active in that regard, and seems very well qualified.

Are we talking aobut this Leo Hart...

Wes Chesson was a high school senior in 1966 and the star quarterback at Edenton (N.C.) High School. Recruited by Duke, Chesson asked the coaching staff if they were recruiting other quarterbacks in his class. Duke coach Tom Harp believed that the best high school athletes played quarterback and he told Chesson that he was recruiting several but most would be moved to other positions.

Anybody in particular? "Well, there's one kid from Kinston, a lanky guy named Leo Hart. We'll probably move him to wide receiver." "Good," replied Chesson. "I'll need someone to throw to."

Chesson and Hart ended up at Duke. They did become one of the most potent pass-catch tandems in ACC history, but not the way Chesson envisioned. It was he who was switched to wide receiver, while Hart revolutionized the ACC at quarterback.

Looking Back... Duke's Leo Hart Revolutionized the ACC at Quarterback (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092607aaa.html) By Jim Sumner

...or is there another?

Inonehand
04-10-2008, 12:23 PM
IMO, being an advisor somewhere does not provide you with the expertise to run the ship. There are tons of companies with BoD that provide good advice but are in no way capable of running the companies they advise. It is a lot easier job to visit, say your two cents, then leave the work to others.
As for Jacki Silar, she is very well-respected in the athletics world and is a wonderful person. I hope she gets some consideration.
If Ron Wellman isn't at least given a call...well, somebody should call him.

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 12:28 PM
IMO, being an advisor somewhere does not provide you with the expertise to run the ship. There are tons of companies with BoD that provide good advice but are in no way capable of running the companies they advise. It is a lot easier job to visit, say your two cents, then leave the work to others.
As for Jacki Silar, she is very well-respected in the athletics world and is a wonderful person. I hope she gets some consideration.
If Ron Wellman isn't at least given a call...well, somebody should call him.

My "inside Duke' list is Jacki Silar and Mike Cragg.

77devil
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Are we talking aobut this Leo Hart...

Quote:
Wes Chesson was a high school senior in 1966 and the star quarterback at Edenton (N.C.) High School. Recruited by Duke, Chesson asked the coaching staff if they were recruiting other quarterbacks in his class. Duke coach Tom Harp believed that the best high school athletes played quarterback and he told Chesson that he was recruiting several but most would be moved to other positions.

Anybody in particular? "Well, there's one kid from Kinston, a lanky guy named Leo Hart. We'll probably move him to wide receiver." "Good," replied Chesson. "I'll need someone to throw to."

Chesson and Hart ended up at Duke. They did become one of the most potent pass-catch tandems in ACC history, but not the way Chesson envisioned. It was he who was switched to wide receiver, while Hart revolutionized the ACC at quarterback.

Looking Back... Duke's Leo Hart Revolutionized the ACC at Quarterback By Jim Sumner

...or is there another?

Surely you're joking, but if not, that is the one.

sagegrouse
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I will be interested in seeing whether Duke restricts its search to those who have come up the athletic department ladder (at Duke or elsewhere) over the past 10-20 years.

There is an alternative. The college education world also has a ladder for university administration. Folks enter that ladder often from a pure academic appointment (usually early in a career) but sometimes with a specific educational administration background. Many of the presidents in large state universities have trekked this path.

There is no way Duke would consider someone for Univ. President who came up through educational administration. Duke would look for someone with a strong academic background (publications and recognized expertise) who would earn the respect of the faculty. Administrative capability is important, of course, and therefore Duke turned to true academics like Keohane, Knight, and Brodhead, who had been in top positions in universities.

The comparable approach in the AD search would look for someone who had some background in athletic administration but had made his or her mark in another leadership position. To me, leadership, creativity, public representation (fund-raising), and administrative capability are way, way, way more important than the arcana of NCAA rules and regs and the details of scheduling games and negotiating contracts. That expertise will be found on the staff and among the coaches.

We need someone who will be a leader in the mold of Cameron or Butters (different molds, really).

sagegrouse

Indoor66
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
I will be interested in seeing whether Duke restricts its search to those who have come up the athletic department ladder (at Duke or elsewhere) over the past 10-20 years.

There is an alternative. The college education world also has a ladder for university administration. Folks enter that ladder often from a pure academic appointment (usually early in a career) but sometimes with a specific educational administration background. Many of the presidents in large state universities have trekked this path.

There is no way Duke would consider someone for Univ. President who came up through educational administration. Duke would look for someone with a strong academic background (publications and recognized expertise) who would earn the respect of the faculty. Administrative capability is important, of course, and therefore Duke turned to true academics like Keohane, Knight, and Brodhead, who had been in top positions in universities.

The comparable approach in the AD search would look for someone who had some background in athletic administration but had made his or her mark in another leadership position. To me, leadership, creativity, public representation (fund-raising), and administrative capability are way, way, way more important than the arcana of NCAA rules and regs and the details of scheduling games and negotiating contracts. That expertise will be found on the staff and among the coaches.

We need someone who will be a leader in the mold of Cameron or Butters (different molds, really).

sagegrouse

Sage advice from the grouse. I knew Leo Hart in the 70's and watched him grow. IMO he is an outstanding candidate, if he is, in fact, interested. His business experience, continuing involvement with Duke Athletics and his character speak well for him to be selected.

Bluedawg
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Surely you're joking, but if not, that is the one.

I was...i found that and Jim is such a good writer i couldn't help but sharing that portion of it.

i encourage every one to read all of it....its very well done.

roywhite
04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
With Leo's experience, he could teach the athletic department to operate on a "shoestring."

Stray Gator
04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
With Leo's experience, he could teach the athletic department to operate on a "shoestring."

I wondered how long it would take someone to fashion a humorous play on "shoestring" or "shoelaces" once the mention of Hart-to-Chesson was made. Nicely done, roy. (And yes, I was sitting in the student section at Wade Stadium when they ran that play.)

I haven't studied all the candidates yet. But I'll say this much: If Duke decides it needs a Hart, I'll certainly vote for Leo over Dave. :D

watzone
04-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Cragg has been sucessful at every job he's had while at Duke. He's young, energetic and loves the programs. He'd work his butt off. He's also well known to K.

I was in the stands for the Hart-Wes shoestring play going, "what ... huh," having had my head turned;) I then went into what happened mode. Oh the attention span of a child.

pratt '04
04-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I wondered how long it would take someone to fashion a humorous play on "shoestring" or "shoelaces" once the mention of Hart-to-Chesson was made. Nicely done, roy. (And yes, I was sitting in the student section at Wade Stadium when they ran that play.)

For any other, er, younger Duke fans like me who didn't know what the shoestring play was, this is from the article that Bluedawg linked:

Duke went 3-6-1 in 1969, ending the season with a 17-13 win over North Carolina. Hart figured in the game's key play, arguably the most famous play in ACC history. Ironically, he didn't even touch the ball. It was 7-7 late in the third quarter. Hart carried the ball on an option and was tackled close to the sideline. As the teams lined up for the next play, Hart bent down to tie a shoe. With the UNC defense huddled up, Duke end Marcel Courtillet picked up the ball and tossed it to Chesson, who ran down the sidelines 53-yards for the touchdown.

Duke did rehearse the "shoe-string" play in practice that week. Chesson says, "(Coach) Harp noticed that Carolina turned their backs when they were huddling on defense. So we thought we could exploit it. But we never thought it would work that well. Easiest touchdown I ever had."

A lot of things had to go right. The officials were alerted before the game. Hart had to make sure he didn't go out of bounds, stopping the clock. Duke had to have seven players on the line of scrimmage, they had to be set, the line had to be aligned properly. Hart says, "The signal was Marcel saying `Leo, are you okay?' We knew we could only try it once. I've had a lot of fun with it over the years."

dkbaseball
04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Sage advice from the grouse. I knew Leo Hart in the 70's and watched him grow. IMO he is an outstanding candidate, if he is, in fact, interested. His business experience, continuing involvement with Duke Athletics and his character speak well for him to be selected.

Also as nice a guy as you'd hope to meet, someone who has always routinely attempted to make everyone feel part of the Duke family. A major BMOC in his undergraduate days who never demonstrated any hint of an entitlement attitude. I'd be pleased to see him get it.

As far as people with a long track record as AD -- just to throw a name out randomly, I've been very impressed with the job Rick Dixon has done at Tulane under the trying circumstances of Katrina. But, even though Tulane aspires to Duke's academic tier, Dixon's coaches have been able to get a lot of their athletes into school through the division of continuing studies, which has much lower admission standards than the regular university. Can't imagine such a deal ever going on at Duke.

roywhite
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
pratt '04...good followup and explanation of the shoestring play.

I, too, was in the stands that day. Oh...for youtube to capture that moment; I believe the play thoroughly fooled not only the Heels, but also anyone filming the game, and that there is no photographic record of the play. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that).

jimsumner
04-10-2008, 03:39 PM
The only footage of the shoestring play shows Chesson running about the last 20 yards or so.

It wasn't so much that Duke fooled the camera men as much as that they routinely turned off the cameras between plays to save film. Or so I've been told.

Leo co-chaired the fund-raising committee for the Yoh Building and was on the search committee that recommended Cutcliffe. So, he has kept in touch.

Mike Cragg has solid credentials, also. He has worked his way up the food chain and has demonstrated considerable fund-raising expertise. He and K are tight.

I would be delighted with either one.

I too think Jacki Silar should be in the mix.

One name that I expected to hear was former 76ers GM Billy King. Apparently not.

Inonehand
04-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I too believe someone who has worked their way through academic administration within the university could make a good hire. As for the continued support of someone from the business world...our own Fuqua School of Business should be a guide as to how well business people fit into the role of university administrators. Tom Keller was a good Dean, in my opinion. Adams and Breeden? Some would say yes, many no. Blair Sheppard, I believe, will be the very best of them all. Yes, I believe much of the day-to-day aspect of the AD job will be done by 'staff', but certainly not all of it should be. 'Staff' should be led and mentored by someone who knows what they are doing.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-10-2008, 05:22 PM
As for the continued support of someone from the business world...our own Fuqua School of Business should be a guide as to how well business people fit into the role of university administrators.

You want someone with a connection to Fuqua? How about our own Boswell? No, wait, I don't need anymore competition that I already have. Never mind.

Inonehand
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
but Boswell would do a bangup job. Plus, he could help Wojo with the big men.

Atldukie79
04-10-2008, 08:41 PM
For the record, I too was a kid watching the shoestring play. I too missed the first part and watched the end of the play. I too have found out that there is no film available...though, I wonder if the Heels actually have the tape and never wanted to reveal it...hmmm...could it be?

In any event, my parents have known Mike Cragg for years. There are few men with more integrity and love of Duke athletics in their opinion. Both he and Hart have the Duke connection credentials to make this alum happy.

TheTrain
04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Seeing that the finalists for AD of the Year are Ron Wellman of Wake, Lew Perkins of Kansas, Gene Smith of Ohio State, and Jeff Hathaway of UCONN...maybe these are the people who should be at the top of the list

DukeFencer
04-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I am also a huge Jacki Silar fan. Not that it will necessarily matter to powers above, but she has always had a great relationship with the athletes. She works closely with SAAC (the Student Athlete Advisory Committee who connect the athletes to the athletic department) and is extremely personable.

Inonehand
04-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Pretty sure that Gene Smith was a candidate back when Alleva was hired. Haven't looked at his bio but think he was at Iowa then...maybe. Wellman is fantastic. Nobody says otherwise. Again, who knows if he'd even consider the job but the question should be asked. Or at least thought of. BUT, no matter how much we think of our university, there are plenty out there who would think more than twice about working for Brodhead right now. Right or wrong, he is probably not thought of in the best of ways by people familiar with college athletics. We might not be able to get the best person for the job. Whoever that is.

devilish
04-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Had not thought of her. She would be great. Who are the best candidates without Duke connections? I would think people from all over would be jumping on this opportunity.

formerdukeathlete
04-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Seeing that the finalists for AD of the Year are Ron Wellman of Wake, Lew Perkins of Kansas, Gene Smith of Ohio State, and Jeff Hathaway of UCONN...maybe these are the people who should be at the top of the list

I guess a few of you may be aware that Joe Alleva's contract extension may have been more of a probationary push. I can't comment on the fairness of this, however, one post on this thread suggested that AD candidates may be concerned about working for our University President at this point. Joe Alleva can now speak his mind. A Wellman no doubt would call Alleva, and ask about the job, what people were like to work for, etc.

Leo Hart has been chair of the athletics council for some time, and has strong, yet independent, non-employee ties to the University. I have no doubt that Leo would be respected by our coaches, as well as command a certain amount of respect from our President / administration. I have no doubt that he would be up to the challenge.

I hope we have a committee decision, that DB's imput is just one of many.

Because we have a pretty good roadmap to follow, I do not think we have to pay to lure a top, well-situated AD from another school to sprinkle "magic dust" on the situation. We need an excellent fundraiser who is a good judge of people / coaching competence...and one who will be fairly treated as well as respected by our administration - Leo Hart is the guy.

DukieInKansas
04-11-2008, 09:27 PM

Lew Perkins caused quite a ruckus when he changed how basketball tickets are allocated to those that give to the Williams (no relation to Roy) Fund. I've been told that he did the same thing at U Conn. There were many unhappy people in Jayhawk land - had to pony up big bucks to keep their seats where they were. On the plus side, added points to the calculation if you had season tickets to other sports. I don't know how the tickets are handled at Duke, so this may not be a change.

Verga3
04-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I am also a huge Jacki Silar fan. Not that it will necessarily matter to powers above, but she has always had a great relationship with the athletes. She works closely with SAAC (the Student Athlete Advisory Committee who connect the athletes to the athletic department) and is extremely personable.

Me too. Jacki Silar is an extremely capable, personable administrator. She is part of Duke's fabric and would understand where we have been (after 28 years) and where we can go. From what I have seen, her depth of understanding of the student-athlete experience at Duke and her ability to see the big picture at Duke and in college athletics are her huge attributes. She is now serving a 5-year term on the NCAA Basketball Committee and has been involved as both a coach and administrator through the years. She is highly respected throughout the NCAA. What a great person and terrific potential candidate. It would be unexpected, but a great AD hire....Can you tell I'm a Silar fan?

I'm very sorry if Chris Kennedy may not want to throw his hat into the ring, but I would consider him anyway if I were on the search committee.....I suspect his input will be crucial in their process, but his own breadth of experience and knowledge will rival ANY potential candidate......Go, Chris!

The bottom line, though, may be Leo Hart, as he appears to be the total package, with his Duke and business track-record.....and, as someone has already mentioned, he has already proven his imagination and ability to run things on a "shoestring." He would likely bring even more passion (and Coach Cut has a boat load) to bring Duke football back.....LEO!!!

Personally, I hope we can stay "in the family" with this decision, realizing we've done OK in the past with bringing in "new family" members. It will be a tough selection process, to be sure. It's a credit to Duke that we have so many potential candidates that have been steeped here. I left off Mike Cragg, Rick Cryst and others I'm sure would all do us proud.......Stay tuned.

devilirium
04-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Cragg may or may not have the personality....but Joe wasn't exactly Mr. Saturday Nite, either....as a friend of mine who works at Duke said, "Joe is dull and not the brightest light in the harbor. He's no Tom Butters".

Indoor66
04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I have favored Leo Hart in earlier posts and still do. He has, obviously long and recently demonstrated, Duke ties and he offers an additional the factor of bringing fresh ideas and approaches to athletic administration. He is not bound to nor beholden to the existing system or people. He can be his own man and propose ideas without stepping on some toes of former superiors. I see this as a strong factor because it has the advantage of the "new blood" desire and the desire for someone with a strong Duke background. Sort of the best of both worlds.

Inonehand
04-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Fan Club. Honestly, this has gotten nutty. Until we begin the search I can't see how anyone on this board or anywhere else can say Leo Hart "is the guy". I truly feel otherwise. I don't think his experience OR personality fit the bill. But, if one is inclined to look at individuals without college athletics experience but Duke ties, then the person I believe Duke should be looking at is John Koskinen. He's brilliant, a consensus builder, DOES have experience running a sports organization, is a fan of all Duke programs, is well respected across campus, and he's actually interesting to talk to. Again, however, let's have a search.

roywhite
04-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Fan Club. Honestly, this has gotten nutty. Until we begin the search I can't see how anyone on this board or anywhere else can say Leo Hart "is the guy". I truly feel otherwise. I don't think his experience OR personality fit the bill. But, if one is inclined to look at individuals without college athletics experience but Duke ties, then the person I believe Duke should be looking at is John Koskinen. He's brilliant, a consensus builder, DOES have experience running a sports organization, is a fan of all Duke programs, is well respected across campus, and he's actually interesting to talk to. Again, however, let's have a search.

Well, the purpose of the search is to get the best available person for the job. But I see nothing wrong with people advocating the candidacy of one or more individuals that they may know.

Leo Hart seems to be a very well qualified candidate. Not the only one, but a very good one. I'm not clear why you think he's not a good candidate for this job?

Jim3k
04-13-2008, 03:06 AM
But, if one is inclined to look at individuals without college athletics experience but Duke ties, then the person I believe Duke should be looking at is John Koskinen. He's brilliant, a consensus builder, DOES have experience running a sports organization, is a fan of all Duke programs, is well respected across campus, and he's actually interesting to talk to. Again, however, let's have a search.

John Koskinen is a brilliant guy and has accomplished things few can equal. He's a major Duke financial supporter; no one can question that. He gave the soccer field because of his Blue Devil blood and he serves as president of the U.S. Soccer Foundation.

He's also 67 or 68 years old. Do you think it is realistic for him to a) want the job b) take the job c) lead Duke athletics for the next 10 or 15 years? He may not be ready to retire, but it's got to be in the back of his mind as on the near horizon.

Nothing against John, but I think we need someone significantly younger.

Duvall
04-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Leo Hart seems to be a very well qualified candidate. Not the only one, but a very good one. I'm not clear why you think he's not a good candidate for this job?

I felt a lot better about his candidacy before I saw some of the people supporting him. Now I am quite concerned.

formerdukeathlete
04-13-2008, 10:34 AM
I felt a lot better about his candidacy before I saw some of the people supporting him. Now I am quite concerned.

Few who have met Leo Hart, know him, would have any concern at all.

Gary Walters, one-time basketball coach, who got out of that business at age 35, pursued a successful securities and investment management career away from college athletics, was hired as Princeton's AD without any AD experience. He is now widely regarded as a top notch administrator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_walters

Some on this Board, like Indoor66, know Gary personally. I also worked with Gary Walters back when. Leo Hart stikes me as having a lot of the same leadership qualities.

Bluedawg
04-13-2008, 06:31 PM
let's have a search.

I agree. The majority of the board jumped on the Paul Johnson bandwagon and said that if he was not hired for HC then Duke was not serious about football. We had a search and look who we got...a very serious football coach.

I'm looking forward to the search. There is a solid staff, a solid interim AD, and a solid strategic plan in place while the search goes on.

I think it will produce great things for Duke.

Inonehand
04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Unless any of us are on the search committee, and I know I am not, nothing we say means a hill of beans where related to the AD search. So, I won't get into specifics where it relates to my comments about Leo Hart. I can just say that I know him, like him just fine, but in no way believe he is right for the job. While I certainly have anonymity on this board, what is there to gain? Yes, I do have plenty of reasons and know plenty of people who feel the exact same way. I also know some that believe he'd be great. Truthfully, I trust a search committee led by Roy Bostock (how in the hell does he have the time to do this). I do hope however, that Dick Brodhead only takes their suggestion and hires who the committee places in front of him. Oh, and to the poster and his comment on the age of John Koskinen...not sure of his exact age, but he has plenty of life left in him if he were to take the job, and he's given much more than money to Duke Athletics.

Jim3k
04-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Oh, and to the poster and his comment on the age of John Koskinen...not sure of his exact age, but he has plenty of life left in him if he were to take the job, and he's given much more than money to Duke Athletics.

That's me. John is Class of '61. He was three years ahead of me in '64. I'm 66. What does that make him?

Look, I have no doubt he's still a ball of energy. I'm glad he is. But for you to throw his name into the mix without really understanding where he stands, either on his age-related energy or on any other basis is the epitome of silliness.

Maybe you should ask him, if you can, whether he's interested. If his answer is yes, then you can ask Dr. Brodhead if he's comfortable with a 69-year old taking over the athletic department. You can also ask John if he is comfortable with moving to Durham from a comfortable situation in DC, where he has lived most of his professional life, and where he would give up a significant international power base at U.S. Soccer. If you can't ask him because you don't know him well enough, then your speculation is worth very little and should have self-scotched your post.

To post here that John is a good choice ignores the realities of his circumstances. Try to stay within the realm of reasonableness.

formerdukeathlete
04-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Unless any of us are on the search committee, and I know I am not, nothing we say means a hill of beans where related to the AD search. So, I won't get into specifics where it relates to my comments about Leo Hart. I can just say that I know him, like him just fine, but in no way believe he is right for the job. While I certainly have anonymity on this board, what is there to gain? Yes, I do have plenty of reasons and know plenty of people who feel the exact same way. I also know some that believe he'd be great. Truthfully, I trust a search committee led by Roy Bostock (how in the hell does he have the time to do this). I do hope however, that Dick Brodhead only takes their suggestion and hires who the committee places in front of him. Oh, and to the poster and his comment on the age of John Koskinen...not sure of his exact age, but he has plenty of life left in him if he were to take the job, and he's given much more than money to Duke Athletics.

You imply that, because you "do have plenty of reasons and know plenty of people who feel the exact same way" that there is something disqualifying about Leo Hart, and then express your hope that Dick Brodhead is the "decider" who would only take suggestions about whom the Committee places before him, but who would be free to override. Well, I dare say that maybe 1% of the Iron Dukes would agree with you on both points. Some may want someone else, other than LH to be AD. Maybe 1 or 2 might trust Brodhead to override the Committee. But, very few would both agree that there is something disqualifying about LH AND also trust DB to make a smart correct decision, overriding our search Committee.

Jumbo
04-13-2008, 11:26 PM
You imply that, because you "do have plenty of reasons and know plenty of people who feel the exact same way" that there is something disqualifying about Leo Hart, and then express your hope that Dick Brodhead is the "decider" who would only take suggestions about whom the Committee places before him, but who would be free to override. Well, I dare say that maybe 1% of the Iron Dukes would agree with you on both points. Some may want someone else, other than LH to be AD. Maybe 1 or 2 might trust Brodhead to override the Committee. But, very few would both agree that there is something disqualifying about LH AND also trust DB to make a smart correct decision, overriding our search Committee.

Uh, read what he wrote again: "I do hope however, that Dick Brodhead only takes their suggestion and hires who the committee places in front of him."
He said he wants Broadhead to hire the persom the committee places in front of him -- just like you do.

roywhite
04-13-2008, 11:56 PM
That's me. John is Class of '61. He was three years ahead of me in '64. I'm 66. What does that make him?

Look, I have no doubt he's still a ball of energy. I'm glad he is. But for you to throw his name into the mix without really understanding where he stands, either on his age-related energy or on any other basis is the epitome of silliness.

Speaking of the class of '64, I wonder if Jeff Mullins would have any interest in the job. Great experience as an athlete, coach, administrator, and business person, and a first class individual.

Perhaps he is not looking for another career at this stage, either? Just a thought.

Bluedawg
04-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Interesting article in today's N&O addressing the issues that the new AD will be facing (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1036273.html):

Mike Krzyzewski's possible retirement and replacement.

Reviving Football

Implementation of a strategic plan

Wallace Wade Stadium upgrades and larger remodel plans

Endowment of scholarships

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1036273.html

Not a small plate to take over.

sagegrouse
04-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Seems like a lot of twaddle about whether the Duke President can and should accept another choice than that of the official Search Committee.

First of all, it is the decision of President Brodhead.

But the more important point is this:

This is not a judicial process. The Duke President is not an Appellate Court ruling on some decision of a lower court. They can and should work together.

This happens all the time with respect to appointing military leaders. The Chairman of the JCS makes recommendations to the Secretary of Defense, who typically makes the decisions for four-star commands. (The President is the Commander in Chief and has the ultimate stay but usually stays out of four-star appointments, except maybe for the Chairman of the JCS. The service secretaries make the recommendations WRT the service chiefs.) If the SecDef prefers another candidate, he tells the Chairman, and then the Chairman supports him. This is why four-star appointments rarely make news and there is strong support for all military appointments from the active duty generals and admirals. (An apparent exception being Adm. Fallon, who left the Centcom command after losing the confidence of the Secretary, was actual a dismissal [And BTW, he acted really arrogant towards his subordinate commanders, the CIA folks, and others].)

Along the same lines, there will be no controversy, I predict, with the Duke AD. Bostock will keep Brodhead informed about the search and insure that, if Brodhead has a preference -- and why wouldn't he want somebody competent? -- that candidate receives the full support of the Search Committee.

So much for the issue of over-rule or rejection of recommendations.

Now you might say, what happened last time, when the committee apparently wanted Mikell (sp?) but President Keohane chose Alleva, based in part on support from Coach K? Well, she didn't handle it very well, did she? Nor did the Search Committee (sorry Feinstein). Obviously, K's views need to be considered early and often, and the Search Committee should do that as well.

I can't see that happening again--

sagegrouse

Inonehand
04-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Jim3k, thanks for pointing out John's approximate age. Doesn't change my feeling that he would be a wonderful CANDIDATE for AD. My point, my opinion is he is more qualified than Leo Hart. That is all. Evidently, the LH club knows Leo is interested. Great. I personally know Mike Cragg is interested and I feel he would do a great job. What is actually silly is that you or anyone else (including me), thinks they know what is best for Duke without knowing the options. Can't know that until there is a search and the committee asks. I know John K. well but have no desire to find out if he's interested. Not my job. Once I find out who is on the committee (I don't know Roy Bostock but know of him and find him a great choice to lead this) I will certainly encourage the members I know to contact anyone I feel is a good option. They can find out if John or anyone else is interested. And thanks to Jumbo for actually reading my post and understanding what I wrote related to the decision makers.

formerdukeathlete
04-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Seems like a lot of twaddle about whether the Duke President can and should accept another choice than that of the official Search Committee.

First of all, it is the decision of President Brodhead.

But the more important point is this:

This is not a judicial process. The Duke President is not an Appellate Court ruling on some decision of a lower court. They can and should work together.

This happens all the time with respect to appointing military leaders. The Chairman of the JCS makes recommendations to the Secretary of Defense, who typically makes the decisions for four-star commands. (The President is the Commander in Chief and has the ultimate stay but usually stays out of four-star appointments, except maybe for the Chairman of the JCS. The service secretaries make the recommendations WRT the service chiefs.) If the SecDef prefers another candidate, he tells the Chairman, and then the Chairman supports him. This is why four-star appointments rarely make news and there is strong support for all military appointments from the active duty generals and admirals. (An apparent exception being Adm. Fallon, who left the Centcom command after losing the confidence of the Secretary, was actual a dismissal [And BTW, he acted really arrogant towards his subordinate commanders, the CIA folks, and others].)

Along the same lines, there will be no controversy, I predict, with the Duke AD. Bostock will keep Brodhead informed about the search and insure that, if Brodhead has a preference -- and why wouldn't he want somebody competent? -- that candidate receives the full support of the Search Committee.

So much for the issue of over-rule or rejection of recommendations.

Now you might say, what happened last time, when the committee apparently wanted Mikell (sp?) but President Keohane chose Alleva, based in part on support from Coach K? Well, she didn't handle it very well, did she? Nor did the Search Committee (sorry Feinstein). Obviously, K's views need to be considered early and often, and the Search Committee should do that as well.

I can't see that happening again--

sagegrouse

Under ordinary circumstances, the dynamic is and should be as your describe, with the search committee and K, obviously, carrying considerable weight, whose recommendations ought to be considered very carefully, with the ultimate decision being that of the President.

Brodhead got his contract renewal (as did Alleva), but I would submit that he acts with authority which is now more probationary than when he started. I would also submit that the unintended beneficial consequence of Brodhead's bungling of the lax matter is that now our Trustees are even more supportive of athletics in general. So, yes, perhaps the final call will be Brodhead's, but only after his "decision" is vented with and approved by Trustees to whom he reports. That is my hope, certainly.

sagegrouse
04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Speaking of the class of '64, I wonder if Jeff Mullins would have any interest in the job. Great experience as an athlete, coach, administrator, and business person, and a first class individual.

Perhaps he is not looking for another career at this stage, either? Just a thought.

I don't think Brodhead wants an interim AD. I expect he would want a ten-year commitment, and at age 65-66, Jeff couldn't and wouldn't make it.

sagegrouse

formerdukeathlete
04-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think Brodhead wants an interim AD. I expect he would want a ten-year commitment, and at age 65-66, Jeff couldn't and wouldn't make it.

sagegrouse

Jeff Mullins, if you read these Boards, please feel free to chime in. Jeff Mullins could certainly make a 5 year commitment, which is the type of contract Duke makes. Cut's is a 5 year deal. It is certainly unrealistic to expect most anyone coming into the situation here to provide credible sustainable assurances, verbal, written or otherwise, that they intend to work for 10 years. That is, unless they were a Leo Hart or Jeff Mullins who have had successful careers and might like to go back to their alma mater for a final stint.

So, if Brodhead, and the Trustees keeping a close eye on him, want a guy for 10 year commitment, ironically a 60 or a 65 year old with close ties to the University might be more reasonably expected to make and honor such a commitment.

Inonehand
04-14-2008, 11:33 AM
with you, formerdukeathlete (I am one also) about the age factor and someone very close to the university and in the higher age range could possibly be more likely to provide that 10 year commitment. Not that you are looking for my agreement.

Bluedawg
04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't think Brodhead wants an interim AD. I expect he would want a ten-year commitment.
sagegrouse

Bottom line is until Mr. Bostock puts his committee together and sets up the guidelines as to what type of individual they will be looking for, all of this speculation and argument over age is meaningless.

We got bogged down over expecting Paul Johnson to come coach football and lost sight of the big picture. Luckily Joe and the committee did not and we got someone who I think will be a much better coach for Duke.

Everyone has their friends or favorites. Names mean nothing until the guidelines are established. There are other issues here other than Leo, or John, or Jeff, or Jackie or Mike and who knows, they might want an entire new direction.

I do not expect a quick process but I expect a very thorough process. We should not get bogged down with favorites this early.

OldBlue
04-14-2008, 02:33 PM
The search and hiring process will be what we have come to observe at Duke. A team of interested parties, some from within the university and some from outside (but with a strong interest in Duke) will be assembled to search for candidates, evaluate them, and make a recommendation to Pres. Brodhead. The only internal candidate at this time is Mike Cragg. Chris Kennedy has specifically said he is not a candidate, although he will serve as interim AD. It appears that Jackie Silar has not expressed interest. Mike Cragg expects to have to compete for the job and to compete with the best the search committee can find, and he is totally comfortable with that.

The only name I've seen in this thread that caused me to think, "You've got to be kidding me," is Dave Hart.

pratt '04
04-19-2008, 11:36 AM
The AD search committee has been announced at goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1443243):

* Roy Bostock, former trustee (chair)
* Richard Riddell, Vice President and University Secretary (vice chair)
* James Coleman, Professor of Law, member of the Athletic Council
* Kip Frey, member of the Athletics Advisory Board
* Sue Harnett, member of the Athletics Advisory Boar
* Jon Jackson, Associate Director of Athletics/Communication
* Kerstin Kimel, Coach, Women’s Lacrosse
* Carol (Cookie) Kohn, trustee, member of the Athletic Council
* John Mack, trustee
* Clarence G. Newsome, trustee
* Kathleen K. Smith, Professor of Biology, Faculty Athletics Representative 1998-2007
* Tallman Trask III, Executive Vice President

I'm a little surprised that there are no current students on the committee.

Indoor66
04-19-2008, 11:54 AM
The AD search committee has been announced at goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1443243):

* Roy Bostock, former trustee (chair)
* Richard Riddell, Vice President and University Secretary (vice chair)
* James Coleman, Professor of Law, member of the Athletic Council
* Kip Frey, member of the Athletics Advisory Board
* Sue Harnett, member of the Athletics Advisory Boar
* Jon Jackson, Associate Director of Athletics/Communication
* Kerstin Kimel, Coach, Women’s Lacrosse
* Carol (Cookie) Kohn, trustee, member of the Athletic Council
* John Mack, trustee
* Clarence G. Newsome, trustee
* Kathleen K. Smith, Professor of Biology, Faculty Athletics Representative 1998-2007
* Tallman Trask III, Executive Vice President

I'm a little surprised that there are no current students on the committee.

It looks like a reasonable group to me. I don't see any reason to add a current student to a board for this purpose.

bill brill
04-20-2008, 02:34 PM
I would be interested in why somebody who likes leo hart believes he is not a good choice for AD. I was told at the football scrimmage yesterday that a prominent group of football alums are supporting leo's candidacy. I suspect they are all major contributors.

Inonehand
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Leo doesn't have the experience that shows he is the right person for the job. Someone on this board was pointing to the Princeton AD as a great example of someone without athletics experience can be a good AD. Other than some professors on campus and maybe some administators, I don't think anyone associated with Duke Athletics wants us emulating Ivy League athletics. A better example of where it DOES NOT work is at Michigan. A real D-I department. Horrible decision to hire a successful business man into a job he was not prepared for.
And that committee will not hire Leo Hart. Group of football alums supporting him or not. They seem to be representative and knowledgeable.

Bluedawg
04-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I would be interested in why somebody who likes leo hart believes he is not a good choice for AD. I was told at the football scrimmage yesterday that a prominent group of football alums are supporting leo's candidacy. I suspect they are all major contributors.

We want the best person for the job, and I would hope that someone's level of giving would not be the final deciding factor. We want to good solid AD, not a bought and paid for one.

throatybeard
04-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Speaking of the shoestring play.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to meet Leo Hart at some Iron Dukes tailgate or something. The stupid part of my brain was the only part to engage, so I said "hey, your shoestring is undone." He didn't find that amusing.

Huh?
04-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Could Battier be AD and play in the NBA?
Dumb question, of course he could.

Indoor66
04-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Could Battier be AD and play in the NBA?
Dumb question, of course he could.

Only if Patrick Davidson was Assistant AD. :p

big12devil
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Ron Sally would be another quality A.D. candidate for the search committee:

-->captain of the Duke's 1984 football team (QB); law degree from UCLA
-->Played briefly under Steve Spurrier with the USFL's Tamba Bay Bandits
-->Has extensive experience Sports Mangement, Marketing,and Operations:
--Was COO of the Colorado Crush in the Arena Football League
--Was SVP of Business and Admin (as well as General Counsel) for many years with Kroenke Sports Enterprises, owner of the NHL's Colorado Avalanche and the NBA's Denver Nuggets
-->Negotiated TV contracts, individual players' contracts; NBA salary cap and collective bargaining expert
-->Liked and respected by NBA Commissioner David Stern
-->Lives in Denver
-->Keeps in touch with the likes Coach K, Chris Kennedy,and others at Duke

Kewlswim
04-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Hi,

Both Ron and Randy are really good people. I am not sure how good an AD Ron would make, but if he was interested we should take a look at him.

GO DUKE!

Ron Sally would be another quality A.D. candidate for the search committee:

-->captain of the Duke's 1984 football team (QB); law degree from UCLA
-->Played briefly under Steve Spurrier with the USFL's Tamba Bay Bandits
-->Has extensive experience Sports Mangement, Marketing,and Operations:
--Was COO of the Colorado Crush in the Arena Football League
--Was SVP of Business and Admin (as well as General Counsel) for many years with Kroenke Sports Enterprises, owner of the NHL's Colorado Avalanche and the NBA's Denver Nuggets
-->Negotiated TV contracts, individual players' contracts; NBA salary cap and collective bargaining expert
-->Liked and respected by NBA Commissioner David Stern
-->Lives in Denver
-->Keeps in touch with the likes Coach K, Chris Kennedy,and others at Duke

drjcs3
05-03-2008, 02:00 PM
I hope Duke is able to hire an A.D. who is able to restore the perceived level of quality that existed when Tom Butters was there. Athletes don't need an apologist, but a strong advocate for their unique role at any university.

CameronBornAndBred
05-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I only care that whoever we get stands by their own convictions and is not playing yes-man to the powers that be. Alleva was a money man, and we hurt because he wouldn't spend (put his back behind it either) when he needed to. The only reason he shelled out for Cutcliffe is public pressure said his bosses better pay up. He curtailed to budget expectations, and we went in the dumper in football and lost coaches (bye, Gail) because of it. I want whoever gets the job to be able to say to the money people "this is what/who we need and if we have to shell some bucks, so be it". Spend some cash without fear, and reap the rewards.

Inonehand
05-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I hope Duke is able to hire an A.D. who is able to restore the perceived level of quality that existed when Tom Butters was there. Athletes don't need an apologist, but a strong advocate for their unique role at any university.

Do you want a perceived level of quality or an actual level of quality? The department, facilities, and overall success of all programs (except football remained poor) rose to a much higher level under Joe Alleva than under Tom Butters. My feelings on Joe during the lax stuff remain that I wish he had stood strong (he did not) as the other side of the street caved around him, but to say Duke Athletics was better off under the part-time management of Tom Butters is a statement void of reality.

devilirium
05-03-2008, 04:18 PM
With the revenue sports, Butters made better hires. I don't think that you could count on Joe to hire Gail G, Coach K, or Steve Spurrier, John Rennie. And despite the fact that Duke Football didn't flourish under Goldsmith, well he was still better than Carl or Ted.

Joe's best hires are Kimel, Danowski, and perhaps McNally--though I'm a little less fond of a coach that would refuse to send his players out in a non existent rainstorm to preserve a tie. I'm not going to count David Cutcliffe, because the insiders know that he wanted Karl Dorrell.

Butters had a lot more clout as an AD then Joe ever dreamed about. Ask Frank Dascenzo who was better. TB wasn't a big faciliities guy and that was his biggest weakness. Joe was also more proactive in hiring academic support.

DukeU3x
05-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Nothing greater than a hunch, absolutly nothing greater than a hunch. I figure there are three (2 from hoops one from f’ball) solids being considered, plus one Cutt offered up (courtesy call), plus 2 that are really good considerations that wrote letters (but never ran a big time program in their lives), and then K’s choice. I figure either Broadback will make a decision soon or will strip all his gears later and end up bambling into the distance.

The names will emerge soon, but I honestly think those are the numbers.

sagegrouse
05-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Nothing greater than a hunch, absolutly nothing greater than a hunch. I figure there are three (2 from hoops one from f’ball) solids being considered, plus one Cutt offered up (courtesy call), plus 2 that are really good considerations that wrote letters (but never ran a big time program in their lives), and then K’s choice. I figure either Broadback will make a decision soon or will strip all his gears later and end up bambling into the distance.

Can anyone translate the above post into a modern European language?

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
05-04-2008, 09:24 AM

The Tandem is pretty darn solid last time I looked. Neither of us has ever been a shape-shifter. And we've never wavered in our love of Duke or Duke athletics, perhaps the most important overall quality the new AD can bring to the job. Where do we fit in your list above, DukeU3x?

devildeac
05-04-2008, 11:58 AM
The Tandem is pretty darn solid last time I looked. Neither of us has ever been a shape-shifter. And we've never wavered in our love of Duke or Duke athletics, perhaps the most important overall quality the new AD can bring to the job. Where do we fit in your list above, DukeU3x?

Don't you have a wedding or something like that to be getting ready for instead of campaigning:D ? It's time for all of us to now send OZZIE and his family all the positive vibes and best wishes for great weather, a lovely ceremony, safe travel and many, many happy years of marriage for his daughter who will be married this afternoon. See you in a couple hours or so.

Bluedawg
05-04-2008, 06:30 PM

Can anyone translate the above post into a modern European language?

sagegrouse

All he has is a hunch, but there are 3 strong candidates. Two who are strongly tied to basketball and one strongly tied to football. There is a fourth who came from courtesy call from Coach Cut.

We also have two very strong candidates who wrote letters of application, but neither one of them has ever run a big time athletic program before. There is one more who is Coach K’s first choice bringing the candidate pool up to 7. A decision should be made soon and we should be hearing about who these 7 people are as well.

[sorry, no idea what “strip all his gears later and end up bambling into the distance” means]

devildeac
05-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Also, BTW, who is Broadback?:o

formerdukeathlete
05-04-2008, 11:13 PM
We want the best person for the job, and I would hope that someone's level of giving would not be the final deciding factor. We want to good solid AD, not a bought and paid for one.

As we have noted, Gary Walters had not been involved in athletic admin. prior to his AD job at Princeton (though he had been a college b-ball coach). He had a successful business career. He now is widely acknowledged as a terrific AD.

Leo Hart has been on the athletics advisory council for how long?! He has had a very successful business career - managing and administering. He has fundraising ties, contacts for the University . And, the most important job of our AD is and will be fundraising. It is not a long shot to say that Leo Hart would do an excellent job. Were he appointed it would be for many reasons in addition to and other than that boosters like him. How about helping out the Football program? Who better as an AD to do that?

brevity
05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Saw this in my e-mail inbox today:

As recently announced by President Richard Brodhead, a search committee has been formed to identify outstanding candidates for the position of Director of Athletics. I accepted the President's invitation to chair this committee because I know the vital role Athletics plays in the life of the university. Vice President and University Secretary Richard Riddell is committee vice-chair and serving with us are: trustees Carol (Cookie) Kohn, John Mack, and Clarence G. Newsome; faculty James Coleman and Kathleen Smith; members of the athletic department Jon Jackson and Kerstin Kimel; alumni Kip Frey and Sue Harnett; and university administrator Tallman Trask. The committee's charge is to present to the President a short list of highly qualified candidates.

As the search committee begins its review of candidates' credentials, we must clearly define Duke's needs and determine the type of leader who is best suited to help us achieve our goals. I write now to ask you to share your thoughts about the challenges and opportunities that you believe Duke Athletics will face in the coming decade. We also encourage your suggestions about specific qualifications you believe candidates should have for dealing with the challenges ahead.

The committee will conduct a comprehensive national search to identify a diverse pool of outstanding candidates. We welcome your thoughts about individuals who are well qualified to fill this important position, because we know that our best sources of nominations are those who are closest to the University. Nominations should, when possible, be accompanied by a profile or curriculum vitae. In order to meet our timetables, we ask that you respond by May 15th. Your correspondence, which will be held in the strictest confidence, should be sent to admin-search@duke.edu or the following address:

Director of Athletics Search Committee
Box 90030
Durham , NC 27708-0030

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with the search committee.

Sincerely,

Roy J. Bostock '62, Trustee Emeritus
Search Committee Chair

Maybe someone who knows OZZIE by name can place it in the suggestion box.

Inonehand
05-05-2008, 11:38 PM
As we have noted, Gary Walters had not been involved in athletic admin. prior to his AD job at Princeton (though he had been a college b-ball coach). He had a successful business career. He now is widely acknowledged as a terrific AD.

Leo Hart has been on the athletics advisory council for how long?! He has had a very successful business career - managing and administering. He has fundraising ties, contacts for the University . And, the most important job of our AD is and will be fundraising. It is not a long shot to say that Leo Hart would do an excellent job. Were he appointed it would be for many reasons in addition to and other than that boosters like him. How about helping out the Football program? Who better as an AD to do that?

hire for and AD position that has worked out in an exemplary fashion. And Michigan ain't one of them. Lastly, to borrow a little from AI, "Princeton? We talkin' about Princeton? We're talking about Princeton man. We're talking about Princeton. We're not talking about the ACC/BCS/Scholarship Athletics. We're talking about Princeton. We're not even talking about the ACC/BCS/Scholarship Athletics, schools that actually matter, we're talking about Princeton!" Please.

formerdukeathlete
05-06-2008, 09:24 AM
hire for and AD position that has worked out in an exemplary fashion. And Michigan ain't one of them. Lastly, to borrow a little from AI, "Princeton? We talkin' about Princeton? We're talking about Princeton man. We're talking about Princeton. We're not talking about the ACC/BCS/Scholarship Athletics. We're talking about Princeton. We're not even talking about the ACC/BCS/Scholarship Athletics, schools that actually matter, we're talking about Princeton!" Please.

Gary Walters, Princeton's AD, played point guard for Princeton on the 1965 NCAA Final Four men’s basketball team with Bill Bradley. Team had a 25-3 record, and finished the season ranked No. 5 in the national polls. He was also a big time program coach for Providence college. As AD he has raised a lot of money, built a new football stadium, mens lacrosse has been excellent. Yes, he is at Princeton, but he was a big-time player and a big-time coach. Gary Walters is a member of the NCAA tournament selection committee - the guy is still big time. But, his career was mostly in business, and then Princeton hired him as AD.

While not a coach, Leo Hart has been involved with Duke athletics in an official capacity for many years, he was a star QB for Duke. He can evaluate Football. I think he is one who pushed for Cut rather than JA's pick to replace Roof with UCLA's ex-coach.

Judgment, practical judgment, business sense, common sense are so important in the case of an AD. Leo Hart defintiely has it. And, as we face needing to raise $100 million for athletics over the next 5 years, we better appoint someone who is an accomplished administrator, as well as manager, AND who will be excellent in the fundraising capacity. I still have not heard the name of another candidate who would be better suited to Duke's pressing needs than LH.

Inonehand
05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Gary Walters, Princeton's AD, played point guard for Princeton on the 1965 NCAA Final Four men’s basketball team with Bill Bradley. Team had a 25-3 record, and finished the season ranked No. 5 in the national polls. He was also a big time program coach for Providence college. As AD he has raised a lot of money, built a new football stadium, mens lacrosse has been excellent. Yes, he is at Princeton, but he was a big-time player and a big-time coach. Gary Walters is a member of the NCAA tournament selection committee - the guy is still big time. But, his career was mostly in business, and then Princeton hired him as AD.

While not a coach, Leo Hart has been involved with Duke athletics in an official capacity for many years, he was a star QB for Duke. He can evaluate Football. I think he is one who pushed for Cut rather than JA's pick to replace Roof with UCLA's ex-coach.

Judgment, practical judgment, business sense, common sense are so important in the case of an AD. Leo Hart defintiely has it. And, as we face needing to raise $100 million for athletics over the next 5 years, we better appoint someone who is an accomplished administrator, as well as manager, AND who will be excellent in the fundraising capacity. I still have not heard the name of another candidate who would be better suited to Duke's pressing needs than LH.

Don't think you will hear any names for awhile. But you will.

Bluedawg
05-06-2008, 03:46 PM

i have made no comment for or against anybody for the AD's job. The comment you quoted was in response to Mr. Brill's comment "I was told at the football scrimmage yesterday that a prominent group of football alums are supporting leo's candidacy. I suspect they are all major contributors."

It was the inference that someone should get consideration because a bunch of major contributors suppoprt them.

norduck
05-15-2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2890588/

Indoor66
05-16-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2890588/

A great 9 minute interview with an excellent alumnus and candidate for AD!

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-16-2008, 12:48 PM
And talk about compliments! Wes Chesson's enthusiastic endorsement of Leo Hart says a lot.

Inonehand
05-16-2008, 11:14 PM
And talk about compliments! Wes Chesson's enthusiastic endorsement of Leo Hart says a lot.

Says a lot about what? They're close friends.

roywhite
05-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Says a lot about what? They're close friends.

I'm sure Wes has plenty of close friends that he would not recommend for Athletic Director at Duke. Give him some credit.

Bluedawg
05-17-2008, 10:33 AM

Everything I've read about him has made me think that he may be the best man for the job. Then a ran across these comments that concern me. Taken from an N&O article May 16, 2008 (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1074622.html)

"I am certainly interested in what is best for Duke," said Hart, 59, in a news conference of inductees at the North Carolina Museum of History.

"Duke has been near and dear to my heart forever. It gave me a foundation after I left Kinston. If there were ways I could help Duke, certainly I'd be interested, and I'd be honored to do so."

Not an enthusiastic "yes i want it" but a very guarded "If they want me I'll serve because i owe them."

Indoor66
05-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Everything I've read about him has made me think that he may be the best man for the job. Then a ran across these comments that concern me. Taken from an N&O article May 16, 2008 (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1074622.html)

Not an enthusiastic "yes i want it" but a very guarded "If they want me I'll serve because i owe them."

I don't read it the same way. I hear an experienced business man being appropriately low key on a position that will be decided by a committee making a selection after an evaluation process. I don't think anyone should publicly lay it all on the line in that situation.

Ben Cohen
05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Just spoke with Richard Riddell, vice chair of the committee, and while he understandably couldn't give names of candidates, he did have some interesting things to say (http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/ad-search-moving-expeditiously/). Check it out at The Chronicle's Sports Blog, dukechroniclesports.com.

Inonehand
05-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Just spoke with Richard Riddell, vice chair of the committee, and while he understandably couldn't give names of candidates, he did have some interesting things to say (http://chroniclesports.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/ad-search-moving-expeditiously/). Check it out at The Chronicle's Sports Blog, dukechroniclesports.com.

Nothing new here. Sorry.

devilirium
05-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Riddell's comments about Duke being so special that only a few people can be considered are about what I expected. The holier than thou attitude needs to take a backseat. Hire a good candidate. There's no need to get into a self indugent lovefest.

Inonehand
05-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Riddell's comments about Duke being so special that only a few people can be considered are about what I expected. The holier than thou attitude needs to take a backseat. Hire a good candidate. There's no need to get into a self indugent lovefest.

Post of the month. Duke fans/coaches/administrators wonder why so many absolutely despise us...this is the attitude that brings it on. Not just the fact we're good. Some in charge need to realize they had nothing to do with Duke being the place it is...their job is to not screw it up.

Bluedawg
05-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Word on the street says we should have an answer early June.

Ben Cohen
05-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Might be quicker than that. N&O reporting that Duke expects to hire Kevin White, Notre Dame's athletic director (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1090887.html). Yesterday, the vice chair of the search committee told The Chronicle that the committee expected to provide recommendations to President Richard Brodhead "early in the summer, in June I would say." When talking about the value of an internal candidate, he did mention some other schools with the same ideals, including Notre Dame. The Chronicle's Sports Blog (http://www.dukechroniclesports.com) will try to get confirmation and keep everyone updated on the paper's main page and on the blog.

Inonehand
05-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Let's be honest. He's done a mediocre job, at best, with Notre dame football. Doesn't mean it's his fault, just don't see him as some sort of savior. I do respect Notre Dame's overall athletic program and their academic standards where it comes to athletes. Lastly, Mike Brey as our next basketball head coach? Wouldn't surprise me.

chrishoke
05-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Let's be honest. He's done a mediocre job, at best, with Notre dame football. Doesn't mean it's his fault, just don't see him as some sort of savior. I do respect Notre Dame's overall athletic program and their academic standards where it comes to athletes. Lastly, Mike Brey as our next basketball head coach? Wouldn't surprise me.

Save us from what? On its face, looks like a very solid hire.

gotham devil
05-31-2008, 12:10 PM
If you knew anything about Notre Dame football, fans are very pleased with the Weis hiring. Recruiting hasn't been this strong since Lou Holtz' early years. They couldn't stand Davie's ineptitude or Willingham's laziness.

ND fans criticize White for poor negotiating (taking far less BCS money for a modest guarantee in years where they don't reach the BCS), future barnstorming (viewed as selling out the ND brand in the name of gate receipts), upcoming football schedule (severely weakened through 2016), and
extraordinarily slow building (Brey has been dealing with the inadequate JACC for years...even after Phil Purcell donated a substantial amount to his alma mater in order to renovate the basketball facility). These are some of the reasons that ND fans are rejoicing.

In fairness to White, the Duke job should be substantially easier. As the AD at ND, one has to operate as a "commisioner of one." He won't have to negotiate directly with networks or have to deal nearly as extensively with the politically difficult world of out of conference football scheduling, let alone at a football power (although, theoretically, Cutcliffe will be able to change the culture). Being part of a BCS conference should make his life easier and allow him to concentrate more fully on being a fundraiser. At this point in his life, he should be able to deal with any difficulty that may arise during his time at Duke.

This is a solid hire.

buddy
05-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Isn't he the guy that hired George O'Leary?

Ben Cohen
05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Full story of White's introductory press conference up on The Chronicle, plus a live blog, constant updates and some photos of White and Brodhead on The Chronicle's Sports Blog, dukechroniclesports.com (http://www.dukechroniclesports.com).

Lotus000
05-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Isn't he the guy that hired George O'Leary?

That's what *I* was also about to say.

O'Leary, Weis...yeah, this guy has a GREAT track record.

Also, let's not talk about the implications of moving from a very religious-oriented Catholic university to a traditional-Methodist but now super-liberal university. Stuff like that is in the 'intangibles' bracket, but adds up.

I can't get behind this up-front.